Kyle Shanahan makes a Redskins fan out of Red Sox outfielder

Peter King's "Monday Morning Quarterback" at SI.com is appointment-reading for most in the NFL, and he passed along a nugget this week that might intrigue Redskins fans.

The Boston Red Sox have been leaning lately on Darnell McDonald, a 31-year-old outfielder who's spent most of his professional baseball career in the minors. So what does he have to do with the Redskins?

Well, in his column this week, King points out that McDonald is a former high school football teammate of Kyle Shanahan.

McDonald chose a baseball career over a football scholarship from the University of Texas. Shanahan, meanwhile, took his only scholarship offer to Duke University, eventually transferring to Texas and earning a scholarship there. Neither pursued a career as a pro football player, but each has found success.

King interviewed McDonald and noted that a teen-aged Shanahan used to take his high school buddies to the Broncos' practice facility to see the pro players, the practice habits and the commitment necessary at the sport's highest level.

"What Kyle's done isn't a surprise to me,'' McDonald told King. "He grew up around football, and he loved it so much. I saw what a great job he did in Houston [as offensive coordinator]. Now I'm going to switch teams. I've always loved the Broncos, but now I'm going to have to root for the Redskins.''

Sellers, Edwin Williams warn of steroids' dangers

Mike Sellers and Edwin Williams addressed a group of 125 high school students Monday at FedEx Field to discuss the dangers of steroid use -- something that Sellers admitted is extremely tough for football players to resist.

The Associated Press's Joseph White was onhand and reports that Sellers told the students that's "extremely tough" for NFL players to resist the temptation of performance-enhancing drugs.

"There are natural ways to do it," Sellers, 34, said. "I've changed from body from [age] 25 to now just by doing it the right way, eating my protein and taking the right steps to do what I had to do. I just don't see a reason to do it if you work hard."

Williams said he was aware of steroid-users in high school, college and the pros -- in fact, he estimated that 20 percent of college players juice -- but said steroids just aren't worth the risks.

"Through experiences I know from people who have taken it, through high school, college, even at this level, it don't make you a better player," Williams told the students. "You may look good. You may have six-pack abs and everything, but it doesn't make you a better player. [You need] determination, working hard at practices, things like that."

Like father ...

Phillip Daniels, aka @ThatBoyPhil93 on Twitter, passes along a tip on a high school recruit: "Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming has named my son DaVaris the #1 football player in the state of Illinois." Lemming described DaVaris as a wide receiver who "has played quarterback, running back, wide receiver, free safety, linebacker and cornerback and also returns kicks and punts -- but will play wide receiver in college." Lemming says he has 4.4 speed and a vertical leap of 41 1/2 inches. He's drawing interest from, among others, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Notre Dame, Miami, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

By Rick Maese  |  May 4, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Kyle Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins offer spot to Texans' public relations official
Next: Wyllie will become Redskins' senior vice president

Comments

"...I say he (Swanson) was fired."

If I can bite on a movie title "How Do You Fire Your Henchman"?

If you're Dan Snyder, you tell him:

"You didn't arrest the people who called me a Hobbit behind my back."

"You didn't make the handicapped access more inaccessible."

"What's up with you apologizing for the lack of hand soap and fresh water in the men's room?"

"You still haven't explained why our Asian fans run off to the bathroom with live eels and KY jelly."

"For some reason, you continue to pretend there are obstructed views in the stadium, and tell the complaining fans they are right about this."

"You didn't make Zorn's hiring sound like it was Vinny's fault, and both of their firings mine."

"Which, of course, we both were know weren't."

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Redskins should take PD's son in the FIRST round of the 2015 draft!

Just kidding.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

No argument from me...100% agree on that. But this organization has a long history of (at best) overlooking black folks for high ranking positions--head coach included. So even though it's not the biggest deal out there, it is notable when talking about the Redskins.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:12 AM |

I don't buy this totally....before Shanny...From Spurrier to Zorn - We had one of the most heaviest proportioned Black Assistant Coaches in the league.....

I don't know about the Front Office...they never replied back to me when I sent in my application for their opening accountant job...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I personally don't care about the color of his skin, but for his sake, I do hope it is thick, as I don't think his gig in Huston compares to the job that awaits him in DC...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it seems to me that one of the areas Dan Snyder has not been lacking is in his minority hiring practices.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

^^^Never having a winning football team with a new stadium and winning the Pete Rozell Award...I would say is a tremendous accomplishment.....And the owner McNair is a billionaire as well.....He seems to have great qaulifications....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I know I am late with this argument, but what am I missing about Marko Mitchell?

I thought he was a definite keeper and an untouchable going forward in making the receiver corp top notch from the ground floor.

Does Shanny and his crew know something about Marko that requires him to be cut outright like this without even going through training camp?

What am I missing????

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

McDonald has been a pleasant surprise this year...good to see that he's making the most of his time up in the bigs....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 4, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

LArry - go back to the previous threads...and all will be answered....Classic RI...Today looks like speculate on why Karl left day....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:31 AM

I don't give him any brownie points (no pun intended) for that...it'd be pretty hard to NOT have any minority assistants nowadays. What I said was "high ranking positions"--i.e. front office, head coach, etc. I don't think Bobby Mitchell walks away from this organization as pissed off as he was if the Redskins organization was up to snuff when it comes to advancing minorities.

Don't get me wrong here...I'm from the school of thought that just like you shouldn't miss out on a job because of your skin color you shouldn't get one because of it either. But this team has routinely been a step behind the rest of the league when it comes to advancing minorities.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

mcdonald started his career as a very high draft pick of the o's!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | May 4, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Didn't have meddling owner, fan base in disarray, constant media scrutiny, recent release of Marko Mitchell, pensions cut etc.. I'm not saying he is not the right guy, just a bigger challenge with the Skins.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"...What am I missing?"

The person who spoke these words is a:

a. eunuch

b. post op transexual

c. a blind spectator at a bullfight

d. a crashed pilot questioning his doctor

e. a girl learning about the birds and the bees from her effeminate Catholic priest.

Moe goes with 'e'.

The priest's reponse, "Little girl what you are missing are the only things I'm interested in."

"Go say your prayers."

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What am I missing????

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 10:42 AM

That a 5th string WR from a 4-12 team is the antithesis of "untouchable".

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: davidmistretta1 | May 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Larry in Clinton:

MM is, errrr was rather, a Cerrato pick on Zorn's team.

He doesn't play special teams. Is he blazingly fast? Not sure, but i tend to doubt it... he is probably "mid pack" compared to NFL receivers speed.

Does he run quick crisp routes? Not that I have ever heard, not that he doesn't anyway. But if he ran quick crisp routes wouldn't we have heard of it?

Does he have some intangible skill set other than presenting a big target who can get the jumpball ball in the endzone? Not that i have heard of.

Did he quickly grasp the new playbook and outperform the dozen other receivers at the recent minicamp? Apparently not.

Like many here, i was intrigued by MM. When i learned he was cut I thought? "MM released? Hmm, Too bad. Oh well."

Shanny et al gave him a fair look and decided "nope, not for us".

I suggest the rest of us move on as well.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 10:40 AM

agreed, sounds like a good hire... although Houston fans are probably still in the honeymoon phase with their team, and a shiny new stadium helps rather than hurts. can't say much about McNair's style as an owner.

curious about the job description. Swanson was way more than a PR guy, hence the "henchman" nickname. don't really care about the propaganda part, since that stuff is pretty easy to tune out... but wondering if Wyllie will have the same influence on internal policy decisions.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey Brown,
I think you bring up a good point that a 5th WR is not untouchable.

My beef yesterday was Bruce Allen brought in 50 year old [hyperbole] former Buc WR Joey Galloway and they cut a young bigger, faster Marko Mitchell, before he even gets a training camp? Joey Galloway gets a camp but Marko does not?

If Marko had been cut after camp, so be it.
I am not one of those who think he is untouchable.
However, I am the one who first said and still feels bringing in Galloway and giving him a spot to go to camp and cutting Marko to me makes no sense.

Hail!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

know I am late with this argument, but what am I missing about Marko Mitchell?

What am I missing????

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it is obvious he was not as good as we thought after what we saw in preseason last year. I mean it was preseason.

Posted by: leevi98 | May 4, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, you can't have it both ways. Either you are FOR giving people extra points (or against) for skin tone, or NOT giving extra points(or taking some away) for their "minority" status.

Saying you are against giving extra points, but then complaining about the Redskins not "advancing" the cause of minority hiring is illogical.

Personally, I'm tired of all the race based hiring concerns, but then again, I work in a meritocracy where the best are selected for advancement based solely upon their performance. Black, white, brown, yellow, women, men... you name it, we got it, and every body gets a fair shot.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

You make a good point Ray, but what I think is overlooked is that Galloway has a history with Bruce Allen from their days in Tampa. Sometimes it's all about who you know.

Regardless of age, Galloway and Wade are guys that could conceivably be starting caliber players. If Shanahan thinks Marko isn't a starting caliber player, then he's not going to help here (since he can't play special teams).

What has Marko screwed is that he won't have a similar advantage unless either Vinny Cerrato gets another GM gig or Zorn gets another HC gig. Since we know that is about as likely as me tapping Sandra Bullock's ass, he's gonna have to hope someone takes a flier on him going into camp.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Then one foggy Sargasso Sea Neptune came to say: mistalmoe with your fin so bright, won't you guide my seahorseys tonight!? Then how the Tunas loved him as they shouted out with glee, mistalmoe the red finned tuna you'll be canned in a fisssssheeeerryyyyyy.

Posted by: periculum | May 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"...know I am late with this argument, but what am I missing about Marko Mitchell?"

I would wager the issue wasn't with Mitchell, but the overall receiving group.

Who plays with 3-4 undeveloped receivers in today's NFL?

No one.

Marko Mitchell was symbolic in that he represented a roster position where 'potential' was being substituted for performance.

No football team has that kind of luxury, and the older players in Galloway and Wade at least have the vet 'move the chains' mentality a fourth receiver should have.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

My guess is Marko Mitchell wasn't putting forth the right kind of effort in the offseason program. And they did draft a receiver/returner for the special teams in Austin Terrance of UCLA. I guess they like him better.

Posted by: periculum | May 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I like your chances over JZ's, brownie.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 4, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I like your chances over JZ's, brownie.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 4, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Roundup: QB Campbell clear favorite at Raiders camp

Posted: May 3rd, 2010

Raiders coach Tom Cable won’t select a starting quarterback in May. He calls it an open competition, but others call it a formality because newly acquired QB Jason Campbell was the hands-down favorite at the Raiders’ three-day minicamp over the weekend, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Posted by: wathu19 | May 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Skins behind in hiring men of race?

Bobby Mitchell:
Was upset his number was used.
Was upset he was not made GM when Beathard departed and Casserly was promoted to GM. By the way Snyder has been quoted as saying his biggest mistake was keeping Norv and firing Casserly.

When reading Wikipedia it reads Mitchell was passed over for Bobby Beathard in 78.
Oh please, Beathard already had quite the reputation in 78 and Bobby Mitchell had been a scout and was working his way up in the Skins organization.

Wow, nothing like changing the facts to create a story and anger people, huh?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

OK.

Appears that Shanny and crew when it comes to receivers may have a keen eye. If what is said here is true, time will tell.

I hope they are right and we did not jump the gun to quickly in releasing Mitchell.

Kind of puts a chink in Shanny's competition mantra, winning your spot on the field, yadayadayada, and so on though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Cosign, and add: The vets can teach DT11, MK12 how to be pro receivers. Is this not at least a slight indictment of SM89 and are?

And on the other hand, should established vets striving to maintain their prime even be looking to train their relief? Maybe, maybe not, but crusty crafty over the hill guys certainly should if they want a roster spot... and that is where Galloway et al comes in.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"QB Campbell clear favorite at Raiders camp"

That's an impressive headline right until you remember who the alternative is:

Jamarcus Russell

Like I said,.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:09 AM

I think you're missing my point...all I said is that it's good the Redskins hired a minority to a high-level position. And then a bunch of people jumped on me as if I said that he was hired BECAUSE of his race, which I did not. I'd like to think the Skins hired this guy based on his qualifications, not his skin color. All I'm saying is that this organization has a history of lacking diversity in their management and this hire helps dissolve that viewpoint, whether that is real or perceived.

This is the NFL. Nobody hires a guy BECAUSE he's black or white or whatever. You need to get the best to be the best. I'm just saying it's good the Redskins are starting to show some diversity.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:22 AM

to open the can of worms a little further... hence the Rooney rule?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok cool Brownwood. I guess i'm just hopeful that our country can move past a place where its even a consideration... like you hire a board of directors or something based only on their qualifications, but then at the end you notice they are all of one race and sex... and you know there is going to be at least the perception of a problem even though they were the best candidates.

One last thing... i also disagree that the Redskins are behind. AFAIK, they have always been running with the pack if not out front in leading and participating in some of the minority training and internship programs the NFL has implemented. Certainly not lagging.

Peace, and Hail.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Time for some facts w/ no commentary:

Joey Galloway will be 39 in Nov.
He is only 5'11"
The PATs after only playing Galloway in three games last season cut Galloway.
He had caught only 7 passes.
QB was Tom Brady; QB was not the issue.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:18 A
Here’s what went through my head while I was perusing your comments:

Skins behind in hiring men of race?
Bobby Mitchell:
Was upset his number was used.

“He was UP-SET!!!!!!”

“He was PASSED OVER!!!!!!!”

Oh please, ….blah blah blah……

“Ooooooooooooooooooooooo-wee!
What up wid dat?
What up wid dat?
Ooooooooooooooooooooooo-wee!
What up wid dat?
What up wid dat?
Wasssssssssssssup……….wid…….daaaaaaa-aaaaaaa-aaaat?”

Sorry, just a little SNL humor.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 4, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"MM was a one trick pony. He ran one route, the fade, pretty well. He's razor thin and not very physical. With Shanny's penchant for big-bodied WRs never saw him as a good fit.

Posted by: davidmistretta1"

I grudgingly accept this logic..I'd go for a meritocracy too, Keno, if the frame werent so MFin' rigged...I'd own the Washington Post also , if I could print whatevah dollah I wanted..As for my "brown bruthahs", 16 TONS AND WADDYA GET?? ANOTHA DAY OLDER AND DEEPER IN DEBT!! GIVE ME YOUR POOR, YOUR TIRED, YOUR DOWNTRODDEN, YOUR WAR FODDER, aieeeeee...i luv that staue of liberty...yes, all men are created equal...and all the robins and mockingbirds and frogs and..

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Kyle Shanahan and Chris Simms have matching tats. on their ankles which makes him half a homo. Sooo technically we have a minority OC..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

...

What am I missing????

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 10:42 AM

The theory that the reason he remained on the roster but not on the field was because Vinny needed to make a point about the solidness of his draft picks, i.e., that Vinny thought more of him than the actual coaches did ... and that, because he was a draft choice, he was solid with his roster spot.

[Of course, this theory does not explain how a guy drafted earlier than Mitchell gets cut ... and ends up playing in the AFC championship with the Colts.]

Posted by: dcsween | May 4, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:22 AM

Well.....Their are still some issues with the Front Office league wide...and that's why some peeps want to expand the Rooney Ruke to the FO....and maybe let it go in the HEad Coaching hiring process....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:35 AM

LOL, well played.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Marko Mitchell wasn't putting forth the right kind of effort...And they did draft a receiver/returner for the special teams in Austin Terrance of UCLA. I guess they like him better."

I think every report so far indicates that each and every member of the roster is busting his butt to impress a skins' coaching staff that's pulling cards like a Mafia don.

Mitchell's sin wasn't a lack of effort, but that he wasn't the draft pick Thomas and Kelly are.

I'd wager Mitchell is better than Kelly, but who cuts/releases second/third round draft picks without giving them a full season to show their wares?

And given T Austin's straight ahead speed and special teams ability, the team--again--saw Mitchell as surplus.

Plus, no one carries 3-4 undeveloped receivers--the jints passing attack faltered last season as Eli tried to bond with the undeveloped Nicks, Smith, Manningham, and Beard.

If M Mitchell is going to be great, it'll be some place else.

But not in Washington.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Counter point to:

Time for some facts w/ no commentary:

Joey Galloway will be 39 in Nov.
He is only 5'11"
The PATs after only playing Galloway in three games last season cut Galloway.
He had caught only 7 passes.
QB was Tom Brady; QB was not the issue.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:30 AM |

_____________________________________

Could it be that Galloway is here to mentor the youngins in how practice and study habits? Clearly this team has lack leadership on that side of the ball for years now. Could it be that BA and MS want to change the culture and a pros like Galloway and Wade can set a foundation for the WR group? If Galloway and/or Wade make the final 53 and fail to produce, then I can see taking issue with their presence. It's only the offseason, relax.

Posted by: TWISI | May 4, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Passed over implies unfair hiring.
Bobby Beathard had been w/ Miami and quite successful, he WAS the best thing for the Skins.
And it was Beathard who knew a young 39 year old man who had never been a Head Coach at any level was sharp enough to be the HC of the Skins --- Joe Gibbs.

Now it is true Casserly did not come to the Skins until 77 and Mitchell was hired several years later. However Casserly was quite the scout and by 82 was already Beathard's chief Assistant.

Brownwood is right; you hire the best regardless of color.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 4, 2010 11:41 AM

We were split on this yesterday. 50% of the posters thought that Marko Mitchell would be a better mentor. 50% of the posters thought that the coaches could decide who would be a better mentor. The other 85% thought that Cindy should have a poll and let RI decide who would be the best mentor.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 11:36 AM

LOL, well played.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:39 AM

you guys are cool w/ meritocracy then... how about women in NFL front-office positions? lack of interest, experience, and/or ability?

and I'm not talking coaches or players:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Could it be that Galloway is here to mentor the youngins in how practice and study habits? Clearly this team has lack leadership on that side of the ball for years now. Posted by: TWISI
____________________________________________

You could be on to something.
I certainly hope this is not Bruce Allen sentimentally bringing in an old, done, former player.
Hope you are correct TWISI !!
Good thought.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood is right; you hire the best regardless of color.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 11:42 AM

This is America - We don't do that here.

You usually hire the one you are most comfortable with.

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow...there truly is no limit to your insensitivity.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:07 AM

ROFL! Only on Redskins Insider can you find a guy like brownwood26 upbraiding people for insensitivity.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 11:38 AM

I've heard the same...the only good with that IMO is that it gets some guys a sit-down that might not get one otherwise. Mike Tomlin probably isn't the Steelers coach without the Rooney Rule. The NFL is about connections, and you can trace just about any hiring to a guy's connection to the man in charge.

I see a pretty good amount of growth in NFL front offices in general that I don't think there's a need for a Rooney Rule for that. Truth be told, the Rooney Rule should be done away with altogether.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow...there truly is no limit to your insensitivity.
Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 10:07 AM
Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:51 AM

Brownwood, you jacka$$! He rolling on the floor laughing. There’s going to be hell to pay for you when he breaks his hip. No more funny stuff okay?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 4, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

and I'm not talking coaches or players:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

To use one of Beantown's movie quotes...

"Mr. Moodly, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on."

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Could it be that Galloway is here to mentor the youngins in how practice and study habits?"

Young receivers need help with breaking off routes, making sight adjustments based on coverages, and learning how to exploit openings in various coverages.

A vet would explain why knowing down and distance is important, and how to run a route so, if anything, a third and eight becomes a 1st down more of than not.

A vet would also give a daily visual for how to come out of breaks, how to properly 'rub off' or break out of bunch sets to get open.

All NFL players know how to train.

But some dudes need a vet to show them how to play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

To use one of Beantown's movie quotes...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 11:54 AM

as I've said before, when bean finds a copy of this in velvet, my life will be a little more complete:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Shanny et al gave him a fair look and decided "nope, not for us".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 10:56 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"how to properly 'rub off' or break out of bunch sets"

Rumor has it, this is why MM got cut..

The 'Rub off' is something Kyle looks for in his receivers.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

I think if you went by the numbers last year, the entire offense would have been cut.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 4, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep
____________________________________________

of course not; I just posted Galloway's numbers moments ago:
only three games only 7 receptions.

TWIS has suggested Galloway is being brought to mentor DT, MK.
That may be it, but numbers speaking for themselves?
Certainly not.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:59 AM

That's why it cracks me up that people up here compare him to Darnerian McCants...DM had 8 touchdowns in his first two years here. Marko probably wouldn't crack 8 total catches. The only thing similar about those guys is they're both black and they're both tall. That's it. That's the list.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I know Jack Elway quit playing QB at Arizona, sad.

But I think if the skins can grab Jared Green out of UVA in a season or two and DaVaris Daniels.

Legacy bowl champions!

Posted by: alex35332 | May 4, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The 'Rub off' is something Kyle looks for in his receivers.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

But not his tattoos.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant's mom is demanding an apology.
Did you guys see this on ESPN this morning before work?

You recall J Ireland for Dolphins FO asked Bryant, "Is your mom a Prostitute?"
She is fuming now and upset, demanding an apology.

Uh Mrs Bryant, why don't you tell the rest of the story? We are already know it anyway.
What does your dad do?
He is a pimp.
What does your mom do?
She worked with my dad.
Was your mom a prostitute?

Boy, knowing the context of a quote sure brings everything to light, doesn't it?

And Mrs Bryant, you are a convicted drug felon. It is YOU Mrs Bryant who owes Dez the apology! What kind of mother are you?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 4, 2010 12:04 PM

Most of them have been cut, starting with Campbell.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Don't his numbers last year speak for themselves: 10 games, 4 catches, 32 yards?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 11:59 AM"

That he was a better prospect as a rookie than Malcolm Kelly was?

Posted by: psps23 | May 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Who was the QB when Joey Galloway was any good?

Posted by: dcsween | May 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

of course not; I just posted Galloway's numbers moments ago:
only three games only 7 receptions.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:05 PM

Ray, why don't we talk about this if Galloway makes the opening day roster? You're coming unhinged.

But, compare those numbers to Marko Mitchell. Mitchell, in ten games had only 4 catches for 32 yards. Galloway put up way better numbers in far fewer games. He doubled Mitchell's production in 70% fewer games.

So, yeah, the numbers on these two do speak for themselves. You don't hear them? You're deaf.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

and I'm not talking coaches or players:

Like Karl Marx said, "From each according to her abilities, to each according to his needs." Which reminds me, its about BBQ time, moogledymoogledy...

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Really? Wade is, at his best, another ARE. Galloway has been on the decline for quite a while.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

What does your dad do?
He is a pimp.
What does your mom do?
She worked with my dad.
Was your mom a prostitute?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Just because this is what the Dolphins said doesn't automatically make it the truth.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If Galloway was brought in to mentor, it seems more perplexing to me to get rid of a young receiver whom I thought showed promise and certainly needs mentoring.

Huh???

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1

Have you no chelada?? This actually makes me like Dez Bryant more..Next time youre a poor black woman from the dysfunctional white man's frame , we'll see how you do in the 20-pound Baby Shotput..

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD

Agreed. Shanahan had some reason to cut MM, just no idea what it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:21 PM

tips the chelada to yours again! may I suggest you go easy on the sauce?

given the judicious outflowing of meritocratic open minds up here, thought this item from WaPo last summer was interesting... personally, I'm secure enough not to care what consenting adults do in the bedroom. the playing field is a different matter.

as for the former, it's probably kinda boring. as for the latter, want the 'skins to win with the best personnel regardless.

--------------------------------

Let's establish one thing - there are gay players in the NFL. How many is anybody's guess. There are about 1,700 NFL players. If we take the standard metric of gays making up 10% of the population, that would equal 170 players. Even taking an extremely low 1%, that would give us 17 gay players. Imagine if 17 NFL players came out tomorrow - it would be the biggest sports story of the past decade.

Even if one active player came out it would be big news, especially since no active player has ever come out publicly in the NFL, NHL, NBA or Major League Baseball. Sports remains the final closet in American society.

I would be surprised if a current NFL player came out. Years of reporting on this issue tells me that the fear of the unknown is too great for someone to be a pioneer - yet. Coaches like Lovie Smith say a player being gay would be no issue -- We judge players based on one thing: Can they play football? If you can play football, you can get into the locker room." - but no one wants to risk being the first.

--------------------------------

and here's another interesting take on the situation:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Frak,
Is not Mrs Bryant responsible for every decision she makes?
Is She responsible for every decision she made as a mother of Dez Bryant?

And she wants Miami to apologize?
She is a felon; she should be on her knees thanking God that her son is not DEAD because of she and her husband's actions.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If some lady could come in and a) evaluate talent and character b) fleece other NFL teams out of a 4th when a 5th would have been a more fair price c) placate the egos of 100+ type A personalities to get everybody rowing at the same time in the same direction, then I'm all for it.

If some gentleman could do it, I'm all for that, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Who was the QB when Joey Galloway was any good?"

First, let's not be so quick to assume that J Galloway will be on the team.

And even if he is come Sept., who speaks so poorly of a guy with 10,777 career yards joining the mediocre wide receiver corp we have?

Such a guy as Galloway makes a nice 4th, possession, move the chains-type receiver any vet q-back would want to have.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan had some reason to cut MM, just no idea what it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:32 PM

I want to speculate, if you will permit me:

1. You will never have any idea what it was.
2. Marko Mitchell won't clear waivers. Two or three other teams will claim him.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

About the Dez Bryant sit: You don't ask anyone if there mother is prostitute. It shows a lack of respect and underhandedness even considering the leading questions if that is even true.

Dez Bryant should have come across the podium and whipped his arse and once he finished he should have asked him was his father a punk.

It would have been par for the course.

The GM is an ignoramus human being.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 4, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

And she wants Miami to apologize?

Posted by: RedskinRay1

Have a freakin' heart, Ray, let's see how you feel when you and your parents pestiferous past comes under the Hollywood glare..If you were the Bushes you'd just bribe somebody or have them shot..

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Good insight. I putting TO up as the odds on favorite to come out first.. (5 to 1)

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not she is/was a working grrl, it is an INCREDIBLY stupid question loaded with arrogance and hubris. Ireland is lucky he doesn't need facial surgery.

And any attempt by the team to dissipate the damage just adds to the fire and makes them look even worse.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Can we stop with the Marko Mitchell boo boo parade?

All we know is that he was the lone bright spot in last years pre-season scrub matches. But did he keep working all year to improve? Did he come to work in shape this off-season? Did he commit to learning the offense? Being a professional?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Larry,
Have you never been a part of interviewing anyone?
If a company is going to invest $ into an employee [in this case probably what at least 15 Million Dollars over the next 4-5 years, and you find out the potential employee's dad is a pimp, don't you ask, about your mother?

The customer is NOT always right.
The employee is NOT always right.
You have the right and responsibility to your boss to ask the tough questions.

Now, having said that, don't misunderstand me. I AM sorry Dez has this embarrassment to endure: his dad a pimp, his mom a convicted drug felon.
It's called representation---- the choices of a parent will be a part of a child's life.
Hope he can over come it.

and I hope he has the never to tell his parents "No" when they come to him wanting money. They are both felonious leeches.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

On a side note:

Catastrophies:

Oil gushing in gulf - Monday FEMA put up their first inkling about it. Government tells fishermen and the industry that "NO PROBLEM, YOUR GOVERNMENT IS HERE FOR YOU". They can just SUE BP for any losses. The government, meanwhile will take care of all the people out of work with a weekly stipend and a block of cheese (do they still do that or has the food police put if off limits because of obesity) for 99 weeks.

18 inches of rain in Nashville, Tn. Massive flooding, 1000's of homes located outside the 100 year flood plain. No flood insurance. Government FEELS your pain.

SUV bomb dud that failed to explode. The NYPD handles problem. FBI backing them up with whatever is needed.

Our fearless leader WOWS all the News organizations at the annual White House Corresponce Dinner.

Have no fear, your government is hard at work protecting you.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | May 3, 2010 10:56 PM |

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | May 4, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"They are both felonious leeches."

The Felonious Leeches!!! Thats a great punk rock band!!!

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld

"But did he keep working all year to improve? Did he come to work in shape this off-season? Did he commit to learning the offense? Being a professional?"

I'm not on the MM boo-hoo parade, and I also don't think dude was being lazy.

I think the team just made a 'business decision' and saw Mitchell as surplus already having two 'big' receivers in Kelly/Thomas.

MM wasn't a high draft pick and guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Blame the RI folks who promised he'd be the next Lynn Swann for the letdown.

I don't get where the "Was he being lazy?" comes from from so many people as an NFL team will cut any guy for any reason, the least of which is his work ethic.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan had some reason to cut MM, just no idea what it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:32 PM

I want to speculate, if you will permit me:

1. You will never have any idea what it was.
2. Marko Mitchell won't clear waivers. Two or three other teams will claim him.

Posted by: beep-beep |

Dang, thought I was getting months of speculation free posts from you.

Be interesting to see if MM gets claimed by Oakland. It would indicate that Campbell has confidence in him and has the ear of his coaches.

One objection to the cuts is that I think we could have gotten some compensation for Monty and MM. A 7th round pick in 2013 is better than zip.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Have a freakin' heart, Ray,...
Posted by: frak
____________________________________________

You are right, Frak.
And as I just posted to:
Hope he can over come it.

Good Day Frat.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

frak, I think you're confusing the Clintons w/ the Bushs (ahemVinceFosterahem)(ahemLewinskysRoommatecough)

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 4, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

On a side note:

Catastrophies:

Have no fear, your government is hard at work protecting you.

OOPS wrong blog! Fixed it for ya.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | May 3, 2010 10:56 PM |

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | May 4, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

If they want to bring in old guys to show the younger guys how to run routes in the Shanahan offense - why not sign Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey?

Posted by: coparker5 | May 4, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

This blog never fails to deliver the same attitude...Marko Mitchell was cut and some seem to act like we just cut a high draft pick with tons of talent....

Fact is...We saw MM play OK in a few preseason games last year. He did not deliver in the regular season when given the chance. Also he does not run crisp routes and is very slow in terms of speed and qucikness....he does notplay special teams so how do you justify a spot for him?

Posted by: leevi98 | May 4, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If some gentleman could do it, I'm all for that, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 12:36 PM

true, we're still waiting to see if BA and MS can do it... but I'm encouraged in many respects thus far.

with women and the front-office, I think mostly it's just lack of interest and experience in the game, since there is no way a woman is going to be able to compete physically in football... except rare token exceptions who aren't very good compared to the competition anyway (e.g., Katie Hnida). for the most part, front-office types have some background in the game, at least at the collegiate level.

otherwise, per my post @ 12:35, the reality of gay NFL players has been around for a long time, whether the fans see it or not.

which brings me to the final line of the second article:

"What would you do if a player whose jersey you owned came out of the closet?"

may the best man win.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Roger, DikShuttle, they're all the same..Actually, Exxon blew up BP's rig cuz they knew they tapped into the mother root...Nuclear war with Britain??

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe MM is what Vinny thought he was. A 7th round pick from a WAC school who managed to hang around for a year and get an NFL check.

Maybe the Shanny's simply see him for what he is, and are thinking, nah, we'll get some old vet(s) who is (are) just as talented, way more experienced, and can therefore get by with less reps in camp and during the NFL week to be ready to come in and get it done if one of the frontliners goes down... while the young frontliners can get uber coached and mentored with more resultant reps in camp and during the week.

meanwhile, morrocco's team can get busy looking for the next young stud WR and Shanallen can keep looking at the waiver wire.

We are talking 'bout a 7th rd WAC kid who kicked ass against all the other 7th rounders and camp invitees in camp last year, right?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM

I feel confident that Bruce Allen had the good sense to work the phones. Even if he couldn't get a pick, he would have tried to get some other team's surplus baggage.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Shanahan had some reason to cut MM, just no idea what it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:32 PM

Something about problems rubbing off.

Posted by: dcsween | May 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep |

I swear, once you start speculating, you just can't stop ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 12:44 PM

just caught this... yes, I wouldn't be surprised about TO. but that doesn't have anything to do with why I don't like him.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

... a 7th round pick in 2013 is better than zip.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM

This is Marko Mitchell we're talking about, not Jason Campbell.

Posted by: dcsween | May 4, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Smith should be in the Hall of Fame, regardless...So should Jim Henson and Kermit...

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 12:44 PM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to do with my dislike for TO, but he strikes me as very homosexual. I don't think he has ever been married, and you never hear about him having a girlfriend..

At least Jeff Garcia has a hot wife, which puts him on the backburner for now....
(30 to 1)

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 1:09 PM

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 4, 2010 1:17 PM

and you care about this... because?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

TO is an 8th grader masquerading in an elite NFL receiver's body.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

And she wants Miami to apologize?

Posted by: RedskinRay1

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:42 PM

Don't do it Ray. That heart is a luxury you can't afford. If someone is offering, do us all a favor and take a brain.

Posted by: mack1 | May 4, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 12:42 PM

The past was just actually last year....

...She got another crack distribution charge and was sentenced to 10 years probation in 2009.

When she got her 1st crack distribution charge, she got real time and served 18 months. Show evidently, she was showed favoritisim or OSU paid for her lawyer....usually sentences go up and not down.....

It is in Dez's and Moms interest to let the story go and stop responding to inquires because people start digging in your past....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 4, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

TO is an 8th grader masquerading in an elite NFL receiver's body.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 4, 2010 1:22 PM

yes!!! thank you Kaneohe... this is the real problem w/ TO.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 4, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | May 4, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Terrell Owens is gay? Well, that would help explain a lot of that drama he created on the sidelines during games. Never thought about it before, but maybe ...

Posted by: shanks1 | May 4, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse