Lovie Smith Conference Call

Bears Coach Lovie Smith is doing a conference call with us now. I asked him if he got to watch some of Sean's funeral Monday, which was attended by a group of his players including Devin Hester, Adam Archuleta and Tommie Harris.

"I was able to see some of it, some of the repays of it," Smith said. "Of course it's tragic. There's not a whole lot more that I can say except that we lost a great guy, we lost a father, a teammate and it's just tough when you lose someone that young."

Smith said the Bears would have gone along with any attempts to move back Thursday's game, but he was not surprised the Redskins did not push to get the game postponed.

"Life has to go on and I'm sure it was probably talked about a little bit in the Commissioner's office what was best for the league, and you go from there ... But
of course we would have been open to anything that would have made the situation better."

As for the short week, Smith said you generally start game planning a bit for a Thursday game the week before, but there is little chance to have full-contact practices and prepare as normal. "There's enough time for us to get ready for the game."

Also, he spoke about former Redskin safety Adam Archuleta, who had an awful season here last season and was traded to Chicago for a sixth round pick in the offseason. Archuleta was recently demoted to special teams duty and is not playing regularly for the Bears.

"It's all based on production, and we go each week with who gives us the best chance to win," Smith said.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 4, 2007; 1:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Update (UPDATED AGAIN)
Next: Sean's Locker At Redskins Park

Comments

Ha! Archibingus is again the Special Teams Starter that we knew.....

4thFloor

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Arch Deluxe getting demoted on the Bears makes the Redskins look even more stupid for bringing him in... had he excelled in Chicago, we could have said "oh, he just didn't fit into the system" or whatever... having him slip to special teams and limited field action, they get to say "oh well, what's a 6th rounder?" where as the Redskins still look like losers for bringing him in with the big money...

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

True dorf;

and of course the bears would have gone along with eliminatuing a short week... duh!

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 4, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Archuleta. He was pretty good for the Rams, and his career has simply tanked completely. It's very unfortunate for him.

On the previous thread, folks were chiming in about "going back to football" and the like. If you don't like the Sean Taylor coverage, or don't want to hear it, do the classy thing and be quiet about it. People grieve for different reasons. I feel terribly sorry for Sean, his family, and his 'Skins family. I have no personal desire to give to the trust fund, nor will I succumb to celebrity adulation of any kind. But that's me.

Respect other people and leave them to their opinions, grief, and sorrow on this matter. There are plenty of us who do want to talk football and who will talk football with you. Don't disparage those who wish to express their sorrow.

Stay classy.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 4, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 01:35 PM

Hard to imagine that anything makes them look stupider, but yeah you have a point. At least the got rid of Arch a lot easier than they're going to with Brandon Lloyd. Bears took part of the cap hit for us with Arch, but I don't think they'll step up next year for a piece of Lloyd.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll trade away the first (McFadden) pick 4th. We don't need a running back - certainly not a "blow all your cap space on a first round first pick" running back anyway. Ronnie Brown was leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage before he got injured and even Jesse Chatman averaged 100yds a game as a starter before he got injured too... We need a whole new defense, some WRs, and a Punter, coz' ours is baaaaaaaad. But if we don't get them this year, there's always next.

Don't get the whole "hate the '72 Fins" thing KMK. That whole "champagne celebration" thing was cooked up by the media, they're just a bunch of retired guys who get wheeled out to 'celebrate' to make a story. I doubt they really care, their place in NFL history is secure, even if the Pats do it (and I think they won't) the Fins did it first. As for us going 0-16, the Bucs beat us to that record a long time ago so why do you care?

Stumped/Z/4th/4-12/JM/SMACK/Nate/Kost/anyone I missed, good luck to all in the remainder of NFL Fantasy too. It looks like my team left their 'surge to the playoffs' a week late on there. :-(

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 01:39 PM

Thankyou mmok, the Dolphins need all the support they can get right now! I've developed a soft spot for the Skins, and at least it helps me talk football with my in-laws who are both Skins fans.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. We saved face because we got da Bears to take on the $5 out of the $10 million gaurentee.........

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

RC, thanks for your post in the other thread.

I can't believe some of the things that people are posting, unrelated to football.

To the person whom it was written, don't lower yourself to their level, you're much, much better person than that.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I can't feel sorry to anyone making millions to be a personal punt protector. He is who we thought he was - a horrendous coverage DB - safeties who can not cover are worthless in todays game. We need a win Thursday to lift our spirits. This is the lowest point I have ever felt as a Skins fan in my 20 or so years rooting for this team.

Posted by: cdubb | December 4, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

From the last post.Very well said Redcoat. You have to realize that some people are unhappy with their lives and want to make other people feel the same. I just ignore them and enjoy people like yourself.

Posted by: jm220 | December 4, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Diddy--

Arch really had done well before he came here and no one thought he was the wrong guy for the Redskins. Everyone thought we paid too much (but they always think that and they're always right), but no one questioned whether he'd fit in.

What's your theory on why Arch did well with the Rams and no where else? Was he lucky? Around the right guys? Has he stopped putting out the effort?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

You gotta give the 'Skins front office credit for getting the Bears to take on the burden of Archuleta's contract. Player decisions (as talent evaluator will attest :-) ) aren't an exact science. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. Even the Patriots screw up from time to time. To gamble on Archuleta, then cut your losses so shrewdly, well...that's pretty shrewd :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 4, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat - I agree and that would be a smart move because you guys are rebuilding and you can ask for a whole lot this year if you hold the #1 pick in the draft. I just ask you to please please please don't trade that #1 pick to the Cowboys..........

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I give the front office credit for getting the Bears to take Archuleta's contract and give up a draft pick as well. What was they thinking?

Posted by: jm220 | December 4, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

My theory on Arch is that his training regimen (which I have been putting myself through for 6 months to prepare for snowboarding season) probably did him in. It's pretty intense (and, as a 30-something guy who is a little soft around the middle, I can assure you that I am putting forth nowhere near the effort that Archuleta and his trainer, Jay Schroeder, do.)

I just think his body wore down on him.

Again, that's a theory, and one right out of my SJK. I've never met the guy, never been at field level with the guy, never been in a gym with the guy, etc.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 4, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It is pretty funny, though, that he is a $10M personal punt protector again. I feel sorry for him, but you have to laugh at that one. I wonder if he'll screw up this weekend and give up another punt block.

Oh, and let us not forget that he is married to one of the hottest chicks on the planet. :-)

Posted by: PDiddy | December 4, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"I just ask you to please please please don't trade that #1 pick to the Cowboys.........."

Or the Giants. Or the Eagles.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 4, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Arch is, once again, a starting personal punt protector confirms that he simply isn't that good. Maybe Gregg didn't have a personal vendetta against the guy after all.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I want the Dolphins to absolutely FLEECE the cowboys out of thier two first round picks, and MORE, for McFadden.

RC, see what you can do to make this happen.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | December 4, 2007 01:53 PM

JM--He'd played for Lovie at St. Louis so they thought they had the right system for him. Also, there's this theory that at the Redskins people get "in the dog house" and are not used even though they're good. I never believed it myself, but plenty of people do, and people thought there was value in Arch and in Arrington that the Redskins just were too dumb to harvest.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think he suffers from "hot woman" syndrome (HWS). Anyone with a lady that fine will ultimately lose a step or two on the field.

Mick warned Rocky about that...

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Jay Schroeder? What's his training regimen? Have LT line up and come after him to make his wind sprints more effective? haha

Posted by: OldManGibbs | December 4, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla -- I'd love them to trade it to the Giants. Remember the last #1 they traded for? Eli Manning?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Diddy knows what I'm talking about...

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Right, but the Cowboys have 2 1st round draft picks in the next draft and my sources tell me that Jerry Jones is drooling all over McFadden and will pull a Ditka in the draft just to get him.

That's why none of the RBs on their roster have received an extension on their contract, yet.....

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

McFadden and Romo in the same backfield? Sounds like a linebacker's worst nightmare.

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

10-4 Greg, I put a call into Randy Mueller and he's on hold right now. What was it I have to do again? Something about "the vessel with the pestle"?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

LOL, RC.

Someone inevitably will fall in love with that pick, and pay a kings ransom for it. Hopefully thats Jerrah...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

THANKS STUMPED APPARENTLY I AM KMK TOO. SO ANYONE OUT THERE THINK WE MOVE LARON TO FREE SAFETY, OH IM SORRY LISA, ARE U STILL CRYING THAT ITS TOO SOON FOR FOOTBALL. GO SHAVE UR PUSSY

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | December 4, 2007 01:21 PM

Am I wrong for laughing at that? It was just so...unexpected.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Is McFadden that good? Bush was supposedly THAT good and hasn't taken the NFL by storm - except for endorsements (I have him second to BBM). I don't follow college football at all so I have no idea.

I'm surprised the Cowgrrls want another running back, the two they have are pretty useful. Hmmmmm, maybe we could trade them Marion Barber AND 2x 1st rounders for our pick then....

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is just reaching out to P_McP and KMK. the posts you made at the end of the last thread are very different to some other ones, let's keep the chat going guys!

And yes P_McP I think it IS a little unrealistic to expect winning seasons all the time anyway.

IMHO the Skins had enough starting 11 talent to make a good run this year but in an attritional sport like football it's as much about the guys who spell the starters as the season wears on. It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

GA, yeah, I think it is wrong to laugh at something like that. Just my .02 cents. Lisa has been posting for a while, and this jjwilson cat appears to be nothing more than an a$$, trying to instigate the masses. She shouldn't have to read crap like that.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I watched McFadden a few times this year and he looked "special". More Adrian Peterson special than Reggie Bush special. To me, Reggie Bush was that kid in pee-wee football that wowed everyone and made every high school coach wish he lived in their zone. (and then that kid gets to high school and is still 5'2" and 125 lbs.)

Reggie Bush owned the NCAA, but has yet to show me anything in the NFL. Peterson was injured a lot but even on that play that he broke his collarbone on last year (in college)where he scored the touchdown... just wow. Not Reggie Bush wow, but wow. That's the kind of wow I see in McFadden.

Now if I could only get someone to pay me for my opinions and ability to evaluate "wow-ness."

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

McFadden is the truth just as the real Adrian Peterson is the truth.

I knew reggie bush would be some bush in the NFL. He and Leinart were pumped up by the USC/Cali hype machine where there is no NFL and they worship the Trojans...

McFadden - you do not want to pass up.

4thFloor

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

gregmarino
You're right, it just caught me off guard. But anyway, I'm glad to see everyone finally focusing on the offseason. It's about freakin time! McFadden is similiar to Peterson and Norwood (in ATL). Big upper body, slim lower body. But his running style is comparable to Peterson. Now I don't know if he's as powerful as Peterson, but the Cowboys would love to switch him and Barber in and out with Jones likely gone. The Skins need a D lineman, same thing they needed in last years draft but failed to get. Then, and only then, would I look for an O lineman.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

As bad a decision as it was to sign Arch, at least we had the guts to realize that he was a bust and demote him. We all thought that Gregg Williams had some sort of grudge last year (at least I did). Turns out he was doing what was in the best interest of his defense. Kudos to him !!

Posted by: freedom0125 | December 4, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't watch much college ball, so I'm not even sure who McFadden is. Curious to see what people think as far as what the Skins do in the draft next year. We do actually have a 1st rounder, right? Hard to remember with this management team.

Redcoat - it's all good.

As for this Lisa comment, no clue who she is (don't spend much time here), but sorry - the shaving crack was pretty damn funny. :P

Posted by: OldManGibbs | December 4, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

* Apologies for derailing conversation further with 2008 Draft talk *

The thing to me though 4th/Dorf is that McFadden will come with a HUGE price tag. The Fins will be in year 2 of a total rebuild and need almost an entire defense plus a couple of good receivers. To pick up McFadden is to use up most if not all of the money that would pay for those guys.

Why do that? That way we end up like the Bungles, needing to score 30+ every week just to have any chance to win...

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

RedCoat
I think I mentioned this to you before, but they'll take DT Dorsey with the first pick. I'm not Mel Kiper (thank God), but I think that's a pretty good guess.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not one of those people who hate Snyder or even disagree with his decision to use free agents to build a team. In fact, I recognize that Jurgensen, Riggins, Theismann, Moseley, Doug Williams, etc were all free agents or came thru trades. We can't draft all of our stars. That's a fact. I won't even mention partially obstructed seats or parking at the stadium. I'm all about what's happening on the field. This is what I see for us...
For a couple years, it appeared as though our recent free agent class was working out. Without mentioning the few busts over the past few years, we had Griffin, Moss, Washington, Springs, Thomas, Portis. Those guys (when healthy) were the best at their positions on our team. The fact is that they have not been healthy and now it's time to start looking at getting rid of them and replacing them with cheaper pieces. I'm still not sure why we as fans care about the salary cap or how much Snyder pays these guys. I challenge anyone to come up with a single player that the Skins wanted to keep but couldn't afford.
The truth is that we wind up paying more for the replacements, so affordability can't possibly be the issue. We just keep extending salaries and restructuring and I'm fine with that. This is what I have a problem with:
We need to know when to say 'Uncle'. this team is not close to winning it all and it's time to either start drafting and developing guys or start bringing in young free agents that can grow with the team. I understand that Gibbs was brought in here to win now but it aint gonna happen. lets' cut loose the reins on Campbell and see what Saunders' offense can really do. It's time to gear up for '08 because playoffs in '07 has been a pipe dream for months now.

Posted by: freedom0125 | December 4, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

WOW. People actually think we should target ANOTHER defensive player with our top pick. I believe there's a correlation between the picks we use on offense and the production from that unit.

We need to draft the best offensive player available. Unless CHRIS LONG is sitting there. Then F the offense. We need CHRIS LONG.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Am I wrong for laughing at that? It was just so...unexpected.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 02:13 PM

You're never wrong for laughing at something that you find funny. He was wrong for posting it and you were wrong for posting it a second time. It's a nasty, misogynistic and juvenile thing to put up here, and the Post ought to take it down. It violates their standard against "comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material" although I've only seen them enforce it once -- when someone (not Wilbon) was hating on Sean Taylor the night he died.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe, I think GA was telling me he thinks the Fins will take Dorsey. I just looked him up, so do I if we keep a high pick. We need more or less a whole new defensive line in Miami.

You guys, who knows who you'll pick!

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Well see, that's the problem with policies - they are only enforced when the site operator chooses. Otherwise that fraud Wilbon wouldn't be posting anything anywhere. If I hear him say "no account" one more time, I'm going to stop buying the Post...wait, I don't buy it now. oh. Hmm....He still sucks.

Posted by: OldManGibbs | December 4, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Good points freedom, but I'll play along:

"I challenge anyone to come up with a single player that the Skins wanted to keep but couldn't afford."
Dockery

"this team is not close to winning it all"
This team shouldn't be overly concerned with winning it all. We should be concerned with getting to playoffs regularly. Right now we live next door to the Lions and Bills. We need to move into the Broncos neighborhood before we can start thinking about winning it all.

We have a top 10 defense and a dynamic young QB. An overhaul isn't necessary. A few good young players can make the difference.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Joe, would you really want to pay Dock 49 million? He's paid like one of the best guards in the league, and I'd like to think that he's top 20, but not much more.

Not paying him, or Leonard Davis the contracts they got was being fiscally responsible.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Translation:

Dynamic: throwing interceptions and turning the ball over in the last two minutes of the game.

If the Redskins aren't careful, Jason Campbell will likely develop a Patrick Ramsey complex... he is talented, but the team is rarely in a position for him to win.

I'm not a Campbell basher, but I'd hate to see his talent be wasted by this futile offense.

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And giving Brunell a $8 Million signing bonus is fiscally responsible? Brandon Lloydd about $12 Mill in guarantees is fiscally responsible? Portis $20 million in guarantees was fiscally responsible?

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

talent speculator
Thanks dad, where would I be without your guidance?

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The Post will take it down if its offensive, and it clearly is.

They probably just haven't seen it yet.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 4, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's funny, Miami had a similar challenge with Todd Wade a while back. Miami drafted him (I'm sure), but then he wanted to 'get paid'. We let him go.

The first few games of this year when our O-line was trying to get introduced to one another while we were actually playing the games I would have liked that one back. Now, our O-line can run block and usually pass protects really well and I wouldn't give you anything for him.

Now finding a franchise QB and some - ANY - sort of defense? that's another matter.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Gregmarino, I would have liked if they could have extended his contract before he hit the open market. Or franchised him and worked out a deal.

In general, I think we're good at thwarting the cap. Very good at it. It bit us in the case of Dock, however.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

HEY ITS ME THE PERSON WHO LEFT THE "SHAVED" COMMENT. FREE SPEECH PEOPLE! LISA THREW SOME COMMENTS AT ME SO I THREW THEM BACK. SORRY TO PISS SOME OF YOU OFF BUT I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE AND VOICE MY OPINION TOO, NOT ONLY ABOUT THE SKINS BUT SOMEONE WHO TELLS ME TO "DISAPPEAR". GLAD SOME OF YOU FOUND IT FUNNY TOO.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | December 4, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

4th, I wasn't talking about those guys. I specifically was addressing Joe regarding, who we wanted to keep, but could not afford.

I'm fairly certain that you'll get no arguement that Brunell, and Lloyd were examples of being irresponsible. Hopefully, passing on paying a guard 49 million, is a sign of things to come.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

OH BY THE WAY, DON'T LISTEN TO GREG, HE THINKS HE IS A GM.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | December 4, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Joe, I agree that the Skins never actually get 'punished' by the cap, same as no-one else does, but it is increasingly cramping their ability to do things, just as it did wiht Miami through the late 90s and early 2000s because we had too much money locked up in our "top 5 defense".

Miami are having a bad year, but next season we will start somewhere around $30m UNDER the 2008 cap with a team roster that is several years per head younger. Bearing in mind that it's unlikely that either team will win the Super Bowl this year, where would you rather be?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 4, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm late coming to this party, but I read Mike Wise's piece earlier today, and thought it was very nice. Really captured the sense of loss, talking about little Jackie playing during her father's funeral. The innocence of children...

Re: draft picks - I was watching the SEC Championship game this weekend (husband is an Ole Miss fan, so the SEC is the conference we follow), and was impressed by LSU's Jacob Hester (no relation to the Bears' Devin). He reminds me of a Riggo RB the way he barrels through the line and runs over defenders in pursuit of that first-down mark. He looks like a good, strong RB. I'm not trying to run Portis out of town, don't misunderstand me. But Portis and Betts are the same type of RB - small, relatively fast. Jacob Hester is a different type - bigger, more like a lineman the way he blocks with his whole body while carrying the ball. Could be a good 3rd and short type of back, like the Bus was for the Steelers.

And speaking of barrelling through a defensive line, where the heck did Willis McGahee come from last night??? He was a joy to watch. I was rooting so hard last night for the Ravens to knock off the Pats, and they almost did it... the end was absolutely heartbreaking, and I am more mad at the Ravens coaches for calling that time out than anything. Honestly, if not for that time-out, the '72 Fins would have had their champagne toast last night. But the Ravens did not help their cause with the penalty yardage, especially the guy at the end - No. 57 on the defense - who racked up 30+ yards in PENALTIES on the kickoff... and Kyle Boller's Hail Mary at the end was perfect - until the receiver was stopped 2 yards shy of the goal line. Heartbreaking.

I agree with Jasno (I think it was Jasno who said this) - I think that Ray Lewis and a couple other Ravens played with a heavy heart, and were perhaps more inspired last night than in recent weeks. Sean's death has had a tremendous ripple effect throughout the league, as evidenced by the players who came to his funeral from other teams.

Posted by: jaradel | December 4, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Joe, I disagree about Dock, but respect your opinion. Yeah, I too wish we extended him, but we're getting as good a performance out of Kendall for a fraction of the cost.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Jaradel, I totally agree on the Wise piece... As much as JLC has shined through this situation, it doesn't get much better than Wise.

I saw your comment about the LSU kid Hester. Just a work horse. I didn't see him outside of the LSU-Arkansas game, but he really stood out to me. That and you just don't see white running backs these days. Not sure about the Riggo comparison (they're both white, so its a start) but its hard to compare people to Riggo.

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but Kendall is def a stop-gap measure. He may not last past this season.

We need to be like the patriots on that one a drop him (and Jansen) one season earlier than his capabilities vs. one season later. Thomas has a good 3 years left. Samuels will be here for a while, as well as Rabach.

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

4th -- Why don't you think Kendall will last past this season?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Looking back, it sure would be nice to have Dockery on the line.....wouldn't have given him 49 mil, but it sure would be nice. I know he isn't their only lineman, but they didn't give up a single sack that I can remember, and they ran all over us with 3rd string backs. Kendall is pretty quiet; have yet to see him pancake someone and we can't seem to get the run going to the right side or left anymore. I say our 1st 4 picks should go to OL and DL next april.....

Posted by: dlhaze | December 4, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The guy only practices once a week now because of his knees.

I think he will be our starting LG next year, but I just see him seriously wearing down by then. I doubt he'll be as reliable. Though, I do think he is doing a great job this year. He is constantly down the field throwing blocks for Portis.

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I like that Hester kid from LSU too. Seen them play several times this year and he runs tough. Wonder if he could be a good guy to backup Sellers and groom as his eventual replacement at FB. Blocks tough and has good hands out of the backfield as well.

We have so many needs, I think we should do the same as last year and take the best available player unless it is a QB or RB.

Posted by: cdubb | December 4, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Kendall has a couple more years left, he's under contract next year, and for short money too. Hopefully the team drafts a guard early, and grooms that person for when Kendall is gone.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Gregmarino, I agree that we're getting good production out of Kendall. So it makes losing Dockery feel a little better. But I don't see that PUSH out of Kendall that Dockery would get. Then again, I don't see the handful of false starts either, so maybe it's about even.

Kendall cost us a 5th rounder. Sometimes I think we're always taking 2 steps back just to take 1 step forward.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with those who say it starts and ends with the lines, both offensive and defensive. Our WR's, running backs and LB's and corners would all be playing so much better if we had stud lines. Picture Canbell getting 4 seconds or more each time he drops back, or Portis/Betts actually getting a hole to run through. Forget 1st and goal from the 3......we cant run it in, and we can't stop the other team from running it in......this is where we need to build. In my opinion, our "skill" positions are pretty solid.

Posted by: dlhaze | December 4, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Joe, while I agree, there is nothing we need more than draft picks, look at what happened with the Jets line once Kendall left. This was a good trade that the Redskins made.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Regarding draft issues, has anyone noticed that huge hole at the FS position caused by the tragic death of Sean Taylor? The entire defense was built around Sean and his abilities. There is no one on the roster who can replace him. Unless a topnotch FS is drafted with the first round pick in 2008, the entire defense will have to be changed out. In addition, Carlos Rogers has to be replaced. He won't be back to form until at least 2009, if ever.

So forget the talk about 1st round running backs and wide recivers and offensive linemen - it isn't going to happen.

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What this team NEEDS the most is a GM that can evaluate talent. Before that happens, every other action is simply more WASTE.

Posted by: Ireland2 | December 4, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry JJ;

It is free speech when it is a forum that is not hosted by a 3rd party.

But based upon your 'sense' of humor, I peg you no older than 19 and a virgin.

If you are not either of those things, then this world is in a world of hurt if you ever make decisions for a living that affect peoples lives.

Posted by: Zebraskins | December 4, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

He is constantly down the field throwing blocks for Portis.

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 03:15 PM

Seems like wasted effort. I can't remember when Portis last got downfield to take advantage of a block.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Tafka, I don't think that the Redskins can spend another high first round pick on a cb, or safety, but I could be wrong. I think that the OL/DL could use an infusion of youth. A big wideout wouldn't hurt either.

If the season ended today, does anyone know where we'd pick?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 03:19 PM

I think he was a good value for a fifth if we get another year or two out of him. In this case, two forward one back. He's a player, he's a pro. Who was our fifth pick this year? Wasn't it Sartz? Where's he now?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I think our off. line is good when healthy, our left side should be good for another year or 2, where we are hurting is at guard on the right fabini is just not good, and heyer can be pushed around by the better dlineman. but on the def side we dont have an the big body that needs to be double teamed most plays, griffins time has passed and combined with his injuries he isnt worth hanging onto. it would be nice to get some pressure with the front 4 but after dorsey and long im not sure that there are any 1st round dlineman there. and even with dorsey he has been plagued with injuries this whole year not even sure if he would be worth it to pick with the #1 pick.

Posted by: SAK2 | December 4, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

TE,

I'd be laughing really hard right now but for the fact that you statement isn't a joke.

I heard that Lovie Smith is gonna go after fudge'ems to replace bingus next year.

Posted by: Skinz | December 4, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No one really wants to talk about the blaring hole at FS. Tafka brings ups a good point, but its too soon to go through it all. How do you replace the center piece of your defense? I'm sure that conversation is going on at Redskins Park between the powers that be, but the fans (at least me) aren't ready to replace Sean Taylor. I think that's why I liked the 10 man starting D so much. It was so poignant a said volumes about what Sean Taylor meant to the team.

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If the season ended today, the pick would be somewhere between 10th and 16th, approximately. (There are a bunch of teams at 5-7.)

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If the season ended today, does anyone know where we'd pick?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 03:34 PM

Greg--It's between 10th and 16th (and rising). We need to keep stinking.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh Fudge-Ums. He'll solve all our problems! I have wanted to make references of our beloved cube of crap, but thought he had dissipated to the realm of obscurity in our hearts. Thanks Skinz for resurrecting Fudge-Ums!

Posted by: Dorf | December 4, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

So just catching up... we should probably expect to block a punt this week?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Nate--

A punt? As in only one? Come on think big. What do you think the special teams game plan is this week?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

And not kick to hester nate

Posted by: SAK2 | December 4, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I really don't like our defense scheme. I think it could be more aggressive. GG 1st 2 years here was the kind of D I thought we were getting......

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh PS. I hate the NE Patriots, watching that final drive of TO's, penalties, etc on 4th downs made me swear i'd never watch the NFL again.

That single drive makes me beleive that their march towards perfection is innevitable. Never has my love for the NFL been lower....

Posted by: Skinz | December 4, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Joe_in_Raleigh

I agree. If Chris Long is on the board, you draft him. Every time I see highlights, he's beating single and double teams and wreaking havoc in the backfield. I saw the MD/VA game and there was one drive late in a close game where he single-handedly disrupted an entire series. We haven't seen that type of play since one Dexter Manley was on our D-Line.

I also agree with the Parcells theory that you never pay top $ to rb's in this leagye. You can find a solid rb later in the draft or free agency

Posted by: gregskins | December 4, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

4th,
I agree. GW is calling the D like all of the players are healthy. You can't wait around for coverage sacks, unless the opposition has a really weak OL.

You have to blitz to keep the quarter back honest.

It even worked in the Eagles/Patriots game.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 4, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

talent, I appreciate your point of view. It wasn't an awful trade if we get 2-3 years out of him. Most 5th rounders don't last that long in the NFL.

But we lost a good LG AND a 5th rounder and only have an older LG of similar (maybe somewhat lesser) ability to show for it. That's what I mean by 2 steps back and 1 step forward. On the balance sheet, we're still in the red.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 4, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

In deference to Dorf's comments, here is a less painful look at the team's draft needs in 2008 -

Wide receiver (tall/possession type)
Left Tackle project
Left Guard project
Right Tackle
Fullback
Punter
Left Defensive End
Linebacker project (Sam)
Cornerback (probably 2)
Free Safety

The Redskins will have six picks available and there are at least nine holes to fill. Free agency? Forget about it - the cap situation is very bad - about $20 million over next year's cap already.

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

any idea who the free agents are going to be this year besides samuel.

Posted by: SAK2 | December 4, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Joe,

If we'd signed Dock, what would it have done to our salary cap? How could we have signed him plus Smoot and Fletcher? I'm in the camp that says Dock was good, but not worth those bucks. I see Kendall as good (for a while, anyway) and well worth what he's collecting.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 4, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I TOTALLY agree with 'Ireland'. Not only do we need a GM for evaluating talent, we need a GM that will give this team a direction and purpose- to become a year-in and year-out playoff contender that puts itself in position to make a SB run every few years or so.

I have been a proponent of Snyder on this blog from time to time but it's evident that giving 'total' control to JG has not been the answer. I'm glad we have an owner that will spend the money and is committed to winning. Syder now needs to take a page out of JKC's book and get a strong, proven track record, GM who will be given the latitude to develop a plan for the future.

We have been playing 'plugging the holes' for too long. I love JG but it's fairly evident that 2.0 is not working how he, we, and even Snyder anticipated. Where and how he fits in the picture...I don't know, but it cannot continue to be in the capacity he has had. It's NOT working!

Personally, it's my opinion that it's only way this once proud franchise can return to it's glory years- a strong GM who will look to maintain a long range view of things and not get off track with a consistent 'here and now' approach that has become so familiar with this franchise...'here and now' works when you're making the playoffs and looking to do a SB run. It sucks and DOES NOT WORK, as we have consistently seen, with our coaching changes and personnel moves.

The majority or this thread has now, once again, been about plugging holes...and, unfortunately and tragically, we have yet another one to fill that no one could have predicted. HTTR.

Posted by: seanc | December 4, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Tafka, couple things:

Right tackle - Currently, the Redskins have Jansen, Wade, and Heyer. Why do we need a 4th?

Linebacker project(sam) - Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't HB Blades fit this bill?

Punter? No need to waste a draft pick on a punter.

Fullback - Not a need per say, something the Redskins need to address in the next few years sure.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: SAK2 | December 4, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep...

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 4, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

We already have a Left Tackle prospect - Heyer
We already have a SAM LB prospect - Blades
We already have our RB of the Future prospect - Mason

Our #1 goal should be getting a tall receiver as I have stated over the past month. Campbell doesn't seem to do well throwing to anyone under 6'......

4th

Posted by: RightWay | December 4, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

New post from Jason.

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Jansen is done.
Blades is a "Mike" linebacker.
Wade is a backup.
Heyer is still a question mark.

The needs list is about where, not when. Each hole has to be prioritized.

Posted by: tafka | December 4, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Hester is white? Wow, I honestly didn't know that. Hopefully he won't become another Touchdown Tommy Vardell.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 4, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse