Legendary QB Baugh, 94, Dies

The man widely considered to be the greatest Redskins quarterback of all time has died tonight in Texas, the wires are reporting.

"Slingin' Sammy" Baugh -- who played for the team from 1937 to 1952 -- was the last surviving member of the inaugural Pro Football Hall of Fame class.

Here's The Post's obituary, and we have plenty more:

- Shirley Povich's column from the day Baugh and the Redskins beat the Bears for the 1937 NFL title.

- A Baugh photo gallery

- A 2006 Style story on Slingin' Sam that includes this quote from Dan Jenkins: "I still think he's the greatest quarterback who ever lived, college or pro."

- More Povich here and here. Wow.

By Jon DeNunzio  |  December 17, 2008; 9:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Vouches for Abundant Talent; How About You?
Next: So Long, Slingin' Sammy

Comments

Rip slingin sammy! What a life!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 17, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

RIP Sammy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 17, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What a life indeed.

This just brings everything into perspective. All the bickering. BAck and forth.

All is irrelavant.

Thanks for the memories, though I have never met you or seen you play.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 17, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Condolences to his family and friends.

Let's keep the previous wailing and gnashing and pointy-elbowedness to the previous thread. Cool? Awesome.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 17, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Reading about his accomplishments is just amazing.

Best QB, topflight defensive back, league leading punter.

A life well-played.

Thanks, Mr. Baugh. Requiescat in pace.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 17, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

The greatest Redskin of ALL TIME.

RIP Sammy,God Bless

Posted by: dashriprock | December 17, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Sammy Baugh. Maybe forgotten by some, but on this sad day remembered by all Redskins fans.

Posted by: ygbrown2001 | December 17, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

33 forever! RIP Sammy.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 17, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

And after reading Shirley Povich's story about the 1937 championship game, I had to point out this line in the story:

"But today, Millner was trancendent—a sure-handed, light footed messenger of grief for the Bears."

That man could write.

Posted by: ygbrown2001 | December 17, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Sammy Baugh was the first, last, and only reason my Pop was a Redskin's fan until the day he died. I learned from him to love and to hate the 'skins, sometimes simultaneously. The only thing he demanded from them 'skins, something that appears to be lost lately, was to play as if every game was a championship game. RIP Sammy Baugh and one of your greatest fans Monte Bourjaily.

With a tear and a smile, I am Neil A. Bourjaily

Posted by: neilbourjaily | December 17, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Being a fairly recent (9-10 years) fan of redskins i'd never heard of Baugh before. After reading this article i felt like I lost someone I knew. What a great sportsman and a great man.

My thoughts and prayers go to the family of Baugh.

Posted by: thor2 | December 17, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Sammy Baugh. What a man!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 17, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Slingin' Sammy

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 17, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Help to start the love affair (recently love/hate) between the Redskins and DC...God Bless.

Posted by: Fuzzy21 | December 17, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

RIP Mr. Baugh

Posted by: rooster75 | December 18, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Not only one of the best Redskins ever, one of the best football player ever!

RIP!

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 18, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to the Baugh family. The NFL has lost the best player to ever take the field, they have lost so much more.

Posted by: craig2 | December 18, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I had stopped reading this blog because of the high level of incivility. But I would like to add my condolences to the Baugh family. I saw Sammy Baugh play many times, first in 1937, that most wonderful season. I saw, among others, the 73-0 game and then the reversal in 1942 where my recollection is that Dick Todd caught George McAfee of the Bears from behind on an icy field, McAfee generally being considered to then be the fastest man in the NFL. As far as I was concerned, Sammy Baugh was always the best player on the field. I don't think I ever heard or read an unkind word about Sammy Baugh, either about him or his performance on or off the field. In my opinion, the most valuable Redskin ever. And, those first Redskins all gave the new team instant credibility. Some may wonder why the Redskins didn't continue their earlier success after WWII. Until then, only the Bears used the T-formation. Skins were a single wing team, with Baugh as tailback. After WWII, every team went to the T. Ray Flaherty was Redskins coach before and after but wasn't successful coaching the T, which wasn't really suited to Baugh, then in his 30s. A humblw, straight shooter. We're not likely to see his kind again.

Posted by: euru | December 18, 2008 2:33 AM | Report abuse

His was long before my time, but I always hold a special place for the trailblazers. The people who did things that no one had ever done. Greatness that went beyond simply being the best ever, but to change the franchise, the game, and likely the entire face of football itself.

Obviously, Baugh was such a man. The writing, especially the "Forever Hailed" piece are terrific reading.

'Forever Hailed' says it better than I ever could

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 18, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Today's Redskin players could learn a lot my following Sammy Baugh's example on and off the field.

Mr Baugh along with Sonny, Larry Brown, Charley, Bobby, Chris and Pat define what a Redskin player should be.

And none of today's Redskin player meet that definition. Are you listening CP and
Santana Moss!

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | December 18, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Slingin' Sammy. Since the current Redskins will have some extra time on their hands come January, maybe they should look into the career of one of the best to ever play the game. Condolences to the Baugh family.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 18, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

RIP to the man who put the Redskins on the map, the original gunslinger. Peace.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 18, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Sammy you truly were the best son of b1tch out there!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 18, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

RIP Sammy

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Baugh was even more successful in 1943 and led the league in passing, punting (45.9-yard average) and interceptions (11).[1][9] One of Baugh's more memorable single performances during the season was when he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes in a 42-20 victory over Detroit.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Records
By the time he retired, Baugh set 13 NFL records in three player positions: quarterback, punter, and defensive back.

Two of his records as quarterback still stand: most seasons leading the league in passing (six; tied with Steve Young) and most seasons leading the league with the lowest interception percentage (five).[8] He is also second in highest single-season completion percentage (70.33), most seasons leading the league in yards gained (four) and most seasons leading the league in completion percentage (seven).[8]

As a punter, Baugh retired with the NFL record for highest punting average in a career (45.1 yards), and is still 2nd all-time (Shane Lechler 46.5 yards), and has the best (51.4 in 1940) and third best (48.7 in 1941) season marks. As a defensive back, he was the first player in league history to intercept four passes in a game, and is the only player to lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions in the same season.[1][8] Baugh also led the league in punting from 1940 through 1943

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 18, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Baugh's feats are mythic, especially when compared to what is considered "great" by today's standards. The story about him calling for a punt formation when near his endzone on first down and then completing a long pass from that illustrates that he was not just an athelete but also a great general on the field. The evolution of a football player may have reached its peak with him. We expect much less and are rewarded with much less these days.

Posted by: driley | December 18, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

RIP to one of the greatest Redskins of all time!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

He played well before my time, however his accomplishments are well documented. An amazing football player to say the least. Prayers, and Peace to his family during this most difficult time...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 18, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

puts it all in perspective. Hail Sammy!

PS vote for London - ESPN poll on whether he should be a Pro Bowl starter

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | December 18, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

" We expect much less and are rewarded with much less these days.

Posted by: driley "

I thought that was a great point, and sadly it's very true.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 18, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse