Kudos To The Skins

If what I am hearing from some agents - who are not directly involved in the negotiations - is true, then Leonard Davis is about to pocket close to $20 million guarnated of Jerry Jones's money, and the Skins have shown some welcome restraint.

This dude is a classic trap. Yeah, he's big and atheltic, but he also has a six-year body of work that shows he is exactly what he is. He was a big-time underachiver, but could always do just enough to make some scouts think, maybe, just maybe, if the work ethic improved the intensity cranked up he could be a beast. But he had serious warts and giving this guy Hutchinson/Dockery/Steinbach money - never thought I'd write this sentence - is way too dangerous.

If The Snyder and Coach Joe would have actually paid this dude I know several people at Redskins Park would have given up and thrown themselves off the roof.

The Cowboys were his primary suitors all along - many at The Park never figured he'd leave there without a contract in the first place - and after the Dockery signing came through, Davis's price went up. Dallas balked at first, so he jumped a plane to Ashburn, but I never got the feeling the Skins were going all out in any way to keep him. If anything I think they were finally on the receiving end of some gamesmanship, driving the price up and making Jerry nervous, rather in years past when other teams and agents used them as pawns to get the Redsking to essentially bid against themselves for certain free agents.

I also don't blame the Skins for holding the line on Dockery. At the end of the day we're still talking about a solid but unspectacular GUARD who had a strong 2006 season but also his share of struggles before that. Don't get me wrong, Dock could be the complete package and maybe his offseason dedication in 2006 is a sign of things to come, but still, for that kind of money? I can't see it. You're giving guards who never have shown a Pro Bowl pedigree more money than a lot of left tackles make.

So where do the Skins go now? Well, I think you can still get a solid guard on the street. Again,. talk to football people and they will tell you this is the easiest position to replace. You can slide backup centers and tackle often to the position and make the switch. Gaurds get the most help on the offensive line and it's the easiest position to get a starter out of the draft in the mid round in the draft (if the Skins trade down as many in the building hope to, look for them try to pick up a guard in the third round or so).

There were people on the staff who liked Montrae Holland, who signed a $1 million deal in Denver yesterday. Adam Timmerman would know the system from his time with Al Saunders in St. Louis, but many scouts think he's probably done a sa productive player. The sense I get is that there will be no rush here.

They'll also look for a tight end, probably even this week. But I don't see them breaking the bank there either.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 4, 2007; 11:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Skins And Dock Were On Different Planets
Next: Fred Smoot To Wear No. 27

Comments

I can't believe the Skins are being so responsible with the loot this year. Vinny still needs to go, but I'm still proud of how they've made decisions thus far.

Posted by: JustMe | March 4, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I have been waiting 10 years to read this kind of post...SWEET!

Posted by: chris larry | March 4, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

What's the deal with Todd Wade? I think he could easily move inside and play LG. I haven't heard his name bandied about at all in free agency, but he's a UFA.

Posted by: So... | March 4, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

So.. I've blogged about Wade a fair amount. Last I heard was the Skins showed interest but he is deadset on exploring other options - as well he should be - to start elsewhere. And given the money being thrown around I don't blame him one bit.
The Skins not really on his radar now, but you never know down the line. I highly doubt it, but you never know.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 4, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Another great entry; I could not agree more with your assessment.

BTW, is there any truth to the rumor that the Redskins are looking at LaVar Arrington to come back for the vet minimum? I've heard that he's contemplating retirement, so this could just be a one day thing, but I was wondering if you had heard anything about this.

Posted by: BurgundyNGold | March 4, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Good job reporting JLaC....

We couldn't pay Dock all that $$ and nethier could we pay Rick Ross that kind of $$ either. Didn't Rick Ross get cut from the Cardinals? MAn, people are getting PAID IN FULL this offseason. Our players contract's are going to look like osme shabingus in couple of seasons compared to what these other teams are dishing out.........

Posted by: 4th | March 4, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news! Not signing the Tub-O-Goo. Are the 'Skins really learning from past mistakes?

And to all the new posters who don't appear to understand the way contracts and the salary cap work, just ask. Up here, we'll explain our guts out if you come correct.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 4, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are as happy about not scoring touchdowns as you are about not signing players. What are the Cowboys supposed to do, not spend the money that is just sitting there on the table? Get a guy off the street? Yeah that's what you wanna do.

Posted by: SMACK | March 4, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

To read fans & writers in Washington talk about overpaying is a joke!!Its a matter of getting the players you want,Saying Fletch is a good signing(none of you have watch play)& Davis is a bad sign(also none including jason has followed)is a sign your team is in CAP HELL & cant spend the money the way they usually do!Excuses Excuses Excuses Excuses

Posted by: Cap Hell Sucks | March 4, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Redskins do great in the offseason,Its the Regular season they SUCK at!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Never said Fletcher was a great signing, only time will tell. There have to be concenrs about his age at that position, but at least they know the kind of competitor, leader and person they are getting. That can't be said of Davis and actually they never thought they would sign him, anyway. All along the word in the building was he was going to Dallas, as I have previously written.

As for LaVar stuff, I posted a comment about this last night, but the rumors I have heard from players and NFL people is that he is seriously considering retirement. Like I wrote last night, Howard and I will be checking around on it today now that the free agency stuff has slowed down.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 4, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

yep! i agree with everything you said on this post jason. they're done though right until draft day? all the big names are gone? phew!

i did find it amusing that JC was the "go to" skins liason for these FA players. good for him and for his and our sake i hope he has a great year to back up this confidence!

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

But I am curious... is there any cap room left for '07 given the deals we've signed so far and the draft picks we anticipate? Does the front office have room for one more good pickup?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | March 4, 2007 11:53 AM

From the last thread. Nate- They should still have a couple million free right now from the restructurings and extensions they completed the last few days, plus when they cut John Hall (can't believe they haven't yet!), it'll free up another $1.5 mil for '07, and they can still cut Wynn, which would free up another $2.5 mil.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

You have been on the top of your game this pre-season. Your blog keeps getting better and better.

And I keep getting less and less work done!

I have a hunch that Shawn Springs is going to stay a Redskin. What are you thinking?

Speaking of Shawn Springs, any7 further word on how his father is doing?

You have admire a guy like Everson Walls, even if he was a Cow---.

Posted by: fineline | March 4, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

JLC- your blog has been THE spot for the latest skins news the last few days. Thanks for doing such a great job.

Posted by: WrongDog | March 4, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Skins for their self-restraint and to JLC for bringing it all to us via his awesome blog. Leonard Davis is exactly the kind of player that Snyder 1.0 would have drooled over.

It would be nice to trade down for a pick that could become a starting guard, but Gaines Adams at #6 would be awfully nice.

Posted by: Joe the Fan | March 4, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

JLC - What are the chances of that Tight End the Skins are looking for being a resigning of Todd Yoder?

Posted by: Yoderfan | March 4, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Jason but Snyder didnt have his jet pick up Davis in Dallas to not sign him! The price was too steep and they couldnt afford and that is what really happened!The thinking that it was to drive the price up is nonsense!

Posted by: Sorry Jason | March 4, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The reason money isnt being thrown around is because they cant, not because they dont want too!!

Posted by: Cap Hell Sucks | March 4, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Davis is a beast & at HALF speed Hes better then most at FULL!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 4, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

As soon as Dockery signed the market was set. If the Skins were dead set on Davis, trust me, it would have been done last night. Dallas was the team in hottest pursuit of him through the whole thing, and when Davis actually got on the plane Friday night, people in this building were surprised.

Trust me, I ain't spinning this thing to make anyone look good or bad, respectively, and who knows, maybe he's a player for the Cowboys. I'm just telling you guys the facts.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | March 4, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Great work as always JLC. Keep up the good work my friend. What time is Smoot PC?

CL that was me on the last post trying to bait. Damn it didn't work.

Posted by: jm220 | March 4, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

*out of breath* *beep* *beep* new post!

Posted by: dealer | March 4, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The fact tyher skins are showing restraint is good even if its been forced upon them by their cap.situation. Patience with arch and lloyd may also pay divdends.

Some smart picks on draft day (Hope) and maybe a couple bargin Fa's after june cuts, and I already have the feeling we will be an improved team moving in the right direction, something to really get behind not just blind burgandy and gold fever.

Posted by: Old School | March 4, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I applaud your honest assessment. Too often nowadays the media only focus on the negative and ignore any positive. I don't mind people criticizing (if they are using accurate facts to back it up) as long as they are willing to give praise out when it is warranted.

Great job JLC!

Posted by: Jason | March 4, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure the Skins didn't hire a GM???

As far as Springs goes, I see it from both perspectives. Take a pay cut because you're on the downside of your career and you're injury prone. On the other hand, money is all over the place...so why take a pay cut? I still think Springs has two good seasons left. The Redskins are right in ot making a hasty decision.

The talk of Betts being traded worries me. Unless we can get a proven player or two mid round picks, I'd say no. I'd trade Springs before Betts.

Posted by: sicwidit | March 4, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff, Jason. It is much appreciated for long-time DCer's like myself who no longer live in the area who find it hard to find REAL Skins news outside of the Post and Times, without hearing the brainless ESPN types blather on and on and show their hate for the Skins non-stop. A pox on them.

As for FA, it is good to see that Boy Owner finally found himself backed into in a corner after 7 years of totally irresponsible spending and signing questionable talent. Amazing what a diet can do. Snyder himself would have made a great Congressman, what with the way he loves to spray money around. Though, at least it was his $$ he was throwing around.

However, it is still good to see the Skins forced to play the hand they dealt themselves. Maybe now they can actually do something positive going forward, as they should have done after 2001, when Marty had the team headed in the right direction. Only time will tell.

(Speaking of no-longer-in-DCers, I still need to hookup sometime with Joe in Raleigh since I am but two blocks from the "Official" Redskins bar here and I think Joe lives pretty nearby)

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | March 5, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse