Several thousand take in Fan Appreciation Day

Several thousand fans -- more than 29,000, according to the team -- were in attendance at Redskins Park on Saturday afternoon for the team's annual Fan Appreciation Day in Ashburn.

Fans were lined up on the side of the road before 7 a.m. and the crowd began filling in several hours before the noon practice, a sight that didn't escape Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan.

"I walked out of my office at 9:30 and I looked and I couldn't believe all the fans that were out there," Shanahan said. "I'm saying, 'Do these people understand that we have two more hours before practice starts?' So some very loyal fans and it was nice to get a chance to spend some time after practice with them."

Fans lined all four sides of the practice fields and players spent more than 20 minutes signing autographs after practice. Shanahan spent around an hour signing autographs and was the last person off the field.

"These people are out there before 9 o'clock in the morning and all of a sudden they stay to two in the afternoon I felt that was the least I could do," Shanahan said. "Especially since I've given the coaches off and the players off this afternoon, I've got some time to spend some time with the fans as well as [the media] and I've got a lot of hours tonight to look at the film."

Though the team has in the past held an intrasquad scrimmage during Fan Appreciation Day, Shanahan opted not to do so, saying he felt it could increase the chances of a player getting injured. Fans did see the most contact of any practice in training camp thus far, however. During goal line drills, players were hitting each other and the ground often as the offense and defense squared off.

Running back Larry Johnson turned in a strong performance, scoring twice during the goal line drills and later breaking off a big run in 11 vs. 11 drills. Tight end Fred Davis also had one of his stronger days, catching three touchdown passes including a 25-yard corner route from Rex Grossman.

Tight end Chris Cooley had one of the highlight plays when he made a diving catch between two defenders, drawing a loud "Cooley" cheer from the crowd. Cornerback Byron Westbrook also had a standout day, intercepting two passes, including one off Donovan McNabb that he returned for a touchdown. On his second interception, in the end zone on quarterback Richard Bartel, Westbrook returned it up the sideline before the entire group of offensive players charged from behind the line to make the "tackle."

Cornerback Ramzee Robinson (two interceptions) and wide receivers Anthony Armstrong and Shay Hodge also were impressive on the day.

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 7, 2010; 4:18 PM ET
Categories:  Chris Cooley , Larry Johnson , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth: 'Now it's back to playing football'
Next: Chris Horton still sees role for himself in new D

Comments

Not hoping to be first, just the Best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

It should be called fan apprehension day with AH around.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 7, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Not hoping to first, just the Best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 7, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm Pizzed. Nobody from WaPo has bothered to get the opinion on the AH situation from that kid who jumped out of Dmac's locker.

This is Redskin Insider, right?????

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 7, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Actually I guess it's nothing like that since saying he likes a "sandwich" is a given.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 4:25 PM |

Obviously you've been living a sheltered life. Ain't you never heard of crap sandwiches?

Posted by: Coriolis | August 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm nor any other Hall inductees are getting much attention due to Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Obviously you've been living a sheltered life. Where did all the trolls go?

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 7, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 4:25 PM |

Posted by: Coriolis | August 7, 2010 4:49 PM |

I have no doubt he'd take a big old bite. Now if we're talking proverbial, check out the multitude of lawsuits he's facing then you will realize that he is in the middle of eating one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 7, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Seems like an awful lot of picks today.

Yay defense, or boo offense? Hmmm...

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 7, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If this kid Armstrong keeps appearing in the highlight reel it is going to be hard to keep him out of the closing day roster. As I see guys like Austin and Armstrong rise, I can't help but think that MK is outta here, and some of the older guys signed as insurance will be unemployed as well. Maybe a starting roster of Moss, Thomas, R. Williams, Austin and Armstrong???

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 7, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Seems like an awful lot of picks today.

Yay defense, or boo offense? Hmmm...

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 7, 2010 5:42 PM

Only difference from last year's FAD is that with Jason Campbell at QB there were a lot of sacks.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 7, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN CAMP DIARY - August 7, 2010

Dear Diary

Mommy called earlier today asking if she and could rent out my room.

She said that since I now have a regular job with the Redskins and all, perhaps it's time for me to move out of her basement and allow her to make some money on the room by renting it out to someone else.

It seems she has met a nice young lad by the name of Colt who claims to have once been a quarterback for the Redskins.

"Never heard of him, " I said.

Well, whatever. It seems he needs a room while he's waiting for his next job offer to come through.

I told Mommy. "I guess you heard that Albert passed his conditioning test today. That's good news for some, but it might make my situation a bit uncertain.

"You'll recall that I was invited to come to camp to compete for his position, and now that he seems to have reclaimed it, I'm wondering where that leaves me."

We wrapped up the phone call with a promise that I'd talk with Coach and see if we could figure out what's next for me.

A little while later, I had a conversation with (old) Coach Shanahan.

It started ominously, when he began, "Well, Son, we've been thinking of going in a different direction."

"Uh oh," I thought.

"Look," he continued. "Albert woke up today and decided to take the test. Now knowing Albert even as little as I do, I gotta figure that he could just as easily wake up tomorrow and decide that he wants to do something else. And you know his history of taking plays off and faking injuries and stuff."

So he goes on to explain that he wants me to stick around and "Push Albert."

"Push Albert?" I asked. "We all realize he's a fat assed prima donna and all, but do you really think he should be pushed around camp?"

"That's not what I meant," said Shanahan. "I just want you to stay behind him every step of the way. And every time he decides to goof off or take the easy way out, I want you to push him to do the right thing."

"Listen," I told the coach. "I'm a football player, not an exorcist. And that guy has got more deamons than Dante's inferno."

"Well that's the direction we're going" said the coach. "Do you think you can handle it?"

I thought a moment and decided, "Well, Coach, anything for the team. Count me in."

So here we are... and now Colt is moving into my old room too.

Oh well, time for dinner. Buffalo wings, my favorite!

Until next time,