Kelly Hopes for More This Week

Rookie Malcolm Kelly says he was about 85 percent for Sunday's game and hopes to be back to his peak form this week after battling a knee injury.

Kelly practiced fully last week for the first time in weeks, and thought he might be active. Instead, with the Redskins short of defensive backs, he sat it out.

"I thought I would be up, but it was my first week back," Kelly said. " I did well in practice Wednesday and Thursday, but still I didn't feel like I was myself.

"I was 85-90 percent and that's okay, but if you put a product out there you want it to be your best and I"ll push myself this week in practgice and hopefully he [Jim Zorn] will make a decision to put me in."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 20, 2008; 11:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unrestricted Talk...and Chats
Next: No Sign of Jason Campbell Yet

Comments

Maybe that will be his sweet sixteen present. Hope your training bra fits.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 20, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Prediction: We won't lose to a QB named "Orlovsky."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 20, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Every week starts with the same thing:

Kelly hoped to play last week, but *insert injury note here*. However, he hopes to play this week, after 7 weeks *and counting* of warming up the pine for the rest of the players.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 20, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Good news, I hope he has a good week of practice....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

More like he has an 85-90 percent chance of having another setback this week...

Posted by: executivesource | October 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

awful slow on here today for the day after a win

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 20, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

At this point if he's practicing I don't think you can hate. Maybe he's not healthy enough or maybe he's not studying enough who knows. But being inactive last week wasn't his fault per se. He was at the very least going through the motions.

From last thread. The two times the dudes hands got in the way was strange as well as alot of picking up individual fans on the mics.

Posted by: Gweez | October 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I would just keep Kelly inactive until after the bye week. Give him a chance to REALLY get healthy. Besides, the team likely needs more DBs active with Springs in and out of the lineup.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Brown, might be a good idea....2 more weeks, might be just what he needs...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 20, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Prediction: We won't lose to a QB named "Orlovsky."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 20, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Careful. He's probably learned you cant run out of the back of the endzone by now...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 20, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Haven't we seen this same exact post the last three Mondays?

Posted by: SantanaClaus89 | October 20, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Matt,
True a qb's career is over if he does that 2x

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I dont know think Orlovsky is still a little fuzzy on what exactly happened, he was still looking downfield while he was walking back to the sidelines. Think we can break outta the sack funk this weekend.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 20, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

CBS has 1 good thing going for it and that is JB in the pregame

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This sounds like the most positive news since training camp for Malcolm Kelly. This could be just what the skins need, a big WR to step up and play opposite Santana drawing a little attention, because right now its pretty obvious that isn't going to be Thrash or Thomas.

Posted by: hender_22 | October 20, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Stu,

We just need to have someone tell Orlovsky that he can get 1 point per Sack and 3 for an Int. He will buy it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

The best part of Sunday...

I was watching the Dallas-Rams game and they cut away from it to go to the Gints-49ers game with the comment "This is what we call in television a non-competitive game".

Posted by: torqued21 | October 20, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Joke on Orlovsky if you want, dude had a 96 yard rainbow to Calvin Johnson yesterday. Let's hope the Skins don't take the Lions lightly; there's no reason why this team can't shut them out if they take them seriously.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

++++don't want to be Debby Downer here and I'm happy for the win, but there is definitely concern that the 4 man pass rush (even some blitz packages) are ineffective.

Posted by: Moose33 | October 20, 2008 9:08 AM

We have already played 4 of the best passing teams in the NFL and it did not hurt us, they get good pressure sacks are overated.

Posted by: Flounder21++++

Much as I hate to agree with flounder, I do here. Opponent QB’s aren’t getting sacked, but they don’t have time to find open receivers. The clock is ticking. Foru rushing means seven defenders, and by and large, the skins have pretty much shut down some VERY good ones with that defense. DeSean Jackson, TO, Edwards, Holt.

Posted by: TheCork | October 20, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

+++Can we nickname our run game The Big Red Line or something? The Dirt bags just does not sound sexy

Posted by: alex35332++++

If you look sexy while run blocking, you’re doing it wrong

Posted by: TheCork | October 20, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

This 'Vinny Cerato Show' is almost unlistenable. I'm glad we get the insight like....

" Well, we are gonna try to get better each week."

" If Clinton doesn't fumble at the end, the game might be over"

" Right now, we have it going and the players are playing well"

Now THAT Is insight !!!

Posted by: cej75024 | October 20, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh , by the way...he says that Leigh Torrence is playing well.

Re:Jason Campbell almost throwing the first INT.

"The wind took the ball"

Posted by: cej75024 | October 20, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Vinny gives about as much info as Saint Joe did.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

more Vinny....

" Now we go on the road, and when yo go on the road, you have to pack your defense and special teams "

So there you go...Jason, Clinton, CP...take the week off

Posted by: cej75024 | October 20, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Malcolm Kelly,

"Sit your @ss down on the bench and don't even think about playing!"

From Coach J-Zee

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 20, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

+++

Posted by: Stu27 | October 20, 2008 11:47 AM+++

totally agree....I can't stand their coverage, I was also curious why they were carrying the game when it's a home game for us? Usually Fox would get the broadcast...

Posted by: bms46and2 | October 20, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: torqued21 | October 20, 2008 11:58 AM

Funny you should say that: Orlovsky's so dumb he logged in to RI so he could report the abuse in St. Louis but nobody came to help the Cowpies!

"This is what you call in blogging two jokes in one!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying he needs to read the playbook and post it on his blog ...oooops...that's been done...however, don't prop this show up like it will give us INSIGHT.

It doesn't.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 20, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bms46and2 | October 20, 2008 12:03 PM

Actually, when the NFC team is at home it's on CBS. When the AFC team is at home it's on FOX. It's a quirky thing and I don't know the reason behind it but that's how it's always been (at least since the 2002 restructuring of the divisions).

But I agree with the assertion that CBS sucks. JB is the ONLY reason their pregame show is even remotely watchable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 20, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

cej, STOP LISTENING....ever think of that one???

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

In the strange rules of NFL broadcasting, on Sunday day time games, an inter conference game is always broadcast by the visiting teams network, hence, therefore, ergo, instead of watching the Skins yesterday at 4:15, I STILL had to put up with the Texans, who were playing AT Detroit. And if anyone can tell me WHY for all that is holy that the Texans and the Lions were scheduled to play at 4:15, I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 20, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

John, be thankful.

The games in the Boston Market were the Raiders/Jets at 4, on and an episode of Cops on the Local Fox channel that normally carries the 4 pm games.....I went with listening to it on radio...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I sure as hell hope Malcolm Kelly plays this week and does something I am not counting on that though. (He looks like a second coming of Taylor Jacobs) We need production from WR's other then Moss Randle and our Te Cooley. Devin Thomas and James Thrash have produced next to nothing. One of those guys, if not both needs to step up. If that happens with how well we are running the football we will score more points on offense.

Our defense is flat out filthy!!! We have had a championship caliber defense since 2004! HAIL!!!

Posted by: Skins28 | October 20, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Television coverage is based on conference. When we play AFC teams, chances are the game will be on CBS if it is not a primetime game.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 20, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"CBS is terrible coverage, always deiplleassed when i see where on there network. im glad they have the AFC and SEC games so im not missing exciting football.

Posted by: Stu27"

yeah the last two national champions came from the SEC, what a boring conference!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 20, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Dear Malcolm Kelly,

"Sit your @ss down on the bench and don't even think about playing!"

From Coach J-Zee

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 20, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If we don't get more production from our receivers we aren't going to win many more games. The Skins are lucky Derek Anderson played that poorly because Big Ben, Romo (when healthy), and Eli aren't going to have a 14 for 37 game, you can count on that. As good as Portis was on Sunday, the offense only scored 14 points. We all better hope Malcolm comes back healthy and can produce a little...

Posted by: hender_22 | October 20, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

beeps and stuff...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't.

Posted by: cej75024 | October 20, 2008 12:04 PM

Like the WaPo or RI give us any insight? Please. This place is good because of the comments that follow the thread, not for insights.

Posted by: Skins930 | October 20, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Beantown - philly had the same lineup as you except in lieu of Cops there was bullriding. who in the hell watches that on a sunday afternoon in the fall?

Braylon Edwards admitted they underestimated the Skins. Love dudes who run their mouth off and then come up small dropping passes.

Posted by: F_Registration | October 20, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Beeeeeeep

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

F-reg, thats pretty funny. Lets see, Cops, or Bullriding....Bullriding, or Cops....hmmmm...which direction to go...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 20, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean the pass to cooley that ended up going to his outside?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

hender_22,

Here is why I would tell Malcolm Kelly to sit down and stay down. This idiot has not been able to keep himself healthy this whole season. Who do blame this on? I say on Kelly. Why? It's my opinion that he just didn't keep himself in shape and thus the injuries. If I were Coach JZ I'd be furious. Of course I want Kelly to produce like DeSean Jackson. But I am just mad that he was a second round draft pick.

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | October 20, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I liken Malcolm Kelly – and to a somewhat lesser extent, Devin Thomas – to using a dial-up Internet connection to get some information, pay a bill or send an important email. It is slow, frustrating, maybe even painful and it’ll no doubt take longer than you want to wait for results. But if you can have the patience to let the page download instead of checking your laptop out the window or at the guy in the next cubicle over, odds are you’ll get what you need.

Janet Livermore: “Cliff, what are you talking about?”
Cliff Ponsier: “I don’t know”

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 20, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Notorious comment about Kelly and Thomas. I also think fans need to stop riding Kelly's back when he had his knee scoped during training camp and then had it drained twice two weeks ago. Having my knee scoped, I can tell you that when your knee is drained, it means that it hasn't healed and this is nature's way of telling you. He's worked hard to get back on the field and is practicing.

If he isn't able to play this week against Detroit, the Skins would be smart to put him on IR and open up a roster spot for another receiver or DB (as we're down a CB with Springs not due back until we play Dallas.) At least Thomas made a nice tackle on special teams and Davis was open on that long pass where Campbell overthrew him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 20, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Helzyea,

I guess we just have a difference of opinion regarding his injuries. I think his conditioning played a role in them to an extent, but some of it has got to be just plain bad luck. And yes he is a second round pick but I think everyone needs to lower the expectations a little. It'd be one thing to rag on these guys if Moss or ARE went down and they were forced into a starting role. Good thing for the Redskins is, they can kind of afford these rookie shenanigans for now -- I just hope Kelly and Thomas come around sooner rather than later. If we Kelly down for good this year we may never see his full potential, or at least not in a Skins uniform...

Posted by: hender_22 | October 20, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse