Fletcher/Pierce on G. Williams (Updated)

Jason Reid sends this file from Redskins Park:

As the process to select the Washington Redskins' next head coach continues, middle linebacker London Fletcher reaffirmed his support for Redskins assistant Gregg Williams to get the job.
Williams, Washington's assistant head coach-defense the last four seasons, is considered the front-runner to succeed Joe Gibbs, many NFL sources said, and he has strong support of coaches and players. While picking up some personal items today at Redskins Park, Fletcher said promoting Williams would be a good move for the organization.
"I think highly of Gregg," Fletcher said. "He would be an excellent head coach for us, an excellent choice, and I'm definitely praying that Gregg gets the job."

New York Giants middle linebacker Antonio Pierce, who played four seasons with the Redskins, also endorsed Williams on a brief stop today to visit friends at Redskins Park.
"I think [it would be] a great hire," said Pierce, who played under Williams in the 2004 season. "Just my one year with him, and knowing the guys I've known for the last four years that's been on this team, and the energy Gregg brings to this team ... everybody responds well to him.
"It will keep the continuity that this team and this organization needs. He's somebody that I think everybody in the organization, players and everybody, trusts."
The Giants face the Green Bay Packers on Sunday in the NFC Championship game at Lambeau Field. Although Pierce is focused on playing in the biggest game of his career, he will keep an eye on the Redskins' coaching search.
"Being a good friend of Gregg, and having a lot of respect for him, I would love to see him get that head coaching job," Pierce said. "What he had in Buffalo, I don't think really was the kind of coach he is. Not the coach that I had."
In part because of Williams, Fletcher -- the leading tackler on a unit that finished ranked eighth in the league in total defense this season -- signed with the Redskins as a free agent in the previous offseason. Fletcher also played under Williams for two seasons (2002 and 2003) while Williams was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills.
"I know how he is as a head coach, I know how he is as a person," Fletcher said. "He brings a presence. Gregg is very demanding, not only of himself but also of his players and coaches. He's detailed oriented. He's extremely meticulous about his structure ... making sure we know everything that's going on.
"He keeps players informed of what he's trying to do and how he wants to accomplish. Each team takes on a personality of the head coach, and Gregg's personality being that of a very aggressive, attack-type coach. Obviously, our team would be that personality and that style."

By Cindy Boren  |  January 15, 2008; 1:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caldwell, Meeks Will Interview
Next: Mora Interview Wednesday

Comments

Depends

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

On the last thread I wrote: "Again, it's all academic -- happy to be proved wrong by Demetric (and to use other words ending in -ic).

"The other thing to bear in mind is that the roster turnover engine will be in higher gear if we hire from outside than from inside (Ol'Flapjacks Williams)."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Old people diapers

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

D Evans has been here for a while and based upon the leaps that Chris Wilson and the two youg DT's have made, he probably be shipped.

He is fine as an extra body. But how much does he make as an extra body? We could take an undrafted FA and plug him in at the 'body' position and hope he turns out special as we all think Heyer may... but it looks like evans is who he is and aint gettin any better

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 15, 2008 01:33 P

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Of the guys on the roster with the greatest chances of not being on the roster next season (primarily for salary/contract reasons): Brunell; Marcus; Cornelius; Springs. Generally speaking, the guys signed in March of 2004.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I could certainly live with a Redskins team that was very demanding, detail oriented, meticulous, agressive and attacking... Sounds like something we saw at the end of this season that we would all love to see much more of for a long time...

Sounds like a winner...

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

sween, I still cannot see how we could get rid of Springs, especially if the D coaching staff remains intact or mostly intact.

He's still our best corner, and Carlos (arguably our second best corner and the youngest of the top three) may not play for most of the season. The thought of replacing two of our top three corners via free agency or draft is a bit far-fetched, to me.

Keep Springs! One more year! One more year!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Not Redskin related, but someone just told me they heard on the radio that Pac-man Jones was arrested for punching a stripper in the face.

I'm anti-pac man

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Note the update on the post, with comments from Antonio Pierce, who was at Redskins Park today. (He forgot he's playing for the Giants???)
Interesting that the Ravens are going to hire Garrett. Who knew Bisciotti would be the one to land the hot coordinator du jour?

Posted by: TheCindy | January 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro-stripperfacepunching

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Pierce is a quote machine. I really, really like him. He would be a hoot on Super Bowl Media Day. Too bad the Big Blue Express reaches its final destination in Green Bay on Sunday.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

So, who are the big potential FA's that we might entertain this offseason besides:

Jared Allen - DE (KC) Possibily
Lance Briggs - LB (CHI) Possibly
Asante Samuel - CB (NE) Possibly
Chad Johnson - WR (CIN) Probably Not

Possibly = at the right price... we don't need to ever make a new signed FA the highest paid player at his posistion... like we did with Archuleta.

Are there any big receivers like Boldin or Fitzgerald that will be available?

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Jared Allen - DE (KC) Possibily

This one would be key.

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Any talk of trading or cutting players has to include a close look at the salary cap implications. Players like Portis, Jansen and Griffin are probably going to be around. Guys who are at vet minimum and have no bonus to outlive are always the first at risk of being let go. The numbers on Washington and Daniels are getting close to break-even.

Posted by: tafka | January 15, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Antonio Pierce at the Park today? Man, if only we'd have kept that guy!! And Ryan Clark too!!

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that Gregg Williams will take us to the Super Bowl, it depends on the talent, but there were a few things that I liked that I saw. One, he cut some ties with some older players, Salevea and Wynn. He plugged in some new guys and maiximed their talents. I think Williams gets the most from his players. He took a lot of heat when they were the worst raked defense, but he rebounded with average to ablove average players but not stars. I think that is critical.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 15, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

4-12

I like him too but stright up Fletch is better.

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm going with No thanks for Ocho Stinko, and Assante Samuel. Allen will probably get franchised so no thanks if that happens. Briggs is a maybe, the problem with all these guys is that they're going to be asking for TOP DOLLAR, and this is the type of stuff that the Redskins should be shying away from.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

psps23,

depends on who they are playing. When they played MIN they had 3 men in coverage at most.

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"If you think Springs has one more good year in him, you keep him and draft to replace him. The UFA replacement cost of a starting CB is pretty high." - Tafka

I second this...

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I never would have guessed that Ashburn was Antonio Pierce's Cabo San Lucas.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Keep Springs! One more year! One more year!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 01:46 PM

One more year? That's all?

(I) HOPE SPRINGS (is) ETERNAL.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 15, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry sams- I thought the sarcasm was evident there. Just poking fun at those who still clamor for Pierce and Clark...

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

lol, sorry about that. I got ya.

Posted by: sams3 | January 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

zilla, I should have made it clear that Springs and I have an agreement in principle to take this year-to-year, and to sit down and reevaluate at the end of every season, at which time I issue a simple up-down judgment.

This year it's thumbs up! Which is nice. I mean, look at that smile on his face. Look at those pearly whites! He's thrilled at the chance to be back as our #1 corner.

Next year, we'll see.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"Ol'Flapjacks Williams" sounds like a pirate name. Arrr!

Posted by: psps23 | January 15, 2008 01:55 PM

I don't know that any of us can say how Grilliams will be in a late, close-game situation. He may have been hamstrung on some of his decisions by Gibbs. I would tend to trust the opinions of the players playing for Grilliams, though, since they work with him day in and day out. And I personally thought that the Skins D did more this year to force mistakes rather than just sit back and capitalize on mistakes. Look at some of the interceptions the D made this year.

Posted by: jaradel | January 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I thought you were serious too. But you're right, there are those who pine for Pierce 4 years later....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I would say I was Pro-Pierce before Fletcher came to DC...

I AM PRO-FLETCHER.

I love the way he plays. He's like a tank.

Fletcher over Pierce anyday...

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Note to self- Leave the sarcastic postings to the professionals.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The official count, btw, stands at 147,222.

Posted by: TheCindy | January 15, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

the thing about jared allen is he's a right DE. i.e. the same position as andre carter. neither are great run stuffers, and you need at least one on one side of the line. we need to find a DE like kerney, strahan, kampan, somebody who provides both good pass rush and good run support. Dominant LEs are hard to find in this league, which is why in my opinion, they're more valuable than speed rushing REs. Unless the speed rusher is so dominant (as in the case of Dwight Freeney) that you ALWAYS need double team protection on him, most speed rushing DEs are overrated in my opinion (ex. Jevon Kearse, Trent Cole, KGB, etc.)

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

An all-out blitz with the outcome of the game on the line is a great strategy, right up to the moment when the QB hits the open man down the field for a last-second TD.

A 1st class bookend to Carter at Left DE will make a world of difference. Talking about the 1st round of the draft here - not Chris Wilson.

Posted by: tafka | January 15, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 01:53 PM

Did you see Barb run he over on Sunday? No I am happy we didn't keep him and have the Fletch.

Posted by: jm220 | January 15, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Chad Johnson? No way he is worth the trouble he causes in the locker room.

Sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh instead, if you must have an experienced WR. Great hands and tough over the middle. A modern day Gary Clark, but bigger.

Posted by: tafka | January 15, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the present group of U-Miami players on the team thinks of Calais Campbell, the DE from the same school?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Is TJ set to be an UFA... I think he would be perfect... He's a solid possesion receiver, big, strong, a receiver that could actually block for us on run plays (geez, imagine that)...

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Calais Campbell is tall and skinny for a DE. That means he will have leverage problems against OTs unless he can add lots of weight (which usually affects speed negatively).

Posted by: tafka | January 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

dont write 85 off.... Although I dont know if cincy will give hime up I for one wouldnt mind seeing him in a skins uniform

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 15, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I hope Big Blue gets beat by 4 touchdowns this weekend.

Posted by: RickyBobby | January 15, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Even jm220 missed my sarcasm.

**walking away, head down with shame**

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

No doubt I would love to have 85 on our team.

Posted by: jm220 | January 15, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If by tall and skinny, you mean, 6'8, and 280. Not sure if that qualifies as tall and skinny.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I would take Chad Johnson in a heartbeat. He's egotistical and a distraction in some instances, but he's not randy moss or TO in those respective categories. I could see him, Portis, and Smoot gelling nicely in the locker room.

And having Randle El and Cooley lined up in the slots with a healthy Moss and Chad Johnson lined up on the outside? Oh that's dangerous.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought Roy Williams wanted out of Detroit, no? Not sure about his contract status, but that would be a nice pickup for the Skins.

Posted by: chris_skins_balt | January 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Right on psps23. Those three would talk so much trash and then go out and try to out perform each other. Teams couldn't put 8 in the box. Moss would have a lot 1 on 1.

Posted by: jm220 | January 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread I'm with AMTDStix watching Norv hold up the Lombardi trophy would be like watching my ex girlfriend win the Ms. Universe contest holding up the Million Dollar over-sized check while getting donkey punched.

Ref Antonio "look at me, look at me" Peirce

Yeah I used to be the Pro-AP much to the disdain of many regulars but I'm happy with Fletcher.

Antonio, from humble beginnings loves the spotlight too much for my taste. NY suites him just fine.

Posted by: Skinz | January 15, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Chad Johnson is a more-talented version of Brandon Lloyd. Who needs another chapter of that? TJ is a better all around receiver, but I don't think he is a free agent this year.

Ditto on Lance Briggs - let someone else give him big money so he can ruin their locker rom chemistry.

Posted by: tafka | January 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

ocho cinco is not like receiver, the. he actually tries hard, studies film, and seems to be a team guy. I think he would be a great addition to the skins and would welcome him with open arms!

Posted by: puttinforbird | January 15, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

If the mystery man from this past Friday wasn't Grilliams, it could have been The Shoveler or the Blue Raja.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 01:27 PM

My money would be on The Spleen 'sween.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

no offense to houshmazilly, but i think he benefits from the extra attention paid to chad j. not that tj couldn't perform on his own, but i think his numbers are slightly inflated. plus i think cinci would part with 85 before letting go of housh.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

At first blush, Chad Johnson is the type of player I'd normally despise. I'm very much a "shut up and get in the huddle" type, certainly the result of growing up the son of a h.s. football & basketball coach.

So it came as a bit of a shock to me when I realized that I actually like Chad Johnson. There's something different about him that sets him apart from a TO, a Randy Moss, a Me-Shawn. Sure, he's flashy, but with him it seems like he's just trying to have fun and be entertaining, as opposed to wanting attention to feed his ego. (Remind you of a certain costume-wearing member of our beloved franchise?)

He's definitely got the talent, and from my observations doesn't seem to be a primadonna (no more so than the average millionaire athlete), so I wouldn't be sad if we went out and got him.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 15, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Forrest | January 15, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I should proof read, should read:

From the last thread: I'm with AMTDStix watching Norv hold up the Lombardi trophy would be like watching my ex girlfriend win the Ms. Universe contest, holding up the Million Dollar over-sized check, while I get donkey punched repeatedly.

Posted by: Skinz | January 15, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, you and Jasno do a great job with this blog. One suggestion: could you italicize, make bold, use parentheses, or something to highlight the "(Updated)" postings? It would be nicer than fishing through the text to try to figure out what's new.

Respectfully,
Your Media Minions

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Skinz, I'm with Jasno, I believe he says that spoof-reading is overranted.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I would be happy if we made ZERO acquisitions among the perceived/media-anointed "top free agents" this offseason.

Remember how we went out and got London right at the start, and it was such a freakin' surprise? To me anyway. We were all trying to decide between Asante Samuel, Nate Clement and Sam Clemens, and Redskin One was headed to Buffalo for Fletch!

And look how it worked out: really, really well. We got a dude we loved who fit in perfectly.

Not that we'll find a London this offseason, but I love the way we got him, and would like to see us go about our business similarly this offseason. Such as.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | January 15, 2008 02:39 PM
He reminds me alot of CP the way he talks. I think those 2 would get along great. And when you see him talking to other players its not the normal trash talk ie:rivers or t.o. its the fun kinda trash talk, ive never scene him get into it with another player. But I think we still have too much money tied up at the wr position.

Posted by: SAK2 | January 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm anti Briggs.

We have Fletcher and Blades as his understudy.

We have a top ten defense. I'm much more worried about the OL and depth there and on the DL.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I dunno...I've heard of all these guys, which usually means they're too big-name to want to put forth an effort for us.

Names like Chad Johnson and Asante Samuel go to other teams and play hard, but they come here to get paid.

I just hope this head coach vacancy is filled soon (with Williams!) so we can get down to the business of draft picks and less flashy, more intelligent pickups like London Fletcher.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Count me in with Nate on this. I don't want Assante, Allen, Briggs, or Chad Johnson. Give me some under the radar type players who are hungry, mean, and nasty, and I'll be happy. Some low risk/high reward type of players, would suit me just fine.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The roster should be like sharks teeth....as soon as a tooth gets dull a new razor sharp one takes its place....

Posted by: Oldschool | January 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

wasn't fletcher one of the bigger name FA's out there? i agree with you anyway, Nate. As long as we can bring back most of the roster (sans brunell, lloyd), i don't think we need any major additions. hopefully one or two of our draft picks can step in and start from the get-go next year, but if not, our starting lineup shouldn't get any worse, and should only get better with the experience from this past season and regaining health. in my mind, we can finally draft for the future instead of immediate needs.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

in my mind, we can finally draft for the future instead of immediate needs.

Posted by: psps23 | January 15, 2008 02:54 PM

I agree, there is no position we need right now, more just types of players we want ie:tall receiver, pash rushing de.

Posted by: SAK2 | January 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Why would we want guys like Asante, Briggs, and Allen?.....top flight talent at their positions all of whom are 26 years old or under and all fill major needs for us. Yeah I can see why we wouldn't want those guys and would rather have some "under the radar" guys.....folks the only reason guys are under the radar is because most of the time they aren't very good....sure there are a few exceptions but you got a better shot and signing somebody proven and expecting them to play well than signing a nobody and hoping they become somebody. The only problem with our signings (besides the give away of draft picks) is that majority of the time we sign old guys to long expensive contracts. Allen, Briggs, and Samuels would be perfect signings for us, question is can we afford them.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

can we afford them.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 02:58 PM

You know this is a redskins blog right, money doesnt matter

Posted by: SAK2 | January 15, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hi redskirt, long time no see.

Isn't your significant other a Pats fan? If yes, he must be getting pretty insufferable by now... :)

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

despite my continued cries for big roster changes i realize and expect them to keep some of these guys....at the end i expect they keep/find a solid roster....but stumped ,nate, dc, jm220, ... all the regs....we are a team in dire need of 2 playmakers one on each side of the ball... good coach ,better JC, solid roster and hoping 2 unguardable/unblockable difference makers......not say'n

Posted by: Oldschool | January 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Matt Jones(fits the under the radar type, with size and speed), Dante Hall(links to Jim Mora Jr who is a players coach all the way) at CB, and Julius Peppers depending on price(he had a horrible season after four really really good ones)

Just names, at the end of the day...our free agent signings should theoretically be based on the conversations that Danny is having with the candidates for our coaching job!

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. Samuel had a great year, going into his contract year in the 06 season, this year he was back to being a good player, but not the show-stopper he was when there was money on the line.
Briggs, I'm not sold on him either, is he the player he is because of who he plays next to, Urlacher, or is he legitimately a good player.

Now Allen might be a different story. I think he's got all the talent in the world. The problem is that Carl Peterson has gone on record that Allen will get tagged, so that AUTOMATICALLY should be a no thanks.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 - of course you would take all of those guys if you could. the point is learning how to spend your money wisely. all those guys will go for close to max contracts for their positions, and it's not worth it to invest in players like that. you have to sacrifice other players to make room for those guys.

we've done it before. we gave it to lavar, and had to give up bailey. we gave it to lloyd, and gave up dockery. we gave it to archuleta, and gave up ryan clark. save the money for keeping in-house talent around(i.e. when we'll need to re-sign campbell, rogers, etc.)

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

People...let's calm down with the Pierce nostalgia. Here's why:

1) He is a 1st class Chooch. If people were named based on who they were, he would be named Chooch McGirk.

2) The penalty for yelling at the snapper that gave Dallas a 1st down/TD that cost us the game and led to innocent people being saddened.

3) He was so grateful to the Redskins for the opportunity to play in the NFL that he went to the Giants. People are too lenient on this. I don't care how it ended in Ashburn, you don't roll to the gints/iggles/cowpatties. Not acceptable. it means too much to too many people for that. 28 other squads bruh. You don't get back on the Christmas list that way.

4) We have the mega-tight non-bama London. London calling by The Clash people. He is the truth in a sea of lies.

ArtMonkToTheSticks

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | January 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Assuming Gregg Williams is HC and Al Saunders stays (my personal guess and preference):

Portis - Renegotiate (proved too valuable as a receiver to let him walk)

Brunell - GONE; replaced with a late round pick or young FA to eventually replace Collins as the "Al Saunders specialist"

Wade - GONE (if contract allows)

Springs - will either be re-signed or replaced with Asante Samuel

Marcus - renegotiation

Cornelius - GONE; Montgomery and Golston are ready to start together and he's too expensive for a veteran backup

Just off the top of my head.

Posted by: LiberalMike | January 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

dbuss, I don't think any of those cats are going to be free agents.

If we could get Jones in a trade for say a third round pick, I'm all for it, but not more than that.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Bernard Berrian could also be a fit at WR

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I think they will try to draft a wideout in the second round to to compete with Mix as the big possession guy.

Posted by: LiberalMike | January 15, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"F Peirce. Dude is an a$$clown. Remember the air horn incident earlier this year? Also M Barber was running all over his punk a$$ last weekend."

Posted by: Forrest | January 15, 2008 02:39 PM

Speaking of who(m?) ... Marion Barber is UFA this season.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

no more trading draft picks. especially 3rd rounders for former 1st rounders that can't crack a starting lineup (remember duckett...) can we please use our draft picks?

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I am under the assumption that jones is an RFA, and that Peppers is an URFA

In hall you are correct. I didn't explicitly explain that.

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Redcoat--no, he's a Bears fan, so we're both doing the "please someone beat the Pats" dance at this point.

Of course, he doesn't want Favre to be the one to do it, but I (secretly) do.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

he doesn't want Favre to be the one to do it, but I (secretly) do.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:18 PM

Better hope he doesn't visit here. lol

Posted by: jm220 | January 15, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | January 15, 2008 01:55 PM
on the contrary, i think on offense, gregg would go for the kill. i really respect him putting his ego aside and changing styles to best fit his personnel. how he used S Taylor and then Landry after his death was very innovative and other than the New England game, worked to perfection most of the year.

Posted by: gregskins | January 15, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Asante is a good fit. If I'm not mistaken, he plays mostly zone and isn't the greatest man coverage guy. I think he will end up getting huge jack from somebody, and isn't worth it. Not that it's my dough, but the money would be better served elsewhere.

The skins need to upgrade the o-line and d-line. The one common denominator amongst all the teams winning still is their dominance up front. Playoff games are won in the trenches. The skins didn't win in Seattle because they got smashed up front on both sides of the ball.
Thoughts...

Posted by: puttinforbird | January 15, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

he doesn't want Favre to be the one to do it, but I (secretly) do.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:18 PM

Better hope he doesn't visit here. lol

Posted by: jm220 | January 15, 2008 03:19 PM

Ha. He does.

Oops.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

..bird,
agreed.

Portis, Campbell, Moss, Cooley and ARE would have all had career years if we had had a healthy OL this year.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 15, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

People...let's calm down with the Pierce nostalgia.

ArtMonkToTheSticks

Posted by: drouhier | January 15, 2008 03:08 PM

Add to that -- he went to New York for little more than what the Redskins had offered him and once he got there, he's done nothing but trash the Redskins. If he's for Williams for coach, then I'm for Cowher.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 15, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Old School, Sean Taylor was shaping up to be our playmaker (i.e., more than simply our mayhem maker), but I generally agree. That's why I've been trying to make splash about Nnamdi Asomugha/CB Raiders (UFA) and O.J. Atogwe/FS Rams (RFA). Those two are pick machines ... when QBs dare to throw their way. Conventional wisdom is that Asomugha gets tagged ... I'm guessing the Rams put the highest tender on Atogwe. A playmaker along the D line also would be acceptable, but who knows how you find those guys ... other than maybe Stompy Haynesworth. On the offensive side, we have some playmakers, but they draw too much coverage ... though the idea of a tall receiver also makes sense to me.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah an upgrade to O-line would be great (especially since Jansen is getting long in the tooth) but I'd also like to see an upgrade to training and conditioning.

Cheap. Under-the-radar. Keeps our first string WRs, CBs, OL, and DL on the field.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCindy | January 15, 2008 01:49 PM

The Ravens have a class organization. The Cowboys? Well, they talk the talk.

Who would you rather work for -- Bisciotti and Ozzie Newsome or Jerry Jones and Jerry Jones?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 15, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:31 PM

Chances are that the team with the least number of pulled muscles was also a lot younger than the Redskins.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 15, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:31 PM

I have a horrible feeling that was the
Patriots too... I think they barely lost a player all season.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"... Our O-line (and the rest of the team) pulled muscles all OVER the place this year, which set us back to begin with. Find the team with the least number of pulled muscles throughout the regular season, and steal their trainers. ..."

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:31 PM

Jansen was the guy who peeved the league by throwing out some high percentage numbers of guys who used Human Growth Hormone. His perception COULD be colored, for example, if his teammates routinely use the stuff, i.e., super-juicing their musculature, thus leading to things like pulls, tears, strains, maps, such as ...

I'm on HGH myself, but its a little different ... haiku grammar hormone.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm sure you're right there, TE...but then our young guys were pulling them right up there with the vets.

Anyway, I was kind of being flippant, but I still think it's something that should be addressed. Obviously not as a replacement for upgrades, but in addition to.

As for your other question:

Well, if Jerry Jones owned a different team...no, would still pick Bisciotti/Newsome.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Interesting (Janses-HGH-whose lockerroom was he seeing it in), Sween.

How about Samuels? Seems to me he's played as many pro seasons as Jansen now. Is it a gamble that he's got another year or two left?

Posted by: suz | January 15, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

dc
i can't say or spell either of your guys....but I like them anyway....don't see it your way on O Moss and cooley are nice but they and we need a real speed or better yet size and speed guy to make them better.... another player would help make my love /hate thing with Portis too....

Posted by: Oldschool | January 15, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

it wasn't old guys fletcher, springs, samuels, kendall, daniels that were sidelined with the preventative injuries. it was the guys supposedly in their primes; moss, randle el, smoot, washington.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"everyone keeps listing williams as an aggressive type coach. am i the only one who doesn't feel this way? he doesn't blitz very often, likes to sit back and play safe, and has the defense play a more "capitalize when the other team makes mistakes" mentality rather than "force the offense into mistakes" mentality. and i'm not knocking him, that's just the way i see him. does anyone else get the feeling that in a late, close-game situation gregg would play it safe and let the defense try to win the game instead of going for the jugular?

Posted by: psps23 | January 15, 2008 01:55 PM"

GW blitzed more a couple of years ago. His first year here in 2004 he was a blitzing fool. But there's been a paradigm shift in the nfl. Offenses have been catching up with defenses. The Colts' O had something to do with it.

GW's game plan against the Lions was perfect against that offense because they had no running game. But it worked so well he stayed with it. It didn't work so well against the Pats. But then late in the season he started stacking the line like against the Vikes. A successful gameplan is going to take into account the team you're playing.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 15, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

RC, the pats did lose their leading rusher at the time, Sammy Morris to a broken sternum, or something of that nature, but they have been largely injury free. They also had one of their defensive linemen on the PUP list til week 7 or so, but he's been playing ever since.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Would you go with an O-lineman in !st rd. then go defense in @nd.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | January 15, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sammy Morris was always going to blow up Greg, he di dit for us in Miami so I saw no reason for that to change.

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Old School, I've been advocating for an early round RB for a while, but the rebuttal is always "who do you cut to make roster space"? Everyone has at least one guy (Portis, Betts, Rock) who they are ready to part with, but not much consensus about which (or for what reasons). I just figure that the position of RB is a high wear-and-tear position that requires re-loading every so often. Portis, Betts, and Rock all graduated about the same time. Seems like a recipe for bad "luck" to me.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Would you go with an o-lineman in the 1st rd. then get your DE in the 2nd?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | January 15, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

ah, loseable type...

I hadn't thought of that, but you have a good point there, sween, about Jansen's comments.

Samuels did just come off a great season...I'm tempted to think he might have a handful more of those left (and was Kendall a great pickup or what?)

I hate to say it...but what about Randy? I love the guy, but his injuries the last few seasons have really hurt.

Either way, we desperately need to start grooming some young guys for every position on the line. Heyer is a (rough) step in the right direction. Now what about the rest?

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"... But apart from Morris, the D lineman and Brady (Questionable, shoulder) every week so far they've barely had a nick on them."

Posted by: Redcoat | January 15, 2008 03:50 PM

That may all be well and good, but when they meet their demise, there is a certain Fallen Angel to whom they each owe a soul.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

matter
body
mony
aircraft
histamine
gone

For what it's worth. If that clears anything up.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 15, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

shanteefamilee - i personally would go o-line in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (or 4th, can't remember which round we gave up) if i could. you can't hide a poor o-line, and a good one elevates an offense to the next level. our d-line already has 3 out of the 4 pieces set, and we can survive with a solid journeyman sitting at the other end.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

If we have both Portis and Betts under contract, why would the Redskins draft a rb with an early pick? They have needs that can be addressed elsewhere.

RC, agreed, the pats seem to have made a deal with the devil, they never get hurt, the ball alway's bounces their way.

I guess DE/OL in the first round depends on whom is available when the Redskins pick? We can pick the best available player at either spot depending on whom is still out there. If all the DE's are gone by #21, and there are no guards worth the #21 pick, then I'm all for dumping that pick to accumulate more.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The only O-line position that I think the team should think about in the draft is Pete Kendall's and only because he is entering his 12th (something like that) season. My bartender last night (an eminently reasonable Skins-thinking guy) had only one thought for the first round, at that was for an O-tackle for the same reasons you all have been saying ... injury history and depth/development to backfill for Samuels/Jansen in the event of injury repeats. I had been thinking that the draft was the only place to find an offensive tackle was the draft ... but I've been so pleased with Heyer, I'm off that idea as an absolute principle.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 03:51 PM

Heyer is most definitely a step in the right direction, but clearly we need more. Maybe that's where Lorenzo ends up. I have to disagree on Randy, though. When he's healthy, he's the best lineman we've got, and a real tough-nosed athletic pulling guard.

Posted by: PBL4 | January 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Unless there is an immediate impact player available (like LaRon), we should trade down the 1st pick for 2,3 and 4th rounders.

There is greater value in the 2nd round and 3rd round and you increase your odds of finding play makers if you have more picks and can afford to sign them.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 15, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope this offseason we trade for Ocho Cinco ala Moss/Patriots. Trade B.LLoyd and a 5th rounder possible forth he is worth it. He is a top 5 reciever when motivated. No matter how much of an a$$ he is. Sign Jared Allen switch Carter to the Left side, I remember us switching him against the Vikings and it work well. Hope fully Trade down and pick up another first rounder for next year.

Posted by: cgshelto | January 15, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

don't see us changing at running back unless Portis is asked and doesn't restructure, or someone (Mason)/low round pick / undrafted FA really opens some eyes at camp/preseason in which case betts would go.running back is easily replaced and if one of these sceniros happens and (we do a good job finding the new guy) it will be night and day offensively from what we have seen by and large from Portis/Betts.

Posted by: Oldschool | January 15, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Need to get past the first round of free agency before thinking about the draft.

Old School, its a GOOD thing you've never heard of Asomugha or Atogwe (or probably Justin Smith) ... they aren't celebrity rock stars like the names you HAVE heard (like Samuel, Jared Allen, Albert Haynesworth, etc.). Rock stars get huge contracts they don't deserve (see Nate Clements). I consider Randel El to have been a rock star ... just one that happens to have turned out well. The key is to avoid paying rock star money to guys who are not rock stars (see Lloyd, Brandon or Archuleta, Adam). The better key is to hire the RIGHT non-rock stars, like London Fletcher (though to Bills fans and people paying attention, he put up rock star numbers).

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow....so someone thinks we can trade Lloyd, Brandon? Are you kidding.....sure, sure you were kidding, thats funny good one....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad you said that, PBL. Like I said, I love Randy, so any indications that he might be able to play for us a few more years makes me smile.

A question for someone who follows the draft more closely than I:

How often do teams (other than the Redskins) agree to part with multiple picks in the same draft for a 1st rounder?

It seems like a rare bird to me--an opportunity we might not even get--but what do I know...

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Rock star = Adalius Thomas in Baltimore.

Former rock star returning to no name status = Adalius Thomas in New England.

Justin Smith is a UFA DE in Cincinnati ... they tagged him last year. Still, peeps are not alone when they ask "who is Justin Smith?"

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade B Lloyd? To K-Tel for a baritone to be named later?

Posted by: suz | January 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

there are always trades on draft day. you just have to be fortunate enough to be in the right position to offer it. luckily, i feel like most draft day trades either happen very high (picks 1-5), or in the mid-late 1st round (low 20's, right where we sit). hopefully some star QB or RB can fall real far and we can offer him up as bait.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

i'm thinking we offer up a lloyd/brunell package for a sign & trade deal for julius peppers. they sure could use the solid arm and opposite receiver threat for steve smith. sound good to anyone else?

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I believe that this past draft saw a large amount of trading in the first round. It was more back heavy, than top heavy. Cleveland traded for multiple picks, SF traded for multiple picks, Philly jumped out of round 1, then jumped back into it.

This past year was somewhat of an abberation, but trades are quite common...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I know that trades are pretty common, I just wondered how common multiple pick trades were--thanks greg and psps.

And do tell, sween...who is Justin Smith?

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright for Devin Hester.

Collins for Brady

Albright for Adrian Peterson.

That should do it...

Oh and Portis and a first for Shar Pourdanish, and Brian Davis.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

psps23, depends how much they want that last ham sandwich.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 15, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

SIGN ETHAN ALLEN!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 15, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Ethan Allen.. that is just wrong...

Poor ole St Joe...

I laughed pretty good while listening to his last Mon 5pm press conf and rattling off the list of soon to be FA from the Skins... Ethan Allen....

LMGO!

Posted by: EinVB | January 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I think we offer Blloyd, Brunel, Don Brouaoux, our 35 other assistant head coaches, and Archuletta's expiring contract, for Tom Brady.....oh wait that as ridiculous as anybody giving anything for Brunel and LLoyd.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Justin Smith plays defensive end for the Bengals. He's good for about 6-8 sacks a year. Good player, but not sure how much more upside he's got. He's going to be 30 after next year, so he might be on the downward slope.

Just my .02....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sarcasm on the blog. I sense sarcasm.....

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Since our starting 11 on offense and defense are all under contract for next season, would the safety spot opposite Dirty 30, be the only starting spot we look to upgrade? Or do you think Doughty showed enough?

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

That is, of course, ignoring possible cuts for salary cap reasons.

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am loving the conversation above. So all we need to do is:

#1: Trade J Campbell for Brady and picks.
#2: Buy out Billachick's contract.
#3: Sign Billachick to be our HC.
#4: Trade receiver,the for Chad Johnson
#5: Swap Offensive lines with the Vikings
#6: Trade Betts for Adrian Peterson
#7: Sign Portis for the veterin minimum just because he loves being a Redskin.
#8: Snyder gives me 1 mil. for my date with Jessica Alba.

Anything Else? Did I miss anything? Not trying to be a total douche bag, but the trades above for these key players under contract are a joke. Big Trades rarely happen unless draft picks are involved. The #1 complaint every year is that we give up too many picks.

I am with those who say no big names. Draft a DB at the 20 spot. If there is nobody worth grabbing, trade down for more picks including a #1 next year.

Posted by: kmckinty | January 15, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

I would like to hear your comments on this. The more I have thought about this, the more I realize Gregg Williams is not the guy. He just isn't. All of us want to continue what Gibbs had before. But to me, Gregg Williams is not a good coach. I have been trying to argue against my instincts on this, but I'm going to stop. He just isn't head coaching material. Too gruff, too egotistical without the brilliance...I can just see him overmatched in games. Can't you all see Andy Reid on a key drive to win the game calling in a play and telling his QB "Watch Gregg bite down on hard on this..." and then it's like a fake screen, post route that goes for 65 yards for the game winning TD? I see this. I have completely switched my thinking. If you go head coach internally, you go Al Saunders. If not, you go outside, with preferences for my main man Jon Gruden. But if it's not him, give me an offensive guy, someone young. I actually would not be shocked in the slightest if Jim Mora Jr. ends up being the choice. Seriously. I bet he interviews so well, despite the fact that he allows his superstars to start dog fighting kennels. I actually don't think Snyder will go with Williams anymore. My belief is when they sat down and talked, he didn't like what he heard from Williams. Otherwise, I think this would have been wrapped up by now. And who says continuity is what we need? We didn't exactly light it up this year. If you asked me to bet my farm on the decision:

Jim Mora Jr. Head Coach

Defensive End
Corner
Linebacker
Oline
and Big WR

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

i like doughty. i thought outside of the 1st dallas game, he was more than adequate. no need to call for an upgrade there, in my opinion. concentration should be focused on depth and future stud prospects on the o-line.

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm not following the logic of why we can't trade Receiver, The, for Stinko, Ocho?

It just makes sense on so many levels...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | January 15, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I think one of our later round picks needs to be on a FB, we can't keep calling Brian Kozlowski mid-season.

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

c'mon kmckinty, clearly all those trade proposals were jokes. sarcasm is tough to bring out over the internet...

Posted by: pspe23 | January 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Rex Ryan is gonna be the Falcons coach
Jon Gruden coaches somewhere right??? oh wait yeah he just made the playoffs in Tampa

And can we please stop the lets trade for Peppers, or Ocho Stinko, or any other premier talent that's under contract, it won't happen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Over steaks at Mortons, this is whom The Danny told me the Skins would be taking in the 1st round of the draft:

Posted by: CBT | January 15, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Justin Smith is kind of an invisible DE at Cincy, who Marvin Lewis considers the glue of his D. He's not that tall (6'4"), not that big (275 pounds), not the monster speed rusher that is the rage (only 2 sacks this season), kind of old (heading into his 8th season), but he's the guy they put on the side they aren't overloading and he still draws double teams. No flash, just solid.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

sarcasm is tough to bring out over the internet...

Posted by: psps23 | January 15, 2008 04:43 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Ahem.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Have not read anything, but I think adding Chad Johnson is a TERRIBLE idea - he is not as bad as T.O., but it is just not what our team is about.

Then again, he could be like Randy Moss (who I actually really like) - when in the right situation, he keeps the smack talk down to a whisper.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ah, but that "right situation" caveat is such a big one. You really can't pick for that.

Doughty definitely qualifies as young and hungry...the guy stepped his game up significantly after Sean's death. Now, whether that came from riding the team emotions, or finally getting his groove, remains to be seen. I think he deserves a shot at the position this year.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Thinking about the Governor's professed love for Al Saunders, I went to the nfl site for overall team stats on offense. [Mostly to see if we did better overall on offense or on defense ... the answer was defense]. On the ranking offensively, I gotta say I'm confused by the math.

League-wide, the Skins ranked 12th in rushing yards and 14th in passing yards. The part I don't understand is how they ranked 15th in overall offensive yards. What am I missing? Lost yards credited to penalties?

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

That's odd. If the ranking is purely based on yards, you would think they'd factor the penalty yards into the rushing and passing stats (like they do in games).

We was robbed.

Posted by: redskirt | January 15, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

i would like to trade the 2008 draft (all our 3 picks) for jeff fisher's mustache.

Posted by: dealer | January 15, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Jim Mora is legit and I think should be the hire, he never had a losing season in Atlanta and look what happened when he left...

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 15, 2008 04:43 PM

Only if his dad get to do the postgame pressers...

(Playoffs?!?... Classic!)

Posted by: Alan4 | January 15, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

sween- Just add every teams rushing yards together with their passing yards, and you'll get overall yards. You're over thinking it.

No one over thinks the sween.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2-Peppers would not require a trade. He was in the last year of a contract extension added to his rookie contract. This would make him an URFA

songofroland- I've been pleading to anyone that would listen that Jim Mora Jr. is my guy, and even though i'm not a JC guy, I believe it would be in JC's best interest if Mora Jr. is named coach.

on Al, he isn't changing HIS playbook, and JC is AGAIN faced with an extensive off season to study the book, if AL remains.

Odds Al changes playbook: 1000-1
Odds Jason grasps something new second time around: 1000-1

I'd love to see Mike Holmgren.

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What am I missing? Lost yards credited to penalties?

nope. the number of pages in the playbook.

Posted by: dealer | January 15, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

Jim Mora Jr. Head Coach
Al Saunders, O-Coordinator
Jerry Gray, D-Coordinator

What would The Governor want:

Jon Gruden Head Coach
Al Saunders, O-Coordinator
Rex Ryan, D-Coordinator

Bam.

The Governor

Posted by: songofroland | January 15, 2008 04:37 PM

I'll bite on this, since I have been a big supporter of Grilliams getting the job.

1. Jim Mora Jr. is another defensive coach - he's the DB coach for the Seahawks. How would he be an improvement over Grilliams?

2. Grilliams has mellowed a lot, and gained some humility without losing his edge. The debacle of 2006 taught him a lot. Losing Sean taught him a lot. I don't think he's the egotistical headstrong coach you make him out to be. His years in Buffalo are well behind him. He is not the man he was then.

3. Getting a loooong interview with Danny is a good thing, not a bad thing. I don't think Dan would spend that much time talking to someone he was not seriously considering for the job.

4. Dan still has not finished the interview process, which includes interviewing at least one minority candidate. By interviewing Meeks and Caldwell, he more than satisfies that requirement. If he had come out and named Grilliams the coach already, he'd have been slapped with a hefty fine because he would not have interviewed any minority candidates for the job.

5. No one has mentioned Saunders as a candidate, including Saunders himself. I don't think he's even in the running at this point.

6. Gruden still has a good thing going in Tampa. Rex Ryan (D-Coord for Ravens, right? I get him and his twin confused) is being considered elsewhere. And something tells me Saunders will not be here much past the naming of the new head coach.

7. Not all good coaches are from the offensive side of the house. See Tony Dungy. Just because Grilliams is a defensive-oriented guy doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach.

8. Not all young coaches are ready for the HC job. Grilliams' years in Buffalo stand as a testament to that. I don't think he was ready then. Understudying to Fisher and Gibbs has helped a lot, though. I think he's ready now.

Here's my overall take - Dan wants Grilliams, but he is doing his due diligence and following all the rules. He's no fool though, and he's been looking at coordinators from other teams (who may or may not be near the end of their contracts) for potentially open spots on the staff once Grilliams is promoted to HC. Yeah, I know that we can't steal OCs or DCs under contract. That's not going to prevent Dan from talking to them though.

Posted by: jaradel | January 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Today's rumor meter says the Falcons job goes to Sporano (and the Ravens job goes to Jason Garrett) ... so based on today's misinformation, Rex Ryan would still be available.

I'm still with AMMTS' rant (the one about the stilts, with the mink coat, and the filming of Rambo). The deeper problem is the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" GM/Owner/Racquetball Partner position, not the head coach one. Today's (third) interview must have included the "are you willing to walk my gangplank" question about whether he's willing to cut Marcus and/or Springs and/or Cornelius if one or more don't free up some of that previously negotiated money.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | January 15, 2008 04:58 PM

Very Ditka-ish of you

Posted by: CBT | January 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

sween, it's because you're just looking at the rankings, not the total yards. For example the team ranked 13th in passing might've averaged 80 more passing yards per game than us, but the team who ranked 17th in rushing might've averaged only 15 rush yards per game less than us.

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

What am I missing? Lost yards credited to penalties?

nope. total yards=yards per game divided by the number of pages in the playbook * wins * yards per game=total yards.

Posted by: dealer | January 15, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Can Synder pull the trigger already on Williams!?!?!?!?! I honestly cant take this any more. There should be no more hold up, enough is enough

Posted by: SeanTay77 | January 15, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Before the Deadskins can be successful they need a a new owner. Hopefully the proerty settlement in Snyder's upcoming divorce will force his shortness to sell the team. Or bet yet maybe his ex will purchase his half and show him who to run a pro team. She dint depend on her daddies friends to give her a start in business and tell her where to invest etc. Greggie sucked as a head coach first time around ebcause he played dominatrix with the Bills what makes you fools think he will change the second time around!

Posted by: dave2002ti | January 15, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

kost, thx.

"No one over thinks the sween."

Posted by: 4-12 | January 15, 2008 05:00 PM

Am there. Do that.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

We are waiting for:

Holmgren to step down in Seattle
Schwarz to miss available HC opportunities
Caldwell or Blache to interview

Then we'll hire Holmgren Mora and schwarz.

hahahhahahahahaa

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

dbussEsq, agreed (i.e., the laughing part, only in a non-mean way). I'm guessing that, where Gibbs surprised everyone by walking away (and happy doing it), it probably also confirmed some stuff that several other head coaches have been thinking. I predict Holmgren, Dungy, AND Andy Reid will step down and walk away ... and be happy doing it.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ray Lewis will give Jason Garrett the keys to the house. You know it's "Ray Ray's" team.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 15, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the sentiment of the post dcsween!

However I can't see Reid and Holmgren walking away.

Reid our of sheer stupidity and selfishness at a time when his wife and family could use him

Dungy because of his Faith

Holmgren is a gammer though. I can see him stepping down or retiring only to be lured back into the game this off-season.

Posted by: dbussjd | January 15, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sween, I find it odd that with Gibbs gone, and Holmgren and Dungy contemplating leaving, that there is zero talk about Andy Reid. Surely with all the family issues he's been having, he'd having to be at least thinking about it?

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

My main man who wants Grilliams. Do you really trust Grilliams making the final calls with the game on the line on the sideline? We will never get Sean Taylor back, and making Grilliams the head coach is really just an emotional extension for Redskins fans. It's our way of keeping it close to us. I think what happened in Buffalo was not a fluke. Grilliams is Grilliams. Like right now, if I told my dad to stop eating cheese even though he loves eating cheese because it's bad for him, he will continue to eat cheese. You know why? Because my dad loves cheese. Grilliams is Grilliams.

I sense a More Jr. announcement coming. And to all of you talking about the Gruden thing and how he is locked up in Tampa...he only has a year on the contract...lame duck year. That is a terrible, old rebuilding team...They made the playoffs because Garcia had a few gallons left in the tank and Gruden is a nasty coach and so is Kiffin.

I'm telling you, hired or not, Grilliams as head coach doesn't pass the smell test.

Posted by: songofroland | January 15, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought Soprano inked a deal in Miami??

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 15, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Also Baltimore offered the keys to the city to Garrett...

Posted by: trailblazer658 | January 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

No ink for Sparano yet, but Parcell's GM supposedly is flying to Dallas to get him. Baltimore/Garrett is not done either. Still dollar signs and postures and maps, such as to be worked out. Could all be smoke. Until Barno says its truth, I'm saying its misinformation.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro-cheese.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"... I think what happened in Buffalo was not a fluke. Grilliams is Grilliams. ..."

Posted by: songofroland | January 15, 2008 05:18 PM

And Ralph Wilson is Ralph Wilson. The Owner is no Ralph Wilson (much bigger wallet, and much fiddlier with the personnel decisions). Its just different math. New math, carry the seven, remainder of 21, etc.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I think it's nice that Dallas will most likely lose it's top two offensive coaches.

Posted by: kost52 | January 15, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, if Grilliams does get the job, he will start wearing a sleeve-cut hoodie and cheating. [Just responding to kost's remark about coaches who are offensive.]

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Back in rant mode on "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in the Skins FO, it seems like any head coach would be as good as any other in terms of what we can reasonably expect as far as long-term success.

Posted by: dcsween | January 15, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Bill Belichick had a 36-44 record in five years as head coach in Cleveland with only one winning season, so who knows how successful Williams could be the second time around.

Posted by: frankg | January 15, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Guys, haven't had a chance to read the posts over the last day or so, so sorry if somebody already covered this. I just thought it was funny!

From the DC Sports Bog (there's a video):

Man, look how happy the guy is in this video. Amazing. He's so happy the cliches are gone, and he's being all honest-like.

* The Old Joe Gibbs thought his team was always hopelessly out-manned. The Happy Joe Gibbs admits his team was hot hot hot.

"I was so convinced that our football team was gonna go all the way....I was really really convinced that this might be a chance for us to go all the way."

* The Old Joe Gibbs never ever said anything controversial. This Happy Joe Gibbs hints that Seattle might be fiddling with its crowd noise.

"Tough place to go and play, I can tell you that. The crowd noise out there, there's still something about that that doesn't sound right to me. I mean, you can't even hear yourself think."

(Seattle fans, he's clearly insulting your very existence, and you should get outraged and make signs and call radio shows right this second.)

* The Old Joe Gibbs often followed the Universal Coaching Rule that mandates you never acknowledge the fact that your eyes might have accidentally alighted on the words written by the media dorks. This Happy Joe Gibbs admits to being a voracious news consumer, which places him perfectly in the Washington Post's bedrock demographic:

"Then of course the articles and everything that were written....I just can't tell you what an awesome experience that was, to think about all the positive things that were said about me and my time here this second go around in coaching."

* The Old Joe Gibbs would find a way to tie everything back to God. This Happy Joe Gibbs....well....

"I've got to tell you, it shows you how awesome God is, for this reason: six weeks ago, after that Buffalo game, the things I shared with you guys and how I was feeling, I said to myself at that point, 'I doubt there will ever be another positive thing said about my coaching career, ever.' And when you stop and, just five weeks later, see what was written and the nice things that were said about me stepping down and my time here coaching, I've got to say, only God could have done that."

Well, God and Mike Wise, but point taken. The best news coming out of this video was that Gibbs will continue to offer us his spiritual messages after he leaves his Ashburn office, meaning he and Nick Young will still be partners in vlog.

By Dan Steinberg | January 15, 2008; 1:29 PM ET

Posted by: nojunk4me | January 15, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

First of all WHO CARES WHAT Pierce has to say when it comes to the Skins...he left to a rival for more money so Screw him....Secondly...of course all the coaches and players endorse Williams...THEIR JOBS ARE ON THE LINE AND THEY DON"T WANT SOMEONE FROM OUTSIDE TO COME IN AND BRING AND AD HIS OWN GUYS! GET REAL!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 16, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse