Leonard Davis in the House

Davis just arrived with the usual entourage of Skins folks. It's going to cost some serious coin to keep thius dude, and some around the league have serious reservations about his dedication and intensity. His rep was not great in Arizona from thagt standpoint. But the dude is huge, has started at left tackle and bottom line is he is going to get paid in this market.

Smoot thing will be officially done at some point this afternoon I imagine. Press conference with Fletcher at 2 pm here at The Park.

On a brief aside, forgot to pass on my favorite story from yesterday. So all the limo pull up in from the building with the usual pomp and circumstance of this time of year. The limos get here before 5 and wait until 6:30 or so, when the Skins people finally emerge.

We ask one limo driver who is here to get and he says, "Mr. Carrado," you know, like Uncle Junior from the The Sopranos.

www.hbo.com/sopranos/cast/character/junior_soprano.shtml
(I can't get the link thing to work - yeah I stink at this - so you'll have to cut and paste)

I cracked up. I was dying to hear the limo driver call our guy Vinny by that name, but unfortunately the dude from The AP told the him the proper pronunciation of Vinny's name. (what the hell was he thinking?)

Personally, I think first of Johnny Drama whenever I hear VInny's name, but from now on it will be Uncle Junior, and Unlce Junior only..

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 3, 2007; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonard Davis Is On His Way
Next: Leonard Davis Speaks

Comments

1st post... waaahooo

Posted by: Go Skins Go | March 3, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It's spelled Corrado, like the car. It's a popular first name in Italy and is used as a last name as well.

Posted by: Corrado | March 3, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

As long as Vinny doesn't start wearing a wire and trying to shoot Danny in a fit of "confusion" i'm ok with that. =)

Hey JLC, any inside word on how high the skins are willing to go for Davis or another guard? I heard $5 mil on the table from Dallas, and while he is a good run blocker and better suited to interior line, do you think they will gamble $5 mil per on a guy that has to switch positions?

Posted by: allstar | March 3, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Guards grow on trees. Why they are pondering overpaying for a guard in this market is beyond me.

On a side note, I have a Pike Place Market shopping list for this afternoon, as ordered by my (hot) upstairs neighbor: macaroni and cheese, candy apples, condoms, and Italian Sausage.

Hmmmmm.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 3, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

allstar -

Davis played both tackle and guard during his tenure in Phoenix. Apparently he was better at guard, according to what I've heard. If they want him to be a guard, it shouldn't be a problem. Having him play tackle might be a different story.

That being said, it is still a gamble to sign him and think someone can change him from what he has been in Phoenix. I think the braintrust thought they could fix Lloyd last year and you see how that has gone so far. Based on that, signing Davis seems like a very shaky idea.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,

No fresh salmon on the list? Weird.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The Mole I am with you 100%. After B Lloyd let this guy walk. Why take a chance and have to deal with two head cases?

Posted by: jm220 | March 3, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Its only a shaky idea until they sign him then it will be a great signing!!Right Mole

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you say, PAMF.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

JLC I'm interested in how you see the Springs situation playing out. If he's let go we'll need more than Rogers and Smoot IMHO.

Also I doubt we spend 5 million per season for Davis, even though I would bet that's about what we were offering Dockery, Davis is no Dockery.

Posted by: Ncskinsfanatic | March 3, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff. Corrado Soprano and Vinny Cerrato are similar - worthless figureheads.

JLC, any idea who else the Skins may be targeting at guard if this guy is deemed too expensive? Not big on signing him but kinda hope the cowgirls don't get him either.

Posted by: cdubb | March 3, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Dockery is no Dockery. He's not Russ Grimm. They can find a guard hanging out at the A&P. Just go to the Chips Ahoy aisle.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 3, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mole. I didn't know they played him at Guard in AZ, I had just heard that pass blocking was awful, but excels at run blocking. Makes sense for a G. I'm with you guys though, we have enough issues with Lloyd, Arch, and I'm sure Marshall won't be happy about being sent to the bench.

So what do you guys think? Anderson, Gaines or Branch with the #6 if they stay put?

Posted by: allstar | March 3, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

As Diddy commented earlier, I don't really get this whole "sign a FA guard!" issue. It seems to me that the teams that have had good offensive lines always manage to have serviceable guards, whether they use 1st round picks, journeymen on veteran minimum salaries, or unsigned FAs out of college.

The one thing that is a given is that continuity of line play doesn't happen overnight. Replacing Dockery will take some time, no matter who is plugged in. Until the new guy gets used to the rest of the group and vice versa, there will be some mistakes and rough edges.

Instead of spending the money on Davis, Gibbs should be saying to Bugel, "I'll get you someone big, and you teach him what he needs to know".

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

GEE Mole did you come up with that all on your own?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

jm220, aren't you exhausted? You were pulling an all nighter :)

I have a stupid question - why can't we sign Todd Wade to replace Dockery? I know he does not play the same position but maybe he could or some shifting could be done.

Posted by: Lisa | March 3, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine goes to the U and he heard Sean Taylor doesn't talk to the media because of the AP writer, Joseph White. I won't go into why, but Taylor's got a good reason from what I've heard.

Posted by: Chuck Deezie | March 3, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking...do they still have A&P anymore? What about Piggly Wiggly?

Posted by: P Diddy | March 3, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

To the hater on the previous thread. Fletcher's deal is five years for $25 million. Now, as all educated 'Skins fans up here know, he'll never see the last two years of the deal, where the base salaries are around $5 mil per season. That means it's really about 3-year, $15 mil deal. (as our boy JLaC noted last night). $5 mil signing bonus, $5 mil roster bonus next year, minimum base salaries. Against the cap, no more than $2-3 mil/year for the 3 seasons he plays here.

Dock's contract pays him more guaranteed cash than Chris Samuels contract. Samuels is a left tackle. Dock is a guard. LT is much more valuable than LG. Samuels has been to 4 pro bowls, Dock none. He's a good to above average guard, but nowhere near the class of Steve Hutchinson, and he's now making the same $$$. More power to Dock, dude got paid, gotta love America. But the 'Skins couldn't commit that kind of money to him. (And, he apparently didn't give them the chance to match, unlike Pierce and Smoot).

As I slowly turn the soapbox back over to sfskin, I'll also say if they go in the $10-15 mil guaranteed range for this slob Davis, that's a HUGE mistake.

Enough ranting for now. It's too nice out, and grandma is here to babysit, so I'm taking Mrs. 4-12 out to enjoy the day.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 3, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lisa. Alway great hearing from you. Nope not exhausted at all.

Posted by: jm220 | March 3, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Well said, 4-12.

One question. If they sign Davis, will you change your name to 3-13 or 5-11? :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | March 3, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

You walked into the WaPo like you were walking onto Smoot's yacht
Your thumb strategically dipped below one key
Your fingers were tied in knots
You had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself blow snot
And all your dreams were that we'd be your partners
We'd be your partners, and...

You're so lame, you probably think this post is about you
You're so lame, Ill bet you think this post is about you
Dont you? dont you?

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

comparing Dockery, to Russ Grimm, is not fair to the man for the simple fact that he has not played, long enough in the league, once he does that and he's career, ends or before then around his 8th or 9th year then will compare the accomplsihments between the two, and see if they are comparable but as of right now until Dockery wins a couple of rings that's the only way you can compare him to Grimm

Posted by: armen | March 3, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Diddy- LMAO! I was leaning towards 5-11 with Fletch and Smoot coming aboard, but if they sign Tub-O-Goo, it puts me right back at 4-12 for now.

OK, that's it. Mid-afternoon happy hour beckons. Diddy, hopefully there will be good wine...

Posted by: 4-12 | March 3, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm on board with the Fletcher and Smoot deals.

But giving Leonard frickin Davis a big deal would be a disaster. As bad as the AA and Lloyd deals.

I mean, the cardinals didn't even attempt to resign him. In fact, Grimm wanted Dockery. Let the cowboys waste money on his lazy a$$.

Posted by: Will the front office ever learn? | March 3, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

armen, fair enough. However, Dockery has never displayed the sort of skill or dominance that Grimm did. Or if you want to look at people at similar stages in their careers: Steve Hutchinson.

Posted by: P Diddy | March 3, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a pessimist but I thik the Skins will give Davis a big deal. They probably feel desperate and he will want big $$$. Plus the fact that Dallas is after him does not bode well. I hope they will be fiscally responsible.

Posted by: Lisa | March 3, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I think Davis also fits into the mold of some of last year's bad FAs, that is, why are we signing FAs from bad teams? Arizona's offensive line sucks and they brought in Grimm to fix it. So why sign Davis, since he was part of that suck factor? It's like bringing in Lloyd and SpeedRumph last year.

I think 4-12 was right; Tub-O-Goo may be the right name for Davis.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You're right Lisa, but we can always hope.

I wish they would let Davis walk and sign Locklear from Sea. He's only 25, 4th year, was a 3rd round pick. Can play guard OR tackle. Better at run blocking than pass, and pulls extremely well. ESPN's scouting report makes it look like he'd be a great fit here and says he just needs some coaching refinement on hand and feet placement (hello Bugel). He'd be WAY cheaper than Davis, and is still young enough to grow with Campbell and the young studs.

Posted by: Allstar | March 3, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are wrong, Lisa, but I am afraid you may be right. Bringing him into town today is a bad omen.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Davis still have the G-Men on his list. Let's hope he is after a big pay day and pay them a visit.

Posted by: jm220 | March 3, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

allstar -

I don't know anything about Locklear (Diddy - do you have any knowledge of this guy?), but it sounds like the smarter way to go. The rest of the offensive line is getting up there in years; it would make sense to start blending in younger talent to ease the transition when the older guys start retiring (or slowing down).

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Please. I doubt our front office even knows about Locklear. They didn't know Lloyd was a punk, even though the rest of the league did. They didn't know Archuleta couldn't cover. So why would they know about a young guard with potential?

Posted by: ESPN Insider would be a better GM | March 3, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

*beep* *beep* new post!

Posted by: dealer | March 3, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

For P Diddy:

www.apsupermarket.com/

Somehow they live on.

Posted by: The Mole | March 3, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

4-12
you didnt do your homework! Fletch makes 13 mill for 1st 2 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 3, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse