Lorenzo Alexander 'very comfortable' with role in 3-4 defense

Many Insider readers expressed skepticism when we reported in February that the new regime would convert Lorenzo Alexander to an outside linebacker.

But look at him now.

"I love it. I am very comfortable" in the new 3-4 base scheme, the Redskins' starting left outside linebacker said. "I let them [the coaching staff] know every day. They help me with coverage stuff. ... You get to move around so much and disguise things, dropping and rushing, which is really throwing people off. I just love being out there in space and making plays."

Alexander played key roles on offense, defense and special teams during the team's late-season run to a playoff berth in 2007. In 2008 and 2009, he was a key member of the defensive line rotation and emerged as consistent playmaker on teams under energetic coordinator Danny Smith.

On tape, Alexander's ability "jumped off the screen" to defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who strongly believed the former undrafted college free agent and practice-squad player would make a successful transition in a backup role. Actually, he moved into the starting lineup in Week 4, supplanting Andre Carter in the first-team lineup before the victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

"It's great," Alexander said. "It's been a long road for me being undrafted and bouncing around for a minute, but finding a home here, it shows that hard work pays off.

"And you can achieve anything by working hard, staying humble and believing in God. Eventually an opportunity will come. It's just about what you do when you have it. I've been coached great and I have been able to make some plays."

The Redskins need all of their playmakers to play well Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, Alexander said.

"Peyton Manning is probably the best quarterback in the league," Alexander said. "He does so many things, he's so smart and he calls all of his plays. He makes checks.

"We have to try to confuse him, but he can definitely pick you apart. I think we have had a good first part of the season playing against some good quarterbacks, especially last week with Aaron Rodgers who is a younger version of him, eventually becoming a Peyton Manning."

By Jason Reid  | October 15, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense, Lorenzo Alexander
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Peyton Manning is not taking the Redskins' defense lightly
Next: Caldwell: Anthony Armstrong is 'a big-play guy'

Comments

MY MAN. Thax Mr.LEE.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 15, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

JReid 'very comfortable' stuffing his face at Old Country Buffet. "I let them [the dining staff] know every day. The pork chops, the macaroni, the mashed potatoes. They cover everything and I'm all over it."

Posted by: pgugino | October 15, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Lorenzo Alexander 'very comfortable' with role in 3-4 defense"

That became obvious when he stopped that 4th and goal play last week...love me some Lo Alexander!

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

This upcoming offseason, I'd love for the Skins to take a look a Alexander playing in the middle as well. Having Alexander and Riley lining up in the middle would be a good look.

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

My favorite thing to do! I've got the money, why not spend it?

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 10:19 AM

Fine, just do it the right way. Spend it to keep our worthy players and when you draft guys. One or 2 good free agents a year is fine but don't jeopardize our cap numbers for over the hump guys.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 15, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I grew up a Redskins fan, and want this team to win. I will do WHATEVER it takes, including spending my BILLIONS, yes, with a B. It's not my fault Vinny was a retard and missed on all of my money and all these FA's. I told him he owes me all of that money back, so he's been cleaning my house, washing my car, waxing my butt, you know, the essential stuff!

Signed,
Dan "The Hobbit" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Count me as one who was skeptical about the Lorenzo Alexander transition. Haslett is a genius for pulling that move off.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 15, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"...especially last week with Aaron Rodgers who is a younger version of him, eventually becoming a Peyton Manning."

I wonder how Peyton feels about this...who is Peyton going to become when that happens?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Dude, what are you, 12?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 10:57 AM
------------------------
I wish!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 11:10 AM

I hate homework...wish I was 22...making more money than when I was 22.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2010 11:05 AM

London Fletcher says 'hi'.

Count me as NOT a fan of an alignment that keeps #59 off the field...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I think Rocky McIntosh is playing very well into a contract extension. At the beginning of the year I was ready to get rid of him, but the dude makes a better inside LB in the 3-4 than an outside LB in the 4-3. Him and Stone Hands both deserve a long term deal.

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Ron Jaworski: Father time might be catching up with Peyton Manning"

Jaworski is a retard a million times over. If he wants something controversial to say to draw attention, he should find something less fickle than a percieved slight change accuracy of passes over a five game stretch which could happen for any number of reasons.

Eat Poopy_Mcpoop's farts Jaws, I can't stand this sort of sensationalist reporting.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 15, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

monk, disagree on rogers and a long term deal...unless its for short, short money...and little bonus...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

London Fletcher says 'hi'.

Count me as NOT a fan of an alignment that keeps #59 off the field...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 15, 2010 11:18 AM

Love LBF. He can't play forever. The team needs to find his replacement this upcoming offseason. Otherwise they could very well be arsed out. Alexander is smart enough to handle calls, and learn the position. Also Rocky being a free agent in 2011, the Skins need a player or two currently on staff to fill potential voids.

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 15, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Todd Collins

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811
from john kiem
I also don’t buy the notion that McIntosh is having a terrific year. When the Redskins didn’t sign him to an extension this summer, I thought it smart for at least one reason: see how well he can do in this defense first. I think he’s been OK; he has a hard time getting off blocks and is ordinary in coverage. He still has to prove he can be effective in this defense.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 15, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A little sideline trick goes a long way. In the fourth quarter of the Packs game, just before the field goal that would have ended the game in Packs favor, Mike Shanahan called the referee to his side gesturing an imminent timeout. Packs field goal kicker saw that and went on the field with the mind set that Coach Shanahan will call a timeout just before the kick. Most NFL kickers used such attempt as practice kick, but Shanahan did not call timeout which actually affected the outcome of the fieldgoal.

My prediction for the Colts game, Redskins win another close one. My previous prediction on the 4 game stretch that started with the Packs was and still is 3-1 with the one loss coming from Bears or Lions.

Posted by: abxinc | October 15, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 15, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Players very rarely play the entire length of their deal anymore anyway, and let's face it, you let Rogers leave and who replaces him? Buchanon? Haha, don't make me spit up my coffee.
The dude might catch like he just came from rubbing down the Thanksgiving turkey with butter and forgot to wash him hands, but he ain't afraid to tackle, and he covers very well. Not that he's the long term solution, but for the next 3-5 years it looks like we are STUCK with him, which is ironic cause balls don't stick to his hands. That being said we do need to groom another corner or 2, not sure Barnes is the answer, at least not to start.

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | October 15, 2010 11:01 AM

This is so random and stupid that I had to laugh.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 15, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2010 11:05 AM

I was advocating moving Zo to a middle spot when floating the Shawne Merriman proposal.

If we can bring in Merriman to play the other OLB spot and let Rocky Mac walk, then we could start a 3-4 LB corps of Orakpo/Fletch/Zo/Merriman.

Keep developing Perry Riley and Robert Henson. Let HB Blades walk after this season or sign him to something small. Re-sign Chris Wilson to something reasonable for depth.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 15, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree to an extent. I'm not saying he's the best ILB in the league, but he's playing a lot better than he was the last couple of years. Like Rogers, he's not perfect, but we have enough things to fix on this team, we can afford to give McIntosh and Rogers like a 3 year deal or something, then try and find their replacements in that time.

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Why bother with MacIntosh?

If he's playing well, and his price rises, let him walk and test the FA market.

Between Zo, Riley, Henson and HB Blades, we can probably find a cheaper alternative who will give us roughly the same kind of play (if not better)...it's not like Rocky is have a ProBowl year or anything like that.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 11:24 AM
-------------------------------
agreed

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 15, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Why bother with MacIntosh?

If he's playing well, and his price rises, let him walk and test the FA market.

Posted by: p1funk | October 15, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

If he continues to be among the leaders in tackles by mid season and keeps hitting hard he just might make the Pro Bowl.

And why not McIntosh? The front office knows what he's worth, and I'd rather spend money on the player that's already been in the system for a year and might get better at it next year than take a chance on another player that might play worse and be ANOTHER FA bust!

We have a lot of needs for next year, and I wasn't planning on ILB being one of them. We only have like 4 or 5 draft picks, most notibly a 1st and 2nd. It would be nice to pick up a big NT with one of them, and the other can be maybe an OG or WR, with RB being addressed in the later rounds, as well as FS and DE. The upgrade for ILB will have to come at a later time.

That's the way I see it.....

Posted by: monk811 | October 15, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander's new name: the lorax

ps- this story is racist (and so are the redskins). sincerely, mike wise

Posted by: leedisantis | October 15, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I just don't understand what people are looking at. This guy has been running down kick returners in the open field for a while now. Why would it be so hard to do the same on defense? Zo reminds me of another Special teams guy name Antonio Pierce. After watch him crush people on Special teams, just couldn't understand why they were not starting sooner. Wait a minute, let me see if Carl Banks, J. Trotter, Warrick Holdman!!, or anyother teams old has beens are available. Can you say Adam archuleta?? Wait! Thats a never was...

Posted by: fullbagg | October 16, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse