Kevin Millar, This Post's For You

Hey guys, thought you deserved a new post so you don't have to scroll through so many comments, if nothing else. I am off this week so don't have much new on the Skins, other than they will sign three-five kids on defense in the next week from the weekend's workout but seem to have pretty good numbers on the other side of the ball with the addition of Hilton, Blaylock and the new WR for depth at camp.

Had a perfect day at Camden Yards with Chloe on Monday. She was unbelievably good and actually sat and was fairly into the first three innings of the game, before we ventured off for a walk (and ended up spending 45 minutes at the playground there, which I had no idea existed until this afternoon). We got there early, got a great ticket (box seats are $55 now? holy schnikes, when did that happen? been sitting in the press box too long. that's awful steep) and went in. No BP, but the Oriole Bird was a huge hit, although Chloe wouldn't pose for a picture with him and freaked out when he got close.

Kevin Millar, by far my favorite Oriole from his previous BoSox contributions, stepped up huge. I called out to him before the game that the 2-year old on my shoulders was at her first game and asked if there was a spare baseball around. He ran in the dugout and tossed me back a new ball. Class guy. You gotta respect that move. Chloe loved it. He rules. I explained to Chloe that Kevin was good friends with "Big Poppi" - our favorite player - and that made him even cooler.

Nice, brisk pitching duel under pristine conditions. Went to the right field area above the scoreboard and she loved that (but wanted to sit on the home run fence). She didn't want to leave by we split by 2:30, before the O's imploded and would have love to see Haffner's grand salami, but she passed out as soon as we got in the car. Naptime ubber alles, people.

All night long she kept saying, "Go back to basey-ball game! Go back to basey-ball game!" (She also made me tell he nothing but "Oriole Bird Stories" at bedtime). So when we got back to NOVA I looked at the paper and saw the Nats are playing at 1 on Wed. so I promised her we would. Talked it up. Got her all fired up. Was about to organize a blog outing ... Then we turned on MASN to watch some baseyball before her bath and I realized they are at the Brew Crew, not at home. Yikes.

Anyway, spent tonight finding every afternoon start possible for every minor league team within a day's drive ($10-$15 for a front row seat, now you're in my wheelhouse). Bowie Baysox and Potomac Nationals, meet your two newest fans. See you guys at the Park.

Also, shot over to the Post tonight to do a live shot for the Comcast show, crossing K Street on my way from the Metro Station and a lovely woman calls out my name at the corner. I have no idea who she is, and as my mind starts racing a millions mph trying to place the face and scan over any possible previous encounters with this person, she tells me she's Lisa from the blog. Pretty neat. She ran into Cindy in the same spot a few weeks back.

Lisa, you rock. Thanks so much for saying Hi and I hope we cross paths again. We're a better blog for having you. Keep the Ipod cranking, and may your walk home from work always be brisk and smooth.

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 7, 2007; 11:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blaylock Is a Skin; Hilton About 99 Percent
Next: No Surprises at OTAs When It Comes To The MIAs

Comments

My eldest wee one (12!) still talks about going to DC United games in the late 90s -- not for the soccer, but for the hot dogs... but not being able to make it through the whole game does put a damper on things, even at "only" $29 a ticket...

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 7, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Those are the experiences that last a lifetime. Thanks for reminding me why I love the sports I do.

Kevin and Trot still hold the heart of the nation.

Posted by: Lurker | May 7, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

In ah word for the Fall..."Wizards"!!!

Posted by: Pink C.C.- | May 8, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I'll always remember the first game I went to, the great Gary Ablett Snr. took a huge speckie right in front of us, against Richmond, he always owned the Tigers, his sons do as well.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

"took a huge speckie right in front of us"

Can't you get arrested for that?

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 8, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason! It was great meeting you! And I made it home in time to see you on Washington Post Live.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow. There's "inside baseball" and then there's "inside aussie rules" . . . a whole new level.

Was that even English, Kost?

(We kid because we love. And because we don't understand.)

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Cload - LMGO

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Kost -- could you explain the "father-son" rule?

Four minutes doing the wiki have increased my aussie rules knowledge by a factor of 10.

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:34 AM | Report abuse

You write more about Chloe than the Redskins. I don't want to read about your personal life, even it is regarding your cute kid. Everyone thinks their kids are cute -- please stop inflicting it on the rest of us.

Posted by: Off Season Blues | May 8, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha Yeah I guess the term speckie is just slang for spectacular mark. Imagine if there were no pass interference rules, and a player jumped onto the shoulders of an opponent to catch the ball. Here's Mark of the Year from a few years ago -

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Oh right: here I was, enjoying the community of the RI blog because of the random, educational, across-the-oceans nature of the interaction, and I had almost forgotten why I've stopped reading so often and started leaving the house instead. Then you came in, Off Season, and reminded me. Thanks.

Now go away.

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Damn
that was awesome Kost

Posted by: RBD202 | May 8, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Do you ES-types have a 24-hr duty/watch set up or something, kinda like in the military, making sure you can annoy more congenial RI-types at all hours?

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Father-Son rule is interesting, I don't think there are any other sports which have anything like it. What it basically means is that if a player plays 100 games with the one team, that team then has the right to select said players sons for next to nothing. Aussie Rules isn't as position based as something like Gridiron, which makes it possible. For example, lets say Shawne Marion plays his entire career at the Suns. When he has kids, and they nominate for the draft, the Suns have the first right to draft them, regardless of where they pick. Aussie Rules is strong on footy culture and history, Gary Ablett was one of the greatest players ever for Geelong, and now that both his sons are playing for the same team, the name is built upon. Wouldn't work in gridiron though, a good example is the Manning boys, they play the same position.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, very cool, Kost, except it was an obvious pass interference . . .

(may have to do some more of the googles/wikis before I get aussie footie rules down pat)

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

See Off Season? That's why we come here. The spread of useless knowledge spawned by JLaC's post about his day with Chloe.

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Looks like I killed the BLOG. Wouldn't be the first time!

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love the dudes that roll up strong and talk about what they don't want on the very forum they don't want it.

check out extremeskins.com, the times, profootballtalk.com, whatever you want if you don't like it here, don't show up. Go to those other places if you don't want to pick up what JLC puts down. Smell you later.

Nate from the Peezy, welcome to my myspace family.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | May 8, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I know I am late on this one. But what the hell! From the last post. Barney Fifes. LMGO!

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Come on man...Football please...Baseball SUCKS!!! The most boring sport every created.

Posted by: Rob | May 8, 2007 7:20 AM | Report abuse

There's a lot of whiny little girls on this blog.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

ps.. boo to red sox and ex-sox players. unless of course they are currently on the yankees of course

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Going back to the last Post;

About Betts and Brunell being cut, or traded etc....

When they signed their new contracts (Brunell restructured) they got signing bonuses. Brunell was the prorated version of his old contract to reduce the cap number.

Now, Snyder is one to spend money and not care where it goes, but why put money into these players hands when they could have just been cut? What, are they all of a sudden expendable?

Look at it from Gibbs perspective, his woody for Brunell notwithstanding, Brunell got us to the playoffs two years ago, if JC goes down, we need him. He is NOT going anywhere. Now Betts numbers from last year when our number 1 went down

Rush Yards Avg Long TD 20+ 1st
245 1154 4.7 26 4 6 59

So do you really think Gibbs is going to get rid of our Back-up RB when he produced like this last year?

Now, if Brunell is still injured, they could cut him and recoup some money. But realistically, Gibbs told Snyder these guys were in our plans to stay on the team so Gibbsy told Snyder to pay them.

People in danger of being cut or traded are those near the end of their contract, or older players with high cap numbers (Not 27 yr old Betts, or Low Cap number Brunell). There are not many on this team with that trade value, Springs is the only one to come to mind (Sorry Lisa). But even then his value has been questioned.

Truthfully, the ONE thing Snyder has done well is manage his players cap hit, sometimes taking that hit to rid the team of a virus (Hello LAverneus), but most often re-structuring and lowering the cap hit.

So really, since this team is lacking depth, why trade current players for another player, when they could trade future draft picks for the DE they need?

Which IMHO is what I think will happen.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Oh, We are the soldiers of the
Barney Fife Army!
We kill chooches and bamas
by the score!
Yes, we are the heroes of the
Barney Fife Army!
Come correct or don't come
through our doors!

Posted by: Sargeant Major | May 8, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Brunell restructuring was actually a precondition for cutting him... he would've been about a $6M cap hit before; now, if the shoulder is a career-ender, they can cut him without any real cap hit ($800K).
I'm not sure I understand how Betts' contract is structured. Typically for the skins, since we front-load contracts with a nice signing bonus, the player is untradeable early in the contract -- the cap accelleration becomes unacceptable. In Betts' case, the way the numbers are laid out, it's possible that he could be trade-able in 2007, but gets a reasonable ($2.1M) roster bonus in 2008.
In any case, his salary number is pretty reasonable for a #2 RB (particularly given Portis' injury history).

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 8, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Who killed the blog?

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure who killed it but in these situations I always like to blame it on George W. Bush

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 8:28 AM | Report abuse

C&D;

I dont think we would purposefully restructure just to cut him. We probably would have asked him to buy out.

Now if he is injured and cant play then we are okay. But I dont think it was our malicious intention to restructure just to cut him or to protect us against his injury.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Max did you see clip of him yesterday with the Queen? After he f up once again. he says "that's a look a mother gives her child". How in the hell did he become president?

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I saw the clip. I always try to catch Olbermann's show and last night they pointed out how he even threw a wink at the Queen as well after the screw up, like it was some sort of inside joke. If anything that dude has balls. I have no idea how he became president but however it happened I am sure it was all sorts of legal.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Can we make a blog law to not bring politics to the table?

I dont care either way, but I see enough politics all day long and I come here to not deal with that.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Sorry dude, it wasn't my intention. Chalk it up to me being new. Plus I'm pretty sure it killed the bloh. Here's a Skins related question, do we know what number Landry is going to be yet?

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

He wore #30 at rookie camp, but I guess it does not get set until training camp. Even then, if a vet with the number he likes gets cut, he might switch it.

So dont buy a Landry jersey until the season begins.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Can we make a blog law to not bring politics to the table?

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 08:52 AM

Can we do the same about kids such as JLC's? I see kids all day and I come here to not deal with that. They really need to change the name of this blog if there's not hardly going to be any football talked about.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

PDSquared, no that's not a good blaw. because that's like asking Mr. Tony to only talk about sports. I'm an independent and find myself siding with the republicans more often than not. and somethings that are said up here do bother me but this is WAPO. also life would be very very very boring from November(when the season ends for the skins) to February (when the season starts) up here.

memo to wapo owners: your little sister (express)'s is getting its' ass kicked by The Examiner. MUCH MUCH MUCH better read. and i HATE Washington Times and love the real wapo.

I would like to introduce a blaw. Not to ask someone of their sex and age. My boy nate did that a couple of posts back with JustMe.

I liked the "look" on people's "faces" when they find out about MVDame and Lisa and others...

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I doubt it anon; A blog is what the moderator makes it. He writes, we respond. He said there was not much skins news, so that would have been a good indicator that there was not much to discuss.

Usually I scan in these cases for links, since other sources might have news.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

i need ritalin! golly! a 3 year old can finish their thoughts better than me!

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

jm220, lisa, cindy and to all the vegeterians up here, where does a man on the move get his protein without eating meat?

i need ideas. is protein shake the only, the easiest way to go?

also i've been going thru withdrawls. my suggestion to people who're going thru withdrawls is to give in. cuz trust me you'll never want to eat meat again!

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry dealer, but there are blogs about politics on WAPO. We can talk about sports or anything JLa related here, including young Rocco and Chloe.

But really, despite my political orientation, I care about peoples opinion on sports/skins, not politics. I dont blog there b/c I dont claim to know S... about politics. I am not an analyst, I dont watch or pay attention as much as I do sports.

Sports is the escape from the real world, so thusly I dont feel it should be brought here.

And to your blaw about age and sex, If they answer then whats the issue. If you dont want to respond, they dont have to.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Dealer they have protein bars. I like the shakes better.A lot of body builders also get their protein intake from peanut butter.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

BTW Max;

Did you choose your moniker since it was the only one you spelled correctly? And did you get it from Marges' Hairdryer?

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,

Green grass has about 5% protein, but in the spring, the protein goes up to about 10%. Now is the time to graze.

Posted by: A Horse, of course | May 8, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Just to add with the whole age and sex thing, that brings back wonderful memories of when I used to have AOL and every 5 minutes you'd get an instant message asking "a/s/l?". Very annoying, but if you're cool with it then by all means have a blast. It gives a whole dating service vibe though.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

No one big is getting cut. We were 5.1 Mil under the salary cap before we signed the RB this weekend. Plenty of room ot sign our rookies...........

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering if anyone would catch the reference. I could have gone with this or Super Nintendo Chalmers but that was just too long.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Redskins' 2007 Salary Cap Situation
Last updated: May 3, 2007

$5.184m* under the Skins adj cap of $109.656m.

*NOTE: This figure will be adj on June 1 for the pre-June 1 release of WR David Patten.

Posted by: es | May 8, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

ES, $5.1 million, or what's left of it, won't go far -- we already signed the RB plus the TE. And, if they pick up anyone after the June cuts there just isn't enough there. Plus they need some slack to extend Cooley and they may have to put more money on Taylor after he sees how much they're paying Landry.

I think Springs is a goner in June unless he restructures.

Posted by: KK | May 8, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Here's the stats from Casey Bramlet's last game versus Rhein. He's like the second ranked QB in that league.

C.Bramlet (HAM) 18-27-220 3TD

Posted by: protosnot | May 8, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Despite the cap room can we go ahead and cut Brunell. I appreciate what he did for the team two years ago but I'd really hate to see Gibbs look for any excuse to start him.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I always thought that there was a rookie pool of salary cap monies specifically allocated for them. And I also thought it did not affect our main cap. Am I wrong about that?

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

This is including those signings (I believe). It dosen't include Blaylock, though. And signing Landry should only cost us 2 Mill at most in Cap terms. So, there is no reason to cut Springs when at this moment. You do not need Cap space this year to sign Cooley...

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Dealer, I drink protein shakes and occasionally do eat peanut butter. Also, I am not a total vegetarian - I eat fish on occasion but have not touched beef, pork, poultry, anything like that in about 13 years. That being said, I do not get enough protein - it's something I need to work on as well.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 09:33 AM

*********************************

And, if your screen name was obviously feminine, they would ask for measurements as well. Really.

Posted by: JustMe | May 8, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess my point was that the 5.1 in cap space does not count against rookies. That there is a % of the full cap for rooks, and that is not the published number of cap space.

So 5.1 plus the rookie allocation is what we have. Maybe Jla could chime in if he knows

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

PDS -- I was not trying to imply that the skins were being malicious -- I think there's a 50/50 chance he's the #2 QB in September. Just that the way the contract was restructured is very cap friendly given what it could've been. And Scott handled it professionally; he got a couple of bucks ($1.9M, I believe), but could very easily be coaching a high school team by September...

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 8, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

PDSquared, I had always understood that the rookie pool is a maximum amount that you can pay your rookies, and that it comes out of the total cap. It is not a separate pool of money. But I could be wrong about that.

ES--How are you going to sign the sixth pick in the draft for only $2 million cap hit? And, didn't the Blaylock and Hilton signings reduce the available cap by about $1.5 million? And, if we extend Cooley this season -- before he becomes a FA -- doesn't that count against this year's cap?

Posted by: KK | May 8, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Lisa can you tell me if we are trading Betts? lol

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I can totally relate to Jason's post.
I have kids who are ready to go to a baseball game and be bored too.

Also, I remember being a kid and going to Senators games with my family. As for the Skins, I could never get a ticket. I did watch on TV...Chris Hanburger, Charlie Taylor, Larry Brown...not to mention Sonny. So, it's about being a lifelong fan, right?

For those who want the blog to be all about football and devoid of personal content.

How about making it real and posting something personal too...dive in the water's fine.

Posted by: Stumped | May 8, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

ES, PDSquared--

Washington's rookie pool is $3.432 million. "The rookie pool is essentially a cap within a cap. It represents the maximum each franchise can spend, in terms of total cap dollars, on its first-year players. A team's rookie allocation is part of, not in addition to, its overall spending limit."

With cap space of $5.1 million before the weekend, and following the Hilton and Blaylock signings, they don't have anything left. They will have to open up some more cap space.

Posted by: KK | May 8, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salary Cap FAQ's | May 8, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

JustMe, I can believe that. As obnoxious as it was dealing with the teenage girl random IMers I can only imagine what it was like dealing with the teenage boys.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

thanks lisa, i hope i can last 13 years. so far i've already had one hicup. i was craving beef and had 5 guys. the good part is i felt nauseated afterwards probly cuz my body isn't used to it anymore. kinda odd though that i had that reaction cuz it hadn't been THAT long.

but i'm going to rember that feeling for a while.

but you know...with me it's everything. except cheese, yogurt, milk. honestly i can't tell you what happened. you rember how i was talking about beef and burgers a couple of months ago uphere right? 32 years of carnivorous existence...wow...

my experience is for sale though to any religion and organization and food/beverage company. PETA? i'm all yours if you want me.

any brand names you guys recomend for protein shakes? i love peanut butter.

jm220, the latest is that the skins have acquired antawn jamison just to trade him along with Betts. ;)

justme, max power, yep that's what i'm talking about.

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

wynn, jimoh, collins/brunell, fox,sallie doughty, stoutmire, broughton.thats a list of people to cut just off the top of my head. not all will be, but good younger cheaper talent we need to develope. you could throw a couple other names who are valuable but vunerable marshall and evens.though i think both are safe this year.skins like versatile veterns so thrash is safe another year and that keeps marshall puccillo and rock around for one more.But fourth reciever and de are still needs not addressed that would be helpful from a team building standpoint.But again I really don't expect any huge surprises unless a deal is made or some of the rookies/undrafteds turnout to be real playa's once they get the paids on and start hitting people.

Posted by: Old School | May 8, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok, makes sense. I just thought I heard it somewhere different.

Ok Cload, I see what you are saying.

Something personal Stumped, okay, the saying never do business with family is the only other sure thing in life after death.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not that after death it is a sure thing. But the sure things in life are

1) Death
2) Never do business with family

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

That is def the acceptable list, Old School, except for wynn. He just took a 50% pay cut, so I think they won't cut him because he is a "core" 'redskin'....

Also, we just signed stoutmaire....

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

havent been posting much, still reading and all, but there has been an influx of a$$clowns lately.

anyway, dealer... go to GNC and get their brand of protein shakes, also ask them about there "club" which can get you discounted prices, plus even better prices at the end of the month or something like that. Ask the clerk about which type of shake mix to buy. I strongly suggest finding a fruit of something to mix with the shake for flavor.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 8, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

es

he is the guy i would def cut. I see wynn/daniels as the same player. both good lockeroom types only daniels gives you more on the field. wynn to me has zerooooo impact on the field and de is most definately an impact position in the league.so replace wynn with a guy who can play on third down only.

Posted by: Old School | May 8, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I could see broughton getting the ax along with Collins and doughty. Jimoh is a servicable reserve and a good STer and isnt going anywhere. Brunell just restructured so that he could be the 2nd string QB this year and his cap hit was reduced, you dont go and cut the guy who just did you a favor... no matter how undeserved his pay was, he was entitled to it. I could see rock in some trouble, but maybe we just want to have 4 RBs on the roster with Portis still not 100%???

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 8, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Yes Max Power we understand that you got your name off of a blow-dryer. However, long ago there was another poster who used the same moniker, fyi.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | May 8, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

old school, wynn isnt going anywhere... he JUST took a paycut to stay with the team. He wont be starting but I'm sure he will be fine in a rotation. We are going to have to work on getting younger at DE next year... we missed the one opportunity to do that this year. But I'm glad we go into next years draft with all but one of our selections.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 8, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"i was craving beef and had 5 guys"

...what does that mean?

I think blogs are a great place to talk about personal experiences. If you are a father, that means you talk about your kids. I have a kid and I like to talk about him. Obviously, if there are more pressing Redskins new stories to ponder and discuss, then I'd expect that we spend more time on those.

I hate to sound like Michael Wilbon, but seriosly, it is May. Not really peak NFL news season. Jason was all over the draft as it went on, and now he's freshening up the posts to keep some kind of conversation going given the time of year and the absense of any real important goings on in Redskin's Park. I mean we could talk in circles about Betts and Brunell and some new DE all week, but it probably won't lead to anything newsworthy.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend JLC. Someone was pointing out the other day that he probably doesn't need defenders and doesn't mind having enemies on this blog. I guess I just can't stand the kind of people that hang around and throw out negative vibes. Go away.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | May 8, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't be so sure we will still have all of next years picks. We still have almost an entire year leaving ample time for the FO to piss them all away. We still had a couple 1st day picks going in to preseason last year and came out of it with Duckett instead.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

thank max power... I am still in the "we are going to win the superbowl mode" please dont pee on my parade... LMGO!!!

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 8, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Dealer, I can't even stand the thought of meat....even portobello mushrooms remind of beef - I can't stand them. I like Muscle Milk Protein Shakes.

jm220, my lips are sealed about "you know who."

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

dealer I was justing make fun of Lisa from the last post. The three companies I use is TwinLab, EAS, and Xyience.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Lurker, Kevin and Trot hold nothing as far as the 'nation' is concerned. Trot had the WORST STATS for a starting right fielder in the league last year. Sorry, good riddance, he's sucked for the last 3 years. Millar was pretty much the same. He was good for 1/2 a season.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | May 8, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Not so sure about that take on Trot. I am the lone yankee fan among a bunch of red sox fans and they all thought Trot was the cats pajamas and were pretty pissed about the whole JD Drew thing. The whole concept of the Sox Nation I thought was the fact that you had a bunch of misfits (other than Ortiz) that all just kind of found ways to get things done.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Max, from 2004 forward, including so far this year, Trot has 29 home runs. 29, for the past 3 years from a starting right fielder. He had the WORST stats in all of baseball for a outfielder last year. Since 2004, he's had 157 rbi's. Sorry, you cannot argue with these stats. They're terrible.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | May 8, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm not arguing with the stats at all. I'm just saying that for some reason or another he was still a fan favorite. Albeit of the tough love variety.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Awesome. I hate both the Yanks and the Sox (the former infinitely more, of course).

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Dealer-

I used to be in constant weight gain mode for my collegiate lacrosse playing days and have thus tried quite a few different protin shakes......my favorite was actually the GNC brand whey protein, it was a bit sweeter than the others (which generally tasted like playdough), and actually became enjoyable after awhile.

Posted by: Jon | May 8, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone confirmed that Hilton is officially on board? I guess 99% is pretty close. I'd LOVE to get Schobel; I agree that he's worth an early-mid rounder or 2 in '08. Hopefully The DAnny will find his Schobel's production sexy enough to warrant some pursuit. I feel like, with the past month or so of coverage, Snyder has reconfirmed his noticeable grip on the FO decisionmaking process. Be smart, Napoleon!

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see one of those aforementioned DEs on the team but I'm not sure if I'd rather keep our picks. The quality of players this squad has acquired in the past few years has made me really jaded towards any deal they try to make now. It would be nice to see us get guys before they start declining for a change.

Posted by: Max Power | May 8, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

D7;

Redskins.com says it is official.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hilton is a Skin, whey protein from GNC... thats what I used to buy...

off to two days worth of meetings!!!! BMGO will have to start on Thursday

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | May 8, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

nyskinsfan, 5 guys is a chain of restaurants down here. they specialize in burgers and fries. we rated them up here couple of months ago as the best burgers right along with fuddruckers. and the undisputed, undefeated, king of burger joints being In-N-Out from the west coast(mainly Ca.)

lisa, thanks. i think i'm going to try your company first. it sounds a lot more calmer.

inigo, jm220, DUDES! that's a bit too much gymish for me. but inigo thanks for the fruit tip. i deff gonna need some fruit. someone also suggested that i could put it on a peanut butter sandwich.

jm220, i was making fun of lisa as well. lisa, "we kid cuz we love." as TK would say...

jm220, should i unseal lisa's lips?

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Indeed. Man, 6'7- I think the majority of his height is in his neck.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

that's it! whey protein! i'll give that milky thingie that lisa mentioned a try first. hopefully it's not just for women.

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Dealer (and any others who care to comment)- was there anything specific, aside from general health benefits, that prompted the switch away from meat? I've cut back in recent years and have always thought about axing meat completely, but have found my love for it too compelling. I know there are tons of positives to avoiding red meat, especially. Thoughts?

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

You may have gotten nauseated because you are a lady.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought Doughty was a second year player? Why get rid of him?

How old is too old? Betts is in his fifth year with multiple injuries, Jansen is in his seventh with only one... yet Jansen is too old?

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 8, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah D;

I went to Highschool with Hilton. He was 3 years younger, but his Dad was the football coach, the one who contacted JLA from a couple of posts ago.

His numbers dont really flesh out to starter potential, but 6'7" in the Red Zone should be a huge target!

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, Muscle Milk is not just for women :) I used to drink a different kind, Myoplex from EAS, but like the taste of Muscle Milk better.

But if anyone has better suggestions, I would like to hear them as well.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Truthfully to all the GNC peeps;

How can I as a red meat eating, beer and cigarette habit having, work out every day (no cardio)and put on mass but dont cut up at all;

use those mixes to help burn my fatty deposits and turn them into muscle?

I have gained plenty of mass, lower my weight and increased my reps trying to cut up.

Everywhere I read they say diet is real important, but I have blood sugar issues and my diet is pretty set.

So is there any 'shortcut' to cutting up by not reducing diet/meat?

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

PDSq: Agreed. I'm all about another big target for JCamp. Was it just me, or did Cooley- whom I love- have more than his fair share of drops last year? I know he's normally got great hands and will totally lay out for it if he can- I just remember a few occasions last year where he miffed on some easy completions.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why are people vegetarians (besides religion)? How can you not eat meat? So yummy...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

My friends, are you not pleased that i am loading up on useless Offensive talent when a MAC truck can drive right through our Defense?

I take pride in making our offense the best it can be!

Posted by: Cerattto | May 8, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

PDsquared-

It is all about diet.......as 'lean' as you may think you are, you need to lose fat to get more definition. I have been trying to get leaner since 'retiring' from lacrosse....

Genetics also play a factor, in that some people are naturally inclined to be more cut than others.

Posted by: Jon | May 8, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

PDSquared yes, drop the weight and increase the rep.

Dealer I did a big write up a couple of months ago on Muscle Milk. Compared the protein intake to other products and it really didn't stand up. It has a really sweet taste as well. If you are trying to put on wieght you are going to need to add a weight gainer as well.

Jon I mix my protien drink with orange juice. You don't have to use water or milk.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Thats just it Jon;

I am the bulkiest of my family, and tallest.

My brothers are both sub 6'; one is 40 and pretty jacked. All very lean. Granted, my hammy wont let me get the cardio in, so I have reduced my diet to what I can to lose weight.

I have lost 15 lb's, getting the V shape back in my chest and waist, added at least an inch to my bi/tricep... but i always look a little bloated. I cant seem to define the head of my bicep. And I have read all the online junk about combination workouts, and this and that.

I have always been told that I have long muscles which would always be hard to build up.

I think I have hit my peak on bulk, now it needs the cut. I guess I am specifically talking about my arms.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Very good points Jon. It's not only about what you eat but when you eat. I put on mass very easy. Most weeks of my 13 week workut cycle I am now lifting light weight (except legs) high reps.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

PDSquared you also need to hit the muscle at different angles. Each time you work your arms it should be on a different machine. If you keep using the same machine and doing the same rep. Then yes you will hit your peak. You also have to give your body time to rest. Like I said before my workout schedule is 13 weeks on 1 week off.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm no expert by any means but whey protein by Sci Fit is decent and reportedly cheaper than GNC.

Posted by: skinswest | May 8, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

jm220- I never mentioned anything about what to mix protein with, but funny you mention oj, because i use oj to mix with the gross meal replacement stuff i last used like 2 years ago....basically masked the taste

Do you write for a fitness mag??? I am off of supplements now, but am considering getting back on in the near future......personal best for me was Mega MRP from GNC for bulk, but am open to whatever if you know better

PD- I personally do a circuit now, not just low weight/high rep, but keep the entire workout fast paced (mostly because I try to minimize time in the gym). But as mentioned, it's less about the workout and more about diet for you (hopefully you can beat those genetics)

Posted by: Jon | May 8, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, I've made it 5 years now....and without even one protein shake. Beans and tofu, man, beans and tofu. Although you gotta know how to cook tofu correctly for it to taste good...

Posted by: WrongDog | May 8, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

One could say the same thing about Dog.

Posted by: RightDog | May 8, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah;

I am starting to see why my choices in college were bad ones. I was always very skinny and then bulked/ballooned up in college.

Now that I sit in front of a computer all day, I have to reduce my caloric intake to 2/3rd of what it was in college.

But I am 6'1" hovering around 200 (was 215) and I can see those results. But its like the big guy with big arms syndrome, except Im not that big and neither are my arms.

But I am pretty satisfied with the mass, just not the cut. I will talk to my Dr. about any supplements I could use that wont affect my diet/blood sugar issues.

Thanks for the info

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, do you think we should trade betts for the d-end from buffalo?

Posted by: Julio | May 8, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Dog is really more about how it's prepared than cooked.

Posted by: Well, | May 8, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the little JLac followers are once again talking about nothing. This is poor excuse for a redskins blog. You say there is little skins news to talk about but on ES we have interviews with all the new rookies. The real problem is everyone at redskins park hates JLac and he can only get information from agents. What else would you expect from a ravens fan who covers the skins cuase he landed a job at WaPo.

Posted by: Mr Ahole | May 8, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

say, any of you cum dumpsters know where I could find some pasta with spinach alfredo sauce?

Posted by: daveb55 | May 8, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Im sorry is this the food lovers insider blog. Does anyone know were I can get can get some cold shrimp, cause thats what this blog reminds me of. LoL

Posted by: Mr Ahole | May 8, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Aptly named, Mr. A.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

ITA.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

ITBF (Ignore the Barney Fifes)

Posted by: Mr Ahole | May 8, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Art is the mothaf*ckin man!!!
Area 51, T.O's worst nightmare.

Posted by: Mexico Dan | May 8, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I am Trogdor- the Burninator.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I really wish JLac would have mentioned were you worked so I could show your boss all the posting your doing while your supposed to be working. I am off work whats the rest of your excuses.

Posted by: Mr Ahole | May 8, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

P I would just love to meet some of these cowards one day on the streets. And see if they have anything to say face to face.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It'd be hammer time for sure, jm220.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

D7, a couple of months back up here i said "i love meat and can't imagine life without it". without giving out too much personal info. about 8 weeks ago there was an event in my life that triggered me to get really down, be very anxious all the time. slowly but surely things passed. as they always do.

the whole time i was going thru this mess i didn't change my routine (diet or anything else). because if i had that would've made me even more mad and angry at my circumstance.

so when i actually got thru this i knew there had to be changes made in my lifestyle. particularly because i didn't like the way i reacted to this situation that i was/am in. and the honest truth is there're going to be more stressful, hurtful, anxious moments that last longer than the one i experienced and are waiting for me down the road with two kids (daughters) et all.

so i figured i better change my makeup and rebuild cuz i'm not going to last long the way i'm built right now.

D7, i have two grills at home (charcoal and non-charcoal). also don't force yourself cuz i'm not forcing myself. try not to eat and if you're craving it then eat it. i've learned (and sceintists too) to pick my battles. i don't fight with my conscious mind. because it's really pointless and there's 50 years of data to prove it. diets don't work! what you want is to somehow tell your subconscious mind to do whatever it is you want to do.

regardless, i HATE the fact they picked @ 6. they should've traded down! ;)

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Associate Head Coach-Offense Al Saunders

On running back Derrick Blaylock:

"I am familiar with him he was a very productive player from his days in Kansas City and then through the wonderful world of free agency he ended up with the Jets. This is a nice opportunity for him to come in to an offense that he is familiar with and he is a very competitive guy and a very reliable player so hopefully he will come in and sign with us and show us what he can do."

On the progress of the players during mini-camp:

"For those young guys it's tough. They are learning a new language. They are running all over the place. We got a quarterback that only ran the option in college. We have some receivers and offense lineman that have never done what we have done. They are a great group of kids and I am sure coach [Joe Gibbs] would reiterate this is the best group of rookies we have ever had. The total number of guys we have with us is still up to conjecture. It was a real good group and they worked hard and I think they had a real good experience and we had a lot of fun with them."

On how the quarterbacks performed during mini-camp:

"They did real well. All three of them came from a totally different system. You got to kind of relearn everything you have been taught. They have been in the same system for the last six to seven years. Jordan Palmer did a nice job. He certainly has the skills. That is why we drafted him. He is a guy we look at developing for down the road. Sam Hollenbach did a real nice job we got him over here from Maryland. He was very accurate with his throws. He has a real long way to go with his development too, but it was nice to see him out here. Our other quarterback [Jonathan Wilson] from VMI did a real good job too."

On Jason Campbell:

"He has been like my son. Every time I look over my shoulder he is here in the offseason. He is making progress. He is a wonderful kid to work with he is extremely bright and he has worked extremely hard on his techniques and fundamentals, which is the only two things you can do in the offseason like this is a lot of film work and a lot of board work a lot of understanding of what we are doing from a schematic stand point and then getting back on the field and working on the fundamentals and techniques."

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

24.....

That dude deserved to get shot in the head!!

Nadia ain't worth a bullet betwwen the eyes.......

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

You ES guys are a bunch of losers. Just cause we talk about things other than redskins like food does not make us a bad redskins blog. Maybe Jason doesn't want to waste is time with every little minute detail of rookie camp. Besides I would rather hear about his day anyway. At least the people on this blog are class acts.

Posted by: Flim899 | May 8, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Dealer you know we are here for you family.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

not to change the subject (if there was one), but i just read on si.com that Aruchuleta is dating this girl:

Does she not watch him standing on the sidelines? This is either very troubling or gives me great hope

Posted by: Jon | May 8, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

D7 or anyone else, if you want to know how to convince your subconscious mind to do something call me at 1-800-IM-A-SUCKR. First 5 minutes $2.99, $1.99 additional minute.

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

ES he was trying to get back on her good side.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe Jason doesn't want to waste is time with every little minute detail of rookie camp. Besides I would rather hear about his day anyway."

Why does that not surprise me. Scary!!

Posted by: Mr Ahole | May 8, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

JM220 - I knew I could reel you in. You a sucker for the Eva Lingoria types, aren't you? Me and wifey was laughing our GUTS out when he got pelt!!

Before he got blown away, I was telling my wife, 'This dude stupid as Siht to not think these people know who is who.' He reminded me of Will Smith from the Fresh Prince days for a minute when he did that. He def desreved to get shot!!

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

jm220, TRUST me if i told you exactly what happened you and lisa would laugh at me...
so like i said there's worst shti to come...hoping it don't come but c'est la vie!

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Ahhhh... good ol' offseason RI. Some feel good from JLaC, some lifting tips from the guys... 24 commentary... total shabingus and I'm loving it.

Jason, thanks for the post. Have fun at the farm game.

Posted by: Dorf | May 8, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Dealer: as soon as made that previous meat-post, I thought that some decisions may be of personal nature and I perhaps should not have posted it. My apologies if it was not in good taste (pun intended).

Having said that, I just read your response and appreciate your candor. I seem to be doing OK just cutting back, so long as things are in balance and I can make it to the gym/track a few times a week. Anything you need, chief- as in jm220's.

Posted by: D7 | May 8, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

JM;

I dont know if the P in the beginning of your invitation for the pissants here who talk tough behind the computer keyboard to meet in the streets was to me, but I would love that. Im in Bmore, they can see me here, and JM wherever you are they can see you there.

People who get on the blog just to spit nonsense and start e-fights telling us to get a life is comical. At least we are discussing something other than World Of Warcraft and Second Life like you losers are (and if you dont know about these virtualverses, it is really really sad)

BTW MR Ahole, I work 12 hour days, and luckily in that work, i am afforded down time every 2 mins or so for about 30 seconds.

So it gives me time to refresh, post or whatever without impacting my work, cause otherwise i would be sitting her staring blankly at my screen as the little hourglass spins.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

will clinton portis get traded back to Denver for Champ Baily?

Posted by: homless_Guy_In_DC | May 8, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

PD I am just tired of people coming in our house with negative energy. Knowing damn well face to face they woudn't say a damn word. I am not into baseball or soccer. When there is a post about those sports I just skip it. There is no need to attack and insult those that like those sports. That's all they the cowards need to do. If it's a post your not interested in. Just move on.

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

John Clayton's take on the Redskins draft:

Can another safety help the pass rush?

Joe Gibbs thought LaRon Landry was the best defensive player in the draft, so he made him the sixth pick after repeated efforts to trade down. Now the Redskins have two of the most talented safeties in the league -- Landry and Sean Taylor, who was the fifth pick in the 2004 draft. The problem is the Redskins passed over a pass-rusher, Jamaal Anderson, to take Landry. The Redskins are calling all around to see if a veteran pass-rusher is available. The Redskins had only 19 sacks last season. Without any pressure on the quarterback, opponents had a 97.8 quarterback rating against them. Unless the Redskins can find a way to get a pass rush, Landy and Taylor might get a lot of opportunities to get tackles downfield.

Pretty much the way Jason laid it out.

Posted by: KK | May 8, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

^^^^WHAT do you meen we will trade Clinton Portis back for Champ baily your stupid

Posted by: Alexander | May 8, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

We only trade Portis for Bailey if Denver throws in their second round pick. Fair's fair.

Posted by: KK | May 8, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. But they have no friends, no way of interacting with humanity, so they post ignorant comments thinking they are funny.

Sad

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read HB's article on GG's Defense this past weekend. I am sold.......

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The peoples agaist JLac have had enough. Its time for the local paper to start being true to thier hometown team. Tommorrow 500 protest post will open your eyes. Mr Ahole, I have a feeling you are with us but you are a day too early.

Posted by: Followers of ART | May 8, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Follower, you misspelled "their." Just sayin that if you are gonna post such Apocalyptic messages maybe you should take an extra minute to make sure it's right. Are the 500 protest posts going to contain many grammatical errors or should I just stay home tomorrow?

And maybe you shouldn't be such a follower.

Posted by: WrongDog | May 8, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Follower; and that is just what you are, Jla's blog is the #1 sports blog (#2 overall) on WAPO. We got 50,000 posts from end of season to draft day.

Bring your measley 500... we will crush you.

Posted by: PDSquared | May 8, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry reporting for ES/RI Blog wars round 3...

Posted by: chris larry | May 8, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This is really getting rather silly

Posted by: oc skins | May 8, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Art gets paid as an employee of ExtremeSkins.com to support the Redskins. What else would he do but sing the party line?

Dan Snyder doesn't own the Washington Post. The Post is an independent news organization that prints a variety of views of its own choosing.. I guess that concept is a bit too difficult for you to understand.

Don't waste your time here - move on back to your little circle jerk at ES. You'll feel so much better. Loser.

Posted by: TT | May 8, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

F ES

F DS

F ART

Posted by: Funny Acronym Guy | May 8, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that my Dad can beat up MR Ahole's Dad!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: oc skins | May 8, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be f@#$ing kidding me. Wake me up when the skins do something of note or training camp arrives. Whichever comes first.

Posted by: skinswest | May 8, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You guys let the idiots kill the blog...Just ignore 'em and they will go away

Posted by: OC Skins | May 8, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Lets start over from this point

1st!

Posted by: Mo in CLE | May 6, 2007 07:41 PM

"If dolla bill isn't full-go for Week 1."

Uh, is this a hypothetical thing, or is there still concern about CP's health?

I would have hoped he would be 100% or darn close to it by now...

Posted by: SantanaClaus89 | May 6, 2007 07:45 PM

Jason,

How did the rookies look? Any pleasant surprises?

Posted by: KK | May 6, 2007 07:54 PM

A positive post from you JLC. Good work my friend.

Posted by: jm220 | May 6, 2007 08:22 PM

Thanks to whoever announced the new post.

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | May 6, 2007 08:23 PM

The Skins are making some pretty nice moves. I hope they continue upgrading the D-Line.

Posted by: OC Skins | May 8, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This blog needs an injection of Epinephrine

Posted by: Tustin Skins | May 8, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

OC Skins, we could also go back even further:

The Beginning - An Ode To Spandex

Hello Redskins Nation. Glad to be among you. This is my first blog entry on Washington's favorite team, so forgive me if it goes astray. I woke up this morning and couldn't believe training camp was underway. Just wanted to welcome you all to my little cranny in internet land, and invite you all to participate. I had a blast doing a daily blog during the World Cup in Germany, and look forward to connecting with as many readers as possible on this Skins blog, too (and if my new soccer friends want to chime in as well and talk some futbol from time to time as well, far be it for me to stop them).

I thought I'd give my philosophy on this thingy as we get started. Basically, I want to have some fun, hopefully entertain some people and start a dialogue about whatever interests you. I like to deal with the many strange and offbeat things that happen covering this team, but if there are days when you want hardcore X's and O's, by all means send in a comment and let me know. I figure we do a lot of that already in our non-bloggy coverage of the team, but I am game for whatever. I'm kind of looking at this as an extension of the web chats I do, and, since I've really been given no parameters or restrictions from management thus far on this blog (what were you guys thinking?), I'm sticking with that ethos until told otherwise. Ah, sweet freedom.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | May 8, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Here Here Nate...Good call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: OC Skins | May 8, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

new thread

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

There is one? or you want one?

Posted by: OC Skins | May 8, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

There seems to be a lot of negativity today. It keeps us regular lurkers irregular posters from posting.

Training camp is too far away.

Posted by: the don | May 8, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

On Gibbs having a "woody" for Brunell. Hmmmm, just as I predicted he drafted a QB. Now why would he do that? Gibbs biggest "woody" was for Theismann. It took a crushed leg and $1,000,000 pay off from Lloyds of London to get him out for Schreoder.

To J LC and any other Gibbs doubters. Lets see what happens at QB. What will you say when Jason Campbell turns out to be better than Eli Manning. And who will you credit? In today's NFL you can't rely on just one QB. Gibbs knows that. He isn't relying on Brunell. He would've kept Ramsey. But the guy flaked on him just like Schroeder.

In the past Gibbs never spent much time with the defense. Never had to with Richie Petitbone. All-Pro safety and respected defensive coordinator. He was tough but look at how he played?

Now Gibbs must start managing the defense.

Either way you look at it the teams is better because of Gibbs. Look at the chaos that reigned before he came?

On trading Betts or Portis. If it happens it almost has to be Portis. And yeah Miami actually would make sense for Portis since that is where he likes to hang his hat. If they got Culpepper and a receiver it would be a huge win. Usually Gibbs does not trade RBs like Portis. Only when they become involved with drugs ala Joe Washington and Charley Brown.

Betts, McIntosh, and Jansen are 2nd round picks that have made the teams and need to excel. They aren't going anywhere.

Posted by: Periculum | May 8, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a long summer ...

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | May 8, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What's more boring. A Redskin Insider with no inside info or bloggers who reply with inane jibber jabber. This ain't a personal blog. It's a WP blog on the WP website about Redskin's inside info. Boring job, bro. Maybe you should open up a family scrapbook biz so you can tear up over family memories with the rest of the girls.

Posted by: Gnome | May 8, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

People still defending Joe Gibbs as a good GM huh?

wow.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | May 8, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

How important is the defensive backfield?
How important is the safety position with
the right system?

DB Jack Tatum
DB Skip Thomas
DB Butch Atkinson
DB Neal Colzie
DB Charlie Phillips
DB Mike Reinfeldt

Where's the pass rush here?

DE/DT John Matuszak
DT/DE Herb McMath
DE Charles Philyaw
DT Dave Rowe
DT/DE Otis Sistrunk

Posted by: periculum | May 8, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of defensive backs.

Redskins teams featured some of the best defensive backs in NFL history. Including Lamarr Parrish, Kenny Houston, Jake Scott, Darrel Green, Rosey Taylor, Richie Petitbone, Shawn Springs, Champ Bailey. Most were free agents that helped take defenses to the next level and the playoffs.

Rarely have they featured any all-pro sack masters in their prime. Dexter Manley and La Var Arrington. And Arrington was a linebacker.

Posted by: periculum | May 8, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

well, one team won a super bowl without a pass rush, i'm convinced.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | May 8, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think i've ever seen the blog this cranky...

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | May 8, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Lisa hangs around that spot a lot looking for Posties to walk by?

Posted by: charlie | May 8, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I can answer that for you Charlie....I work close to the Washington Post and walk by there every day on my way home. Nothing more than that. I'm always in a hurry and probably would not have even seen Jason if not for stopping for the traffic light.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Nate, You've been on message the entire time! Who knew?!?

Posted by: cload and daggar | May 8, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey fella's, anyone down for some happy hour? I was thinking a couple of draft beers and maybe some chicken wings and potato skins. Perhaps in about 45 minutes, let me know who is in.

Posted by: JJ | May 8, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Panties! I feel better lol

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

sniffin panties?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone watch Sports Nite?

They had a report on OTAs: Most everyone showed up for the "non-mandatory" OTAs. Moss, Portis, Campbell, Smoot, Randy Thomas, etc. Comcast interviewed both Portis and Moss who said they were really thankful for having the time off. Portis indicated he is on schedule.

Noticable no shows: Shawn Springs & Sean Taylor - Comcast indicated the Reaper's no show may have something to do with his contract - horrors!

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Is it tax time or something over there? Everyone seems to be on the angry pills!

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I was just kidding - but thanks for responding anyway.

Posted by: charlie | May 8, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Damn Reaper!

Posted by: jm220 | May 8, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess I can understand Springs being a no show, being trade bait and all, but it's disappointing that the Reaper hasn't shown.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Reaper is not upset about Landry. I think it has to do with his contract....he probably wants a new one especially in light of the projected big contract Landry will get.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

kost52,

Welcome to the anonymity of the web. I am continually amazed that some people like to post the nastiest responses for absolutely no reason at all -or I should say just because they are angry, nasty people who have nothing better to do.

Posted by: charlie | May 8, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - Maybe the Pro-Bowl appearance last year has gotten to his head a little, and he expects to get paid like a Pro-Bowl Safety?

Charlie - I guess there are people like that in the outside world as well, people who thrive on confrontation and are constantly trying to prove their superiority over others, and in doing so, prove exactly the opposite.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

"...and in doing so, prove exactly the opposite."

It's so obvious to everyone except themselves!

Posted by: charlie | May 8, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should work a "Jacked Up" clause into the Reaper's contract. So every time he "Moormans" someone, he gets a bonus!

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Millar, this blog has nothing to do with you anymore.

All of you weirdos who have been hanging out on this blog: I know that it's just one of you and you're a down on your luck unemployed programmer. I would say that I want you to get back to your day job, but I'm sure that's something like lurking on internet chat sites and posing as the opposite sex, so I don't really want you to do that either. Just find something else to entertain you.

As for the Skins, I'm thinking it's Old School who was saying this, but I might be wrong. It's the point about a better offense making the defense better. So true. But I want to bring up a wrinkle that I brought up before. Can anyone remember a Saunders' coached offense that coexisted with a stingy defense? I can't. Can one of you stat folks do some research on that? It's just simple math that scoring quick causes your D to play just as long as they would if your offense went 3 and out. In 2005, we had trouble scoring, but at least we moved the chains and ran the ball 30 plus times a game. It was the kind of ball that wears down the opposing D and keeps our own rested and ready. Saunders brought the 700 page book and used most of the passing plays I think and we were 3 and out all of the time. By the time we started running a bit more, our defense was totally demoralized. And Springs was hurt.

I think we could use another DE and DT, but I don't think we're done without them. The NFC East is wide open again. I'd argue that JC is already better than Eli. I watch more Eli than I would care to and he SUCKS. My brother-in-law has already told me that he thinks JC is better. You heard it here first (even you pervy blog lurker who makes annoying comments) at least 10 wins and playoffs. Later.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | May 8, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

By no means am I a salary cap expert, but Sean Taylor's cap numbers look fairly low for the remainder of his contract. Based on past history with other players, it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to convert what's left into a signing bonus and establish new salary levels which are cap-friendly for a few more years. (Biggest issue is how much of the remaining cap numbers for him are pro-rated bonus amounts.) Taylor would get his bonus dollars right away (which would make him happy again) and the bonus would be spread over the length of the contract. An $18 million bonus spread over 6 years plus low salaries in years 1 & 2 could guarantee him something around $21 million guaranteed in the first 2 years (signing bonus + salaries + incentives) and $40 million total. That would be similar to the Adalius Thomas contract with the Patriots. The numbers might look something like this.

Signing bonus - $18.0 million - paid at signing
Year 1 - $ 650,000 + incentives
Year 2 - 1,650,000 " "
Year 3 - 2,500,000 " "
Year 4 - 3,500,000 " "
Year 5 - 4,500,000 " "
Year 6 - 5,500,000 " "

If SeanTay wouldn't be happy with numbers like these, he probably has a future elsewhere. In any case, the Redskins might be waiting to work out the details of Landry's contract first before reworking Taylor's contract. Based on future escalation of the salary cap, even the later years of this type of contract would be reasonable and might allow room for option bonuses in years 4-6.

Posted by: Otter | May 8, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

nyskins -

I think the new Gibbs/Saunders playbook is going to look a lot more like the old Gibbs 1.0 playbook. The Gibbs offense used to follow a more-or-less set pattern. First series might be the running attack. Second series would switch to a passing attack. As the game went on, there would be several variations, but the premise was maintained - about half the drives started with runs and half started with passes. If run worked better than pass, they would stay with it, but otherwise they would mix it up continually. The end result was the defense would get well-rested about every other drive. With the complexity of Saunders gimmick plays substituting for Gibbs "everyone-in-motion" style, the same effect can be achieved - more first downs, more long drives, more rest for the defense. With the increased number of weapons on offense (since JC can throw downfield), even the same running play again and again from different/multiple sets becomes more effective. Given the element of surprise, the offense should be more successful this year, and that will bode well for the defense as the season goes on.

Posted by: Otter | May 8, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, nice work Otter!

nyskinsfan - You make a good point about Weird Al's offense having an effect on the defense, when he was in KC, the Defense seemed to always be their downfall didn't it.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Where did all of the Assclowns From Space come from? Go back to your apartment with the private entrance in your Mom's basement and leave this blog to the people who enjoy its tangents. If I want to know what brand jockstrap some kid from Hofstra is wearing out at the park, I'll come visit your blog.

I know, ITA, but damn, the regs have got to take this thing back.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | May 8, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and a buddy just went and saw the real "Wierd Al" here in town and said it rocked. I know, surprising, but this comes from a guy who usually is in to Bowie/Peter Gabriel/etc., so it was noteworthy.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | May 8, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

All fears about the DL can now be put to rest.

"Mark it down. This is going to be my best year," said defensive end Demetric Evans, who will see more work as Wynn and Daniels recover. "Everybody has a good feeling about the defense being more aggressive, so I'm ready to just let it fly."

Sean Taylor has not done anything yet to be rewarded with an $18M signing bonus. Get back to DC with the rest of your team and play like an elite safety this year and the money will be sure to come here or elsewhere.

Posted by: cdubb | May 8, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Although Sportsnite speculated that the contract may be why the Reaper is not here, maybe he just had something else going on.....it's not mandatory. I'm just sayin'....

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

sean t needs to earn the money before you extend him. he has the talent but needs to up his game to the next level. big year for him.

nyskins i did and have said that our biggest improvement on defense will be a good offense. gibbs is still in control of the philospy and game plan it will be run based with a modern all over the field many different options passing game. the d philospy and coaching we have are better than any d they had in kc.gibbs will protect leads with the run but no sit on leads ( he likes to score) he will do his best as always to minimize mistakes (penalties and turnovers) things we are already pretty good at.

Posted by: Old School | May 8, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

jm220 et all, i workout in the evenings and i looked up EAS mayoplex (cuz friend of mine took it for awhile and said it was pretty good)thingie and it(some blog) said that it's best if you drink that after a workout.

so is it okay for me to drink this thing at 8/9 o'clock at night and go to sleep two hours after i drink it?

thanks guys for all the tips. i forget why lisa didn't like mayoplex. i rember lisa mentioning it a while back. i'm going to buy both milk thingie and mayoplex.

d7, no worries. i fcuk around most of the time up here but sometimes i get serious. (very very rare occasions) sall good.

btw, anyone watch sopranos? meadow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmm mmm mmmm!

Posted by: dealer | May 8, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, maybe you're right, not sure, but didn't he miss the OTA's last year as well, simply because he didn't have to be there?

You're right cdubb and Old School, he needs to have a big year this year, sure he made the Pro-bowl but that was more because of his reputation for big hits, rather than the quality of his overall play.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

They should extend Sean Taylors contract not elsewhere bi=ut here woth the washington Redskins

Posted by: Alexander | May 8, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

kost - Taylor was here for the offseason stuff last year. Two years ago he didn't show up or return Gibbs messages and then had the gun charge. He needs to have his best year if the D is to get back into that top 10 status. Maybe not being here doesn't have anything to do with his contract. But he really doesn't have any leverage being only 3 years in on a 7 year deal.

Posted by: cdubb | May 8, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

cdubb, that's right I remember now, the year after the gun charges he was a good little soldier and attended everything didn't he. Let's hope that it doesn't have anything to do with contract, it'd be nice to know that everyone is on the same page.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Taylor is doing community service as part of his plea agreement.

Posted by: Grinning | May 8, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Went down to Yellowstone Park last weekend. Watched a grizzly bear chase a buffalo down the highway! Craziest thing I ever saw; it was like a Road Runner cartoon! I was heading into the trees to "use the forest" and they both came charging out about 30 yards to my right and on to the highway. They even managed to stay in the correct lane. I didn't need to use the forest anymore, but the extra pants I brought sure came in handy...

Posted by: Montana'Skins Fan | May 8, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, I do like Myoplex - I think jm220 mentioned something he likes better. Myoplex has more grams of protein than most of shakes by my calculation. However, a co-worker turned me on to Muscle Milk so I drink that most of the time.

jm220's suggestions are far superior to mine as he has the muscles to prove it.

Posted by: Lisa | May 8, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Watching NFL Network. Why would McNabb be surprised the Eagles drafted a QB. Ask him why they drafted that QB at that position. With apologies to Adam and Gonzo, I think McNabb is pretty much done.

While I'm on an NFL Network update, anybody see the Quincy Carter piece? Yikes, the guy is playing in Arena League D-2 for $200 a game. He still can't answer a question to save his life. That guy wore The Star? I don't think anything the Skins could do could top that move.

Posted by: SMACK | May 8, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

SMACK - I'm not so sure, KC Joyner from ESPN, the science guy who analyses the 'metrics' of the game, says that before he was injured last year McNabb was the highest rated passer, even better than Brady and Manning.

Posted by: kost52 | May 8, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

New post! geuss who's 1st??

Posted by: ES | May 8, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Montana, that's AWESOME! I was in Yellowstone in July as part of a cross-country jaunt and could have used the bison grazing right next to my car as a drink holder, he was so close. He didn't sneak up on me, however, so I didn't need a change of clothes . . .

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 8, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I have two kids, my brother has none. We both read the blog regulary and he cracks up about Chloe stories more than me... keep'em coming Jason.

Chloe stories are better than up to the minute Portis injury status reports. Like my man quoting Wilbon says... "It's May!"

5 Guys rule!

Anyone organizing a Blog Tailgate Outting at Fed Ex this season... let me know!

Posted by: Mike D | May 8, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I must be no fun at all. The title of the blog is "Redskins Insider", not "New Dad Insider" or "Baltimore/Boston Insider". I come back on occasion to see what's new, but I see nothing's really changed. That and the constant negative tone about the Redskins makes this a blog I think I'll stay away from for awhile.

Posted by: Mike Diamond | May 9, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Sounds good, Mike!

Posted by: stevie in ct | May 9, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I am so glad that the season is that predictable. I guess we won't have to watch this season since it's all figured out for us.

Blah, blah, blah.

What a downer of a post.

Personally the guest blogger lost me with this statement..."Any good GM would have seen that Dockery had started for us from day 1 of his career and that agile, young, durable, 335- pound linemen don't grow on trees and would have re-signed him before last season to a good extension for a reasonable figure."

Dockery was adequate at best. And we NEVER should have come close to the offer that he was given. Any good GM would know that. He was grossly overpaid. The Redskins offered him a good deal. He decided to go for the money. Good for the FO for showing him the door.

Yet, the team that signed him wasnt raked over the coals as the Redskins are quite often for overspending.

I see alot of positives this off season and heading in to the 2007 season. Patience and clearer heads seem to have prevailed at Redskins park.

I believe in Gibbs and what he is doing. Have they made mistakes? Sure. What team hasn't? It is the NFL.

For those of you that think they suck and the front office sucks and the players suck, go root for another team.

Most of us have been through the highs and the lows with this team. I would prefer to be optimistic.

Portis, Cooley, Campbell, Selelrs, Randle El, Lloyd, the O line, the same system, the addition of Landry, Fletcher , Smoot, and others are all positives.

Also, didnt we just go to the playoffs two seasons ago? I am so sick of people forgetting that. We aren't that removed from that. At that point everyone was all exicted saying "all we need is a good #2." And now we suck.

Give me a break.

I tend to think that the 2006 year was the fluke. What could go wrong did go wrong.

If you strongly believe that the MAJOR losses of Springs, Portis, Preiloiu and others werent substantial and didnt effect the team drastically, then you are mistaken.

I dont care who you are in the NFL. You lose your startng running back, safety and corner your in for trouble. No team can withstand that in the age of a salary cap.

So, lets see how we are healthy. I think then and only then we can really see how good or bad we are.

Let's start from that and work our way up instead of down.

Go Skins!