Long Day at the Office for Rock

Rock Cartwright, as many of you know, is a dude I have a soft spot for. He plays with a grit and abandon that is obvious, he's a small guy (I can relate), and, hey, he and my son have essentially the same name, so it's full disclosure on this end.

The man is working as hard as anyone out here, as usual. Most veterans are getting some practices off, but Rock is a part of every facet of special teams, and a standout on all units, so he's a part of every special teams practice. And, with RB Eric Shelton hurt and waived (the team has yet to announce the roster move to replace him), star RB Clinton Portis not taking part in a lot of drills as a precaution and backup RB Ladell Betts out till next week with a thigh bruise, Cartwright and Marcus Mason are getting a heavy load on the inside plays at practice.

Those two-a-days are no joke. Good thing the man lives and breathes football. Rock will get a rare break today, though. There is a special teams meeting at 4 and then he can leave the dorms for a while to have dinner with his family and play with his daughter. Curfew is 11 back at the National Conference Center.

Sunday night will probably be a big night for Rock as well. Even if the Skins sign a running back to replace Shelton, that guy might not be ready to play Sunday. Betts is not scheduled to play Sunday, nor is Portis, so it could be the Rock and Marcus show.

Overall, the afternoon practice was pretty standard special teams stuff. DE Chris Wilson tested his strained calf a bit, but was moving gingerly and is not his explosive former self yet. Looks like he has a little ways to go still.

By Jason La Canfora  |  July 30, 2008; 3:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schlub Grub
Next: Green, Monk Prepare for Hall of Fame Weekend

Comments

1st fools

Posted by: 1st fools | July 30, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what RB's are out there??

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Alex -- in case you beeped over ...

Getting her BA is a big deal. Lots more doors open with that.

Lots of people work and go to college at the same time. Time for her to acknowledge that its a 'step up' time for her. She's gonna have to work a bunch and do college at the same time. She's gonna have to look for scholarships stuff, etc.

Its her time to make an investment in herself ... and it will mean a lot of work. If she embraces it, then you'll be OK. If she's too fearful of this ... RUN ALEX RUN!!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

How many RB's will make the regular roster? 3 or 4?

Posted by: Go Skins Go | July 30, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Lots of good advice up here, Alex. Whatever you do, though, do not say these words, "well, the guys at Redskins Insider said you should .... "
Substitute "Dr. Phil."

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

rock nads

Posted by: fill in for nads guy | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I am over, want to thank everyone for the insights and opinions. I am alwayse a big beleaver in geting outside opinions on stuff and whatnot. Being that many of the people on this blog are my elders its very usefull.

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Alex,
The Skins are looking for a new RB. Can she pass the conditioning test?

Posted by: stumped | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Long nads (aka Rabachs')

Posted by: also filling in for nads guy | July 30, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Substitute "Dr. Phi."

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM

Hilarious.

Posted by: Skinz | July 30, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Dr. Phi."

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM

Phil?

Or Phibes?

I think we need to know which Cindy.

Should Alex take advice from a homicidal maniac, or a media character.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex,
The Skins are looking for a new RB. Can she pass the conditioning test?

Posted by: stumped | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM

She has been in the hospital too many times in her life, an injury to the back as a teen.

But hey, I am fairly healthy, and I already have a Jersey with my name on the back.

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

Also, DO NOT SAY "Well, I was talking to my friend, Cindy . . ."

It's a good way to kill a relationship quickly, unless that is what you are trying to do.

Posted by: Dr. Phi | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy, you edited your typo!!

No fair....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Should Alex take advice from a homicidal maniac, or a media character.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:29 PM

Is there a differecne?

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Being that many of the people on this blog are my elders its very usefull.

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM

Hey! That's ageism you know. Talent_Elevator must be spinning in his cocoon or whatever it is he sleeps in....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually that gives me an idea, I could be a crash dummy for the skins in pre-season, collect a easy paycheck and then money problem solved.

The plan is perfect.

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

And do please call us if you need additional consultation. We have budget-friendly rates for individuals, couples and groups.

(Did you really go out to see "Mamma Mia"??? Oy vey!)

Posted by: Drs. Fee, Phi, Pho & Fum. | July 30, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Cindy/Jasno, Any word on who will be playing fullback Sunday night? Besides Sellars of course (who should be resting after one series)......I can't even think of anyone else we have at fullback.....Nemo, maybe, but he can't play the whole game.....

Posted by: dlhaze | July 30, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

+++++Chickenman Corkczar.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:02 PM+++++

Wwwwwwwwelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Glad at least one Old Git remembers Chickenman. I also like Tom Slick and Superchicken.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy, you edited your typo!!

No fair....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM

It's a blog foul (bowel?) on Editor, The

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

This team is SERIOUSLY short of camp fodder RBs.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they don't plan on runing at all durring the pre-season

Posted by: 35332 | July 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Glad at least one Old Git remembers Chickenman.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 3:35 PM

When I first started visiting these shores back in the mid-90s (my age, not the date) I was driving somewhere with a colleague and this show (chickenman) came on the radio. I said "what on earth is THAT?" and he filled me in. I can't say I became an afficionado or anything unlike your good self, but it was always good for a laugh whenever I heard it.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:31 PM

He sleeps in his bed. He metamorphosizes in his cocoon. I think he's transforming from a butterfly into a grumpy old man. No, wait -- that was his last metamorphosis.

Posted by: d-bag | July 30, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I did edit my typo. Bloul on me. What was I thinking? (Oh, yeah, wait -- I edit. It's what I do.) I red-card myself and vow to never do it again!

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I red-card myself and vow to never do it again!

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:43 PM

A red card means you are "dismissed from the field of play", a little too excessive a punishment?

Perhaps a yellow card (caution) and 80,000 comments of (blog) community service instead?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Deal, Redcoat. I was being too harsh on myself.

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Re: 3:26 pm & 3:27 "nads" post...

I now know what joy a brother feels when his little brother excels in a given event/situation...

joyful nads

Posted by: nads guy | July 30, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

By the way esteemed Dauphine, how many more days do we haver to see that banner on the top of the page publicising Alfre Woodard et al for?

And pray tell me, what is Regis Phi. famous FOR exactly?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Deal, Redcoat. I was being too harsh on myself.

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 3:47 PM

Must be that Editrix facet of your personality 'cracking the whip'.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

man this blog stinks like

Posted by: elephant dung | July 30, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat = elephant dung

Posted by: A girl in the know | July 30, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

When ESPN stops running that nuts ad, Redcoat. You know..."Can't Take My Eyes Off You"...If you have to have ESPN News on all day for your job, say, that one can drive you over the edge. You stop typing the letter "l," like such as.

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what RB's are out there??

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 3:23 PM

Mike Bell
Mike Anderson
Najeh Davenport
Reno Mahe
Ron Dayne
Anthony Thomas
Leonard Weaver

Posted by: Da Skinz | July 30, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Quinn Pitcock has retired.

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Let me defecate in your closet.

Posted by: Najeh Davenport | July 30, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Let me defecate in your closet.

Posted by: Najeh Davenport | July 30, 2008 4:07 PM

I thought you just did that on this blog.

Posted by: AFK | July 30, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Of that relatively unimpressive group, I'd bring in Bell first.

Pitcock retired? Wow, he was relatively young to do that.

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

if you are supporting a girl you are not married to, she better have a nice meal waiting for when you get home and be very open for any favors requested. honestly who likes work? its pretty obvious by how much time people spend on here during the day and there are way fewer posts on nights and w/e's when there are better things to do.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

===Quinn Pitcock has retired.===

Posted by: paging nads guy. wherefore art thou, nads guy? | July 30, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wonder what RB's are out there??

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 3:23 PM

Taco Bell
Pamela Anderson
Nigel Davenport
Kemo Sabe
Taylor Dayne
Clarence Thomas
Dennis Weaver

Agreed, that's a pretty unimpressive group, but I'm sure they would bring in Dayne and Anderson for another look.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Do you remember P Diddy's blog crush?
Do you remember Quinn Pitcock from Ohio State?
Or even yesterday?

Posted by: David Bowie | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Was Quinn Pitcock the guy who always gave himself walk-on parts in his own movies?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Dayne????

Is she even still alive?

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Dayne????

Is she even still alive?

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM

Based on this picture, I'd have to say "I'm not sure".

She would certianly give our WCO a different 'look'.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

... our WCO ...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:23 PM

Red card, off the field right now! A Fins fan said "our" about the Skins. Ugh.

Posted by: Referee Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Just for you Cindy -

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:20 PM

I think Cindy will enjoy this more

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Then the kids would do a full Shadow script, with old time sound effects equipment and record it...good times...good times...

Bawk Bawk Bawk.....Chicken Man!

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM

Quentin Tarentino

Posted by: Nope | July 30, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Taylor "Butterface" Dayne

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM

Quentin Tarentino

Posted by: Nope | July 30, 2008 4:25 PM

Sorry 'nope' it was just my pathetic attempt at wordplay on (Alfred) Hitchcock. As I've been red-carded by myself I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I did.

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"Butterface" in that picture looks like a pre-op TS who stopped taking her hormone pills (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Posted by: Dr. Phi | July 30, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Taylor "Butterface" Dayne

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 4:27 PM

That is so true!

Just another example of the value that anonymous posting can bring to this blog (even though I know this anon is chris larry).

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I hear you guys could use my services here

Posted by: Someone with spare bags | July 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

All of these anonymous blog posters have deep-seated psychological issues that suggest years of self-torture and generalized feelings of worthlessness. I suggest each one should make an appointment for counseling immediately.

Posted by: Dr. Phi | July 30, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

aren't we all anonymous?

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

spare nads?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

In an attempt to talk about football, seems like a relatively injury free day at camp, so that is good.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

We really don't need to sign another RB-- that knee-jerk reaction led to the T.J. Duckett mess in the first place. Anyone here from last year remembers how much we all love Marcus Mason. Between him and Rock, I say lets keep it at 4, especially ol' Mikey Sellers in the line-up.

Posted by: TDawg | July 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Do not jinx us CBT

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Can't Take My Eyes Off of You was my wedding song. Better Not Take My Eyes Off of You would have been more appropriate.

Posted by: SMACK | July 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

aren't we all anonymous?

Posted by: ANON | July 30, 2008 4:37 PM

Apparently not. For example, TheCindy knows who I am (as noted above), but has no clue who you are. Many other similar examples can be cited.

Posted by: Dr. Phi | July 30, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey SMACK long time no see!

Who are you backing lately (so I can take the 'put' option)?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I never understood that Duckett trade.

I think the Redskins have the most depth at RB (at least proven depth - WR is an unknown right now). I agree that there is no need to sign a RB unless that person is being signed for special teams.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to dig this Dr. Phi.
Thanks much for the links...See the big baseball trade that just went down?

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

TDawg! Hey dude, welcome back.

On RBs, I say we let TJ Duckett stay in Denver and GIT our picks back!

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm backing Terry Glenn to sign with the Fins. We finally cut her loose. I didn't quite get her flight number, but it's the pink airplane with the tassels on the wing.

Posted by: SMACK | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Many other similar examples can be cited.

Posted by: Dr. Phi | July 30, 2008 4:43 PM

such as? maps?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that Skins do NOT need another RB ... every one is healthy enough ... Portis ... Betts ... Rock ... Mason ... Sellers ... Lorenzo Alexander ...

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Smack is back!

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Farnsworth, for Pudge Rodriquez

Yanks payroll is now 500 Billion.

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

See the big baseball trade that just went down?

Posted by: Cindy | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM

There is no "big baseball trade." Baseball is not even as exciting as Arena Football. A "big baseball trade" would be if they traded the entire season for two extra weeks of NFL.

Posted by: d-bag | July 30, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm backing Terry Glenn to sign with the Fins.

Posted by: SMACK | July 30, 2008 4:46 PM

Could be right there SMACK, but I hope you're not...

In other Fins news we released CB Scorpio Babers today. Hwo can you release a defensive player whose name is Scorpio? The guy must be fantastic...

Other Fins news... A fit-again 67-year old Joey Porter blew up Jake Long twice in training today for sacks on the quarterback. Are there do-overs for #1 picks or something please?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sween you forgot Bueller too...

Oh, and Gilbert Arenas is building a $1M swimming pool at his house. I'm sure for that money it must be pretty tasteful...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

Is there any possibility, at all, that your squeeze will see today's blog? I'd like to see you explaining "No way, honey. My blog handle isn't alex35332. It's Cindy."

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

++++...attended Georgetown Prep with me.

Posted by: p1funk | July 30, 2008 1:57 PM

So Corkczar is a big Adam-West-in-tights-fan? Starting to wonder who the real tranny is...

Posted by: p1funk | July 30, 2008 1:58 PM++++

I went to O'Connell. Whenever someone from our school wanted to beat up a tranny they went over to your Alma Mater.

Wow, Tranny humor. Jokes for folks too thick to get the knock-knock Genre.

All seriousness aside, I NEVER watched the old Batman series. I was, er, tweaking Batman fans who tend to take themselves and their Superhero a smidge too seriously.

My favorite Superheroes? The Winged Weekend Warrier who packs a Gerstunkenuh Ray Gun and whose real name is Benton Harbor. Anyone else know of whom I speak?

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 2:34 PM

Much love to a fellow DC area private high school homie...O'Connell, eh? I remember playing you guys in soccer. You were highly ranked and we beat you...pretty sore losers from what I remember...not that you should like losing or anything.

Posted by: p1funk | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

rc, I read that about porter ealier today. I wouldn't be worried about that. Not yet anyway.

Week 17, if its still happening, then its time to worry.

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Portis ... Betts ... Rock ... Mason ... Sellers ... Lorenzo Alexander ...

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 4:48 PM

Poland! They forgot Poland!!

Posted by: George W. Bush | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:55 PM

Remember how Adam Arhibingus' "trainer" was Jay Schroeder? Jake Long has been training with Tony Mandarich.....

Posted by: dlhaze | July 30, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Are there do-overs for #1 picks or something please?

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 4:55 PM

Oh yeah, RC. Phins will probably have a do-over in next year's draft. And the one after that.

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg | July 30, 2008 4:57 PM

Trouble is Greg I don't know if if means that Porter is finally going to start earning his salary, or is it just that Jake Long really sucks...

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Finally caught up with the 'Skins news. Four days outside of Cincinnati with nary a glance at a computer. Ugh.
F the Bengals, F the Reds, Hail to the Skyline 5-way chili after several beers.

Posted by: 4-12 | July 30, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I never understood that Duckett trade.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 4:45 PM

I remember the suits explaining the trade like this: The Eagles were going to make a big push for Duckett, so we thought it was worth a 3rd round pick to keep him off the roster of an NFC East opponent so that he couldn't hurt us.

Pretty standard Redskins front office logic at the time: Instead of an opponent "hurting" us, we'll go ahead and take the initiative to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Posted by: p1funk | July 30, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 4:59 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Grrrr....

Posted by: Redcoat | July 30, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I never understood that Duckett trade.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 4:45 PM

Posted by: p1funk | July 30, 2008 5:01 PM

Wow, I never heard that explanation. Here in Atlanta, everyone knew Duckett was a bum. I would have been happy if the Eagles grabbed him.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Duckett would have gotten the ball a lot more in Philly. Here, there weren't enough (non-Prison) balls to go around to keep three guys busy.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, don't fret over the Dolphins draft. They may miss a pick or two, but there will be no do-over. Parcells is pretty good at recognizing, drafting and developing talent.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

;alkfj;alkdfj;lasfkj
asdfklasjfd;klasdf
djlkfasdj;lkj
adfkl;ajdflkj

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Jla,
Just heard Larry Michael say on Redskins Nation that you the Sourcerer is responsible for those guys who direct constant negativity at the Redskins. Maybe you two guys ought to settle it once and for all with a contest to see who has more head on his hair. You win Jla, way to go.

Posted by: enuffalready | July 30, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

F Parcells!

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Parcells is pretty good at recognizing, drafting and developing talent.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 5:17 PM

Today he has Terry Glenn in for a visit. If Terry Glenn is the solution, what's the problem?

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will probably keep three RBs and one FB:

Portis
Betts
Cartwright
Sellars

Three TEs should also make the final roster:

Cooley
Yoder
Davis

Rock, Alexander, or Yoder could all backup at FB...

Mason is still eligible for the practice squad.

Nemo is the wild card. He's a 3rd year FB who has been hurt every year and has too much service time to be on the practice squad. Keeping him might knock out a TE, WR, or OL...

Posted by: Siris | July 30, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Jasno and Larry Michael should be locked in a room with a couple cases of beer and a fifth of Jack.

Give them a few hours to work out their differences and all will be good in Redskins Nation.

Posted by: CBT | July 30, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Jla,

Posted by: enuffalready | July 30, 2008 5:19 PM

========================

I want Larry Michaels to lick my taint. Seriously. I'll even bleach it for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Janso has taken a few shots at Larry "Herzog Killer" Michaels, but man does LM have a h@rd-on for JLaC or what.

Its so petty really, I agree enough. Its silly really..

Team owned media depresses me greatly. My 21 year old bro sees nothing wrong with it, we fight constantly about it. I just fear in 10 more years no team will be without its own Pravda. Even if Snyder was "Great Guy #1" its a bad trend...

Oy va Voy

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Given that we are few days away from the first preseason game, I think its time to start thinking about next year's draft.

Seriously, how bored does Gil Brandt have to be to start talking about the next draft? Even Mel Kiper lets his hair down this time of year (it lowers his center of gravity from his sternum to his navel).

That said, Derrick Dockery's younger bro is apparently a featured prospect. My first round choice (a CB from Ohio State) is also in there, but I figure he won't be available when the Skins are picking so late in the first round.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Give or take about 4 spots, we all know what the roster will look like. So only play guys #50-80 for the first couple pre season games You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that get written about now since there won't be any point to writing about them later ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I want Larry Michaels to lick my taint. Seriously. I'll even bleach it for him.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 5:28 PM

From now on, that will be my new name.

Posted by: Bleached taint | July 30, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michaels?? I've only heard him in between Sonny and Sam on game day. From what I've heard, Jasno's kid could kick his a$$. At least the kid has a backbone.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I would hope Nemo gets all the FB reps this weekend and that Sellers enjoys the Hall of Fame itself.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Just practicing trying to say "Larry Michaels" the same way Mora says "Playoffs"

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

want Larry Michaels to lick my taint. Seriously. I'll even bleach it for him.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 5:28 PM

From now on, that will be my new name.

Posted by: Bleached taint | July 30, 2008 5:34 PM

----------------

You know I don't think the word "taint" is referenced enough in this day and age. It's a fantastic word.

Another word I'd like to see get more use is the word queef.

C'mon gang lets make sure that in this modern-day 21st century that the words taint and queef get the respect, and use, they deserve.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

alex, as someone who feels the way your girlfriend does. every day. just park my cab in the middle of 7th and H (yes, 4th i work next to chop't) and leave the passengers in it and just run away...and go to school and get me a J O B where i get paid to just think. not do but just think.

as that person let me say this...do what is right and that is to support her in her decision, whatever it is. in other words "do the right thing". and if you're truely meant to be with eachother and you are who you think she is and she truely loves you, she will understand and make sacrifices and get a job to pull her own weight. if you do love her you have to do this for her and let her have a choice to do the same for you. i'd give her 3 to 6 months personally...and also i wouldn't do this for just anyone...i'd only do this for someone i truely love. and if she truely loves you she'll make a sacrifice as well.

btw...this does not apply if she's going to a med school or a law school. then you have to drop her. because 99% of the time she'll end up leaving you for someone she's studying with or met in school and you'll never see her. i know the rewards are very big but it's a HUGE risk too.

Posted by: dealer | July 30, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

btw there are lots of cabbies who attend post graduate school because it's very flexible and it's straight cash homie! no uncle sam to worry about either. so maybe you can tell her about being a cabbie...where she's her own boss. most of the time you don't even talk to the passengers and if she's easy to look at she'll get big tips. ohh and NEVER pick up college kids!

Posted by: dealer | July 30, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I just fear in 10 more years no team will be without its own Pravda.

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 5:29 PM

I predict the opposite: that no team will have one. No one wants to listen to propaganda, and this business model will not work. Given two stations, one owned by the team and another by, say, Joe Blow, which would you listen to? Which would you trust? Snyder will be losing money and will sell.

Posted by: Motivator | July 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

seriously i was thinking about that. creating a sports talk show on internet radio or xm sirius or something or even buy a station spend a lot of money advertising in right places...and take down 980. it would work. look at "sports junkies"...if those idiots can do it so can we...

diddy, you think i can get money for this venture?

Posted by: dealer | July 30, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

I said that a station owned by Joe Blow would succeed. You might have difficulties, though, getting a license under the name dealer. FCC is tough. Maybe you should change your name to Joe Blow?

Posted by: Motivator | July 30, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 5:20 PM
___________________________________________
On a similar note, if Allen Iverson is "The Answer", what the hell was the freakin' question?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Don't eat for a week. She'll go back to work.

Posted by: Captain Obvious | July 30, 2008 3:01 PM
___________________________________________

Don't bathe for a week...She'll go back to work. Trust me, this works!

Posted by: Triplz | July 30, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Out here in the mountain time zone it's almost 4:20, so thought I would post this:

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Where's Big Murf?

BONG!

Posted by: stumped | July 30, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok...Skins are $1.8 million under the cap, they signed a HOF DE, albeit for a 2nd round pick but was an upgrade from the injured player. Most relevant Redskins FA are signed and in camp.

As much sh@*t as Vinny and Dan take, they should get some love here.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been giving the Spaghetti Gang some respect for their offseason work.

Still think they mismanaged the coaching search and the team would have been better off with GG as HC and Zorn as OC. Still have some issues with the draft though I liked getting the 2 big WRs.

But they did much better with cap mgmt, free agents/trades, keeping players, bringing back the D coaches, keeping Bugel. Lots to respect in that. Lots.

Still think resigning Collins was a bit odd, for both parties. Collins knows where he thrives and should have followed Al to STL.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OMG!!!!! | July 30, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

what do you call random nads on your girls chest?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

not cool man, not cool, we don't need or want favre

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

My favorite quote of the day:

The Maserati GranTurismo S is affordably priced for those who've got the money at $135,000 to $150,000

Doesn't 'affordably priced' mean that you have the money?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Coming in a few hours late on this but work was a beotch...

I ate lunch at Costco today. 1/4 pound hot dog and a 20oz drink for $1.50.

Posted by: etrod | July 30, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Watchin' Comcast on Green/Monk...I'm tearin' up already. I love Darrell Green and Art Monk.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

The FO has gotten quite a bit of love on here except for the die hard haters. I for one believe that they learned much during Gibbs 2.0 and that this year was really telling of that.

Not to say that they are not capable of backsliding (read the CJ trade attempt), but did well overall this off season.

And the coach hire may be the blessing in disguise we have needed (fingers crossed).

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Al, Zeke...

Being a manager myself, one thing I've learned is that there are two sides to a story. Perhaps GG wasn't a good fit. Some assume Danny and Vinny screwed it up. Maybe Gibbs didn't think he was the guy. Danny and Vinny have made many mistakes, but if you take away the emotion and unknowledgable fans, this team has some talent to win. They just needed and continue to need consistency.

The one thing I dread is the Skins giving up on Campbell too soon if he doesn't play well this season.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Based on how Collins has practiced so far and the QBs behind him, I don't think that they will have the luxury of giving up on JC regardless of how he plays until late in the season.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Curzon...

There is something to be said about a hungry new Head Coach.

We just need to stay the course.

We've got youth at:

QB
WR
S
RB
CB (Torrence and Tryon)
DT
TE

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Curz,

Do you think that Gibbs may have been a part of the problem. No disrespect to Gibbs, but I think his demeanor took away some aggressiveness of this team.

God bless him though

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Outside of DE, I think we are ok on the DL too. and if we can develop some of the young OL like Crummy, and not give up anymore 2009 draft picks, we are not too old overall. LB is my biggest concern.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Sic,

Yes, to me we lost games we should have won last year because of Gibbs' conservative play calling. Also, to me, JC's development was stunted by Gibbs. When JC went down, the offense opened up and was one of the factors that got us to the playoffs.

I will always be a Gibbs fan, but he was not up to the coaching part anymore. I am thankful for the way he left the team and what IMO he taught the FO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not just saying this but I think the Skins may surprise.

The only reason why I say this is because of 3 things

1) Upgrades at the WR position
2) Upgrade at DE
3) Veteran team with a good mix of youth

It all goes to hell with injuries!

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

If we can avoid the injury bug (which has us now in preseason) during the reg. season, I would agree with you Sic. Injuries can take any team out of contention. Getting healthy late last season was another factor in us making the playoffs.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted a good explanation of the difference between Gibbs 1 and Gibbs 2 in the last 2-3 threads. Gibbs was trying to play smash-mouth football with a smallish OL, etc.

Technically, Al Saunders was calling the plays, but Gibbs was certainly helping with the game plan.

There is so much unexplained about what happened last season. Who opened up the playbook for Todd, was it Saunders, or Gibbs?

Posted by: stumped | July 30, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, you bring up a valid point, but I think that as the HC, most of the blame has to fall with Gibbs. Not disrespecting him.

Also, Gibbs was a believer in veteran players and stuck with Brunell longer than he should have, which helped to stunt JC.

Keeping in mind that these are my observations and not necessarily what really happened.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Kinda sick of exhuming the Gibbs 2.0 legacy. All in all it was a fun 4 years where we doubled the PO appearances we had in the prievious 10+ years. The team sure as siht in better shape then when he found it, so thanks for that.

And can someone please share me a coach better suited for last season's #21 tragedy and subsequent franchise saving rally than Gibbs?!?!?!?!

Dude made a valiant effort, fought his guts out, restored some legitamcy to the team and helped the NFC east return to beast.

He made two crucial mistakes: Brunell and hiring Saunders.

Thanks Gibbs! Now lests move forward!

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a GM, coach, or player, but last season, I saw a lot of tight play, agonizing decision making when it didn't have to be.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

cL, I am more than ready to move forward. Just responding to a question asked of me. Like I stated, Gibbs did right the ship at RP, and IMO taught the FO how to do things the right way. And will always be a Gibbs fan.

I am way pumped to begin the Zorn era!

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry...

I'm not belittling what Gibbs did during the Sean Taylor tragedy nor his efforts to steady the ship. Personally, I think Gibbs got a pass while Vinny and Danny caught hell...Gibbs was the team president.

I've moved on, but just a little reflection that's all.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"I am thankful for the way he left the team and what IMO he taught the FO."

Who else would Danny or Vinny have ever listened to? It seems to have made a huge difference.

I don't really care how Danny runs the business of the Redskins as long as he figures out how to win (and I think he wants this more than anything).

Posted by: stumped | July 30, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Chris...

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad that we are not the only team that is suffering from hammy pulls.

SWEED SUFFERS HAMSTRING INJURY
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2008, 7:42 p.m. EDT
Steelers rookie receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft pick in 2008, was carted off the practice field on Wednesday with an apparent injury to his right hamstring.

The Steelers are hoping that Sweed can make a significant contribution to the receiving corps as a rookie. At six feet, four inches, Sweed gives quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the big target for which Big Ben has been asking.

Sweed's condition is being evaluated.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I have to roll with my man CL on this one.

Posted by: jm220 | July 30, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Gibbs go 0-5 for starters?

Posted by: TDawg | July 30, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Stumped, agreed on that Vinny and Danny were only going to listen to one person, Gibbs. And we the fans may be the biggest beneficiaries of their learning.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and does anyone know if the Hall of Fame Game will be nationally broadcast? I'm out here in Indiana and wanna pick it up, though I imagine with the Colts playing there's a good chance of that...

Posted by: TDawg | July 30, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

TDawg, it is on NBC on Sunday nite. I believe 8:00pm eastern.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

"C'mon Chris...

You know if Zorn goes 0-2 all this stuff about "ready to move on" and 'pumped to begin the Zorn era" disappears."

I agree some will do that, I will not be one of them. Plus Gibbs retired wasn't fired so its sorta apples/beef jerky...

But sic, calling me Chris...and RI first!

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I should post more often!

Posted by: TDawg | July 30, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

+++As much sh@*t as Vinny and Dan take, they should get some love here.

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 6:37 PM+++

Snyderatto always gets lots of love in the offseason, when it appears their "genius" will bring home another Lombardi. How's that worked out so far?

Hey, if this team stays healthy they can go deep into the playoffs. But they are old, and injury prone. Not only are players more prone to injury when they are older, but the skins have--because of lack of past draft choices--taken guys who were hurt in college, and hopes to see them overperform once healthy in the pros. Golston, Monty and Mac fall in that category. But "Dinged Up" is their middle name.

I can see how fans are impatient--I am--I just think more than one season of laying off high ticket aging vets that cost draft picks would be advisable.

Again, let me say, I hope you have the last laugh in that regard. I'll gladly eat my words.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs 2.0 was more positive than negative, but there sure were plenty of things that Gibbs didn't do well. I'll agree with those who suggest that he was a better team president than HC (despite a few spectacular busts). And he was a better leader than game coach.

What he left behind is a team with playoff-level talent, no major problem guys, guys who have that core Redskins ethic, and a young QB who can start at an NFL level with potential to be one of the leagues better QBs. And Joe Bugel.

The only downsides of what Gibbs left behind is a challenging cap situation, an offense that underachieved and Frosty. All three of which the Spaghetti Gang has attempted to address this offseason.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

++++When I was an educator at the Museum of Television & Radio we used to teach a Radio Workshop using Chicken Man!!!!1

Bawk Bawk Bawk.....Chicken Man!

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM++++

Can't believe someone hasn't made a movie based on it. That was pretty trendsetting humor for the mid-sixties. Hip Irony when Letterman was in high school and Stewart was in diapers.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | July 30, 2008 5:20 PM

Well if you are asking why they are looking at Glenn, you have to look beyond last season when he was injured. Glenn finished the 2005 season with 63 receptions for 1,136 yards and 7 touchdowns, the most receiving yards he had amassed in a single season since 1999. In 2006 he recorded another 1000 yard season and 6 touchdowns. Due to his injury last year, he is a risk, but they won't have to break the bank to sign him. And they get to keep their draft picks. It sounds like a low risk short-term solution. ChrIS LArry, Parcells is a smart manager/coach and I am glad that he is no longer with Cowboys.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

CHICKENMANOMANIA

Chickenman was a radio series spoofing comic book heroes. It was created by Dick Orkin when he was a production director at WCFL in Chicago, Illinois.

The series was loosely based on the original Batman television series. The show started in the spring of 1966 as a segment on the Jim Runyon Show on WCFL. DJ Jim Runyon served as narrator. In the show's 195 episodes, Orkin voiced Chickenman, who worked as shoe salesman Benton Harbor (the name of a Michigan city on Lake Michigan) Monday through Friday at a large Midland City department store and thus he could only fight crime on weekends...his only two days off. His main contacts were Commissioner Gordon and his secretary Miss Helfinger (actress Jane Roberts). Chickenman's mother Mildred (also Jane Roberts) helped as the "Maternal Marauder,"or the "Masked Mother."

Among Chickenman's greatest foes were the Chicken-Plucker, the Dog Lady, Big Clyde Crushman, the Bear Lady, the Very Diabolical, Rodney Farber (former childhood playmate who never forgave Benton Harbor for breaking his red wagon Christmas Day) and the Couple from SHTICK (Secret Henchmen To Injure Crime Killers).

The series was revived in 1973 as Chickenman vs. the Earth-Polluters, an ecology series wherein the Feathered Fighter combats pollution in Midland City and forms the BEAK(Beautiful Earth & Air Keepers) Patrol. There were 52 episodes.

The series was revived again in 1977 as Chickenman Returns for the Last Time Again. In these new episodes, the Winged Warrior expresses feeling that time has passed him by and decides to open a crime-fighting school...that only has one student, Leon Cabblemouth (Orkin's then partner, Burt Berdis). Orkin and Rich Koz co-wrote some of these episodes, as Koz is a long-time fan of Orkin's. This series had 65 episodes.

The 273 episodes can still be heard today on American Forces Radio and Television Service (AFRTS), particularly on stations that broadcast to American Forces stationed outside the continental United States (OCONUS). It can also be heard daily on XM Radio's Channel 151, Laugh USA and more recently on XM Radio Channel 6, The 60's. Several episodes have been used by This American Life.

Dick Orkin has made all 273 episodes -- along with station "promos" and two CDs of exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews -- available to collectors on a 14-CD package from http://www.danoday.com/chickenman.

Posted by: Corkczar | July 30, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

reposting for the second shift crowd, #3 of my Monk and the Hall series. wish they did the comcast on Monk and Green out here ...

Third Down: Monk in the Postseason

Many HOF players got their boost to Canton from how they played in the postseason. Monk's relatively quiet style may not have left the memories like Lynn Swann or Dwight Clark, but Monk was effective. Very effective.

Monk's postseason stats are similar to others in the Hall (see below). In his era, moving the chains was THE key to winning and Monk was a 'move the chains' player. Monk had plenty of big plays, but never a classic moment. Still, Monk ranks second in yards per game in the playoffs among the most recent WRs inducted.

Playoff games, Yards/game, TDs
Irvin 16 82 8
Monk 15 71 7
Stallworth 17 62 12
Lofton 12 62 8
Largent 7 62 4
Swann 16 57 9

People recall big plays in big games. Just for grins, how often did these great players come up 'small' in the postseason?
Player, Games played / Games with UNDER 25 yards of offense
Irvin 16 / 3
Monk 15 / 0
Stallworth 17 / 6
Lofton 12 / 3
Largent 7 / 3
Swann 16 / 5

The HOF players, other than Monk, had roughly 30% of their playoff games with less than 25 yards! Really an amazing stat when you think about it. There were 6 games (almost 10% of the total) for less than 10 yards ... and 2 negative yardage games in there! Monk was the only WR among all the recent HOF inductees not to EVER have a playoff game with less than 25 yards - all the others had MULTIPLE games with less than 25 yards!!

For the record, Monk's yards per game in the postseason also exceeds those of the top WRs looking to get into the Hall this year, Andre Reed, Cris Carter and Tim Brown.

Just this week, an AP article on Monk contained this comment "Monk's big-game stats have been criticized", before noting his contributions in the Super Bowls. But what is there to criticize? Turns out, people's memories. We remember excitement, but excitement is not excellence. Monk was quiet and excellent.

Bottom line, in the postseason, Monk stood tall. Consistently.

(Second down post was in blog A Documentary Worth Watching at 2:19pm and First down was in Blades to Have Knee Surgery at 4:40pm)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

M, I didnt say Parcells wasnt good at what he does, but all the same,

F Parcells.....

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Curz,

God bless him though

Posted by: sicwidit | July 30, 2008 7:27 PM

Sicwidit, they made playoffs last year after loosing their whole right side of offensive line, their starting QB and S. Taylor. It does not sound like a whimpy team to me. And Gibbs successfully motivated every "swinging soul," except of course B. Lloyd.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

M, I didnt say Parcells wasnt good at what he does, but all the same,

F Parcells.....

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 9:10 PM

chrIS LArry, I think that some of his former players will concur with you.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I could see Terry Glenn in a Skins uniform, similar role to what Keenan McCardell was last year. A relatively cheap FA and we only have 2 experienced WRs in an offense that often uses 3 WRs. (OK, Thrash is a vet, but if he's out there a lot, it means something has gone wrong)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke, I agree with you, although I think they won't pursue any more WRs. With two high draft picks at the WR position, they won't be brining in another veteran at this position.

Posted by: M | July 30, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

M, agreed. Glenn could come here if someone get hurt, not sure if anything else makes sense.

Last year, I thought the Skins were making a mistake bringing in McCardell ... but McCardell was a terrific pickup. Loved the way he played. I think that result makes me more willing to give an 'over the hill' vet WR a chance.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Glad that we are not the only team that is suffering from hammy pulls.

SWEED SUFFERS HAMSTRING INJURY
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2008, 7:42 p.m. EDT

Sweed's condition is being evaluated.

Posted by: Curzon417 | July 30, 2008 8:01 PM

When I first read this I was worried, I thought it said Sween suffers Hamstring injury!

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | July 30, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I might have missed this post, But do the Skins Consider picking up John Lynch who quit the broncos today? he has to help somehow even at 37?

thoughts?

Posted by: stivic | July 30, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

T Dawg, how did the whole Full Back adventure go? Still doing it? Or did you pull the plug?

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

'We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt-free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, delusional, and other liberal bed-wetters. We hold these truths to be self evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim they require a Bill of NON-Rights.'

ARTICLE I:

You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV, or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II:

You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc.; but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

ARTICLE III:

You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful; do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

ARTICLE IV:

You do not have the right to free food and housing. Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes

ARTICLE V:

You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in public health care

ARTICLE VI:

You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

ARTICLE VII:

You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat, or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII:

You do not have the right to a job. All of us sure want you to have a job, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful. (AMEN!)

ARTICLE IX:

You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have the right to PURSUE happiness, which by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered by an over abundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

ARTICLE X:

This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!

(Lastly....)

ARTICLE XI: You do not have the right to change our country's history or heritage. This country was founded on the belief in one true God. And yet, you are given the freedom to believe in any religion, any faith, or no faith at all; with no fear of persecution. The phrase IN GOD WE TRUST is part of our heritage and history, and if you are uncomfortable with it, TOUGH!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

oy va voy......

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Holy Moly!

Wonder if that's the same anon who was calling me a racist earlier?

Doubt it...

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 30, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Article X is interesting.

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Wait, haven't we tried the retread CowPie WR thing?
That sucked worse than Duckett!

Posted by: cload & daggar | July 30, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

CL, since you're around, I have a question for you.

Do you guys have lower levels of Football over there? I mean say if you wanted to play, can you just got to a local team, join them and play on weekends or something?

Posted by: kost2 | July 30, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Kost,

there is touch/flag football leagues. FB is a bit to violent and equipment heavy game for casual leagues. There are semi-pro leagues but I have never understood how that worked.

And then there is Arena league...

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

On the contrary, Chia.

We have developed a list of suspects and sicwidit tops it, but alas, we may never know.

The only one truly qualified to answer that question would be a gentleman by the name of the Truth.

Posted by: Sherlock Holmes | July 30, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CL, so in that movie Invincible, about Vince Papale, that football he played in a car park is about the extent a civilian can play football?

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

yeah Kost...pick up games.....the young bucks at my work will actually play tackle with no pads...but for a geezer like me thats instant trip to hospital..

Posted by: chrIS LArry | July 30, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

ARTICLE XII: Frammin at the jim-jam frippin in the krotz!

Posted by: farstriker | July 30, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Cl, that sucks! Is that the same for all the major sports? Or just Football because of the cost involved?

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

As an inanimate object, I'm unfazed by those comments, whoever made them; not a skinhead, not a racist.

If, however, I were something other than the clay figurine I am, then those type of personal barbs would be a compelling reason to stop posting on this beloved blog, which has been a pleasant diversion from my otherwise humdrum existence.

But, whatever....

Posted by: Chia Pet | July 30, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Kost, football is costly and also takes up a bunch of space. Forget the proper equipment and your gonna get pretty badly hurt.

You can have a lot of fun with touch football, still pretty physical. Plus touch is usually played with fewer guys.

lots more baseball/softball and basketball stuff.

Aussie Rules football? Not much here. Why? Because Americans are smarter and also because we have more lawyers to sue

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | July 30, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I find that pretty interesting, over here local footy is an institution, there are clubs all over the place, and most clubs have multiple teams. Same goes for most sports. Even Gridiron, I could go to my local Gridiron team and play in an organised competition (paid referees etc.). Only issue with the Gridiron is that there aren't many teams, fields etc. so if you want to play, you end up having to travel around the state every weekend.

Posted by: kost52 | July 30, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

While I am certain that Chia is not a racist, I'm wondering if he has something against pre-cast plastic type figurines?

Posted by: John D in Houston | July 30, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse