Posted at 9:55 AM ET, 12/14/2010

With Favre streak over, London Fletcher tied for most consecutive games played

By Jason Reid

Informed by a reporter in the locker room earlier this season that Minnesota Vikings Brett Favre could miss a game because of an injury, Redskins inside linebacker London Fletcher chuckled and then said, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Well, weeks later, Favre did sit out a game, missing Monday's 21-3 loss to the New York Giants because of a shoulder problem, ending his NFL-record streak of consecutive starts at 297. And with Favre out of the lineup for the first time since 1992, Fletcher is now tied for the longest streak with 205 straight games played.

He shares the new top mark with Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber. Fletcher also has made 158 consecutive starts.

In his 13th season, the Redskins' defensive co-captain continues to be the model of consistency. He has been effective on the field during the team's difficult transition from a 4-3 defense to a base 3-4 scheme, and still is a vocal leader in the locker room.

In 13 games, Fletcher is among the NFL leaders with 113 tackles, including 73 unassisted. He has 1 1/2 sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception and 11 passes defensed.

Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett have praised Fletcher, in his fourth season with the Redskins, for his many contributions in the first season of their new program. And now Fletcher is the NFL's new iron man, albeit a title he shares with Manning and Barber.

By Jason Reid  | December 14, 2010; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  London Fletcher
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention
Next: Donovan McNabb: No plan to replace me with Rex Grossman last week

Comments

I would say Favre is safe from Fletch catching him.. Or, we'll have a 42 year old Linebacker.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 14, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

JUSTIN BLACKMON!

MSM and Jacoby Jones have done themselves no favors this season in a contract year.

Posted by: p1funk |
___________________________________________

No. I don't like Justin Blackmon. I think he has red flags all over him. On and off the field. Julio Jones is a great talent, a great leader, and you don't have to worry about him off the field.

MSW and Jacoby can be had at a cheap rate. They don't have to be the best, but they are an upgrade from Roydell Williams. I still think they will give Malcolm Kelly a chance to be a 2nd WR next to Julio. Anothny Armstrong is the deep threat. And Jacoby and MSW can score in the red zoen. We need guys like that. Plus Jacoby can return kicks sometimes, which can allow us to put Banks on Offense more.

Posted by: roccoskins | December 14, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Potential FA targets:

DeAngelo Williams – CAR

Michael Bush – OAK

Ahmard Hall - (U)

Brian Leonard – CIN

Brandon Stokley - (U)

Leroy Harris – TEN

Davin Joseph – TB

Jonathan Goodwin – NO (U)

Richie Incognito – MIA (U)

Casey Wiegmann – KC (U)

Ronald Fields – DEN (U)

Jay Alford - (U)

Chris Hoke – PIT (U)

Travis Johnson – SD (U)

Lamarr Woodley – PIT

David Harris – NYJ

Shawne Merriman – BUF (U)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

ah forget it...what am I doing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 10:08 AM |

may as well just bang your head against the wall...same result.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 14, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I feel kinda bad for the younger fans, who never witnessed Skins dominating the league during Gibbs 1.0.

Now is a time more like the period just before Gibbs, when the Over-the-Hill Gang was spent and Jack Pardee guided the Skins to solid mediocrity.

When Gibbs took over the Skins in '81, I was just about to enter high school. That means I got to cheer for a winning team that ranged from competitive to dominant throughout my high school and college years. My frieds from other cities often cheered for the Skins with me, because their teams were out of the playoffs while the Skins kept going through January.

I wish I could offer younger fans a strong endorsement of the team's direction.

I believe Gibbs 2.0 actually set this team up nicely back on the right track--it's amazing that in a few short years, almost all of his fingerprints have been removed from the team.

Dan Snyder, who is just a couple of years older than me, claims he grew up as a Skins fan. Maybe he wasn't actually watching the games. What other explanation is there for him ignoring the previous blueprint for success?

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 14, 2010 10:08 AM

Truth be told, I'd say Fletcher's streak is slightly more impressive since he plays a position that actually has contact on every play. Fletch is easily one of the most underrated players in the NFL...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for handling my light work, PA...I made a resolution to put hess on the ITA list, but every time I get out he keeps pulling...me...back...in...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 9:58 AM

That's what I'm here for. I try...but just can't look away...

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Hit submit to soon. Here is the whole list. The Free Agent pool will be flooded, even if the best get locked up.

Lots to choose from in the DT/LB/OLine range.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Lots to choose from in the DT/LB/OLine range.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Potential FA targets:

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 10:14 AM

I think I just heard someones head explode.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about this draft. If we can get Mankins in FA, then grab a QB. But I think we still need a center.

I think building both lines is still priority 1.

And Hess calls me Hess because my name is Hess.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I think it will be interesting to see if Shanny drafts a QB in the 1st round. I really think he wanted Sam Bradford last year. Had we not needed a Left Tackle I think he would have attempted to move up and get him. Since this is a pretty good QB draft, I will be interested in seeing if he falls in love with one. QB trumps all. You just cannot win in this league without a good one.

I now do not like the Mc5 trade, but I understand it. B/c who else could we have picked up? There was no shot for Sam Bradford. JC8 would have sucked...Maybe Colt McCoy, but he doesn't really fit our scheme, since he doesn't have a strong arm.

I know he likes Luck, but there is not chance for him. My bets is on Mallett. If he is there when we pick, I would take him over Julio Jones.

Posted by: roccoskins | December 14, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

And Hess calls me Hess because my name is Hess.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM

LOL

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM

Good stuff.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM

A-friggin'-men. Couldn't have said it better myself.

That's what chaps my ass above all else...for a guy who supposedly rooted hard for the Skins growing up (I'm one more belt buckle story away from taking a belt to his face), Snyder sure has moved this team as far away from the blueprint for success as he could. If you truly admired Gibbs and the Hogs, why wouldn't you try to recreate that? You loved Bobby Beathard and his draft acumen...why not search high and low for the next Bobby B? It's almost like he's trying to run the Redskins like Jerry Jones does the Cowpies...unacceptable in Washington.

I'm not sure if the Skins ever had a legit shot at winning a SB with Gibbs 2.0, but if nothing else Gibbs set a solid course for the franchise after he left. I could live without Gregggg Williams as HC so long as you bring in someone with the same philosophy...who better than Russ Grimm?

Whatever...it's one thing to pass on Gibbs' handpicked successor and a HoF legend with promise as a HC, but it's another thing to go in the complete opposite direction and run the WCO in Washington. It's almost like seeing the Knicks running the triangle offense...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM

True...but that blueprint is outdated with free agency, salary cap, etc...at least for sustained success. But the blueprint of having dominant lines...and everything else will fall into place...is timeless.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Shawne Merriman – BUF (U)

hahahahahahahaha....good one 4th...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Good catch, pfunk...I knew there was something fishy about that dude. Turns out he's got split personalities and an RI handle for each of 'em...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 9:34 AM

Well he's not one of our sock puppets...that's for sure.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey monk, can you believe that idiot hess messed up and said the wrong name? What a moron!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Maybe there was a local Pop Warner team named the Redskins.

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Although Shanahan is in the process of determining which members of the current roster should move forward with the team, it appears Landry has already made the cut.
_____________

Forget witty repartee (think Nate/Sween)or militant posters (think DMV)- it's precisely this type of peerless breaking news is why I tune in to RI. I mean I personally thought our 2nd best overall player was on the bubble to make the 2011 squad but now I can rest much easier knowing that he seems likely to be back.

Now in seriousness- I don't think we can overstate LL's value to this team when he balls like he did in the first half. We must lock him up. And how is Gano still on this team??

In a brutal season in which we've lost about every possible way, if we can sweep Dallas all will not be lost.

HTTR.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 14, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:28 AM

That's what kills me as well. Gibbs isn't out the door 30 days and his whole system is chucked, all of his coordinators are chucked, and we switch to WCO - what they ran in Fan Fran when the Vinster was there.

It just stinks.

Posted by: edvar | December 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

And how is Gano still on this team??

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 14, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

On ESPN's "Come On Man" last night Ditka and co. were making fun of Gano for missing the first 2 short FG's, and then the short one he DID make he almost missed that one, and he was all pumped up and pointing to the sky, what a joke!!! They also laughed when he picked up the bad snap on the extra point and got planted in the ground, how embarrassing!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Maybe there was a local Pop Warner team named the Redskins.

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:41 AM

If I had billions of dollars...I would own the Redskins...and they would be great...you all would be saying what an awesome owner PlayAction is.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Not keeping Gregg Williams completely baffled me. I mean, I thought it was a shoo-in for him.

Then I see some numbnuts with a stupid haircut and a blank look. Some guy I've never heard of.

Oh well, Cerrato is gone so hopefully Bruce Allen can do the right thing.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

We'd probably call you a midget too, and how high would the beer prices be??? You won't be great to me unless the beer drops!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

In hindsight, we f-ed up by keeping the wrong Graham...keeping Gano and not getting Shayne Graham...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Guys take a look at this Skins mock draft. Not sure if there is any chance we get a 2nd for Mc5...but its a well thought out draft. I would take it: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/542715-2011-nfl-mock-draft-how-will-shanahans-second-draft-pan-out-for-the-redskins

Posted by: roccoskins | December 14, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Rocco - definitely agree and I like this draft. Only revisions I would make are to somehow draft a speed RB (maybe we can add in FA since I wouldn't want to ignore more pressing needs). Also would take a pass-rushing outside LB sooner than the 7th to complement Orakpo. Pressure from both sides is essential.

Posted by: quinn3 | December 14, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I know Monk, I about chucked my beer at the screen when I saw him celebrate his hook job that narrowly stayed inside the left upright from 25. He's gotta go - don't trust him anywhere outside 40...and maybe not even inside 30 after Sunday.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 14, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Shanny really needs to draft a playmaking RB or WR with the 1st round pick. I think they can pick up a good, solid starting quality RT or guard in the top of round 2. If I were them, I'd be thinking of keeping McNabb as the starter and adding speed and talent to one of the so-called skill positions in round 1, then O-line in round 2.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 14, 2010 10:08 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:16 AM
==========
agreed... Alot more hits at that position.. 'Hope he can count to 10 when he is 60...

way before my time.. but, didnt Hanburger or Huff play LB into their 40's?

Posted by: onanygivensunday | December 14, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Quarter pitchers...I would make all the personnel decisions...and come here to RI for advice...hessone and pabrian would be in charge of running around the field with the banner after scores...iH8dallas would handle promotions...and monk...you'd take care of the cheerleaders!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins also have a player in the runnning for the title of the NFL Candy-ass Man -- which honors the player who gets paid the most for the least number of games played -- consecutive or otherwise.

Unfortunately, Albert Haynesworth could not be reached for comment.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

A-friggin'-men. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:28 AM
------------------------------------------
Really good point, Brownwood. I really am not a fan of the WCO, but coaches have slapped that name on so many different offenses that what is being run out there isn't anything like what Bill Walsh envisioned. Still, I would much rather the team run a smash-mouth play action type of offense.

On defense, I think it was just sacrilege to bring in the 3-4 defense. Although I understand the why, the 4-3 was as much a part of the Redskins glory days as the tool shed cocktail hour.

Having grumped about all of that, I have an open mind and I wouldn't dream of calling this transition a failure until I see something closer to the finished product. The overhaul of the offensive line needs to be completed. A man-beast of a nose tackle needs to be found. The big-ish receiver that is a staple of Shanny offenses needs to be found. If the team still struggles after those pieces of the puzzle come together, then I think it is time to worry about the decision to make a major philosophical change.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 14, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 14, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

But from 31-39 he's a future HOFer!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Shanny really needs to draft a playmaking RB or WR with the 1st round pick"

So that when #5 gets sacked, either player can come back to them and let him know, as he picks grass out of his helmet, and tries to stop looking out the earhole...that they were open.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

But from 31-39 he's a future HOFer!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:05 AM

I'd just narrow that to 35-38.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Woo-Hoo!!!!!! First thing I'd change is their uniforms, they are wearing WAY too much. Anybody for thong bikinis on game days???

Next is figuring out where to put that stripper pole on the field.......

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

It just stinks.

Posted by: edvar | December 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

It appears Gibbs isn't too upset about it, as he was sitting in Snyder's booth.

Posted by: joeboggs | December 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse
______

I hear you, and I agree that ultimately O-line is the root of the offensive problems, but how many RTs or guards have you ever seen come from the top 10 of round 1? Bottom end - yes; top end - no. We don't need to spend another high 1st rounder on a LT. Unless we trade down, O-line most likely won't be a value pick where we're going to be picking. My point is that we can address both of those needs this draft.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, former Redskin kicker Shaun Suisham was 3 for 3 on field-goal attempts this past weekend for Pittsburgh, and is 9 for 9 since replacing Jeff Reed a month ago. Suisham booted field goals of 23, 35 and 41 yards. He is 6 for 6 on field goals between 40-49 yards.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

RSH, the 3-4 doesn't bother me as much since historically this team's identity is on offense. The smash mouth style wasn't invented by Gibbs, but he certainly showed it can be both effective and prolific. On defense, this team has had some good ones but certainly no unit that carried a team to a SB.

Co-sign on the offense now...the course has already been set. The only thing worse than changing to the WCO would be to toggle back and forth. Pick a plan and stick to it...if there's a branco of the WCO tree to bring to Washington, Shanahan's is certainly the best one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign on the offense now...the course has already been set. The only thing worse than changing to the WCO would be to toggle back and forth. Pick a plan and stick to it...if there's a branch of the WCO tree to bring to Washington, Shanahan's is certainly the best one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Next is figuring out where to put that stripper pole on the field.......

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

And don't forget the Lingerie Bowl -- "Shirts vs. Skins"

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Next is figuring out where to put that stripper pole on the field.......

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:12 AM

Great...of course I'll be assisting with auditions.

Anyone else kinda pissed that FOX had a 30 second close up of quite possibly our least attractive cheerleader last sunday? I was expecting much better wet cheerleader coverage.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Undersized, underrated, underappreciated, under-the-radar. He is the best FA acquisition in the Snyder era. If he'd played for teams that had won a super bowl or two, he'd be a shoo-in for the HOF. I fear he'll be overlooked. Give me 22 LF's and I'll bet you a SB.

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM

I noticed that...kickers have a tendency to improve when they leave Redskins Park. See Akers, David...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Sports columnists in Pittsburgh have tagged him, "Sweezie Money." Go figure.

See:

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Give me 22 LF's and I'll bet you a SB.

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope London can throw, run, catch, block, kick, punt, hold, and return as good as he plays ILB.

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2010 11:20 AM

100% agree...I said earlier in the year that his numbers are eerily similar to Ray Lewis's and he gets a fraction of the attention/praise. Just goes to show that prancing and pontificating is what gets you in the HoF instead of just shutting your cakehole and playing football...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:24 AM

Catching...not so much...

22 London Fletcher's reminds me of my first Atari football game.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:29 AM

His whole "thing" before each game makes me ill...the peeps up here love it...freaks.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Not only did we go away from the Gibbs style by switching to WCO....but even worse, Jason Campbell, who we dropped so many draft picks to get, was completely ill-suited to run the WCO. He's so much more of a successful vertical passer.

That switch really set us back, along with the monumental draft busts of 2008, when we had ten picks.

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | December 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

native, I hope they do go out and make waves in the FA market, if they brought in Logan Mankins, and Vincent Jackson, that would be a good first step....get that done, then draft another G in the 1st and a NT in the 2nd...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 9:20 AM |

What???? NOW YOU WANT A WR? Nooooo, Boldin wasn't good enough a couple years ago when we coulda used him. We had to get DT11 and MK12. I guess it takes a while for the broken heart Antonio Pierce left to behind to heal. Glad you're doing better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

At least his is kinda cool, Keith Brooking's is down right embarrassing! How do they listen to that and get pumped up with a straight face?

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hessone and i8dallas are not the same person. They apparently share the same last name or something as I recall reading a very dull convo between the two on here a while back about that. Geez..I swear some of ya'll are descendants from the accusers of the Salem witch trials.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 14, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 10:28 AM

It just stinks.

Posted by: edvar

Sad reality is that Vinny aggressively wanted to wipe out Gibbs influence from Redskins Park and create his own legacy. Rally a low rent thing to do.

Well, Vinny did create his own legacy. I'm pretty sure its not the legacy he was aiming for ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 11:36 AM

In hindsight, spending a 3rd and a 4th for Boldin is a discount compared to 2 2nd rounders for MK and DT...ugh...

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RunRiggoRun | December 14, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

WCO now stands for Why Can't it Operate!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I don't see the words "regular season" anywhere in this blog post, so if either the Colts or the Bucs make the playoffs, Fletch will no longer be tied for longest streak unless someone lets Jeff Gillooly and his Crazy Lead Pipe of Doom near Manning or Barber.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 11:16 AM
Funny how nobody bothers bringing up the fact that he sucked AFTER he left the Skins and joined Dallas too. Or that Brandon Lloyd didn't do squat AFTER he left the Skins for a while either before re-emerging with the Bears and now the Broncos.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | December 14, 2010 11:42 AM

I probably am.

But no way they are the same person...iH8 loves the redskins and is great at writing haiku...hess...well not so much.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

The vet pickup is usually a better call -- providing you can deal with the 2 major downsides. 1st, you gotta pay them, and they impact salary caps (or budgets) a lot more than draft picks do. 2nd, some guys play for the paycheck, then take it down a notch (or several). Gotta know if guy will come to play after getting paid.

Guys like Boldin and Fletcher are fighters. Doubt I need to go into the list of Skins FAs who came here for the money -- but in many cases, it did seem obvious.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | December 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

He's not a pycho that just hits anybody, I hear he just likes to hit women figure skaters.

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

And Hess calls me Hess because my name is Hess.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM |

BS. If your name were Hess, your screen name would be iHessDallas, sock puppet.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | December 14, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse
_______

Favre's record of 297 is a regular season stat. His unofficial streak was actually 321. I have to assume, therefore, the the Fletch/Manning/Barber number is also a regular season #, although clearly Payton has played more playoff games than the other two.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

Brandon Lloyd is such a nutty story. Guess the guy needed to fail a whole bunch before he finally decided to work at it. Wouldn't trust him with a big paycheck. But a breakthru season at age 29? Bizarre

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

When Gibbs 1.0 took over the Redskins were hardly a pathetic bunch. Under Allen they'd made the playoffs every year and under Pardee they contended deep into the season and had gotten some good players.

Contrast that situation with the basket case Shanahan inherited, with very few talented players not past their prime. The modern era Washington Redskins has basically been uncompetitive for 18 years--except for playoff runs 1999, 2005 and 2007.

Plus Gibbs 2.0 didn't leave town with a winning foundation in place. His trades and FA signings/re-signings (Campbell, Brunell, Jansen, Portis) mortgaged some of the future, and he plainly failed to address the problem of aging offensive and defensive lines.

This is not to under-emphasize how truly awful Vinny and Dan were in Gibbs' wake, making a tough but salvageable situation far, far worse.

Don't forget that Gibbs 1.0 had Bobby Betheard to find guys and an owner that wasn't interested in making football decisions.

Today all hope for change now rests with Shanahan. Will he be able to rebuild the Redskins into a competitive organization, from top to bottom? Does he have the skill, credibility and above all the patience to pull it off?

Time to rebuild!

Hopefully Shanahan will trade down in the upcoming draft. Hopefully Shanahan will cut his losses and deal McNabb for a third round pick. Hopefully they'll swing something for Fattsworth but it's hard to see how that happens except at a very cheap price.

Hopefully deal F. Davis as well and try to get chump change for Carter. Let Carlos and Santana fly, maybe Rocky too.

Kick the tires on some unheralded free agents that fit the system.

Then we'll see what we got.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dive ass posts get old,
Making fun of Snyder is
all that Hessone does!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

And Hess calls me Hess because my name is Hess.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM |

BS. If your name were Hess, your screen name would be iHessDallas, sock puppet.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You are absolutely right. Got me, I mean us.

Do you really think I am so void of a life, that I have 2 e-mails and handles for this blog?

I think I would just park my car in a garage with a hose going to my face if that was the case.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | December 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Or that Shweeze was money for the first 3 or 4 games.... and then the wheels came off.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

most teams have 3 te's, do they not?? with Davis/Cooley/Paulson, the TE position appears set, so why make it yet ANOTHER position of need??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

And Hess calls me Hess because my name is Hess.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 10:19 AM |

BS. If your name were Hess, your screen name would be iHessDallas, sock puppet.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

You are absolutely right. Got me, I mean us.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we have a 3rd member of the SPG Play, move over!

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:08 PM

Only two would be lame iH8...monk and I have I think six at last count.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

He's trying to get paid. Talent has never been the problem. Now he's 29, playing for relative peanuts and looking to cash in one more time.

He'll wear his halo through next season and hit free agency in 2012. Some team will throw boatloads of cash at him and it'll be 2006 all over again.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Tough times demand tough sacrifices.

Simply we have greater needs than having three competent tight ends. I'm OK with trading Cooley instead of Davis, but in the end Davis isn't very good and I could see Snyder throwing a sh*t fit about dealing Cooley and DMcN in the same year. Jersey sales and all that.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

It appears Gibbs isn't too upset about it, as he was sitting in Snyder's booth.

Posted by: joeboggs | December 14, 2010 11:13 AM

Have you ever known Gibbs to be upset with anyone? That's not his style. I bet if you asked him, he would tell you Vinny worked his guts out scouting players...

Here are Gibbs remarks last year on Snyder and Zorn:

- Gibbs said he wasn't consulted by Redskins owner Dan Snyder on the team's big moves of late: the ouster of Vinny Cerrato nor the hiring of Bruce Allen. "I don't think I should have been," Gibbs said. "I'm not here. I'm gone and so I don't think that was my place. I think Dan and the other people that he's conferring with to make those decisions, I think that's the right way to make it. They're here all the time, spending all their time with it, and that's the way it should be."

- Don't look for Gibbs to return to the team in any capacity in the future, as he's too involved with his family and his NASCAR team. As for his successor, Jim Zorn, Gibbs said: "I've always said [coaching] is probably, if not the best job in the world, one of the most coveted jobs that anybody could ever have. But to go along with that, there's extreme, intense pressure. I think that's the reason I liked it so much. It's trying to climb a mountain of adversity. I'm hoping everything works out for coach Zorn. He's a heck of a person. I think he knows. He's in the coaching profession. He knows how tough it is."

Posted by: Alan4 | December 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Jersey sales and all that.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 12:16 PM

And the chick skins fans would throw a fit! Danny doesn't want to deal with all that mess.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

pep, agree to disagree, like I said, seems like SOP on most teams to have 3 te's.

Jersey Sales....I FRIGGIN LOVE IT...

If you trade Cooley to a new team, its gonna generate even MORE jersey sales, so by your misunderstood/convuluted logic, wouldn't Snyder be happy...I mean after all he's gonna get only 1/32nd of jersey sales no matter what....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

wouldn't surprise me a bit if you nailed it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

What is SPG?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:08 PM

No, definitely not you. But hessone? You bet. This is confusing.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Only two would be lame iH8...monk and I have I think six at last count.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I have so many I lost count. Ask beep-beep, he keeps track of them all.

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Didn't realize NFL shared the jersey revenue equally...my bad.

Snyder would still throw a sh*t fit unless we got some marquee talent to replace those two with. No names = less sales.

Bottom line we can all live with 3 good to OK TE's

Who'ya going to trade?

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What is SPG?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep's labeled us as sock puppets, so we've embraced it. It stands for Sock Puppet Gang. Hey Play, show him the secret handshake....

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

I'm not a fan of trading known for unknown commodities, but you may have to let the guy walk at some point, and if that is on the horizon, then I don't see why trade wouldn't be on the table.

It has to be a money/contract/cap decision because you have to think a couple of years down the road about what it would take to retain a certain player in the context of an entire team.

Seems like our MO under Gibbs II was to pray that each year the stars would renegotiate and take more money but spread farther into the future, and that just can't keep your team competitive forever.

Our entire O line was so old because we couldn't just kick them all out of town when we wanted to.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 14, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

No, definitely not you. But hessone? You bet. This is confusing.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM

Haha...hess comes in here every morning...pee's in the water hole...gets everyone in a frenzy...then leaves...just like clock work....dive ass.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What is SPG?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

matt, again, the TE spot is solid on this team, you trade cooley, you now have created another NEED on a team that has WAY TOO MANY...cooley has what 2-3 years left on his deal...at the end of his deal, he WALKS..once that happens, you draft a guy to replace him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I just hope we stomp Dallas this week.

I wonder if Logan Paulsen playing so much last week had something to do with the good rushing performance?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

JErsey Sales at the NFLShop are shared.

Jersey sales from Redskins Stores and the Redskins website danny keeps.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 14, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

#5 beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 14, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 14, 2010 12:33 PM

You're in charge of recruiting now...I can't handle the rejection any longer after scamp turned down his offer from the SPG.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd move Cooley to get that 4th rounder back. Start Davis or Paulsen one of them will work out. Add some no-name to be the third guy.

Let's get young!

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 14, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

RE: Donovan McNabb -- No plan to replace me with Rex Grossman last week

The RI faithful know it was all part of Ol' Shanny's Grand Deception Plan to fool the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tune in this Sunday for another episode of "As the Redskins Turn" live from Dallas.

In this week's adventure -- titled "Duped in Big D" -- Ol' Shanny convinces the Dallas coaching staff to spend several extra hours figuring out how to defend against John Beck "hooking it up" with Roydell Williams on a hook and ladder play originating from the lone star of the Dallas stadium's 50 yard line.

According to one insider, "It won't matter what's the score, what's the down, or even what's the situation -- all you need to know is that as soon as we reach that star, we're going for it."

Posted by: Vic1 | December 14, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor -
Your mastery of a keyboard is about your talent with listing obvious items. You must have a lot of time to waste.
If being an NFL GM was easy, you fools would make a lot of money, but I guess you're not there.

Posted by: pjohn2 | December 14, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 14, 2010 12:37 PM |
---------------

then returns to only laugh his ass off. why do folks take this board so seriously, correcting typo's and grammar, what a joke. brown, lighten up for gods sake.

why can't the redskins build their own mankins and vjax ? sure it's a risk trying to do so with thru the draft. FA's that are signed first are usually expensive and there's risk involved with them as well. so if we pass on FA's until we build a strong nucleus at the o-line and d-line positions and then go into FA knowing what we need and with the money to do so makes sense to me.

brown = hook, sinker, and line

Posted by: hessone | December 14, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse