Maake Kemoeatu could make Albert Haynesworth's job easier

Sure Maake Kemoeatu is pretty happy about his new contract with the Redskins, but the safe guess is that Albert Haynesworth could be just as excited. If Kemoeatu is healthy and can earn playing time, it could make Haynesworth's world a whole lot better.

Let's start with Question No. 1: Will Kemoeatu start?

He's a 345-pound nose tackle who's been a regular starter in the NFL dating back to 2005 when he was still with Baltimore. So certainly, it'd seem the skill level is there. The real question is, will he be healthy enough to start? His agent, Kenneth Vierra, said the possibility of him starting for the Redskins came up while Kemoeatu was meeting with coaches on Tuesday.

"There's no guarantees on that," Vierra said. "I guranatee you, though, Jim Haslett is going to play the best player."

And Vierra said Kemoeatu wouldn't be coming to Washington unless he felt he'd be healthy enough to show that he's the best player.

So Question No. 2 then becomes: What does this mean for Haynesworth?

Haynesworth is a play-maker, and one of the reasons he signed with the Redskins -- aside from the $100 million -- was because he thought he could make plays in a 4-3 defense. Since Mike Shanahan and Jim Haslett took over and it became apparent the team would be relying more heavily on a 3-4 base in 2010, Haynesworth's exact role has been up in the air.

In a 3-4, the nose tackle doesn't make plays or get to the quarterback as much as he clogs holes and takes on double teams. In short, the nose tackle is the best friend of the guys around him because they're then freed-up to make plays.

If Kemoeatu is ready to go by August and can take over the nose tackle spot, it could mean Albert Haynesworth slides over to the defensive end position where he'd have a better chance of getting to the quarterback. A lot will hinge on Kemoeatu's rehabilitation. He passed a physical
this week, which means that his Achilles is structurally fine, but he's still several months away from being in football shape. Kemoeatu's expected to resume his rehab work in the Washington area very soon.

"I know right now, he's doing very aggressive treadmill work," Vierra. "I can tell if everything goes well, he should be ready by training camp."

By Rick Maese  |  March 10, 2010; 1:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Running back Larry Johnson to visit Redskins
Next: QB or not QB: Wonderlic test provides few answers

Comments

I say sign Larry Johnson to a minimum contract and use him only on 3rd and 1 and goal line situations. He is a big strong back and he can carry couple of tacklers for first downs. Can't get any worse than Portis losing 2 yards on a 3rd and 1. Your thoughts???

Posted by: TheJury | March 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

What do I do now?

Posted by: League-Source | March 10, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a great signing. If he isn't healthy, then the Skins lose nothing.

If he is healthy, I mean, who is going to run against a line of Daniel, him, and Big Al? And a happy Big Al is hopefully a less winded Big Al...

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | March 10, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it is a "no duh" move that best starting front in a 3-4 would be Hayneworth-healthy NT-Daniels.

Posted by: dcsween | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who cringes whenever I read about Haynesworth playing end? I LOVE the guy as a 4-3 DT, because he was such a force up the middle. By mid season last year I was actually confident that our defense could shut down any and every rush attempt on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. That was a nice little luxury. I don’t know exactly how they would use him, but I just can’t see big Al being responsible for outside contain; he’s just not fast enough. Hopefully they would only use him as an end on obvious passing downs, or at least have an LB outside of him responsible for the sidelines.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Pass on LJ and see if Best from Cal is available in the 2nd.

Posted by: quinn3 | March 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I like Jahvid Best, but I think our 2nd rounder could be better used on more OL help -- even if we end up taking Okung at #4.

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 10, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

In fact our O-line would end up getting Best killed. You gotta create something to get him into open space, we are unable to do that currently. Best would be pancaked on a lot of tackles for loss. I like Best but im in foravor of drafting a bigger bodied back this year. But not gonna complain if talent falls in our lap, such as a Best or McCluster further down.

Posted by: Stu27 | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

And a happy Big Al is hopefully a less winded Big Al...

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | March 10, 2010 1:56 PM

I think you're confusing a happy Big Al with an in-shape Big Al.

Posted by: League-Source | March 10, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis, Wille Parker, Larry Johnson ... why have only one reliable fantasy football starting RB when you can have two? Let's get Tomlinson and Westbrook in here too.

Posted by: dcsween | March 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | March 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Putting LJ in as the RB in goal line situations will make CP cry like a baby. He wants to score the points, not do the work and no reward.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 10, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

LOVE IT!!!!! GREAT SIGNING!!!!!

Posted by: frmi | March 10, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"Jahvid Best? Barf," thought Kevin Barnes.

Posted by: dcsween | March 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If healthy, I like the lineup of Haynesworth, Kemoeatu, and Daniels. It should be difficult to run on those guys. I think the DT/NT from GA (Owens) would be a nice mid round pick for depth at the tackle position.

Posted by: TWISI | March 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

dl, you're not alone. I think if Haynie as a run-stopper who occasionally manages to push into the backfield and threaten the QB.

He seems to get winded enough that I can't imagine him on the edges chasing down RBs and QBs who get a chance to put a move on him.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 10, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

How good is LJ at blocking? Can they use him as a fullback? Put him back there with Portis and that could give the team a two-headed monster in the backfield. Plus LJ has pretty good hands, so he would provide more options than Sellers in the passing game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 10, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

In some ways, he's a Joe Gibbs QB, and Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls and went to an NFC championship game with 4 different QBs.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2010 1:49 PM
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
?????

And Gibbs smartly grabs his legacy and runs back to NASCAR.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 10, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, has Stompy EVER played End?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 10, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Am I the only one who cringes whenever I read about Haynesworth playing end?"

No, because when Orakpo drops down and rushes the QB for all intents and purposes Big Al will be a DT.

Plus you can move him around some, exactly like Reggie White was used.

I think opposing QB should be very scared to see Orakpo and Big Al coming from the same side....the blind side! :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse
Probably. DE in 3-4 does not have outside contain responsibilities. OLB has that responsibility.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

And a happy Big Al is hopefully a less winded Big Al...

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | March 10, 2010 1:56 PM

I think you're confusing a happy Big Al with an in-shape Big Al.

Posted by: League-Source | March 10, 2010 1:59 PM
===============================================================================
Wonder if Big Al has been warned that a Shanny preseason camp has been compared to Parris Island? And Parris Island was the easier of the two.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 10, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | March 10, 2010 2:00 PM

Perfect! Now he can start running it in from ten-yards out instead of falling down or getting caught from behind on the three.

Posted by: League-Source | March 10, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Pass on LJ. Draft Lagerette Blount

Posted by: coparker5 | March 10, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | March 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not worried either. Maybe that's why Carter is still here. We're not setting a 3-4 in stone. From the sound of it we may run whatever is best with the best players for each situation. Perhaps we run a 4-3 in short yardage? I'm convinced that we are building a defense capable of just about anything. I'm interested to see how this works out. Will it be a swiss army knife of total destruction or will it be a failure of all trades and a master of none?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 10, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Someone explain to me how Fat Albert will be able to get to the QB from the end position, you can't bull rush your way to the QB every passing down.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 10, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM, if JC is such a clear loser why do you think Allen/Shanahan tendered him a first rounder?

I'm actually curious what you think, because former starters (winners, even!) like Jake Delhomme and Derek Anderson are on the street right now. I'm pretty sure Snyder would not have objected if the new regime said, "he's a loser and his contract's expired. Let's move on."

Posted by: Alan4 | March 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't see LJ walking away from Washington with an offer. This guy is still on probation for another year, and Allen is trying to build a roster full of positive locker room gems. They should pass up trading a 4th rounder for Marshawn Lynch for the same reason. With his detrimental character issues, Shanahan will probably pass over him for another Veteran #2 RB.I'm thinking LT or Brian Westbrook if the price is right and they get the thumbs up from Doctors.

The only reason he's being brought in is to light a fire under Portis. Any move at this position will be for stop-gap purposes anyways, as I foresee Shanahan building through the draft and bringing in unheralded undrafted guys akin to Mike Bell.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | March 10, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | March 10, 2010 2:15 PM

As a DT in a 4-3 that's what he used power along with being doubled all the time/ as a DE in 3-4 with a OLB he'll have more space to work with and be even more effective with more one on one's if we can if KEMO or whoever can man the NT position.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 10, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"And a happy Big Al is hopefully a less winded Big Al..."

For the record, that was a joke (for the most part). I do think that a happy Al will be a motivated Haynesworth which seems to be pretty important....

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | March 10, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 10, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Right. I think it will change with different opponents, also. 4-3 as base against some teams, 3-4 against others. Then switching up some to confuse QB.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 10, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Cody is down to 349 pounds. I think he's showing good work ethic. I must admit that I' surprised by that. Could be a sleeper pick for the Skins in the second round.

Posted by: TWISI | March 10, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Signing Kemoeatu is like buying a Toyota...might work; might not.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 10, 2010 2:13 PM
=====================================

I'm hoping that we do not see LL30 at FS next year. Put him back at SS, and start a competent FS.
~
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 10, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

What would make Haynesworth's job easier is if Jason Campbell QB'd the team better and if Obama ran the country better.

Afterall, it's trendy to blame them for EVERYTHING that goes on in D.C.

Can't get it up anymore? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Kid keeps pissing the bed at age nine? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Daughter letting dudes bareback her? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Hate your in-laws? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Brother slept with and knocked up your wife? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

People talking about you behind your back on your job? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Lack of news regarding Redskins? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Posted by: RedDMV | March 10, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

red, its been peaceful for a couple two three posts...don't get stuff riled up again please...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 10, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sthai75 | March 10, 2010 2:20 PM
He's still not fast enough on passing downs, that's a main reason why he'd rather play in 4-3.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 10, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Unemployment out the roof, blame Obama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1-
DO you know how a 3-4 works? DEs are no more responsible for outside contain in a 3-4 than FAT AL is for being a good teammate. 3-4 ends main responsibility are to stop the rush to their respective side, while any toss or pitch are for the OUTSIDE LBS to stop. Thus, it will be Orakpo and Carter (if we stupidly move him over) or however else we get to handle the other OLB spot. Thus, Haynesworth will actually be playing a position that fits his skill set, penetrating through double teams (something he excels at) and disrupting the run and passing lanes... IFFFF he wants it and works hard like he did in his franchise tag years, he'll be an extremely disruptive force from the end position in a 3-4.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Lack of news regarding Redskins? Blame Jason Campbell and Obama

Posted by: RedDMV | March 10, 2010 2:26 PM

Please, everyone knows to blame JReid for this one.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Our country in massive debt, blame Obama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Listen to you posters, All with your fantasy FA picks. Like a bunch of Daniel Snyders. No one is talking OL, just RB's which come a dime a dozen.

Posted by: ged0386 | March 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

On the RB front, I am a big fan of Brian Westbrook. If he is recovered from the concussion problem I think he has quite a bit left in the tank. My only concern with him apart from the concussion issue is whether he is enough of a change of pace from CP26. In the final analysis, though, if his health checks out I would go with him above any of the other FA RBs out there right now as someone to handle some 3rd down duties and provide solid depth. I can guarantee you that he would (1) love to get a chance to play against the Eagles twice a year; (2) love to play on a team with his brother; and (3) love to play for the team he grew up rooting for. He would be a good fit here.

Posted by: manlius1 | March 10, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 10, 2010 2:27 PM |

Looks like McMetal has rubbed off on someone...

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 10, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Weakening of our defenses, blame Obama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

NFL QB position the most difficult to master in all professional sports. All we're saying is JC17 here for another year because his upside is still untapped? NO. He's here because nobody wants him and shanny has no alternatives.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 10, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

curz, ha, just don't feel like hearing everyone's political views, and how they think their particular view is the one, and everyone should get in line behind them....we did that already today...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 10, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope this works out Jason so you can stop insisting Haynesworth become a NT which we all know is not going to work. The man made his feelings perfectly clear last year, why would we want to get him started again?

Posted by: MHEDRLT | March 10, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I live in NC and the sports talk radio guys are major Panthers homers. I remember when Kemoeatu went down it was a big deal. They acted as if the D-line would not function without him, so he was pretty important to them it seemed.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 10, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Republicans to route in Nov, blame...

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ged0386 | March 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I like this guy.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 10, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can we stop the JC talk? It is such a worn out topic. People using the "dump down" argument do not account for the oline he played with the last 2 years, people who attribute his record down at the end of games do not account for the terrible wrs he has had or the lack of, again, an oline protecting him... enabling him to make the necessary throws.

Is he a pro-bowl qb? No, is he the future in DC, probably not. Is he the main problem on this team? No. Clearly, none of you had any problems with the man 2 years ago when we were sitting at 6-2, he was playing like a pro-bowl qb and our team was winning. Yet, take away the oline, any semblence of a running game, and imput a coach who, lost the team, no one trusted and was clearly overmatched and now hes the worst player in the history of DC and the main reason we went 4-12 last year.

People, understand football is a team game. Campbell has his issues, mainly he is pretty inaccurate, he makes some poor decisions and is slow to react, holding onto the ball too long... and he cant slide to save his life. But, how much of that is due to the fact that he just doesn't have talent around him? No open wrs force him to hold the ball. The fact that he DOES NOT FEEL at all comfortable in the pocket certainly hurts his accuracy, and his 0 running game makes him have to beat teams with 6-7 guys in coverage every play. He certainly is not the answer, but he is not the main problem... can we stop this please?

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 10, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Six Flags is not bankrupt.. its under Bankruptcy protection (Chap 11). And, last I looked on Hoovers, Snyder is still Chairman with a vested interest.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 10, 2010 11:56 AM

Six Flags declared bankruptcy on June 13, 2009, when it filed for bankruptcy protection in Delaware. There is presently a trial in Delaware Bankruptcy Court to determine how the assets will be divided among the debtholders. The common stockholders will be wiped out when the trial concludes in about two weeks.

Posted by: League-Source | March 10, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth at 330, Kemoeatu at 345 and Daniels at 285/290 would give the Redskins one of the biggest if not the biggest DL in the NFL.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Curz, how bout them Lobos!? BTW, what does beep beep mean?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Curz, how bout them Lobos!? BTW, what does beep beep mean?

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 10, 2010 2:44 PM

Am excited to see how far they can go in the Tourney.

Beep Beep (or any other honking noise) is used to say that there is a new thread.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Pass on LJ and see if Best from Cal is available in the 2nd.

Posted by: quinn3 | March 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 10, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think our first two picks will go OT-QB (or QB-OT). Especially if the 'Skins sign (Hopefully Still) Fast Willie or some other FA running back.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 10, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Signing Kemoeatu is like buying a Toyota...might work; might not.

Posted by: smokeybear2

But the pre-2000 Toyotas and Nissans are GOLD...

Posted by: frak | March 10, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, blame him for not being able to push 700 pounds of resistive force and get a sack on every drop back.

Could he be in better shape? Yes. I think "bull rushing" 2 300+ pound lineman isn't as easy as you might think.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

This is a great signing, now can we sign a safety... Bruce get this done.

Posted by: taylormade218 | March 10, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they will trade Haynesworth for players and/or picks.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 10, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"funny you should say this, when Gibbs 2.0 v. 2007 was heading into an embarrassing and possible historical dustbin of "should Gibb's HOF bust be removed" during the 0-4 W-L losing streak QB'd by JC.. Only to have JC injured and Collins goes 4-0 to the playoffs saving Gibbs 2.0."
Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Funny YOU should say that, as Gibbs version 1.0 c. 1982 had a far more embarrassing losing streak (5 consecutive) right at the beginning of Joe's tenure, and somehow managed to recover from the lip of the historical dustbin to finish 8-8 and go on to win... well, you know the rest, or should.

Gibbs traded up to draft Campbell. He thought he was his sort of QB.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

About this vision of the 3-4 NT as big immovable guy who never makes a tackle: it ain't so. That's how Tony Siragusa played it, and it's how Haloti Ngota plays it, but it's extremely helpful to have someone who can come in on occasion, park himself over center, and 'blow up' the protection right back into the quarterback's lap. That's something Albert Haynesworth is fully capable of.

Albert's a rotation player. Not an every down guy.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If BIG if this guy can get healthy the run D just got better. We need a quick inside LB to scrape unless they use Rocky on the inside which is probably best for him. Chris Wilson will be an awesome 3-4 rush LB.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | March 10, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth is a play-maker, and one of the reasons he signed with the Redskins -- aside from the $100 million.."

There is nothing, aside from the $100 million.

Posted by: Pepper5 | March 10, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | March 10, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Most injury prone?

Posted by: Pepper5 | March 10, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Very strong misconception. Haynesworth was actually considered fast enough to play End in a 4-3 and was used in that role at times in Tenneessee. Thats why Haynesworth is so good, not only is he a mammoth of a man with insane strength but he's among the quickest big men in the game. His true weakness is his conditioning.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 10, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 10, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

======================================

Short area quickness - yes; speed to get outside - no. I'm sorry, but I just don't see him chasing down too many running backs.

Posted by: arizona4 | March 10, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I can understand the frustration w/ JC, but most of the reasons everyone is listing can be attributed to the issues with the OL and the WR's. Inaccurate, when you got a DE breathing down your neck, Holding the ball too long, when your receivers can't get open. Give the guy a shot with a real OL and see. His numbers have been alright(sometimes, better than alright) when the team is playing well. Carlos Rogers need to go, but they made sure THAT deal will NEVER happen this year... Get the OL in shape, get another shut down corner(DeAH still needs to prove himself to me), some quality WR's and that FS. It ain't gonna happen overnight, folks...

Posted by: BillStoner | March 10, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

LJ is a terrible run blocker and if you don't have wide open holes he just falls down...that the reason KC dumped him....and the facebook thing, and the beating up women. I'm actually suprised they'd even look at the guy.

Posted by: orioledw | March 10, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Great, now we have two fat guys on the defensive line. One is out of shape and one can't run. Hope Allen knows what he is doing.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | March 10, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

apologize for America. Blame Obama!!!!!

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 10, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

How about a 4-3, with Kemoeatu and Haynesworth in the middle, and with Daniels and Carter as ends?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | March 10, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Apparently for all you nay sayers...when Big Al played at Tenn...he did play end on some pass rushing downs...he is an attacker, if pushes from the end that will draw an automatic double team, freeing up players, from all over, depending on blitz scheme, if they blitz, etc...everyone wants to be negative, when hell they dont even know for sure what is going to happen...let this play out, he!! we havent had any mini-camps,OTAs nor a training camp to see what all will transpire...we waited this long for new management, they've been patient with the FA signings, etc...how about we do our part now...

Posted by: alstars85 | March 10, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alstars85 | March 10, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 10, 2010 2:16 PM
=========================================
ALAN4
Tendering a player as a 1st rounder is not a vote of confidence that JC is not a "loser".
A vote of confidence would of been what JC and his agent wanted, a Contract Extension.

For just 124K more the Skins could of shown a little more confidence in JC..but, decided to see what they could get for him..and invite other teams to make offers..

From Rich Campbell..
The Washington Redskins yesterday began solidifying their roster for 2010 by tendering qualifying offers to most of their 10 restricted free agents, and they turned a few heads with a tender to quarterback Jason Campbell that was lower than many league observers expected.

Campbell received a qualifying offer at the first-round level worth $3.14 million for one year, according to a league source with knowledge with the situation. If Campbell signs an offer sheet with another team, the Redskins would have seven days to match it. If they choose not to, they'd receive that team's first-round pick as compensation for losing Campbell.....

For only $124,750 more, however, the Redskins could have protected Campbell much more securely with a first- and third-round tender.

Although it's unlikely that a team would give up a first-round pick for him, it's almost certain no team would give up first- and third-rounders.......

Yesterday's decision was the strongest indication yet of new coach Mike Shanahan's tepid desire to commit to Campbell as the Redskins' long-term solution at quarterback. The Redskins still could trade him before the season.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 10, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | March 10, 2010 2:16 PM
=========================================
ALAN4

From Rich Campbell..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

if haynesworth will play more DE than he needs to go from 355 to 320lbs he is quick for a man that size but with less weight he will be quicker around the size reggie white was when he played. as for obama running the country better..whites have systematically destroyed their own so-called country long before obama became the president which is nothing more than a figure head position many of you stupid, reptillian type whites will as you have ALWAYS done scapegoat blacks for every evil that you yourselves commit with your own hands. enough with the j. campbell talk.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 10, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 10, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1, in a 3-4, the ends are really tackles. The outside linebackers have outside contain.

Posted by: truthbeknown | March 10, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Holy Crap that's a lot of beef. That's nearly 700 pounds up front. I hope it's not all dead weight.

Posted by: Meepo | March 10, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

shoulda just kept CGriff

Posted by: divi3 | March 10, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Nobody runs against us now!

Posted by: double50 | March 10, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Smokey Bear Two, we were running a surplus before we got 8 years of Bush; HE is the one who has given us the lion's share of this massive debt. And it started with Reaganomics.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse