Posted at 6:01 AM ET, 12/ 3/2010

Roster analysis: LaRon Landry gets a pay raise

By J.I. Halsell
J.I. Halsell

Prior to Landry's injury, there was thought that perhaps the Redskins could leverage the uncapped year and come to an agreement on a lucrative contract extension, but the injury would seem to give the front office pause in committing a substantial amount of money to a player whose short-term health is uncertain.

While Landry may not land a financial windfall in 2010 through a contract extension, his play over the first nine games of the season were enough to provide him with a pay raise in 2011 under his current contract. Landry's rookie contract contains 2011 salary escalators that were based on his ability to reach certain total tackle thresholds over the first four years of his career.

The deal was structured to provide him with the following 2011 salary increases:

• 75+ total tackles in 2 of the first 3 seasons: $250,000
  • 65+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000
  • 75+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000
  • 95+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $500,000

Landry's total tackles from 2007 - 2010 have been 88, 65, 90, and 85, respectively. Entering 2010, Landry had already escalated his 2011 base salary of $1.97 million by $1.75 million by achieving the first two thresholds listed above. His performance over the first nine games of this season gave him his third 75+ tackle season and qualified him for the third threshold listed above which increased his salary by another $1.5 million.

As it stands currently and barring a contract extension, Landry is scheduled to earn a non-guaranteed salary of $5.22 million in 2011.

Landry currently leads NFC strong safeties in Pro Bowl voting If elected to the Pro Bowl this season, Landry can further increase his 2011 non-guaranteed salary by $350,000 to $5.57 million and make his 2011 cap number $8.15 million.

While an $8.15 million cap number (assuming there is a cap in 2011) -- $5.57 million of which comes in the form of non-guaranteed salary -- is not overly burdensome, it could nonetheless provide the impetus for a new deal for Landry and 2011 cap relief for the Redskins.

A native Washingtonian, J.I. Halsell spent two seasons as a salary cap analyst for the Washington Redskins. Prior to his tenure in Washington, he spent two years working in the NFL Management Council, and now pens a blog entitled "Under the Cap" for FootballOutsiders.com. Follow him on Twitter at @SalaryCap101.

By J.I. Halsell  | December 3, 2010; 6:01 AM ET
Categories:  LaRon Landry, Roster analysis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jon Embree has not yet finalized deal to coach Colorado
Next: Kyle Shanahan says rushing struggles are "huge factor"

Comments

Get the extension done. I just bought a Landry jersey.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

beep, another hour of halfway decent dialog before the 2 toddlers show up at 8:00a.

wonder what landry's status is for sunday ?

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

wonder what landry's status is for sunday ?

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:51 AM

"With LaRon Landry wearing a walking boot because of his Achilles' tendon injury, there's a distinct possibility that the safety's season could be coming to an end prematurely via the injured reserve list."

If J.I. is in the know at all, doesn't sound good.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:51 AM

Somehow it doesn't feel like morning on RI without Brownwood here to lead us.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

If J.I. is in the know at all, doesn't sound good.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 7:00 AM |

thanks 51, didn't read the thread and missed that info.

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Somehow it doesn't feel like morning on RI without Brownwood here to lead us.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 7:14 AM |

what's up with brown, haven't seen a post from him in days. RI needs his positive attitude

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Somehow it doesn't feel like morning on RI without Brownwood here to lead us.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 7:14 AM |

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 7:21 AM

I'm touched you guys even noticed.

Had to take a couple days off here to recharge the batteries...a dude can only take so much "cut Fletcher in 2011", "trade McNabb/Cooley", "Shanahan is the devil", and "bring back DT" nonsense before it takes its toll.

On Landry, the team would be wise to shut him down this year...the run to the playoffs looks less and less likely every week and there's no need in risking him popping that Achilles and effecting his 2011 season. Put him down, let him rehab it and hope he comes back in the same form he did to start 2010.

What else did I miss?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

What else did I miss?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 7:27 AM
-------------------------------------

Nothing much, except now Snyder wants to bleed us even more:

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | December 3, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Nice, FCS...better than him bleeding us dry with higher ticket prices though...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Roster analysis: LaRon Landry gets a pay raise

I'm happy for him.

He deserves the money.

Thing is, he's gonna want Polamalu type money when it's time to re-up.

And we're going to have to pay him then, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Sure, you could call him a NERD, but to me he's a NARCISSISTIC ASS!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM

beep...I hope that ulcer is making steady progress on your stomach lining, eating a hole straight to your black heart.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 2, 2010 6:41 PM

You really are a phuking prick. I can see why most people here think your a d0uche...because you actually are.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:52 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wow, where is the holiday season love? I scored the Hat Trick of Hatred – blasted out of the water by monk811, Chia_Pet, and scampbell1975 – in a nine-hour span.

Put me on the RI Injury report, Coach. I have been wounded by the anger, curses, and name-calling of the blog’s glitterati. I need to take time off for my hammies to heal.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

good to have you back brownie...

who knew the cavs were a bunch of gutless pukes....that was hard to watch at times, the only one who had any sense of pride was the assistant coach who told lebrom to get the f out of here.....

I know they lost, but the houston offense is fun to watch...they use every guy, and they adapt to the defense their facing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

moe...you see this:

A stunning tweet by SI.com's Jon Heyman that the Red Sox actually offered Mariano Rivera more money and years than the 2-year, $30 million deal he's expected to agree to with the Yankees some time on Friday according to the New York Daily News.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I remember hearing that Landy was having Achilles troubles before the Philly game...and that he missed a practice or two leading up to that game. Might it have been a problem that night? On the opening play (88 yard bucket of ice water dumped over our heads)the foot race between 175 lb. speedster Jackson and our 230 lb. mesomorph strong safety looked about like what you might expect. (Somebody neglected to bump him at the line) I wonder if the problem was exacerbated on that play...or over the course of the game.
Either way, the 11/15 Monday Nighter with the Beagles is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

What else did I miss?

There was complete chaos during your absence:

--a tossed dwarf complained about his abuse and folks told him his problems weren't big enough to worry about

--black race philospher Cornel West gave a speech at the local Klan rally and couldn't leave as the necktie they made for him left him hanging around longer than he intended

--haters decided to build a wall around the blog to prevent illegal immigration and hired a group of undocumented Mexicans to construct it

--whining has become the official language of the blog

--Andre Johnson beat up yet another Tennessee Titan

--the president froze the pay of the government workers who post daily which explains the sudden drop in the number of posts

--gimmiesummoe's erectile dysfunction medication went into overdrive, and he's had an erection for the past three days

--finally, frak came out of his drug dtupor and realized he'd spent too much time reading silly, unfunny posts..

....just as you are doing right now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

who knew the cavs were a bunch of gutless pukes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 8:12 AM

Answer: LeBron James, circa last June

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

beantown

I believe April 1st isn't today's date.

Try again in 5 months, pal.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:23 AM

You're supposed to call your Doctor if that happens...or an old girlfriend...can't remember which.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 7:27 AM

I'm with you on both counts.

It's extremely tedious to deal with all of the Queens on here screaming "Off with their heads!" after a loss.

I might go even further (especially if we lose on Sunday) and IR almost all of the dinged up guys. At this point we know what those injured vets can do. give them a chance to start the offseason recouperation process a little early. Bring up guys off our and other teams' practice squads and treat the rest of the season as a pre-preseason for next year. Give as many young guys as possible a chance for real game experience. Let's see who has the chance to become a keeper.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 3, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Greg.

I knew the Cavs were "gutless pukes"...that's probably why LeBron left to begin with. It's the owner and the fans that had it in for LeWrong...too bad they couldn't take the court instead, might've been a better game...

Agree on Houston...I was hoping Shanny Jr. would have us at least looking like that at times. No such luck thus far...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

What else did I miss?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 7:27 AM

Redskins.com has DT11 jerseys on sale for $20, just in time for Christmas. Hurry, though, because supplies are strictly limited.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

beantown

I take that last snarky remark back:

from nytimes.com/sports:

Rivera was reached even as several other teams, including the rival Boston Red Sox, had made offers to Rivera in a long-shot attempt to lure him out of the Bronx. The person said the Red Sox offered Rivera a two-year deal and that least one other team offered three years.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Kaas, I'm not sure we have enough guys who have earned the right to be "safe" for next season that I would go that route...I get what you're saying about throwing in a few more young guys, but you've still gotta show a commitment to winning. You IR too many guys, then you're messing with depth that we already lack. To me, 5 games is still plenty of time to play your way OUT of a job as it is to play your way into one...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

How funny was DT11's assertion that Carolina having "other problems to worry about" was why his value went unappreciated in Charlotte.

They're so bad, it seems, they don't have time to develop players.

He may turn himself into a player (a la Brandon Lloyd) one day, but it's only going to happen after an attitude shift. If he does, it won't mean the Skins and the Panthers were wrong for deciding they couldn't bank on, and wait for, his having that necessary epiphany.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

another hour of halfway decent dialog before the 2 toddlers show up at 8:00a.

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:51 AM

Good morning hess...why so nasty on a wonderful friday morning...sorry I'm running late...once my computer finishes booting I'll be able to open up another browser, log on as my sock puppet monk...and we all will be here! I'm sorry you feel that we lower the quality of your blog. I know that you do indeed provide great insight into the team that we all love.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

You're supposed to call your Doctor

gimmiesummoe: Doc, I've had an erection for 3 days, and I don't have a woman.

What am I to do?

Doctor: You gotta a problem, fella.

And it sounds to me like you need to take matters into your own hand.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd call everybody I know.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 3, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 8:39 AM

Part of the plan should be to make some of those guys feel LESS "safe". If they know the Skins are bringing in and playing young guys who might replace them, they might start thinking "Oh crap, I better come back ready to work my butt off next year, or I might not get my job back". That shouldn't be the case with Landry, but Rabach, Hicks....

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 3, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Since Philly won last night, the Redskins
should just focus on going 5-1 in its
Division, just to save something out of this disappointing season. A moral victory of sorts. Hail.

Seeing Philly play Atlanta in the NFC
championship would be interesting. Vick
would be awesome and very up for that match
up I'm thinking.

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 3, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Kaas, if these guys need that kind of motivation, they shouldn't be on the team anyway...and they probably won't be going into April...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

If the idea is that this season is primarily about the Shanahans and Haslett installing schemes and evaluating who can and cannot play in them, then I'd agree with the idea that we'll see a lot of familiar faces released come February.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:04 AM

Every time he touches the ball I worry about his safety.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:04 AM

Every time he touches the ball I worry about his safety.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

He just pops back up like a cat.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:04 AM

Every time he touches the ball I worry about his safety.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:06 AM

Not sure why...regardless of his height, he's a grown man. It's not like we're throwing an infant out there...if DeSean Jackson and Dante Hall can put together decent careers, I'm pretty sure Banks can too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 8:55 AM

At this point the Coaches should have a prety good idea which positions they would like to upgrade for next year. All the more reason to start looking for potential replacements sooner rather than later. I'm not saying that anyone who is available now is likely to be a sure thing. If they were, it's likely they would already be on some team's active roster, but it can't hurt to look. They might just find a surprise. It's that Early Bird thing, and it might just be time to start digging for worms.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 3, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I believe you meant to say "irregardless".

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 9:12 AM

Half joking brown...he's a tough kid...height doesn't concern me...but he weighs a buck fifty...wet...one really good lick...that's all I'm saying.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I believe you meant to say "irregardless".

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:15 AM

Are you trying to summon Personal_Fowl to the room iH8? haha

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

iH8dallas

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

I like Banks, too.

But let me be honest: he's limited as an NFL 'hybrid' player.

Banks doesn't have the size AND speed in the way, say, Percy Harvin or Darren Sproles or Devin Hester or Josh Cribbs or Brad Smith does.

He's essentially limited to returning kicks in a modern NFL where what you want is a speed guy who can play multiple positions: wr/running back/returner/slot receiver/wildcat.

If Banks was 5' 10' and weighed 195-210 pounds, you could use him way more more effectively than you can now.

Now, the moment he comes on the field, the defense knows he'll get the ball.

The redskins use him as a novelty type player: and there's no mystery in that for any NFL defense.

He can't pass protect (imagine him taking on a rush end) or throw.

We must keep looking for another 'hybrid' speed offensive player beyond Banks, IMO.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 3, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Aren't you gonna accuse us all of being the same person, you know, cause that's YOUR Schtick!

Sorry we missed you yesterday, but I knew you'd still be there monitoring the blog as usual. You're the best little dictator ever....well, I guess second to Little Danny!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

This whole irregardless thing is getting irretarded.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Good analysis on BB Moe...now back to your salad tossing jokes!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 8:28 AM |

well, it's said that the eyes go first, but for some reason I can't remember if that's true

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM

Monk...do you wanna be Chia or Scamp...doesn't matter to me...but I can't handle 5 handles.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

iH8dallas

Banks is safe! He is my favorite player on this team.

I like Banks, too.

But let me be honest: he's limited as an NFL 'hybrid' player.

Now, the moment he comes on the field, the defense knows he'll get the ball.

He can't pass protect (imagine him taking on a rush end) or throw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

As far as taking on a defensive end, the plan is simple:

Get him all jacked up on Mountain Dew and jump on him like a spider monkey.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

another hour of halfway decent dialog before the 2 toddlers show up at 8:00a.

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 6:51 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 8:41 AM |
-----

what makes you think I'm talking about you ?

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Moe, good stuff...although, I'm not sure why you added Sproles to that list considering he's the same size as Banks. Personally, I'd liken Banks more to our own version of Danny Woodhead...hopefully, Shanahan starts to use him as such.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I like Banks because he is the same size as me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

what makes you think I'm talking about you ?

Posted by: hessone | December 3, 2010 9:27 AM

Funny.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I'll take Chia and Scamp to go with Hess....oops, I just let the cat out of the bag. Too many DIVE ASS User ID's to irremember!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I guess it's time I ask, because I see the word used up here so frequently.

What in the world is a dive a s s ?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I guess it's time I ask, because I see the word used up here so frequently.

What in the world is a dive a s s ?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:35 AM

Ask hessie...he invented the phrase.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Disabling the "!" key on Monk's or PlayAction's keyboard would be akin to making Hellen Keller wear oven mits.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I see some odd insults up here, including but not limited to:

D0uche nozzle, dive a s s, turd burglar, hershey highway patrolman, pole smoker, sh!t lips,etc.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: Cavs = gutless pukes

Yeah, it's part of LeCrabDribble's legacy. He transformed that team in his own image...then left.

Re: Albert Haynesworth

Did you know that AH is second on the team in sacks with 2.5? Who said he's not earning his paycheck.

Re: FA Watch

Here's 2 FAs, I'd like to take a gooood look at in the offseason

1) Derrick Ward - He signed a 1-year deal in Houston. In very limited activity, he's been super-productive in the zone-locking one-cut scheme they run (same as what we're trying to do here). He knows the NFC East, would love to see NYG twice a year I'm sure, and won't want to be backup to Arian Foster again - which he most certainly would if he stays in Houston. At age 30, he's no spring chicken, but he doesn't have alot of wear-tear as he's been a #2 RB most of his career. He's a solid mature lockerroom guy, and could be the lead back in the usual Shanny platoon along with Torain, KW, and whatever other random RB Shanny scrapes up off the sidewalk.

Shawne Merriman - Did you know he's only 26? That's right. So before you dismiss him as a washed-up has-been, understand that he's got a good number of prime playing years ahead of him. Here's a local DC-area guy, who went to school here, idolizes LaVar Arrington, and has been an MVP-caliber player in the 3-4 defense. And guess what - we could really really use another 3-4 pass-rusher to bookend Orakpo (see today's article). THe key is his health. But it could also help us leverage an incentive-laden contract since alot of teams will probably avoid him for that reason. Let Rocky Mac walk, move Zo inside, and let's roll out a 3-4 LB corps of Rak/Fletch/Zo/Merriman.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 9:40 AM

Nice...since you're throwing my name out there...why don't you take the time to check through my posts...just this week will do...and let me know how many times I used "!" (and that one doesn't count) Now if you took away the "..." key...PlayAction would be screwed.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 9:40 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I don't use '!' that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the CAPS LOCK, I'D BE LOST WITHOUT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM

There's no way I'm sorting through anybody's posts for a whole week. (I might as well actually be working.) But, I count two already this morning.

It was just an observation, not a slam. A little excitement, no matter how contrived, never hurt the fan blog of a NFL team that's starting to circle the drain.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

p1, no thanks on 'lights out', he can't get/stay healthy when he's not juicing...when off it he's below average, not had any impact since the 2007 season...bring him in to training camp for a look see sure, but I wouldn't hold out any hope...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

moe, you said,
"He's [b.banks] essentially limited to returning kicks in a modern NFL where what you want is a speed guy who can play multiple positions: wr/running back/returner/slot receiver/wildcat."

naah... sure he looks like a kid out there, but one doesn't have to be big to get open. he can be a receiver. agreed he's not gonna be good for every kind of route. he's not suited for those end-zone over-the-top fade routes or the "jump-ball" type passes, but "find the seam in the zone" or "go deep", then "fake deep and stop" - he can do that. the question here is whether it's worth the injury risk given how good he is a returns. frankly, i say "yes". get him the ball in space several time a game.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM

"idolizes LaVar Arrington" is a good thing?

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

But, I count two already this morning.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 10:04 AM

I only counted one but that's cool...hardly ever use it...that's monks schtick haha

It's Friday...anyone going to throw out predictions for the game?

Already have pabrian down for 59-28 Giants.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 9:47 AM

"idolizes LaVar Arrington" is a good thing?

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If you are trying to get him into town, then yes.

Don't tell me you are one of those LaVar-poopers...and I mean LaVar as a player, not as a post-playing-radio-talking-head-sour-grape-squeezer.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Since we're the same person, we'll take:
Redskins 24
G-boys 20

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, disagree on Ward...he's 30 and if everyone up here is so staunchly opposed to the likes of Brian Westbrook and CP because of age, then that same concern applies to Ward--who by the way will be looking for his 4th team in about 3 years.

As for "Lights Out", the light may be out on his career. If we get him for a vet minimum contract, I'd love that...so long as we don't rely on him to be an every down starter, it's a no risk/high reward kinda scenario. Plus he grew up in the shadow of FedEx Field and we know how RI loves local products. I think his relationship with LaVar might prevent him from coming here, but if he has no other takers we could do a lot worse.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Not entirely true.

The health question is a valid one.

But if he's healthy, he can play sans juice. He came back from a 4 game suspension and was killing the league in 2006 - recorded 17 sacks in 12 games - stands to reason he was no longer juicing at that point, given the circumstances. Then he had a nice 2007 season as you mentioned (again - post-juicing).

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 10:14 AM |

Nah, I'm some where in between on LaVar. He was really good. (Should've been great) His contract squabble and attitude about the Gibbs/Grwilliams regime was really off putting.

I'm one of those who think firing Marty after the 8-3 finish was Snyder's biggest mistake. If Marty had stayed, and LaVar had stayed healthy, I think he would've been a HoF-er.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 3, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Since we're the same person, we'll take:
Redskins 24
G-boys 20

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM

Cosign

Oh and DIVE ASS BEEPS

Posted by: PlayAction | December 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of 'hybrid' or speed players, here's a kid--a NCAA ranked sprinter--who might be worth keeping an eye on:

UF, Jeffery Demps 5-8 190 lbs.

Compare to:

Brandon Banks 5-7 160 lbs.

Darren Sproles 5-6 190 lbs.

Percy Harvin 5-11 184 lbs.

Devin Hester 5-11 190 lbs.

Again: I like Banks like the next man.

But I'd still be on the lookout for another 'hybrid' speed type guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I disagree with regard to Banks' longevity.

As a kick/punt specialist, he can last in the NFL for years if healthy. Field position is so key and anyone who can consistently get you an extra 5 yards on punt returns or start your drives from the 30 instead of the 25 on kick returns will stay on the roster.

Look how long Desmond Howard was able to extend his nfl life just by being a special teams specialist and, unlike James Thrash, he didn't play on the punt/kick coverage teams.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Here's an offbeat poll question for a semi-slow morning. Who is this season's biggest disappointment so far? Some might say #5. I would disagree. He doesn't look that much different than he did last year, so I'm not disappointed. Brown? Rabach? Maake?

Personally I might vote for Moore. After coaches and teammates raved about his play in camp, I've yet to see him show much to prove he is an NFL starter.

Posted by: NYPDee | December 3, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ward sucks and has a history of injuries, we'd be better off getting Bush from the Raiders. And we had a chance to pick up Merriman when the 'Bolts let him go but Buffalo was the only team that picked him up.

We need to go after REAL FA's like:
Jackson WR
Holmes WR
Bush RB
Harrison RB
Mankins G
Dahl G
Ellis DE
Ngata NT
Houston CB
Bailey CB
Woodley LB

Posted by: monk811 | December 3, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ward - He has logged about 600 career touches (by comparison, CP has logged about 2500 career touches), which makes him a "young" 30 in football years. In the Houston zone-blocking scheme, he's averaging 6 yards a carry and has 3TDs on 38 carries. I think Ward could be a very sneaky pickup. We don't need to break the bank for him, but he can definitely be a lead back in a platoon-style running game that Shanny likes.

For Merriman, the catch (for me) is an incentive-laden contract - which isn't too much to demand given his injury history.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

75+ total tackles in 2 of the first 3 seasons: $250,000
65+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000
75+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $1,500,000
95+ total tackles in 3 of the first 4 seasons: $500,000

According to this scale, if he has 95 tackles, he gets LESS money?

Posted by: linroy62 | December 3, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Linroy - each of those benchmarks adds up. If he gets 95 tackles he has already added the 65+ and the 75+ for a total of 3.75 million in escalators (which is moot at this point anyway).

Posted by: MrDumberton | December 3, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

monk811:

Houston CB
Woodley LB

both would be good pickups but Bailey??? that was a joke right?

having said that, why would we be chasing Houston when we have Barnes on the roster? you don't think Barnes will be ready to step up when Rogers leaves? Besides, I doubt Martin Mayhew is going to let Houston walk even though he only gave up a 6th rounder for him. He's no Cerrato.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks MrDumberton! I realized that after I sent the post.

Posted by: linroy62 | December 3, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse