Like NFL Europa, Bramlet's Out

Jason called in to say that the Redskins have said so long to Casey Bramlet. His best guest is that they'll use the roster spot for a kicker or punter, maybe even bringing in someone in time for today's practice. So if you were going to Redskins Park today to get your Hamburg Sea Devils (their ad slogan: It's not just a game, it's a party) stuff signed, you're out of luck.
There's always a chance Bramlet willl catch on somewhere else, but it's a bit late in the game.
As for the Redskins. this means they're down to four quarterbacks with Todd Collins and Jordan Palmer behind Jason Campbell and Mark Brunell. Since Palmer is eligible for the practice squad, it could be that the team won't make any other QB moves. It would be pretty shocking if they were to cut Collins now or in the near future.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 6, 2007; 12:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haiku Man Is Back
Next: Heyer Learning

Comments

Enjoy this INSIDER info, complainers!!!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 6, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping to get a Casey Bramlett update about his Haiku.

Posted by: Doosh | August 6, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Too bad. I was hoping he'd catch on as the #3. I don't get the feeling that Palmer will ever amount to much.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | August 6, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.

This probably won't be insider info by the time the complainers read.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 6, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Bramlet would catch on because he is from Wyoming, and so far the most famous person from here is Dick Cheney.

How did the Skins look on Saturday? Someone fill me in please...

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | August 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, there it is. Soup, Bruno, and Collins, with LBP on the practice squad. I feel so much better about things now.

But I did think there would be a young'un in the third position to be developed as Soup's backup for next year.

Maybe our coaching staff is so old that Brunell and Collins seem young to them.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 6, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Wait, is the practice squad the same as the taxi squad?

What does 'taxi squad' mean anyway?

Is this related to Police Squad?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 6, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Bring it complainers, who actually got to watch the scrimmage on TV.

Posted by: Stumped | August 6, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Matt Groening is quoted as saying "If Police Squad! had been made twenty years later, it would have been a smash. It was before its time. In 1982 your average viewer was unable to cope with its pace, its quick-fire jokes. But these days they'd have no problems keeping up, I think we've proved that."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 6, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess that also puts to rest any notion that they'll trade Brunnell to Atlanta...

Posted by: Skeletor | August 6, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

To be expected...would have liked to see # 8 get the ax though. He looked tremendously bad on Saturday. Just a note, I'm not sure if anyone else caught this gem, but, there was a play in the 11-on-11 drills where Brunell actually put his head down to take a sack before throwing the ball out of bounds...YOU CAN'T HIT THE QUARTERBACK! They were different color jerseys to avoid confusion. please cut him...please...

Posted by: JMax | August 6, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

What's up people, I heard this on the old fashioned radio about 30 minutes earlier at the start of Redskins lunch.

To be the first to get this inside info, all you needed was an FM reception. You can get that from a potato and a '77 Chevette, let alone a fancy pants computer.

Posted by: Complainers | August 6, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, I noticed your first posting this morning (on the previous thread) evoked a new thread. Were you wearing the turban?

From the media reports (after all, isn't that all there is for training camp), it was sounding like Palmer was the erratic one and that Bramlett was looking to be money. My hopes are dashed. That said, there is still time for Bramlett to pick it up with another team and become the next Bulger or Warner, plus several teams that have real needs at QB. Adios, Casey. There'll always be Hamburg.

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why they would cut Bramlet. From what I've seen and heard, LBP has looked like SJK. Oh well, it's not like either of them would get on the field anyway.

Posted by: Dman | August 6, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Bummer. I was pulling for Casey.

Anyway to the complainers - it's Redskins Insider not Redskins First With New Information.

Posted by: charlie | August 6, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The Ol' Ball Coach apparently not happy with high academic standards....

Posted by: 4-12 | August 6, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

You send a guy to Europe and ask him to prove that he deserves a spot on your roster. He does that. You boot him.

Rest in Peace NFL Europa, and good riddance.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | August 6, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Potato Chevette, there is a computer time lag from when a new thread is entered into the system and when it appears on-line. Cindy posted at 12:34pm and you report hearing this on the radio at 1:03 minus a half hour.

Maybe the Bramlett/Palmer decision came down to "which did we just intensively scout and spend one of what everyone says is a 'precious' draft pick on?" I haven't heard or read anything about Palmer having had ANY upside (other than his genetics ... and we all know how amazingly well LBM has followed in BBM's footsteps).

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Confession: I went to the noon story budget meeting. I would have had the Bramlet stuff up 20 minutes earlier if I'd been here when Jasno called from the car.

Posted by: Cindy | August 6, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Complainers are like ugly chicks - just ignore them and they will eventually go away.

Posted by: CMoney | August 6, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Broncos' first round pick, Jarvis Moss, the beast DE from Florida, who peeps here wanted to avoid b/c he had a bum knee with no cartilage in it ... went down this morning after spinning off an offensive tackle and crumbling on the grass ... and was carted off the field with a bad knee.

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

CMoney- At least with the ugly chicks, you can drink enough beer to, um... (SJK)

Posted by: 4-12 | August 6, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, right, CMoney. Bet you'll be one of the first on here complaining about Saturday night's game.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Complainers--

Jason tipped us last Friday -- three days before you heard it on the radio -- that Bramlet would be cut: "As for personnel, Coach Joe said he won't be able to find work for all 5 QBs, and today Casey Bramlet got the fewest reps - I maybe saw him hand the ball off twice"

As for cutting him, the coaches have had plenty of looks at him, a lot more than they have had at Palmer. With Palmer, if he's good enough, they can put him on the practice squad. With Bramlet, all they can do is to cut him, now (when he can still catch on somewhere else), or later (when he can't). What is the right thing to dom for him and for the team?

Posted by: KK | August 6, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CMoney | August 6, 2007 01:21 PM

That is so wrong but LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | August 6, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I still hope that they would look into trading Collins to Atlanta for a low round draft pick. His contract expires after this year, so he could be an experienced temporary backup QB for the Falcons (as opposed to starter), until the Vick situation is resolved. Redskins would realize $1.25 million in cap savings and get a draft pick. Atlanta would get a back up QB, with no salary cap implications after this year. But I would not expect anything higher than a 6th round pick though.

Posted by: M | August 6, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

That is so wrong but LMGO

But ugly chicks do go away.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 6, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

4-12, you mean "drive you home and drop you off"? Dude, they make the rockin world go round.

M, Falcons could be one of those teams that has a space for Bramlett ... or maybe Minnesota ... or Indianapolis (where Sorgi has game like Todd Collins has game).

Cindy, nice hyperlinks btw.

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

We needed the space so we can keep Brunell and Collins around longer. Oh yeah, Brunell just signed a new contract. 5 years, 30 mil. 10 mil bonus. We might have to cut Sean Taylor to cover it. I'm sure you all understand.

-Karl

Posted by: Andyman | August 6, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Bad dog, Karl.

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

sween- I thought that was 'fat bottom girls'?

Posted by: 4-12 | August 6, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

4-12, closest I could think. When it comes to FCs, its one of those things where I need to defend ... like orphans, the homeless, the Browns, and the otherwise helpless. On balance, in my range of experience, I've always been treated better by fat chicks than hotties. For FCs, I got their proverbial backs.

Posted by: dcsween | August 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If Casey doesn't have a future with the 'Skins, then it's good to let him out now and have a chance to catch on somewhere else. They've never really given him a decent shot to show that he can do. I think his stint in the last NFL Europa season proved he can play. I don't know what else the guy can do. I think he's more than proven he can be a capable backup. Maybe he needs to be 10 years older to have a chance with the Skins....

Posted by: DCPoke | August 6, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. I must admit I was hoping for a youth movement, where Bramlet would be third QB this year and Palmer relegated to the Practice Squad. Then, next year, Collins and Brunell would set forth for the Elephant Graveyard and Bramlet and Palmer would be 2nd and 3rd QB.

It appears my hopes and designs in that regard have gone the direction of an ignored ugly chick. Now I shall have to set forth and undertake to be overly kind to the next unattractive woman I meet - just to balance the Karma of this bitter event.

Posted by: Ahab | August 6, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Collins should #2, brunell #3/coach

Posted by: chillsonic | August 6, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey lets cut a guy with who is a proven winner with experience to keep a old man who has never played and a kid that is not good beyond name recignition. BAD MOVE

Posted by: Fat Bob | August 6, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

al saunders has never wanted bramlet on the squad, it was pretty apparent with his buddy todd collins on the squad, good luck to the old farts club, and hopefully casey will be picked up somewhere else where he will get his deserved shot.

Posted by: wyoradio | August 7, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs only likes old losers

Posted by: Russell | August 11, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse