Let's Keep The Faith For Coach Joe

Not sure if some of you might already know this, but Joe Gibbs posted on his website today that his grandson, Taylor, has been diagnosed with leukemia. Taylor is 2, and, although there is a belief that he can pull through, he is also undergoing chemo, and I can only imagine how difficult that must be for a child of that age.

My heart goes out to the entire Gibbs family. That is such a difficult ordeal. Joe's' faith is tremendous and during his video-taped message on joegibbsonline.com, that sentiment rings through. He is putting this in God's hands.

My family will certainly keep his family in our thoughts and hearts. And I feel safe in speaking for our blog that we will do the same.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 23, 2007; 10:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Tuna, Melted
Next: Scott's New Orleans Links

Comments

Jason,

I heard about Gibbs little grandson and posted it on the previous thread. How very sad - poor little guy (I mean his grandson). But I feel for Coach Joe as well. He truly loves his family.

They are in my prayers....

Posted by: Lisa | January 23, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Damn. I was going to report on a brief but delightful meeting between 4th and SMACK at the Wiz game tonight, and this has just put a damper on it all. I'd never root against Joe Gibbs. Really I just root against his clothes. In real life you gotta love the guy and I can feel how his heart must be breaking.

Well damn. Not a good showing by the Wiz either. Anyway, 4th, good saying hello and I'm sure your son enjoyed the game despite the loss, and that weird dude coming by.

Posted by: SMACK | January 23, 2007 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Joe Jackson G.

Posted by: Icarus | January 24, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Coach I know that GOD will give you the strength needed to get through this trying time. The Wade family will keep you in our hearts and prayers!

Posted by: g-wade | January 24, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

This thread is reserved for good thoughts and hopes and prayers for Coach Joe.

Like any family we bicker and fight and all the other stuff but when it comes to what really matters we're with you.

Grace, love and good karma to the Gibbs family.

Posted by: sfskin | January 24, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Gibbs and his family.

Posted by: jm220 | January 24, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, particularly the parents.
I had the chance to spend some time with a couple of youngsters undergoing chemo a few years ago. It's no picnic, but the nice thing about kids that young is that they're not old enough to worry.
This is absolutely gut-wrenching for the parents, however. A painful mixture of guilt, worry, frustration, worry, did I mention worry. Keep them in your prayers as much as Taylor.

Posted by: cload and daggar | January 24, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want to about Joe Gibbs the football coach. I think he is still the best coach in the league and the best coach the Redskins have ever and will ever have. But how can someone not like Joe Gibbs the man. Sometimes people who are very religious come off as arrogant or mislead, but not Joe. he always remains very humble. We make fun of his "guts out" phrases and stuff like that, but seriously, I cannot imagine a better person in the world. He cares for people and he is a genuinely great human being. I really hope everything works out for this young boy and his whole family. It's some tough stuff.

Posted by: Macaca Johnson | January 24, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Before Joe came back, George Michael would make his trips down to JGR in North Carolina. Coach would always be talking about his Grandbabies. This is very sad.

At least you know that if anybody has all the resources in this country to get the best medical care for his grandkids. Its Joe Gibbs. That's fact.

Posted by: :( | January 24, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Has it been mentioned in any of the previous threads that Russ Grimm is now a Cardinal?

Posted by: big pisano | January 24, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Big Pi, yes past thread has much Grimm talk....

This is heartbreaking news, All love, thoughts and respect to Gibbs and his family from me. Lets chill on the personal attacks for awhile.

F cancer!

Posted by: chris Larry | January 24, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I hate cancer more than the Cowboys. Stay strong St. Joe. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Posted by: Dorf | January 24, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Nothing is more heart wrenching than a child in pain. Every parents worst nightmare.

Posted by: Old School | January 24, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

A prayer...

God, be with the Gibbs family and comfort and strengthen them through this process. Let the innocence of children be the beacon of your hope and love and help them remember that no matter what happens we should see you as children do, without guile and with love unconditional.

Amen

Posted by: evan | January 24, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

it's always been my favorite part of hearing gibbs talk when he talks about his grandkids and how his face just lights up and radiates with joy. i'll pray for the little dude.

Posted by: dealer | January 24, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Prayers and thoughts are with Coach Gibbs and his family, especially Taylor.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | January 24, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

SMACK - Good Meeting. I will post what happened in the previous thread since I guess this is not the most appropriatte place.

Gibbs 2.3 - God speed.....

Also, While I was working and blogging my guts out, my wife called and said my daughter still wasn't feeling too good and made an appoinment for the doc the next day (today). Our copay for emergencty room is $200, so at 1st we thought we could wait until the next day. Then, I asked her to take her temp and it was 99.7, but you gennerally add a degree to that since we took it in her arm pit. So, that made it 100.7. So, I was like take her NOW to the hospital and I left work. Damn, the hospital dosen't care how bad you look and ho old you are, you still gotta wait your turn. Man, this was a packed emergency room.

After staying for an hour and with my wife and anticiapating a long wait with everyone, including my son; I decided w'll still go to the game and comeback. After the game was over, we hoped in the car and called my wifef at home. No answer. They are still at the freakin Hospital. When I got there, they only started to be seen 5-10 mins before I came. Man, I hate emergency rooms........

Anyway, my mother came over and is currently watching her. Her fever went as high as 102 while at the hospital. MAn, yesterday wasn't a good day for me.

With that being said...SMACK, I had a million things running through my head at the time you came up to me, but I'll post that in the previous thread and keep this one solemn (sp?)..

Posted by: 4th | January 24, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The full power of all of Redskins Nation's thoughts and prayers are with Taylor and the entire Gibbs family.

Posted by: Diesel | January 24, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

As I read the story about Taylor to my wife this morning, my sons jumped in and said--Dad, we are going to pray for him every night.

The power of prayer people. God bless Taylor and the Gibbs family.

Posted by: k Squared | January 24, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The power of prayer people. God bless Taylor and the Gibbs family.
Posted by: k Squared | January 24, 2007 10:46 AM

What should one do if he/she doesn't belive in either prayer or God?

Posted by: Samuel Snead | January 24, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

If you don't believe, you need to start believing!!!

Posted by: Ralph | January 24, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

samuel,

do you meditate?

You don't have to believe in God to believe in the power of positive thinking.

I pray/meditate this way; focus on the idea/person/subject/object in question and think positive, loving thoughts.

Now, I also ask for divine intervention but I think good will is enough to affect events.

I know, very new-age-ish, but I think it works.

Posted by: evan | January 24, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to sound too snarky here Samuel, but you come off as an unfeeling, insensitive p#ick.

This is not so much about whether you believe in either God or prayer. It is about a young child, battling a tough disease, who happens to have a famous grandfather.

Put away your 'what if' b.s., and think about how tough it is for any family to deal with this. You do believe in thinking, right?

Posted by: k Squared | January 24, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Wow, lets not turn on someone, I read that as an honest comment...chill out K squared

Sam Snead, I think Evan had a good idea, or you could donate some money in Taylor's name to a research or care hospital, or you could volunteer some time in his name

or

you could write a note sending your concerns,

or

Just some ideas...

Posted by: chris Larry | January 24, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"It is about a young child, battling a tough disease, who happens to have a famous grandfather."

What about a young child, battling a tough disease, who happens to not have a famous grandfather? No prayer needed from the masses for him/her?

Posted by: Earl Grimes | January 24, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Positive energy on this thread, folks!

That's what this difficult Gibbs family situation merits from us: positive energy, loving thoughts and deep feelings, however they may be expressed.

Put the bickering on the last thread or save it for the next; there are plenty of opportunities for venting spleen.

Everything positive up here! Loving and caring our guts out for the Gibbs family! Wishing them the very best.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 24, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Earl,

I'm sure we are all open and willing to pray for a young child, battling a tough disease, who happens to not have a famous grandfather....we just don't know about them.

Posted by: Lisa | January 24, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Earl, this blog community has always risen to the occasion when one of our folks reports a family health matter. Check the archives!

There is plenty of love to go around, however it may be expressed. Today we happen to be sharing it with the Gibbs family, none of whom may even read the blog. This is what we do, this is who we are.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | January 24, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Earl,

Nate is correct. We are a family and have sent out well wishes and prayers to family members of the blog. Just last month we sent out thoughts and prayers to sfskin when her father was sick. We should all just focus on positive energy right now.

Posted by: jm220 | January 24, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Earl,

Also, almost everyone here sent me condolences on the recent death of my mother.

Posted by: Lisa | January 24, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - I must have missed that!

I am sending my belated condelences to you. I def understand that can be hard since I lived through my grandmother dying on my mother not taking it good at all. I will say a small prayer for all you guys/gals since everyone is goes through something at some point in life...

Posted by: 4th | January 24, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

chris Larry,

Those are awesome ideas. here is a link for the leukemia research foundattion:

Posted by: evan | January 24, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

you can make your donation in honor of Taylor Gibbs and maybe use the fame factor to raise awareness.

Posted by: evan | January 24, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I heard about this while watching the AM news.

For anybody who has kids, it makes your heart skip a beat.

Life is fragile people.

Posted by: Silver Spring. | January 24, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

How unfortunate for the Gibbs Family. My heart and prayers go out to them.

If anyone can prepare himself and his family for this turn of events its our coach.

We could all do some "reflecting."

Hail Gibbs and Hail Skins.

Posted by: bbtp89854726 | January 24, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

As a new father, I can't imagine what must be going through the minds of those in the Gibbs family right now. All of the thoughts and prayers of the entire Redskins nation are with you and your family Mr. Gibbs.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 24, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 4th :-)

Posted by: Lisa | January 24, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Whatever it is that brings you hope and strength in your own life that is the force/faith that we all need to turn around and send out to the world. Today we send it out particularly to the Gibbs family.

I don't care if you believe in a higher power or not the core message of all belief systems that have survived is
love
compassion
justice
mercy
I think most of us can get behind those and I wish for those particularly for the Gibbs family today.

Posted by: sfskin | January 24, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope all Fins fans join me in praying for Taylor too. As a father of a little one I know I would be devastated in the same situation.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 24, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Gibbs family.
An obvious question: Isn't it a real possibility that depending on the child's prognosis Coach Gibbs might just opt out of his contract to spend more time with his family? And who could blame him? God first, family second, football third.
Again, all thoughts and prayers with this child. But also wondering what fans thoughts are on the above.

Posted by: alco | January 24, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

4th - how is your little one? hope everyone is doing well.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | January 24, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Much love to Joe Gibbs and his entire family. My best wishes are with you.

Posted by: WrongDog | January 25, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Gibbs will use this to save face and get his sorry lame butt out of football. He just cant compete in todays NFL. He needs to go back to motivational speech circuit and talk about how his god saved him. Best of luck Joe and dont let door hit you in your far right wing Christian a*s!

Posted by: vaherder | January 26, 2007 6:40 AM | Report abuse

I am so saddened to read your report on Joe Gibbs' grandson, Taylor, and the youngster's fight against leukemia. There is an old saying that God does not give us more than we can handle. Coach Gibbs, being a dedicated man of faith, surely understands this. He never has struck me aas believing in a "firetruck religion" -- meaning he is only religious when there is an emergency. He and his family will make it through this. I only hope little Taylor survives physically. This is an awful break at any age, but at 2?

Posted by: Rick Gunter | January 26, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

COACH, my thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by: Rooster | February 19, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse