Larry Johnson says he and Clinton Portis will complement each other

Running back Larry Johnson met with reporters today for the first time since signing with the Redskins, and, though he doesn't consider that playing for his third team in six months signifies a fresh start, he intends to fight his way to as much playing time as possible.

"I don't say it's a fresh start. I mean, there've been so many fresh starts I've done had," Johnson said. "This is more like I'm just going into a different era of my own -- pretty much coming in here and being here and trying to work as hard as I can to impress the coaches and to see where it goes from there. I don't want to say it's a fresh start. Being 30, your fresh starts are already gone. I definitely came in here with the mindset of coming in and working hard for Coach Shanahan."

So what exactly does that mean? Is he cool sharing carries? Splitting playing time? Johnson says he's definitely bringing a starter's mindset to his new gig in Washington.

"I wouldn't come in and say I want to be the third guy or the fourth guy," he said. "I just come in to work hard and wherever they have me on the depth chart is wherever they have me. But it's going to be all [based] off of how hard I work here."

"I know Coach Shanahan real well, as far as him being with the Broncos, when I first came into the AFC West and being able to play against him. For him, I knew his offense, I knew the things he was capable of doing -- especially with this team."

Johnson said he has spoken with Clinton Portis and though the two haven't talked much football, he thinks they can help each other. Johnson is 30 and Portis has plenty of mileage on his legs, so the two could benefit by sharing the backfield.

"We kind of complement each other. ...It's never, 'Oh, I'm coming here to take your spot.' It's never been no kind of feel like that," Johnson said.

Playing against the Broncos in the AFC West, Johnson feels like he has a good understanding for Shanahan's offenses, which was a major selling-point to playing in Washington. The possibility of splitting carries is part of what made Denver's running games so great, he said.

"It always seems to work out that way, it works best that way, as far as the offense, especially coach Shanahan's offense," Johnson said. "He has so many backs and you get used to using all three backs at the same time. It definitely better for both of us. It'll take off the wear and tear and have us play longer and produce more results."

In Kansas City, Johnson wasn't shy when he was unhappy with his role. He says he comes to Washington knowing that he's not the featured back and he doesn't feel like he has the privilege to complain.

"To me, at this point in time, you lose the [ability] to be able to speak up," he said. "You have to regain a respect as far as how many touches you can and can't have. I think in Kansas City, I thought I deserved more because I'd been there before any of the coaches got there.

"I think it's different here because I've got to rework again to get myself back into how many carries I'm going to get per game."

Johnson has created as many headlines for his off-the-field problems. He doesn't anticipate having such problems in Washington. He spoke at length with Coach Mike Shanahan before signing the contract.

"It's a trust. I trust them that they will do the right thing by my career, and I trust them. And they trust me to do what's in the best interest of the organization," he said.

After the Chiefs released him, Johnson.played the final half 2009 with Cincinnati in a reserve role, a period he calls a transition -- one that he says might've helped him prepare for Washington.

"When I got to the Bengals, it was a little bit more like this offense is now," Johnson said, "kind of run first, pass second type of thing."

Johnson has hit the age at which most running backs seem to decline. And critics can certainly point to his stats to show that Johnson is several years removed from peak performances. He doesn't see it that way.

"I still have a lot left. People keep forgetting I didn't really play much my first couple of years in NFL, let alone college. I still have a lot of burn left and haven't really been nicked up or hurt, thank God, as far as my whole career.

"This is really me just kind of smooth it on out, kind of like a Cadillac; it never really loses its luster, just kind of moves on in."

By Rick Maese  |  April 1, 2010; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Free agency , Larry Johnson , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sam Bradford, James Andrews speak of the Redskins and D.C.'s charms
Next: Safety Eric Berry completes visit with Redskins

Comments

sharing carries among the running backs...wow...what a novel idea....someone get ahold of JZorn, and see if he can wrap his mind around this....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Why Clinton, that blouse looks fabulous on you!"

"Thank you Larry, I love your pearls!"

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Dam slow readers hurry up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Uh wow, we really need to draft a RB!

Posted by: Stu27 | April 1, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 1:03 PM

Not a bad idea, except you better have the deal for Gaither in place before the draft. Otherwise, the Skins will have to give up more than a second for him.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 1:28 PM

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The two running backs compliment each other:

ACT ONE, WASHINGTON REDSKINS LOCKER ROOM.

JOHNSON: Yo Clinton. You looking fine today, brotha.

PORTIS: You too Larry.

JOHNSON: New shoes?

PORTIS: Nah, just some I had laying around the back of he closet.

JOHNSON: You should wear them more often. They really make them ankles of yours look mighty fine.

PORTIS: Why, thank you Larry. I gots to say I loves yo boats too.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I knew there'd be some compliment/complement byplay up here; I didn't think it would be within the first three posts. Aren't you a frisky bunch.

Posted by: TheCindy | April 1, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM

That was funny. It was also funny when I did it six minutes before you.

You should focus your comedy on the JC-bashing.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The skins don't have to look outside of their own organization to see that drafting a QB in the first round has been disastrous. The only 1st round draft QB by the skins that is worth a limp noodle is Sammy Baugh - 1937 draft. . . Speaking of limp noodles. . . the draft winner for best name. . .drum roll. . .1964 7th rounder. . . Dick Shiner

Posted by: mjames1 | April 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

BRADFORD first pick, OKUNG second pick, SUH third pick, now what? Who wants to trade up for:

QB - JIMMY CLAUSEN #2, TIM TEBOW #3.
C - MAURKICE POUNCEY #1, J.D. WALTON #2.
OG - MIKE IUPATI #1, JOE ASAMOAH #2.
OT - BRYAN BULAGA #2, BRUCE CAMPBELL #3.
WR - DEZ BRYANT #1, GOLDEN TATE #2.
TE - JERMAINE GRESHAM #1, RON GRONKOWSKI #2.
RB - C.J. SPILLER #1, RYAN MATHEWS #2.
DE - DERRICK MORGAN #1, JASON PIERRE-PAUL. #2.
DT - GERALD McCOY #2, DAN WILLIAMS #3.
LB - ROLANDO McCLAIN #1, SEAN WITHERSPOON #2.
CB - JOE HADEN #1, KYLE WILSON #2.
FS - ERIC BERRY #1, EARL THOMAS #2.

Nobody IMO.

I see primary REDSKIN needs #1 and least need #10.

1 - OT.
2 - QB.
3 - LB.
4 - FS.
5 - DT.
6 - C.
7 - CB.
8 - RB.
9 - WR.
10- K, P, ST.

So who do you take? A #2 player in a primary position of need, or a #1 player in a secondary position of need? All these players and needs are negotiable of course. I'll be called brain-dead for even postulating my take by any number of "experts" here. Everybody sees them differently, and everybody got one. This is just my list.

And the answer to my question is......I have no idea what the REDSKINS will do in the draft. Like you, I've got to wait and see.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It sounds all too good, it sounds like Portis will be out of a job by the 8th week of the season. Or does it really sound like both he and Portis will be complaining because of lack of touches!

Posted by: joeboggs | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Cindy - TWO handles? Is this an April Fools surprise?

Lest not forget I was the Redskins One 'Touchdown' originator.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

36 QBs threw 160 or more passes last season:

Top 5 pick:
peyton, eli, Rivers, Palmer, Ryan, mcnabb, Stafford, A Smith, Sanchez, Young, JaMarcus, K Collins

1st round picks, 6th overall or later:
Cutler, Campbell, Rodgers, Flacco, big Ben, Freeman, Quinn, Boller

2nd round picks:
Favre, Brees, Henne

Later round (3 or later):
Schaub, Brady, Orton, Garrard, Cassel, Bulger, Hasselback, Fitzpatrick, Edwards, D Anderson

not picked:
romo, Warner, Delhomme

Obviously, this doesn't account for the picks that didn't make it.

2nd round
2nd round
Top 5
1st round
1st round
Top 5
Later round
Not drafted
Later round
Not drafted

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

So, the next time Larry Johnson beats up his girlfriend, Clinton Portis can play "Sheriff Gonna Getcha"???

Well, I guess they would complement each other...

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson says he and Clinton Portis will complement each other:

CP: You da man
LJ: No, you da man
CP: No, you da man
LJ: No, you da man
CP: No, you da man
LJ: No, you da man
CP: No, you da man
LJ: No, you da man
CP: No, you da man

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

This is a joke.

This guy is collecting a check.

Can't anyone else see that?

Larry is a BUM. Clinton is a dick.

Clinton might play well in 2010 but what a cancer.

Mark my words---both these guys are looking for jobs in 2010 AND no one will want them. The TO syndrum. Let's call it that.

Posted by: pstate11 | April 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 1:28 PM

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I may be wrong but IMO it comes down to Clausen's workout/visit. If he impresses in both and they decide he's their guy they will pull the trigger to get Gaither. If they decide he isn't or they aren't completely sold then they will stand pat until draft day and see what their options are when they clock starts ticking at #4.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ryp --

Who pissed in your cheerios today?

In honor of April Fools Day, I decided to give JC17 the day off.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 1, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"LT-RT-C/G"

Posted by: 4-12 | April 1, 2010 12:55 PM

No.....That's just as bad as 'Wr-TE-WR'

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Teams would consider trading up for McCoy and Berry. If the top three go like that we should do whatever we can to trade out of #4. But thats pretty obv with the talent drop off after the first 3 picks for the positions in high demand QB, O and D line.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Relax Vic - a little light hearted jabbing.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I went back to the old ID, just for old times' sake and for giggles, but it was 37 percent less fun than I expected.

Posted by: TheCindy | April 1, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

37%? I found an old poll that ran on RI last year that said it was 32% less fun. C'mon, get it together Cindy.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We oughta get a stud LT at #4 and a stud RT at #36, then with either our third or fourth pick we get a blue-chip C/G type.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 12:37 PM

The Redskins don't have a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: dfbovey | April 1, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

No.....That's just as bad as 'Wr-TE-WR'

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

LT at #4 overall makes sense. You're typically not going to get a great left tackle anywhere else. I don't know why everyone wants a RT in the second round so bad. I think it's a reach unless one of the left tackles falls and you take a guy that has left tackle potential to play right tackle. True right tackles don't command a premium like left tackles. I'd rather take the best prospect in a position of need in the second round and get a true right tackle later maybe in round 4 or 5. Would these guys really want to take a right tackle over maybe nate allen or jahvid best? I certainly wouldn't. Take Nate Allen in round 2 and grab a guy like kyle calloway in round 4. Zane Beadles or Ed Wang would be fine too.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 1, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

dfbovey, I didn't say our third or fourth ROUND pick, I said our third or fourth pick. By which I meant the third or fourth pick the Redskins exercise in this draft.

I'm well aware that our beloved franchise, in a charitable mood, gave away several of the picks in this draft.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I love all of these draft scenarios.

It appears that the only way this draft is going to work out to everyone's satisfaction is if Snyder and the Redskins can somehow move up and take the first five picks of round one.

And perhaps the only way to get there would be to have Snyder convince the other owners to allow him to team with Ted Leonsis to start a new franchise, say in the District of Columbia... to be called the Cap-Wizards... in honor of GM Bruce Allen's demonstrated acumen in dealing with player salary caps.

That way Snyder could keep Jason and the newly-named "Argonauts" at FEDEX Field...

and leverage Ted Leonsis' popularity and ownership stake to build a new stadium near Nationals Park.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED TO BITE THE BULLET, AND START DRAFTING OUR PRIMARY NEEDS, LT.TACKLE PLUS AS MANY OFFENSIVE LINEMEN AS POSSIBLE. FIND A HIDDEN GEM IN LATER ROUNDS TO BE A STARTER IN SECONDARY AND AT LINEBACKER. IF THEY CAN ACCOMPLISH THAT '''''''''''' LOOK OUT

Posted by: wheelerd | April 1, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

4th, how so?? LT is the highest priority, and then RT is the 2nd highest.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Cindy - TWO handles? Is this an April Fools surprise?

Lest not forget I was the Redskins One 'Touchdown' originator.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

CindyBoren and TheCindy are sharing carries. They complement each other.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 1, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

SMACK! Chia Pet is back! What a great day!

Posted by: TheCindy | April 1, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I think there are a number of good options that could fall to us in the fourth round and fit into our scheme. They may not be opening day starters, but could become starters later this year or next.

OT: Kyle Calloway and Selvish Capers come to mind (not crazy about Vlad Ducasse for us - he is still VERY raw with his skills)

G: Marshal Newhouse and Adam Ulotoski (and both could be candidates for RT as well, so good for our depth)

Marshal Newhouse reminds my of Releigh McKenzie - that guy could play any position on the line (except maybe LT)

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

In 2009, our offense was 29th in yards per carry and 28th in sack %.

Couldn't run, couldn't protect the passer. If that doesn't SCREAM "offensive line", not sure what will!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, how so?? LT is the highest priority, and then RT is the 2nd highest.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:01 PM

Ehhh.....We don't have the ILBs to run a 3-4. We are slim @ NT for the 3-4. We don't have a change of pace RB, nor a young one. We don't have a QB.

Our problems are far beyond OLine.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I only get Post Points for one sign-in.

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Okung at 4, McCoy at 37.

linebacker, OL for every other pick.

Posted by: original_mark | April 1, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

agreed 4th, but we can make do running a 4-3....and have a pretty good, to great defense.

we can't trot out Blank, Dock, Rabach, BMW, Heyer, and have a pretty good offense.

Isn't it about time the team averaged more than 20 points per game?? You know, were able to score points in bunch's, and not just once...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Our problems are far beyond OLine.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But OLine is by far the biggest problem.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:12 PM

Greg, it’s okay….they’re gonna run a hybrid 3-4, which “means more turnovers”……which translates to more scoring of course.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

for the posters who like to use the phrase locker room cancer in regards to portis, etc.

How about a 3rd string rookie QB making 10 mil a year, locker room cancer?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

well, if we do take qb in the first round, you gotta expect someone else showed something they like along the o line of the current stock of players.

like the lictenstein dude... but of course there have been zero mincamps... but I guess will have to trust in the shanny.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

dl, haha, yeah, sorry, I forgot that Los is gonna pick of 8 passes, taking 4 to the house.....my bad...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

PASkinsFan, remember Jon Jansen? He was a second round pick and held down that side of the line for a decade. So please, don't tell me it's not worth spending a second round pick on a RT.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

and about the previous post... cant that be seen as collusion? Andrews, the doct peeps are asking about his shoulder... giving teams advice on his shoulder....

then saying he would like him to go to the skins...

hmm....

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Our problems are far beyond OLine.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But OLine is by far the biggest problem.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It is now, because we got rid of our horrendous coaches and the worst GM ever.

Competent coaching, a quality system, and professionals in charge of personnel now mean we are in a dramatically better place than we were last season. Do this, name me one starter on the Texans Oline without looking it up......I didn't think so.

Duane Brown
Kasey Studdard
Chris Myers (not the fox radio guy)
Chris White
Eric Winston

Not exactly an elite unit or even an above average player at any position yet they had the best passing offense in the league. Even if we don't go tackle with the first pick I'm confident we'll be better next year then we were last year. Heck, with the line we had last year a competent coach would have had that squad at 8-8 minimum. I trust them either way, whether they go QB or not and I'm not arrogant enough to think my armchair GM opinion is the only way to go. And its very refreshing to feel that way about my team again, its been since Marty was booted and VC rehired since that was the case.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Silly zeke and Beantown...obviously the awful yards per carry/sack %/inability to score points are all Jason Campbell's fault, because he holds the ball too long/is afraid to throw down field/is a mouth breather.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

zj, to me, its just putting off the inevitable...this is a DEEP draft along the OL, from what I've read....I'd rather use their #1/#2 on OL, and just start go with that.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

With all the coverage of QBs, I haven't seen any coverage here of Colt McCoy's pro day at Texas. Did the Skins send any scouts? Are they planning to bring him in for a visit? Has anyone asked Shanahan about him?

I've seen a lot of suggestions that he could/should be the second round pick if we draft OT in the first round. That's a plan I like. McCoy is a hell of a lot better as a QB prospect than Tebow and appears to possess some of the same intangibles. Doesn't have the best arm but it seems like scouts think it's "good enough" in the right system.

Posted by: manifested

Reports last night were that McCoy had an EXCELLENT Pro Day (don't they all?). NONE of his balls hit the ground and he was more creative than Bradford.

Mike McCarthy liked him better than Bradford. Don't know if any Skins were in attendance.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This may surprise you but Jon Jansen isn't going to be drafted this year. There is a good chance that there won't be a great prospect there. You may have to reach to get a guy. With the amount of depth in this draft a 2nd round guy this year is kind of like a first rounder in other years. Why reach for a right tackle when you could still get a starter at free safety or linebacker in round 2 and a starter at right guard/right tackle in round 4? There will still be a bunch of great prospects there and I don't see the point in reaching for a guy when we can take a good prospect later in the draft. It just seems to me that right tackle and right guard are two positions that you can pull starters out of the later rounds. I don't think you can do that with free safety. Right tackle, right guard, and running backs are plentiful enough that they don't require a high pick. I'd just use the high pick on the best prospect available in a position of need and try to pull a starter at a much thinner position.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Okung in the first, Tebow in the second, OL-DL-LB in 4, 5, and 7.

Championship!

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R

I can almost hear the squeaky chair J Reid sits in sliding backwards and Reid muttering, now there's a story I could do!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 1, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I think TE and LS are one and the same, but you'd have to ask him. Maybe after the NCAA's once he's come off his Duke Blue Devils Championship hi!!!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Could you name some of these, for the record, especially the RT/RG types.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"You have to regain a respect as far as how many touches you can and can't have. I think in Kansas City, I thought I deserved more because I'd been there before any of the coaches got there."
-----------
Hmmmm. What a dumb statement. Portis has been here longer than any of our coaches. Rock and Betts had been here longer than our coaches, so by this logic they deserved more carries (and, presumably, not to be cut).

Posted by: closer44 | April 1, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree if after watching the workouts and talking with them and studying the game tape they conclude that neither Clausen or Bradford present an immediate upgrade over Campbell and a reasonable expectation of getting a franchise QB then I hope their focus is completely on the Oline. However, if they believe either or both do present that opportunity and they are available at #4 that has to be the choice and then address the line in other ways. But for the people on here to pretend they know better than Allen/Shanahan, some of the most respected people in their profession, because they watched a game or two on TV of Bradford/Clausen, listened/read some draft geek's opinion, read some stats on them, or because they've been pounded into submission by pabrian or paskins is silly. I'll trust whatever Shanahan and Allen decide and I'll wait three years before I complain about any moves they make because their resumes have earned them that and they are coming into a tough roster/culture thanks to their predecessors. When you have Orakpo saying that now he feels like things are being run like a professional organization and things weren't even as organized last year as they were at his college that says it all for me. At the very least let's let the professionals have a full offseason, a full training camp, a full season to turn this around before we start pretending we're smarter then they are and our opinion is the only way to go.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,
He’s eating dinner at Denny's right now.

Don't worry, he’ll be up here til right before he goes to bed and then right after he wakes up tomorrow morning.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 1, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"There is a good chance that there won't be a great prospect there."

Said who?

I've seen (in a rough estimate) about 20 mock drafts this offseason, and there hasn't been a single one that has the entire crop of top tier tackles gone in the first round.

I'd say there's a great chance a great prospect will be available at #36 for RT.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Good post.. agreed, but my armchair vote goes to Okung if avialable, for the simple fact that as of right now.. we dont have a starting LT.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:41 PM

Heard that he changed his name to League-Source so that Jason Reid would quote him more often.

Also, the review I heard of McCoy's Pro Day was that he has issues and is a bit of a project -- well suited for a West Coast offense, but not for one that involves a lot of deep throws. I think this was on ESPN, and they predicted he'd go in the second round. His name has been linked in the past to Shanahan.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:35 PM
-----------------------------------------
Frankly, I think he'd be more impressive if his balls did hit the ground...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Y'know I'm really starting to like this Washington football franchise. I might finally be coming around to your all's way of thinking.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 1, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love listening to players... "I've done had"... awesome

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 1, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone heard from Talent Evaluator? He used to be on the blog day and night but seems to have disappeared.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse"

My bet is he's still on here day and night...

..under a different handle.

You can change names, but the writing style and content remains the same. I bet you can guess which one if you think about it.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this will be another played out drama for the Redskins.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 1, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, that's just the April 1st talking...

Posted by: 4-12 | April 1, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah, he revealed himself. Took the fun out of the game.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"There is a good chance that there won't be a great prospect there."

Said who?

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:45 PM
------------------------------------------
Right tackle, yes. Left tackle, no. At least not one that is going to be a day one starter. It's my worry that they draft a QB first and then look for a left tackle in the second round. If you look at the talent at OT in the draft, I think you have Okung at one level, then about four guys at a similar level, and then another big drop off at the third tier. I think a right tackle can be found in that third tier - or possibly a developmental prospect at left tackle - but no day one starter at left tackle.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 2:44 PM |
------------------------------------

You know the underlying reason for that; the idea that "their guy (JC17)" won't be the starting QB here this season makes them apoplectic with rage and bewilderment.

They'll get over it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 1, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 2:50 PM

Hey, you, before registration I had about six different writing styles and six handles and no one up here knew it. It helps if you've got multiple personalities and other internal disequilibria. After registration, it was too much trouble to manage so I started taking pills.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't we have that in Stephon Heyer?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 2:35 PM

Thats right.. Bradford did have 1 ball reach the ground.. not sure how you get more creative than that.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Updated: April 1, 2010, 1:50 PM ET
Source: Sims hopes to speed up tradeEmail By John Clayton ESPN.com

Seattle Seahawks guard Rob Sims plans to sign his one-year, $1.101 million restricted free-agent tender Thursday, hoping to speed up his chances for a trade, according to a source.

The Seahawks recently informed Sims he was being shopped and they were hoping to get three teams involved. The Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions have expressed interest in Sims and, according to a source, the Philadelphia Eagles might also be interested.

Sims, a fourth-round draft choice, has 34 starts in his four seasons in Seattle. The former Ohio State guard has the flexibility to play the left or the right side of the line, which makes him attractive to teams.

Pick Okung at 4 fans should welcome this news.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

4-12, Lisa, Beantown, John, PAskinsfan, Skinsfanintampa, Talent/League, edvar, dlhaze...it's a reunion up here. Maybe I can get Leigh Torrence for a keynote speaker.

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

well, looking at who has what picks

Cle has 3 3rd rounders
KC has two 2nds (#4 and #18)
NE has the 22nd and three 2nds (12,15,21)
SF has two ones (13,17)
Sea has two 1's (6, 14)
TB has 2 2's (3,10)
TEn has two 3's (13,33)

So if we trade with x team, i can see x scenario to get out of our pick and get more picks

Cle #7, and 2 3rd's
KC #5 and 1 2nd
NE (who would never do this, but for funzies) #22 and the two later 2nds
SF - their two ones for our 1 and 2
Sea - same as above or 1 and 2 for the 4pick
TB - since the pick lower than us their 2 twos and a 3
Ten - #16 and 2 3's

So who do these teams like?

Cle - QB?
KC - Berry?
NE - no one
SF- QB and S or RB?
Sea - Berry, jumping over KC
TB - gets their DT at 3 and berry at 4?
Tenn - seems to have a perfect slot at 16 to get their need at LB of DL (not DT)

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Could you name some of these, for the record, especially the RT/RG types.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Cuurent NFL players that were late round picks or prospects in this draft that will be RT/RGs?

NFL players
Atlanta Falcons-Tyson Clabo-RT-undrafted
Denver Broncos-Tyler Polombus-RT-undrafted
NE Patriots - Nick Kaczur-RT-round 3
NE Patriots - Stephen Neal - undrafted
Saints - Jhari Evans- round 4

Prospects in this draft:
Kyle Calloway
Sam Young
Zane Beadles (looked good at center)
Ed Wang
John Jerry
Ciron Black
Adam Ulatoski
Chris Marinelli
Michael Petrus
Michael Johnson (would be a great guard for us)
Sergio Render
Marshall Newhouse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 1, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

zj, gotta call you on this, wasn't this the approach that I took with MK/DT/FD/JT, which you found so objectionable, you know, giving them time before declaring them a waste??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I can get Leigh Torrence for a keynote speaker.

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

He's busy curing cancer right now.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 3:01 PM |
------------------------------

Oh, Cindy, you do disappoint.

You only recognize the homers.

This blog's lifeblood comes from the carping, cantankerous, sesquipedalian voices such as The Cork, RedDMV, and myself.

How about a little love, huh?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | April 1, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

pa, you named 5 guys, of 32 teams, and 2 positions, so out of a possible 64 spots, you named 5....I'm just saying I'd rather spend the EARLY picks on the line, and get QUALITY.....just saying...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

But of course. Great to see you, too, and Cork and Red. Who doesn't love the carping, the cantankerous and the sesquipdalian? There.

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So we have been playing the QB, S angle here for a while.

Bradford gone at 1, i can see

cle - jumping 3 spots if they think we like clausen.... but from ND so not likely

KC - seems to make the most sense since they LOVE berry and KC sits behind us

Sea - has the same prob as cle.. couple spots for the 2nd best QB

SF - at 13 the first two qb's could be gone, but it says they need a safety bad, and with KC up after us.... see above.

TB - Again berry

Tenn - doubtful as their needs are not in our area of the draft.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Ideal scenario:
1.Bradford
2.Best OL available
3.Can we trade an expendable part (Jarmon, Carter, etc...)for a 3rd round pick? In Carter's case we could re-work his contract in an uncapped year to make him attractive to someone
4,5,7 =best available

Next best scenario:

1. Okung
2. Colt McCoy (I think he looks like Drew Brees)
3. Trade our 4th and Jeremy Jarmon to the Ravens for Gaither...end up 2 nice bookends

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 1, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Tenn - doubtful as their needs are not in our area of the draft."

I'm sure they'd love to find a replacement for Haynesworth, and it's very possible Suh or McCoy is sitting there at #4.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

So realistically, all we have to do is say we are taking Berry or a Qb and we should have 3 teams wanting to move to us.

TB has a top five pick, and I hear they dont want to spend a lot of money, so a 3 and 4 pick would be alot.

Cle I doubt wants another rook qb from ND (now if bradford falls, the S will hit the fan)

So I expect Shanallahan play KC like a fiddle, telling them that Sea or SF are moving to 4 for Berry and watch em all dance!!!!

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

------------------
Silly? I thought this was the whole point.

Posted by: closer44 | April 1, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Cindy, you do disappoint.

You only recognize the homers.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

-------------------

Are we playing RI Celebrity again? Ugg. =)

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

psps - nfl.com (where all the info came from) says they need outside DL, not tackles.

At 16 they should get one.

Really KC, if it is not a smokescreen and really do love berry, should be the team to play. that is why I love our FO for being the way they are now vs the way they were.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

1. Okung
2. Colt McCoy (I think he looks like Drew Brees)

+++++

Why would you do that?

If we take Okung and McCoy, we would be looking for a RT with our 4th, right? So we take Marshal Newhouse or Kyle Calloway or Selvish Capers or Adam Ulatoski and KEEP Jarmon.

Build.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You're missing my point entirely. We can still get a quality right tackle and right guard in the 4th and 5th rounds. If you look at right guards and right tackles there aren't a lot with 2nd round grades this year. Who is the tackle you want to take in the second? If pouncy, Vlad Ducasse, and Iupati are gone and the 6 left tackles are gone the are you telling me you'd rather reach for Roger Saffold or Tony Washington than to take a better prospect at another position? That just seems silly. I don't think the 2nd round pick has to be a tackle. Obviously if Charles Brown or Anthony Davis fell that far then yeah, take them but otherwise why not fill another need with a better prospect?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Would this keep the masses happy?

Draft #4 QB - Bradford/Clausen
Trade #37 to Baltimore for Gaither... word has it, Ravens would like a high #2

It gives us QB of future & LT who we know can play football for years to come.

Posted by: tony325 | April 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

That's because they were chosen under the bug eyed fool that shall not be named. After a decade of crap decisions he lost all benefit of the doubt. And I'd still say other than FD we're still waiting on MK/DT/JT/CR so we'll see how they do this year with legit coaching and a proven OC in charge. They've all shown flashes but even Davis still has to prove consistency.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjames1 | April 1, 2010 1:38 PM
=================
(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Best case scenario is moving with KC back 1 spot (so they can get berry) and getting who we wanted at 5 and getting a 2nd from them.

#4 in the 2nd might be too much, but the #18 should work.

Then we get T,T,QB with the 1st 3 picks

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

pa, I haven't followed the draft as closely this year as in years past, but the fact still remains, you were only able to name 5 spots out of 64, just sayin....

zj, haha, just keeping you honest....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

1. Okung
2. Colt McCoy (I think he looks like Drew Brees)

+++++

Why would you do that?

Build.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

No...if we could find a package the Ravens would accept WITHOUT having to give up our #2 pick would be ideal...then you'd have 2 bookend tackles...a nice QB prospect who can sit behind JC for a year...

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 1, 2010 3:25 PM

I would happily take Saffold at #37.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

CJ and Portis are stop gaps at running back. Neither will be back in 2011.

Posted by: Pensfans | April 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

took a look at all the Pro Bowl OT from 2005-2008 and what round they were drafted:

flozell -2
Willie Anderson -top 10

17 guys total:
9 were drafted in the top 10 overall
2 were drafted in rd 1 btwn 11th and 32
5 were drafted in rd 2
1 was undrafted

Pretty clear, if you want a top tackle, they only show up in rounds 1 & 2. If I recall correctly, Peters, the undrafted guy, was a TE in college that was converted to T as a pro.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Would this keep the masses happy?

Draft #4 QB - Bradford/Clausen
Trade #37 to Baltimore for Gaither... word has it, Ravens would like a high #2

It gives us QB of future & LT who we know can play football for years to come.

Posted by: tony325 | April 1, 2010 3:26 PM
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't be ecstatic about drafting either of those QB's. I think the team can pick up a developmental prospect to ride the pine or just do without a QB pick at all. Gaither I like, but someone on here said something that made be think twice about that: if Ozzie Newsome - arguably the best talent evaluator in the league - says he doesn't want a player, then what does it say about the player? Still, I'd pull the trigger on that trade if I did my due diligence on Gaither and he came up with no issues. He's a day one starter at left tackle and the team would be lucky to find that in the second round.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Gaither is injury Prone! You think they would let go a great LT for soo cheap!

Set-UP! No....

Unless it's for a 3rd rounder...

....And his agent is Drew Rosenhaus...so he will be looking to make $7Mil per year on top of trading the pick!

Now...that's what I call a Gibbs 2.0/Vinny move....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

z, you recall absolutely correctly....perfect example of why I want to draft OL QUALITY....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren

Too funny :)

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 1, 2010 3:30 PM |

I guess it depends on who they want.

Jarmon has too much upside, and we already spent our third rounder from this years draft on him. I'd hate to get rid of him before we actually get to that round in the draft...

I wish I was more sold on Gaither. Something fishy about him being available like this when they are not changing coaches and schemes...

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Clausen at #4 if they like him if not Okung or Williams
Saffold, Brown, Campbell, Veldheer or Capers in the 2nd
John Jerry, Zane Beadles, or Mike Johnson in the 4th
Stafon Johnson rb USC in the 5th or a center
Best Available WR in the 7th

If they take Clausen then trade a 2011 2nd and 4th to the Ravens for Gaither.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

To me, trading for Gaither would be more appealing if our starting LT blew out his knee in the first quarter of the last pre-season game.

Of course, we'd probably get raked over the coals for him at that point....

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess it depends on who they want.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree on Gaither...but I think he's worth trading our 3rd from last year...and our 4th this year for. I might think differently if we were set to run a 4-3 because I do think Jarmon has upside as well, but I can't see him fitting in as well in the 3-4

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 1, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:36 PM

See Jack's post above. Pro Bowl tackles are taken in the first and second rounds. Gaither was a fifth round supplemental draft pick. Pretty clear -- the guy's got nothing.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the "Bradford will be a Redskin" scenario is quickly becoming the worst kept secret of the Draft.
The net is buzzing about this.. And the Rams didnt help much by cancelling the neutral physician's physical of Bradford's shoulder.
Why bother? Especially with Andrews (Bradford's surgeon) being the Skins Dr anyway.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Well... Redskinhead i agree with you. If the ravens are so intent on getting rid of him, for a 2nd round pick there has to be something not right with the kid. I've seen him play and he isn't a bad LT but there has to be a reason Ozzie is so willing to let him just leave like that. I know Oher is waiting in the wings and he may be better but still... injuries and ineffectiveness occurs and its always good to have backups who can play (we of all should know that after last years oline).

I would rather just draft our own lineman. Yes it is probably more risky but i mean at this point, I forget what its like to draft a lineman and I'd just like to see it.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 1, 2010 3:44 PM

Yeah, hard to tell when his season got cut short.

At 6-3 278, he's certainly big enough to play DE in a 3-4. I guess it depends on what they want him to do.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

0 top 10
2 rd 1 after top 10
5 rd 2 or 3
2 rd 3-7
4 not drafted

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank you 4th. I don't get all the love and clamoring for Gaither on here. If he was so great I highly doubt the Ravens would be willing to move him.

Per the Colt McCoy reporting, Todd McShayit said his arm strength was lacking. He'd be good in a west coast as a 2nd-3rd rounder but would not fit a team that likes to run and throw deep. Everything else I read had positive reviews on him. Still don't want him regardless.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM
****************************************

First of all Strike year was not 1986, those strike years were 1982 and 1987
How old are you?
These were Redskins Super Bowl championship years!! Those of us 40 and older should know this by memory

Good day

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 1, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I dont think there is anything wrong with Gaither. Supposedly his work ethic isnt that great, but that is the same thing they said about him coming out of UMD. I believe the main reason why he is available is because of Anquan Boldin. They have to pay Boldin, and if they keep Gaither they are going to have to pay him too if not this year than next. It could also be a case of them outsmarting themselves. The Patriots did it last year with Seymour. He went to Oakland and had a great year. I would love for the skins to grab Okung and Gaither and then you shouldnt have to worry about the tackle position for the next 7-8 years.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 1, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Totaling up all the OL -- its not quite fair since different positions on the line have different values -- in the last 30 years, no one has used a top 10 pick on a center.

42 players total.

Top 10 overall
Round 1, 11- 32 overall
Round 2
Round 3
Rounds 4-7
Undrafted

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Stl,Det,Wash,KC,SEA,OAK,BUF,GB,DAL,IND all needing/considering OTs early in the draft. Will there be a day one starting LT @ #37?

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

z, great stats, kind of shows that if we want quality linemen, then draft them early, if we want stephon heyer, then wait...we already have him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

What surprises me most about the draft picks that became Pro Bowlers along the OL -- only 5 of the 42 guys came from rounds 3 thru 7.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM
****************************************

First of all Strike year was not 1986, those strike years were 1982 and 1987
How old are you?

Good day

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 1, 2010 3:58 PM
================
geez..Redskin Ray, you need more fiber in your diet.. lighten up..

I meant 1987 when the Skins had a replacement QB named Ed Rubbert (later portrayed by Keanu Reeves in The Replacements"). He played 3 replacement games with a 110 QB rating.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Trivia... Only 3 Redskin QBs have had their final end of season QB Ratings above 100, Sammy Baugh in 1945 at 109.9. Frank Filchock was the highest of all at 111.6 in 1939. Who was the third QB at 106.4?
(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

Todd Collins, 2007.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Gaither is available because Oher has shown he's good enough to switch to LT and they'd rather draft another RT then to pay big contracts to both Gaither and Oher while now having to pay Boldin, having re-up/extend Flacco soon, and still have a lot of money committed to the defense in Suggs, Ngata, Lewis, and Reed.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The Gaither trade proposal is in the same vein as the "trade Cooley" ideas.

They have 2 starting LTs. They only want to pay one. They're getting value now to spend on needs elsewhere.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:07 PM

Yes. All of these teams are not picking tackles in the 1st round....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

SnaGM, couldn't think of anyone so I started rooting around... and I'm curious where you're getting your stats... I'm looking at pro-football-reference and can't even find the two you're citing (Baugh '45 and Filchock '39). In fact, the highest ever single season rating they list for a Redskin is Rypien '91 with a 97.9 rating.

So you must be looking at a different source, eh? Not that pfr is canonical, but they are my go-to stats site.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, and their gonna have to pay Ray Rice now too.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

They're getting value now to spend on needs elsewhere.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM

But we won't be the suckers trading for him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM"

Todd Collins, 2007.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:11 PM
=================
psps..you are correct, sir..

ah..Toddie boy...we hardly knew ye....

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

count me as wary about trading for Gathier...Newsome just doesn't give up/away cats like that unless there is something he's playing close to the vest....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

(Excluding the strike year of 1986)

Winner gets to dumpster dive for leads with JReid at Redskins Park.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

you're not counting Kent Graham in 2001 or Joe Theismann in 1974 or Harry Theofiledes in 1968?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Oher was drafted last year around 23 if I remember right. His contract can't be that outlandish and he has to be signed for at least a couple more years. I'd rather draft our own guys to play tackle.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 1, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, TheTodd. That pfr list must have a minimum number of pass attempts or something.

TheTodd is TheMan! Not only did he have a 106.4 QB rating in 2007, he had a 106.2 rating in 2001 and a whopping 156.9 rating in 2002! I sure do miss him.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes. All of these teams are not picking tackles in the 1st round....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM |

5 can go easily in the first. Leaving 2-3 starting caliber players left on most draft boards w/ 5 team at least needing a LT. Throw into the mix that there will be a whole 12-15 hours to plot trades etc, anything is possible early in the 2nd round. If the Skins pass on the LT @ #4 their draft board needs to on point for the top 40 players.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 4:14 PM
==========================

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Newsome just doesn't give up/away cats like that unless there is something he's playing close to the vest...."

I disagree. His teams always have a lot of talent. From time to time, he's got to make a choice of who to pay.

A few years ago, it was Adalius Thomas. Last year it was Bart Scott. This year it looks like Gaither, only he's being proactive in getting compensation.

I wouldn't overthink it. Gaither has been a good player in this league (but not great), and their asking price is fair. This reads to me like a team trading away a luxury for draft picks to spend elsewhere. Whoever ends up with Gaither will be satisfied with a quality player.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Portis finish a season with a 158.2 rating?

Greatest QB of all time.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:25 PM
-------------------------------------------
I wonder if they'd be interested in trading Gaither for Carter...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Whoever ends up with Gaither will be satisfied with a quality player.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:25 PM

If he checks out fine medically, I think you're right about Gaither.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

This draft has too much qaulity.....

This will be the No Excuses draft.

Also.....

Earl Thomas > Eric Berry

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:07 PM

The answer to your question is no. At that point there will only be projects and reaches available. Some mock drafts have the skins taking Ducasse, who is now projected to be a guard because he has limited experience, a language barrier and no technique to speak of. All of the teams you mention may not be drafting tackles in the 1st round. If there are any left worth drafting in the second round remember Detroit and St. Louis draft in front of the skins in the second round. So even if a Campbell or Davis falls to early in the second they still may be gone by the time the skins are back on the board with 37.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 1, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

If Gaither is OK, then I'm fine if the Skins want to get him. Count me as suspicious, but it could be a budget thing, maybe something else. There is truth in that Flacco and Ray Rice aren't going to stay cheap.

Still, Rice (and his colleagues) and Flacco had success in significant part because the OL was good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Earl Thomas > Eric Berry

Posted by: 4thFloor

Why is this, because Mike Mayock aka "Pa Dukes" told you so?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago, it was Adalius Thomas.

whom the pats have regretted signing, and they're now probably going to outright release.....but I see your point.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that the Redskins, or anyone else, will trade for Gaither before the draft. If they trade, they'd rather trade a pick in next year's draft than in this year's draft. Maybe they trade a player now, but not a pick.

Apparently Gaither didn't show up for the first week's off season work and Harbaugh called him out in the media.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoever ends up with Gaither will be satisfied with a quality player.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:25 PM

If he checks out fine medically, I think you're right about Gaither.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 4:28 PM

He missed 5 games total in 2 different stretches last year....And he's lazy...and he has Drew R as an agent...

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Portis finish a season with a 158.2 rating?

Greatest QB of all time.

Posted by: psps23

For his career, Portis is at 116, ARE was 149 for us.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they'd be interested in trading Gaither for Carter...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 4:27 PM

If we're trading Carter because he won't fit into our 3-4, would he fit into Baltimore's 3-4?

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Why is this, because Mike Mayock aka "Pa Dukes" told you so?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 1, 2010 4:33 PM

Nope...I was never sold on Berry.....And this dude Earl Thomas looks like the truth as far as the new age FS.

Also,

Kyle Wilson > Joe Haden

(Just to show you I don't fall in line with MAyock all the time)

Kyle Wilson is the truth......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Whoever ends up with Gaither will be satisfied with a quality player.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:25 PM

And frustrated by his under-achieving attitude/work ethic. I'm against it, personally.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

ARE for his career has a 153 rating on 25 attempts. I never understood why Zorn didn't use him 4-6 times a year in that role. One ugly play call vs the jints shouldn't mean that you throw that weapon away. Just one more reason Zorn deserved to go.

Also, I thought ARE might have been used as the #3 QB -- obviously, it never came to that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 1, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm still holding out for the Okung/Tebow 1-2 punch in the draft.

Workaholic Tebow under the tutelage of Shanahan...I see some scary possibilities.

Posted by: psps23 | April 1, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The last memory that I have of Gaither was him being carted off the field after getting a concussion... wonder how many dings the guy has left..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 1, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

geez..Redskin Ray, you need more fiber in your diet.. lighten up..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM
##########################################

Hey I provided a smile face in my post.
I had lightened up; I also wished you a good day.
The irony is apparently you need to lighten up when corrected by a fellow Redskin fan.

It was all in fun.
Again, have a good day.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 1, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope PFT is paying WaPo.....cuz the rip every other post here.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Smack1, nice picture of Clausen. He should keep his helmet on more frequently.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

plenty of talk about adapting systems to players and players to systems, what about adapting systems to division cause the NFC east and undersized lineman don't mix

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"... he (L Johnson) intends to fight his way to as much playing time as possible."

Given his history, is this something we want to encourage?

And what's his role?

Power back?

Speed back? (I'll stop joking, promise)

He can't be a change o' pace when both he a Portis seemed to have lost that 'jump cut' to daylight that separates the great back from the good back.

I'd prefer a younger, speedy option coming off the bench over LJ.

Perhaps someone will emerge from the unsigned FA flotsom sure to ebb after the draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 1, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Smack1, nice picture of Clausen. He should keep his helmet on more frequently.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Backwards.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 1, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

right because the Eagles run of dominance in the NFC East has proven the only way to win is with smash mouth downhill running teams..........oh wait

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 1, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Im not high on any QBs coming out this year, but the guy who has the athleticism of elway is tebow. He is a project so we'd need Campbell for 2-3 years.

I'd like to see them wait til round 4 on QB take lefevoure or pike. O line is the clear weakest link and its a deep class and samuels retired. FS would be good too. If we end up with one of the DTs, cool.

Btw, we did get a change of pace back in LJ. It wasn't the type of pace change most were thinking, even better, a naturally bruising power back + a lighter Portis. Forget those little speed guys in the beast

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

well zj, I hear your point but that offense is designed around mcNabb, there is only one mcNabb so your not as smart as your sarcasm implies this time.

Are the colts out scouting everyone on WRs or is manning making receivers look great? I think the latter.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

its not like the eagles have lighter quicker O lineman like shanny used in the AFC west

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 1, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them wait til round 4 on QB take lefevoure or pike.

The guy in round four that would resemble Elway is John Skelton. His accuracy will improve with his footwork as he receives better coaching in the NFL.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: tony325 | April 1, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Teams don't just give away quality left tackles for 2nd round picks. Not when they are as young as Gaither. What's the story with that guy? Does he have some chronic health condition or attitude problem? Or does he want to get paid like he's Anthony Munoz? Might not be worth a 2nd round pick if he is going to be difficult to sign.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 1, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I can get Leigh Torrence for a keynote speaker.

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

He's busy curing cancer right now.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Myron Rolle is hot on his heels.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 1, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth's $21 million option bonus to be paid today

That's a lot of coin to be paying an overweight underperforming player. But contracts signed by the previous regime have to be honored. The current regime obviously isn't impressed, to the point that they are switching to a 3-4 scheme where AH will have to be content to be a high-priced DL grunt. The $$$ should take some of the edge off of his wounded pride though.

Posted by: ChinaLake | April 1, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Everyone talks a good game in the offseason. Wait to the season starts and one of these guys isn't getting his touches. We'll be hearing a different tune...

Posted by: randysbailin | April 1, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

So you really think getting a high second for a former sixth is a give away?

Posted by: abxinc | April 1, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I think he was brought in to make sure Dan Snyder isn't the least popular member of the organization. The fans in KC really took to Johnson.

Posted by: jburnetti | April 1, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Who's Blocking?

You got to have a line!
I said it four year ago!
Not a QB!
LINEMEN
I would take every pick and use it on linemen!
It's not like the Skins going to the Super Bowl this Year.
LINEMEN

Posted by: shamken | April 2, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

I would take every pick and use it on linemen!
It's not like the Skins going to the Super Bowl this Year.
LINEMEN
Posted by: shamken | April 2, 2010 6:35 AM
-------------------------------
Who knows what the offense can do - under Shanny - IF they get good blocking? And if the offense can move/keep the ball longer, the defense can be more rested to make crucial end of the game stops (for a change). I'm just sayin' .....

In Shanny I Trust

Posted by: shanks1 | April 2, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

How refreshing, "doesn't feel like he has the privilege to complain" Lets hope so.

Posted by: robertcpx | April 2, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

This team isn't one player away. It must build from the line first and work its way out. Not arguing for Campbell, but he is the least of their problems. No QB is taking this team to the Super Bowl.

Round 1: OT
Round 2: OT/G
Round 4: LB
Round 5: FS
Round 7: RB/KR

Build the core team and then go get your QB next year, if Campbell doesn't pan out in Shanny's system. I remember once upon a time that three 'average' QB's took this team to 3 Super Bowl championships when they had a strong core group. I can think of several others recently, as well. This game is still won in the trenches.

Posted by: afiorillo | April 2, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

100% agree with your draft needs assessment, afiorillo. The LB you have being picked up in the 4th round needs to be an ILB and the O-lineman in the 2nd round HAS to be able to play either left OR right Tackle. We need some solid players to start and be able to back up in those positions.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 2, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"Below is the top ten by 2009 QB rating. Instead of putting in the name, I put in their draft slot:"

So what's your conclusion?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 2, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Larry Johnson will run for 1,000 yards in 2010 for the Redskins. Just a hunch. He's 6'1 and 230 with the quickness to hit the outside and has only played the equivalent of 4.5 seasons despite being an 8 year vet.

Compare that with Portis who has logged the most carries in the NFL since he entered the league in 2002 next to LT.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Now Parker's in the mix, too? Bizarro.

Posted by: Giveussomehope | April 2, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse