Lions' Ndamukong Suh talks Redskins, transition to NFL

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has been a force during the Lions' first six games. The rookie already has 4 1/2 sacks and has dominated opposing offensive lines while regularly drawing double teams. Suh will be a top priority for the Redskins' offensive line Sunday at Ford Field.

The Redskins "have a front line that wants to go lateral and allow their running back to make reads in the run game," Suh said this week in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "They are also a team that wants to give their quarterback, Donovan [McNabb], some time to drop back, get his reads in and make some deep plays."

Suh, an all-American at Nebraska, was college football's top interior lineman last season. He is making a smooth transition to the NFL.

"It has been a pretty good transition. I don't think that it has been a rough one at all. It has been fairly smooth," he said. "It is easier for me to say that because I have friends in similar positions that have gone ahead of me and allowed me to seep into their transition. It made it a lot easier for myself."

Although Suh has performed extremely well overall, "I don't know if I did better than I expected. I am definitely happy with where I am at but I am definitely not satisfied by any means.

"There is a lot of football left and we have only played six games. There is a lot more work that I can improve on in my game. I did some good things, and I haven't done the best in some situations, but that is all a part of learning and becoming a veteran."

When Lions Coach Jim Schwartz was the Tennessee Titans' defensive coordinator, he designed a 4-3 scheme that helped Albert Haynesworth become a two-time all-pro player. Suh plays the same position that Haynesworth played in the same scheme Schwartz used in Tennessee.

"I definitely had an opportunity to watch the guy that dominated in a very similar system, really the exact same system, coming from Coach Schwartz down in Tennessee when he was there," Suh said. "You have another great guy, defensive lineman [Kyle] Vanden Bosch, come from that exact same system, so I can lean on and learn from him. It has definitely been great to be able to watch film during camp, before the season started and during OTAs to get a good feel of how to play and do certain things in the scheme."

Suh, listed at 6 feet 4 and 307 pounds, is not the Lions' biggest defensive lineman. But he is the team's strongest player at the position, Schwartz said.

"It is something that it is a lot of God-given ability to be strong. I am just thanking my parents for my genes," Suh said. "It is definitely good that I don't have to be 330 pounds or 315 pounds to be strong and to be able to hold my own in the interior line.

"I am able to have naturally strong legs and upper body [strength], but it also deals a lot with technique. It is knowing how to play, knowing how to play against certain blocks, allowing your body to be in the right position and knowing how to use the other offensive lineman against themselves."

By Jason Reid  | October 30, 2010; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Lions injury report: Questionables expected to play
Next: Ryan Torain's success "takes all 11 guys" on offense, Kyle Shanahan says

Comments

FIRST to say that I still wish we'd traded Haynesworth to the Lions for the pick that they used to take Suh. That would have been win-win for both teams, except the Lions.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Kids a monster. Can we get his clone??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This guy can give us problems on Sunday.

He's gonna use Lichtensteiger and Rabach as trampolines to bounce on McNabb.

This might be a good game to have Dockery activated, b/c he might be the only guy physically able to maul w/ Suh.

Posted by: p1funk | October 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 11:26 AM
-----------------------------------------
Well, Haynesworth poked the pooch on his trade value in the offseason. Maybe if he behaves and plays well for the rest of the year he will increase his trade value and the Redskins can move him in the offseason. They're not going to ever get a first round pick for the guy, but maybe they can walk away from the Haynesworth debacle with something to show for it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, it is because of defensive tackles and nose tackles like Suh that we need something more than Rabach at center. It has been frustrating over the years to watch him get pushed all over the place when we play a team with some brutes in the middle. I wonder if they ever tried Dockery at center...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hayny will play his butt off for the rest of the yr, then not come to camp n we trade him for a 4th

I kno he's worth more when dominate but nobodys gonna give up a top 3 rnd pick for the randy moss of defense

We need a stud NT, I want a big huge 320+ bowling ball wrecking crew
I think this draft we take a bigg bigg guy to plug in the middle of our D

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder...

...why the Redskins were in panic mode about running backs after revealing Chad Simpson was injured. Simpson has only touched the ball twice as a Redskin and those two times were on kick returns... My gut tells me Simpson will be playing a bigger role in the coming weeks - possible tomorrow...

...why the Lions are the only NFL team to have two tight ends each with over 20 receptions and yet the Redskins Cooley - Davis tandem are better than the Lions' guys.

...why Brandon Banks played like a rookie last week. Has Danny Smith's coaching finally taken hold?

...why the Redskins haven't run the end around with Banks.

...why the Redskins didn't invite Anthony Alridge back for a tryout. He started out with Shanahan and seems to have the kind of speed Shanahan wants.

...why they don't let Mike Sellers run the football more. Teams aren't looking for it. He's only had two carries all season.

...why they don't throw to Torain more. The guy's bio says he is an excellent receiving threat and I remember in the preseason he seemed to do well with this. Having a bruising runner like that in space would have to be something Shanny Jr. would want to see...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they ever tried Dockery at center...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 30, 2010 11:43 AM

He's barely serviceable as a guard...not sure why he'd accel at center. Seems to me, big and strong is just about all Dock has going for him at this point...

I sure would love to have a guy like Suh...that guy would be nice at RDE in the 3-4 and on passing downs in the spot AH is playing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 30, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Browns our guy on the right for now. He hasn't looked like a probowler but dudes a year out of the league n still dealin with injury

This yr is a wash for him too. Nxt yr hell be healthy hopefully n have a yr experience holding down the right

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 30, 2010 11:16 AM |

why folks are high on a player that's working his way through injury is beyond me. why don't we trade more of our picks for injured players based on how many pro bowls they've been to. what kind of logic is that ? seems more like a gamble on a player with an injury that is hard to come back from than rebuilding

Posted by: hessone | October 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

seems more like a gamble ...

Posted by: hessone | October 30, 2010 1:02 PM

Every trade for every player, every draft pick, every free agent is a gamble.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Well let me try to bring it down to earth so that you don't feel like it is "beyond" you.

Jamaal Brown has been a serviceable starter, and he's playing "OK" with one good hip.

Thus, if he's able to play "OK" with one good hip, it stands to reason that there's a good shot he'll be able to play "very well" with 2 good hips...make sense?

Posted by: p1funk | October 30, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Every trade for every player, every draft pick, every free agent is a gamble.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 1:11 PM |

to a certain degree beep, but if we trade for players coming off of previous injury that's more of a gamble. seems like common sense

Posted by: hessone | October 30, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 30, 2010 1:25 PM

Let me offer more common sense hessone. When you trade for a player coming off an injury, you pay a lower price. That's how you can get a two-time pro-bowl left tackle for only a 3rd or a 4th round pick.

They're all gambles. No sure things in the NFL personnel business.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

They're all gambles. No sure things in the NFL personnel business.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

No doubt. And yet, some seem to have so much more "luck" than others.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 30, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse