Washington was 'bad situation' for Larry Johnson

On Wednesday, Coach Mike Shanahan seemed to leave the door cracked for a Larry Johnson return to Washington.

"Larry did a great job in the offseason. He gave us everything he had, and heck, there's still a chance that if somebody goes down that he could come back here," he said.

While that might be the case -- if something happened to Clinton Portis, the Redskins don't seem to have an every-down back on the roster -- the team's offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said that Washington was a "bad situation" for Johnson.

Johnson was released Tuesday. He had just five carries in two games.

"I think it was tough for Larry," Kyle Shanahan said. "I really like Larry. He can play. I think it was a bad situation for him. Larry's a guy who needed a little more carries to get going and stuff. Just in the role with our team, it was tough for him to get."

With or without Johnson, the team's running game needs improvement. Entering this Sunday's game at St. Louis ranked last in the NFL, the running game really has only one direction it can go.

"I see it getting better," Kyle Shanahan said. "It has to."

EVeryone at Redskins Park acknowledges there's room for improvement, but they're also confident they have the right pieces in place. The challenge, coaches say, is making sure everyone on offense is doing his job on each run play.

"We want to be better than where we're at," Kyle Shanahan said, "but we're not freaking out."

By Rick Maese  | September 24, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Larry Johnson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hard Hits Live webcast: LaVar Arrington on the Rams game
Next: Trent Williams practices, status for game still uncertain

Comments

Didn't we already see this? I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

first to say this blog sux now. lets bring de la campasnora back

Posted by: 428Maverick | September 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I gotta think we put up 40 in the dome against one of the worst team in the NFL. IF we do that, I'll believe this team is legit.

I can't take another 9-7 game....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | September 24, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

With Shanny here now...wouldn't be surprised if Simpson gets the nod this week!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't be silly. No way either K or M Shanahan are going to give significant offensive touches to a guy that is fresh off the street.

The real lesson here, for those paying attention to that sort of thing, is that those who come in, do their work, learn the play book and keep their mouths shut get a chance to move up once they prove they won't screw the pooch when their shot comes.

DT11 should learn from this. Of course, somebody will have to explain it to him, again, because heretofore he has been unable to understand these seemingly simple concepts.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

They continue to just print quotes from player/coach interviews. No real opinions or analysis. La Can't Reporta was a known Raven homer and Vinny hater, but at least he had his opinions and supported it with analysis. Sad times.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 24, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Trent Williams and Kareem Moore?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

A thread on the charges brought on Fireman Ed would be more entertaining than a thread about Larry Johnson who was given the ol' 'Axel Foley' three days ago.

I thought Larry Johnson had some game left.... The ARE like pirouet he pulled off against the Texans sealed his fate.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@PA - It's kool....I bet the house on Washington....We are ONLY 3.5 favs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Trent Williams and Kareem Moore?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

We'll get a canned, uninsightful quote any minute now.

Here's one.

"Trent is doing better than he did a couple of days ago. We'll see how he looks in the next day or two and go from there. Kareem is running around in practice, making plays like he did before surgery. We're looking forward to him playing on Sunday."

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Cry me a river! He was a cheap, inexpensive pickup...

move on for Christ sakes!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

RedskinsInsider "Trent Williams was able to practice and seems to think he can go on Sunday. Says that's ultimately Shanahan's decision" 32 minutes ago via mobile web

Looks like somebody at RI got the message yesterday.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"I see it getting better," Kyle Shanahan said. "It has to."

....that doesn't sound desperate at ALL... .~

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

john_keim "Trent williams said it's shanahan's decision, but thinks he'll be ready to go." #redskins 32 minutes ago via mobile web

john_keim Trent williams is hopeful, but he's still limping a little. #redskins half a minute ago via mobile web

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have only 2 players on this roster they need not ever let hit the free agent market..

1) Brian Orakpo
2) Trent Williams

...speaking of Orakpo...has there ever been a player to receive a new deal after only two seasons?

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Is this the week my fantasy sleeper breaks out?

Devin, I've got you in my sights. This could be your opportunity. Grab that ish and run with it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

john_keim Anthony bryant had a concussion in pract wed and is out. #redskins less than 20 seconds ago via mobile web

Rich_Campbell Shanahan: Trent might play. ...yeah, that's as much as we're gonna get from him. less than 20 seconds ago via twidroid

RedskinsInsider Shanahan says he'll decide Sunday whether Trent Williams can play less than a minute ago via mobile web

john_keim
Shanahan: trent was limited. #redskins 1 minute ago via mobile web

Rich_Campbell
He ran around a bit today. RT ryanohalloran Trent Williams expects to play. "I can be effective." 1 minute ago via twidroid

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

RedskinsInsider Shanahan won't say who starts at left guard. Says competition is very close there less than a minute ago via mobile web

RedskinsInsider With Bryant out, Shanahan won't say that Haynesworth will play. Says they could go with 5 DL 2 minutes ago via mobile web

RedskinsInsider Shanahan says Kareem Moore had heck of a week of practice half a minute ago via mobile web

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

psp, its funny that after all my (deserved) DT bashing, I also picked him up this week. The upside is so tantalizing, which is what makes his lack of professionalism so damn frustrating.

He'll stay on my bench until he proves he can get it done. Guess I've been paying attention to Shanahan.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I wish Keim would start a Redskins blog!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

CJ2K only had two seasons, right? Or was it 3?

Posted by: rupertpupkin | September 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@PA - It's kool....I bet the house on Washington....We are ONLY 3.5 favs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 24, 2010 1:25 PM

Haha...thanks 4th...I don't know how to make ANY of those marks...can I have a blanket exemption that everything I say is sarcastic or toungue in cheek? (see Simpson starting this week above)

Hope they cover for you...hate making those bets with the skins...3 point win and you're pissed.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Curious to know who you dropped to make room for DT? And who is out there that you passed on because of your kool-aid laced optimism?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

This team has my full support...You know why????

....I remember the "swinging gate" play.
....I remember the loss to the Chiefs and
the Rams
....I remember the "Portis rules"
....I remember we gave a 5th rounder for
TJ Duckett
....I remember Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett
....I remember Antwan Randle-El
....I remember Mark Brunell and Gibbs
playing him even though he knew he was
hurt
.... I remember OSAKA!!!!
.... I remember Vinny Cerrato (Jackazz!)

This team is headed in the right direction...yes..we have holes and have not put it all together but I'm willing to be patient!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

psps/SFIK How many teams are in your league that you can spare a roster spot for DT?

DT couldn't get off of the bench on my team and I have all #2 receivers.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope they sit Silverback. I don't want to loose him. Remember that problem w/ Samules from the git-go. In a way, you could look at Samules being a liability in that he was out almost half of every season... or at least it seemed that way.

I remember we played Moss on an injured hammy and lost him for most of a season, too.

Our bench did pretty good in pre-season. Now's the time to get 'em reps.

If we play smart, we'll still win. If we take stupid chances (missing a covered TD bomb when all we needed was 4 yards) then will have deserved to loose anyway.

Which brings me to another point. Y'know, last season I made a lot of noise about how loosing games wouldn't bother me if we played well. There's a corallary to that (even if I can't spell it...).

Even if we had won last week, the play calling made it a lot closer than it had to be. I love having great players, but I love having solid gameplay & a victory more.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Mental mistakes have been the thing that has cost the Redskins the most in this young season.

1. Procedure against Cowboys(OL snap count blown).
2. Procedure against Texans(OL snap count blown).
3. LJ out of bounds against Cowboys.
4. LJ loop de loop against Texans.
5. Davis failed block (no effort) against Texans.

These five plays, all mental errors, made the end of both games as close as they were.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Well I don't have DT in my money league. That I can't afford. I did pick him up in the RI league, which was a team that was autodrafted in the first place.

He's still a sleeper though. Not enough at this point to have him on my bench, but I can definitely see him flourishing in this passing game by season's end.

Posted by: psps23 | September 24, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 24, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

First of all, i got your personal kool aid dispenser swingin'.

Second, I dropped mike tolbert. Any ham and egger who wasn't going to see my starting roster would have done.
DT11 is a homerun shot. I'm sitting on a fastball. If i get the change up or the slider in the dirt, i lay off and wait for the next pitch.

Thanks for your interest. Azz hat.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This team has my full support...You know why????

....I remember the "swinging gate" play.
....I remember the loss to the Chiefs and
the Rams
....I remember the "Portis rules"
....I remember we gave a 5th rounder for
TJ Duckett
....I remember Brandon Lloyd and TJ Duckett
....I remember Antwan Randle-El
....I remember Mark Brunell and Gibbs
playing him even though he knew he was
hurt
.... I remember OSAKA!!!!
.... I remember Vinny Cerrato (Jackazz!)

Posted by: rickyroge

Who's showing impatience? It isn't like 'skins fans were living under rocks through all those things you mentioned. WE REMEMBER TOO!

But still, that doesn't give a reason to sit back in the chaise sipping on dark cherry kool-aid (closest to burgundy) with my gold stunna shades, fronting like everything is everything. Yeah the team has my support like it always has, but not one person on decision is above criticism on this team. Not a one. Why?

Because they haven't done or won a damn thing yet. Winning, meaningful winning shuts the critics up.

So it's in the 'Skins best interest to beat the dog piss out of the Rams Sunday. I'm talkin' a 38-13 ass whopping. If they pull some 13-9 bullsh*t performance expect some people to be discontent with it -- even though it is a win. You do remember what happened the last time they beat the Rams, don't you?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

DT couldn't get off of the bench on my team and I have all #2 receivers.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

12 team league. DT is a homerun... or more likely a strike out. We are talking the 16th roster spot here. Another player in the league picked up K Williams for his bench. At this point in the season, forward looking managers are combing rosters for guys who haven't produced anything, but have at least a small chance to suddenly emerge. I think its fair to say that DT11 is in that group.

AA is hurt this week. DT may get 3-6 balls thrown his way. We'll see. IF, yes IF, one is a TD, suddenly DT may take on trade value for some guy who is desperate. DT also has value that award individual players for return yardage.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 24, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

bring back Fast Willie - should have kept Parker on the final roster over LJ anyway

Posted by: coparker5 | September 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Something is wrong--Jason Campbell wasn't mentioned.

Posted by: djorl | September 24, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse