Kendall Scouts Giants' Line

Jason Reid writes:

The New York Giants' defensive line played a major role in the team's third Super Bowl title last season. But the unit will have a different look Thursday when the Redskins and Giants kick off the NFL's schedule at Giants Stadium.

In June, seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan retired. On Aug. 23, Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora suffered a season-ending knee injury in a preseason game against the New York Jets.

"But they're still, in my opinion, among the best pass-rushing teams in the league," left guard Pete Kendall said. "Michael had the career that he had, and Osi has been to the last several Pro Bowls, but they've still got a lot of talent there."

Defensive lineman Justin Tuck, who had 10 sacks last season, will take over for Strahan. After Umenyiora was injured, the Giants moved third-year linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end.

"Kiwanuka was a first-round pick as an end from B.C. [Boston College], and he had tremendous career at out alma mater, so I certainly have a high opinion of him as a player," Kendall said. "And, of course, Justin Tuck had a breakout year last year.

"He had 10 sacks plus the postseason he had. He was really a difference-maker, really a special player in the postseason, so we're expecting to see the same type of heat and pressure that they've generated against just about everyone they've played."
...
The Ravens have announced that they have indeed signed Marcus Mason.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 1, 2008; 2:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry Joined by Louisiana Family (Update 1)
Next: Blache Has Eye on Gustav; Injury, Defense Updates

Comments

CIndy,

Kinda busy for a labor day at the park & Post.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: time traveler | September 1, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Lier lier pants on fire.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the updates are coming fast and furious. I feel like Neo getting training in The Matrix--keep it cominog.

After reading the previous two posts, I would say that it's a bit concerning: Landry's distractions (dude, don't blast your family in public like that). Also, it seems like this years' players aren't getting the "we're all in this together" message. There've been more public frank comments than all of Gibby's years. B/w them and Zorn, it IS refreshing.

Posted by: What? Who? | September 1, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

F the Giants d-line. Their D-line is banged up, our o-line is banged up...let's get it on!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

so it's 2:12 and the update occured at 2:30, nice to see whats in our future....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I've managed to bend the space-time continuum.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 2:13 PM

Cindy's way ahead of her time. Always has been, always will be. She may even die ahead of schedule. That would be in 3014 instead of 3015.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I accidentally hit publish instead of schedule, hence the earlier typo in the hed. I'm on a conference call...multitasking and doing each task badly!

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I've managed to bend the space-time continuum.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:16 PM

Thats what she said

Posted by: Michael Scott | September 1, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell how worried we should be about these Ends?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 1, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"The Ravens have announced that they have indeed signed Marcus Mason."

Yet another reason the Ravens front office is better/smarter then the Redskins.

They should have made Portis play more, he's such a whimp.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 1, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to die?

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Giants also signed DE Jerome McDougle, the 15th overall selection in 2003. Philly had given up on him because of injuries, but he's not injured now and will be after us on Thursday night.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Ray, again I ask you - do you EVER say anything POSITIVE about ANYTHING????

And CP is not a wimp....he's one of the toughest dudes on the team.

Posted by: Lisa | September 1, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Marcus.

Bad luck to the Gints.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 1, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to die?

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:20 PM

I have one word for you: Insurance. Make someone else pay if you die.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

How much more trash than that can you get. Born in Idaho, pregnant 17 year old daughter, husband is a fisherman, member of the NRA and loves moose hunting and moose burgers... Yep, she should be the first woman president.... of Mississippi or Alabama or Louisiana maybe...

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!! | September 1, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:17 PM

Cindy, never ever admit a mistake. You will ruin our image of you. Just blame it on the loseable type.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 1, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

+++Who do you want back? Keenan McCardell? Reche Caldwell? Brandon Lloyd?
Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 1:37 PM

Oh, let's see... how about Billy McMullen?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | September 1, 2008 1:58 PM++

Er, DeSean Jackson? Limas Sweed?

Not so much "back" as "instead."

Maybe the 'skins would do better picking WRs if they scouted some team other than Auburn. The BEST two FA receievrs in all the land just happened to go to Auburn? Really?

And how's that working out, so far?

Posted by: Corkczar | September 1, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

How much more trash than that can you get? Born in Idaho, pregnant 17 year old daughter, husband is a fisherman, member of the NRA and loves moose hunting and moose burgers... Yep, she should be the first woman president.... of Mississippi or Alabama or Louisiana maybe...

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!! | September 1, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why some people are expecting greatness from Thomas and Kelly right away.

No one is talking about James Thrash. Now by no means am I saying this guys T-Ho or Randy Moss, but he can move the chains. I've been listening to football gurus talking about the WCO and how it is not a longball offense like NE. Philly has no one that scares me at the WR spot, but they move the chains with short passes.

Personally, I think our season hinges on the O-line...If Campbell has time, he will have a good season. He's got weapons (Cooley, Davis, Portis, Sellars, Moss). I can see quite a few 3 and outs at first though. I am more concerned about the youth in our secondary. With Landry being out so long, we could be exposed in the secondary.

As long as we've got London Fletcher in the middle, I think we can stop the run.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 1, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say, Loseable Type screwed up. Yeah, that's it. And insurance doesn't really help me, Talent, if I am like such as dead without maps.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | September 1, 2008 2:44 PM

Cork,

Kelly went to Oklahoma. Thomas to Michigan State. Auburn doesn't really enter here, does it?

Sweed? Have you read about his training camp? Nagging injuries? And in the last preseason game he was wide open and dropped the pass in the end zone.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 2:50 PM

No, but it would help me if you would name "talent evaluator" as the beneficiary.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Somehow I knew that's what you were thinking, Talent.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Other musings...

1) When healthy, I'd take Moss' speed over size any day. He can turn a WR screen into a TD.

2) If Thomas has one or two catches a game, I'd be statisfied.

3) People underestimate the Landry pick in the draft. There was only one ST, but he's cut from the same cloth. Landry will be feared, but I'm concerned about his youth with the other youngins back there.

4) Kudos to Zorn for making the tough call on Jansen vs. Heyer. These are some of the tough decisions that have to be made. The kid is 23 and has nowhere but up.

5) Andre Carter will have more sacks than Jason Taylor.

6) If JC can lead this team to victory in the Meadowlands, this team will rally behind him, and we won't hear about Colt Brennan until training camp.

7) Is Justin Tryon really better than Richardson? Uh...professor can you giv an explanation.

8) I actually agreed with one thing Steve Czaban said...as the season goes on we will see how much of a failure Gibbs 2.0 was.

9) Can anyone on RI post the players' ages on the active roster now and the ages of the players on the active roster 2 years ago?

10) Why has Dallas automatically been annointed as NFC East Champions?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 1, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

IMHO Until the rookie WRs can really contibute the only way the offense will be able to work will be for Cooly and Davis to have a great year. Dink and dunk all the way to the playoffs baby. I also hope it will not be too many more months before Vinny gets shown out the door.

Posted by: GLFLVER2 | September 1, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

BTW, thank you, Cindy, for implementing the "Update 1" etc., suggestion.

You are the best! You actually give us some consideration!

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Vinny will not be shown the door. Why should he if he had not been calling the shots.

You've gotta lay some of that on Gibbs, but many seem to think he's above criticism. I think Gibbs cancelled out many of the progressions that Vinny wanted to make, particularly at getting younger. Look how much younger (and yes inexperienced) this team has gotten in one year.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 1, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Glad to do it. Happy hamsters are btgo hamsters.

Posted by: Cindy | September 1, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

BOLD PREDICTIONS:

1) Jacksonville will have #1 defense this year.
2) After the season, Gregg Williams will be named new head coach of San Francisco.
3) After floundering for 3 years, Gregg Williams will be fired.
4) After winning the Super Bowl in 2012, Greg Blache retires as defensive coordinator for the Skins.
5) Gregg Williams returns as D-coordinator for the Skins in 2012.
6) Chase Williams a top linebacker in college announces he is going pro.
7) The Dallas Cowboys swoop in and draft him one spot ahead of the Redskins.

Posted by: RITCA | August 31, 2008

This got lost on the other thread. Any comments?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I bite Anonymous...

1)highly probable
2)perhaps or maybe Cincinnati
3)who knows
4)don't know
5)no way
6)?
7)?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 1, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The Denver Broncos are in the process of trading nickel cornerback Domonique Foxworth The cornerback was told by the team that he is close to being traded and to go home and wait to be traded. Foxworth said that he was told that there are several teams Denver is talking to and that he has no clue where he will play next week only that it won't be with the Broncos.

Foxworth said the Broncos are handling the situation with class.

"They didn't have to give me a warning," Foxworth said. "They are being classy about it. I'm not upset about it at all."

The Patriots, Redskins, Saints, Rams and Browns are among the teams wanting a cornerback.

Foxworth, entering his fourth NFL season, has been Denver's nickel cornerback. With him on his way out, Denver's backup cornerbacks behind Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly are Karl Paymah and rookie Jack Williams

Posted by: Anonymous | September 1, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Link to the above anon story......

Posted by: Da Kid 6945 | September 1, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason the Ravens front office is better/smarter then the Redskins.
They should have made Portis play more, he's such a whimp.
- Ray
Posted by: Ray | September 1, 2008 2:19 PM

Ray, I'm sure the Ravens would love to have you as a fan. And you wouldn't even have to move. Just head to Balmer for the games instead of Landover. See?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | September 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!!

Now, now. everyone listen. Why are y'all hating on the lil girl? Everyone fools around, I mean even me, er, eh. hmmm. I suppose we all need more VC arra's, Carra's, and btw, I shoulda been the first black president. I want to smash Obama's nuts!!!!

Posted by: Jesse Jackson

Posted by: jesse jackson | September 1, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!!

Posted by: Jesse Jackson

Posted by: jesse jackson | September 1, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Obama is Da Man!!!

He is the man that has Jesse and I perplexed. I mean, my man Jesse wants to go all nutcracker on his a**. I know he'll enlarge the welfare , er, I mean, our constituencies. He just seems so young. Go Black brotha!

Posted by: Rev. Al Sharpton | September 1, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse