In LaFleur, Redskins have coach whose specialty is passing

With three coaches under the age of 35, Mike Shanahan's offensive coaching staff will be significantly younger than the one that preceded it.

One of the most intriguing hires was quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur, who followed offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan from Houston and was relatively unknown outside the Texans' organization. LaFleur was previously an offensive assistant and comes to Washington with rave reviews from Gary Kubiak, the Texans' head coach who expects LaFleur to greatly aid Kyle Shanahan.

"I think every coordinator needs a right-hand guy, from a quarterbacks standpoint, to be with him. He'll do a great job," Kubiak said. "He's just getting started. He's a very bright young man. To be honest with you, he's a lot like Kyle was four or five years ago."

The Texans hired LaFleur in 2008 on the recommendation of his good friend Robert Saleh, the Texans' assistant linebackers coach. LaFleur had previously held offensive coaching positions at Ashland University, Northern Michigan, Central Michigan and Saginaw Valley State.

"Basically, Kyle and I gained so much confidence in him, we had him do a lot of work with our quarterbacks," said Kubiak. "He just grew on us, kept doing a great job. Our quarterbacks gained a lot of confidence in him. His specialty was working with our backup quarterbacks, our second and third. And he just did a hell of a job."

Though both Mike and Kyle Shanahan are expected to work intimately with the Redskins' quarterbacks this season, it will be LaFleur who's technically in charge of Jason Campbell (assuming he returns for one more season, as many around the league expect) and possibly a rookie up-and-comer (assuming the Redskins draft a quarterback, which again, many around the league expect).

The burgundy-and-gold-and-black

Would you add black to the Redskins' uniforms? Really? Dan Steinberg at the D.C. Sports Bog has the lowdown on the non-issue. Still fun to debate in late January, though. ... Bruce Allen wants you ... to buy Redskins tickets. See Steinberg for the video at the Bog.

By Rick Maese  |  January 29, 2010; 6:40 AM ET
Categories:  Kyle Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tebow's confident his show will play in NFL
Next: Where will Haynesworth fit in Haslett's defense?

Comments

FIRST to say I'm a fan of a younger coaching staff with an emphasis on improving the pass!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Wow, did anyone else see this proposed new Skins uniform from a few years back on the bog? Thank all things holy this never happened...these threads look like NFL Europe unis:

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Brown.

Sadly they are better than the uniforms that the NFL has put in the league of late.

Vikings, ATL, AZ and Cinci, make me want to vomit.

The other bog on old skins uniforms was more interesting.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

And in Campbell, the Redskins have a quarterback whose specialty is failure. Something's gotta give...

Posted by: Vic1 | January 29, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I would love a change to the uniform it's old and tired looking.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Alex, Cincy's unis are far and away the ugliest in all of sports. The designer should be shot. The Vikes, Falcons, and Cards unis aren't terrible, but they are right on par with the Skins proposed unis.

I will continue to stump for a return to the throwbacks with the spear helmet and gold pants. Those things are a thing of beauty.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

What the hell is up with this talk of uniform changes? KEEP THE COLORS AND LOOK THE WAY IT IS! Just focus on winning more games. We have a distinguished tradition and instant recognizable look, no need to change it. Just like Dallas, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc.

Posted by: clark202 | January 29, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Getting younger all around is a good thing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

i wouldn't mind seeing a new uniform and possibly a new logo like the spear...something similar to the 70th anniversary unis would be nice

the florida state black uniforms look sleek and if we did go to a black uniform, thats how id like ours to look

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 29, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Definitely looks like they elder is grooming the younger to take over the reigns when he's gone.

Have we had a father son procession in coarching before?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Love the Cincy helmet, tho. Nothing like it in sports, which makes it kinda cool.

I wouldn't object to a logo change phasing out the Chief, and I definitely agree that the arrowhead uni's are the best of the best.

I remember they were included in Madden '03 or something and I couldn't play anyone else because those uni's were so dam awsome

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

strange how many liberals think nothing of all the infants being aborted, but howl louder than a stuck pig when a death-row inmate is put to death.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 28, 2010 6:49 PM

It is strange. What's even stranger is that a scholar like you thinks people abort infants.

Posted by: mack1 | January 28, 2010 10:51 PM |

Funny stuff mack. I love games with semantics and you hit that one dead on. I hope he meant fetuses? Feti? Anyway, don't kill animals either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:03 AM

Unless you're still playing on PS2, the spear-helmet throwbacks are on Madden '10 too. And the gold helmet unis from a couple years ago. And the reeeeaaaly old throwbacks from the '94 season.

But I wouldn't change our logo unless a court makes us change it. That's the most beautiful logo in sports, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Don't kill animals?! Why? what do you have against vegetables that you want to see THEM dead?! Veggies have feelings, too, y'know?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Madden '03 was the pinnacle, I think.

'04 had a tackling problem, especially against Mike Vick

'05 had the crazy LBs that would intercept everything within 10 feet

'06 broke Madden with the vision stick and then the next gen versions mysteriously made hot routes and shifts almost unusable.

So I stopped playing, but glad to hear the unis are still there. I didn't remember they were in the later games.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Matt, this would be the time to come back since they eliminated many of those problems on the PS3 version. Gameplay is much simpler, the graphics and animations are stunningly brilliant, and there aren't nearly as many glitches are there used to be. The only glitch I've had to deal with is the CPU tends to call holding a lot on field goals, but other than that Madden '10 is the best version of the game to date.

**End video game review**

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

"I would love a change to the uniform it's old and tired looking."

I'd take either the Miami Hurricane, VaTech, or Denver Bronco design, and sling some burgandy 'n gold on it.

Then have the team break out the 'classic' redskin uni's for the final game.

There's a lot of sales in that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

'09 is excellent. It drops QB vision and the running game is actually manageable. And I actually really enjoy the hot-calls you can make. Once you get the hang, it's like you're Peyton! hehe.

I also like the game w/ ST on it('07?). Nice to still see him play, though I haven't thrown it in for a while.

I didn't buy '10 'cause the demo was so terrible. Anyone else get completely thrown off on the latest version?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

The spear helmet looks stupid and college. That was the worst season when we played with those ugly uniforms with the spears on them. Indianhead or yellow "R", and nothing else. Stop the obsession with trying to change/fix something that's not broken.

Posted by: Section104 | January 29, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 28, 2010 6:49 PM

Posted by: mack1 | January 28, 2010 10:51 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:09 AM |

I'm against feeling a certain way on an issue because of a party belief, I look at each individual issue and decide how to feel about it.

I'm pro-choice for one main reason, none of the pro-life people are doing anything to help these women support there babies once they have it. So if a women feels she can't support or take care of a baby the right way, then she should have a choice to abort it if she wants to.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so brownie endorses. mebbe I should give it a shot... anyone else?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:31 AM

Not sure what you're talking about...IMO, the '10 version pummels the '09 version in just about every way. But I'm a big franchise mode player, so many of the upgrades came there but I also think the gameplay and presentation are far better than '09's was.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"Last season, Matt Schaub led the league with 4,770 passing yards and 396 completions. The Texans' offense was ranked first in passing (4,654 yards)."

Some teams are so lucky.

The falcons can draft a Vick, trade away a Schaub, and then replace him with M Ryan without missing a step.

The texans can draft a D Carr, watch him bomb, and replace him with M Schaub, and find a new step.

And during all this time, the redskins are watching JC while wondering when the light will come on.

Or: when will we get lucky and have some great offense again?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | January 29, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

Apparently you didn't get to watch any of the games from the past season, you would no doubt be pining for the good ol' days of mediocrity under Spurrier as opposed to the putrid stench under Zorn.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | January 29, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The Green Bay Packskins helmet is an abomination to all things manly. It looks like a giant block of cheese. I'd rather have the Florida State Redskinoles helmet. A spear is much more manly than a block of cheese. I mean what are we a bunch of French guys? I don't think so. We're men. Manly men from America. You can take those cheese helmets back to France you unpatriotic bastards. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No, men, real men stayed and fought and they did it without giant blocks of cheese on their heads.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:39 AM |

For real, if they win I don't care if they play in pink pajamas.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

My cousin had 10 for the Xbox, it was good play overall once you get used to the non-Sony controls. What I liked about it was that you could take a team pick any combo of pants jerseys and helmets from what the teams currently use. I ended up setting up the skins with the 70th aniv jersey and pants with the current helmet. To me that would be the best design the skins could use.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I also forgot I boycotted Madden because EA sports made that exclusive rights deal that killed 2K series.

I always preferred Madden anyway, but then as soon as they didn't have to compete, they put out a crap product.

And that doesn't sit well in these parts

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Some teams are so lucky.

Or: when will we get lucky and have some great offense again?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 8:37 AM

Dude, it's cyclical...we had Sonny AND Billy Kilmer at the same time. We had probably the single best all-around player in NFL history at QB in Sammy Baugh about 40 years before that. The Bears haven't had a franchise QB in about 50 years and the Niners had 3 in a row (Montana, Young, and Garcia). There's no rhyme or reason to it, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Shuttle, Im glad you picked up on the sarcasm. I love dead animals. They are yummy! Flounder, all or nothing statements are rarely true. In fact you are wrong. My old boss volunteers at a family planning/ right to life organization and they do much to support these people including providing healthcare, food, clothing, job counseling/placement and childcare. They do a lot less of it now that the libs gutted their budget. So much for social programs huh?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, the hubris of the Spurrilous One was pretty bad. I will regard both dark periods equally.

Hail Shanny!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

flound, agreed, winning, and thats all that matters to me....I like this Lafleur cat, hope he can make marked improvements in JC...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to support new uniforms when the end product needs so much work.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I want a complete uniform overhaul. Our unis are too '70s for my taste. It would also be cool to go to maroon & black the year after Zorn leaves.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Ok, timeout. Let's leave the abortion crap for yesterday. It's a Friday, and I am killing time between optimization runs of my simulation software, so lets just enjoy ourselves and leave Tim Tebow in the annals of the 'Non-RI-Material-But-JR-Couldn't-Think-Of-Anything' Category and move on.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Or: when will we get lucky and have some great offense again?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, David Carr is the current holder of the NFL single season sack record.

The Texans drafted 2 offensive tackles the year before they got Matt Schaub. They drafted a tackle and a guard the year they got Schuab. Then they drafted a first round left tackle and a running back the year after they got Schaub.

I wonder how much of this was luck.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 8:45 AM

Exactly right, Alex...only the combo I love is the '07 throwback uni, but I switch the yellow helmet for the burgundy spear helmet or the default helmet. It's a beautiful thing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

"I find it hard to support new uniforms when the end product needs so much work."

That's why UPS uniforms are brown.

It encourages hard work and also matches the color of most people's end product.

Without the smell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Alrighty Mattsound, back to unis then. New unis right now would be like putting lipstick on a pig. Don't we have some variation of this convo every offseason?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

And that doesn't sit well in these parts

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, the NFL was facing a suit recently about the exclusive rights to the uniforms with reebock. I hope that if that exclusivity ruling gets done and we see the same ruling applied to the sports games as well. Because Madden was great early on. And there are other small companies I remember were making amazing gaming systems. I saw one where they had re-designed the players so that every single body part would move uniquely on hits and as a result they claimed you will never see 2 hits look the same, saw the demo of the system, amazing stuff, better than anything EA ever did.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I disagree. When you look good you feel good and when you feel good you play good.

-Slim Goodbody*

This franchise needs a makeover and that includes uniforms.

*I may have made that up.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Yes its typical off season convo. But go ahead if you want to go back to the Campbell debate for the 1,000,000,000,000,000th time we can. If you want to say our O-Line sucks again we can.

There are only 53 palyers on the team, discussion of them gets tired.

NOTHING WRONG WITH TALKING UNIFORMS, STADIUMS.

Its Jibba jabba RI was built on it before a bunch of A-holes came around and ruined it.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

yeh, the EA/Sony licensing killed the 2K series, which imho was a better product initially anyway.

original 2K on a dreamcast was amazing. you could play on a dial-up connection with little more lag than you get now on a fios! amazing.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Here is the one I was talking about. http://www.backbreakergame.com/

Found out about it a year ago or so. Looks like its gonna come out soon.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I actually like the white on white uniforms. The burgundy on burgundy unis need to die a quick but painful death.

I don't mind subtle tweaks of the uni's here and there, but I think we've been blinded by the atrocities committed by Oregon, Denver, Minnesota, and Carolina. They totally fell for the side swoosh stripe fad and look ridiculous.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

just do what oregon does and come out with different uni's for every game.

Also, don't want to see the skins go with an all-black jersey. But if they do, I wanna see them go with the matte black helmet.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 29, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I liked the old spear throwbacks we wore several years ago... I would like a changed look. Look at Tampa, Jets, Giants etc.. They changed uni's and for whatever reason had a new identity and started winning. Tampa and Giants won a Superbowl not too long after changing. Ravens, that moved from Cleveland won a superbowl.. Coincidence?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | January 29, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or are a lot of dudes not showing up to the Pro Bowl this year?

Maybe the lack of a trip to Hawaii is what has some dudes, like T Brady, thinking, "Naw, don't think so!"

Is the NFL Pro Bowl the best All Star contest?

a. NBA All Star Game (the Slam Dunk competition basically sucks, now)

b. MLB 'Mid Summer' Classic has lost some appeal as the players change leagues like some posters change screen names

c. NHL All Star Game? Well, the outdoor games on a frozen pond in a stadium get more press.

d. Pro Bowl? With it being played in the mid week of the Super Bowl, you miss out on and player who it the championship game (no Brees, Manning, etc. this year)

e. The Summer/Winter Olympics? Yeah, I know. They are not all star contests, but NBC should decide to keep its money and spend it on what people are rally interested in:

More Football!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think Andre Johnson would have been great if Pee Wee Henry had been his coach. Shaub..was already there...he had honed his skills in Atlanta..just needed to play more.

The fact is..neither of those achievements by those players would have happened behind the Redskin O line. No rookie QB will be any good behind the current O line. Teams can always fine a good QB in later rounds..look at Tom Brady..or even not drafted like Romo. Fact, this team needs
a top left tackle..and to basically replace the rest of the line. Williams was out of football, and Levi was a bust on other teams. Neither will be the answer here.

Seems Sam Bradford..shoulder problems and all..could be the pick...remember Arena and his bad knee??? THEY NEED O LINEMEN!!!!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | January 29, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 9:16 AM

Agreed. The burgundy-on-burgundy is such a heinous act that my eyes are suing the Redskins for assault. The white-on-white is OK, but only win '05 when they were wearing white shoes. Wearing all white with black shoes makes it look like you dressed yourself in the dark.

Considering the colors are burgundy and gold, I'd rather see them go back to wearing gold pants. That would be nice.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Here is the one I was talking about. http://www.backbreakergame.com/

Found out about it a year ago or so. Looks like its gonna come out soon.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 9:13 AM |

Alex,

That looks cool but they aren't making it for PC, so I guess I will be SOL just like with Madden.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Coincidence?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | January 29, 2010 9:19 AM

Um, yes.

The Rams won their lone Super Bowl before changing their unis and haven't won a title since. The Steelers have kept the same unis for over 40 years and nobody's won more Super Bowls.

You don't even have to leave D.C. to know change doesn't mean sh*t: the Wizards changed their unis AND name and suck even worse than they did as the Bullets.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 9:16 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 9:22 AM
------------------------------------------
Those burgundy on burgundy outfits are bad luck. They look like pajamas and the Redskins have enver won a game in that uniform.

BTW, I like the gold pants - would like to see them go to the arrowhead on the helmets again as well.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 29, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

You can't deny the fact that the Cardinals are much better since they put a more agrresive bird on their helmets. Before the bird seemed almost indifferent but after the update that bid was downright angry. Kenny Mayne did a special on this a while back.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

yeah, the white on whites remind me of '05 and Sean Taylor, and Clinton Portis TD passes, and Santana Moss doing what Sanatana Moss used to do. *sigh*

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd be ok with gold pants as long as there was no stripe on them. Same with burgundy pants. Just one solid color.

Ideally, my home uni would be Solid Gold Pants with no stripe, Burgundy Jersey with White numbers (no gold outline) and a spear logo on the sleeve (no stripes there either) and a Burgundy helmet with the spear logo.

Road unis would be Solid gold or burgundy pants, white Jerseys with burgundy numbers (again, no outline), spear logo on the sleve, same helmet.

In short, old school.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow - I guess project runway has made it to RI. Can we get Heidi Fleiss w/ an A$$flap goin' here?

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 29, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"THEY NEED O LINEMEN!"

Yes the team does need O linemen.

But how, who, and from where they get them is the issue.

It seems that Shanny's gang finds mid round gems from no name schools to get the guys he's depended upon for blocking.

Again: don't be surprised if the team finds some unpolished 5th and 4th rounders who wind up starting from Day 1.

And they will be guys we've never heard of.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Becareful what you wish for on the changing of the unis. Buffalo "throwbacks" white helment red buffalo looks great, the unis they have now after getting "new unis" a few years ago look horrible. IF anything I say go back to the 70's look (Larry Brown, Ken Houston, Charlie Taylor)

Posted by: ChrisWoody | January 29, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Whoa Alex, it was a simple question. Unbunch the pantaloons. I have no desire to rehash JC and the oline for the millionth time. It's pointless right now anyway. Just made a comment, that's all.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I heard news of TecmoBowl putting a new game out,anyone else

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | January 29, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 9:42 AM

Wow, how depressing is it that we look back on a 10-6 season that finished in a divisional round loss like it was the best of times?

God I hope this Shanahan hire works out...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing wrong with are jersey's
Why bicker about it?

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | January 29, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"His specialty was working with our backup quarterbacks, our second and third. And he just did a hell of a job."

Sooooo, maybe, just maybe, Schaub's success had not a frickin thing to do with LaFlower?

Posted by: stevek20147 | January 29, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't you understand 37 years that's what we do? Bickerers extraordinaire!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 8:34 AM

Thanks for bringing some intelligence to this blog. There's very little of it here.

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 29, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing wrong with are jersey's
Why bicker about it?

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | January 29, 2010 9:55 AM

Our jerseys.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 29, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Dude,
did you really say Pantaloons

Sweet!

I love the Bills white helmet look, though I will be honest and say I don't think the new uniforms are terrible, they only look bad when the bills use them with blue pants and a blue jersey.

I also am in a minority that likes the Chargers new uniforms, that was one of the better changes of late.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

who are the four redskins offensive assts. under the age of 35? Shanahan, LaFleur, McKay.......? Who's #4? McCardell is 40, am a I missing someone?

Posted by: shanafan | January 29, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 8:34 AM

What a bore it is thinking about all these hard "issues." Wouldn't it be easier to just let MoveOn.org or the Wall Street Journal work it out for me?

Posted by: League-Source | January 29, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

the uniform issue would best be solved to me, by combining things, for example, use the spear, but have the spear being carried by the agressive bird from the cardinals helmet, who is riding on an agressive buffalo, from the bills helmet....problem solved...look for PFT to have something along these lines shortly...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Zorn may have been prescient when he referred to the Maroon and Black.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | January 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Do you mean McKay or McVey?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | January 29, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

These uniforms are uglier than home made sin.

Posted by: chopin224 | January 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 9:42 AM

God I hope this Shanahan hire works out...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Just sayin man, it was a lot better than the complete disaster that has ensued since.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

We ought to go Penn St. All white with a gold stripe and miners with burgundy numbers on the helmet. Nah maybe not...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"With the Texans, LaFleur worked with receivers in his first year. Andre Johnson led the league with 115 catches and 1,575 receiving yards that season, and in Year 2, Kubiak decided to to put LaFleur with the quarterbacks. Last season, Matt Schaub led the league with 4,770 passing yards and 396 completions. The Texans' offense was ranked first in passing (4,654 yards)."

So can that magic be recaptured in D.C. in my life-time (which I count quite differently after extended health issues having clouded my horizon)? I certainly hope so. All the more reason to take a minimum of three top notch o-linemen in this free-agency/draft season. Four are needed. OKUNG or CAMPBELL at LT in the first at #4, IUPUTI at #37 in the second, maybe CIRON BLACK for RT in the fourth, and MIKE OLSON C in the fifth would be nice out of the draft. TERRELL WHITEHEAD FS in the seventh. ED WANG OT and MATT McCRACKEN OG in undrafted free-agency.

Burning almost all your choices on o-line is dangerous however. Short-sighted.

We need at least one top o-line player from free-agency to give our draft more flexibility. We need more picks to do that.

PORTIS for a third would help. HAYNESWORTH for two picks this year would really help especially an extra first. But then he has to be replaced with a DAN WILLIAMS-type from the draft or free-agency.

Trading down with OAKLAND and/or SAN FRANCISCO for extra second and third picks would help. We've got options, but we've got to get out of this box VINNIE put us in.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1

Should have called them fetuses, but by all means keep your head in the sand mack, remain blissfully unaware. it suits you. wrong word choice by me, missing the point by you

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 29, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

_____
Sounds like he spent a lot of time with Sage Rosenfels.. A thought if Skins are looking for a short term QB until the QB of the future is ready. With his history of LOSING Campbell has to go to another team. I do hope he works with Colt Brennan r though.. he is the ONLY QB the Skins have right now with an upside. Also notice LaFleur spent some time in Central Mich. I believe there is a QB coming out this year from Central Mich.. Dan LeFevour. Someone they might look at tf the Skins want to draft a QB later in the draft.. heck they even sound alike.

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see the new era of the Skins. Hopefully positive things will come to DC in the near future. No new colors though. Check out this upbeat article.
DC fans keep your heads up!

Posted by: rdskns1975 | January 29, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

That article actually called them the wowboys. Ha ha ha! It sounds like a bad gay 80's boy band! Tardo

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse
--------------------

As long as there are helmet stickers, I'm good. Have a great game, go grab yourself a helmet sticker, son.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 10:34 AM

Oh, I know Bigfoot...I wasn't debating that at all, for me it just kinda highlights how bad things have been for the last 17 years if we look back at a 10-6 season so fondly. Here's hoping that things get substantially better with a quickness...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

flounder21

"Being liberal on all issues or conservative on all issues is stupid, take each issue and apply your own thought to it."

Flounder, you continue to be the smartest guy in this room.

The Reps and Dems are played out to be opposing teams by rich media types who have the money to live lives where money insulates them from real people endure every day.

And the rich media people would rather play politics as a game when the Nation's outcomes outweight the motives of Right v. Left, who-won, who-lost, and what's wrong with the guy in charge today.

This country really needs a strong independent voice: in the government and in the delivery of news of what it does every day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Now all kidding aside I would love to see the skins have an alternate where they look old school and rip get some college style legit gold pants.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"PORTIS for a third would help. HAYNESWORTH for two picks this year would really help especially an extra first"

with that extra first, and I've said this before, they should draft either Bigfoot, or this just came to me, draft a silverback gorilla. Silverbacks have the strength of like 10 men, so who is gonna block him???

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

If it were up to me I'd go back to the 1959-1964 helmets. Burgundy with the feather acting as the helmet stripe. It's simple and gets rid of the indian head that some people find offensive. The spear helmet is cool too but I always liked this one better:

Posted by: countystyle | January 29, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 10:34 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Haha, yeah I hear you dude. I've got faith in the Bronco-skins. All we do now is wait and debate.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm up for a uni change. I love the tradition but our gear is terrible. Whether it's a hat, shirt, sweatshirt, shorts, t-shirt (minus the gray w/ burg) it's all terrible.

I prefer the 70th anniversary w/ the spear helmet or the yellow helmet with the R.

I also wouldn't mind a move towards the FSU criminoles look.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Can't wait to see the new era of the Skins"

Well, from what they've added so far, we should look like what would happen if the texans mated with the broncos:

A passing team that runs when it has to, and plays solid attacking defense.

I think come the Fall of '11, this new reskins thing might be something to watch.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

If we're going Penn State then their are no numbers, no logos, no helmet stickers, and no names on the jerseys. Remember JoePa's philosophy is that you are a team you are not individuals. The only distinguishing characteristics are the numbers on the jersey and that is because they are required.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

LOL. Silverback is good, but only a short-term answer as his days would be numbered as an effective player.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM

Now you know why I jokingly call my boy glawerence a hick that makes moonshine and celebrates the civil war.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM

I'm with you all the way, trouble is nobody's going to be willing to trade for these overpayed players especially not a 3rd rounder for Portis.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 10:57 AM

Seriously F Penn State. Their coeds make Duke's look attractive.

Double F Duke.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

We should trade a banged up 29 year old running back that has a ridiculous contract nobody would want for 1st and Tom Brady. We should trade an overweight part-time playmaking Dtackle with a ridiculous contract for Andre Johnson and a 1st. We should trade Moss for Calvin Johnson. Send Campbell to Carolina for their entire draft, and then hold a gun to any team with multiple 1st round picks and forced them to trade into the top 5 of an extremely deep draft but with no actually "elite" must have prospects the last year before there is going to be a rookie wage scale. Its that simple, lets do all that and we'll win it all next year!

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Your intelligence swamps flounders for though flounder is right IMO, you offer a viable reason for what transpires in American politics, and a solution to the dilemma of information dissemination.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

trade portis for either a unicorn, or a rhinoceros...have the rhino be the primary ball carrier...who, now tell me WHO is gonna tackle that?? You could sign a rhino for cheap, cheap money....and he could graze at the stadium, and fertilize it as well...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

YES! He's back!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 29, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

Some of you bring it on yourselves.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Would you see to it zjfr2?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and hurry up zjfr2.

Yee-haw diesel.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:06 AM |

That actually made me laugh out loud at work.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

we've got to get out of this box VINNIE put us in.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 10:39 AM

Coach Zorn has done all that he could to get us out of the box. Thanks to him we get to pick early in every round -- or at least the rounds where we get to pick at all.

Posted by: League-Source | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

You forgot about trading Colt Brennan to the Broncos for Ryan Clady and 2 first round draft picks. That's what Shannahan used to do to us! Maybe he can do that to other people now!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

flound, you sigh the rhino, and its like triple dipping....rhino rides during the week, you can eliminate the need for a maintanence crew cutting the grass as the rhino would eat it...you could TOTALLY put one over on the rhino, 'lavar-style' in the wording on the contract, cuz, rhino's can't read....I mean, tell me where it wont work.....not to mention the profit from the rhino jersey sales....

championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

See once again you have it wrong.

Trade Portis for a Mongoose. Now you tell me, who's catching THAT?

As for Hanyesworth just release him and go and sign the assumed infertile panda bear from the D.C. zoo.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM

I'd go with Bigfoot. He's more elusive.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

TRADE BETTS FOR A 2ND ROUNDER!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The portis for champ bailey and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. I would not do that again if given the chance to travel back into time.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and hurry up zjfr2.

Yee-haw diesel.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:11 AM

Talk to the teacher (Cindy Boren) at the end of class. She wants to give you a sticker for sportsmanship. You're always a good sport.

The only problem is that after that you have to talk to the principal (ricky-roge), he wants’ to talk to you about the set of big blue balls hanging from your trailer hitch.

Here’s a pic.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 29, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

red, duh, how is a mongoose going to carry/catch the ball??

you've got to think these things through.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of trades for picks... this just popped into my head yesterday, but the more I think about, the more it seems plausible. Would we trade Laron Landry to the Saints, and if so, what would we take for him?

"Safety" is one of the positions the Saints supposedly will be looking to bolster this offseason, he would be a popular addition with fans in that area, and Gregg Williams is familiar with him and probalby thinks he knows how to get the most out of him.

I'd like to get a 3rd for him...but the Saints 3rd round pick is going to be so low, it will practically be a 4th. Doubt they'd give up their 2nd rounder (which will practically be a 3rd), but it never hurts to ask.

We could then use the pick on a more ball-hawk centerfielder type FS to fill that vacant slot.

Thoughts?

Posted by: PDXskin | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

see now I'm coming around to this Rhino idea, cuts down on the maintenance costs as well gives us a none offensive new mascot option. Imagine if we could get the silverback gorilla as a two way player, DT and lead blocking fullback for the Rhino. Boom Boom Firepower!

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

How about trading Randle El for Collie, Garcon, and a 7th?

If that doesn't work then they can trade him straight up for Reggie Wayne.

Or they can release Randle El and sign Marvin Harrison.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

It seems that these new coaches have lots of potential - now we gotta go get a QB for them to develope. Get Bradford and put him in the spear uniform with white shoes.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

YES!!! Brought up this topic about the BLACK UNIFORMS last summer... I think that it would be great for the franchise! So if anyone in the front office actually reads these comments from the fans, THEN WILL YOU PLEASE ALLOW THE TEAM TO WEAR BLACK UNIFORMS NEXT SEASON???!!!

Posted by: hightek82 | January 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Championship

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 10:51 AM

I'd go with Bigfoot. He's more elusive.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm elusive, strong and quick. On top of that, I scare teh sh*t out of anyone that looks at me. I'm uglier than Terrence Cody's man boobs. Now gimme some Bojangles or I'll throw poo at you. NOW!!!

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

red, duh, how is a mongoose going to carry/catch the ball??

you've got to think these things through.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

How about that little mongoose wears the all new...SHAZAAM!! tailgate companion!!! Tailgate tested tailgate approved!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

red, duh, how is a mongoose going to carry/catch the ball??

you've got to think these things through.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

You're right.

Make it an orangutan.

They have way longer arms, and will provide better QB protection because of this.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Greg, not sure if the Rhino plan works...how would he carry the ball? If you use an elephant, you can spear the ball on one tusk, take out the eye of a defender with the other. Plus, their great memories are perfect for learning the playbook.

Championship...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This is the better link

if you go to the first ones thread, he did every team.

also the new style of our current uni looks good. the last pic on the terl blog

Posted by: Zeebs | January 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Giving up Devin thomas and cris cooley for B MArshall and a 3rd is in the works as we post.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

brown, jc takes the snap from center, and JAMS the ball down onto the rhino's horn....he'll NEVER fumble...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: PDXskin | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | January 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

And we need to go back to gold, not yellow. thats why the first pic on terls blog looks pretty nice. Maybe not so deep maroon, but more burgundy as we currently are.

The 80's burgundy was more candy apple

Posted by: Zeebs | January 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Here's to the LaFleur/LaFever combo leading us back to glory for the next decade!

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I find nothing wrong with the current uniform, but if they want to make a change, here's a suggestion. If the team drops below 500, they must switch to bright pink uniforms until their record improves.

Posted by: SorrySkins | January 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would love a change to the uniform it's old and tired looking.

Posted by: Flounder21

You're right. Let's update the Yankees', the Celtics', the Red Sox, and the Buckingham Guards while we're at it. Because, y'know they're old and tired looking, too. What about spangles? Why not put spinners on the helmets to make the 'skins more hip, hot, 'n' happenin' too.

Not only is this board full of experts on football, abortion, politics, and inside secrets in the lockerroom, we now have our own Shmata specialist.

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark....solid, unselfish player at position of need FS, perfect FA fit and return of "one that got away" player. still has plenty of miles left.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Al Davis needs a QB. Jason Campbell needs a team. Campbell played well against the Raiders this year. Maybe Davis will be willing to trade McFadden for Campbell? McFadden would be a good fit for Shanahan's running game and he'd look good in the spear helmet throwback uniforms.

Posted by: coparker5 | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Regarding those horrible new uniform proposals that Matt Terl posted on the Redskins blog, I find it to be pretty comical that our friend Mr. Zorn almost wasn't wrong with his famous "maroon and black" comment, despite all the grief he took for it at the time.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM

Didn't we say the same thing about Fred Smoot and Derrick Dockery? Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark will turn 31 in the middle of next season.

Unless they're going to to use him as a 1 year stop gap, no thanks... They need to get either younger or more talented at every position -- again. (Yep, stat quo is still the same from 3 years ago)

Besides, I hear that he's asking for a lot of bread.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgarrisn

Have I stumbled onto the Montreal Canadiens board?

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually I am part of a very small group trying to call for a constitutional convention. Its for a very logical reason. We have not updated our form of government in 220 years and there have been a lot of new ideas in how to create a representative government since then.

Me, I like some aspects of a parliamentary system, also think some more direct democracy technology could be implemented at this point.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

no thanks on ryan clark

a name that may be available that I would jump on if I was in charge, Antrel Rolle:

from espn insider rumors:

Ready to Rolle in dough?
8:48AM ET
Antrel Rolle | Cardinals
Top Email

Antrel Rolle emerged as the surefire starter at safety for the Arizona Cardinals, and they'd like to hang onto him given the alternatives on the roster. But there's a problem: Rolle is poised to get a $4 million roster bonus, and an $8.1 million salary for the season on top of that, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. Shockingly, Somers reports that the Cards are not willing to pay that much for Rolle.

There are two likely scenarios: one, Rolle and the Cards will come to a long-term agreement. Two, the Cards release Rolle before his roster bonus is due and hope for the best in free agency and the draft, because none of the other in-house options are suitable heirs to the position.

It'll be interesting to see where Rolle's issue falls on the priority chart with Karlos Dansby and Anquan Boldin.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

brownwood, it might not be saying much but Dock was the best linemen last year, and IMO the offensive MVP.

Smoot has been serviceable since his return here. Not great, but decent.

But Clark? As much as I am a fan of his game (dude delivered two of the most devastating hits I've ever seen) he'll turn 31 later this year.

'Skins need to continue on this youth movement they've been on.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather get a draft pick for JC then getting McFadden. Dude is injury prone and still hasn't taken the reigns as the full time starter in Oakland, so that's not saying much.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I could see the skins trading campbell to 2 teams, Minnesota and Arizona. Both have a late first round pick and just lost a starting QB. I could also see both willing to trade up to the 4th pick to get a QB early this year.

Discuss.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM

But it looks like you've stepped up and filled the vacancy for Grumpy Old Fart. Damn. Beat me to it.

Posted by: League-Source | January 29, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"I'm also pro death penalty, as a matter of fact we do not use it enough in this country.Flounder21"

you better hope they don't make stupidity illegal.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Look at some of the other older Safeties in the league: Ed Reed, Sharper, Dawkins, etc. They're still effective and going strong. Nothing wrong with having a proven veteran in the secondary to make sure things are in order. Clark isn't that old, he could give 3 good yrs of service.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

------------
Unfortunately, PFT just reported that the Cowgirls have signed a hunk of amber with preserved sabre-tooth tiger DNA, and Jerry and Wade are out scouting all the top schools for a blue-chip geneticist/cloning expert.

Posted by: closer44 | January 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 11:39 AM

FS position is about insticts and field presence. Nobody wanted Darren Sharper either.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Someone wrote:
"Dude, it's cyclical...we had Sonny AND Billy Kilmer at the same time. We had probably the single best all-around player in NFL history at QB in Sammy Baugh about 40 years before that."

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

******************************************
Yep, yep,; true, true

They were always 2nd class to Landry and Roger, who won 2 Super Bowls in the same era and at least 6-7 NFC East titles while Allen coached here and Sonny and Billy played here.

Lastly, is Fletcher really a pro bowler because he's playing in the game? If so, does that make Peyton Manning a non pro bowler cause he's not playing in the game?

Just a thought

Posted by: kedavis | January 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

Shows how much you want to believe that you're in touch with today's younger generation.

"Spinner" anything has been played out, homie. For rims is just plain ol' "22 chrome rims. For chains it's platinum or gold w/ diamonds. No corny lookin spinning sh*t.

Maybe if you weren't faithfully up here trying to dissect every post up here all the time maybe you would've caught that.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't mind getting rid of Landry for a 3rd. But I'm sure there's other teams out there (Raiders) who would be willing to trade a high 3rd rounder for him instead of the Saints. Ryan Clark is supposed to be a FA so I'd bring him back here and team him up with Horton/Doughty.
Posted by: ga8085"

Why in the world would you trade Landry for a draft choice who will probably turn out to be not as good a player?

Horton and Doughty can't play side by side.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Discuss.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

No way on Arizona, they have Leinart and while they certainly aren't sure he's the answer they have to give him the chance to be especially when JC doesn't present a clear upgrade. If they were trading for a QB it would have to be for an established top 10 guy like McNabb not a 3rd tier guy when they already have that on the roster.

MN maybe, but again, they have Rosenfels and Jackson, is Campbell a guaranteed upgrade? IMO not so much.

Real possibilities for a trade IMO are:

Carolina
Buffalo
St. Louis

and possibly Cleveland or Seattle depending on if Holmgren tries to get Hasselbeck or not.

those are the only places IMO that he presents an obvious upgrade over what they have outside of Oakland but Al seems inclined to give Russel one more year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Discuss.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think both would be more interested in Donovan McNabb.

Arizona might give Leinhart the 1 yr tryout if Kurt retires. Just because the $ owed.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 29, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

If our new coaches could play the other team's coaches, we would win the coach's Super Bowl......

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 29, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Thankyou. Safeties in their 30's are still going strong and have seen everything.

Alex,
I would LOVE if a team like the Cards would trade up with the Skins to take a QB. But I would love it even more if the Browns or Bills would trade up with us. I don't see anybody giving up a late 1st for JC though..

Posted by: ga8085 | January 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 11:50 AM

Sharper's a ball-hawk and a threat to run back TOs for scores. Ryan Clark's game is nothing like that. There will always be a need for a Sharper-type player, Clark is a role player.

My fear is that he won't be anything special without a Pro-Bowl safety next to him. If you recall, the more effective years of his career were spent lining up next to Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu.

So for the right price, I'd take a flier on him. Wouldn't open up the coffers, though.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If you become a star and get you own fathead, will it be grainy an out of focus?

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

i agree with flound on the death penalty...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 29, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 29, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I think every team you mentioned there has had a uniform change, yankees added that blue alternate shirt. Celtics have a black and green jersey now that they use. Sox, come on they have made a bunch of changes in their time, they had red hats at one point in the 70's and pinstripe hats in the 30s.

And yes we are smart bloggers its the cost of being the fan of a sports team in the most well educated city in the US.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"And Sonny and Billy won exactly what? The same thing that George Allen won here. Let me recap facts and reality. Despite all the talking that Sonny does, the Redskins won exactly ONE NFC East title while he was here and guess what ... He wasn't even the QB for most of that season. Allen, Sonny and Billy are mostly known for (1) Beating Dallas in an NFC title game (2) Losong the Super Bowl (3) Doing nothing else that folk remember."

Speaking of not remembering, I think that's your problem. George Allen never liked Sonny Jurgenson, and consequently sat him in favor of the much less skilled Billy Kilmer. Staubach was a terrific quarterback on a terrific team; Jurgenson a terrific QB on inferior teams. Vince Lombardi believed he could have won multiple titles with Sonny at the helm. George Allen disagreed.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

There are talks of Ed Reed retiring...

I always think it's funny when guys name all-pro and potential future HOF'ers to make their argument.

Would you consider Ryan Clark in the class with those guys? Because most don't.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2010 11:55 AM

I'd say if you're looking for a pro bowler at FS in FA, that he is not. But I'd Take Clark at FS and Landry at SS, that would make a pretty good Safety tandem, but I guess you could say Landry would just make Ryan look better than he realy is. I'd say they would be a formidable pair making eachother better.

I'm afraid no one is going to view JC17 as a franchise QB. Therfore he hasn't much trade Value.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

you better hope they don't make stupidity illegal.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 29, 2010 11:48 AM |

Why that would get rid of you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 29, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

With SHANAHAN's record in the draft, we'll only find salvation outside it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

alex:

"Me, I like some aspects of a parliamentary system....."

Now there's a take of yours I DO like.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

alright...i'm sick of hearing about uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many other teams/fans are constantly referring to their teams uniform? The most important thing is having a team that is playing top level football in all phases. Fu%$ the uniform, they can play in sweats if they are playing playoff level football. Enough with the uniforms.............

Posted by: kingpenn1 | January 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Real possibilities for a trade IMO are:

Carolina
Buffalo
St. Louis

Posted by: zjfr2
___
I think Carolina is happy with Moore.. Buffalo will probably draft a QB.. they say Claussen. St Louis is possible.. assuming they pick Suh number one. Though I'm hearing they are looking at Vick.. and maybe draft Colt McCoy in 2nd round. Agree about Cleveland and Seattle.. though wonder what Zorn told his friend Holmgren about JC. To me Oakland is his best move.. Russell is a bigger bust than Campbell and one of the few games JC looked good last year was against the Raiders. As far as Vikings I'd trade Campbell for Rosenfels. Kyle and LaFleur coached Sage in Houston for 2 years.. so Sage should have a good idea about the their system.

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5
_____
I concur with a trade to Oakand (last QB we traded to Oakand was Schroeder for Jim Lachy and that worked out preety well for us) So yeah Campbell but maybe for a OL man.. but I guess no chance getting Robert Gallery. Draft pick works to... Also as far as changing uniforms.. NO Black and maroon!!!! No need to THUG UP the team's uniform. But if a change does happen I hope it is to those throwback spear helments and uniform's they wore as a third jersey in 2001. They looked very cool...

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

10 Reasons For Washington DC Sports Fans To Keep Hope Alive

Posted by: ceo22 | January 29, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Campbell Highlights
2005 - Bill Musgrave, QB coach, former Jacksonville OC
- Campbell gets one year personal tutorial.
- Crowd wants JC as a starter
2006 - Al Saunders, Assoc. HC OC - JC becomes a starter.
- Team does not improve
- JC excuses begin with: "a new system"
2007 - Same coaching staff
- Team sinking fast
- Excuses: "his first real year on a new system"
- Collins takes over and skins makes the play-offs.
- Excuses: "he knows Saunders system"
2008 - Zorn HC/QB coach Sherman Smith OC.
- Portis gets hurt, team sinks.
- Excuses: "Right Tackle"
- Change is made at Right Tackle.
- Newer Excuses: "A new system"
2009 - Same coaching staff
- Campbell ineptness is glaring
- New excuse: "Zorn restricting Campbell"
- Newer excuse: "Left tackle is hurt"
- New Left Tackle
- Newest excuse: "OL stinks"

Summary:
In his pro career Campell has had:
5 completed seasons of pro-football (4 as starter)
2 different HC (Gibbs, Zorn)
3 different OCs (2 while starting)
3 years coaching with a hall-of-famer HC known for his QB training ability (Joe Gibbs).
1 year personal QB coach with one of the most talented QB coaches in the NFL (Bill Musgrave).
2 years with QB coach with an impecable resume as QB trainer (Zorn).
2 years with one of the best OCs in the game (Saunders).

Prediction for losing if Campbell still here:
- "New coaching staff"
- "New system"
- "everyone stinks but poor old JC"

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!!

Posted by: hock1 | January 29, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Summary:
In his pro career Campell has had:
5 completed seasons of pro-football (4 as starter)
2 different HC (Gibbs, Zorn)
3 different OCs (2 while starting)
2 years with QB coach with an impecable resume as QB trainer (Zorn).
2 years with one of the best OCs in the game (Saunders).

Prediction for losing if Campbell still here:
- "New coaching staff"
- "New system"
- "everyone stinks but poor old JC"

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!!!!

Posted by: hock1
_____
Excellent evaluation.. The Skins will LOSE if they keep Campbell!!! Ship him out we have to go with someone new...

Posted by: sovine08 | January 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse