Johnson ready to take his turn in backfield

Larry Johnson will be the next running back featured in the Redskins' rotation.

By design, the two-time Pro Bowl selection sat out the preseason opener. In an effort to fairly evaluate Clinton Portis, Johnson and Willie Parker, Shanahan wants each of the former 1,000-yard rushers to be featured at the start of games with the first-team offensive line. Portis started and had 22 yards in the 42-17 rout of the Buffalo Bills. Johnson and Parker did not play.

"It's not right for all of us to get in there, sharing two, three ... you're not going to get a real perspective of what each guy can do if they just give him two or three series," Johnson said the other day. "You want to make sure everybody has a fair shot to get in there with the ones and to have a little bit of rhythm and get in there and just kind of have fun playing a little bit. I like the way he's doing it this way 'cause it gives everybody a shot."

Johnson is pleased with his performance in training camp. "I think I've had a pretty good camp. I don't know. The coaches may think otherwise," Johnson said. "I've had a fun camp."

By Jason Reid  |  August 17, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Larry Johnson , Running backs , Willie Parker  | Tags: Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson, Mike Shanahan, Willie Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Speedy Banks hoping to run his way onto the roster
Next: Albert Haynesworth ends practice early

Comments

FIRST to point out the double entendre in the quote "Johnson ready to take his turn in backfield"...giggety

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

More news ive already read on another site....Good reporting RI.

Posted by: skins2dadeath | August 17, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think the RB's will be:

CP
LJ
R Torain

Sellers
Young

Posted by: Devo2 | August 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

More news ive already read on another site....Good reporting RI.

Posted by: skins2dadeath | August 17, 2010 11:42 AM

Where do you think they're getting this stuff from? Don't you know this is "Redskins Cut and Paste"?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I like this plan, give em all a fair shake against starters rather than backups. Vets don't need the pre season as much anyway.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Agreed...but we gotta stop with this "draft a young QB to groom" stuff. We gave up two picks for McNabb. Draft picks for the next 2-3 years MUST be dedicated to helping McNabb get a SB, not to back him up and hold a clip board. The Eagles made this mistake...let's not repeat it.

Like it or not, we tied our fortunes to #5. So now we ride or die with him for the next 3-5 years...worry about his replacement when he's ready to be replaced.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree and disagree at the same time. Its a way different scenario here than in Philly....there, they forced themselves into a corner by drafting and paying Kolb too early and had to make a decision. Fortunately for us they did. But here McNabb is obviously the man, but also obviously not the "long-term" guy also, he and everyone else knows that. So if/when they get a young guy in it won't be the same scenario because everyone knows McNabb is a 3 to 5 year plan. IMO if we get a shot at Locker or Ponder in the draft they'll take either, and if not, they'll wait another year before addressing QB and repair other holes. We still need a major infusion of youth/talent in several units. But IMO they did a great job this offseason both making us immediately competitive and starting to find long term fixes. McNabb is part of that and I think in the next two years they'll get a legit young QB to get in here and back him up. He's not exactly an iron man anyway and sexy rexy won't cut it long term.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

We still need a major infusion of youth/talent in several units...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 11:44 AM

Exactly why I'm saying don't draft a QB a minute before McNabb's retirement presser.

What if McNabb pulls a Favre (minus the "will he, won't he" bullsh*t) and plays til he's 40? If we draft a QB in 2011, then you either have an expensive backup QB for the next 5 years or you have to dump McNabb to get your money's worth out of the young guy. It screwed with the Eagles, it screwed with the Packers, and I'm sure there's at least a half dozen other examples that aren't coming to mind right now.

If we didn't have multiple holes in our draft board in '10 and '11 I'd buy what you're selling. I just don't think with few picks and a legit playmaker already in hand it's wise to spend a high pick on a guy that may or may not be the answer. How furious would we all be if we dump McNabb for the next Heath Shuler?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm not gonna dump on Rex right now. New team, new circumstance & lowered expectations. I don't have a problem with him game-managing through a season, necessarily. It's better than SJKing it up like Soup.

I think you can count on McNubbin to miss a few here, though. So I'm not sure I like the 2QB mentality. I think we're going to need 3. Not sure Beck is it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

What is up with Dennis Morris? What happened to the beast in that Youtube video? Anybody?

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | August 17, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I wonder whether Portis' disparaging remarks about the O-line last year will come back to bite him in this fair competition format. Granted some of the o-lineman are new, but the guys who were on the line last year might block a little harder for a RB who hasn't thrown them under the bus.

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 11:54 AM

You actually wouldn't be the first to say that...Dick Vermeil said it months ago. But I like your fervor...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM

Wow. Guys competing for a job are going to block harder for one guy over another.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 17, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM

Are you serious? Are they taking a vote in the locker room? It's Shanahan's decision and his alone...and keep in mind, those O-lineman are fighting for jobs too. They can't get cute and block for who they like. It's do or die out there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

No, Learned. The O-line is pretty much set.

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This should not be understated. For those that dont like Rex get used to him. You will see him, I garaontee...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 17, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll dump #5, I think he'll play here as long as he wants to.....however, perhaps I'm pessimistic but Favre never had major injuries, Mc5 has had several along the way. I just don't think he or anybody else expects he'll be playing for 7 more years and I also happen to think even when you have a guy like #5 a great leader and QB with a roster built to win it makes prudent sense to have a young durable and talented QB to back him up just in case and its worth paying a little more for that. Rexy is fine for this year and maybe you don't draft a first rounder to fill that role but at the same time looking at the realistic names that may hit the market as FAs http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011, I think drafting a guy early next year isn't a bad idea. Finding younger FA guys to be role/depth guys at linebacker, dline, wr, and oline is a lot easier than finding a talented reliable QB.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

A vote? No, Browny, they won't vote. It's Shanny's decision.

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TBDog | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2010 11:54 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:02 PM |

Was he sobbing when he proclaimed that?

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 17, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree zj...seems to me McNabb and Shanahan would be more interested in taking a reliable #1 receiver in Round 1 than a guy who's holding a clipboard for 3-5 years. Devin Thomas is the only WR of note under contract for next year. Just let that sit for a minute and let me know if a backup QB is still the way to go...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

NPI,

And masturbating... it was disturbing!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:13 PM

Idk...it worked in the Longest Yard...

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have a problem, conceptually, w/ LJ starting and CPo comin' off the bench.

Actually, either way - I'd hate to be an opposing LB and having to see either one come in as the sub.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

brownwood
I am a minority opinion, but the Skins have had 0 luck with developing WR's since the end of the dynasty. My vote is to just grab all the top WR's in free agency.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

don't know that we're disagreeing so much as just differing on how do you go about fixing a known issue. I think we both agree McNabb is the man here as long as he wants to be and I also think we both can agree that he's been known to miss a game or two here and there. Who knows, Rex isn't old, still has a good arm, maybe he's good enough for 3 years. I completely agree, WR will be a huge area they address next year if Rex proves he's a reliable backup then you may very well be right and they could and if he does should wait for at least 3 years to get a young guy.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Let me be the first one to say that LJ will have a beast of a game and will have everyone thinking he should be the starter."

I dunno.

Cody and Ngata will prove to be one of the best d-tackle tandems in the league this year.

Maybe you wear them down over the course of a game, not 7-15 carries against them by a big back in the 1st quarter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

brownwood

Posted by: alex35332 | August 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

That also is factoring in to my thoughts! We suck at picking and developing WRs. If Devin Thomas would just get his head out of his a#$ and emerge it would fix a whole lot for us. Who knows though, Shanny has a history of finding and developing WRs, he'll have his shot with this group and his second draft next year. I thought Armstrong and Austin were impressive the other night, maybe they're sleepers...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 17, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I dunno.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2010 12:30 PM

If the three picked straws...LJ got the short one.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If the three picked straws...LJ got the short one.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 17, 2010 12:42 PM

Which makes him look all the better if he beasts all over them.

Also 3 out of our 5 o-line starters were not here when CP26 made those remarks about o-line. The other 2 (Rabach + Dockery) are too much of professionals to do that. Besides, he obviously wasn't talking about them as they were the anchors of that line, the only consistency.

Posted by: Keiser | August 17, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse