Let the Madness Begin

No, not the Redskins madness. It's pretty quiet at the park. While Jasno continues his vacation and JReid trolls for an update on the fubball team, let's watch some hoops, shall we?
Herewith my over-caffeinated, under-researched picks for today's games (since I messed around and missed out on entering the PDX bracket):
East
Washington State vs. Winthrop -- Who cares? It's the apple game: a state known for producing apples vs. a delicious variety. Hmmm....I'm going with Winthrop. They're due to beat a Pac-10 team. This is the day for history.
Notre Dame vs. George Mason -- Are you kidding? Mason!
South
Michigan State vs. Temple -- I think you have to go with Michigan State, although I have a good friend whose last name is Temple.
Pitt vs. Oral Roberts -- A tough one to call, but i'll take Pitt for one win.
Marquette vs. Kentucky -- I'm picking against streaks today. What can I say? That's how I roll. And Kentucky has won 16 consecutive NCAA first-round games.
Stanford vs. Cornell -- Cornell loses to ranked teams, ergo....they lose this one. Yeah, that streak thing doesn't apply here.
Midwest
Kansas vs. Portland State -- I don't see Kansas winning it all, but this ain't the one they lose.
UNLV vs. Kent State -- I closed my eyes and threw a penny at the bracket. Kent State.
USC vs. Kansas State -- Lalaland vs. The Little Apple, getcher porcorn and all that. I like SC.
Wisconsin vs. Cal State-Fullerton -- The Badgers.
West
Xavier vs. Georgia -- Gotta go with the X-men, but Dennis Felton is a DC dude.
Purdue vs. Baylor -- Like Kornheiser, I believe that no one can root against Baylor. And, if you do, boooooo. (Even though one of my best buds is a Purdue alumn and they have one of the top five all-time nicknames....)
Duke vs. Belmont -- Belmont doesn't have the horses...hahahahahahahaha! Good one!
West Virginia vs. Arizona -- WVa is 22-0 when it has a better field-goal percentage than its opponent.
Mississippi Valley St. vs. UCLA -- Um, no. UCLA.
Texas A&M vs. BYU -- I'll take A&M, please.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 20, 2008; 11:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The New Playbook Is Taking Shape
Next: Stump's Take

Comments

Where are my Ohio U. Bobcats?

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What? We weren't invited to the dance? That's Unpossible!

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'll have to be content with our perennnial top 10 party school ranking. Damn the luck.

Beer time.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

NIT? CBI? CSI: Miami? Sorry, 4-12.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll change my last name to Bolerjack.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, of course Cindy. We're in the CBI, along with Nate's Wahoos. Both teams are now in the Elite Eight! Ah, the excitement that is the CBI.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Seth,

Here are JC stats his senior year at Auburn in a WCO.

Name Yr Pos G Att Comp Pct. Yards Yards/Att Int TD Rating Att/G Yards/G
1 Jason Campbell SR QB 13 270 188 69.6 2700 10.0 7 20 172.88 20.8 207.7

Looks like he was good a completing the underneath routes to me, 70% completion percentage not to bad either, why dont you give the guy a chance and I think you will be satisfied. Plus starting Collins this year would just set the team back, he will get you some wins in the regular season but he is not taking you to the superbowl ever. JC could get us there within the next couple years.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 20, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Just a little note in Seth's defense......I'm the one who brought it up again this morning......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 20, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

You and Nate should have a wager. Something humiliating.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the fact that both our schools are in a post-season tourney where the winner gets to chant: "We're number 98! We're number 98!" is humiliation enough.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, great work, Cindy. Thanks for joining the fun.

So... are you and some of the WashPo sports gang watching the tourney in the bullpen, something fun like that? Is Mr. Tony there cracking wise? Or cracking Wise?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Go Vikings!

(I fear it will be a long bus ride home from Omaha for these lads.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

new thread, nice........

Does this mean we can table the absotutely asinine, boring, mind numbing castrating discussion of trading JC, or his worth until next season....or at least till games are ya know....played?

and F the wunderlic test by the way....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

4-12 has it right, Cindy. It's going to make for a toxic combination, seeing our alma maters relegated to the tertiary postseason tournament (and, to our horror, watching them win games, indicating that they CARE) and watching our Big Dance brackets disentegrate before our very eyes.

Good times, good times.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

tertiary?

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 20, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

chris LarRy, I understand where all the concern is coming from -- will JC be great, this season or ever? will he be able to manage Zorn's offense? will we create enough "clearance" that the ball can be reliably snapped to him without requiring him to sit on the ground? and etc. -- but I agree that it's just empty speculation until we see him in action in this offense.

In the meantime, make mine jibba jabba!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Like, not the primary tournament, and not even the secondary tournament... the tertiary tournament. Is that the wrong word?

It's a lousy word, I'll grant you. And it's a lousy tournament!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any combine stats on albert? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Posted by: sams3 | March 20, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

johnd- That's his UVA side talkin'

My OU side says "sucky" postseason tourney.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Chris Larry!
We have the NCAA "package," so I'm currently watching X-men vs. Georgia. It's pretty quiet so far, we're just watching in little groups on the craptastic Toshibas (remember them from fubball season?) on our desks. No Kornheiser; he's going to the beach today, since there's no PTI and, hence, no Talking Pts. He was worried about possibly blowing off the bridge on his way there today (since he doesn't want to take the long way). I convinced him that he'd be okay if he just weighed the Caddy down.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The discussion of trading Jason Campbell is as empty as a discussion of (1) how great Sean Taylor could have been; (2) whether LaVar Arrington got the shaft or gave the shaft; or (3) why Joe Gibbs really stepped down.

JC is the QB and in a year we'll know how well he can play in Jim Zorn's offense. We'll never know whether he can play in some stylized West Coast Offense which seems to be a very flexible term that means whatever the poster wants it to mean.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 20, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

No, it's the absolutely perfect word - I was just oddly impressed by it

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 20, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

new thread, nice........

and F the wunderlic test by the way....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2008 12:46 PM

At risk of a "we need more new threads!!" rant....What do you want to talk about?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 20, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I've got a little bit of Bobcat blood, 4-12. My dad spent a year in Athens, I think he transferred in and transferred out. But never you mind about that.

Should our teams meet in this inaugural CBI, I will be rooting for neither of them. Because again, the ignominy of playing for 98th place is simply too much.

I'm hoping the Cavs tank their game against ODU on Monday and get it over with. And send the Monarchs on to the "glory" of the CBI semis...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

GOOD NEWS AT LAST!!!

This may come as faint comfort, but it appears we may not be the dumbest civilized society on the planet.

Apparently, in Great Britain, one out of three children think Winston Churchill was the first man to walk on the Moon. Everyone here knows Neil Armstrong was first. Churchill was second.

Posted by: corkczar | March 20, 2008 12:56 PM

Posted by: corkczar | March 20, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

sams, try nfldraftcountdown.com

They have a whole section on the combine, height, weight, 40 time.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Tertiary is a great word. My neighbor did some tertiary to the bushes outside his house. He's a Maryland alumn and he shaped a turtle. It was cool.
Jason Campbell cannot be traded. That would be silly. But if discussions like that bump our numbers, bring 'em on! We're at 174,840something. Which is good.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze,

I am not anti discussion of whatever, but c'mon you got admit some discussions become so repetitive and peeps just be saying the same things that are just illogical anyway given the facts....

JC aint getting traded...stop suggesting it...its like the tards who propose trades on sports talk radio..."The yankees should trade Melky Cabrerra and a bag of balls to Angels for Bartolo Colon and Vald Guierro"

Its just people proving they are masterdebaters.....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

GOOD NEWS AT LAST!!!

Posted by: corkczar | March 20, 2008 12:56 PM

Posted by: corkczar | March 20, 2008 12:58 PM

I thought Neil Armstrong played RB for the Broncos in the 70's....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 20, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I hadn't heard Cindy's reference to the Cavs of that small Catholic college in Cincinnati as the "X-men" ... but come to think of it, it makes sense why nobody ever passes to The Wolverine.

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

cl, Colon is on the Sawx, but I get what your saying......I'm picking up your throw down...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

That was Jack Armstrong

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Right there with you Nate. I see that my boys play the winner of the Bradley vs. Cincinnati game. That would be 13-18 Cincinnati.

Ugh. That's like a kick right in the tertiarys.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Good one, Sween.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Its just people proving they are masterdebaters.....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2008 01:04 PM

I am just tired of draft speculation. PS I am against trading him. But really, what else do we have to talk about? Bring on the jibba jabba....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Sports Editor, is there any chance the Sports Section article underlining can be eliminated?

It's very irritating!

Posted by: gorillam | March 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd been away from the computer for a while ... wiping the vomit from my shirt over the opening performance by the Spartans against Temple. Now that MSU is going all the way again, I can blog (albeit with my own special smells).

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Seth/all

Too early to tell on JC.... he has the most potential of any QB we have had since Brad Johnson.....not a given he will just saying the raw material is there, needs more playing time....it takes about 2.5 to 3 yrs to develope....lets see

Posted by: Oldschool | March 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes, 13-18 really means 18-13. At this time of year, you have to throw records out the window. On any given night in the CBI, any given team can win.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, Cindy, I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring... "200k in 2."

25,000 more comments in the next four months, hitting 200,000 by the second anniversary of the blog (August 1), will be a piece of cake.

I still love this blog.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with discussing the future prospects of one of our players. It's no more empty than discussing who we should draft, who we should pick up in FA, or who we should cut. Nothing we say here will have influence over the Front Office decision making, so either it's all good to dicsuss or none of it is good to discuss - as long as it's a reasonable argument or opinion (aka not trolling).

Seth, feel free to bring your opinions any time. Not everyone here thinks the same way.

Posted by: psps23 | March 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess we will have to disagree on Campbell. I wasnt trying to say what WOULD happen - i'm just not sold on Campbell at all. I mean, i can't really beleive Zorn is either. he doesn't like black QBs, remember? I think we will sign a white QB at some point in the draft, thereby proving Zorns racism.

Seriously though, assuming Campbell is our #1 and Collins is our #2, what round will we draft our #3 and who do you guys think will be a good fit?

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone noticed JustMe's link at the end of the last thread (a location typically occupied by a corkczar post), but the Fredericksburg paper said Bugel played Herm Edwards to Brandon Alberts' Matt Ryan (which is insider talk for saying how the coach monopolized the chatter with the guy at his Pro-Day). So that might be good, the top guard in the draft as the Skins' first round guy ... plus, the pick might be able to help Nate get beyond is UVa shame ...

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I am trying to think of way to use quaternary so I can impress johnd, too; but nothing is coming forth.

Posted by: Markin21132 | March 20, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it... I've been so infatuated with Cindy Boren I hardly realized the potential power I have of being known (somewhat) by the Sports Editor of the Washington Post.

I'll try not to abuse that potential power... like I'm abusing the TV in my room during my planning period right now.

Cindy, could you somehow slip the word flibbertigibbet in a 35 cent edition article?

Posted by: Dorf | March 20, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, Today in RI History:

Quite a discussion we had in the wake of Adam Archuleta's departure. And looky there at the comments, where a fellow named "Jason La Canfora" was participating in the conversation. Good stuff.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

u guys are right....keep beating the dead winged unicorn that is the JC trade....

I'll just ignore....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 20, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

seth, while your posts are normally stupid in their football content, that last post was just uncalled for. If you were trying to prove how much of a tool you are, nicely done. You left no doubt...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 20, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

dcsween,

I would take Albert he will be a good fit at guard for the next 10yrs.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 20, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Mark, you could proceed with a prediction that in the next decade there will be a quaternary postseason men's college basketball tournament, making the CBI look like an established institution. And that UVa will appear in it from time to time.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, Dorf, if you buy a bunch of copies and boost circulation by about 20,000, I think I can sneak that word in....As for being known by me, that's pretty much worth bubkes, until, of course, I write my memoir.
As for 200k, I think that can be done by the draft. Gulp.
And who knew that Adam Archuleta could win American Idol???

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure he was kidding, Greg.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 20, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

tertiary ... isn't that the name of the guy playing deep in cover-1 when everyone else is blitzing?

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Time out...

I think SETH was jokingly referring to the spurious claim up here (was it made by poolman?) that a story allegedly was floating around from Zorn's past which indicated some kind of bias against black QBs. But whoever claimed that such a story existed also claimed WashPo prevented him from posting a link to it. And of course he never did anything to indicate where this story allegedly could be found, and it became clear that the guy (was it poolman?) was just a troll trying to stir up racialist controversy up here.

Again, I think (no, I HOPE) that SETH was jokingly referring to that minibingus.

Touchy, touchy.

Play on.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

km, agreed, I think that Albert is a very safe pick at 21.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 20, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Minibingus!!!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE IT.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

yeah greg, i was making fun of the mental patient's assertations (im not posting his name incase he looks for it via "alt+F") that zorn was a racist and didnt like campbell because he was black. it was a cheap attempt at humor because i was arguing against campbell as the starter...anyway, i'm sorry if that comment offended you.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 20, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

also, I'm pretty sure quintenary is a word ... its the paper used by the captain of the boat in Jaws to write thank you letters. [someone kill me, this could go on till dodecenary ...]

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

seriously though, i would be interested in discussing the 3# QB situation. i hope it will be addressed in the draft.

I was reading an article on espn or si.com or some other sports site where it looked at teams that consistently drafted well - they always took a quarterback in the later rounds to develop. The theory is that most 5-7th round players dont work out anyways, but because there is such a premium put on quarterbacks, your 6th round QB investment today can yield you a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a trade in a couple years to a QB-needy team.

For that reason, plus the fact that we need a #3 QB, i'm hoping we take a QB in the 5th.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

dodecahedron

Posted by: johndinhouston | March 20, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

zebu

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If Todd Wade at 6'7 is too tall to play Guard effectively in the NFL, why is Branden Albert at 6'7 a potential All-World Guard in the NFL? It seems like both would have leverage problems with NFL defensive tackles and thus be prone to giving up sacks. (He allowed 5.5 sacks in 2007 at U. Va.) It just seems like a move to OT might be in his future (which doesn't really help the Redskins if Kendall retires after 2008).

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

At the half time of these games, I'm just finishing off my bag of Munchos. Ya know, if anyone can think of a tastier reconstituted potato-like savory snack, I'd like to hear it.

Also, on Branden Albert (who I'd been blocking out b/c I was confusing him with VaTech's Brandon Flowers, who has "character issues"*), there is nothing sexy about picking a guard in the first round ... which is why I think he would be a perfect compliment to this offseason.

* Do people with multiple personality disorders have character issues?

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

tafka, Fabini is 6'7" ... Wade has goodness issues.

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

SETH, I've sort of been expecting Zorn to bring in a QB who he's worked with before to be our #3 guy and a "coach on the field" type during minicamp and training camp, as we get the O installed.

But maybe Zorn himself is that dude (the old QB/teacher with familiarity of the O). And in any event we already have The Todd as the cagey veteran backup, and nobody outstudies and outcoachesonthefield and outclipboards The Todd.

So yeah, I guess you're right, it wouldn't be a surprise or an unwelcome move if we picked up a QB on day two of the draft. Not unwelcome... as long as we've done good with our picks up to that point, of course :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am leaving work just wanted to leave everybody with a phrase that you better get used to.

Duke Bluedevils 2008 National Champions

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 20, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep in a few minutes. No breaking news; JReid just visited with Stump Mitchell.

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

TheCindy, do you guys at WashPo Sports do a tourney pool? Not trying to out you for gambling -- I know that would be out of the question. Seems like it would be fodder for plenty of trash talking in an already salty environment.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, Jeremy Zuttah of Rutgers is shorter, faster and stronger, and will probably only require a 3rd round pick.

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You say Sasha Kaun, I say Chaka Khan.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 20, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Fabini was pretty bad at Guard also. He did manage to stay on the field more regularly, though. Watching him completely fan on pass blocks was painful.

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

taf, I'll take Carl Nicks, and Zuttah, in the third with our third, and the extra pick.

Nicks ran a 5.1 at 341 pounds.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 20, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

leonard davis - 6'6
alan faneca - 6'5
steve hutchinson - 6'5

i'm not really sure how much height has to do with ability to play guard. i think it's more of an athleticism issue, being quicker than you're opponent to get leverage.

Posted by: psps23 | March 20, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No tourney pool for us!

Posted by: TheCindy | March 20, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

In fact, I think I would call Fabini's style "air blocking".

(B E E P)

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Nicks run himself into jail last weekend? Not a high character guy, I think.

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 01:49 PM

Call it in to Joe Bugel ... the bit about Branden Albert was just a report ... that Bugel, as a factual matter, spent a lot of time chattering with Albert.

Also, the various place I checked say Albert is 6' 5 1/2", not 6'7". Not sure where you got the data that he allowed 5 sacks.

Posted by: dcsween | March 20, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You're right, Sween - Branden Albert measured 6'5 at the Combine. Don't know where I got 6'7. More on Albert (from NFL Draft Scout) -

"Draft Scout Snapshot: 2007: All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team choice...Added All-State first-team honors from the Virginia Sports Information Directors Association and the Roanoke Times...Started all thirteen games, lining up at left guard in eleven contests and at left tackle for an injured Eugene Monroe vs. Pittsburgh and Middle Tennessee State...Graded 83.54% for blocking consistency, as he posted 54 knockdowns and had key blocks on twelve touchdown-resulting drives while serving as offensive team captain...Was penalized twice and allowed 5.5 sacks on 428 pass plays...Earned team Offensive Player of the Week honors vs. Wake Forest and North Carolina."

Posted by: tafka | March 20, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

this blog used to be interesting

now it is pretty lame

all you do is post crap you cut and paste from profootball talk

or post stupid junk that is not about the skins

this place is almost as useless as ExtremeSkins

some insider