Landry Puts Last Year's Play Behind Him

The hit will likely live forever on highlight reels, though not the ones recalling the career highlights of Redskins' safety LaRon Landry.

In last year's season opener, Landry went to tackle New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs. Instead, the 6-foot-4, 264-pound back lowered his shoulder and knocked Landry on his behind.

Said announcer John Madden when viewing the replay that night: "THAT is getting run over."

The play certainly remains in the mind of Landry, the third-year safety who remains one of Washington's most important defensive playmakers. And because it's "Giants Week," and the season opener, Landry was ready to answer the questions about it.

Asked if he had seen the clip, Landry nodded.

"Yeah, watched it a lot of times, over the break, after it happened," he said. "I don't really look at it too much [now]. That was my first game back, no excuses, but it's football, it happens."

Landry was asked if he had gone back to look at the play one more time.

"No, I don't need to watch that [stuff], I don't need to, I already got it on my mind."

Would it serve as motivation?

"[Forget] motivation, it's already on my mind."

But while Landry had not gone back to see the clip this week, it doesn't mean his teammates hadn't. Cornerback Carlos Rogers started laughing as soon as he heard Jacobs' name mentioned.

Surely his teammates hadn't resorted to teasing Landry about the poster moment.
"Yeah, joking on him about last year, youtubed it and see how he sat him on his butt," Rogers said. "It's been fun. Actually me, [Landry] and Smoot and DHall and Coach Blache actually were joking about it. But you know we got something for [Jacobs] this year, hopefully we can get him back, but he's a big boy."

While Landry's teammates were joking, his coaches were rather matter-of-fact. Said safeties coach Steve Jackson: "It happens to everybody. If you go to tackle somebody, sometimes you get run over. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield."

With the play on everybody's mind, the next thought was whether there would be a Round 2 -- another chance for Landry and Jacobs to meet one-on-one in the secondary. Surely, the Redskins coaches hope not.

When Landry was asked whether he would change his approach to the Giants' running back this year because of the hit, he immediately shot down the idea.

"I'm going to do the same thing I tried to do the first time," he said. "However it comes up, that's how it come up. I ain't gonna shy away from it. ... don't have a strategy I just go in there and hit. Mentality if you're a hitter or a tackler you got the mindset of just going there [and] doing whatever, make a disruption. ...

"He a powerful back. Probably got to hit him low, but ... I ain't going to shy away from the contact."

Rogers begged to differ.

"Nah, whatever situation you get in, you just got to take his legs out," he said. "That's where I'll be. I won't be nowhere up top, I'll be down there. ... [Landry will] be down there too, he won't be up there again. That's a big boy, he take out linebackers, he won't be up top."

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 10, 2009; 4:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Williams Surprised by 'Limited' Label
Next: Don't Expect Mitchell to Leapfrog Thomas

Comments

He needs to have a pro bowl year

Posted by: cj658 | September 10, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Landry's my boy, but does anyone get reminded of Deebo from Friday when they watch that clip?
"You got knocked the f** out!"

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

WTF??? Florio picking Redskins to make Super Bowl? He must have lost a bet.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just saw the hit.
Landry brought him down.
It was ugly, but he brought him down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I draw the line on being a homer there. The team has potential, but superbowl? No, don't think so.

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

At least Landry tripped him up while getting run over. He ended up preventing a longer run by throwing his body at him like that.

Posted by: laxpro95 | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield."

Nice Mark Knopfler reference Mr. Jackson

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Fiji has mean streets? Wait..Fiji has streets?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 4:43 PM

Dude, I am from Fiji. Thinking about taking a vacation there next August with the family.

Posted by: TheJury | September 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

greg, just trying to remind peeps to verify PFT reports before following up with a comment. plus someone once posted "please post a link" on here.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 4:53 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow not only does Florio pick the skins but no one else in the NFC East gets in. I like it!

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just saw the hit.
Landry brought him down.
It was ugly, but he brought him down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

...which is something that all of the talking heads who went "oooh, look at that!" seemed to miss. Landry got the worst of it, for sure, but Jacobs did go down. Props to our boy LL!

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

curz, I wont lie, that cut me deep....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And you know LL is a hitter.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

JReid: What is your main motivation going into this game?
Landry: On the record, yeah, it was the hit, but can I can be real real for a sec?
JReid: Be real real, son.
Landry: I mean can I be real real?
JReid: Be real real, son.
Landry: The dude dissed Big Al, man. I don't play that s**
JReid: Say word is bond the dude dissed Big Al.
Landry: THE DUDE DISSED BIG AL!!!

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but Florio has the Bengals in the playoffs & not the Ravens. Such a shame, crack is whack he just needs to put the pipe down.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"[Forget] motivation, it's already on my mind." - LaRon Landry

That is the quote of the year so far.

Great stuff from Durty Thurty.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2009 4:55 PM

I had to look twice to see this wasn't a beantowngreg post. Then I had to look it up myself. Man -- you were right. Woo-hoo! Power rankings!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"But, hey, if I end up being right, you'll never hear the end of it." Mike Florio

Now where have I seen this comment??

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

WTF??? Florio picking Redskins to make Super Bowl? He must have lost a bet.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 4:48 PM

My pick are the Redskins and Chargers.

Posted by: TheJury | September 10, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

curz, I wont lie, that cut me deep....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 4:58 PM

But you got thick skin after that beating you took up here this morning from brownwood.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

But the play will live in INFINY....

I have seen this play ATLEAST 25 times this week alone....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Between Landry, Smoot, and Hall, you have to think we've got the feistiest (is that a word?) bunch of DBs in the league, easily. I mean, these guys exude confidence and they wanna throw down on somebody.

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah... LOL at that bama dude Red...U Got me Joe!

Also, 'Joe' is only used for those between 24 - 45ish. Kids younger than 24 now use 'Son/Sun'. I will NEVER use that cuz that's some NYC ish.

I still use 'young' too, but only when I get mad....If I start using young, SJK is getting serious. You better try to defuse the situation quickly, young......

Bumpin was sooo early 80s and the BAma dude who mention it needs to leave the 80s behind.

Dem Bamas be.....Hands Up, Not get your hands up!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

One response to Florio's picking the Redskins to make the Super Bowl:

"My God, Florio, this may be as poor of a prediction that I have ever seen. How can you say that the only team to make the playoffs out of the NFC East are the Skins? The NFC North bringing two to the table? Good God man, you may have some good stories and rumors to tell the world, but you have clearly debacled the predictions end of it. Hopefully Curran works close enough to you to slap you in the back of your head."

I actually agree with that analysis of the East - Both PHL and NYG have had serious losses in both coaches and players, and it's time for the Eagles to come back to earth a little bit; as to the 'Girls - it is utterly unbelievable that Wade Phillips is still their coach; that, right there, guarantees me that they will be no better than 8-8 this year.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

And that dude 4th... what a bama. This bama waits until I have to take a min or two so I can justify my compensation, and he pulls a bama move like that.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 4:24 PM |

Even at min wage a gump like u is overpaid.

Posted by: TubularBells | September 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

Once again, in 2009, brought to you by the fine purple people at Yahoo!

Part 1

Tell me the basics, ZEKE:

"Barring injuries". The disclaimer that is so prevalent, most people don't even bother with it anymore. And yet, the story of the 2009 Redskins will be told by injuries. This team has 12-4 talent. But it also has KNOWN injury risks that haven't been addressed.

We have a very good defense that could easily step into greatness. Worth 6 wins even if the offense never even shows up. If the offense does show up and stays healthy, this team could easily win 12. With a few good surprises, 14 wins isn't out of the question. Am I saying this team has Super Bowl talent? Yes I am.

The offense has considerable talent. Portis, Moss, Samuels and Cooley are all very good players. The young WRs made enough progress to be taken seriously, and that is valuable to this team.

The QB is solid. The OL is the key to this story.

The special teams are likely to be better. Both kicker and punter will be improve, though keeping ARE as the PR is a mystery that concerns me in more ways than one.

The schedule we play is tough enough. By my count, we play 8 games vs teams that won 8 or 9 games in 2008, 4 games against 10 or more win teams. And 4 against teams that stunk in 2008.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES Part 2

A bit more detail, ZEKE:

On defense, the preseason caused me to adjust my expectations slightly downward. The defense seemed to play as less than the sum of its parts. Landry, in particular, looked out of position as the free safety. The known injury risks here are Albert, Rocky and Rogers. London Fletcher hasn't suffered many injuries along the way, but his age may make him more susceptible to injury. Still, our depth on defense will cover up a few dings. The upside for this defense is substantial. If it pulls it together, it is in the same class as the Steelers and Ravens. Is this a championship caliber defense? If they play up to their talent level, absolutely.

The offense is really where this team will succeed or fail. The most important player on our entire team is Santana Moss. When healthy, Moss is among the top 10 WRs in the league (and would be top 5 if he didn't have so many drops), giving the Skins a dangerous passing threat that defenses must address. But once his hammy tweaks, he's more like the 50th best WR and the Skins offense becomes very limited.

But nothing is more critical to this team that the OL. Many have suggested the OL is not very talented. Not true. Its adequate, maybe even good -- capable of supporting a playoff team. Barring injuries.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 10, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES Part 3

My perspective on the OL isn't unique, but since it IS the key to the season, it has to be addressed. Almost the entire OL is suspect. I subscribe to the weakest link theory ... defenses will find ways to put their top guy on our weakest link. We're facing lots of great DL guys and if we have multiple weak links, it'll be trouble. The OL is the equivalent of a car engine for this team. When a car starts blowing engine parts, its not long before the whole jalopy comes to a halt. A valve here and a gasket there. Or in this case, Thomas, Heyer and Samuels. I wrote these names down at the start of camp and it comes as no surprise that all 3 have had health issues already. It feels like a case of 'when', not 'if' our OL starts to crumble. Our OL depth is frightening. That said, there are available guys like runyan (though news is pending on that front) and Kendall that are worthy stopgaps. If we need to prop up our OL, it maybe with guys like this -- not the guys on our current roster. Can an OL of Samuels, Dock, Rabach, Kendall and runyan get us into the playoffs? Yes it can. That line is also capable of winning playoff games. Vinny and the Stopgaps. Sounds like a singing group.

I won't belabor the QB issue, Campbell is a fine QB if he has time to throw the ball. Behind Moss, the WRs are OK as long as Moss is healthy. Kelly or ARE as a #1 WR? Not a pretty sight. But we've improved a lot from last year, when James Thrash was our #3 guy. Portis is a very good RB, but he can only succeed if the OL is solid in front of him. Of course, one of these years, Portis will go out there and he'll have nothing to give. I don't expect that year to be 2009, but its never easy to predict.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 10, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES Part 4

How about the coach, ZEKE:

Thanks for bringing it up. This heavy sigh is for you, Jim Zorn. I've not been impressed with some of the decisions you've made. "Just say no" to ARE returning punts. Set the WRs so there is plenty of time for the primary packages to prepare -- but that was weeks ago and you waited and waited and waited. The wait helped no one. Except our opponents. I understand the desire to use Betts more. But 3rd down? Have your money guy in on 3rd down. His name is Portis. Plus, if things go bad at some point, this isn't the character locker room of recent seasons. Zorn struggled with handling character issues last season, it might be tougher this year. Suffice to say, I'm not sold on Jim Zorn.

Bottom line it ZEKE:

Defense gets 6 wins, the health of the offense dictates whether we get 6 more wins. If the OL holds up for 16 games, 12-4. If it holds up for 8 games, 9-7. If it falls apart early on, 7-9. My guess, this OL starts blowing a gasket about the halfway point and 2009 feels a lot like 2008. 9-7. But if Vinny and the Stopgaps come through, 11-5.

And that's a wrap on the season opener edition of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, once again, in 2009, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Im calling 10-6...

even better if there are no serious injuries. Skins will be the dark horse in the NFC.

Me thinks they are not quite SB caliber, but they will be very good this year.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

We will be much improved, but injuries will be our undoing again.

We need the deep depth to make it in this division. We're one or two seasons away (aren't we always?).

Just hoping we're good enough so that we don't blow it up and start all over again.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

TheJury, you're from Fiji!? That's terrific. Where do you live now?

For the record, I love our Fijian neighbor, but he does crack me up when he calls me "Joe." Which he does every time he sees me, no matter how many times I've gently corrected him ("Erm, uh, yeah, it's Nate"). He's ethnically Indian... I guess there was a big upheaval a few decades back when most of the ethnic Indians left Fiji, and he and his wife came to the States.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice Zeke. Not much to argue with on your perspective.

Who do you propose return punts instead of ARE? Both Moss and Hall are too valuable to their units to be full-time PRers. Not sure that DT can or has before. Same for Tryon.

Who would be your pick?

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

11-5 is doable.

I think the Skins will suprise a lot of people this year.

Like the ZEKE says, "Offense Line" is the key.

Posted by: TheJury | September 10, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Glawrence: I disagree with the overall feeling that the season rests on the O-line. I actually think the O-line will be the pleasant surprise of the year, and they will hold up just fine. Just my gut feeling.

I think the key to success this season rests on the secondary. Yes, the secondary. I do not believe Carlos is 100%. And I am not sold on D-Hall, way overpaid. Both he and Rogers are good corners, but by no means are they great. Snyder gave D-Hall “shut-down corner” money. We will have to see. We are also very thin in the secondary. One or two injuries, and we could easily see Tryon or Barnes having to start. Now that’s a scary thought.

Posted by: cj658 | September 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you're right about the o-line. We'll see soon enough. And I second your take on our corners. I said many articles back (wasn't it just yesterday) that I felt our 1st pick next year would be a corner not an offensive tackle. #2 pick for the tackle. Another tackle in the fourth as we now have JEREMY JARMON for the third - a great pick in my estimation. And an elite kicker in FA. With four newbie playa's next year we should go deep into the playoffs. But maybe we'll have success this year. PLAX and T.O. are both gone. Another valid point made by cj658. You get the props and a boost from me cj. Good post.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

TheJury, you're from Fiji!? That's terrific. Where do you live now?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 5:40 PM

I live in CA. Been here for over 30 years now.

Posted by: TheJury | September 10, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

JoeinthePDX -- Ethnic Indians are still there in big numbers, but TheJury can 'splain it to you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Posted by: TheJury | September 10, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

9-7. RANDY THOMAS is already on one leg. RINEHART? Well, let's see what you got bro'. BTW, that little bit of chin music you got going looks BA-A-A-D-D-D, and that's good. Here's hope your play is the same.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Got something for Jacobs sounds good... like a big L to take home to chew on for awhile

Posted by: ElYeah | September 10, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Nobody would have guessed last year when we beat the Cards that they would end up in the Super Bowl either. We have been an average team the last several years, it wouldn't take much to go right for us to get hot at the end of the season and make a run..Ya gotta Believe Brother!!

Posted by: scottmando | September 10, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the video:

Yeah he took a hit, so what! 10 other Redskins whiffed, if he didn't take the hit he would have scored on that play. Whats worse, taking the hit, or pulling a Dione Sanders whiff.

Posted by: ccwbambam | September 10, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts on 30:

1) Am I the only one that feels like he's been on the team more than 2 yrs? I guess a lot has happened during those two years, mostly bad to awful (i.e., 21)

2) I like Laron and want him to be great. I think he has the tools to be very good to excellent. But to me he is overrated/average at this point in his career. I understand he is somewhat out of position but if you're that physical and run a 4.4, you need to step up and be a stud.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 10, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the hit...most important Laron stopped the guy...but even I might have been able to knock Laron down on that play - why? look at his feet - he was out of position. His feet were too far forward...he wasn't balanced and in that position he had to go down...But i'll bet Laron knew he wasn't in the best position to hit Jacobs - BUT he hit him anyway - kudos for the courage !

Posted by: Jim31 | September 10, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

hells yes, kudos for the courage, i'm sorry... you know when you're out of balance and going to get knocked down, Landry knew, but he stopped him from a surething touchdown, i kinda get mad when i realize this is never talked about, look at the footage... he was GONE! unless landry trips him up, yeah he got run over, but saved a TD, thats what you do on defense, even in baseball you block the ball with your body no matter how much it hurts, it looked bad but he stopped the play, f'in espn and their HITS highlight reel don't stop to dissect the play and its actual importance, looking back Landry was the man on that play

Posted by: destewar | September 11, 2009 2:35 AM | Report abuse

landry is so angry
hopefully he knows how to translate that to conrtolled violent football
that's what you need to win championships

Posted by: BMACattack | September 11, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

rabach at center is a liability I was hoping that montgomery(a free agent back-up who made the team)would challenge him. too many times I have seen rabach make critcal mistakes during drives, and he can get hog-whipped one on one against interior line-men(his weight is 293) talk about bringing back kendall is a JOKE" he has 2 bad knees and can't practice during the week and horrble in run blocking, getting stood up and blown back off the line.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 11, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse