James Activated; Huntley Released

Defensive end Erasmus James has passed his physical and will be activated from the physically unable to perform list.

That means someone had to go and that someone is Kevin Huntley, a veteran defensive end who had failed to move up the depth chart. He's a DC area guy who had spent some time with Atlanta, but after the Jason Taylor trade and with James getting healthy, Huntley was expendable.

Back at practice (players in shells and shorts) this morning are LaRon Landry, Rock Cartwright, James, Devin Thomas and Chris Horton. Vernon Fox is back after missing Saturday's game for personal reasons.

Not practicing are H.B. Blades, Shawn Springs, Malcolm Kelly, Stephon Heyer, and Anthony Mix.

Both Todd Yoder or Lorenzo Alexander have been excused from practice, for reasons to be determined.

BTW, send your questions to Jalaca, who'll be chatting at 11:45.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 11, 2008; 9:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mix Has Broken Rib
Next: Bugel Leaves to Join Daughter

Comments

Making room for Brandon Moore?

Posted by: Motivator | August 11, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hit refresh; I typeset that and then updated instantly. Erasmus James is no longer a PUP.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Would be cool if all these players started getting healthy right before the first game of the season.

Posted by: DTC | August 11, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Making room for Brandon Moore?

Posted by: Motivator | August 11, 2008 8:34 AM

Nope; not this time. Great to see Erasmus coming on! Could be Vinnie's greatest coup if it works. Erasmus James for a seventh. And if it doesn't -- or doesn't work soon, anyway, we keep the seventh.

Posted by: Motivator | August 11, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Typesetting? Up here?

You WashPost people just can't shake these old media habits, can you?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Actually, typesetting is what Loseable Type calls it ... and, btw, there's still no news in the little "Loseable Type News" window. Nothing ever happens there.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

And, furthermore Nate :) , I've tweeted the news and mobile alerted it, too.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The Truth notes that there was a post about how to make room to sign and keep Mason.

The Truth asks "Don't we have TWO punters!?!" The Truth waves goodbye to Frost.

Posted by: The Truth | August 11, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I missed all the jibba jabba from the weekend. How did TC look? Is he learning the system?

HAIL!

Posted by: Dik | August 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm Erasmus James Bi**h!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The Truth also just thought about Erasmus James and how bad The Redskins are at keeping healthy players healthy, and The Truth is starting to think Erasmus might not make it out!

Posted by: The Truth | August 11, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Just for you Dealer from Peter "I hate everything about the Skins" King.

h. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jason Campbell (12 of 15 in two quarters so far) is going to be really good for the Redskins

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The Truth also asks for a slightly more indepth review of the game, or a link to one.

The Truth was stuck watching the Falcons/Jaguars! The Truth DID like seeing DJ "The Shocker" Shockley in the game though, even though he threw a pick in the endzone with under 30 seconds left to lose the game :(

Posted by: The Truth | August 11, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

This draft class is looking pretty good so far - not counting injured WR's of course. The only guys who've yet to distinguish themselves are Tryon and Moore (at least he has his injury as an excuse). 2 out of 8 - not bad. Hopefully Tryon just needs playing time. Any word on how he's looking in practice?

Posted by: skinswest | August 11, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

huntley meadow nads

Posted by: nads guy | August 11, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Nate, why are you up so early?

I have an excuse, that being that I'm in NoVa right now. Been here since last Monday. My step-dad had triple bypass and aortic valve replacement on Thursday. All went swimmingly, and he'll hopefully come home today. My wife and I are here helping out him and my mom, hence my absence from the blog. Been reading, though.

Most likely flying back to Laffolympia on Wednesday.

As an FYI, the heart and vascular center at Inova Fairfax is wicked good. Not just the pedigrees of the people who work there, and the fantabulous equipment they use, but everyone there has been super nice and genuinely caring.

Back to Redskins, I want to see Marcus Mason in the first half. See what he can do agin' the big boys.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 11, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Fred Davis? How has he contributed thus far? I'm only asking because I haven't heard anything from him this preseason.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

from SI, Brett Favre commenting on running a penalty lap in practice after botching a snap from center :

""It's not punishment," said Favre, who couldn't recall if he had ever run a penalty lap in his previous 17 seasons. "It's more of a team unity thing. Nick and I ran it. I told Eric, Day 1, that unless I pass out, I am going to try to do everything that everyone else does."

Well ya know Brett, it IS punishment. When you say you're only doing it to look good and make a good impression, that kinda defeats the purpose...

God I'm so glad I'm not a Jets fan!

Posted by: The Truth in 3rd person | August 11, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Freak, agreed on Mason, lets see how the wonder boy pans out against first stringers. See if maybe some of his sparkle wears out a little bit....

Davis had 3 catches the first game, and I think 1 this past game, but don't quote me.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to your pops-in-law, Freak!

Davis had three catches for 23 yards in the HOF game (7.7 average, longest of 8 yards); one catch for five yards Saturday.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

freakzilla, good to hear -- best wishes to you and the entire zilla family.

As for me, early bird gets the blog, or somethin'

I keep thinking this is the third preseason game, the one where the starters typically play a really long stretch to get their 'game conditioning' before yielding to the kids fighting for roster spots in most of the fourth exhibition game... but of course, this is the third of five for us this year, so that schedule is messy... guess it will be about the same schedule for starters and backups as in the Buffalo game?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

James was on Active/PUP and thus he already counted against the 80-man limit. Releasing Huntley brings the Skins to 79.

Posted by: Mike | August 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The Truth wonders if the next preseason game will be nationally televised with all the annoying Favre hooplah? If so, The Truth will say that is the only positive from this whole annoying ordeal!

Posted by: The Truth | August 11, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I totes missed this over the weekend because I was distracted by the bright, shiny object that is fubball...Bernie Brillstein died.

Among other classics, he was involved in the Larry Sanders show and "It's Garry Shandling's Show" (I can still sing the theme song, btw.)

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Just for you Dealer from Peter "I hate everything about the Skins" King.

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 8:59 AM

Don't know if you remember it, but Peter King has ALWAYS been a big fan of Jason Campbell. When Jason was drafted Peter King said he should have been one of the first five picks.

Of course, when the Redskins traded up to get him, Peter King didn't praise them for this, but said that the Redskins gave up too much for him.

Peter King likes to have his cake and eat it too. He could run for President: "Yes, I voted against Art Monk before I voted for him."

Posted by: Mull It | August 11, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

** Olympics Post ***

The men's 4x100 meter freestyle relay last night. Wow. Greatest...Relay...Ever.

*** End Olympics Post **

JC and the starters looked good Saturday night. By which I mean, Hail to NO major injuries.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Why is springs not playing?

Posted by: Brian | August 11, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Yoder and Alexander have been excused from practice.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

LaRon needs to take it easy. No need to get hurt now.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey Greg and Freak, here is the case for keeping Marcus Mason and how he will do against the first team defense. For 18 str8 weeks last season Marcus practiced against the Redskins top 10 defense. Because of that experience he will do well against the first string defense of the Jets or whom ever because most defenses cannot simulate the SPEED of the skins D. This guy runs with a sense of purpose and he uses his eyes to find the hole. Most running backs in the league are much faster than Marcus and they use their speed to try to out run defenders to the outside ie.. Reggie Bush but you can't do that in the NFL because defenders are just as fast as running backs. You need to set your blocks and trust your line will make the play to get that five yard run.
So unless he is facing the Vikings, Steelers, or the Chargers Defense not many teams will simulate the speed of the skins which he faced for 18 weeks with no other running back to take reps during the season last year.
And Please note that the offensive line play will be much better for him as well which he will make those runs. He is running with a poor line and still make plays against players who are playing their hearts out to make the team. Many of you who never played will call them scrubs but you need to have some skill set to make it that far playing football.
So let him play with the first unit and he will rush for over 100 yards with no problem. He is a five yard runner that will make the runs count if the blocking is there. He will not break many long runs and he will not dance in the holes and he is not afraid of contact. He is what you want in most of your runners-- A productive five yard runner--

Football Fan #1

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 11, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Since Springs played Saturday, he's taking it easy today. They don't want to aggravate his Achilles'.

(I think Socrates wrote a play about aggravating Achilles....)

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

football fan, thanks for your input, again, lets actually SEE him do it against the #1's, and then go from there.

Does anyone know who is going to be introducing Mason for his HOF Speech?

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Dude, if Mason could average 100+ against starting D's, he would've been on the field playing in regular season games already. Everybody always says not to pay attention to preseason, yet everyone wants to pick and choose certain players in preseason.

Newsflash : The Colts are 2-14 in their last 16 preseason games.

Also, interesting quote from Peter King :

"6. I think I learn something every time I read Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News. The other day, he was writing about how dumb the "tackles'' stat is -- something all of us who cover the league think is true but only Goose had the brains to write about -- and made this point: "The Indy defense was on the field for 980 snaps last season. But there were no tackles [made] on 199 of those plays because they were either incomplete passes, interceptions or offensive touchdowns. That left 781 defensive snaps that involved a tackle -- and the Colts' coaching staff awarded a league-high 1,416 tackles. That's an average of 1.81 tackles per play. The Indianapolis staff awarded 891 "solo" tackles in those 781 plays. Figure that one out.'' Superb point."

Also, over/under 1 postseason win for the Skins this year???

Posted by: The Truth in 3rd person | August 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know who is going to be introducing Mason for his HOF Speech?

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 9:45 AM

Me.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Cyndy,

That would be Homer, not Socrates =]

Posted by: SCSkins | August 11, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth in 3rd person | August 11, 2008 9:45 AM

So there has never been a player, out of all your presumed years of watching football, that you've seen and thought: "I would like to see that guy make the team", based on his performance?

Just asking out of curiosity. I'm not sure if you're from the DMV but this area is abuzzin about Marcus. Just to let you know... I know he coughed up the rock on the opening kickoff, but if I were Rock, as Corkczar put it, I'd be "watching my six".

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Homer, Socrates...same thing.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The Team just signed Rock to a 3 year deal correct?

Rock has proven that he's a reliable kick returner, but not much more.

I mean, is Mason that much better than Rock that you take the cap hit, and keep him?? Doesn't seem to make sense to me. You're not gaining that much, if ANYTHING at all.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

okay...so like there's no more room left on colt 45's bandwagon...ohh wait...yes, there is cuz i'm jumping off of it. that was the first time i seen him play. that boy does not belong in the nfl.

jc: he's late on his throws. still.

(white)america's conspiracy: isaac hayes and bernie mac died this weekend. america, that's just not fair.

olympics: wow just wow! a 32 year old took down the french. amazing race. let's hope he don't get tested +. cuz i'm just a year older than him and i can't even bike that fast.

and china, china has 9 gold medals!!!!! WTF! the us of a has only 3!!!! wtf! let's go team usa!

and the russian gymnast dude on pummel horse...wow!!! just wow! clutch! he pummeled it!

skins: i'm also off of mason's bandwagon as well. sign and trade. 4-12 my final prediction.

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Note to Zilla&Family: Hope all continues to go well for your step dad and entire family. Tough weekend for the brothers losing Issac Hayes("Shaft")among his many great works,and Bernie Mack(actor,comedian). This weekend should be interesting with all the Brett Farve hype it will be a circus even though its preseason.I like Mason he runs "smart" uses his eyes i hope he sticks,a little worried about the "D" i know i know its early and they probably need time to jell with all the regulars.I love Zorn's approach.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 11, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see anybody who plays well make the team, sure.

But to say this guy can average 100+ a game on starting NFL defense's is just absurd.

And I'm nowhere near the area and didn't see Saturday's "game".

Posted by: The Truth in 3rd person | August 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Mason should be cut. As many up here have iterated, there's a reason he was on the practice squad last year, and there's a reason nobody picked him up. The fact that he's been one of the best Redskins throughout this preseason and last preseason means nothing. He hasn't had a regular season carry, therefore he is terrible. And I don't want a terrible player getting any regular season carries. Mason should probably just be cut today. I really don't even know why he's trying. He wasn't drafted, and therefore is awful.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Who wants to back me up on that?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

So, by saying "The Truth in 3rd Person" you are cancelling out the 3rd person and reverting to first person?

RIP Isaac Hayes

"Hello Children!"

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Anon, I'm not backing you up on that. I guess my point is that if the team keeps Mason, how much is he going to contribute??

If Portis needs a breather, thats when/why you have Betts.

Rock returns kickoffs, so where exactly does he contribute to the team?

The only way I could see keeping him is if Portis or Betts gets hurt. So many people have fallen in love with what amounts to a 4th string running back? I'm just not getting it??

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous, there is a reason you remain that way because you speak with your ass and not your mouth. You make no sense......

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

To Jalaca:

In the previous thresd, RedskinRay asked who our backup long-snapper is. I do not think he was implying that we should cut Albright, but more concerned about depth.

Since he does everything else, is it Lorenzo Alexander?

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Greg, you make sense and we should trade him for value or a position of need....

Posted by: Football Fan #1 | August 11, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Also According to Peter King, Mike Vick may end up playing in the upstart UFL, good for the UFL so sad for Vick.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 11, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

what really got me off of mason's bandwagon was his pic. he has a double chin! sellers doesn't have a double chin!

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

To Jalaca

Marcus Mason has made a fine showing so far this preseason. My concern is, can he hold onto the ball? He fumbled on the opoening kickoff. Has he had any other fumbles in this preseason or last? And does he have any problems in practice?

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Me I thought that the practice squad was to groom players that you saw talent in but were not quite ready for the roster. This is true of Mason. He continues to show that he has skills. Zorn thinks so as well, who knows more than any of the "GMs" on this blog.

Some have taken the side against Mason and will not change their mind. Some are for Mason and want to see him given a chance with the first string.

What I don't understand is the side that does not want to give the kid a chance. Maybe he is not any good, but do you really need to be so negative about it? This is our Skins and we should be rooting for the best players to make the team even if that means having to cut someone we like.

And how big of a cap hit would it be to cut Rock anyway?

Posted by: donj1963 | August 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

When Mike Vick gets out of the big house, he's gonna need gainful employment of some ilk. I don't see it being the NFL immediately or, perhaps, even long-range.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

why do you hate mason so much, because he wasnt drafted he is terrible. Ryan leaf was drafted and look how he turned out. micheal westbrook, rod gardner, need I go on. the reason mason is not playing is because we have backs that are better than him right now, but he could start for other teams. to say he is terrible is just plain stupid and not logical.

Posted by: Great one | August 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey, frediefritz! Go to the chat area and submit the question. It's a good one.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If Portis needs a breather, thats when/why you have Betts.

Rock returns kickoffs, so where exactly does he contribute to the team?

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 10:21 AM

(1) In my mind, if he was kept, he wouldn't be 4th string. He'd be 3rd string (ahead of Rock).

(2) We're not talking about signing the guy to a 6 year, $50 million deal. Nor are we talking about giving up 2 draft picks to acquire him. He's minimum salary, young, and has very good potential.

(3) It's depth. In the highest turnover (in terms of depth) position on the field, you've just found another quality guy. Why wouldn't you keep him?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

FF#1, again, why would a team trade for what would amount to a #3, or #4 running back???

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Young running back Marcus Mason shone again Saturday, aside from a fumbled kickoff, and is making Zorn consider carrying four running backs on the final 53-man roster. "He's in the mix, he really is," Zorn said.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

aside from a fumbled kickoff

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 10:37 AM

That's what teams do when they find potential. He'd only be a #3 because Portis and Betts are true studs. Ryan Grant was traded for after coming off the Giants practice squad. I guess he was only a 3rd or 4th stringer too.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Some serious love for Mason here. I haven't seen the guy against starters or running behind a starting line yet, so I can't love him or hate him. He's just a guy in camp right now. Until we see him go with the #1s, that's all he is.

Having said that, Ryan Grant was the same thing a year ago and he ends up in Green Bay for 6th rounder. If someone else is willing to give up a 6th for Mason, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'll never understand the hate against Rock, but he's a more than capable 3rd guy and I've said in this space before that I'd be OK with him as the 2nd guy. Not to mention he won't hand the kicker the ball on kickoffs like Mason. So I'd put Mason on the practice squad one more year and take my chances.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

####so I can't love him or hate him.####

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 10:47 AM

This is the right attitude. With excitement thrown in because he is moving the chains as opposed to the team going three and out.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 10:47 AM

What about Justin Tryon, Chris Horton, Kareem Moore, and Rob Jackson? Surely they're just guys in camp right now. Until I see them go with the #1s, that's all they are. As of right now, I'd take my chances with putting them on the practice squad.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Thing about Zorn is that, if he sez the guy is in the mix, he means it. He seems refreshingly unschooled in coachspeak, so far.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

oops, meant to be typing 1st person there

and yeah I'd like to see him get a chance and obviously I'd love for him to rush for 200 yards a game, but I'm being objective and I don't see it happening.

How old is he? And what's the age for Ladell? I don't think Portis has 5 years left in him, so maybe they'll just have to wait (if possible).

I still wouldn't mind seeing what we could get for Ladell or Rock. I love both of 'em and love 'em on the team, but to me they kinda cancel each other out as both are very good backups, Ladell a bit more proven obviously.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

One thing's for sure: With Campbell and Collins, Cooley and Yoder, Portis, Betts and Mason, Moss, Randle El and Thrash - plus the 3 2nd round draft picks - we are in really good shape at the offensive "skill" positions. Maybe no BBM, TO or Ocho Cinco level players, but very solid.

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:58 AM

You are aware that some of these guys were mid-round picks and play positions that we're lacking depth, right?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | August 11, 2008 9:06 AM

I used to work there, good people make that place run really well. Did you know our own Charles Mann sits on one of the boards there?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:58 AM

Nice way to start the week--anons comparing undrafted FAs to actual draft choices...

All the guys you listed are guys picked to bolster depth at weak positions on the team. Mason is a camp body until he proves otherwise. And running roughshod (and he technically hasn't done that since he hasn't surpassed 100 yards in a game) over 3rd stringers and other undrafted rookies doesn't count.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:36 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:12 AM

I so totally understand the hoopla for signing your post now. I don't know if this is the same Anon or not...

I'm so confused.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree with John D and think we're very underrated at all skill positions. That's what I liked about the draft, the 2nd round picks kinda gave us the depth we need at all skill positions for a long time.

Hopefully next year and the year after we can build up our other positions (coughLBcough).

and people don't sleep on our trade for Erasmus! If he can get healthy (which as I said earlier I'm unsure of) he was a 1st (or was it 2nd?) round talent!

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see E. James start practicing. Of course this open me up to a week of anon posts about how I pitch tents for James....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm so confused.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:13 AM

Just to clarify, they're both from the same Anon. The second post was sarcasm, the 1st one was not.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 11, 2008 11:19 AM

lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Stuart Schweigart signed by the Giants.....

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:13 AM

Oh, I see. Mason's no good because he wasn't drafted. Got it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

4th, really about Stuart?? I'm surprised about that. He seemed to be 'disinterested' from what I could see.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:22 AM

Much thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see McMullen make the team. Yeah I'm loving the camp fodder, so what? I see potential in that guy. He doesn't have any hands, but neither does TO. Hopefully I won't get slammed for my level of optimism for Billy McMullen, as I and others have for Marcus Mason...

Anyone else liking what they've seen from Billy? He and Marcus were getting mad props from B Mitch and Sheehan this morning.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:13 AM

Or is it that you have to keep a guy because he is drafted, irregardless of whether or not he's good?

Got it...nope, I lost it again.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

THIS GUY CALLED THE HUNTLEY CUT...

Washington Redskins NFL Team Column

By John Corcoran

10 August 2008

Don't Order Your Superbowl Tickets Yet

Watching the Redskins offense is like watching paint dry. Wait, did I mention I meant it's like watching paint dry until the ball is snapped? The Oline looks like a still life, and that's a good thing. Suddenly a team marked in the recent past by slovenly basics—procedure penalties galore--is playing a disciplined brand of football, despite playing a patchwork assembly of rookies and youngsters on offense.

Once the vets were done for the night, injuries to backup tackles Todd Wade and Stephon Heyer meant mostly Rooks and Newbies manned the line. In only the second game of the preseason, that could have been a disaster, filed with penalties and sacks. Instead, by game's end, they looked like the Hogs, Jr., using a clock eating 10-minute drive to wrap up the game. Washington, Geisinger, Rinehart, Crummey, & Clark sounds more like a Washington Law firm than an Oline, but don't tell them that.

It's good news for Redskin fans that for the second straight week the team played mostly mess up-free football. There were mistakes, to be sure. Young players learning a new system under a new coach will do that, but the overall performance brings cause for optimism. The running game looked very solid again, too. Add in the excellent passing numbers by the starter and backup QBs, and it could mean a long tenure at Redskin Park for Jim Zorn.

On the downside, last week's QB hero, Colt Brennan fell back to earth with a performance more in line with a rookie than a team savior.

On the other side of the ball, despite injuries in the defensive backfield, Greg Blache's gang held Buffalo's starters to a single field goal and the Bills to 14 points overall, eight coming after the interception of a Collins pass.

So, while waiting for next Saturday's Favre-o-Mania event against the Jets, here's Week Two's Report Card:

LOOKING GOOOOOD, BABE (VET DIVISION)....

JASON CAMPBELL: Another good outing. Still need to see if he'll come through in two-minute drills with game on the line.

CARTER AND TAYLOR: Neither defensive end played much, neither got a sack, but between them they forced two procedure penalties on nervous Olinemen.

LADELL BETTS: Looked quick and sharp, and may be returning to the form he showed two years ago.

BILLY McMULLEN: Big third-year wideout from Virginia, an underperformer for various teams in the past, was leading receiver.

RANDY THOMAS: The veteran guard, who missed most of last year, is definitely back.

LOOKING GOOOOOD BABE (KIDS DIVISION)....

MARCUS MASON (2nd year): I'll say it now. Barring injury or another fumble like the one on the opening kickoff, this kid makes the team. He runs hard and has that old cliché "escapability," managing to stay North and South while juking the first defender.

CHAD RINEHART (Rookie): Played most of the game at left tackle without getting his name mentioned. For LTs that's a positive.

DEVIN CLARK (Rookie): Played most of the game at right tackle without getting his name mentioned. For RTs that's a positive, too.

JUSTIN GEISINGER (3rd year): Impressed as backup center, a position of need. Making the right calls.

ANDREW CRUMMEY (Rookie): The unfortunately named guard comes from the Maryland Terrapins, same place that produced last year's pleasant surprise, tackle Stephon Heyer.

ROB JACKSON (Rookie): No sacks this week, but another solid performance for the defensive end. Could come down to him vs. Chris Wilson.

WE COULD USE A LITTLE MORE FROM….

FRED DAVIS (TE). Caught one ball, would like to see him break out to establish himself as a threat in a two tight end offense, and as a solid backup to Cooley. Oh he'll make the team, just want to see more.

JON JANSEN (T): Veteran OT is coming around slowly. Has he lost a step?

MISSING SAFETIES: Kareem Moore got a stinger and missed some PT, but returned. Vernon Fox didn't play due to personal issues. Chris Horton missed game due to a Colon infection. (Say what?) This new kid from Ohio State, Shawn Springs, had to step in.

LEIGH TORRENCE (CB): Gave up a TD pass. Other than that not a bad game, but not a good one, either.

MAY BE SENSING THE TURK IN THEIR FUTURE....

DERRICK FROST (Punter): He flat out had a bad night. Worst punt of the game had no hang time and resulted in a long runback. With a sixth round pick invested in rookie Durant Brooks, it's the end of the line for Frostie unless Brooks is hurt or gets a case of the shanks.

KEVIN HUNTLEY (DE): The Redskins have two defensive ends from Kansas State. One at most will make the team. Huntley doesn't appear to be that one.

J.T. TRYON (CB): Because he's a third round pick, he probably won't be cut, but his play has been disappointing both weeks. He's barely 5'9" and it shows.

NEMO BROUGHTON (FB): Looked awful on one block, but got better as game went on. Still, it's a numbers game.

DEREK DEVINE (QB): Looks ticketed for Practice squad, at best.

ANTHONY MIX (WR): If he misses any significant time due to his rib injury, it looks dicey. The Redskins have four WR untouchables in Moss, Randle El, Thomas, and Kelly, and McMullen is coming on strong. Thrash is a Special teams beast, but the last receiver kept could be between Thrash and Mix.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Non-Redskins post...

For the 24 fans among us:

"He's got total control of our Geocities page!"

Priceless.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 11, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

any word on why those two were excused from practice?

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I see. Mason's no good because he wasn't drafted. Got it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:27 AM

Got it...nope, I lost it again.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM
----------------------

1) How are you arguing with me AND yourself?

2) Nobody said he's no good because he wasn't drafted. In fact, I never said that he's no good, period. I just said before we go cutting quality veterans, let's see if the kid can play against first stringers.

3) The Skins won't just keep someone because they were drafted. You just have to be more patient with draft picks because you gave something up to get them. Since you didn't put anything into an undrafted rookie, they usually end up out the door.

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM

Um, "irregardless" is a word. Emmitt Smith may think it's not, but I assure you it is.

Personally, I don't think there's much of a difference between late round draft picks and UFAs. Vinny himself said his draft strategy was based on BPA. Why would you draft "best player available", then disregard "best player in camp"? I don't get it.

And nobody is talking about cutting any seasoned, productive vets to make room for Mason. We're talking about with the last few roster spots, where it may be decided to keep some random safety, or a 6th WR, or a 6th string CB, or a 5th DE, or someone that could easily be picked up off waivers - why wouldn't you rather take a guy who has shown you real potential and hasn't given any reason to doubt him (other than the fact that he wasn't drafted)?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM

This sort of crap is always the most boring, tedious pedantry up here on RI. But for brownwood26 it's nearly rocket science.

Posted by: So what? | August 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Actually:

From Webster's:

"Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

Not to score points, but only because it came up last week in cubicle land down here.

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Joe Bugel has left the Redskins to be with his daughter Holly, who has a rare form of bone cancer

From Redskins.com.

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

while it may be a word, it has no logical meaning. Regardless= without regard.

I guess with a double negative, irregardless= with regard?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

No one needed to be released to make room for James, players on Active/PUP count toward the 80-man roster. Huntley was released to make room for someone else.

Posted by: Chris Nelson | August 11, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

And as for this whole "irregardless" thing, it's not REALLY a word. It's in the dictionary because it's use has become so common. "Ain't" is in the dictionary but it's not a real word, it's almost become one just by its use. Irregardless makes no sense as a word because the Ir- prefix is unnecessary. Regardless means, without regard. Regard. Less. Therefore no prefix, like ir-, is necessary to convey the "without" part. Irregardless is a redundant version of regardless.

Posted by: Chris Nelson | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

can't get on new thread, is it more blog maintenance?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is going on with the new tread?

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse