Santana Moss likes what he sees in how Kyle Shanahan used Andre Johnson

Santana Moss doesn't need to study much game film to realize how effective a wide receiver can be in Kyle Shanahan's offense. One of his good friends is Houston receiver Andre Johnson, who was a teammate of Moss' at the University of Miami.

Moss has spent a lot of time the past few years enviously watching Johnson play in a potent passing attack.

"Just watching him play, I used to make calls all the time and say, 'How are you getting this wide open?' Dre will tell you," Moss said. "I just scratch my head at night, watching highlights. Man, you know he's getting the ball. Dre told me, they were just very creative."

Johnson has posted 1,000-yard seasons in four of the past seasons. When Kyle Shanahan was the Texans' offensive coordinator in 2008 and '09, Johnson had his two best seasons, topping 1,500 yards both times. He led the league, in fact, in receiving yards last year and was part of the league's top-ranked passing offense.

"They know how to move you around and get you to the points, where you don't have to always worry about being on that island, being out there," Moss said. "I used to be out there sometimes and I was wondering, 'Help.' I get a cover-2 shell or something and there was no way out of it."

Moss also had a favorable review of new receivers coach Keenan McCardell. Moss and McCardell were actually teammates in Washington in 2007, McCardell's final season as a player.

"Some of the best players are the best coaches," he said. "I will watch him - watch his film - and be able to be coached by just watching his film. You don't have to say a word to me. Some of us pick up like that. He don't have to say a word to me. I can sit back, see some of the things he did as a player, and say, 'Okay, I'm gonna do this more, I'm gonna do that more.' Now you have that coach, now you have him coming in, being able to instruct you in that form and in that way."

By Rick Maese  |  March 26, 2010; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  Kyle Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo focuses on helping defense improve in turnover department
Next: Shanahan interested in Terrell Owens or Brandon Marshall?

Comments

Good to see Da Mayor stepped away from the buffet line to write some new material and its not even copy/ pasted stuff...

Happy Friday Mayor.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 26, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Let us all pray that Moss will have the success that Andre Johnson did in the Mike Shanahan offense.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how when Al Saunders left these same guys were saying they were glad they didn't have to deal with all of the motion and shifts in the backfield because Zorn's offense had less of that. Now, Kyle Shanahan is in town and these guys are basically saying they are glad he is bringing some motion and shifts so they can move guys around to overload zones and create mismatches - pretty much the same stuff they said they were happy Al Saunders took with him. Yesterday Moss was throwing his QB and offensive line under the bus in defense of Portis. Today he is whining about the offense. Here's one for you Santana: just shut up and catch the ball, dammit.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 26, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

We'll finally be able to see what FD/DT/MK can do, and I feel that Moss will have a HUGE year with this offense.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Gonna torch 'em in '10. I love it when this guy catches that ultra deep pass. Game changer when he gets the ball.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Moss too worried about trying to spin the ball on the ground after a catch. Even is the catch is a 3 yard gain and the Skins are down by 30... Espn voice: C'mon mane...

Posted by: hbu_dog | March 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

1st to say it'd Devin or M Kelly that benefit the most from Kyle being around.

Posted by: Devo2 | March 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Ya Mix got caught in FL. 15 y/o girl. Technically pedophilia.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I think this is the year that Moss gets left behind, really hoping that MK, DT and Marko break out this year.

I hope Moss has a huge year, but I have a feeling its not going to happen, maybe all the U guys will feel like they have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove with the new leaders in town...

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The success will still be predicated on the whether the other receivers can step up.

I love Moss, and I have no doubts about his productivity potential. But even with some new schemes, other dudes are gonna have to catch some balls to take off the pressure.

Andre Johnson has benefitted alot from having Kevin walter and Owen Daniels emerge as legit targets.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

difference between Moss and A. Johnson, ones 5'10 speed demon and the other 6'3 speed monster that goes across the middle looking to take and give some punishment. maybe devon and or malcom can fill that role.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 26, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | March 26, 2010; 9:15 AM ET

I'm sorry...did Moss gain 50 pounds and grow 5 inches in the offseason? Not sure how you use a smallish, speed WR the same way you do a big possession WR, but if all we're talking about is moving him around to maximize his ability to make plays then I'm all for it.

Moss is gonna get his...that ain't the worry here. The greatest concern here is getting the most out of Kelly and Thomas and getting one (or both) of those guys to play the role of Andre Johnson in this offense.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

agreed P1funk

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

This just in! Moss is no Andre Johnson! He's lost a step and now finds it hard to get seperation. Hopefully Kelly and Thomas can step up to free Moss some more.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 26, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope they move Moss to the slot receiver and let the giants on the outside. I would love to see, all 4 playing alot. Still dont know what we have in MM, but we would have 3 tall fast wr and then the Moss to catch balls out in the flat and burn. We will see, in Kyle we trust...

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 26, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So as long as Tebow can say "blessed" a 1,000 times in an interview, I have the right to say "Fu_k Tebow and your god" a thousand times on this blog.

Get over it. Don't like reading the Tebow bashing, scroll along down the page.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Never said you didn't have the right Red. You can say whatever you want. All I said was that it sure seems like a lot of people got a problem with him and he's living in their head tent free. You're off on dome wild a$$ tangent like someone's trying to tell you can and can't say.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse
_____________________________

Moss was talking about basic concepts on offense designed to beat certain coverages (Cover2). Route designs against certain coverages to help break a guy free. Those types of things are universal for the most part, although size to go along with speed always helps.

I'll say this though, Moss gets open a lot. It's frustrating to see him wide open down the middle of the field only to see him be overthrown by 5 yards. You can only scheme so many things... players need to make plays.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Are you suggesting that the 6'4'' guy with great hands should be the possession receiver instead of the 5'11'' guy that drops passes? Zorn scoffs at your assessment. I bet you also think the slower 6'4'' guy shouldn't be the deep threat either.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Keenan McCadell is the WR coach, right? Seems to me like he excelled for a long time with not the greatest talent. Don’t get me wrong, not saying that he was like a James Thrash type, but he obviously knows technique and tricks to help these guys get open. Let’s hope he is a good teacher….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Interesting pair of mocks:

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

The "Shutdown Corner" guy doesn't even have Bruce Campbell in the 1st round.

If Campbell actually falls to #37, I'd be geeked out over an Okung/Bruce Campbell draft with our 1st and 2nd picks...I don't care if we draft all TEs after that, I'd be supremely satisfied.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Peace be with you, Red.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Er ... Rent free

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Let’s hope he is a good teacher….

Posted by: dlhaze1

...and the WR's are good students!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

scamp, discuss it amongst yourself.

I'm not getting baited into some Tebow debate today. Will not.

RSH, you said that Moss threw the o-line under the bus? When? How? For pointing out an obvious weakness?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I've seen a few that have Charles Brown falling to the second round as well. It would be very interesting to have 2 left tackles and 2 tight ends. If you really look at it there are about 38 guys that could go in the first round. We will be getting a great prospect with our second round pick. Even the guys graded for the second round look like great prospects.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Now that Randel El is not here to take catches away from Moss, he should have a huge year. ARE was just such a ball hog, catching 10 a game and trying to take games over himself. Only Leigh Torrence could cover him.

The Texans had an offensive line, so Johnson had time to get open. Until that's addressed here, which I believe it will be, it doesn't matter who you bring in to coach. (Now say that last phrase out loud using The Rock's voice...your coworkers will appreciate it.)

Posted by: Section104 | March 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

scamp, discuss it amongst yourself.

I'm not getting baited into some Tebow debate today. Will not.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Whateves man, you weren't even on point. Wasn't any debate until you made it that way. I made a point and you missed it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"I have been Michael's number two guy for about five years, and we make a great team. We're like one of those classic famous teams. He's like Mozart and I'm like Mozart's friend. No, I'm like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart, you're gonna get a bullet in your head, courtesy of Butch Cassidy." -Dwight K. Schrute

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

_______________________

Definitely a very deep draft due to all the underclassmen that declared. I've read in a couple different places that there are 50-55 players in this draft that have a first round grade.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts exactly.. Watch for Kelly to have a big year! Moss moves to the slot to take over ARE's old spot.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 26, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Michael: N-- well, to be fair, Jim... James... Jimothy... To be fair, Jimothy, the-- ah, that sounds weird. Are you okay with being called Jim?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If Tana keeps his hammies and groin limber, he can benefit from how Kyle Shanahan used Andre Johnson...

Posted by: Alan4 | March 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | March 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I remember reading last year that after the Skins took Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental the Lions contacted the Skins to ask if they were interested in a trade for Jarmon.

I wonder if they'd still be open to that. Maybe we could get that 3rd rounder back?

Jarmon seems like a nice player, but doesn't seem to have a firm position in a 3-4, but fits into a 4-3 nicely.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

That's nothing compared with all the Tebow haters that live rent free in your head.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

..Satan plays on defense, I say we draft Satan:

"Jesus, Tebow, who's that huge dude with a tail, smoldering of sulfur , wearing #666 coming in??"

Hail Skins!!! Hail Satan!!!

Posted by: frak | March 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | March 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

It definitely bites. The freakin Pats and the Eagles will walk away from this draft with 4 starters.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

'Moss is counting on the Redskins using him the way Kyle Shanahan utilized Johnson. They know how to move you around and get you to the points, where you don't have to always worry about being on that island, being out there," Moss said. "I used to be out there sometimes and I was wondering, 'Help.' I get a cover-2 shell or something and there was no way out of it."

Moss is right about the offense being creative, he's wrong if he thinks they are going to use him as Andre Johnson. He should pay more attention to Kevin Walters role in Kyle's offense. Kelly and Thomas will fit the Dre' role.

Also, what exactly does he mean "there is no way out of a cover 2 shell." Is this the Offensive version of the double move?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | March 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

They always do. Small wonder they are always in the playoffs.

Vinny may no longer be in the building, but it will take a while for his venom to be drawn out of this organization...

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we'll actually run what's called a "fade pattern" this year, using one of our BIG WRs that we drafted JUST FOR THAT PURPOSE.

Wouldn't that be something?

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 26, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

touché PP, I'm no hater, but like I said before I don't really care if we get him or not, so long as it's not at 4

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:16 AM

there is a way out of a cover 2 it's called going down the middle deep or say hello to a LB going shallow. either way take a hit and hold on to the ball.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

In Houston, it's not just Andre or the scheme -- it's Matt Schaub. A 3rd round draftee (90th pick) by Atlanta out of UVA who illustrates the challenge of a better QB sitting behind a lesser one (in Schaub's case, Michael Vick). Houston gave up two seconds and swapped first round picks to get Schaub and then promptly cut David Carr to make it clear who their QB was. It's worked out very well.

Something similar is emerging in Philadelphia. The team suspects Kolb is a better QB than McNabb at this point, yet is reluctant to take a gamble. If they were losing the way Houston was, it would be a done deal -- they'd unload Donovan. But Philly worries McNabb still has another big year in him, and they don't want to leave a possible title on the table. Even if Kolb's is better, he's never been in a playoff situation, while Donovan has.

Back to Schaub -- in some ways he's similar to Campbell -- tall and strong, not as mobile but more composed in the pocket. Of course he has better blocking, but who doesn't in the NFL?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

When you've got a guy like JC17 throwing the ball, then yes.

"Cover 2 shell. Can't do nothin' about it."

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

..Satan plays on defense, I say we draft Satan:

Hail Skins!!! Hail Satan!!!

Posted by: frak | March 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

sh!t, I'm all for drafting Satan. He'd be a beast.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Santana, please just worry about catching the ball.

Posted by: TBDog | March 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

You are, after all, a "receiver."

Posted by: TBDog | March 26, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Michael: I am going to throw you this ball. When you catch the ball, I want you to say the name of a person very important to you, somebody really special who died, and then I want you to say how they died, and you may cry if you like, that is encouraged. Let me just start. Let me show you how this works. I catch the ball. I lost Ed Truck. And... it feels like somebody took my heart and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears... and at the same time, somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch with a frozen sledgehammer... and then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone... and I'm crying, and nobody can hear me, because I am terribly, terribly... terribly alone.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | March 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Deep middle is a definite yes and you're also supposed to be able to run against a cover 2 since the strong safety is back in coverage. Lucky for the defenses facing us we don't have the pass pro to throw deep middle nor do we have the run game to make the strong safety come back up into the box. So yeah, it is the offensive equivalent of the double move.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 9:55 AM

Zorn scoffs at a lot of stuff...like his play calling when he clearly "designed it to work"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I guess we all should just STFU and be thankful the lord made Tim Tebow.

And if you say anything against "He who is most high Tebow" be prepared to trade blows with "The Tebow Jizz Brigade".

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

All will be the same if the two young bucks don't learn how to run routes, stay on the field and get open. Cover two shells every Sunday for Moss until that happens.
At WR not sure the two kiddies are the answer. Keep looking KM you need some competition at the WR spots.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | March 26, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Especially when he 'calls' it to work, which is an important differentiation between the plays he calls to not work, in order to throw off the defense. I guess.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

If Zorn wrote a book about playcalling he would title it "If at first you don't succeed then run left again".

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Creed: I remember it was very late at night, like 11, 11:30. Big fella comes in screamin' about God knows what. I think maybe Halpert had stolen his car. [Angela rolls her eyes] Something like that. So the big fella pulls out a sock filled with nickels. Then Schrute grabs a can of hairspray and a lighter---
Angela: You're useless.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 26, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | March 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The really great QBs also beat the coverage by accurately dropping the ball into a soft spot of the zone over the head of the underneath defender but the throw is also fast/hard enough to get there before the safety can break it up. It takes a perfect blend of touch and arm-strength.

Guys like Favre and Brees do it.

We don't have a QB that has the stones or talent to pull off a throw like that.

Instead we get a checkdown.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"It would be nice to acquire more picks in this draft somehow. Having only 5 picks in the deepest and most talent filled draft in ages, really bites.Posted by: dfbovey"

This draft could be overrated. You want to look at a deep draft, try 2004.

This year there are some positions that seem quite deep in quality players (tackle and d-line), others not so much (WR, QB, RB).

Posted by: Samson151 | March 26, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

possibly the greatest quote/phrase Jim Zorn left us with.

Him defending his play calling by saying this kind of stuff was priceless.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 26, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"I want all the credit and none of the blame." -Michael Scott/Jim Zorn

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Subtitle: The tragic, untold story of SwingGate

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 26, 2010 10:31 AM

You meant that to be funny, but I think he really did that...I mean, that 'swinging gate' BS is far and away the stupidest play I've ever seen in ANY sport...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

You're totally right I mean why would our QB have trouble hitting a 5'11'' guy over a 6'0'' CB in an underneath zone? I mean anyone should be able to make that throw right? That's got to be a huge window. That couldn't possibly be why we want MK12 to be the possession receiver right? I know you're bored and you're just trying to start today's JC debate but I'm bored too so game on. Farve completes those passes to Sidney Rice and Brees has Marques Colston. Both are 6'4''.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Our 3rd and next year's 6th for McNAbb

Trade JC17 for a 3rd or 4th.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"I want all the credit and none of the blame." -Michael Scott/Jim Zorn

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:36 AM

Come to think of it, they could be the same guy. Have we ever seen them in the same place at the same time?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

You're right PA. I relent.

There is absolutely no reason to even attempt to complete that pass. It is doomed to fail from the outset. Why even try to make a play when you already know it is completely impossible?

Let's just stick with the check-downs.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Guys like Favre and Brees do it.

We don't have a QB that has the stones or talent to pull off a throw like that.

Instead we get a checkdown.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:33 AM

Two years ago, Favre threw 22 TDs and 22 INTs while the Jets missed the playoffs.

Last year, he threw 33 TDs and 7 INTs while guding the Vikes to the NFC Championship game.

Same player, different team.

Isn't it funny how other players seem to play a role in a QBs success?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

We don't have a QB that has the stones or talent to pull off a throw like that.

Instead we get a checkdown.

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:33 AM

I sense someone growing tired of the 1-2 yard gainer. What happened to playing for pride, playing to prove my ownership, my lame duck coach, the fans, my teamates the league wrong and that I'm a franchise QB. I'm going to ball out and just let it rip mentality. Maybe this year is the year.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Our 3rd and next year's 6th for McNAbb

Trade JC17 for a 3rd or 4th.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2010 10:41 AM

Now that is comedy gold. So many layers, like this years 3rd, Eagles, McNabb, and interdivision.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

to play the role of Andre Johnson in this offense.

Posted by: brownwood26

BW26- the real issue is who will play the slot receiver now that my namesake, ARE is gone. Kevin Walters is awesome for the Texans. I posted yesterday that Skins should consider Welker-like Jordan Shipley in 4th.

Posted by: ElYeah | March 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Santana might have some reason to be optimistic that he may soon have a bigger role in the Redskin offensive scheme... but ONLY IF the Redskins can GET A QB in there who is willing and able to get the ball to him. As it stands, incumbent QB and consumate loser JC17 couldn't find a wide open receiver if you spotted him a seeing eye dog equipped with a GPS system.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I guess we all should just STFU and be thankful the lord made Tim Tebow.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

and if you disagree with Red be prepared to be insulted by the wannabe bubblegum gangsta Obama slurping brigade.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

and interdivision.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 26, 2010 10:45 AM

It can happen if he that's the highest they can get for him. Our 3rd is at the top of the round......Eagles are looking for best value....It can happen with two open minded people such as BA/Shanny and their GM/Reid.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Dan LeFevour is on ESPN First Take doing some stupid "First Take Combine"...corny stuff but he's a pretty impressive guy. I think he'd look good in burgundy and gold...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 26, 2010 10:44 AM

Since when is a checkdown a bad thing? Doesnt that mean the qb has gone through his progressions and is taking what the defense has given him? Its funny the same people who say JC cant read a defense and go through his reads are the same ones complaining about checkdowns. If Favre or Brees did the same thing then they are brilliant for reading the defense and not forcing a throw. If JC does the same thing than he must be bailing out on the play. I think some of you would be happy if the skins continued to suck as long as we got a "gunslinger" for a qb

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, TBDog, what does that even mean? Santana all of a sudden isn't allowed to comment on the new offense in which he's gonna be utilized?

Some people make the most ridiculous comments

Posted by: -swb | March 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Lets hope Moss' effort is much higher than it has been the past few seasons. He has to cut down on the drops as well.

Still love the guy but he needs to step his game up just like CP does. Hes been slacking

Posted by: DMoney28 | March 26, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I've been hearing or reading a lot here lately how this player likes what, Coach Shanny is doing with the team. It leads me to believe that these guys quit on Zorn last season and that should scare the new coaches, because if it gets rough they will do the samething to Shanahan and his coaches.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 26, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

i watch just about every Texans game as I live in Galveston....

Moss is not and never will be as good as Andre Johnson.

Moss is good, but Johnson has skills that dwarf Moss'.

No hate here on Moss - just the facts.

Posted by: oldnova | March 26, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Man, I love 'Tana! Great to hear how excited he is by the new offense.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | March 26, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Will somebody please tell Santana Moss that he is not a number one receiver in the NFL, has not been, since the Jets drafted him, this guy has shrunk like the incredible Hulk in actual size, speed and productivity every year he,s been here, love to see him and sorry Campbell leave town for some real ball players.

Posted by: zimife1999 | March 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

When Moss says, "I will watch him - watch his film - and be able to be coached by just watching his film. You don't have to say a word to me. Some of us pick up like that. He don't have to say a word to me," is he implying he doesn't need to be coached? Just show me some film and I'll coach myself? Sounds a little too much that way.

He won't get open unless there are other receivers to worry about. We'll see how that pans out. And then there's the question of whether we have a quarterback who can complete more than an occasional throw down the field.

I think Shanahan truly doesn't know the answer to that question. Campbell didn't have enough time to do much throwing down the field. I suspect Shanahan is as eager to find out what he really can do as many of the rest of us are.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 26, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Andre Johnson is one of the 3 best receivers in the NFL. Unless the Redskins offensive line improves and Moss grows 6 inches and gains 30 pounds, he's not gonna be in the same stratosphere as Johnson...

Posted by: randysbailin | March 26, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

As a Skins fan living in Houston who catches every Texans game, let me tell you one thing: Santana Moss ain't no Andre Johnson. Johnson is bigger, stronger, and almost never drops the ball. He has no problem going across the middle of the field. And he has a quarterback who is significantly more experienced and talented than anybody on the Redskins roster.

Also, the Texans have a multitude of good receivers to take attention away from Johnson. Resigning Kevin Walter is huge for Houston.

Kyle Shanahan was a great play-caller in Houston for 80 yards. Once inside the red zone, he freezes. He called some plays that defied all logic last season. On top of that, he had some great offensive tools to work with, particularly in the passing game. It will be interesting to see how he does in Washington with fewer weapons.

Posted by: kemp13 | March 27, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Yea, but Santana Moss is no Andre Johnson.
Not even close.

Now, to balance my thought a bit.
I do heartily recognize that our WR could not put up big numbers last year because our OL was so horrible. The OL did not give JC enough time to go deep!!

Yet Moss is no Andre Johnson