Kendall, Evans Hope to Return

Jason La Canfora reports:

Two of the Redskins' starters will be eligible for unrestricted free agency in March, with guard Pete Kendall and end Demetric Evans both saying they hope to be back with Washington after a season-ending 27-24 defeat to the San Francisco 49ers at Candlestick Park.

Evans, who moved ahead of former Pro Bowler Jason Taylor at left end and tied Taylor for second on the team with 36 1/2 sacks, said he is eager to re-sign. "I want to be back," Evans said. "I hope they want me back." Evans, 29, came to the Redskins as a free agent in 2004, as is very valuable and versatile, able to play every position along the line in a pinch.

Kendall, 35, made it through two seasons with the Redskins without missing a game after being acquired by the Jets, but knows his knees and age are an issue. Kendall is not ready to retire, he said, and the Redskins are his first choice of teams, but understands if they want to get younger.

"I know I'm not the greatest guard in the league," Kendall said, "but I think I'm more than serviceable, and we'll see if there's a market for that."

The Redskins' other potential unrestricted free agents are corner DeAngelo Hall, whom the team has already expressed an interest in signing to a long-term deal, and reserves Khary Campbell (linebacker), Alfred Fincher (linebacker), Jason Fabini (tackle), Mike Green (safety), Ryan Boschetti (defensive tackle), and long-snapper Ethan Albright.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 28, 2008; 9:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Lose, 27-24
Next: Kelly, McIntosh to Avoid the Knife

Comments

"second on the team with 36 1/2 sacks, "

wow!!!!!!! How did we go 8-8 with two dudes with 36 1/2 sacks?

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So I'd really be curious to see how much venom you would have for Zorn if he took this team to 10-6 and the playoffs in his FIRST YEAR ever as a HC at any level.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

That's the problem. This was a playoff team last year. So why would you bring in a guy and make him a HC when he's never been more than a QB coach. And it wasn't like Zorn was their choice all along. He was the scapegoat for the circus they ran in hiring a HC. So while its not totally Zorn's fault for the horrible offenive showings, the fact that he hasn't changed anything to remedy this is definitely his fault. What happened to getting some wildcat formations, flea-flickers, something! He's done none of that, he's still running some rudimentary offense that doesn't believe in going down the field.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 28, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

FO is F-Up ..isn't that clear by now !! Sell the team to the Rooney's or Mara's.....proven winners....the fans must speak

Posted by: dl51 | December 28, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

CHRIS LARRY,

YOU'RE A TARd!!!! That was funny though, and you just happened to beat me to the punch!!!!

C L E G G

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 28, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"CHRIS LARRY,

YOU'RE A TARd!"

OK...high praise from Clegg the Mayor of Tardville!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"What happened to getting some wildcat formations, flea-flickers, something!"

Yeah, with defenses keying in on Portis, I thought for sure we'd see at least one flea-flicker. We didn't. Not one all year. That's a pretty basic trick play for teams that are hell-bent on stopping the run.

Posted by: beemnseven | December 28, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I must have been a lot drunker than I thought during games. I missed a lot of sacks.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | December 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have so many needs. Kendall is a nice backup at the right price, but they must get better AND younger on the lines.

The draft and Free Agency (depending on their cap situation) needs to be strictly focused on the lines.

Haynesworth should be the big fish they try to reel in on the D-Line.

Also, after seeing the Raiders game today, the Skins should try and sign their punter Lechsher. Dude is a major upgrade at that position and he is a free agent.

Posted by: dglelite | December 28, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

ga8505, the consensus was that we would be lucky to win 8 games this year. Virtually every publication had us finishing no better than 3rd in the division. The over/under in most Vegas casinos on total wins was 7.5. I know we made the playoffs last year. It was an incredible, emotionally-fueled run to get us to 10-6. But it's really hard to compare given the tragic and extraordinary circumstances that led to that late season rally. Fact is Zorn came close to exceeding expectations this year. Next year if he doesn't give us 10 wins, then I will reassess my stance. But he should come back and I'm glad he will.

Any naysayers that want to place a wager on next yr's win total, I'm your huckleberry. We will win at least 10 games.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

jason la.... ofseason moves...new corne cuz smoot is garbage, draft O-LINE or D-LINE. pick up a new takle and new gaurd , need a pass rucher, new GM.. oh and by the way vinny phillip merling had 2 ints today.

Posted by: b_hubacher | December 28, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

From that list: The Skins should resign Pete Kendall (backup G), Demetric Evans (backup DE), Mike Green (backup safety), and long-snapper Ethan Albright.

They should also try to sign Hall as a starting CB.

Drop the rest...

..... ... .. .
Two DEs with 36 1/2 sacks each? Is that good? LOL

Posted by: siris | December 28, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

We don't need either of their services any longer.

Posted by: seeway | December 28, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Yes on Dmetric; maybe on Kendall (he's been reliable if not spectacular) if on the cheap.

YES on line-only draft, YES on Peppers, NO on Haynesworth. That would be my ballot if I had a vote.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Gregg Williams won't be returning to the Jags. If anything radical happens in the FO, might a return be welcome?

Posted by: gregskins | December 28, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

All I want for Christmas is some new plays on O to get me 24 ppg minimum, fierce O lineman, Haynesworth & Anquan Boldin

Posted by: gregskins | December 28, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I think two guys with 36 1/2 sacks is pretty good, considering they're only tied for second on the team. How many did the leader have? 50?

Posted by: PatM1 | December 28, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I attended the game today in SANFRAN in my Skins attire....little embarrassing at the end with the Skins rolling over and letting the Niners steal one.. Need to get better at the wideouts, and in the middle of the defense. Zorn goes 10-6 in 09, or he's gone!

dcdude4

Posted by: dcdude4 | December 29, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Evans, yes.
Kendall, no, unless it's at a greatly reduced salary. Good guy, good player, it's just time to move on.

Posted by: kone | December 29, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

No on Greg Williams! Time to move on.

Time to blow this team up and start over! Man, how I would love to have Singletary here - he may be the next Cowher.

Posted by: kone | December 29, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Thankfully its time my favorite part of the Redskins year....the off season.
so now we can start thinking about the draft; where do we begin:
injury)

Tyson Jackson, LSU

Defensive Tackles
B.J. Raji, Boston College
Ziggy Hood, Missouri
Fili Moala, USC

Posted by: sspiper_bs | December 29, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

For all the "we're close to being a playoff team" people out there... Is backing into the playoffs at 9-7 every couple of years really what you want? If you do, you got it.

You can put sauerkraut or chili onto a hot dog to make it taste better but in the end...it's still a hot dog! Ya know?

Well, I'M TIRED OF HOT DOGS!!! I say we suck it up, eat boxed mac and cheese for a few years while we save and build things up. ONLY THEN will we feast on filet mignon and lobster!!!

Posted by: kone | December 29, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Tyson Jackson, LSU

Defensive Tackles
B.J. Raji, Boston College
Ziggy Hood, Missouri
Fili Moala, USC

=========================================
Can't we just trade Zorn and the whole gang to USC for Pete Carrol and his guys? We can thrown in Vinnie and a bag of balls to get it done.

Posted by: kone | December 29, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse