LaVar Not Going Home This Week

Former Redskin linebacker LaVar Arrington will remain at Prince George's Hospital Center at least through the remainder of this week as a precaution following his motorcycle accident Monday, according to his lawyer, Rosalyn Pugh. Arrington already has one surgical procedure to repair his fractured forearm, Pugh said, and has some deep lacerations which require care as well.

Concern over infection is the primary reason why Arrington remains in the hospital, she said.

"They want to monitor him and continue to see how he heals," Pugh said Thursday after visiting with Arrington again. "They want to be very careful to prevent against infection, but he's really doing well."

Pugh said that Arrington's forearm is the source of considerable pain, although the former Pro Bowler is not complaining and is eager to get back in public with his fans. Arrington suffered no head injuries she said, did not dislodge any teeth and "is smiling maybe more than ever," Pugh said.

He will soon do a radio interview so that fans can hear his voice to allay any concerns some have about how severe his injuries may actually be, Pugh said. Arrington is also urging fans to make a donation to his charitable fund - The Keys To Life Foundation - in lieu of flowers, and hopes to have a website up soon where he can interact with them.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 21, 2007; 4:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar vs. The Boz???
Next: Pre-Vacation Odds and Ends

Comments

'smiling maybe more than ever'

Man, these are some good pain meds.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear he's doing so well. He's probably going out of his mind sitting in the hospital though.

Posted by: Dawson | June 21, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

ha, nobody can say 1st..what is the point of that anyway?

Posted by: thecoach | June 21, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Not to make light... really glad LaVar is doing well.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

thecoach, it was a complete accident that I was first. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. But I got my pain meds joke in, which was my prime objective. The fact that I trumped all the 'first' chooches was just gravy.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

6th!!!!!

Man, you know it's a really bad day when you get out-chooched by Barney Fife.

Posted by: Should have Been 1st | June 21, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I already heard him on 93.9 ealrier today trying to promote his new club/bar....

Posted by: 4th | June 21, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

For all of you DLine Hatters:

In response to a reporter's question about the perception of the Redskins' defensive line as a weakness, Golston said: "I guess we can take that as a challenge for us to play our hearts out, like we do every Sunday.

"I know that we don't want that on us, but if that [motivation] is what it takes for us to win football games, then we have a group of guys willing to take on that challenge."

"I'm not comfortable enough to think that I've arrived," he said. "I just got here. I'm just trying to get better to win football games for this team and just try to become a better overall football player.

"I am a lot more confident in what I'm doing and what the coaches expect, but I don't want to get too confident because once that happens, then you slack off in things you work to improve on.

"I have a long way to go and as a defense we try to come out and get better everyday. We just work hard and people are going to say what they want to say, but only we can control what happens on the field. Like I said we just try get better every day and win football games on Sunday."

Posted by: 4th | June 21, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | June 21, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Pain meds rule! Unless you take them and start halucinating snakes and nurses chasing you with 10 inch needles.....

Posted by: chris larry | June 21, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"The Keys to Life Foundation" motto:

Lose the keys to the motorcycle, and live a lot longer.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear he is in good spirits. Has he announced his retirement or is it pretty much implied. He is not that old.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | June 21, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

The Keys to Life Foundation?

sound like some anti abortion wacko organization headed by Tom DeLay :)

Posted by: Thor | June 21, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Who had better pain meds Boz or LaVar?

Seriously, I'm glad to hear about the LaVar smile. That smile is entirely engaging. LaVar, your best revenge is the affection the town feels for you.

On Judgement Day, nobody is going to ask you how many plays you made or how many $billions you have. The only question is, "How much love did you spread around?" You're a winner, LaVar.

Posted by: Neil in Durango | June 21, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

You know what I think the worst thing is, you hear the way Grilliams talks about how he plans on using M.Washington and Rocky this year, sounds like exactly what they should've done with LaVar, design the game plan to take advantage of their players specific skill sets.

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Hear, hear, Neil.

Hear, hear, kost.

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

So 1 August is the blog's first birthday, if the Archive is complete.

Hard to believe it started with Spandex.

Posted by: Stumped | June 21, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Tell me, is there any possible scenario, or precedent in which an owner can be ousted?

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the owner of the LA Kings (hockey) go to jail or something and have to sell the team? That's about the only thing I can think of.

What did you have in mind, kost? Is there an owner of a professional franchise whom you'd like to see ousted? Boy, that's out of left field!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, I'm normally in a Fantasy Football comp on NFL.com with a few mates, but obviously since I only know 3-4 people over here that follow the NFL, I struggle to fill an entire league. If any of you guys are interested in being shamed by a bunch of Aussies, let me know!

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

It's just that over here, teams don't have owners, so if the President or CEO aren't performing up to standard they can be replaced.

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Kost, how much? And how do I get it to you? Unless you're scared of being shamed by a Brit of course....

Posted by: Redcoat | June 21, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The difference between Marcus/Rocky and LaVar is the first two can drop back into coverage *and* rush.

LaVar can only just rush because of his unwillingness to play coverage.

So the other two are more versatile, leaving the offenses guessing what they're doing, which is the whole point, whereas LaVar is a one trick pony and predictable.

That's why Williams is doing what he's doing with McIntosh and Washington and not LaVar.

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | June 21, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Kost, I'm in. I'm popular in leagues because I like to draft players from the Fish. Of course if you wanted a Skins Fan only league I can understand that. And I already whooped everyone in March Madness...

Wouldn't that time difference of yours be a disadvantage?

Posted by: SMACK | June 21, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Technically, the first post was made July 31st, but it didn't go live. We had to repost on Aug. 1. So we get what could be a critical 24 more hours to reach 100k.

Posted by: cindy | June 21, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

And how many shy of 100k are we now Cindy?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 21, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat - The NFL.com one is free, I wouldn't want to charge you to get beaten! Haha

If you're interested send an email to kost52@hotmail.com and I'll give you the details.

SMACK - I normally do an automated draft to make it easier on us, so time difference isn't too bad!

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Something like 39.7K Aikman career enders from 100K. Thanks for your support.

Posted by: YouTube | June 21, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I'll email anon. Are you going to join schmuck, sorry SMACK?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 21, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

kost, i think we did this last year on yahoo.
is nfl.com better than yahoo? the reason we chose yahoo was because everyone and their maama already has a yahoo id.

Posted by: dealer | June 21, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually kost, what I was thinking is that when we here on East Coast time were hearing the final news on injuries and such, it might be sleepy/passed out time for you. Or for things like waiver wire/injury pickups.

Yeah yeah, what a geek.

Posted by: SMACK | June 21, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I emailed you Kost, hope I make the team - the trash talking should be good for a few hundred paces towards 100k if nothing else!

And as you will see from my posts I'll be easy meat in the league as I know NOTHING about football. :-)

Posted by: Redcoat | June 21, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

dealer - Not sure, I've only ever played the NFL.com one. I love these things, I'm playing in four different Aussie Rules comps at the moment.

SMACK - You're right, but there's not too much we can do about it. So it's an added advantage to you guys! Another reason not to lose to Aussies! hahaha

We also have one for the EPL, I've never played it so I don't know how it works, but I'm going to give it a go next season, when it starts up I'll give it a mention and see if anyone's interested.

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Has deputy Fife arrived for the night shift?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 21, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, didn't receive an email? I got one from SMACK, but not you?

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Did you hear anything about Dan Snyder talking to Bill Cowher? Is there any substance to this?

Posted by: bienbo | June 21, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

We play the fantasy football for money for NOLA right? $100 per person?

Posted by: SMACK | June 21, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

It seems like the type of thing The Dan would do, behind his coaches backs. But even though I wouldn't mind him as Joe's replacement, I can't see it happening simply because he want's full control, and Danny boy won't give it to him.

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

WHo won the Yahoo one last season?

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Lisa won it last year, right?

Posted by: SMACK | June 21, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Were you talking to me in regards to the $100?

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah kost what would we play for? Not ourselves. It should go to charity, right?

Posted by: SMACK | June 21, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

jason, haven't we had enough lavar updates? the guy's going to be okay -- okay story's over. who really cares about a former redskin that signed with a divisional rival just so he could play against us twice a year (and then got hurt). he's a has-been and just another memory.

let's get onto some more important news out of the park and give this minor news story a rest, please.

Posted by: vegas skins fan | June 21, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Fife here.

I'm in for kost's fantasy f-ball league. Sent you a mail, koster.

SMACK, brilliant charity tie-in idea. Maybe a sliding scale where everybody promises to donate to NOLA charity, with progressively higher donation amounts for worse finishing positions? Maybe the winner has to donate no amount himself, but gets to pick the charity?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JustMe | June 21, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 21, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I like the charity idea, not sure how well it'll go down with my Aussie mates though, they're barely NFL fans as it is, if it's going to cost them I'm not sure if they'll be so keen. But who knows I'll run it by them.

I like the sliding scale idea too, that way the winner is rewarded by more than just bragging rights.

Posted by: kost52 | June 21, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, kost, tell your Aussie mates they can make their donations in AUSD. That's a discount right off the top.

And per your trash-talking, at least one of you Aussies will win the league (no donation required) and the rest will take the remaining top places (smallest donations).

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 22, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Or do I have it backwards, and the AUD is worth less than the USD? I have trouble with these conversion things.

I am terrible at fantasy sports, which should provide incentive for your mates. I am what the pros refer to as a 'pigeon.'

And I am an idiot, as has been well-documented up here.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 22, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Aussie dollar is worth around .84 USD I think.

If they aren't interested, I suppose I can start another league for us RI peeps, and do the charity idea in that??

Posted by: kost52 | June 22, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, kost, just lie to us and say that your shiftless mates are going to pony up charity donations, all right? That will make it easier on everyone's conscience.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 22, 2007 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Well one of my mates has given it a thumbs up! So I geuss maybe my mates aren't as tight as I thought! haha

Posted by: kost52 | June 22, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Geuss? See what happens when you read too much of JLC's work!

Posted by: kost52 | June 22, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I know not everyone up here is a uniform maven, but two interesting things to note.

1. Tonight the Caps unveiled their new unis, returning to the red, white and blue. Hail!

2. Slate has a fantastic, funny slideshow/commentary on the dubious history of the US national team's uniforms:

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 22, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

kost, any interest in doing a 'live' draft instead of an automatic draft? I'm sure we could find a time that works for people in, like, seven different time zones located on either side of the International Date Line. Sounds like a drinking opportunity to me!

(Note: I accidentally posted this on the end of the last thread when I popped over to see if there had been any action since I last checked. Then I absent-mindedly posted this there, forgetting to spring forward to the one. Whoops! Oh well, one more toward 100k!)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 22, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to do that Nate! I reckon it'd be heaps more fun than doing an automated draft! Apparently I can't change the settings for the league to make it a live draft, but once we get 12 teams, we can work a date and time to do it, then I'll create a new league, and we can shift all our teams into that one.

Posted by: kost52 | June 22, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dawson | June 21, 2007 04:59 PM

Doing so well? They boot you out of a hospital if you have a pulse these days. He's NOT doing so well. May not be in danger, but if they're keeping him--there's serious issues

Posted by: Corkczar | June 22, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse