Posted at 2:58 PM ET, 11/17/2010

Shanahan not sure Landry did anything wrong

By Barry Svrluga

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday he is not yet certain whether safety LaRon Landry did anything wrong in Monday night's loss to Philadelphia - either before the game during a scuffle with the Eagles or during it, when a Philadelphia player accused Landry of spitting on him.

"We've been so busy I have not had a chance to address that yet," Shanahan said.

Shanahan said he was on the field when the pregame melee occurred.

"I saw a little bit - two guys, and then it kind of escalated a little bit more," Shanahan said. "I think cooler heads prevailed, but I think a couple guys got a little bit into the emotion of the game, and sometimes guys lose their cool, but nothing happened after that."

Shanahan said he would address Landry and cornerback DeAngelo Hall if, in fact, they taunted Philadelphia receiver DeSean Jackson, as some reports out of Philadelphia have indicated.

"A big question is 'if,'" Shanahan said. "... I had really no idea that was going on. We've been doing other things. ...It's something I would address with those guys if there's is any validity to it."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 17, 2010; 2:58 PM ET
Categories:  DeAngelo Hall, LaRon Landry, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks knew he would play despite surgery
Next: Status of Clinton Portis and Ryan Torain still unclear

Comments

By Barry Svrluga | November 17, 2010; 2:58 PM ET

Who cares? Spend your time worrying about the Titans. We're done with the Eagles, and they're done with us for this year.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 17, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Stack the box against CJ, play tight man coverage and make Collins/Young beat you throwing it. Sounds funny saying that after last week, but it is a new week and if Johnson runs all over the place we got no shot. On offense we need to mix it up more. Spread em out, give Tennessee some different looks.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, move on from the Eagles. They stomped us but we have scoreboard. It reads 3-0. My only regret is that LL didn't follow DJax into the endzone and rip his helmet off with his head attached after Dhall let him get a free release when he was suppose to press him and then DJax moonwalked in from the 15.

F Eagles and let's get ready for the Titans because their DL and CJ are better than what we just faced.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

ok, tell me what's wrong with this franchise, because all I've heard is excuses from some folks. I'm listening dude, and I'll take your opinion and either agree or disagree, but I won't slam you for it.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 2:45 PM | Report
----

..they don't have enough players, which is a combination of a poor past strategy of surrendering draft picks for FA's, and the FA's themselves by the majority not panning out.

The Redskins have reorganized themselves and their strategic approach. Though you feel McNabb is the same old, I feel the picks given up for a QB of with that resume is legit. There is also some sound reasoning behind it: they couldn't afford to blow this year's first on a QB when they HAD to have a LT. Luckily, a unique situation developed where a QB of McNabb's stature was available, without surrendering a 1st in any year. An argument can (and has) been made that sticking with Campbell would make sense, but I'd argue that swapping Campbell out for a 4th, while losing a 3rd and 2nd for McNabb, is not a bad deal.

That was the only FA move of monetary or draft value significance made. Otherwise, the pickups have been on the cheap, in hopes of finding stop-gaps at spots that are major holes. In the past, I'd argue that we'd blow big money at some of those positions on FA's.

They lack the talent of a perinnial contender, and that can't be fixed their first offseason. Behind closed doors, I'm sure they are aware of that. In public, they will be as optimistic as possible, as they have been regarding their chances - what team isn't?

In short (too late!) I don't think this approach has been near the same, I don't sense Snyder meddling based on the decisions, and I'm willing to give them a few years to turnover this team where neccessary. As of right now, they are one year improved from 4-12...which means 8-8 would be a big move.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Pelosi (D-Calif.) defeated her only challenger, conservative Democrat Heath Shuler (N.C.), by a secret vote of 150 to 43.

So Heath Shuler gets whipped. I seem to recall something like that also happening many years ago ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 17, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Coach Shanahan need to address his coaching staff. they took a top five defense and it not the WORST in the NFL. they try to MAKE PLAYER fit a system that just don't fit the players, and in this last game is the worst that I ever felt about this team. I know football is not poker but you play the hand you have and the defense that they have was a TOP FIVE RATED 4 3 PERSONAL DEFENSE, and as much as I like McNabb, he is not and foundation offensives lineman. I,m just sad now and just sick of my life long team not. I may get over this but it is just sicking of seeing this junk.

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | November 17, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, nothing wrong except IMMEDIATE bulletin board material.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lostdogrwd1011 | November 17, 2010 3:29 PM |

Thanks for sharing this, but shouldn't you spend your time working on your GED?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

This ought to be interesting.

Picture this:

Shanny puts a lie detector on Landry.

Detector consistently indicates that all we're hearing are lies, lies and more lies.

Then somebody notices that the electrodes are hooked up backwards...

Causing some sort of reverse polarity.

Landry still assures anyone who will listen that he has been telling the truth all along.

Meanwhile, Shanny is blinking faster and acting all aggrieved that anyone should ever question his truthfulness and integrity.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 17, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows that Shanahan would never abide a spitter on his team. When Bill Romanowski spit in J.J. Stokes' face...Shanny got rid of him a mere 5 years later.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 17, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing this, but shouldn't you spend your time working on your GED?

Posted by: beep-beep | November 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

That was really funny..Havent laughed since Monday night!!!

Posted by: ocskins | November 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 17, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

that would be a great way to finish the year, a real positive.

Posted by: hessone | November 17, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

What a moron - the first-touch, 88 yard TD play was inspired by the pre-game trash talk. No way that was called before the pre-game locker room meet! (...or just a Vick revenge audible to cover his guys)

Sorry - it's fooking stupid to motivate your opponents with BS trash talk.

Posted by: fr3dmars | November 17, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse