Lorenzo Alexander has faith that offense will improve

Rick Maese explained that the defense might have to carry the offense while that group gets things together under offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Of course, this is nothing new at Redskins Park. The defense did most of the heavy lifting during Joe Gibbs's second stint and Jim Zorn's brief time in charge.

"We've been doing that for the last couple of years," outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said. "But it's a team game and that's what it's all about. So if we need to step up for the next two, three games until the offense warms up and really gets in sync with each other, then that's fine. That's why you have offense, defense and special teams.

"But I'm pretty sure that late in the year, there's going to be games where we don't play that well [on defense] and they're going to put up 30-plus points to help us win games as well. ... They're going to be great. They've got a great leader over there in [Donovan] McNabb, CP [Clinton Portis] ... all those guys are going to step up and make plays. It just takes time. They just need a little more time."

No. 2 running back Larry Johnson agrees, but improvement could occur quickly, he believes.

"Yeah, I think it's going to be like that, but hopefully it won't be like that for long," he said. "The offense has worked. It has always worked since [Coach Mike] Shanahan has used it over the years. It just takes a lot of guys even if you have the right parts. He came in with new guys, guys who are probably not his main guys who he would use to run the offense. But he'll do whatever he has to do to make things work and we have to do the same. ... It's all about sticking with it and making sure we do all of the things we have to do absolutely right to make the offense work."

By Jason Reid  |  September 17, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vincent Jackson's suspension could drop to four games
Next: Texans' Mario Williams presents challenge for Redskins offensive line

Comments

The offense will get it together...just hope we can stay in FIRST place while we wait...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I get what you're saying but bottom line is neither Armstrong or Galloway would be on this roster if we had better options. I'd be higher on Armstrong if he could have made that play in the end zone. NFL starters make that catch and he flat didn't. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see a guy who literally came outta nowhere suddenly becoming the answer to the WR problem. I mean, the Kurt Warner/Rod Smith thing only happens once a generation at best...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 6:00 AM
------------------------------------------
I wouldn't dream of comparing Armstrong to Rod Smith but the thing about that fade was why throw it? I mean, Armstrong made some great catches in the preseason but most of them were in space. I don't recall any fades in the preseason. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that his strong suit is not outmuscling a defender for the ball. Twice. I like Armstrong better in deep crossing routes, GO routes and maybe even taking a shot at the old end around. I'm not being critical of Shanahan's game plan, but those two back to back plays had me scratching my head. I would think using Fred Davis - maybe even DT - on the fade would make a lot more sense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

RSH, Armstrong had the ball in his hands and didn't make the play. Period. His size doesn't really matter in this case since the throw was there, AA got position on the DB and simply bobbled the ball out of bounds. Nothing wrong with the play...it was the execution that was bad.

Hell, I've seen the Panthers throw fades to Steve Smith so it's not unheard of for a smaller player to get a fade. It's more about a guy's skill set (particularly getting a good release, leaping ability and good timing on the jump) than his size.

So I don't care how big our WRs are...just that they make plays.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Armstrong made some great catches in the preseason but most of them were in space. I don't recall any fades in the preseason. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that his strong suit is not outmuscling a defender for the ball. Twice. .... I'm not being critical of Shanahan's game plan, but those two back to back plays had me scratching my head. I would think using Fred Davis - maybe even DT - on the fade would make a lot more sense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 6:33 AM

Isn't that what a good coach does? Shows you one thing in preseason and then the opposite in the regular season. You've got to believe that this play was practiced 10 or 20 times this week and that Armstrong made the catch in practice. Then, on national TV for the first time, he made the drop, twice.

And, I'm with Brownwood on the play calling. The play was there both times and the receiver didn't make it. Can't fault Shanahan for that. Heck, I'll bet even Sherm Lewis would have called the play both times although these days he's calling "B-7, I-24, N-36, G-61, O-my."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 17, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

But what about the dirt balls? Those are his passes that have me concerned. McNabb is going to face a 2 minute drill at some point this season and that's cause for real concern too.

Hessone

McNabb has been throwing those same dirt balls his entire career. It seems like he does it during the middle of games. Like lapses in focus. He was always very effective with the game on the line in Philly and I don't see that changing. With the exception of the Super Bowl where he looked gassed at the end of the game.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 17, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

brownwood25 and beep-beep,
What I saw was a guy getting his hands on the ball and a defender pulling his arm down so he couldn't grasp the ball. I defend what I said that AA just isn't big and physical enough to make that catch with a defender hanging on him. I understand that you put players in situations that the other team could not predict, but you also have to know what play is a slam dunk and which one is a risk. This play was a risk. Okay, you take your shot, didn't get it, and now next play. Don't run it again. That's Zorny. I think most of the offensive play calling was solid, if not spectacular, but those two plays were just downright silly. Yes, Armstrong didn't seal the deal, but I don't think that played to his strength. I am not totally sold on Armstrong, but I won't hold those two plays against him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Alexander concluded, "By the way, Haynesworth is a fat turd."

Posted by: Vic1 | September 17, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

"We also get a conditional pick from the Colts for Tryon. Either way it goes down we will have 2 picks in the first 2 RDs and then 5-6 picks in the 5-7th RDs."

And keeping our clutches on AH will make sense, as even if all we get is a 3rd/4th rounder in return, they'll tender mulitple picks in the middle rounds.

(Throw in trading the 2011 1st rounder away for more mid-rounders--wow!!)

And from those rounds, we'll find the next new Washington Redskins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

RSH, 100% agree that they shouldn't have run the same play to the same guy again...seemed like Dallas was totally ready for that play the 2nd time around. But the first time was fine because it took them off guard and the play was right there...AA just didn't finish. EVERY play in the NFL carries some sort of risk, so I don't see why you view that playcall as a liability if its been practiced and AH has made the play in practice. Dude just has to make that play...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 16, 2010 8:50 PM |

Anyone notice that both Albert_Haynesworth and hessone didn't post to day.

Bet the farm they're the same guy. What a doofus.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 12:06 AM |

Anyone notice that I posted 3 hrs 16 mins before poopy ? Get your facts straight before posting you moron.

Furthermore, poopy, you've been busted by several of us as THE Albert_Haynesworth. Come to think of it, several others think anyone with a line seperating two names is indeed you, poopy. Get a stinking life dude. Oh, that's right, you already have a stinking life.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

But what about the dirt balls?

Am I missing something, or is hess complaining about something that hasn't yet happened?? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that what's going on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Mario Williams Beepage!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

But what about the dirt balls?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:03 AM |

Hessone....

Ya I was at the game n saw the dirtballs myself......

Wasn't happy with those, I recall 3 clear catches if the pass was a foot or two higher

The truth is the timing in our offense is gonna need to develope......

That's why shanny wants his cornerstones to the offense now....

Mcnabb will be fine. This yr is to gain comfort n right the ship

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 16, 2010 9:10 PM |

bean, put your disdain for me to the side for once, my snyder comments from the past, I left tham in the past.

You can't deny McNabb throws dirtballs, and he sucks running the 2 min drill. Crucify me, but that's how some folks see it, including me. Do I hope McNabb can improve on these items, hell yes I do.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

McNabb did throw a couple of dirt balls. The one big knock on him is that when he is in the pocket he has always hit backs and receivers in the ankles on the short stuff. I do think he will be ok in the two minute drill though.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 17, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

We had a few drops. The first pass to AA in the endzone was dropped, Moss dropped 1 by trying to jump for a chest high ball. Roydell was sleeping on one pass. Looking for a big improvement in the passing game this week.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 17, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't expect a 180 degree turnaround in the passing game this week. Sometime in the 2nd half of the season is when those changes usually manifest.

I just like the fact that we can discuss a turnaround in the passing game. Not too long ago all we could make is excuses.

btw, anyone missing Soup now that Chunky is here?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse