Bugel Leaves to Join Daughter

Offensive line coach Joe Bugel has left the team to be with his daughter, Holly, who is battling cancer, and family. Owner Daniel Snyder had Bugel take his private plane to Phoenix after Saturday's game, and Coach Jim Zorn said Bugel will miss as much time as necessary.

Bugel's daughter has a rare, aggressive form of bone cancer. "He's taking care of a very difficult situation in his family," Zorn said. Bugel spoke with Zorn today and Zorn said Bugel could be gone at least a few more days.

In Bugel's absence, offensive coordinator Sherman Smith and tight ends coach Rennie Simmons are handling the O line, while offensive assistant Bill Khayat is taking Simmons's spot with the tight ends. Smith is well-versed in this offense, while Simmons, like Bugel, is a longtime assistant of former coach Joe Gibbs (Zorn has kept the running game and blocking schemes much as they were under Gibbs).

Team May Bring Back Dorian Smith

With the release of Kevin Huntley, Zorn said the team is likely to fill the vacant roster spot by signing Dorian Smith, a DE the team released last month.

James Practices

Erasmus James went through drills with teammates for the first time since re-injuring his knee last December. James, who was acquired for a conditional seventh-round pick in June, was with Minnesota at the time of his most recent injury, and this was his first time practicing with the Redskins.

This practice was just in shorts and shells, but Tuesday is scheduled to be in full pads.

"I'm very excited about tomorrow when we actually put the pads on," said James. "It kind of sucks when you're not out there with the guys."

Defensive line coach John Palermo made sure James did not push too hard in drills, urging him to watch his speed during an exercise in which linemen run in circles with their arms dragging close to the ground. James was activated from the physically-unable-to-perform list this morning and said he would like to get a few plays Saturday against New York if possible.

"I'm just itching to get out there," he said.

James could be a valuable part of a rotation and said he may also end up taking reps at tackle on passing downs. "I definitely think I could," he said. The Redskins would love to get three speed rushers on the field at the same time - along with Andre Carter and Jason Taylor - and form a deep unit in the mold of the New York Giants.

James thanked the Redskins for showing great patience with his long recovery and indeed the team dealt for him knowing he could not pass a physical (James finally did so this week). Zorn said it may make more sense to delay James's preseason debut until the fourth game.

Yoder/Alexander Update

Tight end Todd Yoder was excused from practice to attend his grandmother's funeral. He should be back soon.

Defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander was excused to be present for the birth of his child (Zorn had no update on the gender, size or name of the baby yet).

Injury Updates

Rookie WR Devin Thomas might get a few plays Saturday night against the Jets. Thomas is coming back from a lengthy absence because of a hamstring problem, but was able to take part of in some team drills today.

"I know my limitations, but I'm out here trying to work through it and still feel comfortable," Thomas said. Zorn said Thomas worked hard in practice. "Today he did everything," Zorn said. "We tried to pull him out, and he stayed in."

Safety LaRon Landry (hamstring) continues to be very limited in his work at practice, and may not be able to play this weekend, Zorn said, though he will participate in one of the preseason games.

Rookie safety Chris Horton was back on the field after missing five days or so with a colon infection. Zorn said he is not yet ready for full practice yet, but is getting close.

Receiver Antwaan Randle El said his hand is fine; it was stepped on in the game, but he was making catches and doing his thing today.

Running back Rock Cartwright is working through his rib injury and hopes to play Saturday.

Receivers Anthony Mix (ribs) and Malcolm Kelly (knee), linebacker H.B. Blades (knee) and offensive linemen Todd Wade (ankle) and Stephon Heyer (knee) are not practicing and all are likely to miss at least this week and, in some cases, longer.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 11, 2008; 1:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: James Activated; Huntley Released
Next: Dorian Smith Re-Signs with Skins

Comments

huh

Posted by: dan | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, they're both from the same Anon. The second post was sarcasm, the 1st one was not.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:22 AM

Much thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see McMullen make the team. Yeah I'm loving the camp fodder, so what? I see potential in that guy. He doesn't have any hands, but neither does TO. Hopefully I won't get slammed for my level of optimism for Billy McMullen, as I and others have for Marcus Mason...

Anyone else liking what they've seen from Billy? He and Marcus were getting mad props from B Mitch and Sheehan this morning.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Love the versatility the peeps at WaPo try to give us on RI, but shouldn't videos wait until the end of the day? Therefor EVERYONE can see them.

It kind of sucks to stare at a big white box with another smaller white box that has a red X on the inside of it.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Please refresh. Bugel has left the team to be with his daughter.

Posted by: cindy | August 11, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted this on the old thread...

For the 24 fans:

Also, in all seriousness, heartfelt wishes out for Coach Bugel and his family.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 11, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

cindy, could you please elaborate on this sentence:
said. Bugel spoke with Zorn today, expressing his desire that his charges on the offensive line be looked over thoroughly

was this a typo?

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm definitely with the Mason love up here. I think he could provide cheap valuable depth for Portis/Betts, and I already like him better than Rock as a runner (not special teamer).

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Very best wishes to Joe Bugel and to his family during these difficult times.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Buges and his family. Cancer is a son of a b*tch and it'll take all of them to beat it.

From the previous thread:

Oh, I see. Mason's no good because he wasn't drafted. Got it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:27 AM

Or is it that you have to keep a guy because he is drafted, irregardless of whether or not he's good?

Got it...nope, I lost it again.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:34 AM
----------------------

1) How are you arguing with me AND yourself?

2) Nobody said he's no good because he wasn't drafted. In fact, I never said that he's no good, period. I just said before we go cutting quality veterans, let's see if the kid can play against first stringers.

3) The Skins won't just keep someone because they were drafted. You just have to be more patient with draft picks because you gave something up to get them. Since you didn't put anything into an undrafted rookie, they usually end up out the door.

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind... you guys made up for the vid with the updated thread.

F Cancer and F injuries.

I'm intriguied with Erasmus James. Or maybe it's just his name. Erasmus sounds like a grandfathers name.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Coach Buges you and your family are in my prayers

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 11, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

charges, dealer... people you are responsible for taking care of.

from the interwebs, one definition of charge is 'a person committed to your care; "the teacher led her charges across the street"'

Bugel's charges are the offensive linemen.

Now ya know...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM

Um, "irregardless" is a word. Emmitt Smith may think it's not, but I assure you it is.

Personally, I don't think there's much of a difference between late round draft picks and UFAs. Vinny himself said his draft strategy was based on BPA. Why would you draft "best player available", then disregard "best player in camp"? I don't get it.

And nobody is talking about cutting any seasoned, productive vets to make room for Mason. We're talking about with the last few roster spots, where it may be decided to keep some random safety, or a 6th WR, or a 6th string CB, or a 5th DE, or someone that could easily be picked up off waivers - why wouldn't you rather take a guy who has shown you real potential and hasn't given any reason to doubt him (other than the fact that he wasn't drafted)?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:03 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Prayers out to big B daughter.

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Anon, all I'm saying is that if it comes down to Rock or Ladell or Mason for the 3rd RB spot (if it's deemed that we can only take 3 RBs), Mason's the odd man out. 10 times out of 10, in my book. He's promising to be certain, but I'm just not going to get all worked up over the kid until he plays against a defense that will make an NFL roster. If he runs for 90 yards in the first half instead of the second this week, I'm come help you carry the flag for him. Until then, he's just a guy having a good camp. Period.

By the way, you're right--irregardless is a word. Just a very stupid one according to the dictionary:

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow I wasn't aware of that. I went to Intermediate and Oakton HS with Holly and her sister Jenny. Best of luck to her.

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Actually...

Irregardless is a harmless redundancy. The word is regardless.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 11, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

-JLa

----------

Go team!

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 11, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

do not underestimate the absence of Joe Bugel with regard (opposite of regardless)to the coninued develop of this offensive line.

While your family will always be the most important thing, we need you back Coach Joe!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

hey CP haters! Quote from Portis :

""It was good to be out there," Portis said. "I just wanted to go out there and perform well mentally. I just wanted to make sure that I got the right reads, picked up my assignments, ran the right routes, had the right depth and just got a feel for the game." "

stop saying he's whining and RESPECT THE MAN!!

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Why is the Truth posting in the first person?

Irregardless, now Chia Pet can read his posts.

Thank you.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

watching CP pick up that blitz completely debunks any argument against CP's value to this team.

Rest all you wish, CP.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

CP is a both a great back and renowned whiner; even he would admit as much himself.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 11, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

On "irregardless":

Taken at it's most literal, prefix + root + suffix meaning, irregardless actually means "not regardless" or "not not with regard". As you can see, the double negative cancels out and therefore in its most literal interpretation, irregardless actually means "with regard" or "regarding".

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers to Joe Bugel, his daughter and his family

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 11, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis DESTROYED, either a S, or a LB who was coming free on a blitz. Absolutely stoned the guy, right in his tracks.

I will say that the announcers said during the first half, that this was the first time in his life, that CP has lifted weights during the offseason?? I was curious if anyone else heard this?

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 12:31 PM

Well said.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

On Portis, that's what the preseason is for. Make sure you are mentally and physically ready. So things like reads, blitz pickups, running routs and take a few hits ... that's all he needs. Don't overdo it ... get him 15 or so preseason carries and he's ready.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 11, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

My prayers to the Buges fam.

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I wish the best for Coach Bugel & family in what must be a very difficult time.

Irregardless--Regardless of your opinion on its usage can we at least all agree that Emmit Smith probably can't spell it correctly?

Posted by: GA_Skinz_Fan | August 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Irregardlessly I could care less about this whole argument.

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 12:33 PM

Based on that video of him and LaRon sprinting, I'd say he's been lifting weights. If he came into the league barely clipping 200, I would think he's got to be at least 225 right now.

LaRon looks like he's definitely been eating his vitamins and saying his prayers.

Funny thing is Clinton is listed at 223 and LaRon is at 213. Based on that video I'd say LaRon is at 230-235.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Emmitt couldn't spell Irregardless if you spotted him an I, an R, an E - oh never mind...

Prayers and thoughts to Coach Bugel and his family

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Irregardless of your opinion, irregardless is a word and as such is regardedly found in the common usage of the english language.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

4) Irregardless is not a word. Even Emmitt Smith knows this.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 11:46 AM

This sort of crap is always the most boring, tedious pedantry up here on RI. But for brownwood26 it's nearly rocket science.

Posted by: So what, Bozo | August 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Irregardlessly I could care less about this whole argument.Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 12:47 PM

nice!

nate, thanks for the def. and i sorta knew what it meant but there's some ambiguity (i felt) in his statement. is he saying "have someone look after my o-line" or is he saying "i'll look after my o-line"...

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

++++Irregardless is a harmless redundancy. The word is regardless.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 11, 2008 12:17 PM++++

Hey no more inflammable comments like that. I mean flammable.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: So what, Bozo | August 11, 2008 12:52 PM

Posted by: Could it be? | August 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Who in the hell cares if you mispell a word or use improprer grammar ON A BLOG, message board, or what have you. As long as it's legible, what does it matter? It's not like we're writing term papers here, people.

However, I agree with "Irregardless" and it's usage. I liken it to saying "irrdisregard", although that isn't a word at all, but I've heard it used on several occasions.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Good to see some "young blood" competing for this team. It matters not if player A, player B or player C makes this team, as long as the team gets more competitive both now AND in the future.

While many on the blog deeply resented "the process" of finding a new coach, I believe that coach Zorn and coach Smith are great offensive minds and will be long term keepers.

Posted by: keyskonnection | August 11, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Mason is coming on to the Doc Walker Show next to tell Greg he will make the team irregardless of the fact that there are 3 vet RBs ahead of him......

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys fan here, wishing the best for Joe Bugel and his family.

Unfortunately, this is a demonstration that there are many things that supercede a football rivalry.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Either way, only a person with a lesser developed temporal lobe would utter the word "irregardless" in a serious manner."

So you're saying that this word should be right at home here on the RI.

Maybe it should be the irofficial mascot word of the blog.

Posted by: stumped | August 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Case in point: My 12:58 and "improprer".

That wasn't my any means done on purpose. I'm not the best speller at times, nor do I care if 100% of what I type is spelled correctly all the time on a blog. I just think it isn't that serious.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM
Skinz,
We got some Oakton H.S. people in here. I went there too. (Lived in a Herndon nieghborhood called Fox Mill) But I didn't know she went there.

Posted by: AG | August 11, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You also slipped an its/it's in there for good measure, DMV. Don't think we're not paying attention! :)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

My wishes go out to your family Buges. The town of Washington will be thinking of you.

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | August 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Regardlessing the use of the word irregardless, Mason will make the team this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys fan here, wishing the best for Joe Bugel and his family.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:09 PM

Great rivalries are founded on respect. Here's to a respectable season for both teams. That's as far as I'll go.

Now, I'm sure you meant to say:

"Unfortunatelessly,
this is a demonstration that there are many things that supercede a football rivalry."

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

4th, lol, irregardingless, thats some funny stuff right there....

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

is sally in beijing or filing her stories from nyc? seriously though...why did the ioc award china the olympics? cindy, have you heard any horror stories from your pals up there? any you like to share up here...

Posted by: dealer | August 11, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

That "24" Clip is funny!

Posted by: JoeBlazin | August 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

RC, you out there??? Thoughts on the Fins bringing in CPennington?

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Question: you wanna know how you are a dork?

Answer: you argue over if irregardless is a word

Posted by: Great One | August 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Only horror I hear about is the smog. It's beyond imagining. I myself await Michael Phelps' inevitable wardrobe malfunction. Hope Jack's kids aren't watching.

Back to fubball...from Jasno's chat:

Roanoke, Va.: Thanks for the great coverage Jason. Here's my question. Marcus Mason: There is no way they put him on the practice squad to be scooped up by another team right? Aside from the fumble, the kid has looked really impressive. Do the Redskins carry four running backs? Fugazi-Waiting Room

Jason La Canfora: I think so my friend. Barring a collpase or injury, I think Mason will stick.

Last year I know of two teams that nearly plucked him from the practice squad, and he won't last this time around.

Love me some Fugazi.

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Will the 'Skins keep Fugazi on the practice squad?

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

In the chat, Jasno said that if the team keeps Mason, that most likely they'll only go with 5 wide-outs.

I'd rather they went with 3 RB's, and 6 receivers, the thinking being that keeping Mix, or McMullen might have more immediate dividends than keeping Mason.

Thoughts...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Fugazi will be kept in the Waiting Room. Also great to see a Bergkamp reference in the chat.

Where is Redcoat? Is he irrepresenting?

Redcoat, guess who took Brett Favre's roster spot in Green Bay? That's right, Scorpio Babers.

Posted by: SMCK | August 11, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

D.C.: With all due respect to the previous HOF coach, this time last year and well into the season the Skins could not even line up and snap the ball consistently. After 2 mostly penalty free preseason games it seems Zorn's basic football coaching skills surpass previous administrations.

Jason La Canfora: I am with you 100 percent.
Game day was a mess under Gibbs. It really was. All of that clutter and pre-snap motion and mumbo-jumbo that never really fooled anyone and resulted in a lot of penalties (too much time, offsides, etc).

This looks like it will be a smoother operation, but, again, let's see how it goes when the results really matter. Early returns are promising, but that's not alwasy the best way to project.
---------------------

Not true. The motion is designed to throw the defense off balance.

The most famous play in redskins history might have been because of the pre-snap motion of Don Warren going right and coming back across left of the formation which made Don McNeal, who followed the motion, fall down and he got back up right at the snap a tried to tackle Rohn Riggins and wasn't successful and BAM; Super Bowl is earned.

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

AG,

Yeah she went to Franklin then Oakton. The bounced when I was a sophomore to Arizona I think when Buges got the head coaching gig maybe? I don't exactly remember.

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Not true. The motion is designed to throw the defense off balance.

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 1:43 PM

Motion is supposed to also tell the QB whether the defense is playing man-to-man, zone, etc. I can recognize as much, just playing Madden (wait=one more day!)

Posted by: Not Anonymoust | August 11, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Is Madden coming out tomorrow???

Also are all the rookies in each year? I'm an NCAA guy that might be getting Madden this year as well.

haven't bought a new Madden in a couple years and can't remember if they put rookies in or not

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Along those same lines, as what I outlined above regarding THrash, I'd rather the team went young along the OL, and jettisoned Wade, and Fabini. Keep Geisinger, and Crummey, and let Buges work with them and train them, and go from there...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 12:16 PM

Skinz,

Posted by: AG | August 11, 2008 1:17 PM
________________________________________

Wow, how weird. Not only did I also go to Oakton, but I also grew up in Fox Mill. And, like AG, I didn't realize the Bugel kids went to Franklin and Oakton. Best wishes to them.

I went through highscool with Norvs kids. His son was QB of the football team, hahaha. I think he managed to lose a lot of games by 7 points or less.

Posted by: swb | August 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

My heart and prayers go out the Bugel family!

Posted by: POOP | August 11, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I too went to Oakton...this is getting crazy...

Posted by: POOP | August 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Greg, completely agree with you on Thrash. Love Thrash alot, but want to see this team keep both McMullen and Mix (M&M?).

And can't argue with your thought on the OL. If these two guys continue to show their stuff in the next three PS games, then I say go younger. It worked out with Hyer last year.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 11, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers to Buges and his fam!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The truth knows nothing. He needs a link for everything. Dosen't know when anything is coming out. Dosen't know if he has NFL Network. Dosen't know what time the game starts. What day the game is. Who the skins are playing. Dosen't know if he has sattelite or cable. Nothing.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted a mock roster last night that I thought was pretty solid. This list had 4 RB and one FB. This would allow us to keep CB and Betts as 1&2 RB and Mason as third and Rock to field kickoffs and back-up FB.

And still allow for 6 WR.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I did not sign as annonymous. WTF is going on?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't need links to everything

But it is true I don't know anything :(

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

CPND 53 Man Survivor: 8-11-2008

Robert Large (PCinOZ)
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 11, 2008

Well we’re a two games into the preseason and the 80 players are fighting it out for the final 53 places that will see them come out of camp as members of the Redskins. Eight others will make the practice squad. It’s a zero-sum game; every job a player wins means that another has lost his.

Here, WarpathInsiders.com fearlessly predicts who will survive the dreaded Turk and emerge as one of the final 53 men standing. This is the second in a series of predictions that will be updated regularly.

FINAL 53 MAN ROSTER PREDICTION

OFFENSE

QB’s (3) – Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan

RB’s (4) – Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Marcus Mason

FB’s (1) – Mike Sellers

WR’s (5) – Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, James Thrash

TE’s (3) – Chris Cooley, Todd Yoder, Fred Davis

OL (9) – Chris Samuels, Pete Kendall, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen, Stephon Heyer, Chad Rinehart, Jason Fabini, Andrew Crummey

DEFENSE

DL (9) – Jason Taylor, Andre Carter, Cornelius Griffin, Demetric Evans, Erasmus James, Kedrick Golston, Anthony Montgomery, Chris Wilson, Lorenzo Alexander

LB’s (7) – Marcus Washington, London Fletcher-Baker, Rocky McIntosh, Khary Campbell, HB Blades, Matt Sinclair, a yet to be signed veteran

CB’s (5) – Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot, JT Tryon, Leigh Torrence

S’s (4) – LaRon Landry, Reed Doughty, Vernon Fox, Chris Horton

SPECIAL TEAMS

LS (1) – Ethan Albright

K (1) – Shaun Suisham

P (1) – Durant Brooks

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Sacrifice McMullen. Mix is a better special teamer (actually a great special teamer), and so is Thrash. And you've got your two young potential WRs in Thomas and Kelly, and Mix may add into that mix too.

If it comes down to it, Thrash has to stay for Sp teams and intangible reasons, and Mix wins the last spot for Sp teams as well. (Unless McMullen is also a special teams ace, and I just happened to miss that).

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Why the hate on Thrash? all he's doing is play ball and the coaches say he's locked in at the #3 WR spot. but yeah, let's cut him to keep mix and mcmullen who have proven nothing. but don't keep mason for the same reason you want to keep M&M. strange

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

JLC show his d-bagness in that chat
calling the skins an unlikely playoff team

what a killjoy dik head

Posted by: jonthefisherman | August 11, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Early Practice Squad Prediction

1. Jason Goode TE
2. Byron Westbrook CB
3. Derek Devine QB
4. Justin Geisinger OL
5. Maurice Mann WR
6. Devin Clark OL
7. Kareem Moore S
8. Rob Jackson DE

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/778092.html

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Not hating on Thrash, I'd just rather take my chances on Mix, and McMullen, I think at this point, they have more upside, as well as youth on their side.

I'd also like to see Geisinger make it over Fabini.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

i'm jonthefisherman. if a reporter don't say the redskins will be 16-0 and win the super bowl, then they're a dik head. boo hoo hoo jlc ain't a homer. whaaaaaa.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

If either Crummy or Geisinger makes the practice squad we may lose them. Especially if they continue to shine.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 11, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Now that we're done with the "Irregardless" stuff, let's move on to stupid plural nouns, like "Media," which is plural--and increasingly of late--stupid.

Fr'instance.

"The Media is at the Olympics" am right.

"The Media are at the Olympics" is wrong.

Or vice versa.

I don't care. That's what editors are for. I mean, is for.

Diagram the following sentence:

"Corkczar, having wasted his time with English Gramma-jabba, will now go back to his first love, Competitive Macrame."

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 1:18 PM

HA! I'm pretty sure they'll be more post like this one more often. And Nate, I'm sure there is plenty of just god-awful use of english in my post.

The most common error I get in MS Office is "Fragment (Consider Revising)".

Posted by: Run-On Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I set him up with the question about the over/under of playoff wins for this team.

harharhar

And PS - Keep Thrash, duh.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

+++Early Practice Squad Prediction

1. Jason Goode TE
2. Byron Westbrook CB
3. Derek Devine QB
4. Justin Geisinger OL
5. Maurice Mann WR
6. Devin Clark OL
7. Kareem Moore S
8. Rob Jackson DE--4th++++

Trouble is, 4th, Numbes 4- 6-7-8 all have real potential, and aren't likely to last. I forsee either they are on the active squad or suffer "season-ending" injuries and are stashed on injured reserve.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Prayers for Buges. The man is in agony now and deserves better, as of course, does his daughter.

All parents know the truth in the saying "A parent is only as happy as their least happy child."

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Come on Truth. JLC didn't pick the team to make the playoff last year. Said that CP was just about done. (after that statement CP went for over 100 the very next game) So that should show you how much faith to put in JLC picking them not to make the playoff.

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for McMullen making the final 53. Did I hear irrincorrectly or did Theismann and the other dude say on the broadcast that McMullen was 240?

Oh and, why does everyone hate Joe Theismann?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Red, that was Mix they were talking about, and it was 243, I believe...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I could never hate Joey Theeesman. Dude won a Super Bowl, and led them to a second one. Now, I do hate his irri(gardless)tating blowhardery on the teevee.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Greg- Good to see your man Mason playing so well. You've got him down for, what, 1,250 yards and 14 TDs this year, right? :)

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

So intelligent people can understand:

And everybody hates Joe Theisman because all he ever talks about is himself while he's broadcasting. Rather than using anecdotes of great players, he portrays himself as amazing and compares current events to events that happened to him. It's perfectly fine when your grandpa does it, but even you get tired of your grandpa after the third time of hearing the same story. Not national TV material.

For the rest of us:
Joe Theisman is a self absorbed [expletive].

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

4-12, thats just for the Giants game right??

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

No theiman hate here, luv the dude...AND i like him as an announcer!

F H8TRS!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 11, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Greg.

I'm really torn between Mix and McMullen. So far I think McMullen has been outplaying Mix, add the fact that he's injured now, I'd say that it isn't looking to well for A-Mix.

Mix has too much time in to be on the practice squad, right?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hi guys. I read alot but havent posted here much lately. I was thinking about the performance of our rookies in the first 2 preseason games and it hit me that it essentially garaunteed that atleast 8 of our 10 draft picks will make the roster:

Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, Malcom Kelly, Chad Rinehart, Justin Tryon, Colt Brennan, Durant Brooks, and Chris Horton are all as close to "locks" as you can call them right now.

Kareem Moore may even surplant Vernon Fox to take our 4th Safety spot. He has looked really good so far. If thats the case 9/10 of our draft picks may make the final 53 man roster. Rob Jackson is the only draft pick that I don't see making the roster, and he is a lock for the practice squad. Heck, if James gets hurt, I expect Jackson to be called into duty immediately. We had a GREAT draft and Vinny deserves as many props as we can give him.

We have all of our starters back from 2007 when we had a 9-7 season and made the playoffs. We've added 2006 defensive player of the year Jason Taylor and suddenly our teams biggest weakness - lack of a passrush on our defensive line- has become a strength. Between JT and the draft, we've essentially upgraded nearly 20% of our roster.

Jason Campbell has looked like he has a grasp of the offense for the first time. He seems to have found his groove. Even Peter King said Campbell had the best training camp he had ever seen BY ANY QUARTERBACK in his entire career covering sports. We may have a rookie HC in Jim Zorn but he seems more comfortable managing a game than JG2.0 ever did. Barring an unprecedented number of injuries, somebody please tell me why I shouldn't be so freaking optomistic about our team this year?

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 11, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Greg.

I wish the kid well...hope he has success in the NFL either here or elsewhere. He just reminds me of that guy everyone loved in the '06, '05' 04, etc preseasons...you know him...your local Nationwide sales rep.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

that was Mix they were talking about, and it was 243, I believe...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 3:28 PM

Thats a lot of man cL, can you handle all that?

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I like Theismann as an analyst, announcer, or whatever the dudes in the booth are referred to as these days.

I don't get Skins fans ripping a QB who won a super bowl for YOUR team.

The only thing that he displayed blowhardness to was when Brady Quinn was drafted. He seemed a little to high-strung about his hair when he FINALLY walked out of the green room on draft day.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Prayers for the Bugel family. I saw Buges with George Michael and Sonny an channel 4 last week when I got into town, and he was his usual charming self. Definitely a brave man.

Thanks for the well wishes for my step-dad. We brought him home from the hospital about an hour ago, and he's doing great.

I'm definitely rooting for McMullen. Part of that is because he's performed well, part of it is Hoo-love. And I'm loving the Thrash at #3. Easily one of my favorite Skins. I'm not at all surprised that he won over his new coaches so quickly. Coaches prize consistency and hard work in a player, even if there are other guys more physically gifted.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't put stock in anyone's predictions

I go into every season thinking (though not expecting) my team(s) can win every game, and they can.

UGA this year can win every game. Will they? Doubtful.

Redskins can win every game this year. Will they? Very doubtful.

Bobcats can...wait, not hey can't. :(

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 3:36 PM

Are you a Redskins fan?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Good thoughts and wishes and mojo to the Buges family. I hope things work out for the best.

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

So intelligent people can understand:

For the rest of us:
Joe Theisman is a self absorbed [expletive].

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 3:36 PM

tekman13, right--f'ing--on point!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Given the injury issues with RBs in last few seasons why not keep Mason? I agree give him time against 1st stringers and see what happens.

I cannot believe I missed a disucssion about vocabulary!! My superhero name is Pedanta for a reason. Phooey!

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ARCHULETA COMING BACK?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2008, 12:53 p.m.
Cut by the Bears earlier this year, one-time first-rounder Adam Archuleta might be getting another shot.
The Raiders are taking a look-see at Archuleta. But not to play safety. They’ve worked him out as a linebacker.
He could either serve as a backup to middle linebacker Kirk Morrison or weakside ‘backer Thomas Howard. Alternatively, Archuleta could enter the fray for the still-vacant strongside position.
Other candidates for the third starting position are Ricky Brown, Robert Thomas, and Sam Williams.
Archuleta spent five seasons with the Rams before joining the Redskins as a high-profile free agent. But after Archuleta fell out of favor with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the ‘Skins traded Archuleta to the Bears in 2007. After one year in Chicago, Archeluta got the shoe.

Posted by: 4th via PFT | August 11, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 3:36 PM

Are you a Redskins fan?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 11, 2008 3:54 PM

Very much so. I liked Theisman when I first started listening to him, but just like grandpa's war stories, he gets old fast. He doesn't seem to have a recollection of anything in football that didn't some way involve himself.

Posted by: tekman13 | August 11, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Theesman is ok as an anouncer to me. And Mike Patrick was on point for the game......

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

tekman- You do realize Joe T. is the ONLY QB to lead the Redskins, a team you like "very much", to 2 Super Bowls, right? And that he played in the NFL for 11 seasons, right? And that he played in the CFL before that, right? And before that, Notre Dame, when it actually meant something to play for the Irish, right? He's got a lot of football knowledge, and many stories that actually do involve him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Love*heart*love*heart Joey T. as a QB.

As an announcer? Eh not so much. He doesn't add much in the way of analysis i.e. I don't 'learn' anything from what he has to say nor does he break stuff down particularly well.

[To echo 4th - that 4x100 relay holy shmommel shmorse what a performance! Although it is beyond weird how records are being smashed. I mean does a fancy pants swimming outfit really account for all that? Are swimmers suddenly that much more serious in their regimen? Weird.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I love Thiesmann as an announcer. He shows good insight, and I think has actually toned down his no-shut-uppedness from when he first started out calling games. I loved the old SNF team of him, Patrick and Macguire. They got along very well and Theismann and Macguire played off one another very well. For a while Patrick was the best in the biz (IMO), but he seems to have slowed down some since his heart surgery, and I thought that ESPN screwed up when they did not give the three of those guys MNF. Jaws and the other guy are okay, but Kornheiser's a joke. Like his other shows,and his writing, but get him out of the booth....

Regardless of the fact that Joey T was a skin, he is good in the booth. Not many other guys would have been able to explain why Mason could/should carry the ball differently when he runs back kicks vs running out of the backfield. And if I remember correctly, when he was explaining that, he didn't tell us all about how HE used to carry it when he played.....

Posted by: dlhaze | August 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

‘HAWKS DUMP TUBBS
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2008, 3:00 p.m.
The Seattle Seahawks have parted ways with defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs.
Tubbs, a first-round pick in 2004, was having difficulty in the rehab process as a result of knee surgery. The team opted simply to call it quits and move on.
Coach Mike Holmgren hasn’t ruled out bringing Tubbs back if his knee fully recovers, but at this point the team doesn’t see that happening.
Tubbs will immediately become a free agent, and he can sign with any team.
He appeared in eleven games, starting three of them, as a rookie. In 2005, he had eleven starts and thirteen appearances during a regular season that culminated in a berth in Super Bowl XL.
The next year, Tubbs appeared in only five games. He underwent microfracture surgery late in the year, and then had a second procedure in 2007, which caused him to miss the entire season.
“It’s been real hard [Editor’s note: That’s what she said],” Tubbs said earlier this year. “I’m not going to lie to you, I think about it all the time. It’s been pretty much like a year and a half since I’ve really got to play, so it’s really hard.” [Editor’s note: That’s what she said.]
.........................

Whaddaya Think??

Erasmus James 2.0?

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Worst announcer EVER was that loudmouth Tim Green. Guy wouldn't miss any single opportunity to tell us all about how he made it to 2 playoff games in his great career with the Atlanta Falcons, or how he has writen 10 books about football. Now there's a guy who wouldn't shut up about himself.......

Posted by: dlhaze | August 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The MNF crew is a horror. I hate them particularly after last year's Skins MNF game when they spent the entire 3rd quarter talking about everything but the game. Charles Barkely came into the booth and they prattled on about betting and golf and everything. Tiricio would call the play as an aside in the conversation.
If I could have crawled through the TV to throttle them I would, in fact I think I tried.

Jaws though I think is one of the best on breaking stuff down. He sees the field in a way most guys in the booth can't or don't bother talking about.

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion Joe Theeesman was an awful self absorbed blow hard who had great insight like, "Look Mike witch ever team scores more points is going to win the game"

then of course there is his best line ever:

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein. "

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Host,
I agree with your assessment. I'm very pleased with this off season and the pre-season. I'm hoping Vinny and Danny have turned the corner for good.

But it's still too early to tell. Given the conditioning issues and injuries, we won't know how good the rookie receiver picks will be until half way through the regular season.

Posted by: stumped | August 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow witch and which is impressive ever for me.

Posted by: Skinz | August 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

sfskin - with varying degrees of intensity, that's how I feel about most football broadcasters these days, though I do remember that night - I just said "Wow - these guys get paid for this....geez"

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess I like analyst/play by play guys who think about those of us who are huge fans but maybe don't know/get all the Xs and Os so break it down for us.

[I actually think NBC is doing an outstanding job with this very thing and the Olympics. They give you basics on the sport they're showing. Really nice.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Heads up to Buges and his family.

Too early to set roster.
Mason has issues, he carries the ball to loose and will get stripped often. He can't pass protect and will get JasonCampbell thumped on blitzes. He is a good runner, but against the 1st stringers I'm not sure how good he is. See how he does the next couple games, but currently I don't think so.

I believe Zorn is going to be pass happy, letting the pass setup the run. We need six maybe seven receivers, good luck with that. I hate our two top draft picks haven't shown us a thing. (fans that is)

So far, I like Wallace at Lb - a training camp surprise for me. I think he has played well, with a few mistakes I've noticed - but sometimes you have to know what the defense is doing before you know if a guy is doing good or bad. I like his hustle and around the ball play.

Position concern is keeping our cb's healthy, we have no depth. And no way we can afford to move SSprings to safety. He plays good corner and doesn't hit well enough to be a safety or maybe too fragile to play safety. I don't like that move at all.

Posted by: rando | August 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sign Tubbs ASAP!!

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to send best wishes to the entire Bugel family. All of the Redskins Nation is hoping and praying for your daughter.

And Dan Snyder should be commended for the generosity he displays whenever a member of the organization is in need.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, no thanks! We have a starting LB, our second/third corner, and Erasmus (who hopefully will be in the D end rotation) already coming back from major injuries. And Tubbs sounds like an even worse gamble, with that history.

But hold up, are we that thin at D tackle, that this guy looks like a good idea? Holy crap. I thought we had agreed to focus our sky-is-falling worrying on the LB corps.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'd bring Tubbs in for a look/see, no harm in that. Maybe he's worth a year on IR, to get his knee healthy, and then start fresh next year. Worth a shot to me...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

JohnD - true true. . . Brian Baldinger he is the worst right now and it was obviously on purpose that he was our color guy for at least 5 games last year.

Then there was another guy who we had who was really really good. . . .Tim Ryan maybe?

[Andrea kremer is the worst interviewer. She needs to be tossed in the pool at the Cube.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 11, 2008 3:40 PM

TSH, I think JT Tryon is probably a good candidate for the practice squad. He has blazing speed, but needs more work on coverage skills. After being burned in several preseason games, I don't think anyone else is going to steal him this year.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I assume Redskins One is fueled and ready as it were ready to swoop in and sign guys cut from other teams especially at LB. . . although once again the Raiders demonstrate well everything you think about them. . . .Archuletta really?

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

BEst wished to the Bugel family. Hope they can get some peace

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 11, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Kareem moore, looke good in the game. he was in on every tackle whether run or pass and he wasnt the first to get there he was within a second of being the second man.

I think when he gets healthy and puts on a little more weight he will be a force to reckon with

Posted by: Great One | August 11, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

ME and the Truth finally agrees.

Tim Ryan is a great Colour Analyst.

This is the 1st Olympics I have watched since I went to Atlanta in '96 and I have to admit it is great.

I caught alot of (female) volley ball and (female) beach volleyball and must say, I watched the WHOLE THING.

I caught Phelps 1st gold at around 4am Sunday. That was sweet too.

And, that opening ceremony was A-MAZ-ING.

Watch out US of A, someone is coming after us.........

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I've been lifting weights!

Posted by: Adam Archuleta | August 11, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

i dont hear anyone talking about the cb richardson who made the pick in hof game. he has played solid man to man defense in the first two games

Posted by: Great One | August 11, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

We are in a much better place than we have been recently.

Now we're worried about having talented players get picked up from the practice squad, as opposed to trying to sign practice squad players from other team's.

(not that there is anything wrong with it occasionally, just don't want to be the perennial bottom-feeder)

Posted by: stumped | August 11, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Great One | August 11, 2008 4:59 PM

Then you haven't been paying attention my friend because there have been several discussions about him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 11, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Put me down for the "sign Tubbs" movement. Nice vet minimum pick-up with a nice upside.

Theismann sucks. If you get fired by ESPN, that's REALLY bad. You don't even have to speak English to work for ESPN (see Smith, Emmitt)!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 11, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

COLES DROPS F-BOMB ON ANTI-CHAD FAN
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2008, 4:40 p.m.
Jets receiver Laveranues Coles has yet to comment publicly on the team’s decision to dump quarterback Chad Pennington and his $6 million salary in favor of quarterback Brett Favre and his $12 million salary.
But at least one Jets fan who wasn’t sad to see Chad go has gotten an earful from Coles.
According to Dan Leberfeld of JetsConfidential.com, Favre threw a deep ball to Coles during practice. (The pass was incomplete due to pass interference by Darrelle Revis.) When Coles went to the sideline after the play to get a drink of water, a fan yelled, “Chad could never throw it that far.”
Coles’ response? “F–k you.”
Nice.
Maybe Coles thought the fan was Aaron Rodgers.

Posted by: 4th via PFT | August 11, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

+++What are people's thoughts on Thrash?? While I think he's a good player, I'd almost rather keep Mix, AND McMullen, for their youth, and upside, than keep Thrash, and one of those two.

Thoughts...

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 1:40 PM

TWO THOUGHTS

I don't think Zorn would be planning to cut Thrash without showcasing him. He's healthy, and getting minimal PT. I think if he were Gonzo, Zorn would be working on helping hm find employment elsewhere by showign him off more.

Second, me and thee and all who post here don't know the true Locker Room impact of certain players. Sometimes, the presence of a Thrash type can be more valuable than a younger, even more talented player. The vet experience can be used to educate ALL the young wideouts, and advance their usefulness to the team.

If he's THAT kind of character type, he would certainly make any team I coached. And face it, the 'skins will have THREE tall WRs in Thomas, Kelly and Mix/McMullan anyway, Plus the TEs are fast and 6'3" or so, so there's no shortage. But I think a young team needs leadsrship.

I predict McMullen stays and Mix goes to IR or the practice squad, to be brought up if an active WR goes down.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

RAIDERS INK ARCHULETA
Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2008, 5:17 p.m.
On the same day that free-agent safety Adam Archuleta visited the Raiders at their training camp, the team signed him to a contract.

He reportedly will be either a backup safety or a candidate for the strongside linebacker position in the Raiders defense.

Archuleta was a first-round pick of the Rams in 2001. He was cut by the Bears earlier this year and has since been looking for work.

Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. If the contract is comparable to others negotiated this year by the Raiders, we suspect it will be something like one-year, $15 million.

Posted by: 4th via PFT | August 11, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

RAIDERS INK ARCHULETA

It's a shame for Arch that the Raiders no longer play in LA. Then the move could keep him closer to his wife, since she's the one with the better career prospects and needs to be near the Playboy Mansion.

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 11, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

My prayers go out to Buges and his daughter (family). It's really sad.

I broke my pinkie finger this morning and was feeling really sorry for myself...then I read this post about Buges daughter and realize how silly I've been.

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

u all are nutz, I love Theisman as an announcer...the old sunday nite crue was tops in the biz.....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 11, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

and kudos to Arch's agent who somehow keeps getting Arch new contracts. He's/she's definitely the most talented person in this entire deal.

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | August 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Re: Thrash....

Thrash is making the team! Zorn loves him just as much as Gibbs did.

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree on seeing it in terms of the 'big picture,' but a broken pinkie finger is still a big deal, Lisa. Is there at least a good story behind it?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I really wish I had a hot, exciting story about how the broken pinkie finger occured but alas, it was stupid accident with a water bottle.

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Thrash is making the team! Zorn loves him just as much as Gibbs did.

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 5:32 PM

The other reason he's making the team is that both McMull It and Mix would have to step up and outplay him. I don't think either will outplay him, much less both of them. And that's why coaches love him: he shows up and does his job.

Posted by: Mull It | August 11, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Stupid accidents can make for good stories... wasn't fishing for anything naughty! You seem to be typing okay, which is the important thing. I think we have an ultimatum to reach, so every comment counts...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Nste, I am actually having difficulty typing....and the gym was a challenge today. My finger looked like an O lineman's this morning.

On to football - how can we NOT keep McMullen & Mason? But we also need to keep Mix. What to do?

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts and prayers are with the family

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | August 11, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | August 11, 2008 5:56 PM

Water bottle, schmarter bottle. Come on, Lisa, this is the internet. You can say anything and what will Nate know? Or any of the rest of us.

How about this. Lisa was gambling in Atlantic City. She was counting cards at the 21 table. She was up nearly $45,000. Dude spotted her. He bumped into her and she dropped some chips. When she was picking them up, he stepped on her hand, hard and ground her fingers into the carpet.

Luckily, it was only the pinkie that got broken. Could have been much worse. In fact it was. She pulled a hammie getting out of there. She hadn't warmed up adequately.

Posted by: Mull It | August 11, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow a water bottle.

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

A water bottle? Did your pinkie get snagged in the secret compartment?

BONG!

If you need a good story, Cindy can slam her car door on it for you.

Posted by: SMACK | August 11, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

If Lorenzo Alexander has not picked a name yet I would suggest Alexander, or if its a girl I would recommend Alexandra.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 11, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest Poop-Face

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 11, 2008 6:38 PM

I'd recommend 35332. Works equally well for a boy or a girl.

Posted by: Mull It | August 11, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I gotta go with Alonzo. Gotta work your way through the 'zo's before you go elsewhere.

Actually, is "Zorn" a "zo" name? Hmm... need a ruling from the judges.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 11, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I "heart" Zoe.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

...from a Skins family transplanted to Houston.

Posted by: Thoughts and prayers for Holly, Buges and family... | August 11, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, someone earlier in this thread was dead-on, saying what could be bettet than to have practice squad players as back-ups who would be wanted by other teams. I agree. Let's field our best 53, and have a dynamite practice squad. Sure, we may lose a few, but it will help us in preparation for upcoming games, and it will provide a better source of fill-ins in case of injuries, which do occur from time to time.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I should have stated that I keep Mix if his health allows. He is a stud on special teams, as is Thrash. Thrash also provides clubhouse leadership, which is invaluble. Both are capable backup at wr, and right now Thrash is rated as our #3 wr. I would use the rookies at wr as backups, also. I don't think McMullin competes on special teams.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

thoughts and prayers with lisa...:)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Ughhh, Choakton heads, be quiet.

Posted by: Chantilly | August 11, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan of Mix mainly because he's big target that has played with Soup in the past. So hopefully they've got some chemistry and he's been here a little bit longer than the rookies.

Unfortunately, we have seen very little from the rookies, so it's hard to evaluate their potential in the NFL versus how Mix has performed so far.

The hardest thing is to choose between a proven veteran that has a few good years left and a young player that is still developing or even a high draft pick with unknown potential.

Jason Taylor is in his 12th year. Thrash is in his 11th year. Of course, Thrash is not the impact player JT is, but we are betting JT has at least 2 more years, right?

How many more do we expect from Thrash?

Posted by: stumped | August 11, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

You can't put MacMullen on the practice squad -- dude's been in the NFL too long for practice squad. He was a third round choice of Philadelphia and spent two years with them and one with Minnesota.

Posted by: Mull It | August 11, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 11, 2008 5:29 PM

I woould like to cosign on this comment as well....

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

August 11th: They Said What?

Site Staff
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 11, 2008

See what various Redskins had to say today, including Erasmus James. (Pictured)

Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn

On having safety LaRon Landry back:

"It is [good], but he still does not have the burst and full speed quite yet. We still need to be careful, but it is good to have him back. We are just trying to work him in and keep him going. He is going to play in preseason. If it is this game or next game, it just depends on how works in this week. This is a work week, reps, especially individuals, to see how well he can push off and change directions with his hamstring. Today it just wasn’t perfect. We are just going to keep watching."

On defensive end Erasmus James practicing today:

"He is getting to take off, start to work back into drills and really feel like he is a team member. That is going to be very exciting for him. If we get him in at all this week it will be because he did very well in all the drill work. Really, I would like to see him the following week more than anything."

On tight end Todd Yoder and defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander missing practice:

"Yoder is with his family in Indiana. He had a death in the family, so he is at a memorial for his grandmother. Lorenzo has a celebration in that his wife is having a baby."

On cornerback Shawn Springs not practicing:

"We are just taking care of his calf. He got a few plays in, it tightened up, so I just don’t want to take a chance with it."

On wide receiver Devin Thomas:

"Today he did everything. We tried to pull him out and he kept himself in. He plopped on the ground one time to make a catch and bounced right up. I thought he accelerated very well. He seemed to be working right in. As he progresses this week, we could see him this weekend. If everything goes well, we could put him in. Now, he has to get assignments, route running, understanding what is going on. Hopefully he has had a chance to study and listen so that we don’t lose a step as he enters back in the groove."

On if he has had a chance to talk to the guys who are trying to make the roster:

"I have done both this morning, as a group and each day I am trying to encourage a couple guys each day one-on-one. In the group I addressed that this morning because it is getting down to the time where we are going to make some decisions. None of the young players have the opportunity to take a breath and relax. They have to actually intensify breath in and have much more awareness because time is falling short for them to perform each week. As we watch the game video this afternoon it will be a great opportunity for them to learn. We have a special teams practice today and it is a great way for those young guys who are maybe not going to be the starter on offense or defense but have a chance to be a key special teams player. This is their time."

Redskins Wide Receiver Antwaan Randle El

On how wrist feels today:

"Today it feels fine. It didn’t bother me at all. I just had to ice it up and it is doing good."

On if his wrist will hamper his playing:

"No, it is literally a bruise. It is a deep bruise, but it is fine. Like I said, I was out here practicing today and didn’t have any pain in it. It doesn’t look like it is going to slow me down at all."

Redskins Defensive End Demetric Evans

On how much of a battle for playing time is this training camp:

"The day Phillip (Daniels) went down, Jason (Taylor) was here the next day. This is training camp and that is what it is all about. It is about competing. It is about guys earning spots and nothing has changed this year."

On what the defensive ends switching sides during the game does for the offense:

"It creates mismatches because most right tackles are used to going against more powerful guys. Then you have a guy who is used to speed rushing. It messes up the set. It messes up his footwork, so it is a mismatch."

Redskins Defensive End Erasmus James

On whether it has felt like an eternity since he last put on a helmet:

"I was definitely excited to put on a helmet today, and will be excited to put on pads tomorrow."

On how hard it was not to be able to practice with the team:

"It definitely felt like I was part of the team, but it’s not fun when you are not out there with the guys, talking with them on the field."

On whether he was frustrated with his injury situation:

"It hasn’t been frustrating. I have been excited with the way the Redskins have handled it. They have been patient with me, and that is something that didn’t happen in Minnesota. I am very happy and fortunate that it happened here this way. The athletic trainers have done a phenomenal job of getting back, and now I am ready and feeling great."

On whether he feels like he has been put at a disadvantage by not having practiced for so long:

"No, not at all because I feel like everything that I have been doing has been getting me prepared for when I get in there."

On whether he has any internal timetable for playing in his first game:

"My thoughts are getting some work done this week and possibly getting a few snaps during the game this Saturday. I am just itching to get out there, so even if I only play one series, I will be happy with that."

On how he felt after practice today:

"It felt great. I have been feeling good for the past few weeks. It has been a matter of holding to the schedule they have prepared for me."

On how he feels he fits in at the defensive line position alongside Andre Carter and Jason Taylor:

"I feel like I can play the run and pass rush. Wherever they want to use me will be great. I love the competition between all of the guys."

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/778276.html

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 11, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tandler to da Post | August 11, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

On washpostlive earlier JLaC was referring to past years when the front office bought all the high priced free agents and to describe it used the phrase " they shot their wad everywhere".....loved it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

JAWS SUCK! Bring back TEEESMAN!

Posted by: 4th | August 11, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

So true...Baldy's awful.Theisman's not the best but he gets a pass based on his ring. Although Mike Golic said he really disagreed with Joey T.'s comments on the Farve deal this morning but book bags and lunch boxes intruded & I missed what he said.

Posted by: GA_skinz | August 11, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go choke my chicken.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go choke my chicken.

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I can't find Olypmic coverage on ANYWHERE and I have like a billion channels! Help! I'm getting the shakes, the DTS. Dammn you HD! Wait I have HD in the other room but it's a teeny TV and in front of the treadmill which I decided not to get on today. What...to. ...do???
Goose I'm losing control. I'm losing control. Help me Goose.

eeeeeyyyyyaaaaaahhhhhh

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

So here is a question:

A more than yes or no answer would be lovely if you have the time. . .yes I'm looking at you Signore Anonymous.

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh this Russia Georgia thing is completely nuts and scary. Echoes of 1921 and 1945. . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"Kelly has the knee injury and then surgery. What are the chances we see anything from him in the preseason? Given that plus his less than smart comments about being in shape etc. do you consider for even a moment putting him on the practice squad if McMullen keeps showing good things on the field?"

I would guess he ends up on injured reserve before the Skins would expose him by putting him on the practice squad.

Posted by: isnadd | August 11, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Text should read:
Nate, I really wish I had a hot, exciting story about how the broken pinkie finger occured but alas, it was vast, right-wing conspiracy with a water bottle.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 11, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

If he is hurt, then IR would be better than risking another team snatching him off the practice squad.

Posted by: ga_skinz | August 11, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Right. I don't know why I keep forgetting about the PSers being available to other teams.

Never mind. Yeah IR would be a better place.

[Speaking of which my computer is soon to be on the PUP as I am going to hurl it out the window.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

No way Kelly goes PS. Cant take such a big risk on such a high pick. Maybe PUP if he is eligible.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 11, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Text should read:

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 11, 2008 9:54 PM

...I did not have sex with that pinkie finger...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

God, how lame have you guys become up here? Kelly's going to be on the team. You don't stash a rookie WR, 2nd round pick, on the PUP unless he's lost one of his legs in a car accident.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope you guys were not talking about the SNF team with Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire on it. Those guys were terrible and annoying.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OG Barno | August 11, 2008 4:39 PM

Well said Barno... My prayers are with Buges and his family.

Posted by: Siris | August 11, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

The Mix injury could open the door for Mason to make the team again. I think he's a very good RB, but it's a numbers game... he's not as valuable as Rock at special teams and I haven't noticed how well he protects on passing plays. He runs well, but that is only one necessary aspect for a #3 RB. Drafting Davis means there will be 3 TEs on the roster this year; plus the Skins may elect to keep either six WRs or 10 OL.

Posted by: Siris | August 11, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

While I like the way Mason has run, I don't see how he makes it on the final roster. There aren't enough plays to get him the ball on offense, and he hasn't shown anything on Teams.
A fourth RB is a luxury we can't afford -- if either Portis or Betts was questionable, that'd be one thing, but the numbers game at WR (with two rookies that need to be on the roster without either a lot of playing time or contribution to Teams) means that you have to keep someone like Mix.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 11, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 9:30 PM

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

my palms are hairy

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Mark Schlereth lived in Fox Mill. We are everywhere beeyatches !!

Posted by: Fox Mill-Franklin-Oakton | August 12, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

+++Therefore, I keep Thrash and Mix, and put McMullin on the practice squad. I keep Fabini, and put Geisinger on PS. I keep Matteral, and put Tryon on PS. I love Horton, and I like Moore, but I may have to try to put Moore on PS. I really like Jackson, but may have to put him on PS.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 11, 2008 7:39 PM+++

Let's let the coaches take a few more peeks at these guys in game conditions, on tape and at practice. Plus with three games left, someone will get hurt and make a decision for them.

If James knee holds up, I agree Jackson will go on Practice squad.

What happens to the tall receivers probably depends a lot on Mix's ribs, Thomas's hammie and Kelly's knee.

Fabini maks the team, and is probably the first OL filling in if someone gets hurt--at least until Heyer is healthy.

Sadly hte young players advancement will likely be slowed by the tragedy in Buge's family. So guys with experience have the better shots...

Posted by: Corkczar | August 12, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Dam even POOP went to Oakton....WTF ?

Posted by: AG | August 12, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 9:45 PM

Huh? How this political stuff gets posted on a Football blog, I have no idea.

Malcolm Kelly on the practice squad?

Sheesh is right!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Eyeballing the season schedule. . .the start and finish are just a little bizarre. I'm sure we've hashed it to death but why stop now?
Start with 3 division rivals away and then end with 3 AFC games. Just weird to me.

Hmm I seem to bring out the "best/worst" in Anonymous Blogsch. . . ba dum dum . . wah wah wah waaaah

[Watching Phelps . . it's astounding. He makes everyone else look like guppies. He is another realm like Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan at their peak.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

anooooooooooooooooooying!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Well take heart Anon(s) I'm back to work this week so I'll be annoying a little more sporadically.

: )

Posted by: sfskin | August 12, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

THANK GAWD!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Penis & Vagina

Posted by: Baby Jenkins | August 12, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

If I remember Correctly in the video game Ghost Recon they had Russia Invading Georgia in 2008, that was the main story of the 1st game. Someone see if Tom Clantcys behind this?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Quick though. Should Zorn lose this week or next week so that he has an idea how the team will react?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 7:46 AM

No. He should win this week to see how the team will react. What a dumb question.

Posted by: You've got to be kidding | August 12, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

WTF are you talking about? Its a very important thing for a coach to know. If you don't know how your players and team reacts to losing, and how to get them over a loss then you're being irresponsible as a coach. Would you rather see how Zorn handles a loss now in pre-season, and make sure he can get the team back on their feet and win next week or in week 1 and hope that he can?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Alex, what a great thought! Coach to lose! If the team really likes losing, then he can make his job easier by losing from here on out: two more pre-season, plus 16 regular season. They'll be one big, happy family out there in Ashburn.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 12, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

You use the pre-season to get an understanding of how your team handles a situation, when do you want them to handle the bad parts of the game?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Alex, You must be really happy about all the injuries that the Redskins are having in pre-season. It's very important to know how quickly a player can recover and isn't it better to find this out in the pre-season than in week one or week two? Now, if they actually do get injured in the first week, we'll already know which ones can come back quickly and which ones will be out longer.

Posted by: Injuries 'r us | August 12, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Don't change the topic. When do you want the coach to show how he handles the negative stuff that happens in football?

This is part of being a leader in the real world, knowing how to handle good and bad stuff when it happens and if you can control it, even better.

If we lose a meaningless pre-season game and that night he talks to these players who struggled and gets them to work harder and be successful than he gets the team even more in his corner.

Or would you rather they wait till the games count?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 12, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

good morning, beep beep, and like such as.

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

god bless coach bugel and he family. You are in my prayers!

Posted by: Ab;air | August 18, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse