Louis Riddick Is Gone

The Washington Redskins have released longtime football operations official Louis Riddick, according to league sources. Riddick's contract, like that of many people in the football operations/scouting department, was to expire this summer, and the team informed him that his deal will not be renewed, sources said.

Riddick, a former NFL defensive back, spent the last three years as pro personnel director, working directly below Cerrato and in essence the fourth most important figure behind Snyder, then coach and team president Joe Gibbs and Cerrato.

Riddick was once a rising star in the organization, forging a strong bond with vice president Vinny Cerrato and owner Daniel Snyder during seven years in the organization, but his profile had cooled in the last year. During interviews with prospective head coaching candidates several involved in the process came away believing Snyder and Cerrato would be moving on without Riddick.

Shortly after Gibbs departed in January, and Cerrato was promoted to the top of the football operations staff, Cerrato promoted Scott Campbell above Riddick in the organization, marking a transition in the club's hierarchy (Campbell was promoted from director of college scouting to director of player personnel). Last week the team awarded a new contract to Eric Schaffer, the vice president of football administration, but when Riddick was not renewed executives from other teams figured he would soon be leaving.

(Riddick was told he was no longer needed on Friday, sources said, without Snyder or Cerrato present. Scott Campbell was charged with telling Riddick he was gone, sources said, which I'm guessing probably left Riddick more than a little miffed).

Cerrato has altered the scope of the organization since Gibbs left, having significant input into the hiring of head coach Jim Zorn, and the firing of both coordinators, as well as leading an overhaul of the remaining coaching staff. Cerrato fired pro scout Terry Ray and replaced the team's director of communications and director of security this offseason, while the club also parted ways with its orthopedic surgeons and revamped its medical team since Gibbs retired.

The Redskins have not made a decision regarding replacing Riddick's position, according to a team official. As director of pro personnel Riddick was a key party in scouting Washington's opponents as well as evaluating potential free agent and trade acquisitions. Riddick has recently been in contact with other organizations seeking positions in a scouting role, sources said.

A message left for Riddick was not immediately returned.

By Jason La Canfora  |  May 12, 2008; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Picking Up Two Terps
Next: Front Office Shake-Up

Comments

Lorenzo Alexander for football operations official

Posted by: Alex35332 | May 12, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: BigMurf08 | May 12, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

first! even if it's somewhat less important

Posted by: tnt828 | May 12, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Thus ends the Chronicles of Riddick.

"All the power in the universe can't change destiny."

Posted by: SCSkins | May 12, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

fifth!

Posted by: bmo63 | May 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

whew, now i can sleep at night.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

So Long Louis! Sounds like Vinny has fired the man responsible for two of the Skin's biggest weaknesses over the last four years. In Vinny we trust, as long the Danny keeps his hands out of things.

Posted by: Kevin | May 12, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stumped | May 12, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

It's okay to make fun of my Multiple Personality Condition

Posted by: Herschel Walker | May 11, 2008 5:07 PM

Wondering if one personality was
George Herschel Walker Bush.

Posted by: skinfanman | May 12, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kevin | May 12, 2008 7:44 PM

Any chance that Vinny can fire Dan Snyder, too?

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 12, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

If theycan get me out of this lock down, I'd gladly take the position. I'll cut people deep with that colon shank.

Posted by: Prison Balls | May 12, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Drivel for the blog.

Posted by: stumped | May 12, 2008 8:15 PM

Those power rankings are a joke.....I mean It's just so safe in the picks ..Almost want to sream at the guy...OK CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!

Posted by: Leevi | May 12, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

regarding those power rankings-

no way in hell the browns, saints, and vikings are ahead of the skins.

i'm pissed.

Posted by: dwdjmu | May 12, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Browns I get, even saints to a point. But the Vikings???

Posted by: Alex35332 | May 12, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Those Power Rankings have the 'Skins in 4th place this year.

Posted by: SCSkins | May 12, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Jason La Canfora pops up when there is a story that can possibly be bad for the Skins!!

Who didn't see that coming!! HA!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

yawn

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

The Skins will go 4-12 this year. Snyder and Cerrato will have no one to blame this time. My Skins will once again be the joke of the league. F'ing Snyder and Cerrato, I hate you both.

Posted by: Wonderbread | May 12, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye, Louis. I'm sure you were a great [insert position here]. Glad to know you've decided to spend more time with [family member list]. Maybe you can even get out and [entertainment activity]!
Your Pals
The Redskins

Posted by: cload & daggar | May 12, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

At least they won't be the joke of the bread aisle!

Posted by: cload & daggar | May 12, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Do you think he went by "Lou," "Louie" or "Louis"? Or maybe something else?

Gosh, we hardly knew ye.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Riddick was an NFL safety for seven years in the 90s, and Campbell was an O lineman in college, at UGA. I never heard of either of these dudes. But here, from the Skins news vault, is a press release mentioning the both of them, from three years ago this month...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Here's another story from the Skins site, about Monk and Green raising the charity deal on their way to Can-ton.

Also, the author of that piece, Casey Husband, looks like he could be Meat Loaf's deranged little brother. Just sayin'

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 12, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay, lots of changes this offseason, but still a lot of wasteful repetition in RI blogging.

So here's the updated, new for 2008, RI blog shorthand table. Please save busy readers valuable time by employing this shorthand for common posts.

-------------------------

RI-19. Lack of registration sucks

RI-20. The whole thing is a SJKing shabingus

RI-21. I spend too much time on RI stuff

Posted by: farstriker | May 12, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

RI-21

Posted by: chris Larry | May 12, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

According to pft.com, Soup will be at Shea Stadium tomorrow night singing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" during the Seventh Inning Hamstring Pull.

Posted by: SMACK | May 12, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

WHERE'S SVRLUGA?????

Posted by: Jimmy Tango | May 12, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | May 12, 2008 11:01 PM

i heard he's been practicing singing to a clay bust made by a blind woman.

"is it me you're looking for?"

Posted by: dwdjmu | May 12, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

Of course the Vikings. Get used to it. They are the media bandwagon pick to be the next out of nowhere team.
Reasons:
-Solid o-line with pro-bowlers
>Dominant d-line with pro-bowlers
}Next 'it' running back
+Play the Lions and Bears twice a year.

Now having said that, I think they will disappoint. I don't believe in Childress, in Jackson, or the receivers. They also play the AFC & NFC South this year.

Posted by: bangkokben | May 12, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I love the firings of good people around Redskins Park simply because they represented the old guard. Nothing that happened before could possibly have been right.

This one doesn't resonate like the Grilliams bingus because Riddick wasn't on tv every Sunday but I guarantee it affects those at the park just as much. You always hear about guys leaving who were once highly thought of from an organization in chaos. Guys who were part of the front office structure are somehow no longer welcome as back room handshakes and gossip permeates through like high school cliques trying to bring down a different group of friends.

You have 1 a$$ kissing yes man who rids the company of anyone who doesn't toe the line and drops a stone of blame on them as they go out the door. I've seen this act before and it's awesome to watch it play out corrupting my favorite franchise on earth.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | May 12, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

How could I forget R-22?

R-22. F chRIs Larry

Posted by: farstriker | May 12, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Louis Riddick:

Once a "rising star," whose "profile had cooled."

-----------------------

Would that make Louis a white dwarf or a supernova, or something in between?

Forgive me, but I'm a little fuzzy on my asstronomy...

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 12, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

"A message left for Riddick was not immediately returned."

--------------------

WTF?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 12, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

i heard he's been practicing singing to a clay bust made by a blind woman.

"is it me you're looking for?"

Posted by: dwdjmu | May 12, 2008 11:19 PM

Or Endless Love to a Chia Pet.

Posted by: SMACK | May 12, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

"During interviews with prospective head coaching candidates several involved in the process came away believing Snyder and Cerrato would be moving on without Riddick."

-------------------------

Whose d*ck are Snyder and Cerrato moving on with, then?

Each other's?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 12, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I vote for RI-11.

Jason Campbell rode the short bus to school.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 12, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

As reported here, another classless move by the Skins FO. At least tell the guy he's leaving to his face, VinnySnyrado.

Posted by: worstSeat | May 12, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Makes no diff if you tell him to his face or his back.

The guy is clearly a d*ck and we're better off without him.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 12, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Yep, the Vikes are sure to disappoint. It's what they do best! Especially with 100K zuba-wearing heshers shouting about superbowls on the radio. It's fun to watch their hearts break slowly. It happens yearly.

That said, my heart was made to be broken (by skins) and hell, I'm a gonna root for the Vikes this year, too.

Posted by: mnskinsfan | May 13, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Hard to get too riled up about this one. I see two dudes who feed info up the chain to the Decision Makers at the top. One of them gets promoted over the other, then gets to show the other the door. Whoop dee doo.

We could have the greatest scouts in the world, but with Daniel and Vincent at the helm it simply would not matter. In my opinion.

WR-TE-WR.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

ArtMonkToTheSticks, while I know nothing about the Riddick situation, I recently read in another local paper that when Gibbs and Williams were here, the Defensive coaches and Offensive coaches were at constant odds. Williams wanted his way and Gibbs (with good reason since he was the head coach) wanted his way. This was why Williams did not get the HC position - although I still do not understand why they put him through the interview process so many times instead of just saying "goodbye" immediately. According to the article I read, Gibbs wanted Blache to be named HC.

Nevertheless - and I was a HUGE Williams supporter - everyone seems much happier at the Park. I've seen Blache interviewed several times and I'm loving him. He said in one interview that although Utopia probably does not exist, that his life right now is as close as it gets.

Posted by: Lisa | May 13, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Farstriker,

Big fan of the blog shorthand table, 2008; will prove useful, no doubt.

Thanks.

---------------

Lisa,

I agree with everything you post, 110%.

Wouldn't you love to know exactly what happened in the GG interview sessions?

Ggrilliams must have really flubbed it hard, don't ya think?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 13, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

RI-9:

WR-TE-WR

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 13, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

The Spaghetti Gang continues to lay down the law.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 13, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Chia.

I'm excited about the kind of blogging we'll be seeing this year. We expect a bunch of the rooks we've picked up to make the final blog roster and contribute a lot.

This is a kind of blogging that requires speed, precision, and quick reads; we think the blog shorthand table will make that easier.

You're going to be seeing a whole lot of RI-3s, RI-11s and of course a ton of RI-13s and whatnot, en route to 100K and beyond.

Posted by: farstriker | May 13, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Its a little scary at how well Farstriker understands the blog. I'm sure he can toss out a RI-21 at will.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | May 13, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

I have no idea what you kids are talking about, but I love you anyway.

Posted by: P Diddy | May 13, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

RI-22: Coach Cowher has a nice ring to it

Posted by: P Diddy | May 13, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Obama to be in our front office after an epic loss.

He can smooth talk the WP sports writers.

Posted by: mul | May 13, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

I have lost my kool-aid post draft feeling.

Zorn does not look like he is ready for HC yet. ( I don't know)

I think Vinny can draft but the rest is No Good.

Posted by: mul | May 13, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Any messages for me?

Posted by: Louis Riddick | May 13, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Ignore previous post. Louis Riddick is one of mine.

Mine, too.

Posted by: Herschel Walker | May 13, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Browns I get, even saints to a point. But the Vikings???

Posted by: Alex35332 | May 12, 2008 9:22 PM

I think the Vikings have a real chance to be good. Granted that chance is dependent on the most important position, QB, being adequate at least. With AP running the ball and an already stout D now with Jared Allen they should be in the mix.

Posted by: mtnskinfan | May 13, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

JLaC got this one right.............

Posted by: 4th | May 13, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Disagree about Minny. While their defensive line is very good, they're a one dimensional team on offense. Take the Redskins game versus Minny last year. Load up 9 guys in the box, stop the run, and make Tavaris Jackson beat you, which he hasn't proven he can do that.

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, can you talk to Manny for me? He is starting to hurt my fantasy team....

Posted by: chris Larry | May 12, 2008 4:51 PM

CL, I texted him about your fantasy baseball problem before the game. He said he'd take one out oppo for you.

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

after week 2 all the world will know that the skins are more powerful than the saints. Or as John Madden would say, more "paaarfull"......

Posted by: dlhaze | May 13, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey friends,

Its been a while for me. Got roughed up in a car accident last week. Feel like Troy Aikman after he got LaVarred.

I will gladly accept all well wishers' concerns and prayers. To avoid repetition and excessive "friendliness" up here, I will say thanks in advance for all of you who care.

Thank God for Aflac. Its Quacktastic!

RI - 424.4(b) "Get well soon Dorf!"
RI - 36.9(AA) "Get back to proctoring SOLs Dorf!"
RI - 14 1/2 "You suck Dorf!"

Posted by: Dorf | May 13, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

PDiddy, I think RI-22 is already F cL ... so Cowher for Emperor would have to get in line at RI-23.

The reason people would be up on the Vikings right now is their running game and D line. Peeps here don't quite seem to remember that their inside D-linemen (both named Williams I think) are killers ... and Adrian Peterson was a rookie last year ... so they now add Jared Allen ... and maybe Erasmus James can flower someday. Plus, they get two more wins by virtue of Favre leaving. Remember the words of Old School, though. Without a QB, they are nada. Tavaris, we hardly knew ye. JD Booty, love the name, but you are still a rookie.

The most telling thing about those power rankings is that the NFC East is STILL projected to be the most dominant division in the NFL.

Riddick played by the rules, including the asskissery to K-Ninjeratto, but SOMEONE had to take a bullet for Blloyd and Archubingus. And if the Kindergarten Ninja takes a bullet, then the Cheese stands alone.

Posted by: dcsween | May 13, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Also, RI-22 and RI-424.4(b)!

Posted by: dcsween | May 13, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, I also wholeheartedly agree with you. My theory on why they put Grilliams through the battery of interviews is simple: they wanted to pick his brain for ideas and opinions. How they handled everything was horrid in terms of how they treated people, and continue to do so. However, in the process they brought in a bunch of people who not only work well together but also have the responsibilities and supports that they want, making everyone happier. As long as the dreaded hammy pull doesn't plague the team, I'm happy.

Posted by: Karen | May 13, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Farstriker's pretty much right on,

the one he missed? . . .

Extremes all suck!

St. Joe is laughing all the way to the bank! (and Marty & Spurrier - soon Jimmy-Black & Maroon too)!

Posted by: Bulldog | May 13, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

RI - 424.4(b)

-Nate in the PDX

P.S. I *heart* blog shorthand.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I can't remember who the doctors were up here... I can't remember (on account of the concussion). Too many doctors, lawyers, CEOs and government officials up here to keep straight.

Anything speed up head trauma healing besides more sleep and extra fluids? I got a softball game next monday that I don't want to miss!

Posted by: Dorf | May 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

RI - 424.4(b)

Posted by: 4th | May 13, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Dorf, Godspeed on the recovery.

What bat are you swinging, or are you not that into softball?

I usually use 1 of 2. Either a Demarini EVO, or a Worth PST-XPST4. Both are bomb droppers.

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I think you beat me up about this guy's character prior to the draft. Kudos to you!

HARDY ALLEGEDLY PULLS GUN ON FATHER
Posted by Mike Florio on May 13, 2008, 8:29 a.m.
Every team that picked a receiver in the 2008 draft is hoping to find the next Marvin Harrison.

But not in this way.

Rookie receiver James Hardy, a second-round draft pick of the Buffalo Bills, allegedly pulled a gun on his father on Sunday.

Hardy's name has been removed from a police report regarding the incident, but other evidence pointed to Hardy pointing the gun at his father. Fort Wayne, Indiana police chief Rusty York confirmed that Hardy was the guy who allegedly pointed the gun.

But York said that the matter isn't being pursued, because Hardy's father wasn't injured.

Um, guys? Anyone who has a gun pulled and pointed at him or her isn't injured unless the trigger is pulled. But that doesn't make it, you know, not a crime for the person to pull and point the gun.

This is another example of the biggest flaw in the league's Personal Conduct Policy. If a player engages in bad personal conduct in a jurisdiction that isn't inclined to arrest and prosecute him for it, then the player will likely escape scrutiny from Commissioner Roger Goodell. In contrast, if another player does the same thing in a town where the cops decide to push the thing, then the player also will face a greater chance at discipline from the league office.

Of course, the league could still decide to perform its own investigation and mete out discipline. However, we're not aware of any situations in which the league has investigated a player for violating the Personal Conduct Policy, absent the pursuit of criminal charges.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 13, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Curz, Wow, thats incredibly unfortunate. Honestly, I hope he gets whatever help he needs, and stays the heck away from firearms.

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

In news around the league, right about now seems like the time of year that teams fire/hire new scouts ... so Louis Riddick at least has THAT going for him. Personally, I'd buy his book if it was a kiss-and-tell.

Posted by: dcsween | May 13, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

last season i used a DeMarini White Steel and sometimes a Worth Titan (depending on the previous game's outcome... My buddies and I are pitching in this season for a new bat. Not sure what kind yet.

I'm more of a hit for average/drive in runners kind of guy. A lot of oppo slices and line drives. My hitting style disappointed my buddies (I'm 6'2" 225 lbs.) because I look like a bomb dropper. But they pop out to the outfielders half the time anyway. As long as we win right?

Problem is we play in a church league where most teams abide by the "membership" bi-laws... but you get one or two teams with a bunch of ringers that make you think "what's in their communion bread?"

Posted by: Dorf | May 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Whose offering their friendliness up here?

RI - 14 1/2

Nah, just kidding.
Get well!

Posted by: Anonreg | May 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Dorf, same type of league I play in. I swung a White Steel for a while last year, the end cap came off later in the year though. The EVO is a nice bat, Demarini's are never a bad purchase if you're looking. We've also got a couple Miken bats, if you like the composite route, they're great bats too. They never seem to wear out.

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and beep beep

Posted by: Greg | May 13, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Re: HARDY ALLEGEDLY PULLS GUN ON FATHER

Are we going to make this guy out as a "problem child" already? Do we know the FULL facts or are we profiling again?

Because he does fit the bill. Doesn't he?

Posted by: Red | May 13, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

RI - 424.4(b)

RI - 36.9(AA) because misery loves company and I'm doing SOL reviews with my kids every night.

Posted by: mmok | May 13, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato has demonstrated he is one of the most incompetent execs in professional sports in Europe and the Americas. He doesnt need anymore time. He plays pick up the bar of soap in country club locker room and at Redskins Park w/ Danny Does anyone believe that if Danny was forced to sell the Skins Cerrato would keep his job or get another one on the NFL? Please get real deadskin fans. You are stuck with one of the most incompetent owners in pro sports. It aint going to get any better.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse