Kelly Is Back on the Field

After sitting out the preseason because of hamstring and knee problems, rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly returned to practice yesterday, even though he spent most of it on the sideline observing and getting tips from wide receivers coach Stan Hixon. If all goes well the rest of the week, Kelly could make his pro debut Sunday in the home opener against the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field.

"I was really just tired of sitting around," Kelly said. "I know what I still have to do. I still have to refresh with the plays and make sure I go out there and get the small things right."

Drafted from Oklahoma, Kelly was among the Redskins' most impressive rookies early in camp, coaches and players said, having made a good impression with his receiving and blocking skills while playing the X receiver, or split end position. He appeared to be far ahead of wide receiver Devin Thomas, the team's top pick, who started out at the Z receiver, or flanker.

Kelly, initially slowed in camp because of a hamstring injury, underwent arthroscopic surgery Aug. 4 on his left knee. Kelly was supposed to make his pro debut Aug. 28 in Washington's final preseason game, but his knee swelled in pregame warmups. "That was a big disappointment," Kelly said. "You want to be out there, you want to show what you can do, but the knee ... it just wasn't there."

Because of Kelly's situation, the Redskins strongly considered carrying six wide receivers on the 53-man roster. Having Kelly on the field against New Orleans "would be great for our receivers, great for our whole team, because of what he brings to the table," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "We know Malcolm is a guy who can make plays. You always want to have as many guys as you can like that out there."
Kelly wants to make a strong impression against the Saints but "you've got to be smart about it," he said. "I think I came back too soon before because I was tired of just watching everything. They gave me some time to rest, some time to get it right, so I just want to go now."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 8, 2008; 1:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smoot, Kelly Say They'll Practice (Updated)
Next: Buzbee's Long Road Back

Comments

This is what I come here for, the never-ending optimism and excuse making for this front-office, coaches, team, and QB. Its always something that isn't somebody's fault that caused us to lose.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM

Well, I guess you missed me being extremely critical of the offensive line, the WRs, Jim Zorn, and the Front Office for the last few weeks.

I wasn't as critical of JC because I thought he played decent, considering what was going on around him. Was JC perfect? Of course not. But I can assure you that replacing JC with Todd Collins would NOT have produced a potent offense last week. The routes were awful, the playcalling was awful, the clock management was awful (and Zorn took responsibility for it), passes were dropped, our linemen were beaten, our personnel was depleted, our offense was out of sync, yet some of you want to put all that blame on JC and suggest that it could be fixed by inserting Todd Collins. Insane.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:27 PM

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I have high hopes for kelly and hope he actually sees the field on sunday.

Posted by: WrongDog | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM

And we played against a defense that has never been great against the pass and lost half of its sack totals from a year ago and replaced it with Justin Tuck and Kiwanuka....good players sure but not Strahan and Osi.....we should have been better.....or are we just saying now that if the other team is an above average team its ok to not have a 1st freaking down for a quarter and a half until your punter gets roughed?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sween, it was complete, down by contact short of the first. He was tripped as the ball came to him, bounced off of him, he fell down with the ball rolling around, defender now gone, he makes the catch, gets up and then the refs blow the whistle... no one around him, he is gone to the house.

No possession until way after the trip/down by contact touch...

I hate that rule... all plays of down by contact or if it was a catch should wait til the play is truely over then review it to get it right.. that will be the next major rule change.

The impetus is on the refs to let that go then they make an 'official' review not charging any team.

those type of bang bang plays can decide a game and they should stop making it so subjective...

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:29 P

Posted by: Zebra | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

How did you guys post 200+ comments in 2 hours?

Wow...Just Wow....

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

what exactly do you mean more telling for game 2? If they lose, what then? If they win? That doesn't change the fact they are deficient in many areas, it may however, add another hue to the rose colored glasses of the "too loyal fan base for this mediocrity!'

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM

Week 1 is when Zorn got his first look at everything he has put in place ... and sees what works and what doesn't ... at real speed.

He should now have a much better understanding of this team and its issues. With 10 days to address them, week 2 should tell of us a lot more about where this team is headed than week 1.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Dan Orlovsky
A. McPherson
Derek Anderson
James Kilian
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Posted by: Alex35332 (way after the beep) | September 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

4th nice a$$ kicking in FF. Wish it wasn't mine ...
Michael Turner, who knew?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear about Kelly. I'm hoping for a good showing on Sunday from the Rooks....

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

no doubt Moss was off to the house on that play and the refs took it away. But also no doubt which team was the better team. The better team won.

We needed the bounces and breaks to compete (didn't think it would come to that, but it did). The missed INTs and that ref call were the types of things that could have allowed the Skins to win in a game they were badly outplayed.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Only one sween?

Beer.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 8, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM

I didn't say all that. I just said that the people you are using for examples to support your point played against bad teams. In other words, find a better way to support your opinion.
Personally, I don't think JC is where he needs to be but there is plenty of blame to go around. As a matter of fact, there are only 3 people on the team this past week that I would say played up to par.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Saints.. Did anyone else pay attention to Howe Long's commentary on the Saint's situation with the Hurricanes and he asked the question of how long the Saint's can stay in that city.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks we deserved to win against the Giants is crazzzy

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Michael Turner, who knew?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:35 PM

I did. MMMWAHAHAHAHA!!!

In other news I'm stacked up on RB's but need everything else.

Posted by: Skinz | September 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Michael Turner, who knew?"

Only everybody who was actually paying attention!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | September 8, 2008; 1:55 PM ET

Let's see. Is going past the first down marker on a third-down pass a "small thing" or a "big thing"?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh goodie! One of our ten draft picks (from that passing powerhouse Oklahoma no less) might sniff the field sunday. The season has been SAVED!

Posted by: Danny's boyz | September 8, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

There is no deserve only Win or no Win.

Posted by: Confusious say. | September 8, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

wtf. A little over a week ago Zorn was talking like Kelly was going on IR, and now he's practicing.

Posted by: wtf | September 8, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

+++Having Kelly on the field against New Orleans "would be great for our receivers, great for our whole team, because of what he brings to the table," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "We know Malcolm is a guy who can make plays. You always want to have as many guys as you can like that out there." +++

Too much Kool-Aid? Kelly hasn't played an NFL down, even in preseason.

The QB has got to be an optimist.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke

well put Zeke! Agreed.
I, like my friend above, Leevi, seem to be over hanging in there, yet another season, it's going to get better, one more player, etc...

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 2:42 PM

I would say, it's the only thing.

Posted by: Cindy | September 8, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

And both those rookie QB's played against bad teams.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:24 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:30 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:32 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 2:40 PM

I haven't used anybody as examples, that was Leevi. All I said was I don't think JC is legit and that if he doesn't improve and quickly I think Todd deserves a shot. If we say start 0 and 4 and look as good as we looked last week I want to see what Todd can do. This team is built for a playoff push this year, if we don't do that or even if we do, more than likely Kendall is gone, Jansen for sure, Thomas maybe, Griffen maybe, Marcus maybe, Springs probably, that's a lot of turnover, and next year that will be everybody's excuses, I don't want that to happen, I want to see us win and win this year, and I think JC is a mediocre QB and I've seen enough of him that if he continues to struggle lets see if somebody else is better. Right now, TC is 5-1 (including the Bears game he played most of) as the Redskins QB, and JC is well below .500

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Too much Kool-Aid? Kelly hasn't played an NFL down, even in preseason.

The QB has got to be an optimist.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc
------------
The QB has got to be able to deliver the ball to his receivers, most notably his veterans, before he can even think about chemistry with a rookie.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I knew Turner was a good player. But he's playing for the Falcons. 220 yards. Wish he'd held off til week 2. if he goes for 94 yards, I'm winning my FF game ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Michael Turner, who knew?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:35 PM

I did. That's why I drafted him!

I NEED A QB(since Brady went down). Help.

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, it was only close because Brady went down!

I would've scored almost 200 on you if that was the case. Not to mention I BENCHED Reggie Bush! That was my only F up........

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm your huckleberry...

Posted by: Vinny Testaverde... | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM

He completed 5 passes to Moss and 7 to ARE. That's on pace for 80 receptions to Moss and 112 receptions to ARE. I think he's fine with these guys. However, he needs more than 2 options out there.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game online (really bad way to watch), but it seemed like they were banking on some unexpected calls (like throwing short of the first down marker and trying to get the 1st after the catch).

This might work against some of the worst defenses in the NFL or some college teams, but it didn't against the Giants.

Posted by: stumped | September 8, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"This team is built for a playoff push this year"
Posted by: zjfr2 | September 8, 2008 2:52 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! This was 9-7 team in 2007 that kept most every player. Jason Taylor is the only guy who didn't start for us last year.

2008 is a year to improve on 2007. It just doesn't look like it from week 1.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I would say, it's the only thing.

Posted by: Cindy | September 8, 2008 2:50 PM

No, there's still the bit about holding onto the ball when it hits you in the hand. Optional for Rogers, but important in a WR.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 8, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, it was only close because Brady went down!

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM

You Da Man!!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

beep beep mo fo

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

4th, you had Gates and I had the Charger defense.

So Gates fumbles the ball and the Panthers return it for 6. Gates loses 2 FF points for the fumble. I lose 2 FF points because the Chargers OFFENSE gives up a score!!

Knew it wasn't my day!!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Bellicek presser now. It's official, Brady out for season.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks we deserved to win against the Giants is crazzzy

Posted by: trailblazer302 | September 8, 2008 2:41 PM

Deserves got nothin to do with it.

Posted by: William Muny | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll join the throngs that say Turner didn't drop out of the sky yesterday. Most ranking systems had him in the top 8 RBs overall.

However...this was the first (and last) season I ever reach for a QB. I should have known better.

Posted by: Jenna | September 8, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Kelly will provide us with size and be able to make a play to convert on a couple 3rd downs!!! He will be a great addition in the redzone as well!!!

Posted by: BDiggz05 | September 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What does "beep beep" mean? Yes, I'm completely out of the loop.

Posted by: Don't know | September 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I didn't expect much from Campbell so i wasn't disapointed in his play which was slow and bad. I do expect CB's to catch the ball when they jump plays and put both hands on the ball......except Carlos. We need to all just accept him for what he is, an average cover corner, with verage speed, good insticts, but stone hands. I did expect more from the running game since the offensive line was healthy for probably the only time it will be all season. And i did expect a first down in each quarter... disapointed again. Overall the game was almost unwatchable.

Posted by: Shocker | September 8, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I do expect receivers to run 6 yards when we need 5, 5 yards when we need 4, and 2 yards when we need 1 1/2. And I expect the QB not to keep throwing to those guys when they don't do it over and over and over again. I would rather see an incomplete pass past the down marker than a complete one two yards short. What differnce is 5 extra yards on the punt? Disapointed again.

Posted by: Shocker | September 8, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

They say you are never as good as they say you are when you win, and not as bad as they say you are when you lose. Lets hope it's true because we looked bad bad bad, and the sorry a$$ Ravens won.

Posted by: Shocker | September 8, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

OK, so the refs screwed up the Moss potential TD, but did you watch the game? The better team won that day....

Posted by: pmarr | September 8, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

What I don't get is that giants fans are complaining about intentional cheap shot and portis cheap chip shot. Samuels was not intentionally trying to roll up on the back of his ankle, he was trying to hold him to atleast protect his qb. Then portis had a very clean chip block on kiwi. Which was a nice hit by the way.

Posted by: Ben | September 9, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shocker | September 8, 2008 5:12 PM

yes or Jc could have forced one up the field into coverage....Its not JCs fault I would rather come up short and punt then throw a pick. And its alot more then five yard difference!!!

Posted by: Ottie | September 9, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse