The Running Backs: A breakdown

In Thursday morning's paper, we wrote about the Redskins' crowded backfield situation, with a particular eye on incumbent Clinton Portis and veteran free agent signees Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

There are many factors in how this situation will eventually work out, but one quote kind of jumped out.

"It's only one ball," Parker said. "So therefore, you know [there] probably can't be enough room for all of us. That's the game. That's the way it is. Therefore, you got to go out and compete... There ain't even enough balls in practice."

Let's look at a couple of other aspects of this.

Finances:

Portis is the only one of the three guaranteed to make significant money, with a base salary of $7.2 million, $6.4 million of which is guaranteed. First-year head coach Mike Shanahan, who has preached the value of creating competition at every position since he was hired in January, is a threat to get rid of anyone on the roster if he's not pleased with performance, but he has done nothing but praise Portis for his conditioning and attitude. Factor in the money the Redskins will pay him, and it's hard to imagine a scenario in which Portis doesn't make the team.

Johnson signed a three-year deal as a free agent and already has been paid $200,000 in bonuses. According to a source with knowledge of his contract, Johnson's base salary for 2010 is $800,000. The base rises to $1 million in 2011, with escalator clauses that could push it to $1.9 million. The base in 2012 is $1.5 million, and escalators again could push it to $1.9 million. In each year of the deal, Johnson could earn an additional $2.25 million in incentives - so he will basically be paid for performance.
Parker's deal is for just one year. He has received $100,000 in bonuses already, and his base salary for 2010 is $750,000. Like Johnson, he could earn $2.25 million in incentives this season.

There's almost no chance both Johnson and Parker could achieve all their performance-based incentives - unless the Redskins go on to set all sorts of team rushing records.

Performance:

One way to evaluate backs as they get older is by looking at how often they produce long gains, and whether that matches their production from earlier in their careers. The following numbers are compiled from Stats, Inc. and nfl.com.

Portis

Rushes of 10 or more yards from 2004-07 - 103, or 10.9 percent of his carries
Rushes of 10 or more yards from 2008-09 - 29, or 9.4 percent
Rushes of 20 or more yards from 2004-07 - 34, or 3.6 percent
Rushes of 20 or more yards from 2008-09 - 6, or 1.9 percent
Rushes of 40 or more yards from 2004-07 - 7
Rushes of 40 or more yards from 2008-09 - 0

Obviously, past performance doesn't automatically point to what will happen ahead. But to various degrees, the numbers would suggest that Portis, Johnson and Parker all have lost a bit of their break-away ability. There are, of course, other factors at work here - injuries, the state of offensive lines, opponents, etc. But each of these backs has had a lower percentage of 10-yard runs, 20-yard runs and 40-yard runs as time has worn on -- as could be expected. Can that trend reverse - for any of them -- in 2010 with the Redskins?

Competition:

In talking to Bobby Turner, the Redskins' new assistant head coach and running backs coach, both during spring organized team activities and again during training camp, he is consistent in his message. He doesn't care - at all - about what any of his backs have done prior to this training camp. They are being judged each day on what they do in that particular practice. Nothing more, nothing less.

"You guys, the media and the fans, everybody talks about the three backs," Turner said the other day. "I've got seven backs. I've got five halfbacks. And I coach them all the same."

This is a message, no doubt. Ryan Torain was a fifth-round pick by Shanahan and Turner in 2008, when they were with Denver, and though he missed most of that season with an elbow injury, was eventually put on injured reserve with a knee injury and was cut the following August, he has shown well during the early portion of this training camp. His career stats - two games, 15 rushes for 69 yards and a touchdown - are nothing compared to what Portis, Johnson and Parker have provided in their careers. But that doesn't matter.

"Ryan hasn't done anything that we didn't expect, so he's no surprise," Turner said. "I'm just saying, for the general public, everyone constantly talks about the other three backs. But I have five backs, and I'm saying to you guys, I coach all five the same. Whether it's Keiland Williams, who's a rookie, I coach them all the same.

"And that's why, if you look at our history, we've been very successful with a lot of different guys, whether they be sixth round, free agent. That's because of my style, my philosophy, Coach Shanahan and my understanding. The bottom line, we're going to play the best guy."

Who knows who that will be? We can pick apart past performances all we want, but this coaching staff, in this preseason, will only be picking apart what they see in front of them - regardless of who's doing it.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 5, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis , Larry Johnson , Running backs , Willie Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Goodell would intervene on Haynesworth if "I can play a helpful role"
Next: Albert Haynesworth does not take test because of sore knee

Comments

I'm ready for the first preseason game. CP won't play much, but the other six will.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain is a name to watch this preseason...if he can stay healthy and be productive, he's a lock for the 3rd RB spot and maybe even the #2 guy. Still think an injury to Portis will make him the talk of the 2nd half of the season...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...CP, LJ, WP, RTorain, Keiland Williams, Darrel Young. Isn't that 6 rb's? Have they already cut someone?

MSellers & DMo at FB.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow...I'm just catching up on this Snyder entry from the Bog and it sounds like he's finally starting to "get it":

Steinberg is right that it was kind of a dick move for him to take that shot at Zorn at the end, but other than that it's almost verbatim what Redskins fans have been dying to hear from him. Here's hoping he's FINALLY learned his lesson and that the Allen/Shanahan regime is exactly the right move for this organization.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

The skins running game will be really good this year,has anyone seen the running backs coach B.Turner?dude is a lil weird for me,he coaches in 90 degree heat wearing a winter suit,quite unique,look out for Parker to beat Portis.

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | August 5, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

fritz, for accounting purposes they tend to lump FBs in with the RBs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

" Factor in the money the Redskins will pay him, and it's hard to imagine a scenario in which Portis doesn't make the team."

This is bassackwards logic. The guaranteed money is a sunk cost. The question is who is the most expensive to keep. Perhaps we can use Jon Jansen last season as Exhibit A?

Strangely, with the numbers you've got here, CP is the *cheapest* back. He can only cost the team an extra $800,000. Parker and Johnson can both cost over $2.25 mil just with the incentives.

It looks like CP is on the team not b/c of the guaranteed cash, but the inability for him to cost the team as much as the other two. Nevermind that he might be the most talented of the group.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 5, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | August 5, 2010 6:47 AM

If you think Parker is going to top Portis on the depth chart, I've got some swamp in FL I'd like to sell you...

If anyone tops Portis on the depth chart, it's going to be the younger (and hopefully healthier) Ryan Torain. You heard it here first.

And say what you will about Bobby Turner...dude is one of the best position coaches in football. If he can do here what he did in Denver, we'll never have to worry about this running game being productive.

I know of another coach that wore long sleeves during the heat of training camp. His name is Mike Tomlin. Sometimes, there's a method to the madness...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

fritz, for accounting purposes they tend to lump FBs in with the RBs.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse
Brwonie, for accounting purposes, 6 rb's and 2 fb's equal 8, not 7, hence my question...did they cut someone?

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | August 5, 2010 6:47 AM

That's your idea of "weird"? I'll show you weird: Go back and read the posts from last night -- Risa_L, bleep-bleep, frak, scampbell, etc. Turner's plain vanilla here on RI.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 5, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 5, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse
Right on, worstseat. The salaries have been paid. Put on the pads, and select the best combination of rb's for the 53 man squad. Possibly keep KWilliams on the practice squad as a reserve.

I'm thinking CP, LJ, RT. Not sure MS will make the cut. They may prefer DMo, with Logan Paulson as backup fb/te.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 5, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | August 5, 2010 6:47 AM
------------------------------------------
He could come out wearing Victoria's Secret lingerie and a Carmen Miranda hat for all I care. If he coaches running backs like he has in the past, the Redskins running game will be very good. Someone on here was syaing yesterday that Shanahan runs a lot of plays with misdirection in mind. This is what makes the running game successful. Defenders launch themselves in one direction and then suddenly everything is moving in the other direction. This allows blockers to absolutely deck guys that are in transition and it allows a running back to see clear lanes that linebackers flowing to the play would normally clog. The offense and the coaching are perfect for a good running game. Just got to get that offensive line tuned up and it will be a big season for a few running backs on the roster.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Fritz, looking at the team roster on redskins.com we have 6 RBs, 1 FB (Sellers) and Dennis Morris is listed as a TE/FB. So I'm thinking he's not counting Morris in his numbers since he's probably going to meetings with the TEs. Just a guess on my part...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 6:34 AM

brown, if you think CP will get injured before the second half of the season, don't you feel the same way about McN ? Looking at both of their prior seasons indicate this could happen to both of them. Is this a gut feeling you have about CP ? I feel McN might be out before the end of the year myself.

Posted by: hessone | August 5, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Look, no matter how you slice it, the Redskins are flush with quality running backs. We're talking about guys playing third string who could be bonafide starters on most any other team. I think the real thing that makes or breaks the running game is that offensive line. I am getting a handle on the tempo of this front office and I am thinking there will be another offensive tackle in camp within the week.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Hess, not necessarily...I think McNabb will get a good level of protection here, at least much better than what JC got here. He won't be asked to do nearly as much here as he had to in Philly, so that alone will preserve him for longer, IMO. Either way, RBs ALWAYS absorb more contact than QBs just because of the nature of the position. The only way Portis isn't taking a hit at the end of a play is if he's running out of bounds or if he's running into the end zone. He tends to do neither with any real frequency.

I could be wrong...Portis (outside of the two years he ended up on IR) hasn't missed many games and he's back with Shanahan in the offense that fits him best. I just have a sneaking suspicion that with Shanahan's track record of getting the most out of those late-round talents, that Torain will play a much bigger role than most people think.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I'd be looking more at guards...if you upgrade the RG depth, you simultaneously address the RT spot too because then you can move Hicks there as the backup. Two birds with one stone...

I'm still wondering why they never gave Chester Pitts much of a look, I thought he could have been a good, low cost option.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Well like the man said,' FLAVE DE FLAVE IS THE ONE, PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBA 1!!!" Portis is more motivated and the motor looks good..Johnson can spell in short yardage and ball control situations and Parker provides the Ella Fitzgerald scat..Concerned about Torain's injury history and somebody's gotta play special teams...

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

For you lost souls who actually want Plaxico Burress anywhere near Ashburn...WON'T happen! At least not anytime soon...from PFT:

Plaxico's lawyer doesn't see a return to football soon
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2010 7:29 AM ET
Yesterday we noted that a source described a New York Post report saying Plaxico Burress could be released from prison in weeks as "bogus."

Today the New York Daily News quotes Burress lawyer Peter Frankel as saying no one should expect Burress playing in the NFL any time soon.

"There's a very wide range of possible outcomes here, and I do not want to get too ahead of myself," Frankel said. "I don't see [a return to football] happening in the short term. He still has a year left on his sentence, so this is still completely up to the discretion of the Department of Corrections and what they want to do."

Frankel added that Burress does want to return to the NFL once he's out of prison. But all indications are that Burress, who turns 33 next week, won't be available until 2011.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 7:48 AM
-----------------------------------------
You could cut it that way, too. I would lean more toward signing the tackle, though simply because it is a little more clean to sign a tackle and then cut a tackle - Heyer. It balances out the roster nicely and they don't have to worry about giving Hicks work in a different role. Besides, I am not totally sold on Hicks as a tackle. Obviously, the team wasn't either since they traded for Brown. I've heard Heyer has really been awful. At first, I thought they would hang onto him until a few preseason games, but after reading from multiple sources how he is lunging for guys, not moving his feet, not getting low enough - he's over there on the bench with Colt Brennan that's labeled "former prospects".

BTW, something I have noticed from Allen is that in his mind, any free agent worth their salt would have been in here already. That means, until the first cuts come, the only way you get a new offensive tackle on the roster is through trade. With what I have read about Lorenzo Alexander, I think it would be totally cool to trade Carter to a 4-3 team. If they want to throw Willie Parker into the trade, then that's great, too.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Torrain could be something special. He won the starting job in Denver till he got injured. His injury was his elbow, so his legs are still 100 percent. The new coaching staff in Denver cut Torrain after one season, so he is still young and fresh. He should put up some incredible rushing numbers in the preseason, because you will have someone who is potentially a number one back going against scrubs.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 5, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I get what you're saying RSH...I just think getting another guard helps more than getting a tackle who's just going to play tackle. I'm not sold on Hicks as a tackle either, but he's not worse than Heyer (hell, I think Skip Hicks is probably better than Heyer). I just don't want a scenario where Artis Hicks is anything more than a utility man providing depth to the RG/RT spots. Starting him should not be viewed in a positive light, IMO.

That's why I'm anxious for Rhino to step up his game...if he can man the RG spot and allow Hicks to be a flex player, that's a HUGE coup.

Hell, at this point I'd like to see us kick the tires on Kevin Mawae...if he's got anything left, you stick him in at center, move Rabach to RG, and send Hicks to the bench. Seems like a much better lineup than the one we have...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

REDSKIN CAMP DIARY, AUGUST 5, 2010

Dear Diary

I had the funniest experience last night. Was sitting around the fireplace at the old Xerox University last night following the afternoon walk-thoughs – and who should be sitting there but three of the Washington Redskins running backs, who were playing “Who Da Man?”

I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but since it is just you and me, Dear Diary, I’ll go ahead anyway.

So Larry Johnson opened up with a story about an away game at Denver, when he successfully bedded “not two, but three” Denver cheerleaders at the same time – and then went out the following day and set a career rushing record. He laughed about being mile high all weekend, and concluded by saying that’s probably the time that former Denver coach and current Washington coach Mike Shanahan realized that he was one “prime stud running back.”

Willie Parker then chimed in saying, “Well, yeah, you MAY be da man, but let me tell you something about overcoming adversity. “ He then went on to explain how despite sitting on the bench for much of his college career, he still managed with a 78 run to help lead the Pittsburgh Steelers to victory a Superbowl, and that’s when he figures that Shanahan really came to see what a valuable piece of the puzzle he could be for a pro football team.

Well, then Clinton Portis comes up with a story that beats all that. I wish I could tell it the way he said it, but frankly, I had a lot of trouble following his fractured syntax and ghetto slang –like keeping his pockets straight, telling fans how they could kiss his big black behind, and stuff. However, the long and short of it was this – despite being traded away from Dever by Shanahan, Portis was still able to convince the owner of a pro football franchise to pay him anywhere from $6-8 million a year, guaranteed money, and he himself didn’t have to do so much as practice, gain a single yard, or do much of anything but share cigars and swap lies with the owner whenever he visited.

About that time, however, who should come walking by but Fat Albert Haynesworth – at which time all three running backs chimed in, in unison, “Now dere’s da man.”

Until next time,

Your BFF!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 5, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Its a very bad sign that S Heyer is the backup at both tackle positions. That show that they only have faith in A.Hicks at the guard position right now. I hope that this changes soon because your not gonna find to many people that want Heyer playing on this team, much less possibly playing LT. Im thinking this team is going to have to pick up some more help at the tackle spot. There are just to many questions with a RT that missed all last year and a Rookie LT to not have a solid backup tackle option. I imagine any vets getting cut would find their way to Ashburn pretty quickly.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 5, 2010 8:10 AM

...and we'll have our scrub OL in as well. I'm pretty sure he banged up his knee as well in Denver.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | August 5, 2010 8:10 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | August 5, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

He also had problems staying healthy his senior year in college. he was a juco transfer so only played two years at ASU but was pretty prolific there. The guys a real wild card, a all around back that has great speed and dosent shy from contact, also has great hands leading the PAC 10 in yds per catch for a RB during his sundevil days. Thats no small feat as the pac10 always has speedy backs.
If this kid can stay healthy he can be a real force but so far staying healthy has been his biggest problem.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I imagine any vets getting cut would find their way to Ashburn pretty quickly.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 5, 2010 8:24 AM

Perhaps...seems to me that if they were concerned about the tackle spot they would have given Flozell a look. He probably still sees himself as a starter, but he's probably still a FA if the Steelers don't lose their RT for the season...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"..the numbers would suggest that Portis, Johnson and Parker all have lost a bit of their break-away ability."

Is 'break away speed' all that important in Shanny's running game?

I'd say, "mebbe yes, mebbe no."

An offense that features a lot of zone-blocking--and Shanny's historically has-- really needs a back who has excellent 'jump-cut' ability.

The back must see a crease in the blocking, and burst through it for a gain.

Multiple 4.3 gains over the course of a game that sustain long scoring drives are way more important than the every once and a while 40 yards+ scamper.

Our backs should split carries to where two guys rush for 1,700+ yards in an offense that passes for 3,400+.

Our backs should excel at blitz pickup and catching the occasional 'check down' pass: that can be a running play, too.

What'll save McNabb is using the running game as a crutch to lean on, not expecting him to don a Superman cape every Sunday like he was expected to in filthy Philly.

Using a two-headed, grind-it-out rushing attack is just as good as having A Petersen or C Johnson.

And it'll be a system that'll be a breakaway from the way we've run the ball in the past.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 5, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Moe. I'd go as far as to say the two back system is a better one simply because an injury to one guy doesn't kill your rushing attack. If we could get something going like the Panthers have with the Williams/Stewart tandem, I'd be thrilled...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 5, 2010 8:11 AM
-----------------------------------------
Agree with Hicks being the utility guy, just I think the utility guy is the backup to the backup at both positions instead of the backup at both positions. I say go for a tackle because a good tackle has more value than a good guard. BTW, Chester Pitts ended up in Seattle as a tackle? I thought he was a guard...

Having Rino step up solves a few problems. I'm pulling for him.

Don't share your viewpoint on Rabach being versatile enough to play guard. In a Madden world, Edwin Williams would have the job at center, now. Heard Rabach was getting man-handled by Kemo but Williams is a little less moveable. I am tired of seeing our center collapse when facing mammoth nose tackles. I want a guy who can hold his own, or at least redirect the nose to a nearby guard. However, I don't think we are in the Madden world, and Rabach brings more to the table than his ability to crumble under nose tackles. Shanahan likes the guy and I think he is viewing his offensive line as having enough stability issues without inducting another bit of uncertainty at center.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"One way to evaluate backs as they get older is by looking at how often they produce long gains"

Really? This is a flawed hypothesis for a obvious reason. Because it assumes that the variable (offensive line) remains the same, which in the skins organization has not happened, it assumes the offensive strategy and blocking objectives remain the same under each coach, no again. You pulled up all those numbers for nothing, you can't use principles of science to get the answers you want to find, you have some major uncontrollable variables here, so this is a waste of numbers crunching. This is why the NFL is fun to follow, the numbers are always misleading because of all the variables at play.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | August 5, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, how was Nawlin's? The Mrs and I will be going there next Thursday, the 12th of Aug. Any insight on what to and not to do?

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 5, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Look, no matter how you slice it, the Redskins are flush with quality running backs."

Possibly. Or we could be "flush" with has-beens and never-will-bes. I agree, though, that we'll bring in more help at o-tackle before the pre-season is over (possibly after the first round of cuts). According to some, Heyer and our other backup tackles haven't been looking too good.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 5, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree, this coaching unit doesn't care what name is at RB, the one who executes best will start. Also, based on the coaching history, if production slips, they make a change in a new york second.

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | August 5, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"r we could be "flush" with has-beens and never-will-bes."

I guess that would require a different sort of flushing.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 5, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse