Keiland Williams picks up load for injured Torain

Redskins running back Ryan Torain strained his left hamstring on the final play of the first half of Sunday's 37-25 loss to Detroit, an injury that left Keiland Williams not only as the featured back in the second half, but as the only healthy back active for the game.

"When you come in on this level, you know things happen real quick," Williams said. "Just throughout the process of the week, you just prepare yourself for situations like this. For any position, you're always one play away from being the guy."

With 11 seconds remaining in the second quarter, Torain took a pass from quarterback Donovan McNabb and gained 13 yards along the left side, getting out of bounds in time for the Redskins to kick a field goal that put them up 13-7 at the break. But he felt something pull on the play.

"I was just striding out the last play of the half, and just strained my left hamstring," Torain said.

To that point, Torain - coming off of back-to-back 100-yard games -- had been ineffective on the ground, gaining just 10 yards on nine carries. When Torain couldn't loosen the hamstring by riding an exercise bike at halftime, Williams took over. He had just four career carries coming in, but gained 25 yards on six carries in the second half, including a five-yard touchdown run that put the Redskins up 19-14 early in the fourth quarter.

"I was just running to daylight," Williams said.

Chad Simpson, who could have served as a backup to Williams, was among the Redskins' inactives for the game. He had battled a hamstring problem during the week, but Coach Mike Shanahan said Friday Simpson seemed healthy enough to play. Starter Clinton Portis missed his fourth straight game with a groin injury.

McNabb, though, was the Redskins' leading rusher on the day, gaining 45 yards on four carries, including a 36-yard jaunt that was his longest since 2007. McNabb, though, was also sacked six times for 46 yards in losses. (Sacks do not count against a quarterback's rushing totals.)

By Barry Svrluga  | October 31, 2010; 6:54 PM ET
Categories:  Keiland Williams, Running backs, Ryan Torain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb benched because Grossman gave team best chance, Shanahan says
Next: Penalties contribute to Redskins' unraveling vs. Lions

Comments

I was willing to give Shanahan a long leash this season, since he inherited a mess...but I disagreed with this decision. I think you leave McNabb in, then assess the situation during the BYE week.

I'm not concerned with pissing McNabb off. If McNabb is not playing well then he should be called out.

The O-line is playing horribly...they need a foot in their azz!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 31, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: davidpr16 | October 31, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Our O-line sucks mainly because of LeakenMeister and Rabach. Hicks has his occasional fuc#up, and the RT position is in flux midway through the season.

Even high school teams have found their starters long before the midway point of a season.

ShannyMan and son Kyle, way to go nepotisers, your doing a heck of a job!

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 31, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

well, I won't cut shanny any slack. this has to be the most assanine move i have seen in quite sometime. to take out a qb that is warm and has a feel for the game at that point is beyond stupid, although mcnabb was not on point, don't play me for an idiot and tell me grossman gave us the best chance to win this game. HANG THIS ONE ON BOY WONDER KYLE AND HIS DADDY! BONEHEADS! GET A PERSONALITY MIKEY.

Posted by: dannyandvinnymustgo | October 31, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

well, I won't cut shanny any slack. this has to be the most assanine move i have seen in quite sometime. to take out a qb that is warm and has a feel for the game at that point is beyond stupid, although mcnabb was not on point, don't play me for an idiot and tell me grossman gave us the best chance to win this game. HANG THIS ONE ON BOY WONDER KYLE AND HIS DADDY! BONEHEADS! GET A PERSONALITY MIKEY AND QUIT TAKING YOURSELF SO SERIOUSLY. YOUR NOT THAT GOOD!

Posted by: dannyandvinnymustgo | October 31, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

If Shanahan thinks that Grossmann gives the Redskins the best chance to win a game I only want to ask: How'd that work out for you? What a joke! Grossmann has failed with every team he has played for since being drafted out of the U. I don't know how he has kept a job with his this long, it certainly isn't because of his performance. The Allen/Shanahan team is better than what we have experienced under Dan Snyder's ownership, but this decision makes absolutely no sense. I just hope he hasn't lost the team.

Posted by: BigR22 | October 31, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

So what if Skins franchise McNabb and the want to trade him for a 4th or 5th round pick. Is there any team that wants to pay him franchise money? How much would they have to pay him?

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 31, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we ever build a team like New England? They're leading the division and I heard today they have 2 no.1 picks, and 2 no.2 picks. WTF???????
Tell Snyder to throw 500 million at Belicheck and we'll build a dynasty!!!!

Posted by: Riggo2 | November 1, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm a diehard Redskins fan. No matter their record, I will always root for them. Yesterday's decision to pull McNabb and insert the gross Grossman has got to be one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen a Redskins coach make. Donovan has not been perfect (few QBs are) but I would still trust him with a 2-minute drill before I would Grossman. Do the Shannys not realize that our O-line is the biggest problem. Was it 2 or 3 times that Rabach stepped on DM's foot and caused him to fall? THAT should never happen. But, put all the blame on Donovan. He should be able to keep his balance when the center has his foot pinned to the ground. Right? I don't think I've ever been as angry at a coach's move as I was and still am at pulling Donovan and inserting Gross.

Posted by: juliagraffam | November 1, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse