Shanahan: Fletcher's 200th straight game 'amazing'

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan studied the Redskins closely during his year out of football, analyzing game film and observing players.

Inside linebacker London Fletcher was the Redskins' most impressive player on film. And Shanahan's high opinion of Fletcher has only improved since Shanahan officially took control of the football operation in January.

Barring unforeseen developments, Fletcher will appear in his 200th consecutive game Sunday against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Fletcher's longevity and durability are among the traits that make him such a special player, Shanahan said.

"To me, it's amazing that he has been able to play in 200 games, especially because the level he plays at," Shanahan said. "He comes every Sunday.

"He's ready to play, he prepares. It's really a compliment to him and his conditioning, and to know what he has done over the last 200 games to play at the level and be consistent."

Fletcher's consistency and leadership have been key in Shanahan's successful 4-3 start, Shanahan said.

"If you have a London Fletcher on your team, you're in pretty good shape as far as a football coach," Shanahan said. "He is a natural leader, he is a worker. [He] puts all the responsibility for performing on himself.

"He prepares better than anybody I've been around. If you have too many guys like that then you wouldn't need coaches. I'm glad we don't have too many of them."

By Jason Reid  | October 28, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  London Fletcher, Mike Shanahan  | Tags:  Detroit Lions, London Fletcher, Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan isn't surprised Redskins are underdogs vs. Lions
Next: Lions' big moment seems like a long time ago

Comments

I love Fletcher!

Posted by: skins83 | October 28, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

'Bout time RI showed up on this...Fletch is first class and deserves far more credit than he gets.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

File this away for the end of the season folks, because my crystal ball says Fletcher will be released or traded after this year. Haslett needs a taller linebacker that can shed blockers and get over top of defenders when need be. I love Fletcher, but he isn't the best fit for this defense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Fletch is probably my favorite player on the team right now.

I have not really had a favorite since Joe Salave'a

Posted by: OG_Barno | October 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Fletch is getting up there in age. I wish he could be 10 years younger. The consummate professional.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM

Sounds like your crystal ball is broken...you don't ditch a productive player because he's short. I mean, really...this is 100x worse than the McNabb talk...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM

I would disagree. He might not be the prototypical 3-4 backer, but I have no doubt that Shanny and Has still love him, and you don't always and only fit personnel to scheme. Sometimes you fit scheme to personnel, especially when you have a natural leader and hard working professional like Fletch.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

LFB has survived this long, its amazing. And why, because even though the guy hits everyone that has a ball in their hands, he doesn't go for cheep shots that result in his own injury or the opponents.

Play with class, get it back. Stay on the field longer.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 28, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

You do realize that right next to LL30's name, Fletch has been neck and neck with him, as one of the leading taclers in the NFL. In fact if you look at the top 20, three Skins show up. LL30, Fletch, Mcintosh, and guess what DHALL.

I think we already have London's replacement in Perry Riely.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Alex. Dude is a straight baller, size be damned.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse
________

I think that you are as wrong as wrong could be with this opinion. Just 'cause Fletcher is 2 or 3 inches shorter than what the NFL draft guide says the prototypical 3-4 MLB should be doesn't mean that he's not doing the job. I was a little skeptical at first, too, but Fletcher is bringing it every game. Shanny might bring along a replacement slowly (Perry Riley? don't know), but I don't think Fletch is going anywhere for a couple of years at least.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | October 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Fletch is a flat-out tackling machine!

Posted by: joeboggs | October 28, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

There was a lot of idle, nonsensical talk this off season about how difficult it would be for Fletcher to make the transition.

But anybody who watches the games, rather than reading the articles, can see the major positive impact Fletcher has on this defense. Like a motivated Haynesworth, he makes every defender around him better.

On top of that, he's the ultimate leader. He'll be here STARTING for years to come.

He's even more fun to key on than Landry when watching the defense. Try it. You'll be smiling the whole time, knowing he's a Redskin.

Posted by: belly_kilmer | October 28, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

belly,

The arguments were coming from a bunch of people on a blog that, don't know sh_t about football but how to watch it and drink during it. I include myself in that, if anyone on this blog actually thinks they know more about football players then Shanny or Haslett then they have been drinking a little to much.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 28, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 10:27 AM
-----------------------------------------
It's not just about height. Note that I said "... that can shed blockers". This is not Fletcher's strong suit. Haslett has adjusted by moving Fletcher back from the line of scrimmage, but this is a compromise. He would really like a guy who could use his long arms for swim moves and to push off of defenders. Please note that I am not saying Fletcher is a bad player. The guy is freaking awesome, but like Andre Carter, this defense does not play to his strengths.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Bad-mouthing London Fletcher is blasphemy.

He will NEVER retire! Even if there's a fire!

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 28, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

You can all think waht you will, but neither Fletcher or McIntosh are good fits for this defense. We could see both of them replaced in the offseason. It is not just about Fletcher's size, but I will tell you, when you are playing close to the line of scrimmage having long arms is a real asset. It helps you extend of offensive linemen, use swim moves, come off blocks. Fletcher is fantastic in space, but you get him near the line of scrimmage and he is not as effective. Haslett has adjusted the scheme to accomodate this but it is not what he would want. Haslett would like seven guys in the box that can slide off blocks from offensive linemen or jam them to screw up blocking schemes. Everywhere else but the middle he has this.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous Talk!

Like London said in his introductory conference, "Last time I checked, holes open up wide...not tall." The guy is a beast. And I heard Troy Aikman's hired ass-kisser, Joe Buck, give it his best shot (a feable one, at best) to downplay his abilities by saying he makes plays he's not supposed to make beacuse of his smarts. You know what? Those "smarts" are what make him a perfect fit in any defense. There is no substitute for him, period.

Posted by: JHvet1 | October 28, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Pro Bowl voting has begun. LF deserves to go on first ballot, not some back up b.s. role. If Coach S. doesn't keep him on staff when he retires, he's making a great mistake. Who else would you want mentoring young players, and coaching experienced players. Proud that London Fletcher is a Redskin! Speaking for myself, I'll take all the "short arm" Fletchers on my defense I can get. If you don't have the heart or the ability of a London Fletcher, arm length doesn't mean spit.

Posted by: MTalleyMon | October 28, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse