LaVar Arrington's Motorcycle Accident (UPDATED 6th TIME)

(so much of this is new now, I give up telling you where it is)

According to Arrington's agent, Carl Poston, Arrington suffered a broken arm, three broken bones in his leg and no life-threatening injuries in a motorcycle accident today. he is in PG Hospital Center and is expected to be kept overnight for observation.

"He's stable, he's talking, he's going to be okay," Poston said from his cell phone after speaking to family members by Arrington's side in Prince George's Hospital Center. "But he's not going to playing football for while. He's in with his family, but I don't know exactly what happened with the accident. The good thing is he's going to be fine. But it's going to take him some time to heal."

According to police, Arrington was cited for failure to have a motorcyle lisence. He was wearing a helmet, which is required my Maryland law. He lost control of the vehicle on a curve, which led to the accident.

Arrington, who bought his way out of his contract with the Redskins, ruptured his Achilles early last season with the NY Giants and has been recovering since. Numerous NFL players believe Arrington had been seriously considering retirement and his agent had said that Arrington would not have be ready to pass an NFL physical until August or so.

NEW STUFF:
Poston said he was unsure if the leg hurt in the accident is the same one Arrington's injured in September, but obviously was hoping not. He believes Arrington was leaning towards trying to make a comeback, but Carl's brother, Kevin, who also represents LaVar, told me several times this offseason that he could not rule out retirement.

LaVar is opening a sports bar in PG County and had lots of other interests. This crash likely effectively ends his playing career. He has not been fully healthy since 2003.

A lot of people who know LaVar well were unaware he even had a motorcycle, including Poston.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 18, 2007; 2:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: London's Calling
Next: Who Is The "Realist" Redskin Of Them All?

Comments

Major bummer, I hope it's not serious. Good luck LaVar! Your fans are pulling for you!

Posted by: P Diddy | June 18, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the bad news just keeps on coming, huh? I sure hope LaVar is okay. He wasn't the greatest Redskin, but he was a fascinating person to observe, and he deserves a long and healthy life. We 'Skins fans are pulling for you, LaVar!

Posted by: Joe The Fan | June 18, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Early reports mentioned head trauma. That appears to have been inaccurate.

Posted by: Cindy | June 18, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

LaVar cant seem to catch a break.. Hopefully he invested the NFL money wisely.

Bad JuJu all around I guess

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | June 18, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah best of luck to LeVar. I hope there is no head injuries.

Posted by: jm220 | June 18, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, my thoughts and prayers for him. Horrible news, just horrible. Hoping for a full, and speedy recovery.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | June 18, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Poor Lavar! If it wasn't for bad luck he would have no luck at all.....

Wishing the best for him....

Posted by: Lisa | June 18, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Give us an update on the RI event in the Big Apple. We'll be awake on the west coast (probably cocktail hour).

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Terrible news. I really hope there is no head trauma like some have reported. All the best to LaVar.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 18, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Speedy recovery LaVar.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Blessings to Lavar and his family.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I used to, and to some extent still do, love LA. Bad news.

It seems ever since he signed off for the NFL to license his name and number he has been hit by bad luck.

I bought said jersey the night before it was officially released by Redskins for sale.

On Ebay a bunch showed up. I won an auction at $100... and I just had a feeling that the flood of jerseys were employees of the skins store or the skins themselves making a quick buck.

And I knew that it was because he signed the release. And the next day I got the email.

I just couldnt pass up the opportunity to get one that looked so legit (amongst the horrid knock-offs).

Posted by: Zebra | June 18, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He was on the Doc Walker show last week. Sounded excited about a big sports bar that he's going to be opening at the place where the old Cap Center was (can't remember what it's called now)

Posted by: 4-12 | June 18, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

He was always one of my favorite Redskins. Get well soon, LaVar.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | June 18, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I will always love Lavar....

Get well bro!

Posted by: chris Larry | June 18, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sad. My heart goes out to our former capadre turned enemy on the field!

4-12 - It's called the Capital Centre Blvd (I should know since it is driving up my property value!)....

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I see LaVar taking a year or two off before he ever contemplates getting back on the field again.

PG Hospital is the worse hospital they could have taken him to. They are the WORST. Made my daughter (a baby mind you) wait like 4-5 hours in the emergency room before anybody saw her. Ridiculous.

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Again, early reports of head trauma appear to be unfounded.

Posted by: Cindy | June 18, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep our fingers crossed on that then.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That's terrible. LA was a ray of sunshine during some dark years; best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: D7 | June 18, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hope the best for LaVar. Always a favorite. Really glad it's 'just' broken bones and hopefully nothing worse.

As a player he was so maddeningly inconsistent, not a bust but definitely did not live up to the 'phenom' label, but as has been noted a zillion times up here he was the face of the franchise AND the only guy on our D who could really blow things up, the only guy who could make those eye-popping plays. And he ended Troy-Boy's career.

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 18, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nate, do you go to 8th Avenue by any chance?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

My office is located on 8th Ave, 'Coat. Why do you ask?

By the way, I can lean out of my cubicle into the aisle and see Lady Liberty standing out in the harbor. How cool is that? I love this city.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 18, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit that is waaaaay cool. I worked in Sydney for a couple of weeks with a view of the harbour from my office but it was sadly only temporary.

Looking out of my office window now I can see my back garden in Ashburn, but not Redskins park, that's a couple of miles down the road from here. I really should go there sometime just to boo them on - like some old "super dave osborne" stunt! :-)

I thought I saw your name on a networking site and I wanted to be sure it was you without coming across all blog-stalkerish. I'm still not sure of some elements of netiquette here so I try to err on the side of caution. Anyway, congrats on the new job!

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Some stats from the NYC, by the way:

- about 10,000 sun dresses, somehow even shorter and more gauzy than when I was here a month ago
- 1 curly-W Nats hat
- 1 Nats tee shirt
- 83 degrees (F) in my hotel room when I checked in this morning
- 1 clown wearing ugly plaid shorts.

Stop the madness, Jasno! Can the plaid shorts!

- 1 more gratuitous post up here

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 18, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Cheyenne, Can't catch a break, that's irony. I've never had any bad feelings toward #56. Hope he gets well

Posted by: bornskinsfan | June 18, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: LouisTheRogue | June 18, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, feel free to hit me off the blog anytime. You've piqued my curiousity on this Eighth Ave thing.

nateinthepdx at gmail dot com

Obviously making connections via the blog isn't outside my comfort zone. I am a dork.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 18, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

NFL live on espn did a segment on the Skins today. Same kinda stuff about the progress of JC. Positive comments by nuthugger Cooley, Jansen and Portis.

On Lavar, he is done. 3 broken bones in his leg so he won't be playing this year. He hasn't been healthy and on the field in so long and now 07 is out of the mix. Truly sad.

Posted by: cdubb | June 18, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What logo do you think the Nats would have picked if dubya hadn't been president at the time? Causality or coincidence? You decide.

83F in the room! You must really be looking forward to July and August then... Although there will still be the compensating gauziness of it all.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Speakin of Dubya,
I heard Bud Selig is actively campaigning for him to take over as commissioner when he resigns. No BS

Posted by: bornskinsfan | June 18, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck lavar. Glad to hear hes OK. redskins fans still have love for you, trust me

Posted by: supershrav | June 18, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't he a part-owner in the Rangers before? I'd rather he was that than president! Okay, politics off.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Okay Nate, you have been pung.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't look like we'll be able to work at Lavar's bar.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 18, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Boy, even Theisman doesn;t like you guys!

Posted by: Redcoat | June 18, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Notice how Burgundy and Gold is Still represented!

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

WHAT
Washington's own LaVar Arrington is opening The Sideline, Prince George's County's first
upscale sports bar.
We're seeking to hire the areas most beautiful and talented female waitresses, hostesses and bartenders. If you're over 21, physically fit, attractive and outgoing with lots of personality then The Sideline is looking for you!

DETAILS
Please bring a driver's license, a recent photograph and your resume. Restaurant experience is not required, but it is a plus.
All employees will be required to complete two weeks of intensive training to be fully prepared to work at The Sideline.

BENEFITS
We are pleased to offer medical and dental benefits to all our employees.

REQUIRED UNIFORM
The Sideline uniform will consist of a shortsleeve, cheerleader style crop top, matching fitted pants and white, low-top athletic sneakers.

Posted by: 4th via What the LaVar's Sports Bar is looking for | June 18, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there just for the fitted pants (at the bar that is, not working there)!

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nate, Did you move to NYC or just visiting on a new work thing? Either way, good to have some fellow Skins fans in the city...

Posted by: Goldenfried | June 18, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to show up in drag, fat and wasted, not get hired, and get me a lawsuit for discrimination!

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in the Washington, D.C., area, the player's agent told ESPN.com on Monday.

Carl Poston said it was his understanding that Arrington suffered a broken bone in his arm, three broken bones in his leg, cuts and bruises. The injuries do not appear to be life-threatening. He is recovering at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Arrington, a former Pro Bowl linebacker for the Washington Redskins, is not currently under contract to any team. The 28-year-old Arrington is still rehabilitating an Achilles tendon tear that cut short his 2006 season with the New York Giants.

Senior writer Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Lavar. Still got your number 56 jersey.

Posted by: Badger | June 18, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I always liked LaVar-- I wish that he could've stayed around in a limited role (but I guess the $$$ hurt those chances).

Maybe there is a second tour of duty with the Skins-- 28 is the new 18 there!

Much love to LaVar and his family. I hope to see him in an Eastern's commercial again in the near future.

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe there is a second tour of duty with the Skins in his future-- 28 is the new 18 there!

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Eastern's commercials-- I don't remember this being answered yesterday-- is there any way to see them online through youtube or another source?

(DD, are you digging the split posts?)

lata, babilous!

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

FYI-

Babilou is pronounced "babe-ah-loo."
In case it catches on.

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Plaid Cooley shorts for all the girls.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Eastern Motors does motorcycle deals.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

4th,

On that ESPN article...what trash!
They're clueless. Yeah we got mentioned, but only because JT was commenting. The evaluations are always based on last years record.

The NFC East will rise this year, primarily because of the Skins. The Division will be as good as any other NFC division. The Giants will be inconsistent. Philadelphia will be good, but not great. Washington and Philadelphia will wind up on top, then Dallas and the Giants.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree. That's fine. I like being dogged by the media!

What will they say when we make it to the super bo...

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I couldn't let this pass before I leave.

What kind of resume do you need to work at LaVar's Bar?? I would think your resume is your body, no??

Maybe your resume is a clip of Hip Hop videos you were bouncing in? A video of you working a pole? A letter from Smooot saying that you worked on his cruise line before?

What?

Posted by: 4th | June 18, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Right On!
HAIL!

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember being indoctrinated to sing "Hail to the Redskins" while I was in elementary school that year we went to the Superbowl. Does anyone's kids have to learn it nowadays when the seasons have been a bit rough?

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I suppose it's as good as any fight song.
(if the Skins were not my team, I'd pass)

I'd bet HTTR is a bandwagonny kind of thing reserved for when there is something to be happy about.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

...while I was in elementary school that year we went to the Superbowl...

TDawg- You're selling our beloved 'Skins short. Was that VII, XVII, XXII, or XXVI. (Notice I left out XVIII, as that actually never happened!)

Posted by: 4-12 | June 18, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, 4-12-- I guess in my mind I knew that it was in '92.

I'm serious-- NFC East: Skins will be fighting it out for tops and will definitely have tops if McCrapp doesn't stay healthy. I see playoff potential here, but then again, I say that every summer.

Let's hope, babilou!

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | June 18, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

LaVar will always be my standard of a DC-OLB. I would take em back on the skins in a minute. I hope that he does recover okay, and finds a team to work with, I would hope us, the Pits or Baltimore.

Posted by: 35332 | June 18, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

What I don't understand is this accident occurred at 1:00. It's now five hours later and all the reporting on Arrington's condition that I've seen is very vague and based on telephone conversations with the man's agent. Why doesn't a reporter go to the hospital and find out what bones were broken and how likely the man is to recover?

Posted by: KK | June 18, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

KK, HIPPA makes it much tougher to get information on patients...You could read this, but it would make your hair hurt:

Posted by: Cindy | June 18, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

On Redskins.com they had a review of standouts during mini-camp. Two names that make the list, which have not gone up here on RI, worth paying attention too. Alex Buzbee, DE- out of Georgetown and WR Mike Espy. Both positions are ones where we have holes, and 2 young finds, neither of whom we drafted would be great diamond in the sand. If either of them make the game day roster that would be a success. I remember Espy was getting a lot of rave reviews durring last pre-season.

Posted by: 35332 | June 18, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

wow good support for arrington i hope he sticks around and becomes a great redskins supporter

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Lavar would be best served to never do anything that involved putting on a helmet anymore.

Posted by: RedskinsDave | June 18, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

best thoughts for #56.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 18, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

what's the cap hit if Espy beats out Braindead Lloyd and BL gets cut?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 18, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

where is SMACK? what have you coked up hamsters done wif' him?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 18, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Snnniiiifffff....ahhhhhhh.

SMACK? SMACK who?

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

That's too bad. Hope Lavar gets well soon

Posted by: dddddd | June 18, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? We are in rebuilding mode for the next season IMHO, play the best players, worry about the cap hit later.

Posted by: 35332 | June 18, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, play the best.
Rebuilding or not.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Coming off of a 4-11 season, what kind of record should we be happy with?

Any thoughts on this, just to get the post count up?

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

KK- he has privacy rights. the hospital isn't releasing any info and the family is releasing what they want to release via the agent.
it ain't rocket science.
would you like a report busting into your room in the ICU next time you or a family member got admitted?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 18, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

it ain't rocket science.
would you like a reporter busting into your room in the ICU next time you or a family member got admitted?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 18, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

it ain't rocket science.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | June 18, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

get better quick #57!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,
Nice work, I've really enjoyed the last couple of posts.

Everyone is all sweetness and light this time of year. I guess there are concerns about brickhands. Any other concerns? How about the kicking game?

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

uhhh, huhhuhhuhhuh,perhaps the d-line, huhhuhhuhhuhhuh.

Posted by: Bevis | June 18, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Bevis,
The D-line will do much better(above average). The blog has obsessed over this one for months and months.

Posted by: Stumped | June 18, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

stumped? seriously? are you kidding?

Posted by: dealer | June 18, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Is Stumped Phillip Daniels' handle?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

How easily people forget, the skins were 5-11 last year. By most standards, thats not good. Haven't done to much other than Fletcher to really improve, lots of what ifs and chicken butts.

Posted by: Butthead | June 18, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Butthead,

Well, I don't think anyone who posts here has forgotten the 5-11 record last year. Peter King said in his column today that this time of year it looks like every team will got 16-0, so it follows that the Redskins will go 16-0, although some of the pessimists among us think we may lose to New England.

Jason, Cindy,

Thanks for explaining that, in triplicate no less. Who says that carbon paper is dead?

Posted by: KK | June 18, 2007 8:56 PM | Report abuse

get better quick #57!

Posted by: | June 18, 2007 08:09 PM

Did something happen to Ken Harvey too?

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 18, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Nope, I think ol' anon pressed the wrong button, cload.

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Btw, any update on whether or not LaRon's got his manhood back in order?

Posted by: TDawg | June 18, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

get better quick #57!

Posted by: | June 18, 2007 08:09 PM

Did something happen to Ken Harvey too?

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 18, 2007 09:03 PM

i was just hoping nothing happened to warrick holdman. he is awesome.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

They said Laron swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. That may be a lot, but it may be a little -- where did he start? Grape, lime, clementine, orange? It's all relative.

Posted by: KK | June 18, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Who is this "Holdman" character? The only #57 I can remember from the last ten years is Harvey.

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 18, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

rich milot

Posted by: Anonymous | June 18, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"So here's what we have learned. Landry's testicles swelled up so much, they were nearly grapefruit-sized"

So, Doc, what do you think caused the shrinkage?

Posted by: Laron | June 18, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, looks like the lack of new yawkers has sucked the wind out of the blog.
S O S

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 19, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

get better quick #70!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Good luck LaVar, even though, I seem to recall, you ended Troy Aikman's career.

Been in Vegas, great time. Best part, we get to the airport yesterday at 10am, and miss a 12:15 flight. Note to self, go to the bar that is BEYOND the security checkpoint. And don't double down against an Ace.

MGM Grand is probably the best casino for free drinks, loose machines, and overall class. At the new joints like Wynn, a G&T the size of my pinkie is $12, even if you're throwing them cash while the dealer (not you, dealer) pulls 21 4-8-3-6 style.

Saw Bill Maher, great, Roger Waters, awesome, and the semi nude Cirque called Zumanity, which was just awful.

Thanks for asking, Redskin Willie.

Posted by: SMACK | June 19, 2007 1:30 AM | Report abuse

yo b^..tches just getting home wasted from Nate, buck town, JM220, CHRIS larry meet-up in NY freakin city..... had way too many jamisons....lots of stories...cant share any witn ypu..suffice it to say this maerried lard ass got the miOst interest from the ladies...OKRA B&..TCHES
!

Posted by: ch | June 19, 2007 1:50 AM | Report abuse

yer more than welcome SMACK i missed ya

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Crickets | June 19, 2007 6:07 AM | Report abuse

One good turn leads to another, or whatever that old dumb saying is:

Posted by: The Crickets | June 19, 2007 6:09 AM | Report abuse

F Chris Larry

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Warning: This may be slightly over the line so be forewarned. Still, it has a parallel theme to some of the regular discussions here.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 19, 2007 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Crickets | June 19, 2007 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Lavar! Get well soon!

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | June 19, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He's trying to get well enough to play football again and he decides to ride a motorcycle???

Posted by: What was he thinking??? | June 19, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey LaVar...please be careful out there and also keep us updated with the opening of that sports bar.

You will surly have a faithful customer. Born & raised in teh PG area but living in Baltimore, just know that Ray Lewis and his little sports place NEVER has seen my face and will NEVER get my money!!! So you need to hurry up get better and be that business man and get things rolling!!!

Posted by: Bootsie!!! | July 2, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse