LaRon Landry at center of the storm with Eagles

By Paul Tenorio

Correction: Defensive back Dunta Robinson plays for the Atlanta Falcons, not the Green Bay Packers.

Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry was involved in controversies before and after the Redskins' 59-28 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday night, one stemming from a pregame scuffle between the teams and another from accusations of spitting by Eagles center Mike McGlynn.

In the locker room after the game, McGlynn told reporters that Landry had spit on him twice during the game on extra points. He said one incident occurred after the Eagles went up 21-0.

Landry adamantly denied the accusations.

"This is my answer: When would I ever be in touch with the center? I never blitz the 'A' gap." Landry said. When told McGlynn said the incidents occurred during extra points, he said: "Extra points? Still, when would I ever be in the 'A' gap? Extra points I'm on the end. With that said, that's your answer."

Before the game, Landry was in the middle of a scrum that broke out between the two teams as the Eagles headed to their locker room after warmups. It appeared the confrontation started between Landry and Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson.

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported on twitter that, according to unnamed sources, Landry and cornerback DeAngelo Hall were "taunting" Jackson before warm-ups and "mocking him getting concussed." Jackson has suffered two concussions in the last two seasons, including one on a hit by Green Bay Atlanta defensive back Dunta Robinson Oct. 17 that helped bring about an NFL crackdown on hits to the head.

In a text message to a reporter, Hall denied saying anything to Jackson regarding concussions.

After the game, Jackson seemed to play down the jawing but did acknowledge that there was some trash talking.

"It was some disrespectful things that was being said, and I'm not going to get into who said it or what they said but it was just some disrespectful things being said," Jackson said. "Sometimes I think some football players take this football a little too serious and at the end of the day we're human beings and have to have respect for a lot of people. It was just disrespectful but, like I said, we got in an altercation and we was ready to do whatever we needed to do to go out there and get them, so we was ready."

Landry also played down the pre-game altercation as normal jawing between opponents.

"Me and DeSean just was talking. I was nowhere near the play after it happened. After we talked it's over I walked off and then I see the whole crowd," Landry said. "We just talked, we always do that. Me and D-Jack, we ace. So I don't know if they trying to elevate a problem for no reason. The center, I'll keep my mouth shut about him."

Hall said he simply tried to break up the scuffle.

"I don't know what was going on," Hall said. "I kind of came over there towards the end to break it up, peacemaker. I'm kind of getting pulled back and forth. Typical rivalry. ... any time you get two physical teams together, especially teams that don't like each other, things like that are going to happen."

By Paul Tenorio  | November 16, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  LaRon Landry
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final: Eagles 59, Redskins 28
Next: Fletcher says Michael Vick is NFL's MVP

Comments

I'm pretty sure Laron can't tell from last night what happens when two physical teams get together.

Posted by: watchingfromasia | November 16, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

First to say that extending McFlabb was a mistake. What a way to kick off the new deal for McFlabb. He certainly looked like a 13 mil a year QB.

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 16, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | November 16, 2010 6:37 AM |
--------

the beat goes on.

didn't like getting mcnabb in the first place and I don't like signing him long term. this is not the way to rebuild a team folks. this is the way snyder runs a team. you look at dallas and the redskins and you look at their owners and records. need I say anymore ?

the beat goes on, same thing over and over

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Get a grip srobert...unless McNabb was supposed to play CB, I don't see where you think he was the reason for that loss. Vick was unstoppable last night. The '85 Bears wouldn't held them to under 30 the way Vick played...

I mean, really...Peyton Manning doesn't answer 59 points in 3 quarters in a driving rain. Since folks like you are so eager to point out that McNabb isn't elite, I don't know why you'd expect him to...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

We had our slow old D exposed for all to see last night. Yes, slow. Our LB's besides Orakpo run like they are stuck in mud. LL, guess he didn't hear from Haslett to stay back, don't let anyone behind you. Our O isn't good not enough weapons and line needs help, but this exposes what some of us including myself have said too. The D is old and slow. What a mess to inherit. It will take a few years to really improve.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 16, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

McNabb isn't the problem, he had dropped passes again and again, team speed is terrible. Moss isn't getting away from anyone any more, Cooley, usually cathces the ball, but is slow, AA, Galloway?? Really? that should be enough right there to show what sort of team the Shanahan's inherited. Not enough talent or team speed. Period.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 16, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

from the FO to the trainers, there's to much to fix on this team

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Signing a 'used to be good' 33 year old quarterback to play behind a re-worked offensive line is emblematic of everything that as gone wrong the last few redskin years.

Donovan McNabb isn't the long term solution to fixing what ails the redskins.

Good drafting--and luck--is.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | November 16, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

It finally happened:

Redskins defense : NFL defenses :: Jason Reid : NFL blogs

Can either get worse?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I feel dirty this morning...

Posted by: WRBD | November 16, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan
Philly cornerbacks seemed to be able to catch the ball.

I mean really, people defend McNabb because he is nice and his resume "seems to make sense" but like the others have posted, all the team does is sign has beens.

And as you mention, if the talent around him is as bad as you say, what was the point of getting an old quaterback as oppossed to rebuilding and then why re-sign him after his performance so far?

Posted by: gmac78 | November 16, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the word we're looking for with regard to Landry is "exposed." From the first play to the last -- the Dude was constantly out of position, unable to make a tackle, and generally, looking like he would have rather been anywhere else but on that field.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 16, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE, NO MORE MONDAY NIGHT GAMES1

The team has plenty of holes to fix but history shows that they stink on Monday Night.

And this quote-unquote "half re-build" is a joke. I'm not folled by it. Even if they went 0-16 in the previous two years, a new coach and or regime does not want to start from scratch. They want a somewhat .500 record to hitch their name to.

But after all the politics envolved in avoiding the dreaded "R" word , we still get 4-12 season which include getting whiped by teams that did what we are afraid of.
(see Detriot,ST. Louis)

Posted by: gmac78 | November 16, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gmac78

Time will tell but I believe and obviously the FO does too that McNabb is the best option to build around. He is the best QB the Skins have had in years. Next year will be better with more line help and hopefully WR help too. The problem is this isn't a quick fix, my prediction of 8-8 is in jeopardy but we shall see.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 16, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Good thing we had that bye week to prepare!

Otherwise the Iggs might have posted 90 on us...whew, sure dodged a bullet there, eh?

To all the McNabb defenders, look at his stats on 3rd down. I believe all 3 of his picks were on 3rd down and we are the worst 3rd down team in the league, and McNabb plays a central part of that.

Sure, he's not covering receivers, but if drives could be sustained with a play or 2, it would sure help the overall cause.

At $78 mill, we don't need another Jason Campbell...we need a guy who will make plays and elevate the team when the team needs them most.

Posted by: p1funk | November 16, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Arghhh.

Disfuntionality, let me count the ways. Eh, why bother...when you can't tackle, can't run, can't pass, well all you have left is to taunt the other team. How did that work out?

Unlike the Washington Post columnists who chirped in that signing McNabb was a good thing, well all I can say is this going to be a bad team with McNabb, especially an aging McNabb. So pour your money down the drain, Snyder.

Posted by: driley | November 16, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

omfg!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 16, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE, NO MORE MONDAY NIGHT GAMES

Posted by: gmac78 | November 16, 2010 7:35 AM |

or sunday night games for that matter

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Personally I am going on record as saying,
"I don't believe Landry or Hall"
They were both trash talking, acting like thugs, and they ended up getting embarrassed terribly.
Hey Landry, how about the very first play?
They designed it to burn you; you are a target.
When will you figure out that?
Shut your mouth!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

At least Shanny didn't bench McNabb!

So that's some progress, eh? They are learning from previous experiences.

Posted by: p1funk | November 16, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

BTW, how much is Vick making?

Posted by: p1funk | November 16, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

haynesworth is out of shape

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

what an embarrassment, that was like swinging gate, just ALL GAME LONG...I tell ya, if I'm shanny, I'm going bat-shti crazy, and cutting a bunch of guys who can't play/contribute to this team, those would be KMoore, SHeyer, JGalloway, I cut those guys TODAY. This team isn't going any-where, bring up some kids, and lets see who can play. Give KWilliams more touch's, give Young more touch's....time to think about next year...wow...last night was horrific...JHaz, you've got 8 games to prove your worth...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

how'd y'all like that haynesworth play where he got cut down, but then while vick was scrambling around looking for a receiver in the end zone, haynesworth lay in wait on the ground. that may have looked likw AH "gave up", but he was actually preventing vick from scrambling anywhere withing one yard of AHs "gap". that's discipline!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 16, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Redskins are a physical team...OK D Hall

Posted by: rc2223 | November 16, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Redskins are on the wrong side of the history books. Again.

P.S. $78 million just doesn't go as far as it used to, huh?

Warmly,
Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | November 16, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh, forgot something:

You guys played just like the 0-9 team you are. You've been outplayed nine games straight.

-Joe

Posted by: PampaTex | November 16, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

it's obvious to me that we have a couple of clowns on this team that need to focus on playing the game in front of them and not RUNNING THEIR MOUTHS.

DHall nad LLandry

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

the beat goes on.

the beat goes on, same thing over and over

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Agreed 100%. I've gone from attending games, to watching on t.v., to not even bothering. Went to see RICHMOND crush WILLIAM and MARY last night. My REDSKINS days are officially over. Besides SAMMY BAUGH's passed, and he's the reason I started following the D.C. club in the first place. This ain't football. It's ads and entertainment. Got other things to do with my life.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 16, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Nightmare begun with DMac benching... will only get worse.
Skins are by far the SLOWEST team on offense and defense. Only threat is special teams with little pocket rocket.
Time to dust off the golf clubs on sundays

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 16, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

hess, for the record, Landry has been mentioned as a candidate for defensive POY, and DHall has 6 picks....these guys aren't close to being part of the problem with the team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Haslett has done a good job at turning an above average defense to probably the worse defense in the league by just reversing two numbers...a 4-3 to a 3-4! Haynesworth admitted that he is not suited for the 3-4. The rest of the defense should admit the same thing! By the way, for every good play the Redskin's defensive backs make, they make 2 bad plays, especially Hall!

Posted by: oakiedokie | November 16, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

"My REDSKINS days are officially over. Got other things to do with my life"

like post on redskins insider?? Help me out with this one??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:29 AM |

while they've made plays, you're going to tell me that these guy's are defensive players of the year. sorry greg, a defensive player of the year doesn't wiff on the teams opposing QB the way LLandry does when blitzing, rather, he lines them up and mows them down. said player doesn't run his mouth then get torched on the first play from scrimmage for a TD. said player doesn't make a tackle that gives up a first down and flex his muscles like he made a big play. you watching the same team as I am or are you in denial ? trying to WIN NOW will keep us where we're at indefinitely.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

hess, again these guys are hardly the problem....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

2HWTR It's official, Redskins accept CarQuest Bowl bid to play James Madison Dukes at KFC Stadium (formerly RFK). Rules changed to flag football to help Laron Landry with coverage skills training. They also will provide Fat Haynesworth with "Nap Time" between quarters. We are a sporting Mecca in D.C.

Posted by: doyouktt | November 16, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Coach Haslett took a Top 10 defense with 6 All Pro players and has made it into the worst defense in the NFL. Four of the front 7 were pro bowlers. He moved EVERY one up front into new positions. These results should not be unexpected. There are REASONS Haslett, Shananhan and Allen have all been fired repeatedly. Hello?

Posted by: jmueller7 | November 16, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Man, they got whooped.

No cheek spreadin and no vaseline.

If any of you fools still think there is any shot at the playoffs, go back and watch this game. They exploited all of our weaknesses.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 16, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

LOL at Pampatex returning. What a clown.

Hey Pampa - at least we can admit when we're terrible.

And we're not a team of quitters.

LL is a clueless punk.

Stephon Heyer MIGHT be the worst player in the NFL.

Rabach should be the 2nd one cut.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Too bad you guys don't have Jason Campbell to kick around anymore. Oh wait his squad is in first palce and on a 3 game win streak.

Posted by: NewManagement | November 16, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I know its hard to pin down one particular play, but roughly 4:28 left in the 1st quarter, Redskins had the ball, Rabach got pushed so far BACK into the backfield on the snap, that it was comical...I mean, I guess I just don't understand how they keep putting him out there...why aren't the coach's willing to make changes...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh, please. The WaPo is so TMZ in their reporting it's become as embarrassing as the Skins defense last night.

Players have been talking trash for decades, and all this "we're human beings" crap from D. Jackson is Oprah Winfrey couch-talk.

Go ask people who played against Jack Lambert or Rich "Tombstone" Jackson or Conrad Dobler or Lester Hayes how much they talked, spit, bit and clawed. It's pro football. If your emotional sensibilities are that delicate, find another line of work.

At any rate, I blame last night's debacle squarely on the coaching staff. The Shanahans and Jim Haslett had two weeks to prepare for this game, and they - particularly Haslett - failed miserably.

It was bad enough for years when the Redskins had an anemic offense and a very good defense, but now they still have an anemic offense as well as a porous defense, all in the name of running the almighty "3-4."

What a joke.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

ryp, a head, or some heads gotta roll, right....I mean, can't have 59 hung on you, and not have some cats get gutted...Heyer, Moore, Galloway, RWilliams, just off the top of my head..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

How does Landry spit on someone with a full fledged adult pacifier in his mouth?

Posted by: right3 | November 16, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Last year, some of us kept saying QB wasn't the biggest problem on this team.

This year, it's the same story. But for some reason, we keep wanting to throw draft picks and money at the QB position... and we keep getting the same results.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

AFTER A DECADE

snyder continues to think he's losing his fan base and is still trying to field a WIN NOW team while he RE-BUILDS. the problem with this plan is that any reasonable fan that understands what it takes to re-build and is willing to be patient in the process, sees snyder wasting draft picks and doing business as usual. big splash trades and signings announced before the kick-off on a monday nite game. sick of hearing posters comment that we have to make do with what we have. if the FO starts to make the right decisions, than we'll have a team that won't embarrass us during a nationally televised game.

it's time to stop defending anyone that owns, manages, coaches, trains, or plays for this team, otherwise, it's just more excuses for a decade of misery

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Seriously? Shananhan was fired by Al Davis in what '86 and then again in '08, ah that's over 20 years between firings. Haslett was fired once as HC of the Saints after the season in which Katrina happen. Allen was only fired from Tampa. He left Oakland on his own. Good Football people get fired in the NFL all the time. So get your facts straight before posting ridiculous statements. The Eagles are better than the skins. Vick played perhaps the best game a QB has played in the past 10 years. The sky is not falling we are just very average and you can't fix all the holes in one year.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Greg - yeah, all those guys, plus Rabach will be gone next year... of course, there's not much out there to replace them right now so I guess we're stuck with them.

As soon as I saw LL jawing pregame, I knew we were in trouble. I said, I guarantee they go at him first play. Too easy.

Can we ditch Has and the 3-4 next year?

And we're out our 3rd and 4th rounders in 2011 right?

Sweeeeet....

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

...by the way, J Galloway had just as many catches for the Skins last night as D Thomas did.

Except Galloway was on the field.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Confidence.

The Eagles are a confident team right now and the Redskins aren't. It was the other way around the last time they played. Either way, they split the series.

The Giants lost to Dallas on Sunday and everyone was hailing them as the "best team in the nfc" just last week.

Still a lot of season left, but it just goes to show how all of that negative energy from the last two weeks that the media stirred CAN effect the karma of a team.

If I were Shananhan I'd shut off the media the rest of the season. It's bigger then just one player.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:09 AM |
--------

dude, snyder has been fixing holes for 10 years now.

So get your facts straight before posting ridiculous statements.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

It's time to stop defending anyone that owns, manages, coaches, trains, or plays for this team, otherwise, it's just more excuses for a decade of misery

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Good does this mean we won't have to read your ridiculous post up here anymore. Take an effin chill pill dude. Did you really think we were headed to the playoffs this year. Newsflash we were 4-12 last year, WE AREN'T VERY GOOD, get used to it. You can't change 10 years of mismanagement overnight. Let's show some patience.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

After looking at this for a good number of games, one thing is blindly evident but never talked about...

We should have never gone to the 3-4 with the players we have.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

The Mcnabb deal is Worst signing of the Decade, smells like Snyder had his hand in on this one. Another over the hill player signed to a big fat contract. Again the fans must pay and suffer through more of the same old same old ( mediocrity ). There is only one way to solve this problem, and that is to simply Boycot the Snyder ! Its a shame Fans of the decades must now suffer with this Sham of a team

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 16, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry people but as a life-long Eagles fan, I am really enjoying this. Your posts are highly entertaining. Maybe it's wrong of me to be taking so much pleasure at your expense but I can't help it. LOL

Posted by: Discerning1 | November 16, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

They were 4-12 last year. They're 4-5 right now with 7 games left.

As much as I blame Shanahan and especially Haslett for last night's beat-down, this is only their first season in DC, and the same goes for Bruce Allen.

Some patience is required.

However, what I do find mystifying, and a bit troubling, is why Allen/Shanahan continue- week after week - to allow Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams to take up 2 rosters spots. I'm sure they're swell guys, but as football players they are now absolutely useless.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Heyer, Moore, Galloway, RWilliams, just off the top of my head..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 9:01 AM

Bean -- We gave up 59 points so we need to cut some guys from the offense?

Problem with cutting guys is that they're better than the ones who will be replacing them. Although, that's hard to believe in Galloway's case.

It will be interesting to see how Shanahan handles this and how the 'Skins play this Sunday. I still hang the blame on the players. And Vinny, of course, who left the team in a deep hole.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Is Fred Davis slooooooow or what? Getting
caught from behind like he did was bad enough, but then self-congratulating
himself after his failed attempt to get in the end zone was beyond the pale. His self
congrats last year cost us a penalty. He needs to be benched as does Joey Galloway.
Both of these guys have a false sense of self that needs to be corrected. Also, Kyle called a rotten game once again!

Posted by: DeployedFan | November 16, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

McNabb the problem? Please. Two of his three picks were the fault of the receivers - Moss on the dropped pass and Galloway for not running a sharper route - and the guy had several other dropped passes on top of it. At least three potential third down conversions blown by our receivers. Finally, we have a solid QB. I'll take completions of 76 and 71 yards in the same game and leading the league in completions of 50+ yards any day I can get it.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | November 16, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I predicted a close game last night. Games between NFC East rivals are almost always tough, close games no matter how either team is doing against the rest of the NFL.

I was wrong.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Everyone understands that essentially the McNabb extension is basically a 10 million 1-year deal for 2011, that's it. So this gives us a veteran QB for next year, we can still draft the QB of future in the next year or two. This is a GOOD MOVE whether you think it is or not. 5 is a better option 75% of the other QB options out there. Well Jake Delhomme should be available maybe we can sign him instead.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:14 AM |

not if you operate a team the same way year over year. I guess you like the way snyder operates this franchise.

BTW, I'm out of chill pills after 10 years. doctor won't re-fill my perscription

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

pointing out fred davis as a culprit last night...um...Wow...just wow...thats beyond my scope of comprehension...

beep, I listed Kareem Moore as a guy who should get the ax, for lack of performance, and understanding how to tackle, or take the proper angle on a play....Heyer/Galloway/Williams, need to go just because they don't do anything, there's no point in having them on the roster...get TAustin up here, and get some of the rookie OLinemen up here..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The following redskins have no business on an NFL Roster:

1.Joey Galloway
D.Casey Rabach
$.Stephon Heyer
r.Kory Lichtensteiger
3.Artis Hicks
Ω.anybody who can't beat them out for a starting job.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Couldnt we have used that 40 million to address some bigger issues with this team?

I mean really. O-line? Recievers? D-line? Linebackers? Running Back?

When you think about it, we are VERY lucky to have 4 wins with all the holes we have.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Well, I did say it would be interesting, didn't I?

I was surprisingly not that mad, too. I was calling for Shanny to forefeit after it got to 45 or so... That would have been best. Don't give those SJK-wads more chances to SJK it up... throw in the towel. You suck.

They certainly have their work cut out for them RE the Iggles. I'm not sure how this translates to the other teams we're facing, tho.

The silver lining is it still only counts as one loss... lol. Ok, 1.5 being it's an in division game. Need to win those, Mikey.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No I don't like the way Snyder ran the team for the past 10 years. However, I do think he has made a change in the way he manages the team by getting rid of Vinny and hiring football people. I'm sorry but that is the kind of change EVERY SKINS, including you my friend, wanted to see and clamored for on this blog over the past 5 years. He hired two respected football men to run the show. With that kind of change, I'm willing to give these two guys, who have spent their lives in football, more than 9 games to prove that they can change the culture at The Park. You can't change a losing culture in less than a year. It's takes time, let's give them some.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | November 16, 2010 9:22 AM

This team would have had a 0.500 record last year without all the dropsies. That's not a new problem for this team.

McNabb goes down the field more than the last regime, but he's still throwing more picks (including some pick 6's) than TDs. Maybe that's why our former QB had to go to another team to get the confidence that his recievers would actually fight for the ball.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Just one example I saw #75 get beat last night, over and over again.

You have to admit the players Shanahan and Allen drafted, signed and brought here are largely ineffective.

You have to admit that win now, given the decade of buffoonery that preceded it, is not working whatsoever.

You have to admit that Shanny has made some odd coaching decisions as a Redskin.

You have to admit that the McNabb contract extension -- certainly its timing -- has got Dan Snyder written all over it.

You have to admit the Redskins appeared unmotivated and unprepared to play a football game last night.

The only thing that makes sense now is a hard rebuildling program.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Offense lacks personnel across the board and is learning a new system with a new QB---they are going to be pretty darn bad. More alarming is a defense with some level talent (Orakpo, Hall, Landry, Haynesworth, Rogers, Fletcher) who gets out hustled and out coached. Growing pains with a 3-4 switch aside, Haslett is a big question mark and was embarassed by Reid/Mornhinweg. Haslett was exposed in Houston, St. Louis, and Detroit games. The list of needs is long: #1 WR, 3 O-lineman, FS, RB, #3 CB, young QB to develop, etc...I think a defensive coordinator might be the first place to start in a viable three year plan.

Posted by: talonflier | November 16, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I thinks it's funny that so many people are zeroed in on McNabb this morning after the Skins defense gave up 59 points.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The following redskins have no business on an NFL Roster:

1.Joey Galloway
D.Casey Rabach
$.Stephon Heyer
r.Kory Lichtensteiger
3.Artis Hicks
Ω.anybody who can't beat them out for a starting job.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2010 9:27 AM

And we're supposed to take the word of a guy who didn't even learn his a b c's? Or was it his 1 2 3's?

Used to think that etrod was E. T. Rodgers. Maybe it's just ET.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Players or Scheme?

In the beginning, the D looked like it didn't give a crap. Players were running by and through them and their was NO HITTING going on. The Fletcher had a D pow-wow and they started playing with some real intensity...and Philly just kept on crushing them.

Our D line generated little to no pass rush last night, and gave up over 240 yards rushing. Where were our LB's all night. Was everyone playing deep? Lot of good it did. We might have some older players on D, but our scheme openly stinks.

Posted by: edvar | November 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is, they are going to be forced to spend alot of $$$ on FA OLinemen AND DLineman this year.....And they ain't cheap....

And hope to hit on a QB in the 2nd/3rd/4th round in the draft.....Like Colt McCoy who I advocated picking with our 2nd round pick before we got McNabb.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Haslett is a big question mark and was embarassed by Reid/Mornhinweg.

It was Mike Vick that exposed us moreso than any coaching schemes. It's not like we weren't close to dead last in the NFL in most defensive statistical categories before this game.

The only solace we may be able to take from the game is that Vick has become the best player in the entire league, and is currently playing on a level no one else can. As long as he keeps that up, plenty of defenses besides ours will be toast.

Posted by: divi3 | November 16, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:30 AM |

forever, you miss my point.

fans are willing to be patient, but snyder doesn't give his fan base any credit for there football knowledge and is pressed into thinking he must field a winner now. if you think this deal with mcnabb doesn't stink of snyder, knock yourself out. it has nothing to do with patients or real football peeps, it has everything to do with the FO.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I mean really. O-line? Recievers? D-line? Linebackers? Running Back?

JUST TO BE CLEAR HERE PEOPLE: THE MCNABB DEAL IS ESSENTIALLY A 1 YEAR CONTRACT AT 10 MILLION FOR NEXT YEAR 2011, ONLY. Stop with the, The Deal stinks of Snyder throwing away 40 million. I think 10 million for a veteran QB who does make us better, even with his flaws. We are not on the hook for 40 mil as report and that is confirmed by Fletcher Smith, McNabb's agent.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:33 AM

STAMPED

And Torrain was out, which left us with ONE RB....Just one for the game....Can you say 'unexpected' and 'setback' because CP26 wasn't fully healthy yet?

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Dam the Redskins Kool Aide hangover is one wicked biitch...(need some Ovi brand asprin)

Well I think we are all quite familiar with this place in the season right? Where every hope/wish fullfillment/glass half full/spin comes crashing down into the stark reality on just how disfuctional and azz-backwards this team is. I think I'll just find my comfy chair, get the bourbon tab set to bottle service and lose myself in a cloud of forget....again.

Washington where football playing/coaching careers and reputations come to crash and burn in full prime time HD technicolor!

Oh well...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:33 AM

Yeah, BeantownGreg wants to cut one defender and three offensive players. If we lose that way again, Beantown will gut the offense and cut a second defensive player.

I actually thought the 28 points that the offense put up was pretty good. That's the most points we've put up this year.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Of course it's the scheme. The players didn't suddenly all become old and slow in the offseason.

I (and others on here) questioned the "need" to switch to a 3-4 as soon as the Skins announced they intended to switch to the 3-4.

This has been a good-to-very good defense over the last several years, so why would anyone want to monkey with it?

It seems to me if you're Shanahan/Allen and you want to change the football culture of the Skins and rebuild a weak offense, the prudent thing to do is to stick with the one area where the team has actually been fairly steady: defense.

But what do I know, I'm just a dude on a blog.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Did Joe Gibbs bring a losing culture? The two December playoff runs were the anti-thesis of a "losing" culture. Why didnt Shanny have the team ready after a bye?

There's never, EVER any excuse from coming out that flat, let alone in a game that big. Gibbs2.0 had some horrible offensive schemes and almost non-existent points scoring....but the players were running through brick walls for the coach every single week.

Last night's 'performance' begs huge questions about where Shanny is with this team.

Posted by: divi3 | November 16, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Defense is offensive. Never have I seen such bad defense play. It’s not all the players fault though. Coaching? Scheme? Yes a combination…Fix it now. Make the changes. Rated the worst defense in the league???? Jeeeez!!!

Posted by: fat_back | November 16, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8

Agree that McN contract is good but at most 2 years will go... I expect in that 2 years he will take us to the playoffs

Posted by: ElYeah | November 16, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Assigning blame to any one/few elements after a gigantic can of whup-azz has been opened on you like that is like trying to take a peepee on the Hindenberg

"Oh the humanity"

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I hear you hess, I would agree with everything you say about Snyder until he made this change. I don't see the McNabb thing as a win now. I see it as more to try and stabilize the position that has been in flux since we drafted Heath Shuler. I don't think there is anything wrong with 10 million for QB who is respected by his teammates, handles himself like a true professional on and off the field to help change the culture at The Park. You need guys that have accomplished things in this league and that young guys respect to show how to be an NFL player. That's something that has surely been lacking in Ashburn for the past ten years including Gibbs 2.0. I just don't see it as a Win-Now approach. I see it as putting a respected player in a power position within the team to help establish a professional and hopefully winning culture. I think we can all agree that's what we want. We just have different takes on how they are getting there.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The Sky has been Falling since 1993, thats just the sad fact. Our only hopes have been building better umbrellas.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Hess -- I think Snyder's behavior isn't due to anxiety about losing fans as much as it is about what he wants to see. He doesn't think long-term and he always wants to make a splash. It's what marketing is all about -- what he's good at -- it's coded in his DNA.

That said, I don't think he's involved much in any serious way making football decisions right now. But he may have pushed Shanahan and Allen on getting McNabb signed...I think it's hard to understand the situation any other way.

For me Snyder's "tell" was the way he launched himself back into the public spotlight after hiring Shanahan. He needs to be recognized; it all really is about him. One of those Dallas Cowboy sock puppets referred to Snyder as Jerrah's "mini-me." It's true. It hurts but it's funny too.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

But what do I know, I'm just a dude on a blog.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 16, 2010 9:42 AM |

man 21, do I feel your pain. HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 16, 2010 9:13 AM |

ray, with all due respect, you can't blame the media for last nites performance.

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"For me Snyder's "tell" was the way he launched himself back into the public spotlight after hiring Shanahan"

You just can't make this stuff up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

People pointing to particular individuals as the reason the Skins lost are missing the big picture. The Skins are not as talented as the other teams in their division. For them to win, they have to cause turnovers (ie limit possessions) on defense, and they have to rely on the big play on offense while limit their turnovers. Both are recipes for disaster over the long haul of the season. Last night the team got bit. I think by now, we all know the areas that have to be upgraded. The team is still on track for 8-8. They are who they are.

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Gentelmen, look. Yes we loss...badly. Yes, McNabb threw 3 int's. But the thing is, why are we so upset at McNabb.

What other options do we have? Getting a rookie, with all new players next year? Trading away more draft picks to get another QB?

We have too many holes. Too much lack of talent. But we have a decent QB. If you build talent around him, he will do well.

Last night our lack of talent, youth, and speed was exposed.

It is hard to find a Solid Center in a draft. The only two I know of from the past 5 years or so is Pouncey and dude from the Jets.

You can't go out and draft 4 new O linemen. What are a bunch of rookies going to do on the O line next year? Mess up.

In addition, I can't believe some people are blaming this all on Shanny. He has had one offseason. He hasn't even made this team his yet.

This season was not going to be all beautiful. Our lack of talent was going to be exposed sooner than later.

I am not trying to make any excuses, but the thing is we have to rebuild this roster. That can't happen in one offseason.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I dunno - it seems kinda like a big ol' colonic. hehehehe.

Sure smells like one.

Yeh. I'm not necessarily sold on Haslett. You've got some high talent on that D. You should be able to do better.
Not great... just better.

I thought last game VelosOrakpo was on Vick the whole game... what happened to that idea?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

So now Snyders handle is forever 8-8, I am feeling a tear rise up in me now.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like more bad sportsmanship from the Redskins got the Eagles riled. Landry and Hall should keep their mouths shut and play ball. Jackson and Vick probably got fired up and said "We'll show 'em." And "show 'em" they did, from the first play on. Let your play do the talking guys, and keep your mouths shut. As for McNabb, they scored 28 points. How can you blame McNabb? The line can't protect him and the receivers can't catch the ball. This will improve in time, but only with new personnel--and hopefully some better character guys.

Posted by: OintheSierras | November 16, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Just want to say to all you fairweather fans. Any idiot can spout their 'informed' opinion the day after. IMO the 52-7 loss to Pats was waaaaaay worse. McNabb don't play defense. FAN 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | November 16, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 16, 2010 9:57 AM |

rocco, that's the problem right there. do you want to re-build and stay old or re-build and get young ?

trade and FA's or draft picks?

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Out of 10 attempted 3rd down conversions
we managed zero. Just pathetic, whether it was due to dropped passes or poor play calling. DM5 needs to roll out more since our O-line can't protect him. Too, we need an experienced OC who works up in the booth so he can see the entire field and (like our current OC) can't deal with the players face to face.

Posted by: DeployedFan | November 16, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Oh the humanity"

Posted by: chrislarry | November 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

LOL!! I can't stop laughing. This blog is too funny! This is so entertaining that I can't get my work done! HA HA HA!

Posted by: Discerning1 | November 16, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 16, 2010 9:41 AM

Ironically, the Skins have lost while scoring 27, 16, 24, 25, and 28.

The winning scores have been 13, 17, 16, and 17.

Go figure.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

the infestation of snyder interns on this blog seems perplexed by their inability to control the message today. hint: it stems from your boss's destruction of this one great franchise and his continued ineptitude in basic football doctrine and personnel decisionmaking.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"So now Snyders handle is forever 8-8, I am feeling a tear rise up in me now."

I don't even know what you are trying to say. All I'm saying is 10 million for another year with a solid QB isn't a bad deal. A little perspective, Jake Delhomme is getting 7 million in Cleveland this year. Just saying. I guess, ThrowItToMyTeam, is Vinny's new handle.

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 16, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | November 16, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Read my posts BEFORE the game then tatz.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 16, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: hessone | November 16, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If Courtland Milloy wants to write columns for the Post about the black male characters in Tyler Perry's movies, he need look no further than last night's pre-game knuckleheaded scuffle. That wasn't Adam Carriker and Corey Lichtensteiger involved in stirring up that pot. And then, the Redskin knuckleheads involved in that "ain't gettin' no respect" fracas lead the Skins defense to a 35-0 hole in just over a quarter of work. And to think, you pay these guys millions of dollars. Only in America.

Posted by: Husker78 | November 16, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

like I said before the season haslett's defenses in new orleans were bad and he has brought the same stupidity to washington but remember shamm-o-KLAN wanted a 3-4 defense NO team gave up 59 pts this year to the eagles until the idiotic, old, slow-footed washington team took the field and they were utterly destroyed, vick was out their last year for the taking but the dolts here as usual blew it. this team is prepared for another 10+ season loss the DIC-tater has his relatives and friends coaching the so-called team he was on the side-line in a complete state of shock and awe..keep drinking the kool-aid!

Posted by: wathu19 | November 16, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The first play of the last TWO games has set the expectations of what to expect for the duration of the game.

Lions: Rabach steps on McNabbs foot, #5 goes down...sack

Eagles: 2 deep coverage, DHall fails to press DJax giving him a free release, Orakpo held and not called, Landry gets beat over the top...TD

I actually like the McNabb signing after finding out that they can get out of the deal after 2011 even though we don't have the luxury of drafting a QB this year with our needs at C, OG (2), NT, WR (2), 3-4 DE (2), FS, CB, RB, etc F'ing etc..
TD

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

2 weeks to game plan for the Eagles and this is what Haslett came up with? Safetys and Fletcher play so deep that any play results in a first down and they still let the receivers get behind them. I'm 64 years old and I'm confident that I could juke Kareem Moore in an open field.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 16, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

For all of the McNabb haters saying he's not the answer at QB then tell me who is? Drafting a QB? That's a crap shoot. You take a QB in the first round and he doesn't pan out that sets your franchise back 5 years. Not to mention the Skins have MANY problems and MANY holes in the roster to fill. It's not like they are a QB away from being great. For every Matt Ryan or Mark Sanchez there is a Jamarcus Russell or Brady Quinn. We obviously need a QB to groom for the future but to think turning this mess over to a rookie QB next season would somehow be an improvement is crazy.

Posted by: renhoekk2 | November 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Landry is an inarticulate dope.

Posted by: dbunkr | November 16, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@Vic1 who said "Meanwhile on the other side of the line, I guess we can look for Joey Galloway to be a beast against Tennessee. What a waste of a roster space!" But, gee, guy, our acclaimed coach chose "order" over speed and talent. He came in with that same old John Wayne "tough guy B S" like THAT is gonna make a difference on a team with little offensive talent. Crapola of the Nth Magnitude.

Posted by: dcjazzman | November 16, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I left the Stadium after the 3rd quarter, I was about to throw up amidst my colleagues, it was an embarrassment. But just some things I don't understand, how come all the fumbles bounced Eagles way? How come all the calls by refs favored the Eagles? How come all the challenge reviews favored the Eagles? How could all the refs not see severe holding on our D-linemen. How come everything Vick throw up is being caught? How come every Skins tacklers looks like they have butter fingers? I'll be shocked if we rebound from this. Not taking anything away from Vick and the Eagles, I commend their effort, they won.

Posted by: abxinc | November 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

AFTER A DECADE

Posted by: hessone

I think you nailed it!

Posted by: gmac78 | November 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Seriously - is there some type of translation device on the internet that will decipher the following quote? I have a college education just like every single NFL player allegedly does, yet I have no clue what is being said.

Posted by: fakedude2 | November 16, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fakedude2 | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Tough game. Defense had nothing from the gate. Offense was terrible until they got out of the scripted plays. Mike Vick played the best game of any QB ever and Haslett should've had them ready. Vick's been on an MVP pace since he got the nod from andy. He's got a ton of weapons and a coach who isn't too smart to use them. My Skins on the other hand have the worst wr corps I've ever witnessed. These guys are soo much worse than the mob McNabb had in philly (Stinkston,FredEx,Reggie Brown) and what happened to Chris Cooley. I know it's taboo to talk about cooley unless i'm giving a verbal beeeeejaaayy but he can't catch a cold. Armstrong is clearly suffering from Clinto Portis balance issues. He can't maintain his speed with the ball. Him and Joey are both bodycatchers now. That's why AA has hung Donovan out to dry on his last coupla picks. AA doesn't attack the ball with his hands he waits for it to reach his body, same with Joey. Those two have to be worse than DT11 and MK12. Where's Marko Mitchell, somebody to stretch the field?I see Jason Campbell chuckin it in Oakland to a buncha guys nobody thought very much of. where is our passing game? I'm tired of all these workout warrior,conditioning test pros we've got, who never show up on gameday. Give me a guy who shoots music videos and nods off in meetings as long as he's a bulldog with the ball. DT11 is everything that is missing from our wr corps. Shanahan and his personnel choices and player development has left much to be desired. i'm not totally on a ledge right now, but my eyes are definitely towards next season.

The Shanahans continue to impress.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forever8-8

forever 8-8, you are a snyder troll.

Jake Delhomme signed a short-term 2-year contract for $12.4 million. this includes the following guaranteed: 2010: $855,000, 2011: $5.4 million.

that is completely reasonable for a veteran backup QB.

not close to comparable to the absurd 5 year $78 million ($88 million with incentives); and $40 million guaranteed. (we also traded a 2nd and 3rd/4th round pick).

now, McNabb is probably as good as we could get in free agency. But is he, at 34, one of the top 5-10 QBs in the league? when no other team in the league would come close to that kind of offer for him. And, spending all that money restricts your other options at every other position.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | November 16, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow! What an embarrasement.... It just seems like since Snyder took ownership this team has been snake bitten with the worst management and coaching decisions in the history of the NFL.

Laughing stock of the sporting world.

Posted by: sd-bones | November 16, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that Landry feels the need to stare down an opposing player after the player converts a first down or a big play? Dude, you just got beat, walk away!

Skins fans, now you see what Eagles fans have been dealing with for so long with 'Nabb. Inaccurate passes, untimely turnovers, passive aggressive attitude (e.g "we" threw the ball in the dirt, not "I"). His act just grew stale over the years and I'm glad he's gone now.

Posted by: Eaglesfan55 | November 16, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | November 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

LOL! Don't be such a crybaby! Your team lost. Accept it and move on! Oh, how I am enjoying this!

Posted by: Discerning1 | November 16, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Landry seems to forget his past couple of years, now that he is "juiced" up and playing better, he wants to run his mouth after every play, even if the opponent just scored on him, got a big gain, or he just made a normal tackle.

Here is a novel idea, why dont DBAG Hall, FatAL, and Toasted Juice Landry, shut their F'in mouths and just play hard!!!!!

I would be happy if we traded all 3 for a 2nd and 3rd round pick,,,sad thing is NO ONE would take them and they are all "all pro's" at one point, well I am thinking maybe Juice will get All pro this year. Atleast they think highly of themselves, but no other team does!!!!!

Posted by: cm88 | November 16, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Until this team gets a center, a right guard and gets Dockery back to starting this offense will continue to suck. Also will someone please tell our guru of a OC and HC that Joey Galloway IS FRICKING DONE! He is slow as hell and can't catch a damn cold! We released Thomas for that Geritol Taking old fart? WOW I see McNabb was smart to take the money he won't last the year. Also that defense stunk last night, 59 points? WOW that defense has no manhood a complete embarrassment!

Posted by: rpenman65 | November 16, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rpenman65 | November 16, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Vick vs McNabb twice a year for the next 5 will be a better rivalry than Romo.

Posted by: jercha | November 16, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Landry ran his mouth before the game and got his azz run over in the game. He got absolutely owned by DJack.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | November 16, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Landry is a knucklehead, no doubt, but he's not getting any help out there and at least he plays with effort. Hall didn't help him on the first play plus we play passive and Vick had 8 seconds to throw. But Moore is terrible out there. He is non existent. He make very few plays in coverage and he hasn't made a tackle since he's been on the team. Your safeties have to be able to tackle in the NFL. What is worse is seeing guys like Alexander, Carter, and even Orakpo trying to play in space. Those guys can only be effective if they are attacking, probably from a 3 point stance. All of the blame cannot go to Hasslet for playing a 3-4 defense. He was told to run it and he doesn't have to correct guys to run it. Personnel-wise the Skins could switch back to a 4-3 today and be much better. At least it get Fat Al on the field. It's sad to say that we are better even though he only gives an effort on 50% of the plays that he is on the field.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | November 16, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with an earlier comment about more commentary rather than repeating the inane and basically stupid and obvious comments from the players. "We got whupped". Really? Is that what happened? Golly gee, from the spectacle I witnessed, you guys were awesome - with the chest-thumping and stare-downs. Did you guys lose? Really?

Jason Reid, please stop peddling the comments from the "players" it is just embarassing for all.

On another note, can we get an analysis on why it is acceptable to turn a top 10 defense into a laughingstock in less than one year and how one can somehow retain their job??

I ask, because I might be interested in applying next year.

Posted by: lobsterME | November 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"After a 4-12 season and back to back last place division finishes, a new head coach should've come in to Redskin Park with a desire to rebuild, not "win now."

Donovan McNabb isn't the long term solution to fixing what ails the redskins."

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Absolutely right in every way. Terrific post.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | November 16, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Not to defend Snyder, who is an embarrassement, but he did not mortgage the future with this deal. From ESPN:

So in essence, the Redskins paid McNabb $3.75 million in 2010 for the right to pay him $12.5 million in 2011 and control his rights. If the Redskins cut him after this season or trade him, they are only on the hook for the $3.75 million.
-----------------------

This team gives up touchdowns on its first five defensive series, and McNabb is the problem? I'm not sure who the bigger loser is in Washington, Dan Snyder or the delusional fans who think this.

McNabb is not the "answer" to a long term question, but for all those who hated his signing from the get go, can you please let us know who you'd rather have at QB? PManning, DBrees and TBrady would all be ineffective with this offense.

Posted by: Alisterio | November 16, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This happens because guys like this writer and Boswell and other Deadskins homers play up cheap shot head hunters like Landry. This is what you get. The good thing was they GOT theirs last night. And how pathetic did Hall look trying to tackle guys.

Bunch of pukes and thugs who got what was coming to them. BTW I thought Haynesworth played the best for that team - when he was on the field. Smart move taking him out on the running plays - NOT!!!

And oh Deadskins fans you got what was coming to you also - 4 years more of a washed up QB. Thanks for the Draft picks. That ought to screw your team for at least two more years. Danny Boy...

Posted by: Dog-1 | November 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

OK. Here's what we have and what we need:

O-line: We need 2 guards and a center.
(The tackles will improve.)

Wide Receiver: We need a #1 and #3
(Moss would be great as a #2
and Armstrong is a solid #3
or #4)

Runningback: a true #1 (Portis can fill in
and grroom him till
he's ready -Torrain
and Williams 3&4 )

QB: A promising young guy for McNabb to
groom.
Defense:
3 LB's to go with Orakpo (Fletcher can groom until ready).

2 DE's who can rush the passer and another DT (to go with AH who is the only real talent we have on the D-line. Get rid of
Haslett before AH.)

1 true shutdown #1 corner (Hall and Rogers are a #2 and #3 at best.)

1 true Free Safety who can cover. Leave LL at Strong and try and cover for his shortcomings in coverage.)

Special teams:

A real punter (which I don't think we ever had-who can also kickoff INTO and BEYOND the endzone.) Gano can stay..for now.

That's it! Just 14 starters away from the Super Bowl baby! (Sorry Dad..and everyone else over 60- it may be awhile..but try and hang in there. The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step..er first 14 steps that is..but then we're on our way!)

Posted by: flyingtrees | November 16, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Shanny today, the team meeting would go like this:

D-backs. STFU and play, or GTFO.
O-Line. Grow a pair of cohones, or GTFO
WRs. Learn to run a route, or GTFO
Defense (except Fletcher and Orakpo): Learn to tackle or GTFO
Backs (including McN): Get in shape or GTFO
Shanny Jr: Learn to call a game or GTFO
Haslett: GTFO
Davis: GTFO
Haynesworth: GTFO
Snyder: F-U for luring me into this crappy job.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | November 16, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins must now be the laughing stock of the NFL. First the 2 minute debacle at the Detroit game, then the excuses for that decision, then the long term signing, then the taunts of the visiting team, then the horrible performance of the Redskins defense and fair performance of the offense. What does the rest of the season look like? Well, it would seem bleak, but then again look at the Cowboys beating the Giants on Sunday. I don't have much confidence in the Redskins.

Posted by: Larry66 | November 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworths effort on the Vick touchdown run. Speaks volumes about the 2010 Redskins.

My one lasting memory of Haynesworth, will be of him lying on the ground like a big heaping, steaming pile of grade A monkey crap.

Posted by: Defund_NPR | November 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
~~~
Touche'

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Old and slow. Sums it up right there.

Posted by: keithrjackson | November 16, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

the beat goes on.

the beat goes on, same thing over and over

Posted by: hessone
~~~~
De nouveau touche'

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 16, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Landry has always been playing him out of position. He was exposed last year. As much as people want to make him out to be Sean Taylor II, he isn't even close to ST I. Put him around the line of scrimmage where he excels. He is not suited for deep pass coverage. It's not a secret people. Putting him deep just made Reid and Vick's job that much easier.

Posted by: jdumb | November 16, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

First those in office now the Football team.. "shellacking"

Posted by: ohwell1 | November 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

How about that $40 million dollar QB, Washington??? ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posted by: g30rg3544 | November 16, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

@flyingtrees
~~
Some of these guys are already on the team. In a macabre sense,if the team loses a few more games, perhaps the coaching staff would be willing to look at LB/DE Chris Wilson, to me an Orakpo clone, though not as talented. Fred Davis, made a positive play-perhaps that'll be enough to keep him on the field. I know fans love to say Coooo, but Cooley doesn't run well at all now. Armstrong and Torain are keepers. So why not work CB Kevin Barnes into the mix a little more. Why isn't Perry Riley, the rookie LB out there more...injuries? When are we ever going to see if B.Westbrook can be a nickel-back, something other than a special teams player?

My point is there are some young'uns on the team-Shanahan won't play them. He got rid of D.Thomas without fully giving the kid a fair shot(but,whatever it's done).He was under 'Snyder's Belief'(see key below) as we know,it infects every coach the team has had, other than Shottenheimer.

I guess he had to see for himself the team's talent level and that we didn't have a playoff-ready team.

We still have a chance for a wildcard spot IF we can get on some kind of roll. Personally, I don't think we wil, but anything's possible.

~~~~
Key-

'Snyder's Belief'(plural Snyder's Beliefs')-Mid-Atlantic regional colloquialism-
1.Defined as the false hope or belief that the team is always just a player away or ONE offseason away from a Super Bowl run,resulting in hasty, poorly thought, decisions and player signings.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 16, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Why is Joey Galloway still with the Redskins or anybody else in pro football? He can't catch a cold anymore.

Posted by: jlhare1 | November 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that it is, just too old and slow. I really don't have an issue with McNabb. Much of his new contract is NOT guaranteed, so if he doesn't play well he will be gone.

The defense sux. Rusking only 3 DL against Vick was foolish. You can jam the receivers in the first 5 yards, we never do. The Redskin coaches got exposed by Philly. Not surprised that Philly went after us so aggressively in the 1st qtr. We should have taken out their best receivers in the first couple of series. Jammed them at the line of scrimmage and ruched more than 4.

I guess the players thought it was Tuesday Night Football.

Posted by: Redtopper2 | November 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Who on the skins could start for the Eagles on offense? Now you understand why McNabb is the least of our problems.

Posted by: 3rings | November 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

why anyone bothers anymore is truly beyond me. fine something else to do. let the GENIUS play with his toys, just stop giving him money. don't buy his junk, and DON'T WATCH THE GAME, because that's where most of his money comes from.

tune out and turn on to life without the deadskins.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | November 16, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alisterio
~~~
My problem with the trade was not McNabb,per se, but the idea the trade represented-that the Redskins continue to overestimate their talent level.

You're right-it would be hard for any QB to succeed with this offense, that's why we really needed to ignore the McNabb temptation and focus on our Offensive line.

There are some promising prospects at QB coming out in the next few years and because of McNabb's age we're going to have to groom one anyways, so why pluck one of them while working on the line first? (They still may do this)
You seem like you understand the team's bigger issues, again hopefully you understand how I see the McNabb signing. It's nothing personal(though I still see him as an Eagle...still hasn't sunk in yet).

Posted by: ArmchairGM | November 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I told all of you when he first got benched. You have to get used to "3 And Out" McNabb! We did it for years. He'll throw up those undefended and useless TD's and yardage once the game is out of hand. As an Eagles fan I always had a great deal of respect for the Skin's! Growing up watching Joe Gibb's Hogs, Theisman and Riggins, were great games! Snyder is absolutely NUTS!!! He just sold Shanahan down the river, not that he was the answer, but you now know that he values McNabb more than Shanahan. I suspect Shanny will resign after the season if not sooner. Just when things seemed to be turning around down there. Too bad you can't fire the owner! Best of luch Skin's fans!!!

Posted by: RedGreen | November 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

To 44x2901:

That's BS dude. We'll be back...

Some of us waited patiently and suffered through the humiliations of the 70's with Pardee -(and some like my pop well before that)- and then when Gibbs and Bobby Beathard arrived in 81' no one thought much of the talent we had on hand (Jacoby was a young undrafted nobody, Riggins a cast away malcontent, Monk a late 1st rounder from Syracuse wasn't that highly regarded, Thiesman wasn't setting the world on fire...

You know the rest.

The point being..the true fan sticks.

I can tell you personally, the flowers of Pasadena smelled a whole lot sweeter after all the sour years in the nfl wilderness...

And when we do arrive again..and believe me Mr. 44x2901 we will arrive again- (although this has been a particularly long stay in the wilderness)
-and when we do, those of us that stayed-(you know who you are-the ones who were still there last night in the freezing rain of the fourth futile quarter)- will relish that sweet smell.. as only one can who has loyally committed to something they love unconditionally and then see's it blossom under their constant vigil.

So yeah dude... We will be back.

I know I'll be there...

Posted by: flyingtrees | November 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Put on the seatbelts Skins fans. It will be years before we will be considered a REAL team. Too many holes and not enough heart. Be patient and let Shanny-Allen do their thing. It will be painful for a couple of years but the only way to turn things around.

Posted by: rdskns1975 | November 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Love the english that these players speak. I'm sure the reporters have to do a double take to make sure they aren't dumb.

Posted by: darrylrbaker | November 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Name another QB whose receivers regularly drop 3rd down passes that hit them in the hands...and have a line who couldn't slow a cool breeze...that win anything in the NFL?

You can't. Doesn't happen.

Outside of the Eagles stunning offensive performance, and our defensive ineptitude on many plays, it's a miracle our offense scored at all.

As lame as our offensive passing game is (Oldie Galloway, Santana Miss, and Roydell Who?) we have to tip our hats to the only glue that kept the offense together.

That's McNabb. Don't hate the guy. Leadership is essential, especially with some of the poor play we are getting from our team.

And the defense McNabb played against for 11 years had his number. Yeah, that's not news. It's to be expected.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | November 16, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Where is all the talk about Landry and Hall being pro bowl players? Last night demonstrated the weaknesses in both players. Weaknesses Blatch articulated,and took great criticism for doing so, and by playing it safe with those guys he was able to prevent the big play, after big play, after big play... If a defense stays on the field 40plus minutes a game you are bound to have players ranking at the top of the total tackles list. Landry and Fletcher are tied for 5th with 85, Hall is 19th with 71, McIntosh dropped to 27th with 67 total tackles. The Giants, ranked #1 in total defense, does not have anyone ranked in the top 40, the same could be said for #2 ranked San Diego. New Orleans the 3rd ranked defense, finally has Vilma showing up at #40 with 58 tackles. Clearly making millions of tackles gives a defensive player numerous opportunities for highlight moments, but it honestly is not the standard for judging pro bowl caliber players. These players do not fit the scheme and the coaches are not smart enough to figure that out but hey, they make some awfully great hits.

Posted by: jackattack949 | November 16, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

The article showing up on my email list in a couple of different versions just reminds me that the Washington footballers should change their mascot name to one that is respectful to native-Americans.

Posted by: edcooley | November 16, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Shanny today, the team meeting would go like this:

D-backs. STFU and play, or GTFO.
O-Line. Grow a pair of cohones, or GTFO
WRs. Learn to run a route, or GTFO
Defense (except Fletcher and Orakpo): Learn to tackle or GTFO
Backs (including McN): Get in shape or GTFO
Shanny Jr: Learn to call a game or GTFO
Haslett: GTFO
Davis: GTFO
Haynesworth: GTFO
Snyder: F-U for luring me into this crappy job.

And after Shanny tells all these people to GTFO, he should reach around and grab hold of his own ass, and throw it TFO.

Posted by: jfoster13 | November 16, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Millions for these football players - what a frickin joke! They need to go back to school and get educated so they have half a brain. Use duct tape to keep their mouth shut so we don't have to listen to their stupid remarks and their broken English. Cap salaries at $1M for these jokester role models.

Posted by: learning4ever | November 16, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This blog is longer than the list of FA's we have signed since 1998. Now of course everyone is going to be a little itchy after an absolute whooping on national TV. But seriously- what did everyone expect? Here is some much needed advice for all the haters out there.

McNabb is what he is. We can stop talking about 78 million unless he wins the next five superbowls. I believe the contract numbers were in line with an all-pro per year, which is is and has been year in and year out. What this contract means is at least a workable QB while Shann-Allen pick through the puppies and find four or five or the next three years until one steps up and shows something special. Until then, expect what McNabb has done most of his career. Throw the ball too hard at TE and RB's who have more tape than fingers showing. Be accurate on about 65% of his passes over 30 yards in the air. AND PLAY THE FREAKING GAME AS HARD AS HE CAN UNTIL HE NEEDS CRUTCHES TO GET TO THE HUDDLE.

Now for Haslett, this weeks "we shouldn't have." Shanny is building a team. He is building it around proven offensive and defensive schemes he has spent the last three years studying inside and out. When the personell we have gets it, or when we draft personell who get it, the D will be exactly what we have been used to seeing. Solid, and no butterflies protecting a six point lead. Until then we will be competitive in most games, and win some we shouldn't, and lose some we shouldn't.

Or DB's- scapegoats of the week. Landry is a beast and we keep him until he is a wheelchair because we never want to play against him. Ever. Lets remember again when we are reaming everyone but Santa Clause that if ST21 is on the field with him it is a very, very different story. Hall isn't Champ Bailey. but he is solid. Monday was a case of a QB on fire, playing at a speed the league is unfamiliar with.

What VICK did was what everyone in Atlanta THOUGHT he would do all along. He may be the best athlete ever to play QB, and now he is showing it.

Shannahan and Allen, Haslett and Shannahan. Did anyone think we would be better than this with the overall personell they were handed? We were never one, or two drafts away. I thought three from the beginning. We are just going to have to take the bad with the good. Beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posted by: fireballhank | November 18, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse