Live: Mike Shanahan news conference at combine

Mike Shanahan is speaking to the media at 10:45 a.m. ET from the combine in Indianapolis. Rick Maese and Jason Reid will tweet highlights on site, and Cindy Boren will chime in from D.C. As soon as it starts, we'll show the live tweet stream below ...

More tweets from

By Jon DeNunzio  |  February 26, 2010; 10:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Colt Brennan faces uncertain future with Redskins
Next: Shanahan expects Campbell to return to Redskins

Comments

Colt sucks the dude been a gimp ever since UGA used his hips as a trampoline in the bowl game.
Dont get rid of CR22 he is the ONLY player in the secondary that can actually tackle!

Posted by: Stu27 | February 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

don't blame blache...don't even mention anyone else but point the blame ALL at himself....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure in 5 seasons the coaches never told Carlos about been aware of the double move. Its totally their fault he was ill prepared and had to figure out for himself how to play man coverage and learned that the only way (and apparently taught Landry as they discuss strategy on the sidelines- still my favorite moment from last season btw) is to jump every thing you see in front of you despite the fact you're lined up 15 yards off the ball.

that's sarcasm btw LS.

That's the part that killed me in watching them, the corners are consistently in man 10 to 15 yards off the ball, and the safeties are 30 yards deep, yet they think they need to "jump routes" in front of them. If you're going to be aggressive and jump routes, then play press coverage!!!!! they've backed you off for a reason so you don't get beat deep, but those two muppets still figured out ways to get beat deep consistently.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

This would narrow it down to Clausen vs. Bryan Bulaga. I'd go with Bryan Bulaga simply because I don't want to shell out 70 million dollars to a guy that has size issues and various other questions. If it had been a better prospect like Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker then I'd take him. This is very close so I wouldn't be mad if they took Clausen here.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

or loosely translated, I consider myself a scout, have already determined that the QBs next year are better and I love me some JC.......

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Vic1,
I don’t think you are going to get anyone up here arguing that JC17 is an elite QB who can carry a team on his back. It’s just that your same old argument every other day has become more than tiresome. We all get it; you think he sux. But you have really brought it to an unforeseen level of hating up here, and it is very grating. You are so far beyond beating a dead horse up here that we are all pretty sick of it, and see you as a broken record, with no sort of credibility, only an anti JC agenda.. I’m not even going to argue with you about how there is still a possibility that he might not be as bad as you proclaim; I know that it’s useless to argue with you about this. Dude, just drop your anti JC argument for a while and see how things play out. There’s plenty of other stuff to talk about.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 10:34 AM |
**********************************88888
Dlhazel.. I dont believe Vic has a "hatred" agenda here for JC.. I have never seen Vic mention "hate" or anything on that level??

If that is the case everyone on this board has "hatred" agendas for any draft prospect they dont want the Skins to draft.

I think the reason there is a JC vs Collins lighting rod here is that it was so obvious to Redskins fans and the media (Collinsworth and Simms) that Collins was the better QB towards the end of the 4-12 season. One of my favorite blogs out there is "Collins Could of Saved Zorn's Job".. No kidding it really exists..

As last season got mathematically away from the Skins... the only reason JC continued to Start was to maintain a decent RFA status as a "Starting QB". What compensation would the Skins receive otherwise, if JC was sitting on the bench? Probably the difference between a 1st or 2nd round compensation to a 4th or worse.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

didn't baluga get measured at the combine as having very short arms...thats what I thought I read last night, as well as they said was what plagued Robert Gallery.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 26, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I hope that means we go o line with the first two picks.

Posted by: jm220 | February 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Chris Russel was discussing his conversation with JC17 from yesterday this morning on the junkies....

Russel thinks the Skins need to offer JC17 a 2 year deal to put more confidence in him since he has to constantly hear about trade rumors.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Shanahan expects a lot of competition at the quarterback position and he expects Jason Campbell to "be here.""

Thank the LORD! that's good enough for me, if we bring in 1 or 2 new QBs and open it up to a real competition and JC wins it, that's fine with me, but if he's anointed as the automatic starter again I'll vomit.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:46 AM |

SNGM,
Just using the term “hating” like we all do up here…..I have no idea whether or not Vic1 truly hates Campbell as a man, but the sheer number of anti JC posts he puts up here would indicate an obsession with trashing the guy at every opportunity. That’s all he ever posts about. I wasn’t even commenting on how I feel about Campbell vs Collins; just the fact that Vic1 is losing any sort of credibility up here that he may or may not have had because all he ever does is trash the guy at every opportunity.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 26, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

BEans - His arms were an inch and a qaurter longer than Gallery's....qaulifies him as not having short arms according to the 'experts'...

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I am not a hater. I'm sure he's a fine and upstanding citizen... a good son... a true gentleman and a sincere friend to many. But for some unfathomable reason, he just can't seem to get it done on the football field. I'm not saying it as much as he is -- with five (and counting) seasons of failure here proving the point. I also sincerely wish him every success ahead -- but somewhere else please.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 26, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

loosely translated as zjfr2 is butthurt because people don't agree with him so he's going to call us all poopyheads and go home and suck his thumb. I'll call the whaabulance for you.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 10:55 AM

That's all I think anyone can ask for, even JC. Any other highlights from the tweets, as I am being annoyingly blocked? Tere'll be no Christmas cards for my IT team this year.

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

But Gibbs couldnt stop talking about how great Collins was.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 10:32 AM

He was great in practice--I mean, we are talkin' 'bout practice. Practice. Practice. It wasn't even a game--we're talkin' 'bout practice---
Posted by: BigE44
_______
No it was after Collins won a regular season GAME!!!.... "On December 6, 2007, Collins replaced Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell who left with a dislocated patella tendon. Taking charge of a team depleted by injuries Collins completed 15 of 20 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns, leading the Redskins to a 24-16 victory. Collins won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performance against the Chicago Bears. Coach Joe Gibbs was particularly pleased with the performance saying "I don't know that I've ever had a better performance coming off the bench. Ever."

Posted by: sovine08 | February 26, 2010 10:46 AM
++++++++++++++===================++++

Not "haten" but, Collins was NFL Player of the month and beat Super Bowl winning Gints (twice Eli's passing yardage), Vikes, and Cowboys (also Chicago) who were all in must win games for their playoffs positions.
Collins saved Gibbs 2.0 legacy.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

RickMaese -- While QBs arent throwing here at Combine, Shanahan says he'll attend pro days himself and watch prospects in person

--------

That's fine. I just don't want to see Dan Snyder standing next to him at the Pro Days. Snyder needs to spend more time fixing Johnny Rocket's.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

that's the best you got really?

its like watching JC in the 4th quarter of close game.....firing blanks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

INDIANAPOLIS — All eyes seem to be on the quarterbacks at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and their measurements were just posted. Here’s how the “Big Four” measured up:

Sam Bradford: 6-foot-4 1/4, 236 pounds, 34 3/8-inch arm length, 9 1/2-inch hand span
Jimmy Clausen: 6-foot-2 5/8, 222 pounds, 30 3/4-inch arm length, 9-inch hand span
Colt McCoy: 6-foot-1 1/8, 216 pounds, 31-inch arm length, 9 3/8-inch hand span
Tim Tebow: 6-foot-2 3/4, 236 pounds, 31 3/4-inch arm length, 10 1/8-inch hand span

official combine measurables in.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 26, 2010 10:58 AM
------------------------------------------
Yes, but what you are really looking for in an offensive tackle are knuckles dragging on the floor - we're talking about Reed Richards stretchy arms with the Incredible Hulk's biceps. A jutting mandible and excessive body hair rounds out the profile of an ideal... oh, wait a minute. I'm describing Sasquatch...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

J. Rockets is F-kn nasty! I'd rather eat hospital food.

Posted by: bhoang888 | February 26, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Colt McCoy: 6-foot-1 1/8, 216 pounds, 31-inch arm length, 9 3/8-inch hand span

official combine measurables in.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM

Clausen just moved up the board because he's taller than 6 feet. I'm glad Bradford put on some weight. What about Pike?

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

oh, wait a minute. I'm describing Sasquatch...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Sasquatch is that the only game film scouts can get of him is grainy and out of focus.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

that's the best you got really?

its like watching JC in the 4th quarter of close game.....firing blanks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was up all night long giving your lady my best. That explains why I'm firing blanks this morning.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

beeps....

Bradford and Clausen both are bigger than I thought they were, Kiper made it sound like Clausen was 5'11 and Bradford was 6'

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

BEEP

Posted by: mattylight | February 26, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Colt McCoy: 6-foot-1 1/8, 216 pounds, 31-inch arm length, 9 3/8-inch hand span

official combine measurables in.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse
___________
Well, that answers the "Clausen is too short" question, doesn't it? If anything, Colt McCoy is a little short, but I don't think he has the potential to be a very good NFL QB anyway.

Clausen's arm strength and leadership ability is what concerns me. Both seem to be lacking.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

beepers jeepers

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@ #4 you pick a GREAT not good player. may not be able to pass on "MC-SUH". Hopeful we can trade out. I want King Okung or Bradford looks like neither will be under the tree this year. SUCKS!

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

that's the best you got really?

its like watching JC in the 4th quarter of close game.....firing blanks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

oooooooh let's get off mom's since I just got off your's.......really PA? that's where your going now

my dad could beat up your dad

your momma's so fat.......

amazingly good stuff you sure told me.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 26, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM

Oh, stop. You've gone from bad to worse. If you're gonna hate on Angry Old Man Jack, he deserves better hate than this.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

pass on clausen for two reasons. 1) reminds me of a Ryan Leaf scenerio, Indy pics Manning because of character issues. and SD end up with Mr. BIG HEAD. 2) wasn't that long ago Clevland chose another "NFL READY" QB from ND. Sorry no Bradford I'll wait for next year crop and hope we have a top five pic again? this sucks!

Posted by: sthai75 | February 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"If it had been a better prospect like Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker then I'd take him"

Those are two talented QBs, but better than Bradford? Only when you include the medical risk. Locker's very athletic and Mallet has a cannon, but neither is a polished QB, and both Bradford and Clausen are. Not that I think either one of them is ready for the big-time yet, either.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse