LaRon Landry: 1st half defensive MVP?

By Jason Reid

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett recently said that strong safety LaRon Landry could be the NFL's defensive most valuable player for the first half of the season.

Landry said he appreciates the support.

"That was good for me, just to have my coordinator thinking of me like that," Landry said after practice the other day at Redskins Park. "It makes me feel good for what I bring to the table and what I'm trying to do to help the team."

Although tackles are not an official statistic, Landry leads the league with 60 unassisted tackles and has been credited with 76 overall, according to the NFL's Game Statistics Information System and NFL.com.

With seven passes defensed, Landry is tied for 23rd in the league. His interception during overtime in Week 5 against the Green Bay Packers led to place kicker Graham Gano's game-winning 33-yard field goal.

Finally in a system that suits his skills, the fourth-year player is thriving. Landry is doing so well that he has erased his disappointing 2009 season from his mind.

"That's not even in my mental Rolodex. I didn't even have a third year," Landry said. "That's completely gone. That said, you know, I really don't get caught up in all the praise. You know that one snap, one play will mess everything up.

"It could be an injury, a blown coverage, missed tackle with a game on the line. Whatever. I'm just trying to help the team win, I set my own personal goals, and that's just what I'm trying to do."

By Jason Reid  | November 9, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, LaRon Landry
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: James Davis could make this week's roster
Next: Clinton Portis says he hopes to play Monday night vs. Eagles

Comments

Either way, the likelihood that the Redskins will have all the pieces in place to be long term contenders in 2012 is high, as long as they continue with the current strategy. Meanwhile we should expect to see a respectable but not great team for the rest of this year and next year.

Posted by: kaasmaster

I am not sure how you are confident they are going to have the pieces in place to be contenders in 2012 and beyond. For starters finding a franchise qb is extremely difficult. Just because they draft a QB in the first round of next years draft does not mean the guy is going to pan out. They are also going to be in the middle of the draft so they will not have their choice of QBs. Even they do get a franchise QB they have a ton of holes and not many draft picks. The oline needs a complete overhaul with the exception of Twilliams. There is nothing at WR other than Moss who is a free agent. RB is collection of cast offs. So on offense they are set at two spots. On defense they have Landry, Orakpo, Hall, Kareem and Alexander. Only Landry and Orakpo are above average players. I don't see Haynesworth sticking next year much less into 2012. I am interested in hearing how you think they are going to fill all of those holes in two off seasons with limited draft picks? Free agency may provide a player or two but is certainly not a way to build a team to be a consistent contender.

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 9, 2010 6:15 AM

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 9, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Geez, didn't we already have a post like this? And didn't we come to the conclusion that the guy with 6 picks and 2 TDs is the MVP of the first half of the year? Landry's having a big year, and probably has a better long-term prospect here but damn...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

As good as Landry's played the honor clearly belongs to Clay Matthews. Hopefully Landry gives him a run for his money in the second half of the season.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | November 9, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Landry's status is small solace for a team ranked 31 out of 32 in total defense, playing .500 ball. I'll remember this season as the Year of LaRon (kinda like the summer of George).

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 9, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on Clay Matthews, he brings it.

Sure would be nice to have a pass rush like the Steelers. Bringing pressure like they do causes all kinds of problems and leads to lots of turnovers. Hope we can develop into that kind of 3-4.

Posted by: cosmofla | November 9, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

It's funny to see Cowpies fans pining for Cowher...as if that guy will touch that place with a 10 foot pole...

If he's not in Carolina in two months, I'll be stunned.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Agreed Brown,

Cower would never go to Dallas he would have no control.

He will be the new overall boss in Carolina at the end of the year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Right Flound...my money is on Norv finding his way back to Dallas. He was neck and neck with Wade for that gig to begin with. If SD continues to underachieve, they should clean house...and free Norv up to bring his particular brand of suck back to Dallas.

Cowher to Carolina, Gruden to San Fran. All 3 moves make way too much sense...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

"Cower would never go to Dallas he would have no control."

People said the same thing about Shanahan and Dan Snyder.

Guys like Jerry Jones and Snyder have to hit the bottom for them to change their approach to handling certain aspects of their business. I believe that given Cowher's success if Jerry Jones were to offer him a job it'll mean that he's taking a backseat and will let Cowher make the personnel decisions. If not Cowher, then Jones will hire a GM (probably some dude you never heard of with a successful organization like Baltimore or Pittsburgh) that Cowher feels that he could trust and work with. Much like how Snyder hired Bruce Allen, then turned and hired Shanahan to be his coach.

I know you all being vehement Dallas Cowboy haters it's the last thing you want to hear but it can happen.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it did too.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

The only problem that Jerry is going to have with Norv is that they have hit rock bottom and the fans will not put up with another puppet coach.

Jerry is going to have to go after a big name and at least give him some room to work. He could also go the college rout again with Harbaugh who wants to get into the NFL like his brother.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26 & Flounder21,
I wouldn't underestimate the power of money. Cowher isn't the same young coach that took over the head coaching job in Pittsburgh. The guy has to be thinking about getting his before the opportunities run dry. JJ will wave a terribly big mountain of money under his nose and that will be hard to resist.

Remember, Joe Gibbs said he was done with football, but then Snyder found the magic number in greenbacks. It's a sad cliche - because it is an ugly truth about human nature - but everyone has their price. I think JJ will find Cowher's.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

question at half way mark of the season,

would the redskins take care of the seahawks the same way the giants did sunday in seattle ? I don't think so, and it's now the giants and the saints who look like they'll make it to the nfc championship game. not giving up hope though - HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I never give up hope. Even if there's a FIRE!

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Remember Full Metal Jacket - when Ermy's on top of the climbing obstacle and Pyle's trying to go over top and can't make it. Ermy starts in with - THEN QUIT, QUIT, you bleep bleep, get the F down off my obstacle. That's what the cowgirls did they needed someone on the sidelines berating them like that. But of course I want them to suk, so F dallas, give em hearts and flowers.

Posted by: outsourced_in_va | November 9, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Red,

I agree I think the Cowboys have hit rock bottom and jerry knows he has to make a major change.

He needs to hire a GM or a coach who has that power, he has done this in the past now how long it will last is another question.

Cower has been waiting for the Carolina job and it will be his at the end of the year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I never give up hope. Even if there's a FIRE!

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 8:08 AM |

hess, could you elaborate ?

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Cowher to Carolina, Gruden to San Fran. All 3 moves make way too much sense...

Posted by: brownwood26

Then it won't happen.

How often does the most logical move never transpire in the NFL?

I know everyone is hoping that Jerry Jones continues to bring in these lame duck coaches, but if he were to hire Norv Turner those fans would burn that stadium to the ground. It would signal that Jerry Jones doesn't care as much about winning as he does calling all the shots just to satisfy his ego.

You can take this to the bank: If the Redskins win big in these last eight games, Jerry Jones will definitely take a back seat next year and for the foreseeable future and hire a GM and head coach with strong personalities.

The dude Jerry has been running the team since Jimmy Johnson left. It's been 16 years since they won anything other than a division title with Jones calling the shots. At what point do you set ego aside and admit that it's just not working?

I think given all the expectations they had coming into the season only to get off to a 1-7 start will do that...

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:02 AM

C'mon son...give Gibbs some credit here--he came back because he has a geniune affection for the Redskins organization and thought he could do something to help bring it out of the toilet in the wake of the failed Spurrier experiment. While I'm sure the money helped seal the deal, I would be thoroughly stunned if money was the reason behind Gibbs laying his great legacy on the line.

I think Gibbs and Dungy are different kinds of coaches...they seem to be genuine in their faith and principles and I don't think they're the type to be easily swayed by money to come back if it's not what they want to do.

While I wouldn't include Cowher in that same realm, I think he wants more control than he had in Pittsburgh--and I think that will outweigh any money that Jones will offer up. If he can get comparable money in Carolina AND get full organizational control AND live in the market near his home AND work for an owner that has been trying to create the same atmosphere in Carolina as there is in Pittsburgh, there's no way he's passing that up.

Besides...who do you think gives Cowher another 14 years to try and win a SB? Jones or Richardson in Carolina trying his damnedest to be the Rooneys?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

brown, I can't see norv going there, not after the failure of never going anywhere with an incredibly talented SD team...and I think Gruden likes the booth too much to leave it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Wade Phillips was a great example of a coach who was to nice to his players and never held them accountable.

The same players who probably didn't like Parcells played there butts off for him because they new if they didn't they would be gone, just pretty much gave up on there current very nice coach.

I would rather have hard a$$ coach who gets the players to play hard, then nice coach who the players like.

Thats why Shanny will have success here, the players know you need to perform or your gone. The last few years the players had there way and we see what that got us, the hardest thing to do is to be nice and get the guys to play really hard. Gibbs 2.0 was that way but he is a great coach.

Gibbs 1.0 was hard a$$ coach great results.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:14 AM |

red, we're talking jerry jones, the same guy that said after the green bay loss that HE had alot of decisions to make and that HE had alot of work to do. to me that says it all right there, referring to himself as the man. I think jones and the cowboy's will be the bottom feeders for as long as he owns the team from here on out, all the money in the world included.

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Flound, I do agree that Cowher will most likely want and take the Carolina job.

But Jerry Jones will definitely offer him the most money (probably something like 7-8 million over 5 years) and the best "ready to win now" roster.

Luckily for Carolina, Cowher will probably want to be close to home and is young enough to have the patience to build his own roster.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm the best unemployed coach in the NFL! By the way, does anyone need any yard work done? My schedule just opened up for the foreseeable future!

Signed,

Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:14 AM

What part of the last 14 years hasn't screamed that already?

Remember Dave Campo? Three straight 5-11 seasons? That was supposed to be the end of their run of milquetoast coaches and yet here sits Wade.

The similarities between Snyder and Jones are scary...seems like both men are hard headed and need total disaster to realize what they're doing isn't working.

So maybe there's some truth to the notion that he'll try to get a strong HC and step aside. I'm just sayin' that based on what I've seen of him in the wake of Wade's ouster, he isn't yet taking ANY ownership of the blame for their epic fail of 2010.

In that regard, I'm glad that we have Snyder instead of Jones. Because Snyder actually had a GM he could fire as a scapegoat. And since the problem in Dallas is Jerry Jones, it's not likely that Jerry Jones will be the one to figure that out...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:23 AM |

not so sure that cowher goes to carolina now that he lost his wife to cancer and his kids are in college.

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:05 AM

If the Seahawks' O-line don't heal soon, we could come close to what NY did.

I don't think we play them this season.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 9, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:16 AM
------------------------------------------
Think you're wrong about Gibbs. He might love the team, but it was money that got him to come back. He probably would not have coached for any other team but the Redskins, but in the end, it was about money. I am not besmirching the good name of Joe Gibbs here. I think he saw an opportunity to do some good in Washington and he was great with that, but the money was too tempting to walk away from.

As for Cowher, he will have a big rebuilding project in Carolina - especially if he will migrate to a 3-4 defense. Dallas is much closer to having the pieces in place - in fact, Cowher might be the last piece. So, he gets the big contract from JJ and gets a team that is closer to winning a championship. He knows he won't put up with the owner for long so he gets a walk away clause after two years.

John Fox makes roughly about $3.0m a year in Carolina and the offer to Cowher will probably be in that neighborhood. JJ will shell out over $8.0m a year for Cowher. The difference in the two salaries is enormous - the difference in small market versus large market - and I cannot see Cowher walking away from it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I never give up hope. Even if there's a FIRE!

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 8:08 AM |

hess, could you elaborate ?

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Yes I can my long lost Hess brother....

At worst the Skins go 5-3, but probably 6-2 and they get into the playoffs.

Also if there is a fire, I'll probably call 911.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 9, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

hess, yeah Jones made it seemed like he's jury, judge, and executioner when it comes to all decisions Dallas, but you got to remember: He's saying this because right now there isn't anyone else.

Snyder said some the same things last season when the Redskins season was whirling around in the toilet. You say those things when you are the only one making those decisions. Disappointment after disappointment has the ability to change your perspective on things.

Jones right now is embarrassed and probably a little humbled as well. If he were going to hire a GM and coach with staunch personalities now would be the best time. Jerry Jones looked like Robert E. Lee at Appomattox yesterday: Tired and defeated.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Signed,

Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:24 AM

Sorry Wade...the 5 or 6 mill you'll get for doing NOTHING the next year and a half will have to do...not letting you do to my yard what you did to Dallas!...and thank you by the way.

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Won't Cowher want control to sign players? 'The Lush' ain't giving up control to ANYBODY! Cowher will get the Carolina job and look for Fox or Holmgren to land the Dallas job. As far as I know Gruden is still in a contract he can't get out of with MNF and I think the Chargers do good enough down the stretch for good ol' Norv to keep his job.

The real question is does Jason Garrett do good enough to get some consideration or to at least keep his OC job? Probably not, he's a NERD, just wanted to throw that out there! F-Dallas!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Signed,

Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:24 AM
-------------------------------------------
Dear Wade,
We here at the Sta-Puf marshmallow factory have been looking for the perfect spokesperson and we think you could be it. We are excited to make you an offer immediately for this challenging position...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:17 AM

I don't know...Jerry's had a boner for Norv as much as Norv has had one for going back to Dallas. He's a link to their glory days...kind of their Gibbs move only way more ludicrous...

As for Gruden, he's one of those WCO guys...they all look at San Fran as the Mecca of football and would LOVE to go back there and coach. Between him and Holmgren, they'll be falling all over each other trying to land that gig...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Signed,

Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:24 AM
-----------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Philips,
We here at the Sta-Puff Marshmallow company have been looking for the perfect spokesperson for decades and when we heard you had become available we could not believe our good fortune. Please forward your resume immediately with pictures of yourself painted in white sugar...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'm not defending Jerry Jones here but you said "he isn't yet taking ANY ownership of the blame for their epic fail of 2010."

It isn't like he's ever going to fire himself. If you're looking for him to give a Gibbsian "It starts with me" quote, forget it. If Snyder couldn't be bottom-line like that, then I'm not expecting Jerry Jones to be neither.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Signed,

Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:24 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you know how much it costs to keep and maintain horses and a ranch? I'm a real cowboy, dammit!!! I'll blow that 5-6 mil. in a few months. Oh, and about what I did to Dallas? I wasn't the only cow sh*tting in that pasture if you know what I mean!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought we were headed in the right direction,now kow at it. Granted,we are thin all over the field,but this fiasco by Shanny has put us right back to SOS. Jr. ain't helping much either.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 9, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:36 AM
-----------------------------------------
You forget the Parcells years. Parcells had ultimate say over players when he first got there. Jimmy Johnson did, too. JJ will give someone the reins for a little while. It's just that he cannot stop meddling.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:32 AM |

nicely said red. let's hope he continues to make bad decisions

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:14 AM

I'd be curious to know Red...what do you think the chances are that the Skins win big over these last 8 games?

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 9, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Philips,

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Put a Quaker hat on Wade Phillips and he looks just like the dude from the oatmeal box with shorter hair.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

RSH, if Gibbs wanted a money grab, he already owned a share of the Falcons and was offered the chance to coach there as well. Blank would have written him a blank check (pun intended) to take the reins in Atlanta.

If the Skins didn't suck, they wouldn't have turned to Gibbs and he wouldn't have felt the need to come back. While the money probably sealed the deal, I seriously doubt it was his motivating factor.

As for Carolina, I think you sleep on them a bit...Cowher ain't Fox. Fox was a relatively unknown D-coordinator for the Giants when he got hired, no experience, no real pedigree. Cowher has a ring and a decade and a half of experience. I seriously doubt they lowball him and if they don't START negotiations at about $6 million per, I'll be stunned...especially since he'll basically be the GM/coach there.

Don't be surprised if nobody with a big name wants any part of the Dallas gig...Jones has proven his ego takes precedent there and he's already run proven winners like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells out of town. He's gotta give up the reins to the GM gig to even have a chance...and I don't see that happening.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:49 AM |

michelin man has been replaced by wade phillips

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Haha, Red...nice Chappelle Show pull, my friend...kudos on the Quaker Man reference too. Way to bring your A game, hoss...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Dear Wade,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Philips,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Dear Sta-Puff,
Thank you for offering me a position. I have to admit, it has always been a dream to be covered in white sugar, the only thing that comes close was when I let my favorite cow Betsy lick cream cheese off my 'little cowpoke'! In fact, I was thinking about marshmallows the other day! I had a craving for smores after Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware gave me a hug after I was fired, it was like I was the marshmallow sandwiched between 2 pieces of chocolate! Let me know when I should start, and I don't mind bringing Betsy along if you desire!

Signed,
Wade 'The Human Marshmallow' Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

cowboys give spurrier another shot at the NFL....blook it....

Spurrier HC
Zorn - OC
Shanny - DC
Wuerffel - QB Coach
MMason - RB Coach
DGardner/DWilkinson - DL Coach
APierce - LB Coach

Like I said, brook it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

cowboys give spurrier another shot at the NFL....blook it....

Spurrier HC
Zorn - OC
Shanny - DC
Wuerffel - QB Coach
MMason - RB Coach
DGardner/DWilkinson - DL Coach
APierce - LB Coach

Like I said, brook it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:58 AM

Ahhhh...a Dream Team!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

should have read "Marty" as the DC...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

cowboys give spurrier another shot at the NFL....blook it....

Spurrier HC
Zorn - OC
Shanny - DC
Wuerffel - QB Coach
MMason - RB Coach
DGardner/DWilkinson - DL Coach
APierce - LB Coach

Like I said, brook it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:58 AM

Ahhhh...a Dream Team!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

That's close, but I say he fills ALL the positions with old Florida Gator players! That would be OUR best case senerio, probably the only coach that could make the Cowpies worse than Wade!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

cowboys give spurrier another shot at the NFL....blook it....

Spurrier HC
Zorn - OC
Shanny - DC
Wuerffel - QB Coach
MMason - RB Coach
DGardner/DWilkinson - DL Coach
APierce - LB Coach

Like I said, brook it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 8:58 AM

Ahhhh...a Dream Team!

Posted by: PlayAction | November 9, 2010 9:00 AM
------------------------------------------
More like a nightmare.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Cower would never go to Dallas he would have no control."

People said the same thing about Shanahan and Dan Snyder.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it did too.
___________________

I hate the cowgirls as much as anyone, but Red is unfortunately right here. In fact, Jerrah's hire of Parcells was basically the same situation. If I recall, he basically turned over the franchise to Parcells, so I think he could easily do it again if he's willing to open the vault for Cower. Hopefully, he'll keep Garrett 'cause he doesn't appear to be a very good coach.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 9, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 9, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I see a leap of faith in your analysis that I don't share.

Because the current strategy as you accurately described it entails surrendering multiple draft picks in 2010 and 2011 -- in order to obtain veterans to fill gaps between the old and new Redskins -- the likelihood that the new Redskins will be a strong contender is reduced.

Given the lack of picks, Shanahan & Allen are going to have to make better selections with the picks they have, find excellent value in free agency or find a way to get more draft picks. I'm not confident that any of this will happen in sufficient quantity to transform the franchise into perennial contenders, as we all hope.

On the other hand, I am confident Shanahan and Allen will find a way to improve the team over the next several years simply because they are serious football guys. My best guess is that the Skins go from being below average/average (now) to above average by 2012.

By 2013 the ball will be in Snyder's court (gulp!).

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

what if the cowboys turn it around under garrett ? I mean stranger things have happened in the nfl. would jones keep garrett and get something in return for the big contract he signed garrett too ? I thought the plan was for phillips to retire and garrett to take over as HC

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Jones was too nice to Wade Philips. He should have told him he was still the head coach, but he was hiring a BINGO caller to run the offense. Then he should have just made a few random signings and said it was a Superbowl calibre roster. Oh, wait a minute, this has been done already. Stay medium, Wade.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Philips,

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:49 AM
-----------------------------------------
See? Wade will have no problem marketing himself on the job market. Zorn should have picked up on his "brand" image for a few marketing opportunities. Frankly, I think he would have been a great spokesperson for Joker rolling papers...

"Just stay medium with Joker"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

what if the cowboys turn it around under garrett ?
Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Was thinking the same thing myself. I'd put the odds of a respectable Cowboy second half at 50%. Then Jerrah's got some thinking to do, which can only be good for us.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"Just stay medium with Joker"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Or the new Crayola Color Coordinator!!! I hear he's looking to adapt new variations of Black and Maroon! hahaha

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey hess, what's the mood on Dallas' fan blog?

They went from dumber to dumb.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | November 9, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

what if the cowboys turn it around under garrett?

Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM

Depends on your definition of "turn it around"...right now, they'd have to be happy with 4-4 the rest of the year. That might be enough to keep his job if (as I expect) nobody with a big name will take it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

what if the cowboys turn it around under garrett ?
Posted by: hessone | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2010 9:24 AM
------------------------------------------
Garrett looks a little too weak kneed to take control of the team and lead them to victory. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Cowboys lose all of their remaining games.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Cowher is not going to the cowboys, he does not like jerry jones. And everyone close to the situation knows Jerry wouldn't give up his power for long and just kick him out anyway, just like he did all the great coaches that built the organization (landry, johnson and parcel) only to profit off of the teams they started building after their firing. Jones has a history that repeats itself so much its scary.

At best the Cowboys will throw enough money at a guy like John Gruden and he most likely will be the next cowboys head coach, with the thought process that he is good at developing already established talent like he did in tampa bay and oakland.

As for the comment that the skins could not be a contender in 2012. Well first off this season isn't over with yet, so talking about the future is kind of pointless to an extent because what we may "need" will change by the end of the season. Just saying.

Also its easy for the media to say things like mcnabb is not coming back, but you have to realize that this is the same media that said we would trade albert haynesworth a million times and said he wouldn't play hard for shanny and that all turned out to be a load of b.s, as shanny has albert playing the best ball hes played since he's been a redskin period.

Shanny is smart enough to get the best out of his players and also make the players rally around and develop confidence in each other, which is exactly why he benched mcnabb. I promise you the players embarrassed by the benching is the offensive line because its mostly there fault, but you cant bench a whole offensive line and yes I mean whole because t williams got his butt kicked all game. I promise you mcnabb will throw lights out from here on in.

Quick history lesson by the way, first year in denver Mike Shanahan benched a veteran John Elway for not getting the offense. John Elway at the time had a 70.6 qb rating and wasn't hitting a lot of open mid range receivers (sounds familiar? Mcnabb is slightly better with a qb rating of 76.0). After the benching a lot of denver fans wanted Shanahan's head and there was even serious talk of him being fired in his first year by the media. Then what happened after that? John Elway was on fire for the rest of the season.

I think people have a tendency to forget elway and his actually numbers before shanny (if you have time look at them...not that good to be honest) and his numbers after shanny. The main reason we know elway as a hall of famer is his rings and his memorable games and numbers under the shanny regime.

Also both mcnabb and elway are at the same point in there careers at this point, been to the superbowl looked terrible in it, been benched as a vet, used to be a scrambling quarterback but the wheels are starting to rust, shanny rubbed them the wrong way his first season, elway went on to win two sb rings, i think mcnabb is made out of the same stuff. He will be back next season and play well from here on out.

Posted by: culprit59 | November 9, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

MCole, I'm looking for the Redskins to go anywhere between 3-5 and 5-3, worst case they go 2-6.

Which would put them in line for that 6 to 9 win mark I had them down for at the start of the season.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Philips,

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Posted by: RedDMV
--------------------
The Quaker Oat can is the closest either Wade Phillips or Tony Romo and any of those Cowgirls are going to come to getting on a cereal box! At 1-7, they aren't Wheaties material. HTTR!

Posted by: phenomena1 | November 9, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

What happens then? They'll be 1-15 and probably get the 1st pick unless the Bills go 0-16 which isn't likely, do they go QB and give up on Romo?

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 9:43 AM

Wow Red...way to go out on a limb, dude. I had 'em going somewhere between 0-16 and 16-0 myself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

culprit,

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: my man John Keats said that.

Great post!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Returning to the original topic, I think that Clay Mattews III has won 1st defensive honors. Even though LaRon is impressive DeAngelo Hall caught 5 interceptions in two games. The 4-interception game ball is in Canton. Hall's productivity casts a long shadow over Landry though LaRon is an extremely productive player.

Posted by: phenomena1 | November 9, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Culprit, nice breakdown with the McNabb/Elway comparisons. I never knew Shanahan benched John freakin' Elway...

There is only one question I have: Was Elway in the final year of his contract when Shanahan benched him? That's why benching McNabb is met with a lot of skepticism. If he pisses McNabb off, McNabb can just simply bounce at the end of the year leaving them searching once again for another quarterback.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

monk, speaking of the Bills...I would LOVE to get Ryan Fitzpatrick here as a backup. That's a guy I could see doing well in this offense...far better than The Human Turnover...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

shut you face, brownwood...

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: phenomena1 | November 9, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Clay Matthews winning defensive honors so far. However I think Laron is the only one that can catch him. He's looked good in every game, but Hall has had a couple off games. Yes, he has single-handedly won 2 games for us and is among the tops in interceptions, but Landry will stay more consistant down the stretch. He needs some big plays and intereceptions as well! Orakpo can stay close if he comes alive and starts getting multiple-sack games!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Fitzy is wickid smaht...cat went tah hahvid....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Matthew Stafford has a chance at being a good QB. But his career is starting to be in question. He is now, once again, out for the season. And people said Sam Bradford had a injury prone shoulder.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

culprit59 let's hope history repeats itself.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, culprit...hope you're right.

The first thing I did after the McNabb deal was made, was go back and look at Elway's numbers...even WITH Shanahan his numbers weren't that great. See for yourself:

Not exactly Manning-esque, is it?

(Well, maybe Eli...)

As much as people beat up JC here, Elway's QB rating his first SB season was 87.5--which is pretty close to what JC's numbers looked like last year as a Redskin. His last year (and last SB), he threw for 22 TDs and 10 INTs...which sounds eerily similar to what McNabb did in Philly last year.

Point is, Elway and his anemic 56.9% completion rate is in the HoF and considered one of the best to ever play not because his numbers were great--it was because he made plays to help you win even though it's not readily apparent in the box score. He was a guy who could stink out the joint for 3 quarters and rally up an epic comeback in the 4th. Not saying McNabb is exactly that guy, but he's not as far off as one might think...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Not sure about Fitzpatrick, I mean he's lost the starting job like twice to Trent Edwards who SUCKS!!! Maybe as a backup, but would hope to never see him on the field. And besides, if he replaces Sexy Rexy, who will be our 2-minute Specialist?

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

James Davis could make this week's roster

Our hope is that he no only makes the roster, but also gets a few carries.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Fitzy is wickid smaht...cat went tah hahvid....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 9:59 AM

I'm about 90% sure you actually talk like that...

Fitz is a heady player who's fairly accurate (from what little I've seen of him) and VERY mobile. If that guy had to start 4 or 5 games for an injured starter (or if he was a one-year stopgap if we dump McNabb and draft a QB), you could do a helluva lot worse...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

One thing clear: the Skins last year were NOT as bad as the Cowpies so far this year. Last year's Skins were fairly competitive, despite how awful you may think you remember it.

Six games were lost by a TD or less.

The team finished with a -70 point differential (266 points scored, 336 points against) over 16 games.

The Cowpies have a -71 point differential already, halfway through the season (161 points scored, 232 points against). They are not competitive.

Last year's team could have *easily* been 8-8 with just a few more breaks.

By the way, so far this year, at the halfway mark we have a -15 point differential (155 points scored, 170 points against).

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"Cower would never go to Dallas he would have no control."

People said the same thing about Shanahan and Dan Snyder.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it did too.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 8:01 AM

Yep...and that sucks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | November 9, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree. Would love to see 30 chase him down, but right now it's Matthews hands down

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I can't see Cowher or Gruden leaving the comfy confines of secure media jobs to go back into coaching.

I'd say both the panthers or any other team that changes coaches decides to promote some young'n from within.

Tampa and Pittsburgh found good young coaches in Tomlin and Morris.

I think that's the route other teams will take.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 9:46 AM
-----------------------------------------
Well, it largely depends on the coach coming in. Chances are, the new coach will have a different philosophy and want "his" kind of players. If JJ is smart, he'll hire someone who has a similar philosophy. Hiring Norv Turner makes sense in this regard.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 10:07 AM

I meant as a backup...not as our "QB of the future".

And the Bills didn't just bench Edwards...they CUT him in favor of Fitz so I'm not sure where you're going with that. Unless you're talking about the previous regime...in which case, nobody's mistaking Dick Jauron for a guy with a great eye for QBs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"It seems like every year, we sports media people over estimate just how good the Dallas Cowboys are..."

(actual quote) Chris Mortenson, ESPN

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, culprit...hope you're right.

Not exactly Manning-esque, is it?

(Well, maybe Eli...)

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

elway had an extremely talented team to work w/!!! terrel davis (rb), rod smith & ed mccarthey (wrs), shannon sharpe (te)... an extremely good o-line

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff, culprit...hope you're right.

Not exactly Manning-esque, is it?

(Well, maybe Eli...)

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

comparing completion % and teams is a whole other animal...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Easy Ed McCaffrey, I think you meant Mr. Crickett

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 9, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:24 AM

Don't make it sound like Elway strolled his way onto a ready-made contender...Davis was a 6th round pick, Rod Smith was undrafted, Sharpe and McCaffrey were mid/late round picks, and their O-line had maybe one guy that was taken in the 1st round. Elway and Shanahan made do with what they had and those guys worked out brilliantly...don't get it twisted...

Moe, funny how guys like Mort can make that call now that they have the benefit of hindsight when folks like us have been saying that literally for YEARS...rooting interests aside, I'll never understand how anyone in their right mind could think even for a minute that Wade f-ing Phillips and Tony Romo could lead a team to a SB...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Matthew Stafford is the new Chad Pennington.

He was placed on IR last year too. Was it for his shoulder or something else?

There are a few good young QBs in the league right now.

Who ya got:

Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford
Mark Sanchez
Colt McCoy
Matthew Stafford
Kevin Kolb
Chad Henne

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

moe, co-sign on JDavis getting some touch's...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"Tony Oh'no"

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:24 AM |

Who do you think put all those players in place that was Shanny, it took a year for them to make the playoffs where they lost in the first round. Then in his 3rd year they won the SB, so maybe we can give the guy more then 8 games to decide if he will have success here or not.

Shanny took over a 7-9 team in Denver with some good players, not like the trash he took over here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Great, insightful, must read for true football fans.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:24 AM

************************************************************************************************************************************
i agree with you regarding building the team and not a "ready made contender"... that team was gathered by dan reeves them built by shanny... either way the skins still need a lot of help to get to the play offs or superbowl...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 9, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know they cut Edwards, I'm talking about Edwards won the job from Fitz last year, AND this year. Edwards beat him out in preseason and won the job.

I would probably have more confidence in Fitz than Sexy Rexy, but no matter what happens with McNabb or anything else I feel strongly that we are going QB in the first round. Maybe even trading up to get the best one, I think Shanny is done playing around.

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Who ya got:

Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford
Mark Sanchez
Colt McCoy
Matthew Stafford
Kevin Kolb
Chad Henne

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 10:36 AM

Bradford is the best of the bunch, but I also like what Freeman a bunch.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Matthew Stafford is the new Chad Pennington.

And Colt McCoy is the next 'Why didn't we draft that guy?" young quarterback.

Folks complained that McCoy had a 'weak arm,' but so far, he's beaten Brees and Brady.

(Having Peyton Hillis and a good o-line helps, too.)

The kid CAN throw the ball and get yards with his legs.

Colt McCoy is pretty good.

You can win with a rookie.

If you can figure out which is the right one to draft.

Me?: I say Andrew Luck just might be that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Me?: I say Andrew Luck just might be that guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What about the dude from Florida State?

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

colt mccoy has the benefit of Hillis behind him....McCoy looked great against the pats however...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

(actual quote) Chris Mortenson, ESPN

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Not Wilbon, love him or hate him you have to give the man credit here.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Okay, since Dallas' season is practically
over, let's all root for them to kick the
Giants down a knotch this coming Sunday. If
they can stop their 5 game winning streak, then
we have an opportunity to get the NYG down twice when it's our turn. Of course, we have to do what we can to win Monday night against Philly making us both 5-4 teams. Whatyathink?

Posted by: DeployedFan | November 9, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I personally like Josh Freeman. I think he will eventually be crowned the best QB in the NFC. The guy is huge, he has a strong accurate arm, he is a leader of men, and to to top it off the guy has what? 7 4th quarter comebacks in his short career!!! I would take this guy over McNabb, Romo, Eli, and maybe even Brees. He has that bright of a future.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Jimmy, you're just highlighting the obvious so I'm gonna just move on...

Moe, McCoy looks like he's pretty good...sort of a game manager at this point, but when you've got a beast like Hillis running the ball, a pretty good O-line and an opportunistic defense, you don't exactly need a lot more than what they're getting from McCoy...

Monk, I don't think Edwards ever really "beat" Fitz out of a job...he was a 1st round pick and they gave him every chance possible to take that job. The preseason battle was a draw and they granted the tie to the guy who was a 1st round pick.

Red, on your list of QBs I'd take Freeman...that dude looks like the whole package AND he's clutch...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The Top Three:

Andrew Luck

Ryan Mallett

Cam Newton

Again: there are 5-7 very good college quarterbacks coming into the draft next Spring.

Luck looks like an NFL quarterback from day 1.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2010 10:57 AM

His first start was against the Steelers and he's not only alive to tell the tale, he actually had a decent outing, all things considered. Like I said...looks like a solid game manager-type QB at this point, kinda like a young Brad Johnson...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for us, he's gone in the first 5-8 picks.

So who might that be?

Buffalo?
Dallas?
Carolina?
San Francisco?
Detroit?
Cincinnati?

My bet is on San Francisco. Heck, it's a virtual move down the street from where he is now.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 9, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Dallass Haiku Contest Today!

Watching Dallass crash
Is almost as good as sex
Screw you Jerruh Jones

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

No way, clay matthews Jr

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Landry plays safety on the 31st ranked pass defense...and he's candidate for Defensive MVP? I guess maybe if you took him out WAS might be 32nd... As it's been said, that title clearly belongs to Matthews and he's even missed a game or two. He might not even be defensive MVP on his own team, let alone the league

Posted by: bowie2000 | November 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bowie2000 | November 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe your thoughts on Garcia from South Carolina?

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Why do coaches always babble like idiots about why they're changing QBs? Oakland's coach sounds as funny as Shanahan did last week:

Tom Cable: "I really haven’t wavered, but I do have a belief in me about, you know, when you’re dealing it and you got the hot hand, and things are going in the right direction for your football team, you know, why would you make a change?

And that’s where I think right now, but in the back of my mind I also say, ‘It’s not really making a change. He was a starter before I made the change with Bruce and he’s kinda’ come back and done a lot of good things for our team.’… I’m probably leaning towards staying with the hot hand."

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Since people are saying we should have tried getting Colt McCoy. I am telling you right now. If Christian Ponder is on the board in the 2nd round, we HAVE to draft him. He has all the intangebles, he is 6ft 3 so he is big, he may not have a rocket arm, but nither does Peyton Manning. This guy, imo, could end up being the most underrated, but the best coming out the 2011 draft. He looks to fit our system...Julio Jones #1, Christian Ponder #2?

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Anybody claiming they'd rather have Snyder than Jones as owner might consider getting his fan gauge re-calibrated.

Jones has three friggin' world championship rings, to our collective disgust and dismay. Snyder has one jewel-encrusted belt buckle for being a super fan.

I loathe Jerry Jones, but he delivered three titles to Dallas. Sure, his team has mostly stunk since then, but that does not take away his three titles, much as I hate to say it. Jones' tenure as Cowboy owner >>> Snyder's tenure as Redskin owner.

*barf*

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 9, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

yeah, I mean great for homie support - but be real.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

A conversation about qb's we didn't draft, huh?

Campbell

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a black girl and I met a white guy on __...Black White Meet . com...___ recently. What's your idea about interracial marriage? Black White Meet . C om is a dating club for interracial singles to have fun together. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish! I like this club, please show me your idea here.

Posted by: abulaw | November 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'd go with Freeman too.

monk, you're thinking about Ponder (QB from FSU). Thing is, when did any QB from FSU amount to anything in the NF... excuse me: National Football League?

pep, Wilbon makes it his business to hate on, but at the same time, speak the truth about they're annually puffed up.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Luck looks like an NFL quarterback from day 1.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse
_______

I'm not convinced Luck is going to come out in the draft next year. I think Luck is only a junior (is that correct, anyone?), but he's also very, very smart. His dad has really made something of himself post-nfl (for those who don't know, he's now an attorney and the AD of Univ of WV), and I think there's a reasonable chance that he advises his son to stay in school.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | November 9, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow...we're 4-4 in a watered down NFC, with a 2nd half schedule easier than the 1st half, yet we're talking draft in Week 10. Amazing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Jerruh Jones blows cows
Buh Bye doughboy Wade Phillips
1 and 15 HA!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 11:15 AM

A. True...FSU QBs never amount to anything. No reason to think that'll change now.

B. I've noticed that analysts and people who cover the NFL never call it the NFL...ALWAYS "the National Football League". Why is that?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Dallass Haiku Contest Today!

Watching Dallass crash
Is almost as good as sex
Screw you Jerruh Jones

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 9, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Garrett fails I bet,
Romo is a big Homo,
They wind up in bed!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, that's cause the Ginas are wreaking havoc. We have to play them twice and we had the CowPatties, Rams & Lions in our 1st half.. how is the 2nd half easier?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Yeh that Brad Johnson never won a damn thing.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abulaw | November 9, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Pabrainiac2003, is that you?

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Don't agree with this, but here's a midseason report on us from NBC sports:

11. Washington Redskins: 4-4; Predicted finish 6-10

What’s gone right: The Redskins beat three teams with winning records despite an uneven, mistake-prone offense and a defense that gives up tons of yards. They did it with turnovers and playmaking performances from safety LaRon Landry. Rookie Trent Williams looks like a keeper at left tackle, a rare young cornerstone for this team to build around.

What’s gone wrong: It took seven weeks to get much from Albert Haynesworth. Donovan McNabb has struggled to learn the offense and doesn’t look comfortable. (And that was before he was benched for Rex Grossman.) Clinton Portis got hurt again. Despite all the turnovers, the defense is worse than it was under Jim Zorn last year.

What’s next: The bad vibes around this team won’t change with games against the Eagles, Titans, Vikings, and Giants coming up. Look for a 1-3 stretch there, which will knock them out of the playoff race.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Red: Stafford isn't good yet since he has been injured more than he played. He is a TBD.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 9, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Hate to burst your bubble but Julio Jones will be gone in the first 10 picks - we're not picking that high - and after the Combine I bet Christian Ponder jumps to the bottom of the first round.

So if we want him, that's where we're going to have to pick him up.

Either way, we have 8 games left and that's what I'm focused on.

Let the Cowboy fans debate on the merits of this years draft.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 9, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:19 AM

By my count, we only play 2 teams with losing records in the second half... why do you say the second half is easier?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 9, 2010 11:28 AM

Just a guess.

The Vikes suck. The Cowboys are even worse than they were when we played 'em. Those are easier games (for us) than the Rams or Lions because the Skins won't sleep on those two teams.

I don't buy the Bucs or the Ginas down the stretch. The only game that scares me even a little bit is the Titans game...on the road, against sick speed like Moss and CJ2K...don't like our D in that matchup.

Otherwise, I don't see why we can't (if healthy) go 4-4 down the stretch.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 9, 2010 6:15 AM
and
Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2010 9:12 AM

First of all, when I talked about veteran place holder players, I was talking about free agents, and not even top tier ones. guys that can come in and fill a hole for the short term without requiring a big payday. These guys can get the job done for a while and still leave the team money to sign the players that will become the core of the team. I never suggested trading draft picks for these kind of players.

Also, I expect that the Redskins will trade Haynesworth after the season, and will probably also try to move Carter. That should increase the number of picks for next season at least a little.

I'm also expecting that at least a couple of our young guys and practice squad players will develop at least into servicable depth players. That should reduce our needs in the upcomming drafts as well. If we are able to add some more of these kind of guys in the next two years, that will help some too.

Yes, drafting a QB always entails a bit more luck than other positions, But we're going to need to pick up a new QB by around 2012 anyway due to McNabb's age. I would prefer that we draft one and hope he develops into the future of our franchise.

I believe that as long as we keep the draft picks we have, and possibly add a few more by trading AWAY guys that don't fit our future plans, we should be able to add enough talent to create the core of a succesfull team. Especially if we focus on building strong O and D lines.

One thing I expect in the new CBA is a rookie salary scale. This will make it easier to stockpile young talent because the team won't have to devote huge sums of cash to young unproven players. This will allow the team the funds to add the FEW top tier free agents that it would take to complete that winning contender in 2012.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 9, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

brown, yeah. Every former NFL'er calls it the "National Football League" as if they were mandated by the league office to do so. It bugs the hell out of everyone, notably Steve Czaban here in D.C. He had a segment on this morning talking about how it's always referred as the "National Football League" John Gruden and his "This guy" speak and how *fill in the blank* "is a football player".

I'm happy Czabe is back on. I can't stand Mike & Mike and I NEVER listen to 106.7, they both suck majorly, majorly suck, or what have you...

4th, I put Stafford in there because despite his injuries I think he's been decent to pretty damn impressive when he is healthy and playing.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 9, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Portis Beeps!

Posted by: monk811 | November 9, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Good response from Landry. He really hasn't done anything THAT great and he's leaving the praise up to others, basically the media who puts you on a pedastal when they feel like it, then chime to stomp on your neck when things aren't going right.

Posted by: keedrow | November 9, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Hard not to vote for mathews on GB...but Orakpo and Landry and bad mo'fos...imagine if we still had 21...damn, who'd even dare go across the middle....

Posted by: mjandrews8 | November 9, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Hard not to vote for mathews on GB...but Orakpo and Landry are bad mo'fos...imagine if we still had 21...damn, who'd even dare go across the middle....

Posted by: mjandrews8 | November 9, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't the MVP on defense have to be Hall? After all his individual play(s) in the Dallas and Chicago games led to 2 of our 4 wins. Without DeAngelo and a holding call we lose to Dallas. And maybe they still have Wade as coach. Without his int's in Chicago we lose to the Bears. So I would say Hall.

As for the "boys". As long as they continue to over hype average talent, and leave Romo at QB. Jones will never have a winner in Big D. Without or with Cowher.

Dallas reminds me of the year 2000 version of our Skins. All paper and no substance. Over hyped by the so called experts and no heart.

Posted by: kansaskinfan | November 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Landry has to improve his pass coverage in which he is one dimensional player...Mvp are you serious??? Landry also leads his team in personal foul penalties...Landry is a head hunter plain and simple...

Posted by: wmnatzakanian | November 9, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Jim Haslett's belief qualifies him an absolute idiot. Landry is the Defensive Joke MVP. No safety has more blown coverages, or more celebrations after making a tackle after giving up a 25-yard gain. LaRon, go work your biceps some more you tool. You look very manly getting burned over and over. Is Haslett watching tonight's game?

Posted by: jrosubs | November 15, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse