LaRon Landry off to a good start, but 'it can be better'

Strong safety LaRon Landry expected that he would thrive this season in Washington's new defensive scheme, and he's off to a very good start.

Landry is credited with an NFL-leading 28 tackles, including 21 unassisted. The four-year veteran has been a force in the Redskins' first two games while playing at the highest level of his career.

"Yeah, but like I said, it can be better," Landry said. "I'm not tryin' to have only 20 tackles or whatever. I'm tryin' to do whatever it takes to win. Maybe I need to have 30 or 40 tackles. Maybe we would be [2-0]. You know what I'm saying?"

In addition to Landry, several other Redskins are listed among the league leaders in tackles. Inside linebacker Rocky McIntosh is third with 24, cornerback DeAngelo Hall is tied for seventh with 21 and safety Reed Doughty is tied for 15th with 19.

Inside linebacker London Fletcher, second on the NFL.com list in 2009 with 142 tackles, is tied for 22nd with 18 tackles. "Just playing ball, man," McIntosh said. "We just have a lot of guys who go out and do their jobs."

By Jason Reid  | September 21, 2010; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  LaRon Landry
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins players vote to decertify union
Next: The Football Insider 2010 iPhone app

Comments

18 tackles isn't enough, I want 1,000 tackles

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 21, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Can't be the Dockery/Liscthensterlaisudhvl thing. They switch off whole series not plays. Good point on the Portis not having enough ass to be a lead blocker thing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

That's alot of tackling! Has our D gone up against an unusually high number of plays so far? It sure seems so.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

cornerback DeAngelo Hall is tied for seventh with 21

wait a second...I thought he missed the tackle on Jake Delhomme last year....confused...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know who's not practicing today?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and we're ranked 31st in pass defense. Ugly

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

cornerback DeAngelo Hall is tied for seventh with 21

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Yep, and Carlos Rogers dropped an INT last year.

Looks like they've both improved.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH'S SPOKESMAN DISMISSES TRADE TALKS

ASHBURN, VIRGINIA -- Disgruntled Washington Redskins defensive lineman is reportedly dismissing widely reported rumors and speculation that team officials are attempting to trade him to the Swedish Premier soccer league in exchange for Swiss star striker Hamm Samvich.

While the player himself is not saying much about it, official Haynesworth spokesman Me-angleo Hall said this morning that any such rumors are just that -- that is, only rumors -- at least and until they're proven true.

He said, "Oh come on. Haynesworth for a Hamm and Swiss Samvitch? You've got to be F-ing with me."

He added, "Hey this is my F-ing defense -- and nobody has told me a F-ing thing about it. So it just can't be true."

Hall concluded, "But if through some remote chance that dickwad Haslett is up to something like this, and he ain't told me, I'm going to kick his a$$. And F you and your mama too for even asking about it."

Posted by: Vic1 | September 21, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anybody's practicing today. It's their day off I believe.

Posted by: skinsfaninflorida | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

LarryWeisman
Clinton Portis weekly radio show taking place now. Sez rotation of o-linemen "shocked me ... caught me off guard

Rich_Campbell
Portis on running woes: "Being that we lost, you’ve got to find something to blame it on."
1 minute ago via TweetDeck

john_keim
CP: "Right now, it's just growing pains. "
less than 10 seconds ago via web

Rich_Campbell
Portis: "We really haven’t tried to establish the running game yet." ...I'm thinking Kyle would disagree.
less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anybody's practicing today. It's their day off I believe.

Posted by: skinsfaninflorida | September 21, 2010 11:28 AM |

Yep, I'm a day ahead of myself. Damn

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Rich_Campbell
Portis has a bruised arm: "Of course you’re gonna be sore, but as far as everything else, I think my recovery is going fine."
1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Rich_Campbell
Portis says he's fine with the amount of touches he's getting.
half a minute ago via TweetDeck

john_keim
CPortis on if he's getting enough touches: "Everyone would love to touch the ball more including myself." #Redskins
1 minute ago via web

Rich_Campbell
Portis on @DHall23: "You’ve got to know DeAngelo. DeAngelo is gonna always feel like he should be on the best receiver."
less than 20 seconds ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

With all these tackles, you'd think our defense would have forced more than 1 fumble.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 21, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:19 A

I'd say yes. No rushing game means no ball control.

Posted by: TWISI | September 21, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

john_keim But more CP on touches: "Playing without the ball in my hands makes me feel a part of the game."
less than 20 seconds ago via web

LarryWeisman CP on attitude after loss to #Texans: "As a team, we're jelling."
1 minute ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

This is the quandry... we have such high tackle totals cause the defense is on the field too long.

And having a safety leading that category doesnt speak too well to our defense as a whole.

Landry playing near the line offsets some of that. It would be a nice stat breakdown if we could get how many were at or behind the LOS, within 10 yards of the LOS and from there back.

I would think the majority are in that middle range, which is to be expected.

Now the real question is my next jersey gonna be #98 or #30... time to retire the ST21 75th

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the running game:
I think someone has figured out one of the offensive linemen is showing when they are going to run. It is probably just a foot placement thing, or getting lower in their stance kind of thing. Maybe it is just when Dockery is in, it’s a running play and when Lichenshrubbery is in, it’s a passing play. Something is telling the defense when the run is coming. I’d bet my last dollar on it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Maybe McNabb has a tell?

No running game in Philly, now no running game here.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry...am I the only one disturbed that a friggin' safety leads the team in tackles? I mean, if he leads in tackles for loss that means he's getting in the backfield making plays. But if your safety is making that many tackles, then plays are getting into your defensive backfield waaay too much...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

So many tackles because we are giving away too many plays, we need more 3 and outs to give our backers (D-backs and linebackers) fewer opportunities to tackle.

Posted by: dhartogs | September 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM

98 safer for the long run I would think

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Rich_Campbell
Portis complimented teammates on cohesion after the loss: "I think everybody in that locker room has the respect for the next guy."
half a minute ago via TweetDeck

dcsportsbog
What the hell. Portis hasn't said anything crazy yet. How am I supposed to fill blog space?
less than 20 seconds ago via web

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Maybe McNabb has a tell?

No running game in Philly, now no running game here.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM

Like I said...McNabb didn't have a run game in Philly because they didn't WANT to run, not because they COULDN'T run. Big difference...

The ground game will get fixed here. It'll take some time, but it'll get there. Shanahan's track record is too good for it not to.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for the updates....

brown, normally you would be, but given how they're using LL, up near the line, blitzing, etc, he should be leading the team.

vic, not funny the first time, nor the 2nd, but if thats what stirs your kool aid, have at it...recall how successful your other attempt at humor was...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

LaRon is clearly adjusting well to the 3-4 and would appear better suited to it and Haslett's more aggressive style. If only we had a dominant lineman to help free him and the LBs up even more...

GET YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ARSE 92!! GROW A PAIR, WE NEED YOU!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 21, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

john_keim
Uh-oh, last question. Cringe.
half a minute ago via web

LarryWeisman
CP: "Everything that comes out my mouth is the truth, whether people like it or not." Referencing last week, on women in locker room.
half a minute ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget that Landry is like another LB, so that is a misleading stat. It's not like the RB is getting to the second or 3rd level every time, some of those tackles are Landry being aggressive and getting past blockers, or blitzing.

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree PA;

But I pined for dirty thirty during that draft and after 3 woeful years it looks like i might be vindicated...

As for ST...I got it right before he died, like two weeks and said i would never wear another jersey, but it is getting dirty and i want to frame it still looking nice.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

A. It's OK we forgive you, no need to be sorry.

2. No, I am not disturbed at LL/A Safety leading us in tackles, as the scheme we are playing and the proximity that LL is playing to the line are dictating that things flow to him. I believe this is by design and I think that as the season progresses you'll see it be very effective. LL is making a ton of plays in the run game and getting in the backfield so it's fine that he is our leading tackler. Once K. Moore is back I will be even more optimistic.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 21, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"Landry is credited with an NFL-leading 28 tackles, including 21 unassisted."

Will the blogga who mocked my summertime idea that Landry "..will be Polamalu-lite this season..." please apologize?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:33 AM

NEVER RETIRE 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 21, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:35 AM
-----------------------------------------
Good point, Brown. Let's see, the pass defense is second to last in the league and the strong safety is leading the league in tackles... Hmmm. Now who should be dropping back in pass coverage more often.... Hmmm.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

And we all saw how well that worked out last year. We need a FS with speed to help the CB's... one who isnt looking to put a crushing hit on someone like a SS would.

It is really a waste of LL's talent to have him deep. Like it or not, where he is now is where he should be.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Landry makes a lot of his tackles on intermediate completed passes, brown.

When I see a 5 yard pass completed it's Landry that's usually first on the scene.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, you funny.

Mmmm... Polamalu-like.

By the way, Moe, did you see the video of Polamalu vaulting over the D and O-lines to get into the backfield in the Tennessee game? Incredible. Your PA homies must be delirious about the Steelers's D.

Posted by: rgj21 | September 21, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Landry is a beast at strong safety, now we just need a free safety that can make players!!!

Posted by: rickybrown_81 | September 21, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Don't discount that we have played against probably 2 of the top 5 QB's in the league. They pretty much withstood our constant pressure and gashed for a ton of yards. Lesson learned for Has. Now if we apply the same pressure to Bradford and he torches us for 400+ yards then I will be gravely concerned about our defense.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 21, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Landry is everywhere. Doesn't matter where he lines up. Doesn't matter what the play call is. When the play is over, Landry is usually the one standing over the ball-carrier.

This man has all-pro written on him should he keep his play up.

This season reminds of the year that it all "clicked" for ST21, albeit in a different role. Landry may just have settled into his zone.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but I'm almost as sick of the Steelers and their fans as I am the Cowpies, and that's a lot! There's 3 things I care about most on Sundays: Redskins winning, NFC East losing, hoping Steelers lose and staying away from stupid broken record fans with their '6 SBs, we need 2 hands'!!! UUUURRRGGGHHHH, I hate it!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:45 AM

RSH not sure you can make the connection you're implying. BTW, Keim said in the last game LL was about 7-9 yards from LOS. With his speed he's able to close fast in the running game from that location, while still getting depth in the passing game.

Posted by: TWISI | September 21, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 11:44 AM

Slow your roll there Moe...part of what makes Polamalu special is his ability to make a lot of impact plays. LL is playing much better and blowing cats up, but I don't see him picking anyone off and running it back for 6. I don't see him forcing a fumble, scooping it, and running it back to ice a game. Until then, he's just a more athletic version of his brother...

WG, all I'm sayin' is we already have a tackling machine by the name of London Fletcher. If we're building this D in the image of what Pittsburgh does, Polamalu doesn't lead their team in tackles...James Farrior does. I get that we're playing LL closer to the line and making him more like an extra LB, but that still means too many opponents are getting to the 2nd and 3rd level of our D. That's not good...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth

Well, perhaps one factor we haven't accounted for in assessing the defense's deficiencies is the lack of disrupting play in the center of the defensive line.

Albert Haynesworth

The idea in switching to the 3-4 was that the skins had on the roster certain once powerful, double-team quality linemen who'd 'mask' personnel weaknesses.

The team felt that that one player would make stand outlate game plays like M Williams did over T Williams.

Albert Haynesworth

Sadly, the one player Jim Haslett hoped would create trouble and make plays to free up his front line defenders hasn't been the force he hoped he would be.

He has chosen to be petulant and childish and, for whatever reason, non-existant though on the team.

Albert Haynesworth

And should the defense become a serious Achilles heel, only one person can be played for not contributing in a manner equal to his compensation:

>b>Albert Hayneswort

Yes, it's easy to say the defense's issues are all his fault.

But, in so many ways, they are.

Getting Albert Haynesworth on the same page would quickly resolve much of what ails the redskin defense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

i guess the plan is to loose winnable games this year so coaches can implement a d that the personnel of the roster cant support.. i'm not a genius or anything, but that sound stupid to me...

Posted by: cboyhater | September 21, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Moe You can lead a horse to water..etc..etc..

Posted by: Predator48 | September 21, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Dirty 30 getting props on the blog? WHere are all the bloggas that wanted him cut or traded during the off season?

And yes I realize that it is a lond season.

Posted by: dcwun | September 21, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

let's see:
Dallas gets 7 pts with Haynesworth
Houston gets 550 yds and 30 pts without Haynesworth.

Do you really think that they can go on without Haynesworth?????

Posted by: tbarz1 | September 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see if the Skins can win an away game in which it is favored.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Responding to PlayAction's wondering if McNabb might be tipping off run or pass.

I can saw with absolute CERTAINTY that there was a time at Philadelphia that you could tell if the play was a run or pass - when McNabb would move his head side to side, it was a pass play - when he looked forward, it was a run. I noticed this and used to keep track of the accuracy. I haven't noticed this trait in him lately, but I'll look - McNabb stopped doing this during his last two years with Philly, btw.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are 31 in number of plays defended (151), Cowboys are 1st at 108.

So after 2 games, our defense has been on the field FIFTY more plays that the Cowboys. That's saying something. Especially when we played them.

So yeah, plenty of tackles to go 'round.

Posted by: CByrd1 | September 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I know this is off subject but I want to say that many will disagree but the Cowboys will not go 0-16 this year.

Posted by: josettes | September 22, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry off 2A good start, but it can get better: LaRon is playing some aggressive football out there & he is laying down some hard its but yes it can get better! The REDSKINS have a more THOROUGH system this yr w/ the new coach, QB & players! Once the REDSKINS tighten up on there fundamentals & executing a game for 4 quarters they r going 2b a hard team 2 beat! The REDSKINS always seem 2 find a hard hitting safety & its just 2 bad that 36-S.T.-21 isnt back there w/ #30! Alvin Walton #40 & Brad Ewards #27 & so on were some hard hitting dudes @ safety 4 the REDSKINS! REDSKINS have the pieces 2 the puzzle now & its just a matter of time until they all get on the same pg & put the puzzle 2gether! LOYAL WASHINGTON REDSKINS FAN: E.

Posted by: E-34-P | September 22, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse