Larry Johnson looking forward to Redskins-Cowboys rivalry

On Sunday night, veteran running back Larry Johnson will experience the Washington-Dallas rivalry for the first time as a player.

But to hear Johnson tell it, he already knows what Redskins-Cowboys is all about.

"That's what it always was -- the Cowboys and Redskins in my household," said Johnson, who was born in Pomfret, Md. "My mom was a big Emmitt Smith fan, so the only time we watched the TV was when the Cowboys played the Redskins.

"I've known that rivalry since I was young. And to be able to go through a rivalry with Kansas City against Oakland, I kind of know the sense of the blood feud that you have with one another. ... I know how that rivalry is, especially all the great players that produced in that rivalry."

Johnson will be the primary backup for top back Clinton Portis in the Redskins-Cowboys big-stage opener at FedEx Field. If the Redskins have a lead late in the game, they could lean on the big back down the stretch to help seal a victory.

Johnson often produced impressive results when the Chiefs followed that formula with him during the 2005-06 seasons. Johnson was selected as an all-pro in each of those seasons. Johnson is eager to finally begin his first regular season with the Redskins, and what better way to get things started than against the Cowboys?

"Emmitt Smith doesn't play no more, so my mom's good," Johnson said. "I'm looking forward to being part of it and kind of add a little piece to that rivalry, being with [Washington] and being able to compete and play this team twice every year."

By Jason Reid  |  September 11, 2010; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  Larry Johnson , Running backs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Casey Rabach vs. Jay Ratliff promises to be key matchup
Next: Pre-game reading list

Comments

Coach said the Cowboys are afraid of me, but the team doctor is worried I could get injured.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

nice repeated quotes from last week.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | September 11, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hail!!!! ........Cannot Wait!!

Posted by: jiza32 | September 11, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Malcom said that IR is fun. He has a good point.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

more fluff, suprise the "Albert will play sunday night, but only on passing personal only" hasn't come out yet. He could play 5 snaps or 35 snaps.

Posted by: popefrady | September 11, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Coach took my iPhone, but DeAngelo let me borrow his.

Posted by: DeAngelo_Hall | September 11, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think we're gonna see some 4-3 sets on sunday. Stopping the run is going to a priority early and it is easier to stop the run and keep pressure on the qb, at least with our personnel, in a 4-3.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha! I posted as DeAngelo Hall! That was funny.

- Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: DeAngelo_Hall | September 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Man, I know I'm gonna be tired on Monday. The sacrifices we make.

Posted by: bostskin | September 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Big time football starts in about 45 mins. Go 'Canes.

Hey Fat Al, you get yourself another ham sandwich today? Or you mix it up and go with like a BLT or cheesesteak?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Adam_Schefter: "ESPN's Ed Werder reports Albert Haynesworth has been informed that he will play primarily on passing downs, rushing from an inside position." about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Snap! Got my iPhone back. My agent said he will file a complaint.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I am impressed that the coaching staff finally is realizing that the Skins are nothing without Haynesworth. He shouldn't OTA if he doesn't need to. He is the greatest player of all time on a team of washed up 2nd tier vets. GO HAYNESWORTH, and don't get distracted by these dumb Redskin fans.

Posted by: AaronDavistheLizardKing | September 11, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 11, 2010 2:56 PM

Not sure how Werder would get that nugget of info if he primarily spends his time dodging crap nuggets in Favre and Dall-ass Cowpie rectum, but I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 11, 2010 2:56 PM |

Makes sense if true, particularly given the state of the cowgrilz line.

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Coach promised me an extra BLT AND a cheeseteak! My agent told him I play for pride and the Redskins.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Emmitt Smith doesn't play no more, so my mom's good," Johnson said.

We'll believe that when we see your mom in burgundy and gold! Same with McNabb's mom. We'll be watching.

Posted by: abxinc | September 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

My agent is talking to Jason Reid. I feel lonely.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Clinton and Carlos tried to tell me something important, but I can't understand them.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My agent is talking to Jason Reid. I feel lonely.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:27 PM |

The repetitive posts and lame sense of humor don't bother me. Watching someone completely waste their life is a little depressing.

Posted by: mack1 | September 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My agent said all my fans will love me tomorrow. That is great! I must focus on being the most dominant player ever.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Coach took my iPhone, but DeAngelo let me borrow his.

Posted by: DeAngelo_Hall | September 11, 2010 2:06 PM

I wish coach would take your internet connection...

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 11, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | September 11, 2010 3:34 PM

My therapist said this nihilistic perspective is typical for anyone who reads or comments on Redskins Insider regularly.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 11, 2010 2:56 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2010 3:14
---------------------------------------
Adam Schefter and Ed Werder and all those pricks at ESPN no nothing at all...If this pass off-season hasn't made that clear I don't know what will...Those guys at ESPN are a close second to JReid and the pricks from the WaPo with wrong info...Shanny reveal nothing so he has nothing...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 11, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Why is Grossman not even getting a second thought? McNabb's injury aside, his heart is not with us..."

This is where I am.

We want McNabb, but--in light of his injury history-- might wind up with Sexy Rexy the Turnover Machine runnin' thangs for some time.

Will we be disappointed?

But will Rex steppin' in should D Mac's ankle injury get worse kill the season?

No--one game out of 16 is just that.

Bring on the Cowboys.

And set Donnie McNabb free.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2010 3:14

Guess where Werder got it: AH92's agent.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Mia v Ohio Stae, Michigan v Notre Dame, Fla State v Okla. Wife and kids at the mall...priceless."

I got the Canes on as, as usual, they have some solid NFL type defenders at safety and linebacker.

I like the Miami tackle Orlando Franklin.

As for Ohio State, I'm checking out T Pryor as you know like I do, he will soon be headed to the draft.

He looks like V Young without the swagger so far.

Denard Robinson is the only player to watch in Mich. v. ND.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Too much football...

And not enough time...

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe I've been watching primarily Fla State v Okla. I've been paying particular attention to Christian Ponder and Hudson (LG). Liking both.

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"My mom was a big Emmitt Smith fan, so the only time we watched the TV was when the Cowboys played the Redskins."

You should've told your momma, "No way will I watch Mr. Gray."

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Tennessee plays Oregon tonight! Hooray!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yay Redskins

How can Albert Haynesworth post non stop, night and day for the past week and prepare for Dallas at the same time?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Chokies... get beat on your own field by the D team.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 11, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Please don't tell coach I post here.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Chokies... get beat on your own field by the D team.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 11, 2010 4:16 PM

Bad loss. Hurts Boise as well. JMU is a solid "D team" program.

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oops! Coach caught me again. I'm an idiot, and I truly am sorry if my comments bothered or offended any of our great and wonderful fans, and again, I'm truly sorry about that.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Please don't tell coach I post here.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 4:19 PM

haha.

I won't

But a few people here have wondered the same thing as I, yet you still haven't responded to the idea that only you and beep-beep have all the time in the world for this blog.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

YOU TOLD HIM! I am so sad again.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"Watching someone completely waste their life is a little depressing."

That's why I don't watch reality TV or those morons trying to get rich with queer youtube videos.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

JMU DUKES!!! Suck it Hokies!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Well time to switch games. Landry of Okla is playing pitch and catch now.

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout them Hokies! Gobble gobble!

Goodness, that was a beautiful thing to witness.

Time to put the entire town of Blacksburg on suicide watch.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 11, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what they say, Terrelle Pryor is just not a good passing quarterback.

The guy really should be playing linebacker or tight end.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

That my iPhone, someone been walkin around here in shirts, shorts, flip flops, underwear. I told Albert you got a free gift, happy birthday. She definitely had to take them heels off for me. We're going to mash them boys.

Posted by: DeAngelo_Hall | September 11, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Randy Shannon should onside kick here with the Half coming up so soon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Denard!

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 3:45 PM

So said the pot, before calling the kettle black! GTFOH...

HTTR!!!

Posted by: Southernbelle_aurora | September 11, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Coach said he would hire MistaMoe if he could just keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackon's primary suitor looks to be the Vikings
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2010 4:39 PM ET
In five days, a hearing will be held in New York to determine whether Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson will miss six games or three games if is traded during his three-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy. The NFL believes he should; the NFLPA believes he shouldn't.

Either way, word is spreading that the Vikings are the team that hopes to swing a deal for Jackson, if the ultimate absence is only three games.

Last Saturday, an unnamed franchise worked out a one-year deal with Jackson's agents, who then could not work out a trade with the Chargers. That team has not been identified. On Friday, our pal Henry Lake of KFAN in Minneapolis said via Twitter that the Vikings are making a play for Jackson. Though all concerned persons and entities are keeping quiet on this one, we've done some digging and we believe that Lake is right -- and that the Vikings are the team that nearly traded for Jackson last week.

Based on the Vikings' performance on offense against the Saints on Thursday night, the Vikings surely could use him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

ACC Beatdown day?

FSU and Miami are down.

Va Tech got beat.

Looks like the Another Chump Conference is the same as it ever was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

ACC Beatdown day?

FSU and Miami are down.

Va Tech got beat.

Looks like the Another Chump Conference is the same as it ever was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Good call Moe.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Coach said he would hire MistaMoe if he could just keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:16 PM

Wow, I get up this morning and this jackass is on here. I go out looking at boats for the day...all the way to Long Beach, boat show, lunch, and back and this winner is still on here trying to irritate people. Dude, you are now the biggest loser I've ever known. Get a life, it's Saturday, at least go outside for an hour.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The Vikes could use Billy Volek more than V JAX.

They get S Rice back in a few weeks.

They can beat teams with A Peterson carrying the offense on his shoulders.

But, long term, having Volek means you have a solid quarterback should B Favre get hurt or retire.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The Vikes could use Billy Volek more than V JAX.

They get S Rice back in a few weeks.

They can beat teams with A Peterson carrying the offense on his shoulders.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The light! It hurts my eyes!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

#10 DeAngelo Hall $20.8 million

#11 Vince Wilfork $$20.6 million

#12 Nnamdi Asomugha $20.5 million

#13 Kurt Warner $20.3 million

#14 Jason Smith $19.4 million

#15 Brett Favre $18.9 million

*Incomes include salary and bonuses paid between June 2009 and June 2010 as well as endorsement and licensing income.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Tom Brady is the new top dog among the jock rich, but I found it interesting to see D Hall on the Forbes list at #10.

Here's to a few timely interceptions for the DB from DC in 2010, beginning tomorrow against the Cowboys.

HTTR!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

ACC Beatdown day?

FSU and Miami are down.

Va Tech got beat.

Ga Tech lost to Kansas.

Looks like the Another Chump Conference is the same as it ever was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

ACC Beatdown day?

FSU and Miami are down.

Va Tech got beat.

Ga Tech lost to Kansas.

Looks like the Another Chump Conference is the same as it ever was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

$20.8m + $27.3m = $48m

A lot of $ for two players (AH and D Hall)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Tech lost to JMU? L.M.F.A.O!

If the BCS wants to keep the Orange Bowl relevant, it needs to kick out the ACC from automatic qualification.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 11, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Tech lost to JMU? L.M.F.A.O!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 11, 2010 6:09 PM

Moe is spot on.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad Va Tech lost again!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 11, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Another Chump Conference is the same as it ever was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry...UVA will redeem the ACC

Posted by: TWISI | September 11, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I know Notre Dame sucks, but they just scored a 95-yard TD pass against Michigan. 24-21, 3:18 left

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 11, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

If JReid was doing his job, this Albert_Haynesworth nonsense would cease at once. RI posters demand action be taken, before this virus spreads.

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Comrades it is of the attention Soviet Narodnykh Kommissarov have hacked.

All future directives originate IP 77.41.128.0.

Glavnoe Upravlenie Ispravitelno-Trudovykh Lagerei assign Albert_Hayensworth rehabilitation.

Poshol v zhopu!

Posted by: RodionRomanovichRaskolnikov | September 11, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

da da dada da

dada da da dada da da da

at least one thing went right

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

The Vikes could use Billy Volek more than V JAX.

They get S Rice back in a few weeks.

They can beat teams with A Peterson carrying the offense on his shoulders.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 5:32 PM

100% agree...I don't get why they're so desperate to get another WR when they're loaded there already. Five more games and Rice should be back. They have one of the top 3 RBs in the game and a solid receiving TE to help carry the day until they can get back up to full strength. Trading for a guy that probably won't be able to help you until around Week 6 at the earliest is crazy, especially since that about the time Rice is back. Either this is complete BS or the Vikings FO is even crazier than I thought...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Probably the 9 pts thing.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least MD is beating the G team.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 11, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Coach said he would hire MistaMoe if he could just keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:16 PM |

Cosign on that one dude.

Posted by: BangerVance | September 11, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Rich Campbell: "Moore, Beck, Jarmon, Riley, another DL (Bryant?), a WR (Banks?), a CB (Barnes?) ... RT @mtshade @Rich_Campbell Likely inactives vs DAL?"
28 minutes ago via twidroid

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackon's primary suitor looks to be the Vikings
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2010 4:39 PM ET

Posted by: brownwood26

That would be an interesting location, but I'm not sure I buy it. VJax wants a big deal. When Favre retires, Minny is going to want to pay a top QB to come in. Other than Favre (and DT Williams), they've got a few more seasons in their current excellent group of players ... and why have that group with no QB? McNabb's name will come up if he hasn't been locked down here in DC.

Minny, in the not too distant future, is also going to need to come up with serious $$ for Sidney Rice and Adrian Peterson in addition to the next QB.

Minny already has a couple of big current commitments to Steve Hutchison and Jared Allen. Not sjure about Bryant McKinnie (good LTs get paid well, too)

I'm not sure how elastic the wallet of the Vikings' ownership is ... seems they are going to be stretched a lot -- even without VJax.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 5:29 PM |

Hey, if you don't like his posts just scroll over them. That's what you do on this blog. This isn't the Third Reich in case you hadn't noticed.

Posted by: BangerVance | September 11, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

The team doctor is creepy.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | September 11, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

My agent said I am a hero and will win the big game tomorrow!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

i'm tired of the DC metro media coddling VA Tech as it was a local team is friggin 5 hours away is the middle of nowhere, let WV claim it we don't want it.

Posted by: usgov | September 11, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, Volek's a good player, and he did pull off that '08 playoff victory, but he turns 35 next April and spends a fair amount of time limping around the sidelines (like he's doing right now, for instance). What Minnesota needs is a younger guy they can develop.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 11, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth

"Coach said he would hire MistaMoe if he could just keep his mouth shut."

I don't know what team you're playing for if you're on here as much as you have been.

And seeing how no one reads my posts, thanks for the mention.

Perhaps now, they'll read them even less.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

How the hell is Volek a good player?

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"What Minnesota needs is a younger guy they can develop."

I hear you, but they had a guy like that in Sage Rosenfels, and they let him go.

I'd say a Super Bowl ready squad needs a mature type who can step in, and 'man the ship' on day one.

After all, Minn is a ready made situation for a vet like a Kerry Collins or Volek, and for my money, I'd add a seasoned vet before waiting to see if the guy you groom will ever reach his peak.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

But you're right, Minnesota's lack of a likely QB successor is hard to figure. I was expecting them to draft Clausen when he fell and they didn't. He's actually a pretty good QB for their system. This was a weak class for QBs and it's hard to imagine there was anyone else interesting out there. And Denver had already made the idiot pick and taken Tebow. But Minnesota grabbed a CB instead, and by the time their next pick rolled around, Clausen was gone.

So the Vikes are left with Tarvaris and somebody named Joe Webb who's a dual-threat type himself. There's not even a QB on the practice squad. Speculation is they traded Rosenfels mostly because of the money.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 11, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"How the hell is Volek a good player?"

I threw out Volek's name as the discussion orginated from Minn. possibly signing VJAX from the Chargers.

Volek led the Chargers junior varsity to victory last year in the season ending game against the redskins.

The guy throws a very good deep ball, and the Vikes have some solid deep ball catchers in Rice and Harvin.

Even with VJAX, Minn will finish the season with a good team wanting only a vet to lead it should B Favre play his usual retirement game.

I'd just go get me a vet and move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

"How the hell is Volek a good player?
Posted by: SMACK1"

Good in the sense of backup QB-type good. He hasn't played much the last couple seasons but he's pretty reliable coming off the bench and throwing the ball. He's the sort who can start and sustain a drive to get you out of a hole late in the game. And doesn't need a lot of time to warm up.

His specialty is driving a team down the field. If you left him out there too long, the cracks would show (he'd get hurt or start making unwise throws) but for a couple games on a strong team like Minnesota (or San Diego) he's all right.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 11, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I too, don't understand why Minny didn't get a QB in the first round.

Okay you may not find another Favre but you find a complainant guy who can sit back there for a while and you extend the window by 3-4 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 11, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"I'm going to have sex with my wife tonight to take my mind off the big game tomorrow."

I'd have sex with my wife if I could afford it.

mrsmoe: Is that all you got?

moe: Yeah, six dollars.

But if you charge by the minute, I'll get 3 back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd have sex with my wife if I could afford it.

mrsmoe: Is that all you got?

moe: Yeah, six dollars.

But if you charge by the minute, I'll get 3 back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Volek is a viable backup to Favre like Balloon Boy is a viable backup to NASA.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to wonder about the poster with the handle Albert_Haynesworth. These posts seem to appear constantly and continuously, from early morning to late at night, for days and days on end.

We're dealing with one of two things.

1.) Albert_Haynesworth is someone who has absolutely no life. All they do is post on RI from the moment they wake up until the moment they go to sleep. In which case, they would be the most pathetic individual I have ever heard of.

OR

2.) Albert_Haynesworth is actually a team of individuals working in shifts. This posibility is beginning to seem more likely to me. Then the question becomes who is this group and why would they organize this type of effort?

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 11, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

sorry 'bout the double postin' thingy

sorry 'bout the double postin' thingy

sorry 'bout the double postin' thingy

sorry 'bout the double postin' thingy

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Tenn/Ore on the deuce looks like the game to be watching.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

"Tenn/Ore on the deuce looks like the game to be watching."

Thanks.

Penn State v. 'Bama looks like practice for 'Bama and effort for the Lions.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Moe, Sage was the young guy we failed to develop.

Posted by: mack1 | September 11, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

These guys are worth the money:

#2 Terrell Suggs $38.3 million

#3 Julius Peppers $36 million

#4 Philip Rivers $32.1 million

#6 Demarcus Ware $26.7 million

#7 Peyton Manning $24.8 million

#9 Matthew Stafford $21.4 million

#11 Vince Wilfork $$20.6 million

#12 Nnamdi Asomugha $20.5 million

#15 Brett Favre $18.9 million

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

for those who missed it yesterday ....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
Turning The Page, the 2010 Season Preview Edition
As always, brought to you again by the finest of the fine at Yahoo!

Part 1

I’ll start with our strength. Well, I think it’ll be our strength. Defense. I don’t get it. Too many people seem to be playing away from their strength. Alexander, Carter and Orakpo have all shown they are best at the line with their hand down, going forward. They’ve also shown limitations going backwards. But they’ll often be standing up and going backwards. Albert at DE is another example. I liked the idea until I saw how much of his explosion takes place in his first move. That power moves people. But as a DE, he can be forced to take multiple steps before contact, which results in his explosiveness being dissipated.

This new system doesn’t take advantage of several skill sets. Haslett wants more turnovers, but which of these LBs (that were DL) can catch an INT or keep up with most RBs or TEs in pass coverage? (note the 5 acronyms in 1 clause).

Our front 4 was the most effective unit on the team, and it has been overhauled. The one difference maker is Albert. We’ll see how ready he is, but the man can elevate this defense a lot, on the interior. Will he? No need to review the soap opera. If Albert plays well, no matter how convoluted the path, all will be good. I’ve said from the outset, none of the offseason stuff matters if Albert is a beast in the regular season. Its not about Albert’s happiness, I’d prefer him angry – and pointed at the other team.

The secondary was a mess last year. LaRon looked lost, while Rogers and Hall both had issues. If measured by draft spot, we have the most talented secondary in football. Would be nice to see that talent play tougher, harder and smarter, a la Reed Doughty, the only overachiever among the 2009 DBs. Moore is a good fit at FS, but I have doubts on his durability.

Haslett’s general approach is to use speed and different formations to create confusion for the offense. From time to time, we’ll also confuse ourselves. The confusion will have success against young QBs, like kolb and Stafford. But it won’t fool the vet QBs we’ll face, and we’ll give up a lot of big plays as a result of our ‘creativity’.

How does it play out? We have raw talent, no less than 7 guys in the heart of their careers (Carriker, Albert, Orakpo, Hall, Landry, Rogers, Carter) went in the top 15 in their draft class. Of course, it doesn’t matter where Fletcher was drafted, he’s great. There is too much talent and experience to have the defense melt down in DEBACLE ’09 ® style. Some early success would go a long way. Of note, 1 year ago, I overestimated the defense, by a lot.

We have enough talent to make bunches of plays on our side, balancing out the big plays we will give up. Talent overcomes confusion, and the defense is top 10-ish in both yards allowed and turnovers.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Moe, Sage was the young guy we failed to develop.

Posted by: mack1 | September 11, 2010 9:10 PM

I think we did our part, mack. We passed him on to Miami who passed him on to Houston who passed him on to Minny who passed him on to New York. If we failed to develop him so have four other teams. He's what's known as a journeyman backup QB. This is more like failing to develop real estate in Harrisonburg, Va., than like failing to develop real estate in Times Square.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 11, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Part 2 -- ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

The offense got a major upgrade, a huge upgrade, an almost too good to be true upgrade, when Shanahan pulled the key trade of the offseason and acquired … Jamaal Brown. Going from Heyer to Brown is an upgrade of epic proportions and will be key to both the pass game and run game. Plus, the trade allowed Hicks to move to guard, upgrading a second spot. The OL that was on the field for most of last season was atrocious. We’re up to adequate. The interior of the line is marginal, modestly improved over last season. But I’m not sold on it, especially with everyone on he interior over 30 (Dockery, Rabach and Hicks). Trent Williams is going to struggle as a rookie, as he’s facing a ‘murderer’s row’ lineup. The guy who helps Williams to block will be a huge determinate in the success of this team. Cue Mike Sellers. Or Darrel Young. More on that later. This group is more athletic and durable than our group from last year. Still, our OL depth is, ummm, forgettable (scary?). If we get hit with injuries on the OL, the season will be forgettable (ugly?).

The WR group is also marginal. They’d be awful if not for Moss. We may wind up longing for Randle El (the WR, not the PR). The TE spot is strong.

I don’t like our RBs. In order for Shanahan’s cutback style of running to work, you need the threat of being able to run wide and turn the corner. I don’t think our RBs can get wide. Without that threat, the cutback lanes will be limited. Further, our pass catchers aren’t much in terms of run blocking. 3 reasons for hope. This style of run game might fit our OL personnel, Shanahan historically gets more from less and maybe Portis found the fountain of youth. But it’ll be tough. I expect better than last year, but I don’t expect a lot.

McNabb has had a better overall career than any Skins QB since … SJ9. McNabb is slightly past his prime and already has noteworthy ding. He is learning a new system for the 1st time in over a decade. There will be bumps in the transition, more than most want to acknowledge. But he can read a defense and knows the NFC East. One ‘not to be underestimated’ item is the lack of a pass catching RB. McNabb thrived on this in philly where a dump-off to an RB was as likely to create a big play as a pass downfield. McNabb lost almost the same number of sack yards/game as Campbell did last season. That is another area of risk, especially given the pass rushers he’ll see.

A quick comment about the backup QB. If he’s playing, we’ll need to win with defense. Against some teams, the offense can play modestly under Rex and win, but not against the majority of our schedule. We’re not going to win much if Rex has to run the show.

On offense, I think we fall a bit below the middle. Maybe 20-25th overall. The upside -- we’ve got a QB who can (and must) take advantage of the goodies the defense gives us … and he can win a close game with a late score.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Part 3 -- ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

On to special teams. Our return guys are different and that is a good thing. We’ve got kickers that seem to be improvements over last year. Truth is, I think special teams will be better, in large part because of the head coach and his attention to them. Which brings me to …

Our biggest strength. The head coach.

People have been writing about Shanahan (MS) and Bruce Allen (BA), or as I like to call them, the 2 degrees. But really, the guy with the BA doesn’t do much that is critical. The guy with the MS runs the whole show. Last year, I wrote that I didn’t trust the HC. 2010 couldn’t be more opposite. While I’ve got concerns about Shanahan’s role as team president, I’ve got nothing but confidence in Shanahan, the coach. He isn’t mistake free, in part due to an oversized ego. On occasion, he’ll outsmart himself. The guy is a stone cold control freak. But those drawbacks pale in comparison to what he does bring. We’ll be better prepared than most teams and he’ll outcoach a lot of guys during the game.

When other teams make mistakes, we’ll see a killer instinct that has been largely absent for almost 2 decades. When we’ve got a team on the ropes, we’ll put them away more often than not. I’m pretty sure Shanahan keeps a set of ‘daggar in the heart’ plays ready for the critical moment. He won’t miss a chance to seize a game.

This killer instinct radiates from the guy running the show and we’ll sense it in the team on the field.

Another advantage, Shanahan knows the other coaches and their teams better than they will know what Shanahan will do with the Redskins. In every facet of the game, most every week, Shanahan gives us a distinct edge.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Part 4 -- ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

I’ve covered the various units, how does it all add up?

Let me start by looking at the competition. All 4 teams from the NFC Beast will face dangerous offensive weapons in our 8 common games vs the AFC South and NFC North. There are a lot of top 5 quality players. The QBs (Rodgers, Peyton, Schaub, Favre), the RBs (Chris Johnson, Peterson, Jones-Drew) and the WRs (Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne). The ‘second tier’ weapons aren’t bad either -- Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, Dallas Clark, Greg Jennings and Owen Daniels -- all Pro Bowl-level talent. No other division plays that ‘loaded’ of a schedule.

Yet ….

Stopping these great offensive weapons isn’t the big story. The real story in the Beast in 2010 is at offensive left tackle. The names are: Trent Williams, david diehl, doug free and jason peters.

Here are the top edge rushers the LTs in the division will face from the NFC N and AFC S: Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews and Dwight Freeney. In the division, its 6 games vs 3 of the following 4: Carter/Orakpo/Albert, ware, osi and cole. I’ve said it for months, this is Murderer’s Row. 11 games vs Pro Bowl level edge rushers coming from the blind side. Not sure I’ve ever seen this sort of pass rush threat since the days when lawrence taylor, reggie white and randy white were all in the Beast at the same time.

The LT will be THE premium spot in 2010 for NFC East teams. So who is the best of the bunch? Probably peters of philly, though he’s been inconsistent. For ny, diehl is a good player. free is an unknown, though he looked good in preseason. Thing is, none of these LTs are so elite that they can handle the group they’ll be facing, week in week out. So the questions are: who will help the LT protect the QB? And if you need to help out the LT a lot, is that going to leave problems elsewhere?

Here’s where I like Shanahan to excel. Our #3 TE, Paulsen impressed with his blocking in the preseason, and he’ll be on the field a lot more than people think. Our FB, Mike Sellers has a fire under him, with the Skins keeping him and Darrel Young. Pass blocking TEs and RBs are going to have a huge say in this division – and Shanahan has kept 3 guys to do that job. Good call.

How about the other teams? I’m happy to say it -- dallas is the most vulnerable to these pass rushers. The help guys aren’t that good and they’ve got leaks already springing on parts of the line. Piñata Sundays, starring tony romo as the piñata (It’s another Piñata Sunday – sing it to the tune of Tequila Sunrise). The jints are the best equipped to handle the onslaught, with a good blocking TE, a good blocking back and a sound OL. Not so sure philly is in good shape, weaver seems OK, but I’m not sold on his protection skills. It seems philly has some OL issues and the young QB won’t help them. The blind side will be a huge factor in how 2010 turns out in the NFC East.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Part 5 -- ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

So lets drill further into the division. I think the NFC East is the most evenly matched division in football and a contender for the best overall division in football. It wouldn’t shock me if every team in the east goes 3-3 within the division. I would be shocked if any team goes 5-1 in the division or 1-5 for that matter. The only major question is kolb in philly, and as long as he doesn’t suck, philly is in the mix.

My starting point for the analysis is 3-3 in the division for every team -- and see how it rolls from there. How do you get to 10 wins and the playoffs? If you’re 3-3 in the division, you need to go 7-3 in the non-division games. We all get Minny, GB and Indy. No one is going 3-0 vs that group, 2-1 would be tough, but let’s assume that for the moment. The rest of the games common to all in the Beast are Houston, Tenn, Jax, Chi and Det. 4 of those 5 are competitive teams. It is unlikely anyone goes 5-0 against that bunch. The realistic upside is 4-1. If that’s how it goes, a team would be 9-5 with the parity games left. Last years division winners, dallas, get the Saints and AZ. 1-1 in those games gets dallas to 10-6. On to philly. They get SF and ATL in their parity games, neither will be easy. 1-1. Meaning philly can get 10 wins. The jints get Carolina and Sea, a good shot at 2-0. We get StL and Tampa – by far the best shot at 2-0.

I see the 7-3 records out of the division for dallas and philly as their upside best, though 6-4 is more realistic. They could easily be 5-5, which means 8-8. philly is the hardest one to place since a lot rides on kolb. I’m skeptical that he’s ready for the onslaught headed his way. For the Skins and jints, 7-3 outside the division could be achievable because of the parity games. But 5-5 or 6-4 is more realistic.

For us, I see the season breaking down roughly like this. 3-3 in the division, 3-2 vs Houston, Tenn, Jax, Det and Chi. 1-2 vs GB, Minn and Indy. 2-0 in the parity games. 9-7.

Each team in the Beast has above average talent, at least one major exploitable flaw and an insanely tough schedule. You have to be a good team to get to 8-8 if you play in the Beast in 2010.

There are a lot of different ways to approach this analysis, but they all tend to come back to a very similar end point. I get all 4 teams in the 8-9 win area, with no one pulling away. It will be a complex season in the Beast.

Now what I’ve said so far assumes the QBs of the NFC Beast are mostly healthy, most of the time. I’m not sure I’d bet on that assumption, as the QB injury risk is unusually high. There’s a reason there are no QB controversies in the Beast – the backups are not close to the starters. Given the tough schedule, there are relatively few games that an NFC Beast team will be OK in – if they have to start their backup QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Part 6 -- ZEKE’S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

So how do I see 2010 playing out for the Skins? It’ll be a jumble all the way in the NFC East, with no team able to run away from the pack. Come week 14, I wouldn’t be surprised if it looks like the division race could end in a 4 way tie, with everyone at 9-7. I doubt any team from the Beast wins more than 10 or less than 7. Which means it’ll be hard to get a wild card berth. I see the NFC wild cards coming from the North and South. Which means win the division or you’re home for the playoffs.

I think the Skins are in the playoff hunt all season long because I see the division being so close. 8 wins. Playoffs? Possible, I give it a 1/4 chance.

A few final points. George Allen spoke about “The future is now”. Shanahan seems to have the same approach. This team, relatively old in 2009, did not get much younger. New Redskins that are expected to start in 2010 include Kemoeatu, Hicks, Galloway, McNabb, Carriker and Trent Williams. Average age, even with the rookie Williams, is 30. The 4 best players on the Skins roster now, are Albert, Fletcher, McNabb and Orakpo. 2 of those guys are well into their 30’s and Albert isn't going to be here long term.

It is a ‘win now’ team. Which is why, unfortunately, Albert is so critical. I can only guess on how the Haynesworth soap opera will play out. There is a lot to loathe about this third rate drama. 3 months from now, if people are talking about Albert Haynesworth as a defensive player of the year candidate (as a Redskin), we’ll have good reason to talk about the playoffs. If people are talking about Albert as a bust, either because of his play or because he was sent packing, we’re probably last in the division.

And that is it for the season preview edition of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always, brought to you by the finest people of Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 11, 2010 9:36 PM

IMHO-with the combination of a coaching staff that actually will utilize the talent on the team and create a solid running game, my glass is half full this season. I think if DMAC ever had a solid running the past decade, he would have won multiple SB's…But who knows. Skins 42 Dallas 10 plz

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 11, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Coach said he would hire MistaMoe if he could just keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 11, 2010 5:16 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 5:29 PM

Hi scampbell1975

It goes deeper. Just yesterday people started to notice Albert has kept going and going, but it actually started September 6th in the evening and this real human being has been blogging all day everyday since and no doubt he finds it amusing that were talking about it.

At what point will he realize that yes he's successfully being annoying but he's also successfully failing life?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The idea behind singing Big Al and D Hall to those big contracts was sound:

Pressure the opposing QB into making poorly advised throws into the sure hands of a ball hawk circling his prey from the secondary.

I agree Zeke, if Albert plays to his potential, all will be well, and to think that this still might happen, gives me goose bumps, his obvious character flaws aside.

The secondary as a whole still seems suspect to me though, as does the offensive line, and remembering that we have a new QB in a new system surrounded by what could be construed as a weak receiving corp, one aged CP, and Larry freakin Johnson.

I dunno.

There is certainly a lot to be worked out, and in all likelihood it won't always be fun to watch.

But I'm looking forward to it none the less.

[The maturation of Orakpo will be one to watch]

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 11, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Chia

do you see any weaknesses on Dallas?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

"If we failed to develop him (Sage Rosenfels) so have four other teams. He's what's known as a journeyman backup QB."

Journeymen or Back up Quarterback is still a nice job title.

Just ask these guys:

JP Losman
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
Dante Culpepper
Chris Redman
Kyle Boller

Someone on that list will be Sean Payton or Mike Martz one day.

Sadly, this is not that day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody see any weaknesses on Dallas?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

BTW: Charlie Batch is the guy most likely to be a head coach on that list.

And John Beck most likely to be a starter for the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 11, 2010 9:26 PM

True, true and true. I was talking more about the "young" part. He's not, right?

Posted by: mack1 | September 11, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Journeymen or Back up Quarterback is still a nice job title.

Just ask these guys:

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:07 PM

I think most of those guys would tell you that the only real title is starting QB and they'd tell you they're just waiting for their next chance. Backup QB is a better way of making a living than UPS, but if you'll show me someone who says "My career goal is to be a backup QB in the NFL" then I'll show you a guy who's going to be working for UPS.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 11, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"Does anybody see any weaknesses on Dallas?"

Shaky o-line plus gunshy quarterback.

Their secondary was ranked 20th in the league last year--they had a lot of passes over 20 yards completed against them.

(And expect Barber to be set free tomorrow nite.)

Finally, there is the weakness of the name of the team itself:

The Dallas Cowboys

In my mind, only wet toilet paper is weaker.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout dem Ducks????

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Finally, there is the weakness of the name of the team itself:

The Dallas Cowboys

In my mind, only wet toilet paper is weaker.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:22 PM

Agreed the most overrated team besides the jets.

Posted by: skinswillwin | September 11, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of toilet paper, I wonder where Poopy the RI troll is hiding ? I garentee he will reply to this post !

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

How bout them JMU Dukes? The best team in VA plays in Harrisonburg! You may want to take them off the schedule Beamer.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 11, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 9:44 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I think it's quite possible that the poster known as Albert_Haynesworth may actually be a team of people working in shifts. That may explain their seemingly superhuman stamina. Why would a group do this? I'm not sure.

If the real Albert Haynesworth had the attention span and devotion to football that the Fake one(s)does to being annoying on this blog, he would truly be the dominant player we can only hope he will be.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 11, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Its unbelievable kaasmaster. I cant understand it. Like he has no self esteem at all

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Nothing out of you know who since 8:20p. Hopefully RI him off.

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The Baltimore Orioles have ascended as the Washington Nationals have gone rudderless without SS.

Wazzup wid dat?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:32 PM

She's been very busy with her Albert_Haynesworth postings

Posted by: RedskinsNow | September 11, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep- back 2 back solid posts. It's late for you it might be your husband. If that's the case...Let her know that I'm gitty over Duke and Georgia Tech's performance today.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 11, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"They could beat teams running, but turn into a wild passing team just as M Barber gets going.

(And expect Barber to be set free tomorrow nite.)"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:22 PM

the first part is so true and no offense but i hope you are wrong about the second part.lol
you always have good posts Moe, why did you have to go and say that?jk

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

A Star Is Born?

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — The only questions remaining about Denard Robinson might simply be this: What can’t he do, and just how far can he lead a resurgent Michigan football team?

He piled up 502 yards of total offense and rallied the Wolverines for a 28-24 road victory at Notre Dame.

Robinson, quite simply, is THE TRUTH!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of toilet paper, I wonder where Poopy the RI troll is hiding ? I guarantee he will reply to this post !

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:32 PM

She's been very busy with her Albert_Haynesworth postings

Posted by: RedskinsNow | September 11, 2010 10:44 PM |

Glad to see I'm not the only one that see's that connection. He'll be talking poop or gay stuff. Dude is biased against women.

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Penn State always loses big games like Virginia Tech...so sad

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Record ratings carry a warning for NFL, union
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2010 10:39 PM ET
Thursday night's season opener produced only 23 points, and not much drama. But that only makes the size of the television audience more amazing.

A mind-boggling 27.5 million viewers tuned in for the Vikings-Saints game, giving the NFL its biggest prime-time audience in 14 years. In New Orleans, the game generated a rating of 60.0, higher than the 56.3 rating in New Orleans for Super Bowl XLIV.

Coming on the heels of a pair of NBC preseason games that set viewership records and that ranked as the top shows of their respective weeks, pro football once again has demonstrated its dominance of the American sports landscape.

At a time when the NFL and the players' union are inching closer to a potential work stoppage in 2011 (although the news of potential decertification of the union could make that far less likely), all parties should be taking a close look at the current popularity of the game -- and they should ask themselves whether and to what extent they wish to risk the same kind of decline that baseball and hockey experienced after a lengthy strike and lockout, respectively.

For now, the goose is firing out golden eggs faster than a machine gun with a hair trigger. Though the NFL can weather a short-term storm better than other sports, the current debate regarding whether the players will take a smaller piece in the hopes of eating from a larger pie overlooks the reality is that the pie will, to a certain extent, shrink if our obsession for football becomes interrupted by the perceived or actual greed of the current stewards of the game.

the first comment is interesting:
# Uncle Leo says: September 11, 2010 10:52 PM

TV Ratings are up.
Stadium crowds are down.

Pay for view, here we come.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

WOW. Oregano might not be a joke this year.

Oh wait...

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 11, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody see any weaknesses on Dallas?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:09 PM

They're missing 3 starters on OL. I'm not going to feel sorry for Romo, that's for sure.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 11, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Albert_Haynesworth = Marty's Email Add

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 11, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody see any weaknesses on Dallas?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 10:09 PM

Their coach, their offense, and some of their defense.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 11, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Georgia Tech's performance today.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 11, 2010 10:46 PM |

Screw you Diesel.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

scamp- collateral damage as I mock the old lady beep-beep.

tough loss nonetheless, the acc should stick to bball and baseball.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 11, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

With our luck, Dallas backup offesive linemen will play allstars. Tony Romo is elusive too like when he made Orakpo miss and completed the winning touchdown pass in Dallas last year :(

Posted by: MimiAnsari | September 11, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

scamp- collateral damage as I mock the old lady beep-beep.

tough loss nonetheless, the acc should stick to bball and baseball.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 11, 2010 11:48 PM |

You know, Georgia Tech has fielded some very good football teams over the years but alas those pesky academic standards that schools such as this and Purdue adhere to make it difficult to be a top notch team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Scamp; I guess that guy can kiss his bonus good by next year!

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Scamp; I guess that guy can kiss his bonus good by next year!

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:08 AM |

No doubt. It sure would have been worth it though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 12, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

True, so long as you have another job lined up.

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

does anyone see a weakness in Dallas? with the exception of Stevie Wonder yeah. there O-line is not only hurting it's not opening up the run game the way the boys would like. Michael Irvin recently set down the pipe and ripped Roy Williams. to which Roy replied "he lit me up" in an unrelated story a crack pipe was quoted as saying the same thing. Dez Bryant is more hype than Kool Aid man himself. he hasn't played or really practiced and his best prediction from Dallas media is 5 catches 65 yards. there front seven is still tough but weve seen the same talent level in our front seven when #92 is in. and trust me he's been in. that secondary is still suspect and i believe Kyle will attack it early and often even Banks may get a deep route. like I said last night before wapo stole my story Mike Shanahan has been preparing for this for a long time, please don't think he's not ready. Redskins 27 Dallas10

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 12, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Wazzup wid dat?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 11, 2010 10:42 PM
-----------

What's up with that is that the Fighting Showalter's are freaking awesome and the Washington Natinals are basically still the Montreal Expos.

O's would put a serious beatdown on the Natinals at this point. I'd love to see Peter Angelos really stick it to the Natinals and their "fans" by signing Dunn to play for the O's next year. That'd be a sweet how-do-ya-do to all Natinal fans.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 12, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I garentee he will reply to this post !

Posted by: hessone | September 11, 2010 10:32 PM
-----

I only have to respond to this to make fun of your spelling of the word 'guarantee.' I mean seriously?

I could understand maybe the mix-up between where you put that 1st 'e' instead of the correct 'a,' but the exclusion of the 'u' is just downright deplorable.

Oh, I'm probably using too many big words so I'll depart. However, I'll return before within a fortnight.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 12, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh poopy, stooping to the blog spelling police...tsk, tsk, tsk.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 12, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Scott; Seems from your comments (I follow the blog but am often way behind to comment) that things are good in Cali. I just bought a house in Seabrook Texas. Right on Galvitan Bay, aside from the humidity, it reminds me of the days on Chesapeake back home. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Hope poopy doesn't get me for my spelling of Galveston

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 12:45 AM

Indeed all is well. Things couldn't be better.Enjoy Texas...except for all the Cowd0uche fans.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 12, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Cowpukes & Texassns fans. I can deal with it. Got NFL Sunday Ticket and can decide who I watch the game with.

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Usually just my beautiful wife and myself. She is a Jacksonville/Pittsburgh fan, So long as the Skins aren't playing them, life is easy.

Posted by: msrent | September 12, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff. Luckily I have a Redskins fan for a wife so I don't have to worry about that part...

Goodnight and HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 12, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

"... why did you have to go and say that (that the 'boys will run the ball)?jk"

Four preseason games reveal one truism about the skins' D:

You can run on its edges.

You can collapse the redskin ends when the D is in a 3-4 front, and then run wide to the side you choose.

It seems the linebackers over pursue or when the safeties come up in support, they are not all that successful.

I hope I'm wrong about this.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Yeah baby, let's get this season started!!! First the 'Skins get started, then the Caps. I friggin' love this time of year!

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 12, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Today's Winners:

Panthers, Redskins, Falcons, Texans, Packers, Patriots, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Lions, Niners, Dolphins, Ravens, and Chargers.

Best Matchup?: Schaub/Johnson v. Manning and the Pips (Wayne, Gonzalez, Garcon, Clark, and Collie)

Ugliest Game?: Browns v. Bucs (it should be shown at 2 am and only in whatever prison they torture terrorists in)

Best Performers?: Manning, Gates, Portis, Charles, C Johnson, Brady, and Henne.

Best Trash Talk Game?: J-E-T-S v. Ravens

Worst Post O' the Day: You just finished reading it.

Enjoy the Pro Football!

The King Of American Sports is BACK!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Damn right Moe! McNabb interview with "The Cokemaker"...I mean, Michael Irvin on NFLN this morning!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 12, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

"First the 'Skins get started, then the Caps. I friggin' love this time of year!"

Your head will be spinning in about a month.

Why?: NBA preseason, NHL preseason, NCAA Football, Pro Football, World Series, Fall movies, non-stop holidays, etc..

mrsmoe: Me, the kids, and my boyfriend are sealing you here in this room with the flat screen and computer for a couple of months.

moe: That's cool.

Just slip some ribs under the door from time to time.

Pay that Directv bill or I'll kill ya.

You can put up the Christmas tree up without me, can't you?

Tell your boyfriend not to get you pregnant again as I can't afford another paternity test.

And one other thing:

Come back into my life sometime before Spring Training.

You can leave again after that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 12, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Pro Football is Here B_tches!

I'll see you losers at the game, I have to update my fantasy team.

HTTR! We will f_ck Dallas up tonight!

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 12, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

It's game day brothers!

BEAT DALLAS!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 12, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Finally, got my picks in, all chores ars done, everything is set up for non stop NFL. Hand me that remote, give me my yellow and red flags, and tee that mofo up. I'm ready for some football.

Q) What the hell are you doing up so early on a Sunday morning Hess ?

I'll answer that for ih8.

A) Prepin to kick some Cowboy's ass !

Posted by: hessone | September 12, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey Poopy.

Dude, you can talk good football sometimes, and some of your humor is funny, but you're beating a dead horse's DNA when you go on and on about body functions. Give it a break, and consider a truce, one I'd gladly accept. I'm sure the other posters would rather talk football with us than read our arguments. Besides, it's time to join together as Redskin fans and kick some Cowboy ass. HTTR !

guarantee