Kelly a Likely Inactive Again

Dan Steinberg reports:

Continuing his week-long insistence that the Redskins will not use Sunday's game as a Petri dish for young players, Jim Zorn said Thursday that rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly will almost certainly be inactive against the 49ers. All 53 of Zorn's players practiced in some capacity on Christmas Day, and with spots on the active roster at a premium, there doesn't figure to be room for Kelly.

"I'm not gonna put him up, unless there's a real spot for him," Zorn said. "I'm gonna have enough trouble with the guys that are ready to do battle, trying to get the mix right."

That would mean that Kelly will finish the season having played in five games, with three catches for 18 yards. After missing much of the season with injury problems, Kelly was active in recent games against the Seahawks, Giants and Ravens, but will apparently be inactive for the final three games of the season.

Zorn said there are no longer injury concerns with the rookie, and that the issue remains getting Kelly "up to speed." The team had considered putting him on injured reserve several times, and Zorn was asked today whether, in retrospect, that would have been wiser.

"Those are risks that we took," he said. "It's a good thought, but that always was gonna be the conversation at the end of the season, should we have done that. We would have gotten more out of another guy that could have potentially been active, but I think it was worth the risk, hoping that he would get better. Because he really is [talented], he's got a great presence on the field. Just couldn't get him there, really couldn't get him there."

Kelly said his health is fine, although he said he has occasionally been "reaching" with his leg when he comes out of a cut instead of stopping precisely. He said he wasn't surprised by his recent string of inactives.

"I just think I missed too much time, really," he said. "When I came in, especially for a first-year man, you really can't miss any time, or not as much time as I did."

"I just want to come up here every day," he said, "from the JUGS machine to working on the small stuff. I've got high expectations coming into next year."

By Cindy Boren  |  December 26, 2008; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Davis Looking to Be 'in the Mix'
Next: Perfect Attendance

Comments

I like Zorn, but some of the decisions he makes really baffle me.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

LMG, I'm not really feeling any of the DE's that are first round talents. The three or four I've seen look to be in the mold of Jason Taylor, and that just ain't gonna cut it in the big boy division we're in.

OT has about 6 or 7 legit first round talents, and guard has a couple.

OLB has Aaron Curry and if he falls, I think you might have to make that pick, but I doubt he falls to us.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I tend to agree, I'd probably target an OT in the first round, assuming we don't trade down. Any idea what Phillip Daniels' contract status is? I know he's older than dirt but he could provide some depth if not step back in as a starter...either way at 35 he's clearly not the long term answer. Alex Buzbee anyone?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 26, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

With this post, we've seen all three of our second-round picks give their offseason plans.

"[Fred] Davis plans to commute between California and D.C. this offseason, so he can "show my face around [Redskins Park] a lot," while the third second-rounder, Devin Thomas, said he needs some time away but will "be around here when I need to be.""

Mr. Kelly, meanwhile, expects to remain here full-time, spending lots of quality time working on his skills. Sounds like he has the right idea.

Posted by: MJPinDC | December 26, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

James Thrash, meanwhile, will spend time in Fort Lincoln Senior Center in Landover, Maryland rehabbing his hip.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

______

Insert clever response...

JUGS machine??? He gets paid to work with that?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 26, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

hey as least he's stayin local...also allows him to lobby Capitol Hill on Social Security

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 26, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wasted pick...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 26, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Wasted pick...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 26, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

wasted post

Posted by: CBT2 | December 26, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is an idiot. Let the kid play, it's a useless game. I don't believe he's not ready either. He has to know that offense better than the rest of the team did at the beginning of the year.

At any rate based on offensive output it seems the more you know about the offense the less points it puts on the board. Seems to me not knowing the offense as the entire team did at the beginning of the year is a bonus.

IT IS YOUR JOB TO GET THE ROOKIES READY!!! Put the kid in.

Posted by: Gweez | December 26, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Kelly's gonna position himself to be a real contributor next year.

Davis and Thomas just don't get it...

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

seriously our offense struggles to score TEN FREAKING POINTS and we're worried about putting him in because he might not know it "as well" as the starters? It honestly cannot get any worse than what we see each week!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Davis and Thomas just don't get it...

Posted by: p1funk"

Fred Davis just learned how to work his alarm okay? Cut 'em some slack, he's tired.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Everybody has a different little situation that they're in, you know?" Thomas said. "Mine is totally different from theirs. We've all had ups and downs in our seasons, and with the NFL it's week to week. They'll love you one week and hate you the next week. Everybody's in a different boat, so you can't compare guys with each other."

++++++++++++++

He's right about one thing. Everybody is in a different boat. Thomas is in the short boat marked "For Morons"...

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Davis and Thomas just don't get it...

Posted by: p1funk"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 26, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Davis can't even get up on time to "commute" locally. I'll be interested to see how that "commute" from Cali works out for him...

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MJPinDC | December 26, 2008 10:24 AM

And this is why Malcom Kelly will be the best out of all 3 of our 2nd rounders......

Davis is going to be on the feild alot next year as well.....

Thomas is a long term project. Let's just hope he maintains his trade value.......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 26, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Love to hear that our bust of our overall top pick doesn't care that other people picked after him have dramatically outperformed him and that it is more important for him to "get away"......well, since he's been pretty much missing the whole year anyway don't see how this will change anything much......great pick Vinny.

At least Kelly seems like he wants to improve. I guess Thomas is satisfied with his big season.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 26, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Note the stark difference between Thomas and Kelly. Thomas wants to "get away" and come back next season out of shape again. C-U-T.

"Kelly recently bought a house in the area, and said he plans remain here during the offseason, joking that he doesn't want to be paying a mortgage for an empty house. But he also said he plans on being a constant presence at Redskins Park.

'I just want to come up here every day,'he said, 'from the JUGS machine to working on the small stuff. I've got high expectations coming into next year.'"

Posted by: periculum | December 26, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

We've already proven we can lose to the Bungles with the present crew of 53. Time to give Kelly, Thomas, Davis, et all, their chance. We need some new life in this team.

Posted by: bones21 | December 26, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I can understand not wanting to play someone who is not "up to speed" because it will hurt the team.

The Redskins and Kelly can give all of the excuses they want (injuries, etc.), but I personally find the explanation of a player not being familiar enough with the playbook or the gameplan at the end of the season to be COMPLETELY unnacceptable.

Either the coaches, Kelly, or some combination have to take some blame for that. If they don't then the basic message is that it is acceptable to be around an NFL team for an entire season and still not be "up to speed" enough for a game. Unbelievable to me.

Posted by: snoopylad | December 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I could not be happier that Kelly is sticking around. Thomas and Davis just don't get it. They all have a golden opportunity to get better and work with JC and they want to piss it away.
If either Thomas of Kelly worked hard and learned the offense in the off-season, they would have a good chance of beating out ARE for the #2 receiver spot. But, it looks like only one of the two are interested in doing more than robbing the Redskins of another year's salary!

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snoopylad

I completely agree. Kelly, Davis and Thomas have to, at least, know the majority of the offense. Or, even better yet, how about we simplify the playbook this week and get back to the basics that were being taught in camp. Limit the palys called to a few and just run them out of a bunch of different formations. Then, you can have your athletes play, instead of think. You will be able to do judge what we really got in this years draft. Am I the only one who sees this as a simple solution for this week?

Posted by: NCMatt1 | December 26, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody's in a different boat, so you can't compare guys with each other."

++++++++++++++

I think I need to disagree. Kelly, Thomas and Davis had VERY comparable seasons. On a team that was desperate for a target downfield, not one of these 2nd round picks provided it.

Our 3rd pick Rinehart (did he ever step on the field?) and 4th rounder Tryon were even worse.

At this point, I'd trow them all into the season's last game. Why not?

Posted by: guruvinny | December 26, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Davis and Thomas will be here part time
THat's why they are at best part time players. Two wasted draft picks.
How can players at this late in the season not know plays.

Posted by: jmy999 | December 26, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is getting a pass on what must be considered poor coaching. IT'S WEEK 16 AND THESE GUYS DONT KNOW THE PLAYS??

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

It's critical that we play the veterans who won't be around next year- critical that we win this game, like we did against Philly, so we get a worse draft pick next year and a tougher schedule, critical that we don't give these rookies more playing time to see what they can do and to give them more snaps.......

Zorn is a genius!