Let the Hazing Begin

The first rookie hazing during Washington Redskins training camp took place after Monday afternoon's practice session, with cornerback Kevin Barnes and linebacker Robert Henson rounded up and tied to a goalpost by veteran defensive players.

The two rookies were left there for 20 minutes before defensive ends Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels trekked down to the field to untie them and allow the pair to return to the main facility in time to make meetings.

Linebacker London Fletcher "said that [Cornelius] Griffin needed to talk to me about something, and then Griff put his arm around me and was like, 'Don't fight it,'" Henson said. "And if somebody that big tells you don't fight it, they mean it. So it's better to just go with it and not have the whole [defensive] line and defense on me."

DeAngelo Hall took Barnes over to the goalpost, the third-rounder from Maryland said, and after the two first-year players were taped up, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth dumped a cooler of ice water on them.

Earlier this year, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said he had discouraged rookie hazing, and at his news conference Zorn played coy about the incident.

"Are there? Wow," Zorn deadpanned when told the rookies were taped to the goalpost.

Zorn also said he had never been tied to a goalpost during his playing days.

"When I was playing I've seen our trainer tied upside down in the training room on a boxing, you know a speed bag platform, tied upside down and left there," Zorn said. He was left there, "until somebody came to their senses and got him down. But no, I've never been really tied up."

Barnes said he was comfortable enough out on the goalpost and was preparing to take a nap when the two veteran defensive ends finally came out to untie him.
He also said he didn't think it'd be the end of the hazing.

"It could get worse," Barnes said. "This might not be all of it. We've got a lot of rookies, I know, so this wasn't too bad. I've heard worse stories so it might not be the end."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 17, 2009; 6:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo Continues to Impress Coaches
Next: Portis Expected to Play

Comments

dont fight it.... You know its comming when that gets said to you

Posted by: ocskins | August 17, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey, for the 1st time I can say 2nd.

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins try to replace Campbell after this season, its going to be in free agency, not the draft.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:13 PM |

Out of curiosity, who is the FA QB you had in mind? Quinn/Anderson, Young, Simms, Grossman, Leinhart, Garcia, Culpepper, Pennington, Leftwich? You hardly ever see a good FA QB. Just about all the big time QBs were drafted by the team they are on. Occasionaly you will get a Cutler/Brees situation. But not very often. If the Skins are lucky/awful they could end up drafting a Sam Bradford and then finding some fill-in QB (mebbe a FA) to start until the heir apparent is ready.

Posted by: MrRed | August 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

really???

Posted by: ocskins | August 17, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Re: LaVar

Early Career -
Was the only reason to watch the Skins for many years. 3 consecutive Pro Bowls and knocking Troy "The Nancy-Boy" Aikman into retirement earns him an all-time spot in my heart.

Later Career -
Blame to spread around. LaVar got injured; freestyled alot; became a little unreliable; maybe thought he was "above" the system. Even so, good coaches figure out how to get the most out of their best players. Pretty bush-league of Grilliams to cuff LaVar and sit him on the bench just b/c he didn't stand in the right spot all the time. All the while Warrick Holdman was giving us 1 tackle per game.

Contract Issue -
Blame falls squarely on LaVar's bum-of-an-agent who forgot to check the contract to see if the mysterious 6.5 mill bonus was actually in there. Stupid of LaVar to beef with Danny and stand by his dumb agent. I believe the agent got his licesne suspended for malpractice.

Post-Redskins -
Achilles injury and lucky to survive the motorcycle crash. You'd think that brush with death would make him a little more grateful, and he wouldn't be spending his days squeezing sour grapes. You've got a nice life, LaVar...just enjoy it...

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable punched one of his assistants on Aug. 5 at the team's training camp headquarters in Napa, Calif., several media outlets reported on Monday.

And the dude didn't even have a banana in his pants!

Posted by: MrRed | August 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Hazing is such BS. I never "just let it happen" and I never "just let it happen" to anyone I was charged with looking out for.

It's a coward's way of exerting power... under the guise of "Tradition" and "Team."

I would think there would be better things for the 23-0 Redskins to be doing than taping the new guys to goalposts.

Really.

And Zorn letting it happen?

Total BS Coward Move. I fail to see how this makes "Men" out of the Rookies, fail to see how this "helps" build anything, fail to see why they let it happen.

Of course, that's just me. I always felt I EARNED my right to be where I am and if someone wanted to "punish" me for it, he was gonna have to beat me, because I was sure as he11 gonna beat him.

Total BS. Hazing is for Pusses.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I guess you never played football, huh thinker?

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I was captain in high school, selected to the Big 33 as Wide Receiver and Safety to play against the best 33 HS players in PA (I was representing MD),and played a couple years in Div III in College.

One of the MAIN reasons I quit was because I didn't like being treated like a kid - talked down to by coaches who knew less about football than I did. Seeing brown-nosers play in front of better players, seeing older players take the field instead of better freshmen and sophomores; all the politics involved. It's not like I was getting a free ride, though.

I never hazed, nor did I think it added to team chemistry to pick on the younger guys. You want them to perform like men, right?

Treat them like men.

I'm guessing YOU never played football.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

And London Fletcher!!

Of course he's mad a Rookies, after that one took his old butt for 64 yards against the Ravens.

My advice to London: Leave the rookies alone and go try to get faster or smarter... 'Cause you're not getting any younger.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Redskins.com has a poll of fans to see who should be next for some "good-natured hazing."

Glad to see 68% (so far) are for Brian Orakpo... I hope he punches London in his fat, butt-kissing face.

Enough with the "good-natured hazing." It isn't. It's demeaning, distracting, and stupid.

This is what happens when you've got too many guys in their mid-thirties playing on a team.

Grow up, already.