Kelly Ready for Turn in Spotlight

Jason Reid reports:

Redskins rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who hopes to make his pro debut this week against New Orleans, has monitored the progress of some of the other wideouts in his draft class.

Kelly said he left a congratulatory message on the cell phone of Philadelphia receiver DeSean Jackson, who had six receptions for 106 yards and averaged 12.1 yards on eight punt returns (he returned one punt for 60 yards) in Philadelphia's 38-3 rout of St. Louis. "That's my boy," Kelly said of Jackson. "I told him he had a good game, things like that."

Eddie Royal, a former Virginia Tech standout, had team-highs with nine receptions for 146 yards and a touchdown in Denver's 41-14 victory over Oakland. "I'm real close to him [Jackson]," Kelly said, "and Eddie Royal had a real nice game Monday night" too.

After having arthroscopic surgery Aug. 4 on his left knee, Kelly sat out the preseason and missed last week's season-opening loss to the Giants. He returned to practice Monday and said he is determined to play against the Saints.

"It's time," Kelly said. "To see the guys you came out with, you see them doing good ... I'm tired of waiting."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 10, 2008; 1:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Still Isn't Near 100 Percent
Next: Cooley Not Practicing; Defense Braces for Run (Update 2)

Comments

birst

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

not first

Posted by: umteenth | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

da Truef, thanks for apology...but not needed...come strong, come correct...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 10, 2008 1:10 PM

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully he comes out this weekend with a 100 yard game of his own.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

With Golston out, it makes the line more vulnerable and less deep.

Who said Golston was out Al?? I know his knee is banged up, but I'm pretty certain he's still playing?

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 1:05 PM

I thought I read this recently ... will double check

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Marques Colston is out....

Posted by: Cindy | September 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Kelly isn't ready for anything. he's never played a down in preseason or regular season and he's probably not 100%. What should we expect from him? Nothing.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor sounds like a dancing pansy.

Posted by: The Tuna | September 10, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Reggie Bush, is he still bangin' Kim Kardashian?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2008 12:44 PM

Yep. She was showed in a skybox cheering after RB scored (a touchdown, I mean).

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Al,

Don't sweat my technique youngin. Just chill and enjoy the show.

Posted by: Malcolm Kelly | September 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm bringing sexy back.

Posted by: JT | September 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't find anything that said Golston being out. My bad.

Still worried about the interior of the d-line, though. didn't look good vs NYG. We have a game changing player in Griffin. If he is the guy he once was. Didn't see that guy on Thursday

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will catch 3 balls for 2 TDs. One will be a bomb similar to the one dropped by Thrash at the end of last game (Kelly will bring that in), the other will be in the red zone, with Kelly doing a crossing route in the back of the endzone. Other than that, he won't even be targeted.

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

PSP,

If he catches two TD's I do not care if he catches anything else, I would'nt care if he went to the sidelines and sat the rest of the game.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm the tool of all tools.

Posted by: L. Michael | September 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly is our savior.

175 yard recieving by him
400 yards of total offense by the team!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I expect (hope) that the Skins will look like professional football team playing an important game. Hate to say it, but that would be a big step. 10 days to correct issues and prepare for game 2 is a very good thing for this team.

On Thursday, they looked like a bunch of overmatched guys at a scrimmage.

Of course, I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I need to learn that talk doesn't get me anywhere in the NFL, I just need to learn to shut up and do something before I open up my trap, especially since I don't even have a preseason reception to my name.

Posted by: Malcolm K | September 10, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

As bad as things are for Campbell right now, at least he hasn't rolled up like an armadillo (V Young) everytime he faces a little bit of adversity. I think he'll be just fine, but will certainly face some significant growing pains.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest, this is what you were remembering (it was in a jinx thread about Fletcher by Barry Svrulga):

"Defensive tackle Kedric Golston bruised his knee in the loss to the Giants, which Jim Zorn mentioned last week. Today, he said Golston also "banged up" his right elbow. "I'll be all right," Golston said, and he practiced without limitations."

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm the tool of all tools.

Posted by: L. Michael | September 10, 2008 1:28 PM

My wife diagrees. She says that I have the tool of all tools.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

... at least he hasn't rolled up like an armadillo (V Young) ...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:30 PM

Please, a little respect for the infirm ... hedgehog, not armadillo.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I believe the proper term is called "turtling"...when describing what VY did...

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc6wvNCz5I

Here's the armadillo man. Might as well be Vince in that commercial.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Given the way some of the rookie WRs took flight in week 1, there is more optimism about our guys than probably is merited. I do like Kelly's size and others have said he has terrific hands. I like the big target guys, so I'm hoping for the best.

I think Campbell will like having Cooley and Kelly on the field at the same time.

Not optimistic about Kelly vs the aints. But if Kelly does go for 175 on Sunday, I'm totally on board.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd trade JC for VY, what a blockbuster move that would be.

Posted by: D. Snyder | September 10, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2008 1:30 PM

or not remembering

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hammerhan is on DOC's show saying the players are being Snippy with the media huryying up interviews and generally thinking people have written them off.

Seems like the players listen and read alot.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

How far into the season can teams make trades?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

How far into the season can teams make trades?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:38 PM

Not sure but I do not think there is a cutoff.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If I remember from the one movie with Sinbad, Scott Bakula, and Rob Schneider, wasn't there team the Texas State Armadillos? I think it would be fitting for Mr. Young.

Posted by: straub21 | September 10, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

trade deadline is generally week 5 or 6

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Mid October, I believe is around the trading deadline.

Vinny, Nemo Broughton for J. Peppers....make it happen..

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

How far into the season can teams make trades?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:38 PM

Not sure but I do not think there is a cutoff.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 1:39 PM

I'm pretty sure there is some cut-off, otherwise we'd see the moves like they make in baseball ... a team out of contention trading a highly paid stud to a contender. Don't see that happening in football

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

can't trade after week 6

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

thanks

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 10, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The National Football League's deadline is the Tuesday following the sixth week of the regular season, which typically falls in mid-October.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Seems like the players listen and read alot.

Posted by: Flounder | September 10, 2008 1:37 PM

-----

Sounds like the players are super sensitive. P.S., it's "Hanrahan"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: straub21 | September 10, 2008 1:39 PM

FUMBLEAYA!!!

Posted by: dlhaze | September 10, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

LiL off topic but..

Has anyone else paid any attention to the Ravens new head coach. He looks and sounds more commanding than Zorn. I have a feeling he's going to be a really good coach. Reminds me of a young Bill Cowher.

I just feel like our QB and Head Coach have the command presence of a lietentant, rather than a General. I'm worried the rest of this team feels the same way.

That spells mutiny and complete anarchy.

God Save the Queen...

Posted by: Devo | September 10, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I would also trade JC for VY...in a country minute...provided VY still wants to lace up the boots.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember back in the 80's the Redskins traded for Calvin Muhammed at the trading deadline.

Theismann hit him for an 80 yard TD versus the boys one game.

Posted by: Greg | September 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully he comes out this weekend with a 100 yard game of his own.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:13 PM

Hell, I'll take half that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

beep beep [with potential uh-oh]

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Rocky will make Kim Kardashian cry on Sunday. Let's hope FOX gives us a good shot of that.

Devo,

I appreciate what you mean, but one game is simply too early to judge. The Ravens were still not able to move the ball on Sunday and we've seen no signs that Joe Flacco is actually any good.

I also think it's too early to make comparisons to Bill Cowher.

We'll have to wait and see though, and I certainly hope it turns out your wrong or it could be a long couple of seasons here!

Posted by: Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) | September 10, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I say SIT Malcom Kelly out one more game

A. You can never be to sure with those knees that have alledgedly been termed "chronic knee problems" throughout.

B. Make him really want it, let him understand that it's an honor to play in the NFL (that's word to showing up out of shape for camp) , keeping him anxious on the sideline this Sunday and through out next week will really make him want it more come week 3 and most likely this will translate to him hitting the ground running.

C. A golden opportunity for that other rookie WR (what's his name Devin Harris ?) to get some uninterrupted playing time to cut his teeth on before M. Kelly comes in next week and eats it all up.

D. What a perfect team to break yourself in on than the Cardinals !!!

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 10, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

uuuuuhhhhhhhh..........we're tired of waiting too. Didn't we pass up on Jackson in the draft?

Posted by: virtueandvice | September 10, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

they need to stop playing around and go get Dre Moore off tampa's practice sqaud. he had 10.5 sack's for maryland. he can bring pressure up the middle of our d.line.

Posted by: D.C. | September 10, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: D.C. | September 10, 2008 5:59 PM

Good post D.C. But that raises a pet peeve of mine: why is it that the Skins never sign a UVA player? Has anyone noticed this? There are 40 players from UVA in the league these days. And how many from UMD? Is it because Dan Snyder went to Maryland? It seems to me the team has let a lot of good homegrown talent get away for well over a decade.

Posted by: just a thought | September 10, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope Marcus Washington doesn't play this week. All he does is celebrate even when the team is getting their asses kicked. I cant wait till they trade that guy. HE'S OVERRATED. I wanna see more of Chris Wilson in the game. Thats a guy who's hungry.

Posted by: Pylon | September 10, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Mr Kelly,

Sorry us Deadskins fans dont expect much from a little boy who cant even show up in shape for camp! And our expectations are very low for a rookie receiver who ahs never won at pocket pool. We figure your pull a hammy on your first play in!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse