Landry's hit-or-miss season

Late last season, LaRon Landry started to develop a reputation as being an enforcer at the free safety position, and the 2007 first-round draft pick entered this year expected to have a breakout season.

Instead, Landry has been criticized at times for his penchant for lining up receivers for a knockout hit instead of securing and wrapping up the player, and that bad habit cost the Redskins again Sunday.

With 11 minutes, 30 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter and the Redskins holding an eight-point lead, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb connected with wide receiver Jason Avant over the middle. Landry lined Avant up for a big hit, but the Eagles' receiver bounced off and sprinted down the field for a 46-yard gain that moved the Eagles to the Redskins' 44-yard line.

"He made a great catch," Landry said. "I bounced off. You seen it like I saw it. He just made a great play."

The play helped spark the Eagles' game-tying drive, but when asked if he wished he had done something differently Landry was noncommittal.

"I mean, I was just trying to make a play," Landry said. "It wasn't my responsibility. I was just at the right place at the right time when he made the catch."

Landry was also involved in one of the key plays early in the game when Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson hauled in a 35-yard touchdown pass.

Jackson burned the Redskins for two big touchdowns when the two teams met at FedEx Field earlier this season, and was a focus for the defense entering the game. On the play, however, the second-year receiver ran past cornerback Fred Smoot, who appeared to be playing a zone, and was alone by several yards when he caught the ball.
Landry, who was in front of Jackson covering another receiver, was the closest defender and he called the play a "miscommunication" and said it was "something we need to correct."

"It all depends on what the play call was," Landry said. "The play that was called, you just -- like I said, miscommunication. They found a hole in it. Then, also it was a scramble, guys just got to find a man to lock on. ... When a play breaks down and he scrambles, you just got to lock on, like man-to-man, basically."

By Paul Tenorio and Barry Svrluga  |  November 29, 2009; 6:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins can't stop Eagles' late drive, fall to 3-8
Next: Fletcher's hit leaves Jackson with concussion

Comments

If Zorn was responsible for playing it safe and taking that field goal, his a$$ should be canned tomorrow

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 29, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It seems more like a hit and miss style lately.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The biggest contributors to this loss:

Again this week, the secondary mysteriously letting the other team's receivers run right past them wide open for huge gains and touchdowns. And of course - their hallmark, poor tackling. I hope Jerry Grey gets a job somewhere next year, it ain't working out around here. Head coaching candidate my Ass.

Jason's two INT's before halftime giving the Iggles 6 points and momentum they certainly did not deserve.

And finally, once again this week, not being able to produce ANYTHING on O late in the fourth. We got the ball with a little over 7 minutes and with around two minutes. ALL WE NEEDED WAS 3 FRIGGEN POINTS!!!! Instead, we get two 3-and-outs. I don't care about JC 17's stats. I DON'T CARE. He'll make an excellent back up somewhere, but he's obviously no leader.

All of this we have seen before, yet none of it we have the power to improve. How can this be???

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

landry is a strong safety so let's play him there... did you see down near the goal line make 2 tackles... he is a better player near the line of scrimmage...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 29, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

firing Zorn wont happen.. .Snyder would have to pay the buyout price for Zorn (6 mil). Snyder would prefer the season end and not renew the option on Zorn at no charge AND acquire a great Draft position as an upside.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 29, 2009 6:19 PM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | November 29, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, I was just trying to make a play," Landry said.

He was trying to make a highlight reel play. There's no excuses there, it doesn't matter if Avant made a great catch, you TACKLE the guy like a normal defender does. He needs to stop trying to make sportscenter's top 10 and just make the smart play.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 29, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

the sad thing is that they will play the same way next week and the week after and so on.....conservative....2-3 yard passes....not willing to take shots downfield. This is a scared offensive coaching staff

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 29, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett

Completely true, unfortunately this team likes to change player's positions. I know it wasn't completely their fault b/c of Sean Taylor, but when Laron was playing strong safety he was a lot better, but nonetheless, he should know how to tackle...

Posted by: rachel216 | November 29, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Landry said, "I mean, I was just trying to make a play. It wasn't my responsibility." This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of the Redskins' marque players. No accountability by either the players or the coaches equals a 3-8 record. The following divas need to be traded for 2010 draft picks: Laron "I'd rather make a NFL network highlight reel than make a tackle" Landry, Portis the Tortoise, Carlos " I Can't Cover or Catch" Rogers, Captain Choke Campbell, Chris "I hate to see you go but Fred Davis is playing really well in your absence" Cooley.

Posted by: returntoglory | November 29, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

landry said it was a "miscommunication and it needs to be corrected." here's how you correct it, blache needs to stop calling the zone defense. make the corners stick to their man and allow the safeties to play over the top. too little discipline w/ our db's

Posted by: charronegro1971 | November 29, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"It wasn't my responsibility."

really?

this attitude right here is why we are 3 - 8 folks.

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 29, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

greatteamdan hit it right on the head. "It wasn't my responsibility" is the reason we are 3-8.

Posted by: eedchic | November 29, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the skins put Landry on the trading block this coming off-season.

This guy can't/won't tackle effectively, and on the rare occasion he does, he jumps around and flexes like he just made the most magnificent play in football history.

I loved Sean 21's play. When the home-run hit was there, he made it; but when it wasn't there, he'd just get the guy down. Period. Next play.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 29, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Landry will be better once Blache and Gray are gone

Posted by: coparker5 | November 29, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

This guy stinks. His attitude stinks (as demonstrated by the interview), his discipline stinks (he's had what, 1 decent game this season?), his communication on the field stinks (we give up more big plays this season than I've ever seen), his fundamentals stink (can anyone count the misses he's had without a Cray supercomputer?).

Go back and watch the early season post-game loss interviews with D Hall. He references some young players "who act like they've made it when they haven't accomplished anything in this league". Now try and guess who he's talking about...

Laron will get a wake-up call when the next coach arrives. For some reason Zorn/Blache/Gray don't want to ruin LL's fantasy that he's still at LSU and still a top player.

With any luck, an attitude adjustment and movement to the SS position will help save him from official draft bust. In the meantime, he stinks.

Posted by: sgmd | November 30, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I agree with SGMD. Landry is highly overrated. He thinks he's a big hitter and he's not. He tries to play like the late 21 and he needs to stop. Taylor had the size and strenght to pull that off, Landry not so much. This dummy needs to take tackling 101 from Doughty and Fletcher. Wrap up when you need to and lay the lumber when it there to lay.

It might be out of the question, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading Landry for draft picks, and then have Horton as the FS and keep Doughty as the SS.

Posted by: irishman20601 | November 30, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love Laundry passing the buck, "It wasn't my responsibility. I was just at the right place at the right time when he made the catch."

Dan Snyder for President!

Posted by: tony11 | November 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse