Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

LaRon Landry has no doubt he will play again this season

By Jason Reid

Strong safety LaRon Landry, among the leading vote-getters for the Pro Bowl despite an Achilles' tendon injury that has sidelined him for weeks, said Thursday he plans to return to the lineup this season because "you can't hold a competitor down."

"I'm just trying to get back on the field. I mean, you can't hold a competitor down. That's how I feel. I'm anxious to get back on the field. I want to compete and I want to finish it off strong."

Despite missing the last three games, the four-year veteran is 19th in the league with 66 unassisted tackles, according to the NFL's Game Statistics Information System. He is 22nd with 85 tackles and unassisted tackles combined.

Landry still has a comfortable lead among the NFC's strong safeties in fan voting for the Pro Bowl.

"As far as Pro Bowl votes, and everything like that, I'm really just focusing on getting back on the field, man," Landry said. "If I don't get back on the field, ain't nothing possible."

The Redskins host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday at FedEx Field. Landry hopes to be in the starting lineup for the first time since the embarrassing 59-28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 10.

"Like I said, I'm taking it a day at a time," Landry said. "I'm looking forward to playing this Sunday. We'll see. I mean, I want to finish what I started. I want to be with my team and battle with those guys as a family."

After struggling last season, Landry has thrived under defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who said Landry was among the league's best defensive players in the first half of the season.

"Last year is nonexistent to me," he said. "Last year was a terrible season as a whole for me. I'd rather not talk about it. As far as this year, I feel like the best is yet to come.

"I'm down on my myself. Kind of frustrated with myself [because of the injury], knowing how it [his season] started off. It only could have progressed. To have this injury happen, it's pretty hurtful."

But when asked whether there was as chance he would not return this season, Landry said, "Never."

By Jason Reid  | December 9, 2010; 12:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Insider Live: Redskins-Bucs preview
Next: Mike Shanahan hopes Josh McDaniels bounces back

Comments

Without him, Los and Fat Al, the Skinz wuz all but doomed against the Giants rushing attack..One step closer to Cam , though..

Posted by: frak | December 9, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It will be good to see Landry back out there patrolling the LOS.

I thought this was kinda funny from earlier:

"Moreover, Redskins coaches said they decided to play Haynesworth primarily in the nickel packages to most benefit the team. He struggled in the Okie but was effective rushing the passer, so coaches figured playing him in the nickel made the most sense. Haynesworth may contend that the decision on how to deploy him was made by the coaches."

Given our unprecidented success on first and second downs stopping the run, I would say EVERYONE was having trouble with the Okie Fanockie D.

Posted by: edvar | December 9, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"You're going to wear this uniform with PRIDE. You're now a member of the WASHINGTON REDSKINS, and there's a lot of responsibility that goes along with that. Don't you ever forget it."

-Vince Lombardi

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 9, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I want him to play...I don't think he should.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

unless Rex is put in to run the 2 minute drill. Then Tampa needs to worry.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 9, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that's our 2-minute-drill specialist!!!

I do hope we win, but I'm not getting my hopes up. And I'm definately NOT talking about playoffs! I just hope we can win a game!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Although there is a risk Landry could suffer a ruptured tendon that would require him to sit out as much as a year if he returns before he is completely healed, he said before practice Thursday that he is "really not putting that in my mind right now, the chance of rupturing it."

"I'm just trying to get back on the field. I mean, you can't hold a competitor down."

Okay, this is stupid.

What is the risk? What is the reward?

Risk = Losing Landry for a year.
Reward = Basically nothing - except for maybe padding some stats, being that we have no chance of making the playoffs.

Sit him down coach.

Saving face is not worth the risk of losing him next season, and certainly not worth the risk of him sustaining the kind of injury from which he may never fully recover and be able to perform at an elite level again.

Posted by: edvar | December 9, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

unless Rex is put in to run the 2 minute drill. Then Tampa needs to worry.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 9, 2010 12:45 PM

Imagine if Rex was a competent backup QB--there might have actually been a QB controversy this year...

As it is, no matter how bad McNabb is playing, we know Sexy Rexy can F it up a lot worse!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 9, 2010 12:49 PM
=================
this isnt a surprise to anyone.. but I think Shanahan dropped more notches than he realizes in "player respect" when he pulled McNabb in Detroit. Especially given he couldnt give a consistent explanation twice on why he did it.
The look on McNabbs face, on the sideline, was priceless.. pretty much "WTF". And the tv commentators asking the sideline reporter to determine the severity of DMac's injury ... because they couldnt believe there was any other reason.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 9, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know. It looks like I just contradicted myself there - primarily because I did.

I didn't read the article very closely the first time....

D'oh!

Posted by: edvar | December 9, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I want him to play...I don't think he should.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

You were supposed to say 'I want him to play', and I was supposed to say 'I don't think he should'. Way to go, keep this up and people really will think we are one person!

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I want him to play...I don't think he should.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:04 PM
================
Sir, I said, we stop serving breakfast at 10:30 a.m.. Its now 10:31.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 9, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I want him to play...I don't think he should.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:04 PM

I'm not crazy ...and neither am I!

Posted by: edvar | December 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"One day he asked me who was running the team when we did laps. I told him it was me. He (Lombardi) looked at me with his big grin and said, 'Don't you lie to me, Jurgensen', and we both started laughing"

-Sonny Jurgensen

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 9, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I want him to play...I don't think he should.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:04 PM

I'm not crazy ...and neither am I!

Posted by: edvar | December 9, 2010 1:10 PM

Haha...didn't realize that sounded so nuts until EVERYONE brought it to my attention...PlayAction is having an off day...trying to figure out which ravens bar is going to show our game on sunday.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

this is a good AH article that hits both sides and explains my perspective better than I will ever do

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 9, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

BTW...there was supposed to be a bad word before "ravens bar"

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It's all good, I got your back!

I'll sneak you into the monestary again if the NERDS at the Sh*tty Ravens Bar give you a hard time.

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, would also like to see Landry play again this season -- that is, presuming that he is fully healed and not risking further injury.

Like the fabled warrior that this nasty little tendon is named after, a bad achilles tendon can bring down the mightiest fighter -- and for good too.

While I appreciate Landry's drive to get back out there, perhaps the Reverend Miracle Mike could lay his healing hands on him -- and suggest he might just want to wait another week until we're sure the dude is ready to go full speed.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"Sit him down coach.

Posted by: edvar "

Yeah, this sounds like Portis pre-season-ending injury redux all over again, he and London are the leaders of this defense, the entire team reacts to the hard-nosed energy he brings to the field, if Shanahan and Haslett put him in prematurely and he ruptures, there's going to be some real fan Mutiny On The Shanny...

Posted by: frak | December 9, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM

Cool thanks...they're showing the Giants/Vikes instead of the skins wtf?

Who's going to be the first to click pabrian's link...not me!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

This is the kind of situation that the skins generally f up.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 9, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM

Cool thanks...they're showing the Giants/Vikes instead of the skins wtf?

Who's going to be the first to click pabrian's link...not me!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:35 PM
=================
i clicked on it... it was something about Oprah swearing she wasn't gay????

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 9, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, i read that article and disagreed w/ hruby's assessment of the situation

i dont think fans are looking to scapegoat anybody, i think he is missing the point

i think as an organization we are trying to become respectable again and the moves we've made over the last decade obviously have not worked

the organization is trying to find a rhythm to get into to get back on track

it's not one person who we are looking to scapegoat, it's the whole shabang in general that's not working, the organization just can't find that rhythm to be legit again, it's just not that easy once you get off track from the beginning

it takes a year to get into shape and a week to get out of it

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 9, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM

Oh...and how did you know it was "sh*tty" that got blocked? Are you the Blog Owner? haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to be the first to click pabrian's link...not me!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought it would be a virus!!! You click on it, then all you see is a soup can labeled 'New Soup' getting crushed over and over and over!!!

If McNabb ever goes missing I know who the prime suspect is......

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:29 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

No, I just pretend to know everything like some people on here, not mentioning any names!

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Still don't understand why people are calling Bruce Smith a "failure", bust, or whatever... dude was one of the more productive free agents signed during the Snyder-era.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 9, 2010 12:17 PM

STAMPED....And Sean Gilbert netted us 2 1st round draft picks after one productive season and sitting out a season....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 9, 2010 12:28 PM

They seemed like bad moves at the time. Since then the bust bar has been moved way up.

Posted by: mack1 | December 9, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to be the first to click pabrian's link...not me!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought it may be a "Rick-Roll" then I realized Pabrian is not clever enough to pull that off.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 9, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to be the first to click pabrian's link...not me!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 9, 2010 2:03 PM

LOL...either way...it's too risky...good thing we had the daring retroskins to sum it up.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward though, to the return of Heads Off Landry, the mighty hunter, and the return of his mighty Elk-Dog Medicine to the defense...

Posted by: frak | December 9, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope he doesn't snap that tendon while playing in the pro-bowl.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 9, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is holding to his true self, just like he was in Denver. He controls the whole team and doesn't let anyone slip through without earning his respect. Once you earn his respect your in. Its that simple, Shanahan is setting the standard in D.C. and players, fans, and media just can't handle it.

I'm behind Coach Shanahan. Well.....at for now.

This team has been in such shambles for so long, Joe Gibbs couldn't even clean it up. We almost made it with Shottenheimer but Vinny and Dinny pulled the plug on that one. I'm not so sure we shouldn't have kept Norv around. Anyways, players win games and our player/personnel decisions over the past ten years was horrible. It will take time.

My link shot from pabrian took me to the pillsbury dough boy melting in the humidity overflow from Shanahan's office.

Posted by: Rando | December 9, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 9, 2010 1:51 PM

Irregardless you're way smarter than me...I'm Tweedledum after all.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 9, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse