Lovie Smith hopes offense will cut down on sacks

The Chicago Bears' offensive line has been the league's worst in pass protection this season.

Quarterback Jay Cutler has been sacked an NFL-leading 23 times, including 16 in the past two games. Coach Lovie Smith hopes things are getting better.

"First off, we want to be able to keep the same group together for a while," Smith said. "This week, hopefully, we'll be able to do that, you know, start the same group consecutive weeks. And we do have some young players.

"Now, it's just the experience of continuing to put them in situations. We've seen progress being made. We're not where we need to be yet, but progress is being made. I'm hopeful that we're gonna see a big step, a big jump, in the play this week."

"Well, you know, Jay's been through quite a bit since he's been here," Smith said. "I've seen him go through all different type of situations. He's handled them all well. It's documented, some of the struggles we've had offensively.

"Of course, Jay's been a part of that, but [he] just keeps showing up. I like his leadership ability. I like him being able to do all the things we want our quarterback to do. I like having him in control and him leading us to the best record in the NFC right now."

By Jason Reid  | October 22, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Redskin, Terp Williams starts at guard for Bears
Next: Bears say Julius Peppers was worth it

Comments

Here comes Haney, Sakpo, LoZo and Landry.

Better wear a diaper Jay!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I've stopped reading the articles a while ago but isn't that a given? Doesn't every head coach wish to reduce sacks allowed?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"That would be good for Cutler, who suffered a concussion in the Bears' Week 4 loss to the New York Giants. The Giants had nine sacks in the game."

Actually, the Gints had 9 sacks on Cutler in the FIRST HALF.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Right...but its perfect for my special recipe...1 part lite beer...1 part Old Grand-Dad....4 and 12 can do that to a guy.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, a couple years ago Jose Q. was my friend. Almost got kicked out of the monastery for that, damn worms......

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"but [he] just keeps showing up."

By Jason Reid | October 22, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Ummmm...yeah...its called coming to work.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

What I miss? Cowboy trolls? Race/politics? 'Skins fan on 'Skins fan crime? General assbaggery?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM

Actually Red it seems like the blog has at least been attempting to put the breaks on the race/politics and 'Skins fan on 'Skins fan crime. Most people figured out how to ITA the peabrains and NPI and they have been posting less and less. Seems like most people have made a concerted effort to limit the personal attacks, although the haven't dissappeared altogether. It's good stuff. Now General Assbaggery? Well, that'll never die up here. F Cowpuke trolls.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I hate to poop in the punchbowl but how many times have the Skins faced a team that is 'the worst in the league at (insert stat)' only to have them suddenly gel and dominate our team in that particular category?

Just saying.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"Lovie Smith hopes offense will cut down on sacks"

I don't.

I hope AH goes off on these guys and gets his name in this here space for all the RIGHT reasons (for a change).

I wanna see Orakpo grab the league lead in the sacks after this game and get a couple more strip/sacks.

And most importantly, I wanna see Lovie Smith do his best Antoine Dodson impersonation when the sideline reporter interviews him on the way to the locker room:

Reporter: "Lovie, your much maligned offensive line has given up 4 sacks in this first half...what do you plan to do in the 2nd half to keep the Redskins pash rush at bay?"

Lovie: "YOU BETTA HIDE YO KIDS, HIDE YO WIFE, HIDE YO HUSBAND...CUZ THEY SACKIN' E'RYBODY OUT HERE!"

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Lovie: How's that "hope" thing workin' out for ya?

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 22, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

With Fat Bot (AH) taking on double and triple team lineman, I predict more than 9 sacks in one half!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the Skins defense will shut da Bears offense down. We've seen how aOline in flux hurts a team. The Skins have had their best rushing games against 4-3 teams. If that happens again, the Skins should win by more than 7 points.

Posted by: TWISI | October 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Just saying.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM

That was when he had sh*tty coaching and players with an inflated sense of entitlement. Both are mostly gone and I feel much better about us going into this game because we've seen more taking advantage of favorable matchups than we've seen in recent years.

Plus I have us losing to Detroit...so we HAVE to get this one...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I predict a close game and a combined 9 sacks (both teams will be giving up sacks).

The difference? CR22 holds onto a pick late in the 3rd quarter and takes it to the house, giving the Skins a two score lead.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Come on Brown not this year.The lost to the Rams was the wake up call.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

And once again, RI gets the redskins in trouble....SMH....that's why it is not imparative to report everything to the fans and media....I would have rather them kept theh hitstick thing to theirselves....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2010 3:32 PM

Apologies for "Beantowning" 4th on the hit stick article. I kinda figured that regular RI posters would appreciate the satire in the NFL fining players for passing around a hit stick. It's like something you'd read on the Onion. I guess nothing is too ridiculous in Goodell's brave new world of pu$$y football.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"CR22 holds onto a pick late in the 3rd quarter and takes it to the house"

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good one.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I half expect a post from Reid about this later, but just throwing this out there...Leigh Torrance might start for NO this week. Do with that information what you will...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 22, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

CR22 holds onto a pick!!!Bean agree with you. AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I hate to poop in the punchbowl...

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM

Welcome to the blog, first time poster. Around here you can do anything you want to the punchbowl. Just stay away from our pitcher of kool aid.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Pass whatever you're smoking down the line.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2010 3:32 PM

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM |

I am not really big on Mark Schlereth's rants/commentary but his urging that the NFL "stop catering to wimps and feminists" is spot on.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@ BeantownGreg1:

Law of averages, my man... law of averages.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Just saying.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM
--------------------------------
yeah..it does seem that way

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"CR22 holds onto a pick late in the 3rd quarter and takes it to the house"

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good one.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 10:47 AM

Hey, Wise-ass. It won't be the first time. It will be the eighth time. In six years in the league.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I think that Rogers TD Pick has been predicted every week on here so far haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Come on Brown not this year.The lost to the Rams was the wake up call.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM

You know I hope I'm wrong...but the Lions will be coming off a bye, playing at home, and get Matthew Stafford back in the lineup. Plus Jahvid Best scares the sh*t outta me. Unless BB16 takes one to the house, I could see us dropping that game after what will probably be a physical matchup with Chicago.

Again...hope I'm wrong...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Just saying.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree.

Skins games are becoming a public health crisis. I am concerned about my Old Man's blood pressure when he watches these games.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, are the root of a mental health crisis, based on the apparent delusions their supporters harbor.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 22, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

PlayAction: "I think that Rogers TD Pick has been predicted every week on here so far haha"

As far as I'm concerned, Rogers had a pick last week. Fortunately, it was ruled a drop because the end result would have been a lost fumble.

In any other football league, that's an interception last week.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 10:51 AM

NFL should make these things legal: pass interference, tackling by the face mask, roughing the passer, blocking from behind, late hits out of bounds. Now that's a sport we would all enjoy.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2010 10:31 AM

Plus I have us losing to Detroit...so we HAVE to get this one...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:42 AM
-----------------------------------------
Not necessarily...we gave up a lot of to the Rams and didn't take advantage of the rookie QB. The Colts run game was sh!t but they ran good on us...

We'll beat Detroit too....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Law of averages, my man... law of averages.

hasn't worked the first 6 years, why would it start now??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Considering they only have one legit passing threat we better hope CR22 has a good game. CR will be on Knox, hopefully Hall can jump the 2-4 targets they send Hesters way and finally stop getting burned.
Olsen scares me as well, and Forte is their second best pass catcher.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

In any other football league, that's an interception last week.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:57 AM

Right but he still couldn't just erase all doubt and actually hang on to the ball...I was talking more about the "Touchdown Pick" pick being predicted every week...think I called it once too haha.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 10:58 AM

Don't forget eye-gouging and groin strikes!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Brown I agree Jahvid Best is scary. But I don't think this game is going to be as physical as people think.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Might have been posted already, but if not, check out NFL dot com...O-line confidental. Entertainment about the Skins' O-line.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 22, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 10:51 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 10:58 AM
-------------------------------------------
Add to this having a scrum instead of coin toss for who gets first possession. Queue up the ball machine and have both teams line up in onsides kick formation. When the ball is launched, let them go for it.

I also want to bring back stick 'em, sharpened spikes, and the elimination of mouth guards.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 22, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

No more arguing about CR22. I'll just have to come back here and say, "I told you so" after he scores.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The Redskin's D has been putting a hurt on its opponent the last few weeks. Have you seen the injury list for the Colts this week? Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, and Austin Collie are out. The packers lost about every tight end and Rodgers had a concussion. The Eagles lost Michael Vick. Good thing the Bears have a bye week they'll need it.

I don't care how many sacks the 'skins get, I just want see Collins and then the 3rd stringer.

I also want to Forte get tackle before he reaches el matador - Kareem Moore.

Posted by: bangkokben | October 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

We'll beat Detroit too....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 11:00 AM

Rams are better than people think and the Colts got most of their rushing yardage on one drive. Plus I said "we've seen MORE taking advantage of favorable matchups than we've seen in recent years"...not ALWAYS. I'm still convinced if we had last year's coaches/players we'd be 0-6...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 11:03 AM
------------------------------------------
I predict he'll get a sack. I think he's still a few weeks away from his pick six.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

don't hold your breath...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I see the talk about a "physical game" with the Bears...impling that it'll take a toll on the Skins...news flash!..we're physical..ask any of the 6 teams that we played so far..each game we have put someone out..so if its a physical game.. so be it..thats all we do..all day...all game..

And we'll beat Detroit..we get physical!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Alan pass the dutchie on the left hand side!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I does seem like in days leading up to a game if a team has a glaring weakness or something abvious that the Redskins should be able to exploit, we end up losing, and yeah, it happened alot in the past regime but we lost to St. Louis..So, I don't think anything is guaranteed.

Posted by: fullonfully | October 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fullonfully | October 22, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fullonfully | October 22, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

What I want to see more than anything is the offense scoring more TD's in the red zone. We have left a lot of points out on the field. It has been fun watching this year even though there have been obvious growing pains. I hope McNabb gets his money.

Posted by: fullonfully | October 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse