London Fletcher On Sean

Dan Steinberg is up in Buffalo reporting on this story from there, and took part in the conference call Redskins LB London Fletcher did with the Buffalo reporters. London played for the Bills from 2002-2006 and was a very popular player there.

He, like Sean, is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, who was at the hospital with the Taylor family. Rosenhaus texted Fletcher with some good news Monday night from the hospital.

London said:
":Prior to going to sleep on Monday night you hear the encouraging news, Drew Rosenhaus texted me and told me he had very encouraging news, that Sean had squeezed the doctor's or the nurse's hand, there was some other movement, and you know so many people have been praying for him. So you go to sleep saying ok he's going to pull through, here's this miracle that we've been praying for.

"I even looked at it with the Kevin Everett situation, I know a lot of people were praying with him and seeing the miracle that happened to him, so I'm thinking ok here's God with another miracle. Then Drew texted me at 6 in the morning and said Sean passed away, that hit me like a ton of bricks. You just try to see how God can use Sean's death for his good in a sense, don't let Sean's death be in vain. At this time we've got to lean on our faith, I know I do and others around us, just lean on our faith.

"There's a grieving, there's a healing part of it. For me, my faith is what I'm leaning on, I'm leaning on our teammates, us as teammates are leaning on each other. The family needs us to be there for them. It's a process."

Fletcher was told that Buffalo guard Derrick Dockery called Taylor his best teammate ever:
"That would be pretty accurate. He and Aneous Williams, those were two guys that stood out to me in my 10 year career. He was really a team guy, he would take scout team reps as a defensive guy to give the offensive team looks. He would take probably 90 percent of the reps because he was a team guy. Some of the things about him that were portrayed in the media were not the same guy that I knew, from when I met him in April until I last saw him on Saturday in the training room. He was an awesome guy to me. "

Fletcher was also asked if seeing some old friends from Buffalo this weekend might help him through this ordeal.
"I'm not sure. Obviously when you see people you haven't seen for a long time, you get a smile on your face, so that'll help me. There's some guys I want to see. But I just don't know, this is uncharted territory for us as a team, as a professional football player. It's a difficult process that we're going through, but we're working to get through it."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 28, 2007; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Update (Disclaimer)
Next: Players Heading Home

Comments

So I've decided to switch some of the lyrics around to the Redskins fight song to honor #21. If anyone's offended..get over it. :)

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Sean Taylor!
He's on the Warpath!
Fight for the 2-1!
Run or pass or score - he hit a lot more!
Beat'em, Swamp'em, Touchdown - left opponents soar.
Fight on Fight on Till you have one Number Twenty One - Rah! Rah! Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Sean Taylor!
He's on the Warpath!
Fight for late 2-1!

R.I.P. Sean Taylor. You'll be missed.

Posted by: Jonamath | November 28, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

We all are feeling the pain right now London.

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok repost from last thread....Jason stop it! haha:

Listen, Pedro came to RP and gave a heartfelt speech to the Skins, and basically told them to go out there and win the rest of the games and get in the playoffs. Giving them permission to go out there and play their asses off.

Pretty damn sure Sean would want it that way.

I can't imagine how hard that first game will be for the players, but I can only imagine that the last thing Sean would want is for his team to not play or play with heavy hearts. Like I said for some that may be nearly impossible, especially so soon.

Now winning all 5 may be unrealistic, and winning or loosing is somewhat irrelevant, as long as they go out there and play with heart, play hard, be physical, play with passion and emotion...seems like that would be one of the best way's to honor his memory.

And I totally understand players, coaches, fans that just might not be read for that. I totally felt that way yesterday...even hoping they would reschedule the game. But I spent all day crying reflecting...communing with other fans out at RP, cried a few more times this morning...and probably will a bit more tomorrow...def will for the moment of silence at the game tomorrow night. But time heals all wounds, for some it takes longer and every grieving process is different.

But I think a great way to acclerate that process and really get to also honor Sean, is to get out there and play hard!

PS. Darrel Green and Art Monk both in the final list of 26 to be considered for HOF...Seriously got to get both of them in this year damn it...Do it for Sean!

Posted by: rbfett | November 28, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

When they drafted Sean, everyone thought they would take Kellen Winslow, Jr. ("The Chosen One" who, in this case, wasn't). They were criticized by many for choosing Taylor, and there was a lot of explanation after the fact. One of the things they mentioned is that they'd also brought in Vilma, who the Jets chose, and they asked Vilma "Who's the leader of the Miami defense." He said "Sean Taylor."

Turns out that he's the leader of the Redskins and he has a far-larger presence around the NFL than maybe anyone had realized before he was murdered.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 28, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm still in shock... But when my father passed when I was a kid in highschool I played in a football game the next night. The coaches tried to hold me back due to me maybe needing space, time, whatever but playing that game was the single most important thing to me at that time. I don't think I've ever played a more emotionally charged game in my life. I think that is what our boys will do on Sunday at 1pm EST for Sean because that's what he wants, and he'll be shining down on us in our moment of triumph with a big smile on his face.

RIP #21

Posted by: P00P | November 28, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh and by the way...any of you lucky enough to go to the game on Sunday...you best be yelling your ass off on every single Defensive play, and make sure you stand up jump around and your your section to yell their asses off too...Every Defensive Play!

Make it so the Bills O can't even hear themselves think!

Posted by: rbfett | November 28, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse