Golston's Big Day

Defensive tackle Kedric Golston had a heck of a game Sunday, as we've documented, but the young lineman is far from satisfied. Golston, a chronic over-achiever, was glad that he was able to generate penetration in key moments - like during the goal line stands - and has gained a solid grasp on his starting position over Anthony Montgomery.

With Cornelius Griffin's shoulder ailing, Golston and Montgomery could very well end up next to each other from the opening snap Sunday, and Golston delegated a lot of the credit for his performance against the Browns to Griffin and Montgomery.

"I took some steps in the right direction," Golston said. "It was the defense they put me in that allowed me to really attack up-field, and if wasn't for Monty and Griff doing what they did - winning their battles - that freed it up for me inside."

Golston has always responded well to the authoritarian tones of defensive coordinator Greg Blache - the defensive line coach before replacing Gregg Williams as the overlord of the entire defense - and harps on himself for all of the same fundamentals that Blache holds so dear. Footwork and hand placement are his primary concerns.

"For me it's consistency, getting better shoring up some thing in my game," Golston said. "Defensive tackle is not a real complicated position, but it is very physical and fundamentals are very, very important and I'm really concerned with my fundamentals and not being concerned about what they're doing across from me."

Blache said that Golston had an outstanding game and was particularly stellar on the goal-line stands.

"Usually people aren't that persistent continually going after him like they did," Blache said. "Kedric's done that before. It wasn't the first time we've seen it. Kedric knows he's capable of doing it. His technique was good. His intensity was good. And it all just came to fruition. It all just kind of fit at the right time on Sunday."

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 23, 2008; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report
Next: Skins-Lions: One Year Later

Comments

Golston= Number 1

Posted by: kreitmaster | October 23, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Keep it going Golston, dudes earning a payday after next year I think it is.

Another steal of a draft pick, along with Montgomery, that's some very nice late round work right there.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Refresh my memory if any one knows? When and what round were these guys drafted? These are indeed two great undersung guys to have on a team...

Posted by: buke | October 23, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Golston 6th rd 2006
Montgomery 5th rd 2006

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 23, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

just to finish off the punt block thoughts ... In sports, when there is pressure, the chance of a mistake goes way up. A punter has a rhythm, get him to change that rhythm and see what happens.

If you bring 9 guys and they can only block 8, there is a decent chance for a mistake by someone, whether its the snapper, punter or blocker missing an assignment. And because the punter's rhythm is different, there is a decent chance at a poor kick if he does get it away.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 23, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I've been a big fan of Griffin. But from what I've been able to see, Golston simply looks like the better player.

I did spend some time last game watching Jason Taylor, about 5 plays where I just watched how he did. Nothing. The reports here say he is still healing and he isn't playing at full speed. I can't comment on the medical stuff, but he got handled pretty easily on every play I saw. Maybe he needs to give it a rest for another week or even through the bye.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 23, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 -- I agree with your thoughts on Taylor, I didn't see anything from him either.

But I guess when you have his history, they'll keep giving him a chance to see if can pop it loose at some point.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

love goldy and monty both are good against the run and know how to hold their spots. Never see them play out of position, but I still think we need a destroy the pocket guy and if we can put more pounds, muscle preferably, on one of these guys and get them into the mode where they bust through between the C&G gap on most the downs then we are gtg.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 23, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should just start trading all of our high round picks and get as many late round picks as possible.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 23, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

If you're gonna rush 9 to block a punt and you're giving up on the return, why not just rush all 11? The only down side would be if the ball got tipped instead of blocked. Also, if it's 4th and more than 15 why not just maul the punter anyway? He's not gonna be right for the rest of the game. I've often thought about that one.

Also, on a completely unrelated topic, I just found out about Weatherspoon's death (Bullets). Man, how tragic. I still remember the loudspeaker in the Cap Centre "Spooooooooooooooooonnnnnnn". RIP Spoon.

Posted by: captjim | October 23, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Taking the "roughing" penalty is an automatic first down.

But yeah, if your gonna do it, might as well go all out, right?

Also sorry to hear about Weatherspoon, I will have to look into that.

Is it too early for the Pro Bowl voting already:

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks craig2- Well that answers why they don't do it. I did not know that it was an AUTOMATIC 1st down. I thought it was just a 15 yarder - DUH!

As far as Spoon - it was a really tragic story about him that never got covered. I had NO idea. Kinda like Joe Pace. Outta sight, outta mind.

The NFL does the same thing to their old guys. What they're doing to Artie Donovan is pathetic.

Posted by: captjim | October 23, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I also wanted to see how everybody feels about ocho cinco.

Check this story out. I'm getting kind of sick of it. I thought it was pretty funny at first but now it's getting TOish...

Posted by: captjim | October 23, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

everything is aligning right for the skins to have a bye week this week...
peter the clown has picked the lions to win all we need his for jasno to pick the lions and we're home free!!! even if jasno doesn't cooperate i think we're good...this will be an exhale game!!!

OMG!!! the ump just made the most idiotic call against the phillies...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 23, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

captJim, Chad is a joke, I didn't like the guy when they were winning, and I still don't. I am not sure that I would put him in the same category as TO, but he sure is close.

And it is pretty sad to see and hear some of things that are happening with so many retired players of many of the major sports. One would think that the leagues could do more, SHOULD do more.

dealer, the more I think about this game, the more I feel good about it. I had a funny feeling about the Rams game, something just wasn't right. I had a bad feeling about the Browns game too, and it was way too close.

I expect there to be some close points against the Lions, but I think the Skins really are ready for this game, they're gearing up for Pittsburgh in the back of their minds too, so there gonna start it this week, and get things clicking.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Captjim, on the ocho cinco jersey, what a waste. By the time he starts using it he will be washed up, if he isn't already.

What is up with some of these premadona WRs? You don't see this type of attitudes from other position players. Wierd.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 23, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

dealer, could not believe that call, but it worked against the phillies so I won't complain to loud.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 23, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, yeah it is weird, why so much of this type of behavior from the WR position? It seems prevalent.

There must be something about the position that attracts the personality type I guess.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Remember "The Fun Bunch"?
Jerry Rice?
Art Monk?

They were CLASS.

At first I thought this ocho cinco guy was pretty funny, as if he was spoofing the WR's and their primadonna attitudes. I am afraid to say that the joke was on me, he's serious. VERY TOish...

Posted by: captjim | October 23, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 23, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I had seen that earlier TWISI, I really liked these stats from that article:

Portis is building his production to a climax as games go on this season, averaging 3.3 yards per carry in the first quarter, 4.6 in the second, 6.7 in the third and 5.4 in the fourth. That’s reflected in his attempts as well: He’s averaging 3.6 yards per carry in his first 10 attempts, 6.1 yards per carry in his second 10 attempts, and a spectacular 7.3 yards in carries 21 to 25.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

craig2 I'm feeling those stats as well. It is really surprising to me the skins aren't scoring more. CP is having monster year. Moss, Cooley, ARE all have 30+ catches and are averging 12+ yards/reception. This team should be putting a bunch of points up.

Posted by: TWISI | October 23, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1-

Griffin and Golston are on the field at the same time, and have different responsibilities, so..you know..not a fair comparison

Posted by: kreator6996 | October 23, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

J lewis didn't go nowhere thanks to the d tackles

Posted by: Ilikecougars | October 23, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

There is definitely a disconnect between the skins total offense and scoring offense (#7 total offense, #18 scoring offense).
Some part of it is that we have been run-centric. More, I think, has been that we've been settling for FGs much more than we should. Also, we haven't had a ton of field-shortening turnovers. So in some sense, we've had to earn more points than most.
Can it continue? Well, at some point we're going to lose a game because we settled for a FG instead of getting a TD. Until then, it's just a stat.

Posted by: daggar | October 23, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

The defense is also suffering a disconnect between scoring and total defense... #6 in total, #12 in scoring.
I think I'll refer to that as the "Brooks Effect"...

Posted by: daggar | October 23, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey all! Remember just a couple years ago we were bemoaning the fact that the 'Skins couldn't win the close ones? Well, now they are!!

Our share of blowouts will come; right now let's enjoy the fact that we're not getting rattled by a close game.

Posted by: Schroeder12 | October 23, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Several good points and thoughts above.

I have also noticed the apparent disconnect (very good word choice there daggar), I have been looking at it from a "translation" standpoint. Moving the ball doesn't always add up to points, so why not?

I think a large part of it is still the reality of the new offense. I think Zorn has sort of fallen into a "rut" with the success of the running game. He seems to be someone big on "trust", and he trusts Portis and the running game.

I also think this will change as the season progresses. We have already lost a game as a direct result of this odd dynamic (outgained the Rams nearly 2-1 but still lost) of not getting into the endzone at the end of long drives. In the Rams game, turnovers added to the issue, but a few simple penalties also killed drives because Zorn tried to recover using the running game rather than open it up.

I firmly believe Zorn recognizes this and will work to change it in the coming weeks, in particular this week against Detroit.

I don't think we can beat the Steelers the same way we beat the Browns, it will need to be more like the way we beat the Cardinals or Saints, making several big plays along the way.

I guess we'll see, but I think we'll see some change-up type stuff against Detroit.

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Schroeder12 -- Yeah man! That's a little product of Zorn too I think. The guy just oozes confidence, and it is resonating through the team. Much like the way they came back from a disastrous first quarter in Philly and got the win.

He's got this team believing!

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The Rams game was an outlier because they scored TDs in the 4th quarter -- but they lost the ball three times after 30-40-50 yard drives. In that sense, they settled for turnovers instead of touchdowns.

But in general, each of the wins has been closer on the scoreboard than the marching up and down the field would indicate.

Posted by: daggar | October 23, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Yup daggar, so the question is: what will give first, the wins turn to losses or the yards turn to points?

Cuz as the season progresses, odds are, one of the two will come forward.

You think?

Posted by: craig2 | October 23, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

What the duece? My Comment is waiting approval??

Posted by: kost52 | October 24, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

This feels like one of those "past performance is not indicative of future results" types of statistics.
You would like to think that Zorn is burning the midnight oil trying to get more points out of the offense. But you're not going to be able to close the total offense/scoring gap without someone (like, say, Detroit) coughing the ball up deep in their end.
Multiple times.
Failing that, we just hope that they score "enough points to win", which isn't a bad statistic... 5-2 is tied for #5...

Posted by: daggar | October 24, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Just reading on of ESPN's many previews of the game this weekend, and noticed this.

After 7 Weeks in 2008 Clinton Portis has 818 yards. After 7 Weeks in 2007 Clinton Portis had 433 yards.

Wow! Fair improvement huh!

Posted by: kost52 | October 24, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

More from ESPN -

It sure seems like Washington has the advantage over Detroit in every possible area, but there is one exception: special teams. So far this year, Detroit ranks third in the Football Outsiders special-teams ratings, including first in field goals and punting. Washington ranks 29th in special teams.

The Washington offense gets successively better with each quarter. So does the Detroit defense. Of course, the Washington offense's worst rank in any quarter is 19th in the first quarter of games. The Detroit defense's best rank is 19th, in the fourth quarter.

Posted by: kost52 | October 24, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's Accuscore Prediction-

There is only a 24 percent chance that Detroit can get their first win this week. The Lions need huge production from Calvin Johnson while limiting turnovers. If Johnson has 80+ yards and 1+ TD receptions and the Lions turn the ball over no more than once the Lions only lose by an average of 2 points. If they have no turnovers then the Lions actually have a 53 percent chance of winning. Look for Washington to keep riding Clinton Portis. He has a 57 percent chance of rushing for 100+ yards and if he does this the Redskins have an 88 percent chance of winning.

J.Campbell - 20/30 239 Yards 1.5 TD .5 Int 103.8 QB Rat.
C.Portis - 25 Car. 113 Yards .9 TD
S.Moss - 5.1 Rec. 74.2 Yards .4 TD
C.Cooley - 4.8 Rec 56 Yards .4 TD

Def - 2.4 Sacks .7 Int .7 Fumble Rec.

Posted by: kost52 | October 24, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Kelly's condition is a chronic one?
My brother who is a doctor believes that once fluid gets in the knee it will keep happening. Therefore Kelly is a wasted pick.
I want to be positive, but I am not a doctor so some gloom and doom is setting in.
Does this mean that there is a limit to what MK12 can contribute going forward? Or will a season of rest fix the problem and allow him to reach the potential everyone thinks he has?

Posted by: Predator48

Ummm... maybe ask your brother? The doctor?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 24, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

RedskinWillie -- What, you seem to expect people to actually be reasonable, maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Posted by: craig2 | October 24, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I understand that voting for the NFL Pro Bowl starts early every year. But as usual, it irritates me this year too. I don't have as much problem with the Pro Bowl itself as many do, but it isn't even the halfway point of the regular season yet!

Every year there are a number of players that are "snubbed" by the Pro Bowl voting, and I'm sure this year it will be no different.

There may be some hope this season however because of the fact that there is no single dominant team taking over media attention at this point in the season. Let's hope so.

There is also a relatively loud clamour to not even play this game every year. There are a number different reasons cited for this, from the game itself being boring to watch to claims that most players don't WANT to play in it.

Posted by: craig2 | October 24, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 24, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

It is nice to see Kedrick Golston getting he credit he deserves for a GREAT game. Good job KG and good job Jason to make sure that KG gets some recognition. Somehwere out there Ryan Boschetti is probably pleased also to see KG step up..

Posted by: iseyij | October 24, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse